The Dunwich Legacy

Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

Moderator: Tabs

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Spoiler:
I'll add Bind Monster to my deck, swapping out Scrying. I never seem to use that anyway.

Yeah, we just had a run of bad luck there, getting overwhelmed by all those enemies at once and failing to find enough clues in time.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Image Cool

Image x2

A break, February?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 am

Spoiler:
Sure. The Thermos doesn't have any XP cost, though it is nice. You'll need to spend those 2 XP on something else.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

I'm almost certain that 0xp cards cost 1xp if you change your deck. Jettison Peter Sylvestre and Hiding Spot.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 am

Spoiler:
You know the rules better than I do.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:07 pm

You would think so, but I do make blunders!

Updated decks

Sefina https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/306548

Wendy https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/245887
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Tabs » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am

Sefina's opening hand

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Only 3 events. :( But you got the upgraded Leo, he's gotta be one of the best cards.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's great to get him in my initial draw. First time that's happened since I upgraded him. I know where my initial 5 resources are going. ;)

I'll put Elusive, Sure Gamble, and Blinding Light under my character card. I'm leaning toward discarding Clarity of Mind (takes too many actions to make it effective, and I already have two other cards that need arcane slots) and Knife. Do we get to see the starting scenario cards before we decide? That may help us determine which cards are best suited. If we don't get to see them first, I'll just discard those two.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Personally I feel the first play through should be a complete surprise, so I'm not going to look at the scenario cards. But if you want to, then go ahead arkhamdb/cards/dunwich legacy/etc.

Wendy

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sacrificed to Yog-Sothoth

1 Dr. Francis Morgan
2 Professor Warren Rice
3 Zebulon Whateley
4 Earl Sawyer ---that's Professor Rice and Earl Sawyer.

Tabs rolled 1d4:
Tabs rolled 1d3:

Interlude II: The Survivors

Inside the chamber that contained the terrible beast, you find the missing townsfolk and the others from Arkham; they are bound and shackled. You also find several documents that suggest the creature you found isn’t the only one of its kind in Dunwich. You free the creature’s victims from their bonds, and they offer you their thanks. You begin to plan your next move.

Æ Check Campaign Log. For each of the following 5 characters who are not listed under “Sacrificed to Yog‐Sothoth,” read their associated passage. When you are done, proceed to Scenario V: Undimensioned and Unseen.

If Dr. Henry Armitage is not listed under “Sacrificed to Yog‐Sothoth:” “It is far worse than we had thought,” Dr. Armitage says, pale and trembling. “Wilbur Whateley was only the beginning. There were more, many more in Dunwich, who knew of the ‘Great Old Ones’ and who desired power and knowledge above all else, the Earth be damned. I knew I should have burned that wretch’s journal. But thanks to its contents, I know how we can stop them. We are the only ones who can! Now quickly, help me with this solution—the powder is the key, yes, the powder is the only way...”

Æ In your Campaign Log, record that Dr. Henry Armitage survived The Dunwich Legacy. If the Dr. Henry Armitage card is not already in an investigator’s deck, any one investigator may choose to add that card to his or her deck. It does not count toward that investigator’s deck size.

Æ If the Powder of Ibn‐Ghazi card is not already in an investigator’s deck, any one investigator may choose to add that card to his or her deck. It does not count toward that investigator’s deck size.

OOC:   Oops! I should have added this card before drawing our opening hands. Whoever has it, I'm gonna stick with Wendy's cards.  

If Dr. Francis Morgan is not listed under “Sacrificed to Yog‐Sothoth:” “Thank you for everything you’ve done,” Dr. Morgan says, taking count of your provisions and ammunition. “Last time, we needed some of that strange powder Armitage concocted to even see the beast that terrorized Dunwich. If there’s more of those things out there, we’re going to need that powder. I think I remember how he made it...”

Æ In your Campaign Log, record that Dr. Francis Morgan survived The Dunwich Legacy. If the Dr. Francis Morgan card is not already in an investigator’s deck, any one investigator may choose to add that card to his or her deck. It does not count toward that investigator’s deck size.

OOC:   Ditto  

If Zebulon Whateley is not listed under “Sacrificed to Yog‐Sothoth:” “Dunwich’s had its fair share of oddities,” Zebulon explains to you with a quavering voice, “but I ain’t ever seen anything as sick and twisted as this...this...thing.” He gives the creature’s remains one last sickened glance before closing the door to the chamber behind him, shuddering. He locks eyes with you, his expression grim. “Whoever dun this gotta pay. I’ll do all I can to help.”

Æ In your Campaign Log, record that Zebulon Whateley survived e Dunwich Legacy. Any one investigator may choose to add the Zebulon Whateley card to his or her deck. It does not count toward that investigator’s deck size.

OOC:   Ditto  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:16 am

Spoiler:
In that case, I'll do as I stated above. I'd like to have Dr. Francis Morgan back in my deck (he was there before). You can hold onto the other two cards if you like. I don't have time tonight to update my Investigator sheet, but I'll try to do that tomorrow night.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:57 am

OOC:   Okay. The cards have now been added to our decks.  

Scenario V: Undimensioned and Unseen

Your search of the village of Dunwich has uncovered a number of documents, journal entries, and esoteric theories. Reading through these materials leaves you exhausted and emotionally drained. Most of the content was written by a single source—a man named Seth Bishop.
When you ask around town, you learn that Seth is a citizen of Dunwich. Along with several others, Seth had witnessed
firsthand the devastation wrought by the events of “the Dunwich horror,” as Armitage had dubbed the incident. Curiously, since that time, very few people had seen Seth around town, and those who did claimed his eyes had been bloodshot and his face sweaty and pale.

You don’t doubt that somebody who has seen what Seth has seen would appear nervous or paranoid. But the more you read of his frantic and unhinged writings, the more you believe he is involved in recent events. His writings speak of having “gathered the remains” and of using arcane methods to “imbue the fathers’ essence” into other creatures, and eventually, into other people. The explanations and diagrams that follow are unfathomably complex and defy understanding.

Before you are able to find Seth and confront him, several men and women from the village approach you in a panic. “It’s back!” one of them wails. You recognize him as Curtis Whateley, of the undecayed branch. “Whatever it was that killed them Fryes, it’s back! Up and smashed the Bishops’ home like it were made o’ paper!” Curtis and the other townsfolk are clamoring amongst themselves, raising their voices in a panic.

Æ The investigators must decide (choose one):
= You try to calm down the townsfolk in order to learn more.
Proceed to Part 1.
= You try to warn the townsfolk and convince them to evacuate.
Skip to Part 2.

OOC:   Um. Evacuate?  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:24 am

Spoiler:
I think we should try to learn more first. We may need information/clues if we're going to succeed.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Wendy looks around at the townsfolk. Her initial humanitarian feeling is tempered somewhat by the motley collection of individuals. "I guess we are trying to save the world," she thinks, justifying the choice to herself. Then she spots the two beasts, standing at the back of the crowd, and decides. "I've changed my mind, Sefina, lets try to learn more first."

= You try to calm down the townsfolk in order to learn more.
Proceed to Part 1.

Part 1: You aim to calm the townsfolk so they can explain to you what is going on. They inform you that there was a rumbling to the north, and when they went to investigate they found the Bishops’ farmhouse had been torn to shreds. A trail of heavy tracks led into nearby Cold Spring Glen. “You know what to do, right? You Arkham folk stopped that thing last time,” one of the townsfolk says. Curtis shakes his head and bites at his lip.

“We couldn’t even see that hellish thing until the old professor sprayed that there powder on it,” he says. “To this day, I wish I hadn’t seen it at all...” Something must be done to stop the monster’s rampage. But, if the documents you found are true, there may be more than one such creature on the loose....

Æ Record in your Campaign Log that you calmed the townsfolk. Continue to Setup.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:58 am

"Yes, that's the best thing we can do," says Sefina. The pain she endured all too recently is a fresh reminder of what can happen if they go in unprepared.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Setup

Æ Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: Undimensioned and Unseen, Whippoorwills, Beast-thralls, Dunwich, and Striking Fear.

Æ Put one of the two versions of the following locations into play at random: Dunwich Village, Cold Spring Glen, Blasted Heath, Ten‐Acre Meadow, Devil’s Hop Yard, and Whateley Ruins. Remove the other versions of each of those locations from the game. Each investigator begins play in Dunwich Village.

MAP

Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Blasted Heath -> Cold Spring Glen
Ten-Acre Meadow -> Dunwich Village -> Cold Spring Glen -> Devil's Hop Yard -> Whateley Ruins
Blasted Heath -> Dunwich Village -> Devil's Hop Yard -> Whateley Ruins
Cold Spring Glen [Brood oY-S] -> Dunwich Village -> Ten-Acre Meadow -> Devil's Hop Yard -> Whateley Ruins
Devil's Hop Yard -> Blasted Heath -> Whateley Ruins
Whateley Ruins -> Cold Spring Glen -> Devil's Hop Yard

Æ Check the number of names recorded under “Sacrificed to Yog‐Sothoth” in your Campaign Log.

= If there are exactly 2 names listed, put 1 copy of Brood of Yog‐Sothoth into play in Cold Spring Glen, and set 3 copies of Brood of Yog‐Sothoth aside, out of play. Then, remove the final copy of Brood of Yog‐Sothoth from the game.

Spoiler:
Tabs rolled 1d5:

Æ Set each copy of Esoteric Formula aside, out of play.

Æ An investigator with the Powder of Ibn‐Ghazi in his or her deck
may search his or her deck for it and put it into play.

OOC:   Is that 3? Morgan, Whateley and Armitage.  

Æ Each investigator searches the collection for a random basic Madness, Injury, or Pact weakness and adds it to his or her deck for the remainder of the campaign.

Wendy
Tabs rolled 1d27:

Sefina
Tabs rolled 1d26:

Æ Shuffle the remainder of the encounter cards to build the encounter deck.

Choosing a Random Location
During this scenario, you will o en be instructed to choose a random location. is should be done by shu ing together the 6 locations removed from the game during setup (the versions of each location in play not currently being used) and drawing 1 at random.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:56 am

Spoiler:
That's funny, I don't remember having amnesia. ;)

I'll just have to hope mine doesn't come up early, as I have a full hand to start with some great cards in it. Once I've gotten most of my cards out of my hand, it won't be as devastating.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Dunwich Village
Tabs rolled 1d2:
ImageImage

ImageImage

"Hmmm," ponders Wendy. "So we need to get to Whateley's farmhouse, gather clues and avoid any things [Brood of Yog-Sothoth]. I wanna play Burglary, using it to gather resources, but it's tricky to investigate here."

Wendy to go first. If she finds the clue, she'll place it on the Brood?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Spoiler:
I agree that Wendy should go first and try to find the clue, but I think our priority should be advancing the Act, and we need clues for that. We can't even do anything with clues placed on the Brood yet, and I think there's also a chaos bag token that removes clues from Broods, so we might be better off waiting to place them until they're actually useful so we don't risk losing them. After finding the clue, we need to make our way to the Whateley Ruins by way of the Blasted Heath, so as to avoid the Brood.

I forgot to answer earlier, but yes, there are three characters who survived The Dunwich Legacy.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:22 pm

1 Play Burglary, spending 1 resource.

2 Investigate Dunwich Village. Intellect 3 vs. shroud 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-2 ; FAIL. Fast play Lucky!, spending 1 resource, +2 ; success! 1 clue gained.

3 Move to Blasted Heath.

BH?
Tabs rolled 1d2:
ImageImage

Wendy gets ready for "investigating," that is stealing whatever she can lay her dirty mits on. Next she does some real investigating and, hurrah!, finds the clue with lots of luck. Finally she moves to the Blasted Heath, as Sefina advised. "See you shortly," she says, waving a brief goodbye.

She treads carefully over the loose, sandy ground of Blasted Heath. "What a miserable place," she thinks, eyeing the queer stone pillars, "And I bet it's hard to find anything here, humph! Let's see what Sefina thinks when she arrives."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Turn 1 Investigator Phase

"Hey there, darlin'," drawls a familiar voice as a hand touches Sefina lightly on her shoulder. She nearly jumps out of her skin and is relieved to see Leo de Luca standing behind her.

"Don't do that!" she cries. "You frightened me half to death!"

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. What's wrong? You look like you've been through the wringer."

"I have." Sefina suddenly bursts into tears and wraps her arms around Leo, who folds her into his embrace.

"It'll be all right." He strokes her hair gently.

"No, it won't. Nothing will ever be all right again..." Sefina collects herself and sniffles. "We've got more important things to worry about than me right now. The whole world may be in danger, and we're the only ones who stand a chance to do anything about it. Well, us and Wendy. She's gone off to find the burned-out ruins of the old Whateley house. There's supposed to be some writings we need hidden there."

"Let's go. I know a shortcut."

Spoiler:
Action 1: Play Leo de Luca, spending 5 resources.

I'm thinking I should proceed to the Whateley Ruins by way of Ten-Acre Meadow. There's no real reason to go to the Blasted Heath other than to completely avoid the risk of running into the Brood, as I won't find any of the clues there without blowing through my cards. Maybe one of the other locations on the route I have planned will have a lower Shroud value. If you agree, I'll use my second action to go to the Ten-Acre Meadow and see what's there.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Horror