The Dunwich Legacy

Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

Moderator: Tabs

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Spoiler:
I haven't opened the box yet, but I know that the map is composed of modular tiles rather than a fixed board as before. I guess Arkham is so Mythos-infused that the layout of the streets keeps changing! The maximum number of players has been reduced from 8 to 6. There may be new characters and art too, but I haven't checked yet.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:18 am

Wendy Image

Agility 4 vs. 4,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-3 ; FAIL, 2 damage.

It's raining again. Wendy passes by a figure, swaddled in rags, who is sheltering on the schoolhouse's porch.

"No friends?" it asks.

"School's out," Wendy answers.

"Pity." And then it lashes out, cutting with its nail down her cheek and neck.

Sefina Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:24 am

Spoiler:
I think I'd better go first so that I can play my Switchblade as a Fast Action and try to kill that Whippoorwill. As long as it's around, it makes those clues very hard to find. If I have actions left, I'll play Emergency Cache and then Rite of Seeking, which I'll need to have a decent chance of finding clues there, though I won't be able to investigate this turn. However, if I eliminate the Whippoorwill, you could get there in two actions, which would still leave you one to investigate.

Last night I learned the rules for Arkham Horror third edition, verified that no components were missing, set up the game, and played the first few turns. It is very different from second edition in a bunch of ways, and so far I think it's better. The game is much more story-oriented, and instead of a Doom Track, Doom exists as counters on the map that can be removed or spread in a similar way to Pandemic. I'm playing as Dexter Drake in the Approach of Azathoth scenario (there are four different scenarios in the base game, each with its own unique mechanics and aspects). The first couple of turns I spent putting out fires, as there were trouble spots where Doom kept spreading. Fortunately, Dexter is very good at warding off Doom thanks to his high Lore. I had to take a couple of horror damage using Mists of Releh to evade a cultist twice, as I didn't have time to waste trying to beat it. I was also lucky in that I was able to grab the Silver Key and a clue on the Unvisited Isle after I...um...visited it to get rid of the Doom that accumulated there. Then I went to the Black Cave and got a second clue and a Shrivelling spell, which will be very useful for me, as I need to get rid of an elusive type of cultist that is spamming Doom every turn.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:29 pm

OOC:   Okay.

Hmmm, I'm tempted, but I've pretty much decided not to fall down any more Arkham rabbit holes. I remember that you played Dexter i our first AH game, and he gave flowers to Miriam Beecher...!  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:52 am

Turn 4 Investigator Phase

As Sefina explores the ruins, a whippoorwill darts out of nowhere and distracts her. She whips out her switchblade and proceeds to try to kill the nasty bird, but it is easily able to evade her attacks.

Spoiler:
Fast Action: Play Switchblade, spending 1 resource.
Action 1: Activate Switchblade. Fight (Combat 2 + 2[Switchblade] - 1[Whippoorwill] + 1[Knife] = 4 vs. Whippoorwill 2):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

Elder Thing, -3. Failure. Place 1 doom on the agenda.
Action 2: Activate Switchblade. Fight (Combat 2 + 2[Switchblade] - 1[Whippoorwill] = 3 vs. Whippoorwill 2):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

Elder Thing, -3. Failure. Place 1 doom on the agenda.
Action 3: Activate Switchblade. Fight (Combat 2 + 2[Switchblade] - 1[Whippoorwill] = 3 vs. Whippoorwill 2):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

-3. Failure.

You have a good memory. I'd forgotten all about that. I had a feeling that he made the flowers appear from thin air before I went back and reread it.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:47 pm

OOC:   The memory came to me in a flash when I read that you played as the Great Drake.

The Whippoorwill is Aloof, and Knife needs to be played first--Selina only gained +1 so it would not be discarded anyway. Doom is now 6/6. It's kind of thematic, Sefina flailing about?  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Spoiler:
I played the Switchblade (Fast Action) and committed the Knife for its combat icon in my first attack to improve my chances, though I still missed. You can't use two weapons at the same time anyway. I don't think you have to engage a monster to attack it. It is fitting that I kept missing, but it sure hurt us. Still, you have a shot at investigating and finding 2 clues using "Look what I found" even with the Whippoorwill there, if you miss by 1 or 2 (and if you succeed, even better, as you can go for the other two next turn).
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:57 am

OOC:   Yes, and I got muddled between Eldritch's Elusive with regards Aloof. The only thing is Aloof does require an Engage action before a Fight action.  

1 Move to Bishop's Brook Bridge.

2 Move to Burned Ruins. Image

3 Investigate. Intellect 3 -1[Whippoorwill] vs. 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-1 ; FAIL. Fast play "Look What I found!" spending 2 resources. Discover 2 clues.

"Found you!" laughs Wendy. "You okay?" the girl asks, seeing that Sefina is red in the face, like something really annoying has happened. Twit-twit-hoo! She looks up at a scorched timber and sees an ugly bird-like thing, hopping and chirping down at them. One good thing though, well two, in looking up she spots two shoelaces, hanging from a coat hook, tied in curious knots.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Spoiler:
Well done! :D In that case, I guess I engaged with my first action, and my third attack never happened.

I got to play some more of Arkham Horror, though I had to spend a lot of time putting out more fires without making any progress toward winning. In fact, I even lost ground, as I had to sacrifice a clue for a reroll in order to not lose my Blessing, lose an action, and take horror - and to gain a Mystic Tome which gives me +3 Lore for casting spells. Now I can dust powerful monsters with a single attack, and have done so. I just acquired a Pocket Watch, which gives me an extra action each turn. I should soon be able to get some more clues and then research them to advance the story.

Do I take 1 horror from the Whippoorwill during the Monster Phase?
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am

Monster Phase

Whippoorwill deals 1 damage to Sefina.

Upkeep Phase

Wendy Image + 1 resource

Sefina Image + 1 resource
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Spoiler:
The Whippoorwill inflicts 1 horror, not 1 damage.

It's good that you got that Flashlight. You should be able to find that last clue and unlock the Hidden Chamber next turn.

I won my first game of Arkham Horror. It was absolutely the right move to sacrifice that clue, as I kept the Blessing for the entire game, and I really needed it and the Tome. The key was getting that extra action every turn. Even though I came very close to triggering the first negative scenario event early on, I managed to avoid doing so for the whole game and was able to win without much difficulty.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:27 pm

MAP

Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook -> Osbourne's General Store -> Schoolhouse
Bishop's Brook [Sordid and Silent] -> Village Commons -> Osbourne's General Store -> Burned Ruins
Osbourne's General Store -> Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook
Schoolhouse -> Village Commons -> House in the Reeds -> Bishop's Brook
House in the Reeds [Sordid and Silent, Servant] -> Schoolhouse
Burned Ruins [Sefina, Wendy, 1 clue, Whippoorwill] -> Bishop's Brook

Mythos Phase

Image 7/6

ImageImage

1 Dr. Francis Morgan
2 Professor Warren Rice
3 Zebulon Whateley
4 Earl Sawyer -- one of these is placed under the agenda.

"It's getting dark, and there's more of those pests," says Wendy, looking up into the night sky. "Lamps are being lit behind bolted doors"; and she adds miserably, "no one will offer us any cheer."

"Do you wanna squash that bird first? If not, I'm sure that I could discover the last clue."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 am

Turn 5 Mythos Phase

"You should probably keep looking," says Sefina. "I know it's here somewhere, and at this rate I could be at it all night!"

Spoiler:
You should probably go first, just in case I draw the wrong token that adds a clue to our location. Of course, it may depend on our Mythos cards, which haven't been drawn yet. At least I can cancel mine if it's the right kind.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:31 am

Wendy Image

Will 4 vs. 2 +2[damage],
Tabs rolled 1d18:
; FAIL. Take 2 horror.

"They're reaching plague numbers," she thinks, and something inside snaps; she doesn't cry or faint, but the corners of her mouth droop, making her usual happy countenance just a little glummer.

Sefina Image -- Village Commons

Spoiler:
I haven't read FFG's article, hell, the very idea is too much--I mean, I doubt that I'll ever return! However, this is cool Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Turn 5 Mythos Phase
"If only you couldn't fly," mutters Sefina to the bird as she stalks it, unaware that something else is stalking her. "There must be a way. How do cats manage it?" Just then there is a louder flapping of wings overhead. "That's not your mother, is it?" Before she can take action, something dark and shadowy swoops down upon her and scoops her up, carrying her far above as she screams in terror. It flies back over Dunwich, stretches out its tail toward her, and...tickles her! Then it releases her, and she lands on the muddy ground with a thump.

Spoiler:
Agility test (Agility 4 - 1[Whippoorwill] = 3 vs. 4[On Wings of Darkness]):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

Tentacles. Automatic failure. Sefina's Bulletproof Vest takes 1 damage and she takes 1 horror. She disengages from Whippoorwill and is moved to Village Commons. Just as well, I suppose. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to kill or evade the Whippoorwill, so at least I disengage for free, and I can keep it busy next turn while you find the Hidden Chamber and do whatever you need to do there. You should go first.

Naomi is awesome! I'm curious how you get on her good side.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:04 pm

1 Play Cornered, spending 2 resources.

2 Action Lockpicks and investigate the Burned Ruins. Intellect 3 +4[Agility] +1[Resourceful] -1[Whippoorwill] vs. Shroud 3,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-1 ; success! 1 clue gained, and "Look What I Found!" taken back from the discard pile.

Trigger Burned Ruins.

Image 10 clues Image

OOC:   Wendy still has 1 action. Shall we go for the clues?  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Tabs » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:24 pm

3 Move to the Hidden Chamber.

OOC:   I realised that Wendy hadn't moved into it.  

Wendy discovers a curiously shaped hole in one of the knotted planks which face a charred room inside the Burned Ruins. She stares at the dark hole for some time, and then it dawns upon her...she takes out the key from her pinafore, kept safe for what feels like a long time. And it fits and it turns. She pushes at a panel and reveals cracked stone steps, leading down. "This'll be where the kidnapped folk are kept," she thinks, and exults at her good fortune. But things are often not as expected, chained to the wall is a monster, something truly unpleasant to behold; in fact, she swallows a gob of sick and saliva which threatens to escape.

"Seth?" it repeats.

"Wendy," says Wendy, although she can barely manage to speak aloud, her words coming out hoarse and whispery.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:38 am

Turn 5 Investigator Phase

Sefina begins to retrace her steps, preparing a spell to find what they're seeking.

Spoiler:
Action 1: Move to Bishop's Brook.
Action 2: Play Emergency Cache. Gain 3 resources.
Action 3: Play Rite of Seeking, spending 4 resources.

I think we should go for the clues too, as we can probably get ten clues before we could inflict twelve damage. By staying in Bishop's Brook for now, I can draw the Whippoorwill further away from the Hidden Chamber. Next turn I can move directly there for two actions and use Rite of Seeking with the other to possibly find 2 clues. Sordid and Silent went away after we advanced, so it won't affect me.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Monster Phase

Whippoorwill moves to Bishop's Brook.

Upkeep Phase

Sefina Image + 1 resource

Wendy Image + 1 resource
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Tabs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:06 pm

MAP

Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook -> Osbourne's General Store -> Schoolhouse
Bishop's Brook [Sefina, Whippoorwill] -> Village Commons -> Osbourne's General Store -> Burned Ruins
Osbourne's General Store -> Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook
Schoolhouse -> Village Commons -> House in the Reeds -> Bishop's Brook
House in the Reeds [Servant] -> Schoolhouse
Burned Ruins -> Bishop's Brook
Hidden Chamber [Wendy] -> Burned Ruins

Mythos Phase

1 Dr. Francis Morgan
2 Professor Warren Rice
3 Zebulon Whateley
4 Earl Sawyer -- one of these is placed under the agenda.

Image 1/6

Wendy Image

Flutter flutter! One of those horrid birds alights upon the monster's shoulder, well, a shoulder shaped protrusion--it has three she notes. It doesn't swipe away the bird.

"Ugh!" cries Wendy. "They must be in cahoots."

Sefina Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Horror