Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

The son of a sitter in the House of Lords has gone missing! Obviously, Lord Godfrey Sommers would like to avoid a scandal...

Moderator: Dr. Bloodworth

Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Dr. Bloodworth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Image

As Reg and Maud walk up to the door of Borelli's rooms, they can hear haltingly-played violin music. Maud raps sharply on the door and then ducks behind Reg's massive frame. They can hear grumbled curses and shuffling from inside, and after a moment, the door swings open and a small man blinks at the two expectantly. He has dark circles under his eyes as if he hasn't slept well for several days.

"Good evening -- can I help you?"

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's a picture from Nosferatu, but darn it that looks like him.
User avatar
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:24 am

Image

"Good evening, Mr. Borrelli," says Reg, sticking out his hand. "I'm Reg Smythe, and this is Miss Marrick. I'm sorry to disturb you, but we're looking for Arthur. Do you know what's happened to him?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37215
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby aine » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Maud peeks her head round and bobs a curtsey. "Yes, how do you do sir? Please help us, we're ever so worried about him."
Spoiler:
And I thought the two downstairs were scary-lookers.
Spoiler:
I won't be posting until Sunday night so please NPC me if necessary.
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Dr. Bloodworth » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Image

Mr. Borelli shakes Reg's offered hand weakly. "Fine, fine, I'm just fine," the man mutters, almost half to himself. He cranes his neck out past Reg and Maud to look around the landing and onto the stairs. "Come in, come in, I don't feel comfortable talking out here." He totters away, the two following him into his rooms. The rooms are furnished in two contrasting styles - on the one hand, opulent, with dark wallpaper and many statues carved in a Romanesque style, and on the other, rather shabby with worn furniture. Books and papers are stacked in large teetering piles near his plain wooden desk. He motions to the two to be seated on a battered leather couch, and stands over by the streetside window, peering out and drawing the heavy drapes. He does the same at the second streetside window.

"Welcome to the Villa Borelli, haha," he laughs. He sniffs and settles himself in a chair with threadbare upholstery. "There was the fight with young Signor Blaylock, of course, but I'm sure that that isn't the target of your inquiry, I'm sure that the Gileses told you about the second occasion on which I had them call the police. Which they did, begrudgingly. I apologize, I have no beverage to offer you, I am not bad-mannered."

Spoiler:
OK, will do.
User avatar
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:25 am

Image

"That's quite all right," says Reg. "Yes, we did speak to the Gileses, and they mentioned having called the police the second time at your request, but they seemed a bit unclear about what happened that night. We were hoping you could fill us in."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37215
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Dr. Bloodworth » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Image

He looks around again before sighing and beginning his tale.

"I am a violinist, as you know, yes, I play my violin well, but I have a condition, see, but I have some medicine given me by the doctor," He pats his hand over his chest. "At times, I find it well to get some air in these lungs, some fresh air, yes. On this night after the police had separated the young signors, I was sitting here at this window, taking in the air, as it helps me feel better, yes. I was meditating a bit as well, writing the strains of my exquisite symphony to myself... at about 9 o'clock young Master Sommers received a visitor, yes. I still hear the clip-clop, clip-clop on the road... the visitor was in the rooms for a while, nearly three hours, I was in bed before they left, but I could not sleep. I felt a sense of impending doom, a black feeling, like a child in the throes of nightmare. I was frightened! It was the feeling of, I know not how to say, something not right. At around midnight, I heard a second vehicle approaching." He shudders and checks the windows again. He totters back the hallway and checks all the doors and the rear window. He draws the drapes on the rear window as well.
User avatar
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby aine » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Maud looks around apprehensively to see what is alarming Signor Borelli. "Please go on Mr. Borelli. Did you see who was in the second carriage? And did you hear what the two men were arguing about?"
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Dr. Bloodworth » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Image

"A bit, a little bit only. 'I could not find it', or something like that - that was young Arthur. Then another voice I did not recognize mumbled something I could not hear. Arthur again - he mentioned illusions. Something he now saw that he did not before. I suppose this is what they fought about, but I am not so certain. But the second carriage was empty by the time I had made my way to this room. I heard the front door open, I know not how, for I hear not Mr. or Mrs. Giles opening it! It is as if it was a, what is the word, a spirit? While I was still looking out the window, here, I heard a fight downstairs. Things being thrown around, a gunshot... then I heard footfalls descending the stairs, and horrible dragging sounds." He shudders to himself as he recalls the events of that night. "I was as if paralyzed. When I came to, I heard the front door thrown open, and then the carriage door, and I looked out, and... oh! The narrow man! The narrow man with the white face! Oh!" Seeing Maud look about, Borelli leans forward. "I feel their eyes on me, always! They are here always! They are angry I saw them! I fear, I fear!" Then, "Their eyes alighted on you, as well, signora, no? I see it in your face..."
User avatar
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby aine » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Maud's eyes are wide open in consternation, she takes a step back. "I, ur, I'm not sure I know what you mean Mr. Borelli. It sounds like you had a terrible night but they've gone now surely? They must have left when they took Arthur with them." She turns to Reg, "Poor Arthur, he might have been unconscious and Mr. Borelli heard them dragging him along the corridor. I hope he wasn't wounded by the gunshot. Do you think the narrow man might have been someone from the theatre with makeup on? Someone rather thin?" She turns back to Mr Borelli. "Mister, I mean, Signor Borelli. Perhaps you have something medicinal, maybe brandy, you could take to steady your nerves? It's been several weeks since that night and it can't be good for you to be jumping at every shadow still."
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:50 am

Image

"Possibly," Reg replies to Maud. He faces Borelli again. "Mr. Borelli, can you please describe the narrow man in more detail? How tall was he? What was he wearing? What colour was his hair, his eyes?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37215
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Dr. Bloodworth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:52 am

Image

"Ha! Well, perhaps I may have some wine around here somewhere, but that is all, my dear. But they are not gone! No! Since that night, I see them still! The narrow men, they are in the trees," he gestures out the window. He leans towards Reg. In a hoarse whisper, he mutters, "Not tall. Not so tall as you, that is for certain, nor even I, nor the lady! Only as tall as a boy. Perhaps a 16-year old boy, perhaps? Wearing green rags, he was. Green rags that fluttered and flapped in the breeze as he looked at me." His head recoils a bit. "Looked at me! Though he had no eyes! No eyes! Malocchio! Lacuna faccia!" He runs his hands through his hair, teasing it up even more wildly than it already was. He grabs a bottle of wine from beside his chair and takes a gulp from the bottle, then sinks back in his chair.

And then, without any warning or barely a pause, he falls asleep.
User avatar
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby aine » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 pm

"Well!" Maud peers at Signor Borelli. "He's asleep." She wanders over to the window and looks down to the street and at the trees. "What do you think he actually saw?"
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 am

Image

Reg shrugs. "A thin lad dressed in rags and wearing a mask, perhaps?" he says. "Until we see him for ourselves, we won't know for certain. He did give the poor man quite a fright. Perhaps we should leave him to his rest and go see how Richard and Gary are getting on."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37215
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby aine » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Maud looks at the sleeping musician and decides he'll be sleeping for some time. "You're right Reg, I think we are done here. It seems strange he should have been so scared by masked children if that's what they were. It was dark though so he can't have seen them too well and his imagination played havoc." She walks quietly to the door and opens it, wincing as it creaks. "Let's go downstairs then, see what Mr Maurice and Gary have discovered a the flat." Maud heads back down to the landing below and calls quietly through the door. "Gary?"

Spoiler:
Sorry, couldn't resist reference to 'Team America'
User avatar
aine
Disciple
Disciple
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:45 am

Image

Reg goes downstairs with Maud to Arthur's flat, closing the door to Borelli's flat quietly behind him.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 37215
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Signor Borelli, I Presume? (Reg/Maud)

Postby Dr. Bloodworth » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:37 pm

After a moment, Gary comes to the front door of the flat and opens it for Maud and Reg. "Mind the front room," he says. "Richard and I are checking out one of the back rooms -- there's a bedroom over here and an art studio in here."

The front room is completely wrecked -- furniture, broken glass, and papers strewn all about the room. A bookcase stands along one wall and the mirror over the mantelpiece is shattered.

And now you can post to the "Arthur's Flat" thread.
User avatar
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am


Return to Bad Company

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest