The Devourer Below

Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

Moderator: Tabs

The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 am

With XP from The Gathering, Daisy replaced Perception and Research Librarian with Disc of Itzama and Bulletproof Vest.

Skids, Sure Gamble replaced Beat Cop, he also carried over 2 XP. And he's got Lita Chandler in his deck.

We've got a further 5 XP to spend from Midnight Masks.

Here's a list of cards from the core set: https://arkhamdb.com/set/core

Skids will purchase Elder Sign Amulet (3 XP) and Hot Streak (4 XP).

ImageImage
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:58 pm

I see that I'd already selected my new cards at the end of the previous scenario's thread:
Mr. Handy wrote:
Spoiler:
I didn't realize we both had to resign. In that case, that could be your fourth action, as there's no reason for you to evade when the scenario is ending.

I'll take Magnifying Glass (upgrade), Encyclopedia (replacing Arcane Initiate), and Blinding Light (upgrade). As much as I like Cryptic Research, I really need better ways of hurting enemies, and I can't get both.

Also, Hot Streak is awesome! 8-)
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks, I missed that. Okay, I'll shuffle our decks later and draw 5 cards, posting them tomorrow.
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am

Daisy's starting hand. Take a mulligan if you wish but, oooh, she's got a Bulletproof Vest.

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Skids's starting hand: Evidence!, Knife x2, Pickpocketing, Opportunist. Take a mulligan...

ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:57 am

Spoiler:
I'll keep my starting hand. The cards mean I'll actually be able to fight a little if needed, and the Flashlight will help with vacuuming up clues.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

OOC:   Daisy fighting in the Bulletproof Vest, someone would pay to see that...  


After a frantic nighttime search throughout Arkham, you have tracked down and questioned several members of the cult. Your findings are disturbing: they claim to worship a being known as Umordhoth, a monstrous entity from another realm.

You are able to confirm much of Lita's story: the cult is agitated over the destruction of a ghoul lair. However, a surprising detail also turns up: the one who invaded the lair and set this night's events in motion was none other than Lita Chantler herself! You are not sure why this important detail was omitted from Lita's story - did she tell you only as much as was necessary to draw you into her conflict? But in another light, she seems to be fighting to protect the city of Arkham from a terrible menace.

The final piece of the puzzle was found written in a journal possessed by one of the cultists. It describes a dark ritual to be performed deep within the woods south of Arkham, this very night. According to the journal, the ritual's completion will open a gate and bring forth the cult's dark master into this world. "If the cult is not stopped," Lita warns, "there is a possibility that Umordhoth's vengeance will consume all in its path." Frightened but determined to stop the ritual, you head into the woods...

Image 6 clues

Image 1 doom token (starting penalty due to the 2 escaped cultists).

Image

Image (There are 4 Woods locations.)

Image

OOC:   Skids to gain a resource, Play Leo, and then gain 2 resources?  


Skids O'Toole stepped off the little bridge over Hangman's Brook and threw a stone, PLOP!, into the water.

"Miss Walker, it's mighty cold in these woods at night," he shivered, but whether from the chill night air or their dread search amongst the trees was unclear, his thick houndstooth jacket may be a clue, though. "I was thinking about help--help from someone else?
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:36 am

Image

Daisy shivers too, wrapping her arms around herself as her torn clothing lets in far too much of the night's chill. "Sounds good to me," she says. "We can use all the help we can get!"

Spoiler:
I don't have time tonight to update my investigator sheet, but I should tomorrow night. I'm all for you getting a resource and playing Leo with your first two actions, but we may want to explore and start gathering clues fast. You could use your third action to move to a new location, and your fourth you can decide what to do with once you've seen it. If you do that, I can join you and either investigate twice or equip my flashlight and investigate once. If you'd rather stay put and collect resources, I can just equip stuff. It won't be good to split up yet.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 am

OOC:   Mr. Handy, if you are pushed for time, post the next day. I may well do the same myself.

Resources or clues?--Skids'll compromise.  


Image

"Hmmm," thought Skids, sensing a need for urgency but also wanting to be prepared. He noted Daisy's torn clothing, his face reddened as he thought about the snug jacket which he wore...

Investigation Phase 1

Action 1: gain 1 resource.

Action 2: Play Leo De Luca (6 resources).

Image

Across the little bridge sauntered a lanky individual sporting a slouch hat.

"Hey! Leo," greeted Skids, clasping the Louisiana Lion's arms. "Still brewing that godawful southern hooch?" He took a step backward and introduced Daisy, "Miss Walker, librarian at the University here."

"She's not your usual type!" laughed Leo.

"Quiet, man, we're only--er--friends," he added lamely.

Action 3: Move to Arkham Woods.

ImageImage

"There's nothing here. Nice and peaceful, though," his voice echoed back.

Action 4: gain 1 resource.
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:03 am

Image

Turn 1 Action Phase

Daisy follows Skids and Leon deep into the woods, taking out a knife in her right hand and a flashlight in her left. "This is a nice spot," she says, "but there's not much of interest here. I think we need to move along. We may not have much time to stop the ritual."

Spoiler:
Action 1: Move to Arkham Woods (purple moon).
Action 2: Play Flashlight (spend 2 resources).
Action 3: Play Knife (spend 1 resource).
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am

Upkeep Phase 1

Skids draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Daisy draws Image and gains 1 resource.

Image

"'Move along,' sure," repeated Skids, eyeing Daisy's knife and wishing he was anywhere but here.
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 am

Mythos Phase 2

Place 1 doom on the agenda (2/4).

Skids draws Image

He put a finger tip in his ear, as if exploring for wax. "I can't hear a thing, except voices in my head," Skids looked to Daisy with a quizzical, almost a dumbfounded expression upon his pale face.

Daisy draws Image
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:15 am

Spoiler:
Is the minimum I can get 0, or can my total go negative? If so, I could easily fail by 5 and go down just from an unlucky draw. What is my total if I draw tentacles? I'm trying to decide whether or not to use Mind Over Matter. If I can't lose more than 3 health from this, I'll just take my chances. Otherwise, if I could lose 5 health from this, I need to use it just in case.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 am

OOC:   The worst result possible is 0, even if a Chaos token would modify a test to a negative. Tentacles are an automatic 0. Therefore Daisy may suffer a maximum of 3 damage.

Oh, BTW, an additional, 17th, Chaos token (-5--squid) has been added.  
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Image

Turn 2 Mythos Phase

Daisy screams as a pair of hands claw their way out of the dirt by her feet and grab at her legs. She tears herself loose, suffering some scratches in the process.

Spoiler:
Agility test (difficulty 3) for Grasping Hands:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d17:
3

2 skill + 0 = 2. 1 damage taken.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Investigation Phase 2

Image

Skids stamped furiously on top of the grasping hands. "I hope that I cracked a few knuckles!" he said, but otherwise doesn't comment upon the weird event apart from, "Well, that could've been worse, Miss Walker."

"Right," he continued, "Leo and I will do some more exploring."

Action 1: Move to the Main Path.

Action 2: Move to Arkham Woods.

Image 2 clues.

Action 3 and 4: gain 1 resource.

OOC:   Next turn Skids to Play Flashlight and then Investigate?  
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 am

Spoiler:
Maybe I should move to join you and then spend my remaining action to investigate, doing it again next turn, as I already have the flashlight equipped. I shouldn't have too much problem moving out of that location later. Or we could split up and I could go to an unexplored location. We could find clues faster, but it could prove dangerous.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 am

OOC:   Okay, let's stick together. Skids may well have trouble finding a way out of Twisting Paths--his Flashlight can contribute toward a skill test? Also he has potentially 5 Actions and can Engage and then Evade any nasties who appear?  
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 am

Spoiler:
Actually, I'm having second thoughts. I don't know how much time we have, but it may be better to split up and both search for clues in different locations. How about I spend my first action moving to the Woods location with the two lines with a blue background, since that's next to both of our current locations? Once it's unlocked, I'll decide if it's worth staying there and searching for clues or joining you.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 35009
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: The Devourer Below

Postby Tabs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 am

OOC:   You decide, but the location, blue with two stripes, hasn't been revealed yet. Daisy'll have to Move back to the Main Path first.  
User avatar
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 am

Next

Return to Arkham Horror

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest