The Dunwich Legacy

Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

Moderator: Tabs

Re: The Dunwich Legacy

Postby Tabs » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:16 pm

That was a great price. I preordered it for £105, and I thought that was good! Just discovered that it"s now due at the end of November. :(
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:28 am

It sure was! I think shipping was even free for Kickstarter backers back then, and for a package that heavy, that's a bargain too! You still got a very good price. Of course, my copy is the standee version, so I don't have the minis, but that was the only way to get the standees, as the retail version doesn't have them. I also had to shell out another $27 or so to upgrade to version 1.5 and pick up the solo scenarios and other new stuff in the second Kickstarter campaign. The version you have should already include all of that.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm

When you finally reach Dunwich, you are greeted by Zebulon Whateley and Earl Sawyer, another man from the village who had met with
Dr. Armitage during the incident several months ago. “Things ain’t lookin’ too good here,” Earl tells you. “Some folk up and went missin’ a few
nights ago. ‘Dem whippoorwills won’ shut up. Dunno what yer doin’ here, but last time you Arkham folk came ‘round
it was bad news. Very bad news.” His eyes blink rapidly, and he coughs and looks away.
“Look, why don’t you rest fer the night an’ look fer whatever it is yer looking fer t’morra,” Zebulon chimes in, putting a wrinkled hand on your shoulder. You begin to protest, but your aching muscles and weary mind won’t allow you to refuse. The elderly man offers to take you in for the night, and drives you to his home at the outskirts of Dunwich village. The town is disheveled and eerie, and you find yourself wishing you hadn’t come here at all. You fall asleep on the ride over and scarcely remember anything else from that night.
When you awaken, you find that Zebulon’s house is abandoned, and there is no sign of the elderly man, or of Mr. Sawyer. Fearing the worst, you head into the village of Dunwich to investigate, hoping to find answers.

Here's your deck https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/208365 Should be correct, and you've got 3xp to spend.

Wendy https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/232884 Image Discard Dig Deep.

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:25 am

Spoiler:
I don't have time tonight to spend my XP, but hopefully I'll be able to do it tomorrow night.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 am

Spoiler:
Dr. Francis Morgan has been kidnapped and is no longer part of my deck.

I'll spend 1 XP to upgrade Leo de Luca and 2 XP to gain Switchblade, replacing one Knife.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:35 am

Sefina updated deck https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/208365

Wendy https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/232884

Setup
Æ Gather all cards from the following encounter sets: Blood on the Altar, Dunwich, Whippoorwills, Nightgaunts, and Ancient Evils. These sets are indicated by the following icons:
Æ Put Village Commons into play. Each investigator begins play in the Village Commons.

Image Image

Wendy wrinkles her nose. "Like Smelly Shelley smelt--me and him, we lived under the crates discarded at the back of Velma's Diner--actually," she confesses," I guess I did too," and self-consciously she fingers one of the "aromaticky" pine cones which are stashed in various pockets about her person.

Æ Remove one of the two copies of each other location from the game at random. Then, choose one of the six remaining locations at random, and remove it from the game as well. Put the remaining locations into play. (See next page for suggested placement).

1 House in the Reeds
2 Schoolhouse
3 Congregational Church
4 Burned Ruins
5 Bishop's Brook
6 Osbourne's General Store

Remove location
Tabs rolled 1d6:

MAP

Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook -> Osbourne's General Store -> Schoolhouse
Bishop's Brook -> Village Commons -> Osbourne's General Store -> Burned Ruins
Osbourne's General Store -> Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook
Schoolhouse -> Village Commons -> House in the Reeds -> Bishop's Brook
House in the Reeds -> Schoolhouse
Burned Ruins -> Bishop's Brook

Æ Check Campaign Log. Gather the cards for each character who “was kidnapped” according to your Campaign Log. Form a facedown pile of “potential sacrifces,” consisting of each of those cards, along with the Zebulon Whateley card and the Earl Sawyer card.

1 Dr. Francis Morgan
2 Professor Warren Rice
3 Zebulon Whateley
4 Earl Sawyer

Æ Set the following cards aside, out of play: Silas Bishop, The Hidden Chamber, Key to the Chamber, and Powder of Ibn‐Ghazi.
Æ Check Campaign Log. If the investigators were delayed on their way to Dunwich: Add 1 doom to agenda 1a.
Æ Shuffe the remainder of the encounter cards to build the encounter deck.
Æ Check Campaign Log. If the O’Bannion gang has a bone to pick with the investigators: Seeking vengeance, the gang from the Clover Club has followed you to Dunwich. Gather all cards from the Naomi’s Crew encounter set and shuffle them into the encounter deck. This set is indicated by the following icon:

Æ Take the previously set‐aside The Hidden Chamber and Key to the Chamber cards, along with the top 3 cards of the encounter deck. Shuffle them and randomly deal 1 card facedown underneath each location in play except Village Commons.

1 The Hidden Chamber
2 Key to the Chamber
3 Encounter #1
4 Encounter #2
5 Encounter #3

The Hidden Chamber. This scenario includes a single‐sided location ( The Hidden Chamber) which has been dealt facedown underneath a random location. The Hidden Chamber only has a revealed side, and has a Revelation effect that puts it into play when drawn. When put into play, a single‐sided location is put into play with its revealed side faceup, because it has no unrevealed side. Otherwise, it functions as a normal location in every other way.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:52 am

Sefina also recoils at the smell. "How can people stand to live here?" she asks. "I suppose they must get used to it."

Spoiler:
Feel free to take as much time as you need finishing setup, as I'll be leaving for a convention tomorrow and will be gone through Sunday.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am

OOC:   Okay. Let me know about the games you get to play.  

Wendy's hand

ImageImageImage ImageImage
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Spoiler:
Will do! It's a convention centered around game designers, and I'll get to playtest a bunch of games that aren't out yet.

You got a great starting hand!
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:02 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

OOC:   Great cards, but only 2 events. ):  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:00 am

Spoiler:
I'll put Blinding Light and Ward of Protection under my card, discard Clarity of Mind, Hard Knocks, and Scrying, and keep the rest.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 am

Osbourne's General Store -> Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook
Schoolhouse -> Village Commons -> House in the Reeds -> Bishop's Brook

"Ready my Lockpicks, move to the Schoolhouse, and..." Wendy trails off. "I wonder what's there?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 am

Spoiler:
It's okay if you want to go first, but I think we should see the Act and Agenda cards before we start so that we know what we need to do.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am

ImageImage

1 Play Lockpicks, spending 3 resources.

2 Move to the Schoolhouse.

Schoolhouse?
Tabs rolled 1d2:

ImageImage

3 Action Lockpicks. Intellect 3 + 4[Agility] vs. 4[Shroud],
Tabs rolled 1d18:
-2 ; success! 1 clue gained but 1 supply spent.

Fast action Schoolhouse.
Tabs rolled 1d5:

Wendy unlocks a musty cupboard. Inside it are mildewed exercise books which are covered by odd doodles, and underneath them she finds a lovely bone box, housing a beautiful key. Without hesitation, she slips it into her pinafore pocket.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:39 am

Turn 1 Investigator Phase

Sefina heads over to Osbourne's General Store, hoping she can pick up on useful rumors and buy supplies.

Spoiler:
Wow, well done! :D If we're lucky, we could solve this one in record time!

Action 1: Move to Osbourne's General Store.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 am

OOC:   Surely that can't be so?  

Osborn's?
Tabs rolled 1d2:

ImageImage 2 clues
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:00 am

Turn 1 Investigator Phase

Sefina takes her flashlight out of her purse and lights it, peeking into the store's dark corners.

Spoiler:
Action 2: Play Flashlight, spending 2 resources.
Action 3: Activate Flashlight, spending 1 supply. Investigate (Intellect 2 vs. Shroud 2 - 0 = 0):
Mr. Handy rolled 1d18:

-3. Success! 1 clue gained.

I got to playtest 15 different games at Metatopia. My favorite was "A Cool and Lonely Courage," a very moving story RPG where all the players are female Special Operations Executive operatives who have been sent into Nazi-occupied France during WWII. We've all been captured by the Nazis and are awaiting interrogation and execution, and we're telling our stories to each other. The game is played with a deck of cards, where we're each dealt a hand of cards equal to the number of scenes we're going to play plus one. We only did four scenes (integration with the Resistance, a mission, an interlude, and our capture), due to time constraints, and we only acted out the first one, just narrating the other three. There are three different ways to play it. You can choose which card to play for each scene, you can play blind (which is what we did) and flip over one card for each scene without looking at it beforehand, or you can have another player choose which cards to play for you. The card's rank doesn't matter, only the suit. A diamond means the scene is about success, a club means it's about failure, a heart means it's about love, and a spade means it's about death. You can introduce characters in your scenes who are played by the other players, and they can return in later scenes (unless they're killed).

I played Monique Deveraux (AKA Julie), who I played before in the short-lived Achtung! Cthulhu fate game here. My first scene was a diamond, and I met Roger Malliard, local Resistance leader, and fit right in with the cell. My second scene was a heart. The incompetent German officer in command of the sector had been sent to the Russian Front, replaced by a new one who was both ruthless and efficient. My mission was to seduce him in order to assassinate him. He fell in love with me, which made it easy for me to kill him, as I had no such feelings for him, remaining true to my husband. My third scene was also a heart. Roger had grown close to me and fallen in love with me. I gently let him down, telling him that I love my husband, that I respect him and count him a friend. He took it well, glad to just be around me. My fourth scene was a spade. We were betrayed and the Gestapo raided our safehouse, and Roger was killed trying to protect me. The full game has other scenes, such as being recruited into the SOE, a training scene, possibly a second mission, and an optional post-capture interrogation scene.

After all four scenes, we each had one card remaining, which none of us had seen. We all decided independently whether to either keep our card or give it to another player. After that, if you have no cards, you are executed. If you have exactly one card, you are sent to a concentration camp. If the card is black, you die in the camp, but if the card is red, you survive, though changed in some way. If you have two cards (or more, presumably), you escape or are rescued. All of the others kept their cards, but I gave mine to one of the other players. The card she kept was black, and the one I gave her turned out to be red, so she would have died and I would have lived if I had kept my card. Instead, I died helping her escape.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 am

OOC:   Cool! Were the cards regular playing cards or custom ones?  

Upkeep Phase

Sefina Image

Wendy Image + 1 resource
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Spoiler:
Yes, they were standard playing cards, though one of the other playtesters did suggest creating a custom deck with the picture and a brief bio of a different historical female SOE operative on each card. I think I heard that there will be a Kickstarter for the game early next year, so maybe we'll see it then. Alex White, the game's author who ran it, is British going by his accent and the timestamps on his emails, so it will most likely ship from the UK. I'll probably back for a PDF of the game, as shipping physical stuff to America would be expensive. He told us historical examples of women of the SOE for different types of scenes with different card suits. One of them did have a diamond (success) on her capture scene; she held off the Nazis long enough for the rest of her team to escape before she was captured. One third of all female SOE operatives were captured and killed. We had a moment of silence for them at the end of the game.
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Tabs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:00 pm

OOC:   Funny how everything connects--eventually. A few years back, a character I intended to use for roleplaying was Violette Szabo.  

MAP

Osbourne's General Store [Sefina, 1 clue] -> Village Commons -> Bishop's Brook
Schoolhouse [Wendy] -> Village Commons -> House in the Reeds -> Bishop's Brook

Mythos Phase

Image 1/6

Wendy Image

Will 4 vs. 2,
Tabs rolled 1d18:
skull -2; success!

The cacophony of Cheep! Cheep! is annoying almost beyond endurance. Wendy peers up out the Schoolhouse's window at the brooding, shadowed elm and its branches lined with roosting birds. "Well," she shrugs, "I've never seen so many together!"

Sefina Image
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Horror