Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.

Moderator: Priest

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Within what seems minutes, barely enough time for the good Klevendon, a somewhat white faced Klevendon, to digest the idea of two, not one, creatures somewhere within the sewers, the cab arrives at its destination.

"Ere we is then the 'Kings Ead'. I seems to recall readin somethin abaht this place in the papers, but I forgets wot it was now" mutters the cabbie as he nimbly, for a retired soldier, jumps down and opens the door.

Inside the inn, things seem to have changed little since your last visit, in fact, although you couldn't swear to it, it looks like Jacobs, the proprieter, is wearing the same apron as he was before, with just a few new stains to mark the difference.

"Well I'll be...Genelemen and Miss, welcome back to me 'umble inn. How can I assist you today, somthin to eat prahps. or a jar of ale?". As he finishes speaking Jacobs flashes a sideways glance at the door to the back yard. It is closed and you can see that at least two new heavy iron bolts have been added since your last visit
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Tabs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:13 am

"A room, Mr. Jacobs," says Klevendon, "for us Gentlemen, and another for the Lady." He points to all of their paraphernalia: "And somebody to port this lot to said rooms, my good man."

"Food and ale, an excellent notion!" says Roxborough.
As he finishes speaking Jacobs flashes a sideways glance at the door to the back yard. It is closed and you can see that at least two new heavy iron bolts have been added since your last visit
"More trouble with ghosties?"
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Previously Klevendon said:   "A room, Mr. Jacobs,". "for us Gentlemen, and another for the Lady". "And somebody to port this lot to said rooms, my good man."  


Jacobs nods, then bows most humbly, "Indeed sir. It shall be as you say." he pulls a large leather bound writing book from beneath the counter, "We 'as two rooms hempty, if you gentlemen don't mind sharin the young lady may have the other one hoverlookin the yard". He turns and shouts at a young lad who is currently collecting plates and glasses off the tables, "Oi, Nathaniel, help the gentlemen and the lady wiv their bags to rooms two hand four", You watch as the young lad in an apron almost as stained as that worn by Jacobs stops what he is doing and hurries to assist.

Previously Roxborough said:   "Food and ale, an excellent notion!"  


"But of course sir, may I suggest the jellied eels todays special?"

At Roxborough's next words, Jacobs gulps and flashes another quick glance towards the bolted door, "Nah, but you can never be to careful"
His words, delivered in a low mumble, is enough to bring a burst of laughter form elsewhere in the room.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Papa Gateau » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:02 pm

OOC:   Sorry folks, I'm not receiving email notifications from the forum  


Yes indeed, I'll start with the jellied eels and tankard of your finest ale and I'll follow that up with your rather tasty pie.

We'll be back down in a few minutes once we have perused our rooms.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
User avatar
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Gers, France

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby carnage_lee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Image

Nellie rolls her eyes at Roxborough's reaction to the mention of food. "Careful... we wouldn't want you to get stuck.." she quips.

Nellie motions Jacobs over, "My friends and I shall be wanting to go into the yard again.. is there a more discrete entrance?" she asks in conspiratorial tones.
User avatar
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 am
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Tabs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm

The "burst of laughter," Klevendon discreetly surveys the room to ascertain who it was.
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:09 pm

Looking discreetly about the inn, Klevendon concludes that it could have been any of the five other patrons. Although as he watches a surly faced individual with a grin that displays a distinct lack of teeth begins to slowly tap his stick on the flagstone floor.
At the tapping sound Jacobs at first goes very pale, glances at the door. Then realising he has again become the butt of the joke reddens and glares towards the group of five, who are now doing their utmost to maintain straight faces.

"Oi, any mores uv thaht and you lot is ban..." he shakes his head as if realising he is in no position to throw out paying customers and hurries off towards the kitchens.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Tabs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am

Klevendon goes to his room and fiddles with the Stonway Tracking Device until he becomes fully acquainted with the machine.
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Papa Gateau » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Roxborough places his equipment in the room and glances at Klevendon

Think you've got the hang of that thing, Klevenedon? I'm interested to see how well it works - could prove useful out in the field he smiles.

His stomach then lets out a low, long, gurgle. He pats his tummy affectionately "I say, shall we head down for lunch?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
User avatar
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Gers, France

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Tabs » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 pm

"We'll see," answers Klevendon as he twiddles a knob. " 'Lunch'--are you serious, Mr. Roxborough?"
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Previously Nellie said:   "My friends and I shall be wanting to go into the yard again.. is there a more discrete entrance?" she asks in conspiratorial tones.  


Jacobs turns to Nellie as he heads for the kitchen, "Sides the door" he gestures towards the bolted edifice, "There is only the cellar entrance. But may I arsk why you needs to be going out there? Since your last visit no one's bin aht the back"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby carnage_lee » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Image

Nellie nods at Jacobs' answer and motions him over. Nellie takes an exaggerated look around the tap-room, motioning the burly barman closer. "We need your discretion.." then steeling herself against Jabobs' expected foul breath she answers him, she leans closer. "My colleagues and I have been tasked with finding out more about the visitation that you bravely endured the other day." Nellie makes another theatrical show of looking around to make sure that they are not being overheard. "Some very important parties are interested to get to the bottom of the mystery of what occurred outside.. " Nellie hopes that she's done enough to bamboozle the poor sot.
User avatar
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 am
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Jacobs winks in a conspiratorial way at Nellie, a most overexagerated wink, he also taps the side of his nose with one begrimed finger, "Thawt as much".
He like Nellie, takes a long slow look around the baroom, lingering on the group at the far side, who return his stare with interest.
"There is somethin strange going on around 'ere. Though why Old Nick should be interested in me I don't know, of course it could 'ave bin old Spring 'eeled Jack, a visitin, they do say he was partial to these parts."
He finishes with a shudder, as if spooked by his own thinking, and continues towards the kitchen, flinging a last sour look at the group over the far side of the room.
"The lad'll carry your luggage up to the room, I 'opes you finds it to yer likin"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby carnage_lee » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Horatio Wellington

The detective raises an eyebrow and ejects a small snort of derision as he sucks on his ever present pipe, as he overhears Jacobs' reference to Spring Heeled Jack.

Acting to cut off any more spurious remarks he steps to the counter.. "Thank you for your co-operation." he adds brusquely as Jacobs turns, once again, towards the kitchen.

OOC:   Can we take it that all the characters repair to their allotted rooms, change their attire and equip themselves ready to enter the sewer tunnels?  
User avatar
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 am
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Time passes quickly and eventually our noble band of investigators stand, fully equipped, at the cover of the sewer entrance behind the Kings Head. The alleyway is quiet, its silence disturbing in its totality. A sudden low, reverberating rumble almost makes you jump, but a slightly shamefaced smile shows its source, "Sorry about that, two helpings of jellied eels you know".

The alleyway looks the same as it did before, even the bloodstains from the horse look relatively fresh...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Tabs » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Klevendon straps on the Stonway and turns it on "Ping"! "I say," he gulps, "is Mr. Roxborough going first?"
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Papa Gateau » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:31 am

Indeed! Let me lead the way!. Klevendon dear fellow, you come next - let's see what that contraption can show us eh? Nellie, my dear, if you would be so good as stay in the middle of the party. Wellington bring up the rear, remember to check behind us - don't want any nasty surprises coming up from behind when the firepower is at the front.

Remember everyone, keep quiet - stealth is our ally!

Have no fear, Peter Roxborough is here!
he taps his enormous rifle affectionately and heads to the sewer entrance, a huge smile beaming across his face.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
User avatar
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Gers, France

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Priest » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:01 am

The lid of the sewer is suprisingly easy to remove, but then it had been opened very recently. As the hole is uncovered, two things immediately catch your attention, one the awful smell, and two the depth of the darkness that obscures the bottom of the shaft and the tunnel that runs beneath the ground.
Within you can hear a muffled drip, drip of water and a distant rushing sound either wind or water.

As you shine your lamps inside you can see that iron ladder rungs descend, and at its base, where the tunnel begins, a white painted sign admonishes the reader to "Mind your head".
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
User avatar
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Tabs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Klevendon stands aside for Roxborough, inwardly he sighs with relief when the hunter confirms that he is to go first and also wondering what to do if a monster does rear its head,--literally--run, probably. He says: "I wish I could share in your confidence, Mr. Roxborough!"

"Good grief! what a stink."
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Act V: 'Into the Sewers'

Postby Papa Gateau » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Breathe through your mouths - it will make the smell a little more bearable

Roxborough examines the rungs on the ladder - looking to see if there are fresh marks on them or whether the old ones have started to corrode or mildew over.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
User avatar
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Gers, France

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues of Adventure

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests