Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:38 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik wakes up suddenly on a stone tiled floor atop a massive white bear skin stretching over 15 ft in length. His clothes are wet but a fire burns bright and hot beside him, casting eerie shadows on the 30 ft high ceiling. The room is larger than the light affords and the fire does little to light the chamber as lines of massive white pillars of solid marble continue into the darkness in either direction, surrounding them like vigilant soldiers. The pillars are thick enough that two men linking hands could not line its circumference.

Some of his fellow Vikings lie sleeping on the floor on various comfortable skins of their own. Osvauld, Weoulf, Berger, Orm, Sigfurd and Torvog the Jailer all look very peaceful in their own private slumbers with their armor placed carefully at their side and their weapons lined neatly in front of them.

Off in the distance, the sound of a harp echoes through the columns. The music suddenly, but peacefully, awakens everyone around the fire. Alrik hears the music first. A song he had never heard before, whose notes were so clear and simple and beautiful, he was surprised he had never composed it himself. No one at the fire can tell what direction the music is coming from.

ooc – Just a reminder in case everyone has forgotten.

Alrik - The Bard… and an apprentice to Melkorka (The hag)
Osvauld is second in command and personal advisor to Captain Gunharr
Torvog - The jailer
Orm - Friends with Weolf Ingvar and Sigfurd but seems more estranged since the loss of his wife Sif. He has recently been seen speaking in hushed corners with Osvauld and Captain Gunharr.
Sigfurd – A wealthy Icelandic nobleman who joined the Viking campaigns in hopes of quenching his thirst for adventure. Identified by Melkorka as a chosen one
Weoulf – Little is known of Weoulf other than his friendship with the brute Ingvar, Sigfurd and Orm. Identified by Melkorka as a chosen one
Berger – Once a proud Viking warrior; now little more than a hopeless drunken lout. Identified by Melkorka as a chosen one.

ooc - OK….. GO!

Re: Chapter 3: Vikings : Notes in the Dark!

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:49 am
by G-Dizzle
Berger begins to move slowly and rhythmically beneath his bear robe.

"Mmmmmm, Sedna." He murmurs, a blissful smile on his face.

He rolls back and forth, moaning and murmuring that same woman's name over and over.

Finally he lets out a grunt and a gasp, then opens his eyes. The blissful look on his face turns into a confused frown.

He sits up and looks around. "Alrik." He grunts in greeting, then scrubs his hand through his damp hair.

He sees his armor next to him and decides to get up and strap it on.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:58 am
by Piano man

Alrik walks around the room taking in his surroundings. Seeing the others stir he immediately snaps to attention. Tilting his head he acknowledges Berger. Men rise and strap on your armor. I don't know where we are, but it can't be good. The last thing I remember. Alrik grows silent as he reflects on what happened, but only for a moment. He shudders and carries on. Well that doesn't matter right now. What matters is that we take control of the situation. Alrik looks around for weapons, and silently brings a song to mind just in case.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:17 am
by imme
Osvauld slowly opens his eyes. He sits up and thoughtfully considers the room and those around him. He runs a hand over his damp clothes and says, "I imagine I wouldn't be wet if I were dead. But we should find our hosts." He stands and puts on his armor, but seems oddly peaceful considering what happened to their boat.

"Alrik, what happened to the witch?"

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:08 pm
by Piano man
Alrik looks around some more before answering Osvauld. It's hard to say, but I'm sure she's still alive. Oh how I hope I'm wrong. That soulless harpy would look good on the tusk of a narwhale. What's important now is that we rouse the men and be prepared for whatever has brought us here. We have not lost yet.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 pm
by G-Dizzle
After strapping on his armor, Berger begins to look around a bit, attempting to see into the dark past the pillars.

"Where in Helheim are we?" He grumbles as he wanders around. "And more importantly, do they have anything to drink around here. I'm fuckin' parched."

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:38 pm
by imme
"Did the narwhales bring you here? What did you last see of the witch? As unsavory as she is, she was brought along with us for a reason." Osvauld begins moving around, waking those men who are still asleep.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:56 pm
by G-Dizzle
Still nosing around, Berger responds to Osvauld's questions.

"The only thing those damned whales brought me was a hard time. Almost killed one of 'em, then I got.....er, distracted." He said with a lewd grin. "I have no fuckin' clue how I got here. Anybody else remember? More importantly, anyone got a flask on 'em? Mine's empty."

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:00 pm
by mikc
Weoulf gets slowly to his feet, clutching his head which is ringing like Hel`s own bell.

"Where the fuck are we? If this is Valhalla, well I didn`t expect to arrive with such a cunt of a headache! Nor to have to share it with you bastards! If we`re alive, well the first thing I could use is a drink. Water, mead, I don`t care! I have a taste in my mouth like all the fish in this godforsaken dump shat in it at once!"

Groaning and cursing further, he begins to strap on his armour while looking round in the vain hope of finding liquid refreshment.

Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:23 pm
by Piano man
Alrik rounds on the men as they wake up, and gives them a look that would make a weak man cry. Listen you useless heaps of shit. Keep your voices down and use your fucking heads. Just because we aren't on a battle field doesn't mean we aren't fighting a war. If any of you cunts doesn't fall in line I'll personally make sure that that heinous witch has her way with you. Weoulf, I'm sure your ass still hurts from your last encounter with Melkorka. Alrik levels his gaze at everyone of them making sure they are taking in what he says. Now let's regroup and find whatever manner of creature runs this place and make them wish they had never laid eyes on us.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:55 am
by G-Dizzle
Berger laughs loudly and slaps his knees at Weoulf's tirade as he woke up.

Berger keeps on laughing all the way through Alrik's pep-talk, until finally, he leans back against one of the pillars, wiping the tears from his eyes, his laughter winding down into a few hiccups.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:10 pm
by imme
Osvauld grins at the bard. "A good speech, boy, and you're right to remind the men that we're not in a safe situation, but how about we find out who has us and what they want before things get bloody. If they really wanted us dead, they could have just left us to drown." He goes to kick the last few men awake.

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:28 pm
by Piano man
Alrik approaches Osvauld, and speaks for all to hear. It is true that they kept us alive, but think of what we do know. They sank our ship and killed many of our crewman. It is obvious that they did not invite us here for tea. Alrik leans in and speak in a lowered voice for only Osvauld to hear. And if you ever call me boy again I'll show you why our people fear my magic. The Captain answered to Melkorka and only she stands higher than me. So you will show me respect, and I in turn will treat you with the same. It will do no good for our men to see us bickering with, and insulting each other.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:14 am
by imme
Osvauld calmly looks at Alrik for a moment. "Excuse me, I meant no offense. My age creeps up on me sometimes." He looks once more around the cavernous room. "Can you tell which way to go? Or do you think they'll be along shortly?"

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:32 pm
by Piano man
Alrik put a hand on Osvauld's shoulder. No it is I who should apologize my friend. I have been around that witch too long and it's starting to have an effect on my personality. Alrik surveys the room once again with a glance. If any of you men are hurt come see me now before we start out.

Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 am
by Henrik
Orm wakes with a jolt and looks for his weapon. When he discovers that he is no longer in the belly of a whale. He smiles: "I was swallowed by a killer whale, so I must be dead. This can not be Hel, we must be in the halls of Valhalla! Let's go and greet Odin!" Orm gets up on his feet. Perhaps there is a chance. Perhaps she is here as well!

Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd wakes, clutching his chest and screaming

Ingvar!

He quickly jumps to his feet and looks around at his fellow Vikings strapping their armour on.

He undoes the ties on his damp shirt and inspects his chest.

It’s gone! That bloody horned whale ran me right through….. But now… Like it never even happened….

Sigfurd seems to be having a difficult time adjusting to his surrounding. His friends Orm and Weoulf know Sigfurd as a nobleman's son and though adventurous, he always needed some babying through the really hard times. He takes a deep breath as Alrik gives his speech taking some comfort in the fact that somebody still had their wits about them. WHen he was finished he lowers his voice as instructed...

Weoulf, Thank Odin! I thought you were dead for sure when that lightning hit… Did you guys see that light in the water?

Torvog follows Alrik’s lead as well, backing him up with his usual supportive back talk.

You heard the bard ladies. There will be plenty of drink once we get the hell out of here and catch up with our boys on board the Icebreaker…

The musical melody continues... playing itself over and over in an eerie sort of loop.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:49 am
by Piano man
Once everyone is up and armored Alrik raises a hand to silence everyone for a moment. That song, it's beautiful and haunting at the same time. Where is it coming from. Alrik looks around the room for a door or window that they can escape from. Ok men it's time to screw your courage to the sticking place. Let's keep our heads and watch each others backs. Grab anything that can be used as a weapon, and let's try to find our way out of here.

ooc do we see our weapons anywhere.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:25 am
by Henrik
Orm gathers what belongings he can find and gets ready to follow the others, rather impatiently. He is eager to explore this new place which might be the only place he has longed, Valhalla!

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:05 pm
by imme
ooc: We have our weapons, they were next to our beds when we woke up.

Osvauld eyes the troops, making sure nobody is recklessly forgetting to buckle their armor, or is leaving some gear behind.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:25 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd walks up to Weoulf and listens to the angelic notes being played in glorious repetition.

Where is it coming from brother? It’s so beautiful.

None of the Vikings have yet left the light of the fire. The room could stretch on for eternity for all the party knew. Then just slightly over the music could be heard the gentle flapping of wings.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:55 pm
by mikc

"I think it sounds spooky" grumbles Weoulf.

"I don`t trust this whole fucking place" he snarls, picking up his sword, "It has the foul stench of sorcery about it!"

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 pm
by G-Dizzle

Berger cocked his head for a moment, listening to the music, then yawned in disinterest.

He leaned back against a pillar, scratched his crotch for a while, then checked his pockets once again for a flask he knew wasn't there.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 am
by Piano man

Alirk looks at Berger with disgust. I suggest you stand up and pay attention before you die. We're not alone...everyone grab your weapons let's check this place out. Alrik readies his magic just in case.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:18 pm
by imme

Osvauld chooses a direction and takes the lead.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:42 pm
by G-Dizzle

Berger snorts in amusement at Alrik's chastisement and gives his crotch one last scratch.

"I'd pay attention if someone were singin' about where to find a damn bottle of mead,"
he grumbles as he moves to follow the group.

But because being a drunken sot hadn't completely ruined his warrior instincts yet, he draws his sword as he follows.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:23 pm
by Henrik

"Let's go then. If we are lucky we're all dead and this is Valhalla, if not... well, there is probably plenty of opportunity to meet death in a place like this" Orm states simply and then he begins to explore the place more thoroughly. Where is the music coming from? Music can not just appear, there must be an instrument and someone who plays the instrument in question. Orm is ready to draw his sword if danger appears.

OOC: Let's explore this place!

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS

North is up. South is Down. Explore away!

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:51 am
by mikc
Weoulf straps on his sword and turns to Sigurd, "What say we look around a bit, brother? I suggest we head west.
Watch my back and I`ll watch yours, we`ll find the stinking sorcerors and give them a taste of Viking steel!"

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:43 pm
by Henrik
Orm decides to go south. It seems that any direction is as good as another. "I suggest that you go in any other direction. Shout if you find something!"

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:32 pm
by Piano man

Alrik steps into the middle of the group. Listen I think we should all stick together. Separating us last time was how they beat us. Together we are a fierce unit.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd walks with Weoulf with his sword and shield to the ready. Before he leaves the light of the fire he stops, waiting for a decision to be made.

Torvog stays close to Alrik eyeing the others indifferently.

The music continues to echo through the hall and the flapping of the bird’s wings from high above appears to be getting closer, approaching form the North.

Orm walks south to the edge of the fire’s light as well. From his position he can see something that resembles stonework stairs.

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:02 pm
by imme
Osvauld moves to the North side of the fire. "Let's see what type of winged beast is coming to greet us."

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 pm
by Henrik
"I've found a set of stairs" Orm shouts to the others.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd hears Orm shout out that he found some stairs and smiles at Weoulf.

Skraeling stairs?… and skraeling colums? I didn’t think the little brown bastards had it in em!

He runs up to Orm’s side and peers out into the darkness.

What do yah got here old friend?

Neither man can see much further into the penetrating darkness, past the light of the fire. As their eyes adjust somewhat to the black, they can see that the stairs go up.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:15 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Torvog the jailer seems more interested in the fluttering of the wings.

By Odin’s beard…I bet that bird knows the way out Alrik! Can you see anything Osvauld?

As Osvauld walks north past the light of the fire, he can hear the flapping of the wings in the dark begin to come closer but without the firelight, he can’t see much of anything. The darkness is thick and complete.

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 pm
by G-Dizzle

Berger stands there for a while, undecided in which way to go.

He begins sniffing the air, let's out a "Whoop!" and heads south for the stairs.

"Stand back me boys," he says as he pushes his way past Orm and Sigfurd and begins heading up the stairs, "The nectar of the gods is up these stairs and I'm a goin' to church!"

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:31 am
by Piano man

Alrik shakes his head as Berger runs up the stairs. Drunken fool is going to get himself killed running around like that. Putting Berger from his mind Alrik looks around for something that could be used as a torch.

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:37 am
by DSIGFUSS
oc - there are several logs in the fire.

oc - Berger roll Dex x3

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:22 pm
by imme
Osvauld grabs one of the logs from the fire and uses it to try to see what's making the flapping sound.

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:08 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Osvauld grabs a log from the fire and continues north towards the flapping noise. Torvog does the same and follows looking to Alrik to back him up. The columns continue North for a hundred feet or so. After walking 50 ft or so, Osvauld passes a space in the columns. On the floor, in the center of the room, is a large silver plated disc with a rune etched on its surface. The silver coated rune sparkles in the torch light illuminating a good portion of the chamber’s center. Osvauld knows that the symbol is the Viking rune Tyr named after the one handed Norse God of the same name.

To the west and east are doors made of intricately carved stonework. Osvauld can’t make out any of the carvings without getting closer. The notes in the dark seem loudest from the west. The flapping of wings continues from the North.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:15 am
by G-Dizzle

OOC: Dex x 3 = 27, rolled 10
No shit! I thought sure i was gonna fail this one.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:24 am
by DSIGFUSS
Berger runs up the stairs panting like a drunken fool into the darkness. He negotiates the stairs and climbs them with the grace of a Valkrie; almost as if his last drink were dependent on him not falling ass over back down the steep stone grade. He reaches the top and the smell he's been searching out was stong in front of him. The darkness was two thick. He couldn't make out a damn thing.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:23 am
by Piano man
Alrik follows wordlessly behind the others, bow ready in hand.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:57 pm
by Henrik
"Berger, by Thor's beard. What are you doing?" Orm is no coward, but to head into danger without the support of your brothers in arms is just... stupid. The viking decides to return to the fire to see what the others have found.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:22 pm
by G-Dizzle
Henrik wrote:"Berger, by Thor's beard. What are you doing?"

"Followin' my instincts boys,"
Berger calls back down the stairs and smacks his lips.

Once he reaches the top of the stairs, he slows down and stretches his arms out in front of him, hands searching for a touch of bottle or barrel.
He sniffs the air loudly, attempting to determine if the smell is coming more from one direction than any other.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm
by imme
Osvauld turns to look back at Alrik and quietly says, "We may learn more from following the music than the flapping." He turns in that direction and continues through the dark.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:31 pm
by Henrik
Orm wishes that he could follow the others, but he would not forgive himself if Berger's recklessness would make him head into danger. He follows Berger up the stairs.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:19 am
by mikc
Weoulf follows Orm`s lead and advances cautiously up the stairs, sword drawn, senses on fire and alert to any sign of danger.

The sweet tingle of adrenalin courses through his body, mingled with the faintest sour tweak of trepidition; a fight would be a welcome diversion in this impossible Skraeling hall, but what if there were more sorcery to come?

Nothing my sword can`t deal with he thinks to himself, grunting out loud and turning to those behind him, "Are you with me on this, boys? Let`s give these Skraelings a taste of Norse anger!"

So saying he increases his pace, the blood lust rising to his head as he bares his teeth and lets out a throaty, animal growl.

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Berger Charges up the stairs into the pitch black darkness beyond the fire. Reaching the top in seven long steps, Berger slows his pace, keeping his arms out in front of him. Following his nose, Berger quickly comes across a wide stone pillar standing roughly 4 feet off the ground. He hears dripping at its base. His hands brush clumsily against the top of the pillar and plunge into a shallow basin filled with a strong smelling alcohol. Still, the Viking can see nothing but blackness and desire.

Weoulf, Orm and Sigfurd follow cautiously behind Berger. Behind them, they can see the light from Osvauld’s torch dim behind the tall ominous pillars as he explores the northern section of this strange chamber.
Weoulf, now walking more than a few feet to Berger’s right bumps into something at the top of the stairs. He reaches out instinctively and finds that the object is made of stone. It stretches past his reach in either direction and its various grooves and edges seem smooth to the touch; as if they had been carved.

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:17 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Osvauld ignores the flapping coming from the North and instead turns west to investigate the hauntingly beautiful music. Alrik follows… bow in hand, ready for anything. Torvog the jailer readies his mace and stays close to Alrik. The two pass by two rows of columns all in perfect alignment as they walk slowly west. Then both men spot a closed door against the large stone wall on the west face of the chamber. The door is thick and made of wood with polished silver fittings. The metal glints in the light of Osvauld’s torch. On the door is a carving of a man with a long beard and Nordic helm over top an anvil whilst another man looks on.

The runes surrounding the carving are Nordic in their origin, but ancient and difficult to read.

The simple yet elegant notes appear to be coming from behind the door.

ooc – Osvauld and Alrik please include a runes check in your post.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 am
by Piano man
Alrik stops at the runes and inspects them but failsto make any sense out of them. He turns to Osvauld gesturing to the runes. Can you make sense out of these. I've never seen the like of them before.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:08 pm
by Henrik
Orm turns to Weoulf: "Did you hit something?" he asks.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:27 am
by G-Dizzle
Berger continues to follow his nose, sword held out in front of him.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:26 am
by mikc
Henrik wrote:Orm turns to Weoulf: "Did you hit something?" he asks.
The Viking turns to his friend, scowling in confusion. "There`s some sort of structure here, feels like it`s been carved or something. Get a torch on it!"

Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:16 am
by imme
"No, la- ... No, I can't recognize them either. Well then." Osvauld checks the door to see if it opens.

ooc: I don't have a runes skill listed on my sheet, but I'm pretty sure this would be a fail:
runes check (1d100=71)

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:59 pm
by Henrik
Orm nods in reply and runs down the stairs. He returns to the fire where they started perhaps it is possible to make an improvised torch from a wooden log or something similar in the room?

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik and Osvauld can’t make out any of the ancient runes on the surface of the door and Torvog the jailer seems equally baffled but that is no surprise to anyone. Torvog was not given the task of watching an empty cell for his mental prowess.
One symbol, however, is easily recognizable and seems to appear more frequently than the others. The same symbol that Osvauld noticed on the floor of the chamber… The Norse rune of Tyr. The one armed Viking God of Single Combat and Heroic Glory.

Osvauld tries to open the door but the door will not budge. There doesn’t even appear to be a keyhole. The strange notes depicting a four bar rift continue to play over and over again from behind the solid wooden door. Not even Alrik the bard has heard this song before.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Berger finds what he is looking for. A large stone pedestal filled to the brim with a sweet smelling and highly potent spirit.

Orm runs back to the fire and grabs a torch of his own while Weoulf and Sigfurd wait patiently in the darkness feeliong their way around the stonework.

Orm quickly returns with a log from the fire and casts some light onto the scene. Before them is a large stone statue of the Viking God Tyr. The statue standing 40 ft from the floor towers above the four Vikings. The statue is of masterwork craftsmanship and its features are so entirely realistic that Tyr seems to glare down at them with dark eyes riddled with judgment.

The light of the makeshift torch illuminates Berger whose face is submerged in one of the two four foot pedestals to either side of Tyr slurping greedily.

oc - you don't have to be doing this G-Dizzle. Just let me know if you are not drinking the alcohol in the pedestal. I just assumed you would. I fyou are it tastes like drunken Valhalla. ;)

Weolf notices that there is a deep trail of liquid coming from the pedestals and leading to the walls to the east and west The liquid continues along narrow troughs built into the floor along the walls. The trough sontinue for as far as the torch light will provide.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:29 am
by G-Dizzle
Berger, indeed, has his face half-submerged in one of the stone pedestals, slurping away.

The only thing keeping him from complete bliss is the knowledge that he doesn't have a flask on him to fill up while he's here.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:10 pm
by Henrik
"Berger for the sake of the gods! Show some respect! That's probably not intended for you!" Orm shouts at the thirsty viking. What kind of place is this? A shrine to Tyr? Here in Helluland? This can not be Helluland, it must be Valhalla. Or is this the place where the rune was hidden?

"Let's press on. We have more things to explore. Perhaps we can find some answers around here somewhere!" Orm begins to follow the trough.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:41 pm
by mikc
"Yeah, control your bestial urges, you drunken fuck! Let`s get a move on!"

Weoulf gives the sot a kick in the rear as he passes him, trying to upend the man into the pedastel, and follows Orm into the darkness.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm
by G-Dizzle
mikc wrote:
Weoulf gives the sot a kick in the rear as he passes him, trying to upend the man into the pedastel
OOC: Oh yeah? Ya gonna roll an attack for that kick in the rear, then? Which means i get a counter attack....... :twisted:

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:54 am
by mikc
OOC - Oh, yeah! DSIGFUSS should determine what bonuses are given for kicking an opponent in the rear when they`ve got their face buried in their addiction of choice!

IC - Weoulf`s heart isn`t really in it. (Base 25%, rolled 60) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1607964/

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:43 am
by imme
Osvauld turns to Alrik. "Any ideas?"

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:00 am
by Piano man
Alrik shakes his head in frustration as he examines the door. If only I could make out these ruins I'm sure it would answer our question. He closes his eyes and listens to the melody playing from behind the door. There may be some sort of pattern that we are missing here that is linked to the music, but that may just be the bard in me speaking. Alrik runs his fingers over the ruins in the door tracing the outlines, and looking for a trigger that might open the door. There are no key holes so it would stand to chance that there is a lever or a button that will open it. I suggest we spread out and search the immediate area. Don't go out of sight of each other.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 pm
by imme
"Good." Osvauld nods and begins a more careful examination of the door.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 am
by DSIGFUSS

The torchlight only serves to illuminate a 20 ft radius circle. Basically the distance between two pillars.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:12 am
by DSIGFUSS
Berger, slurping greedily from the tall pedestal of potent clear alcohol, already begins to feel that familiar head spinning buzz coming on. (Berger’s pedestal is to the lefty of the statue of Tyr)

Weoulf then moves in with a kick to get the big lout moving but Berger shuffles out of the way, raising his head from the bowl of the pedestal. The kick brushes against Berger’s leg, distracting the large Viking from his drink. One of Berger’s eyes twitches slightly as he tries to focus through his rising drunken delirium.

Henrik follows the trough filled with liquor flowing from the pedestal to the right of the statue of Tyr along the west wall, eventually leaving Weoulf and Berger standing toe to toe in shadow. (As he leaves with the torch)

Sigfurd stands next to his friend Weoulf and smirks as Berger stumbles slightly as he straightens himself out to face his would be humiliator.

Berger was used to being picked on by now. Always appreciated at a good party, Berger's drunken foolery didn't seem to capture the audience's favour outside the drinking hall.

Sigfurd takes a step forward still smiling.

C'mon Berger. I'm not carrying you out of here!Quit yer drinking. We've got work to do!

Henrik continues with his torch along the western wall, following the trough. He soon hears Osvauld and Alrik speaking softly ahead of him.

ooc- Henrik roll idea.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:14 am
by DSIGFUSS
Meanwhile, Osvauld, Alrik and Torvog stand puzzled in front of the flat ringless door.

The two continue along the western wall searching for a lever of some description but find nothing upon their initial inspection. Alrik notices a thin gutter filled with strong smelling alcohol between the west wall and the floor. Torvog, not the sharpest scramasax in the shed, searches the pillars closest to the door humming despite his nervousness. The jailer always appreciated the Bard’s music and loved to sing along when he could remember the lyrics. The music behind the door continues to haunt the outside chamber with it’s sharp four bar melody, so beautiful to the Viking’s un-tuned ears.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:37 am
by Piano man
Failing to find a mechanism to open the door with Alrik decides to enlist the aid of his magic. Probing the runes one more time he starts to sing.

elhaz elhaz elhaz
z z z z z z z z z
[a deep whirring, whistling sound]
uz az iz ez uz
oz ez iz az uz
z z z z z z z z z
(m m m m m m m m m)

ooc http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1609018/ passed skill check if you allow me to use my magic to try again.
15. MAN
A fifteenth I know, which Folk-stirrer sang,
the dwarf, at the gates of Dawn;
he sang strength to the gods, and skill to the elves,
and wisdom to Odin who utters.
Cost : 2/4 sanity
Effect: Adds 10 points to STR, INT or DEX. Results in 100 increase in skill points to a maximum of 85% in any skill
Duration: 3 rounds

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:18 am
by Henrik

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:13 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc – Orm recognizes the trough filled with alcohol and its purpose.. He’d seen their design before… When his beloved wife died, he spent some time honoring her and payed homage to the gods by visiting temples spread across the Viking colonies of Iceland. There he had seen similar chamber lit by fuel filled troughs. Lighting the alcohol at any place would set the stone troughs ablaze, spreading light to every corner of the hall

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik finishes his song and all the Vikings in the chamber hear him clearly. His voice fills the hearts of all who hear it with a powerful pride in their heritage. They are Vikings and the Bards of Valhalla will sing their deeds before Odin’s table and his guests will raise their swords and sing.

Sigur eða Dauði Victory or Death!

Upon second glance with the wisdom of the elves coursing through his mind, Alrik reads the runes aloud.

Through Song shall ye Pass! Through Song shall ye Follow. Through Song shall ye Silence the Son!

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:12 pm
by Henrik
Orm contemplates the fun of setting fire to the alcohol thus setting fire to Berger for a moment then he considers it again. Some light would not be bad after all!

"Everyone out of the trough! Especially you Berger! I'm going to lighten things up!" He then puts his burning log to the alcohol in the trough.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:31 pm
by G-Dizzle
Berger reluctantly steps back from the pedestal, wiping his mouth on the back of one sleeve and lets out a tremendous belch.

When the alcohol begins to blaze, he sighs sadly. "What a waste."

Then he hiccups, which makes him giggle.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:10 pm
by imme
Osvauld claps Alrik on the back. "Well done!" He listens for a moment to the haunting music, and starts humming along with it.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:00 am
by Piano man
Alrik nods to Osvauld, and joins the man using his voice to mimic the music he hears.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:11 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Orm lights the fuel with his torch and the fire travels along the edge of the wall, illuminating the entire chamber with its glow. Berger backs away from the pedestal as it bursts into flame fully lighting the 30 ft statue of Tyr. As the fire snakes up the wall to the north, everyone ion the chamber can hear the squawking of a bird. Weoulf stading closest to the center can see an open exit on the far north wall.

Torvog taps Alrik on the shoulder as the two humm along to the music playing from behind the door.

Uhh… Alrik? There’s another door.

Both men turn to see a closed wooden door (of similar craftsmanship to the one they are staring at) on the opposite east wall.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:19 pm
by Piano man
ooc that would have been good to know when we said we searched the area. :)

Alrik stops his humming and turns to look at the other door. I knew that he says in a tone that Alrik uses with Torvog when he loses at games. He then turns and makes his way to the door seeing if there is any way to open it.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- You hadn’t searched the whole room yet… It was too damned dark yo!

Alrik walks across the chamber to the wooden door on the east side wall and Torvog follows still humming the four bar tune. As he walks away from the music behind the ringless locked door, he passes through the center of the chamber, stepping over the large Rune of Tyr. Alrik hears flapping to the North and notes the doorless opening to the chamber.

The door to the East is plain with only one rune etched onto it’s wooden face. The Rune of Tyr. Alrik tries the door and it opens with little effort. A staircase winds down into darkness.

ooc- what is everyone else doing?

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 am
by mikc
Noting the activity in the hall, Weoulf casts one last cursory glance over the "fire trough" and decides there`s nothing more to be found here.

"Didn`t singe your whiskers, did you, Berger? Be careful not to fart or we`ll have an extra torch to take with us!"

Weoulf heads down the steps away from the pedestal and over toward the newly-discovered door in the east wall.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 am
by Henrik
Orm walks to the newly discovered eastern door, following anyone brave enough to go through it.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:06 pm
by imme
Osvauld shrugs and goes over to the other door ... the one that will actually open. "Someone follow me with a torch. I'll go first." He draws his sword and cautiously begins to descend.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:43 am
by Piano man
Alrik pauses and looks at the other door. Let's check out this one while I think about what the runes said, but I'd like to go back to the other door eventually. I think if it's that hard to get into there must be something worth seeing behind it.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:25 am
by mikc
"Well," says Weoulf, "before we hang around here like a bunch of old women waiting for Ragnarok, why don`t we just go in?"

So saying, he follows Osvauld, "I`m with you; at least two men here aren`t afraid!"

There is a hint of false bravado in all this; those who know Weoulf will be able to tell that he`s pretty spooked beneath his flippant manner.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:06 am
by G-Dizzle
"I'm with ya!" Berger belches out and follows Osvauld and Weoulf.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:30 am
by Piano man
Alrik waves his hand in front of his nose trying to disperse the smell of Berger's belch. Dam that could peel paint. He follows the group into the room bow in hand ready for anything that might be waiting.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:15 am
by DSIGFUSS
The door leads down a short hall. The walls are smooth and seemed carved from the rock. The floor is tiled with slates of marble and quartz and sparkles in the light of Osvauld's makeshift torch. As he walks, he passes torches on the walls. The hallway quickly turns and the party looks down a steep stone staircase. The sacred rune of Tyr is scatted all around the wall of the staircase, scratched deep into the stone and painted in all the colors of the world.

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:16 am
by mikc
Weoulf takes one of the torches from the wall and lights it from Osvauld`s brand.

"Shall we?" he asks the other viking, indicating the stairs with a nod of his head.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm
by Henrik
Orm lights a torch of its own from Weoulf's torch. "I'm ready to follow you. Orm pulls out his sword while holding the torch in the left hand. It's better to be armed in a strange place like this.

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:27 am
by imme
Osvauld grins. "Onward."

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 am
by DSIGFUSS
The party of Vikings moves cautiously down the stairs, Osvauld in the lead followed closely by Orm, Weoulf, Sigfurd, Alrik, Torvog and then Berger, stumbling in his fresh drunken splendor. The runes of Tyr nearly cover the walls. As they desend the number of runes lessens until the walls are plain rock leaving only a long dark winding stare in front of them. Still, the simple, yet elegant, four rift song reaches them from high above.

Berger, lagging behind a few lengths of stair hears flapping from above.

Torvog groans as they continue..

For fucks sake Osvauld! These stairs surely lead to Hel.

Sigfurd turns back to Alrik.

That song... Does it not remind you of something bard?

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 pm
by Piano man
Alrik nods deep in thought. It does, but I can't quite put my finger on it yet. Let's keep walking and I'll think some more.

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:56 pm
by imme
For fucks sake Osvauld! These stairs surely lead to Hel.
"Then we're in for a good adventure, aren't we?" Osvauld continues down the stairs.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 pm
by Piano man
Alrik approaches Osvauld. I believe I've figured out how to open that other door when we get back. It's actually quite simple. I'm surprised that neither of us thought of it earlier. Everywhere we go there are symbols of Tyr, and I know things about the ruins of Tyr. There is a four line verse that we could recite that would match up with music we heard. I bet that would open it. It is, if I see in a tree, a corpse from a halter hanging, such spells I write, and paint in runes, that the being descends and speaks.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 am
by Henrik
"But this place is this a temple of Tyr or the home of Tyr himself? And why is it located here, whereever here is?"

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 am
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd looks up the stairs and then looks down the long winding staircase.

Their's no end in sight Osvauld! If this does lead to Hel, it will be one Hell of climb out!

He smiles and looks playfully to Weoulf.

Do you think the Skraelings have found the gods Orm? Do you really think Tyr lies in these halls?

Torvog's eyes follow Sigfurd's up the stairs they just climbed. There must have travelled at least a thousand steps.

There must be a bottom.. I ain't climbing back up for Fuck's sake!

Berger stops to catch his wind as the group discusses rests. He rests with one hand on his knee and vomits on the stone stairs.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 am
by Henrik
"I thought you were a man who could hold his drink" Orm says to Berger. "A bottomless set of stairs now that would be interesting. Let's press on" Orm says and takes the lead. His old bones ache but he tries not to think of it.

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 pm
by G-Dizzle
Berger wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and grins drunkenly.

"Jusht gettin rid of any leftover food to make more room in my belly for the mead, me boysh, thash all. It'sh an old Roman trick." He slurs contentedly.

Then he continues descending the stairs, slipping a bit as he steps on his own vomit.
He begins swatting at the air around his head, as if there were flying creatures swarming around him.
"For fuck'sh shake!" he exclaims. "I think there'sh bats."

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am
by Henrik
Orm prepares himself if Berger should become unruly. Now he seems to be seeing things.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:33 pm
by imme
Osvauld looks pensive as he continues down the stairs.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Osvauld presses the group forward and downwards as Sigfurd questions Orm about his theory.

If this is the temple of Tyr, then who built it Orm? Those red eyed devils? The skraelings? I doubt they’d have the brains to work this kind of stone and where in Hel’s dungeons did they get all the marble. I’m not even sure we’re still on Helluland old friend…. Mayhap we did pass and now we journey to Hel as the jailor jested.

Torvog grunts and looks down the stairway, still dark and foreboding.

You say you can open the door with no key Alrik? With your magics? Well there was another door at the other end of the chamber too; an opening where that damnable bird was flapping his beak off. Maybe we should have tried that one. It must have flown in from somewhere! We have choices here lads. Let’s not damn ourselves to an eternity of honor-less Hel. Course I’d rather rot in Hel than climb back up these Fucking steps.

Torvog, however continues to follow Alrik as they talk, not wanting to lose their momentum.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:09 am
by Henrik
"Let's continue, I say" Orm says. "I for one is interested in who built this place and who laid us by that fire. They may be gods, men or monsters. It does not matter. If they wanted us dead, they would have killed us, unless this is the afterlife."

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:26 am
by imme
"I agree," says Osvauld. "I am also curious as to who has brought us here. If this is the afterlife, where are those who are supposed to great us?

"What say you, Bard?"

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:22 am
by Piano man
Alrik nods. I do not want to walk forever though. I say we carry on for a little while longer and hope for a way out, but keep in mind this is a magical place and it is possible for a hallway to go on forever if that is what a god wills. If we haven't come to something then let us go back and I'll open the locked door. He smiles to himself a little. The best secrets are always behind locked doors. And answers for that matter.

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The six Viking warriors walk for half an hour down what seems to be the longest staircase in the world; or in Hel for that matter. When they finally reach the bottom, the stairs end into another narrow passage heading as far off as their torch light will reveal. The floor is made of marble and the walls and ceilings are covered in a beautiful mosaic of broken gemstones. The mosaic depicts the binding of Fenris by the gods and covers the roof and wall of this new corridor for at least 20 feet down. In the picture, the insatiable Fenris wolf is being bound by the Norse gods… Balder and Heimdall. A thin blue ribbon holds the wolf’s jaws closed around Tyr’s hand. All the Vikings know this story well.

Afraid that Loki’s son Fenris would devour the gods with his ever increasing appetite, the gods designed a magical cord to bind him. Fenris believed that nothing could hold him but still he was cautious. When the gods asked Fenris to test the cord on the wolf god himself, Fenris was distrustful. He agreed, however, for if he broke the cord he would be given the honor of fighting Odin; whom he hated and despised. To assure that the gods would remove the cord if Fenris lost the wager, Tyr volunteered to place his hand in the beast’s mouth. Fenris could not break the cord and Tyr refused to remove it so Fenris bit off Tyr’s hand. A noble sacrifice…. There Fenris would remain until he was finally freed to take part in the Ragnarok…. The end of the Viking world!

Written in plain Old Norse at the bottoms of the stairs, scratched deep into the marble floor is the following text.

Here in the house of Tyr is bound the Wolf Fenrisulfr. Son to Loki and the giantess Angrboða. May he forever be bound and may he forever be hungry. Til the end of the world….

The light flapping of wings can be heard coming down the stairs. It still sounds a fair distance away.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 am
by Henrik
"Here in the house of Tyr..." Orm reads the text again to see that he has understood it correctly. "By Odin's one eye! It can not be true. Fenrisulfr bound here?" Orm reads it again not believing what he is reading.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:35 am
by mikc

Weoulf has a bad feeling about this; he`s no coward, but this motley crew is surely no match for a God.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 pm
by imme
Osvauld speaks in a hushed voice. "Where have the gods taken us? And where is that blasted witch?"

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:25 pm
by Henrik
"Hopefully she is in Hel and won't bother us again" Orm answers. "A more pressing question is: do we want to go further down? Imprisoned or not I'm not keen on meeting Fenrisulfr!"

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:06 pm
by Piano man

Alrik peers down the seemingly endless hallway. I say we go back. This blasted hallway has no end. It is a trick of the gods to keep us moving without hope. He glances over his shoulder. At least this way there are doors that we have not yet opened. Now that I've figured out Tyr's riddle we can open that door.

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:16 am
by Henrik

"Let's move then!" Orm says.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:55 pm
by imme

Osvauld looks at the long staircase and raises and eyebrow. "Well, then." He rubs the front of his legs and gets ready for the climb back up.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:37 am
by DSIGFUSS
Torvog sits down on the steps and groans.

AHHH... fuck me with a scramasax! Are you sure about this bard?

Sigfurd's eyes seem alive with excitement.

If we are in the house of Tyr as the runes say... I'd cross the colors of the Bifrost bridge to look upon its secrets. Lead the way Alrik... but remember that your witch is not here to hold your hand... nor mine if we climb these stairs for naught. If you are with us Osvauld... I will climb.

Berger belches and the sound echoes up the long winding stairway. High above, the sounds of light wings flapping can be heard quite clearly by the Vikings. Berger doesn't seem to notice and belches again, stumbling from the effort.

Whatever takes us back to that delicious drink... I'll follow you Bard! Or you pretty lady!

Berger looks beyond Osvauld into the darkness and smiles drunkenly.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:33 am
by mikc

"I don`t like the whole fucking set-up," says Weoulf grumpily, "but I agree with Orm; I don`t fancy ending up as wolf-bait."

Looking across at Berger and wrinkling his nose at the noxious smell the belching drunkard is producing, he continues, "Of course, we could pacify the God with a little morsel who wouldn`t be missed."

Laughing contemptuously in the sot`s general direction, Weoulf finishes, "Now what the hell is he talking about? Which ´pretty lady` then? Is it your mother, down here to whore for the Wolf?"

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:36 pm
by imme
Osvauld ignores the ribald comments and begins ascending the stairs.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:06 am
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd laughs at Weoulf’s comment.

Yar! Fenris will be drawn to the drunkard stench!

He turns and follows Osvauld up the steps.

Berger grunts and belches.

It’s not me mum yah fucking.. hiccup!... prick! Tis a beautiful skraeling lady. I saw her in the waters bathed in light. I think she… hiccup!... fancies me!

Torvog shakes his head and wipes the swet from his brow. He begins the long walk back up the stairs.

Ignore the Drunk! He'd still be locked up in me cell if we still had our Captain... Come then Bard! Regail us with a song from old. My spirits need picking up something fierce.

Ooc- CON x5 checks all around to see how well you are handling the strenuous activity.

The sounds of wings flapping gets louder as the Vikings begin to climb back up the stairs.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:59 pm
by mikc
Weoulf pauses, leaning with one hand against the wall; it`s been a tough few days and he`s feeling the worse for wear. CON x 5 = 75 (1d100=95)

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 pm
by Henrik
Orm may be old, but he can still work as a young man.

CON roll (1d100=39)

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:07 am
by Piano man
Alrik stares at Sigfurd with a glare that would cut stone, but says nothing. He is huffing a puffing from the exertion of climbing the stairs. Once he regains his breath he begins to sing a battle chant that tells of great victories and the promises of Valhalla.

ooc con check failed rolled 89

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 pm
by imme
conX5=70 (1d100=59)
DSIGFUSS wrote:Berger grunts and belches.

It’s not me mum yah fucking.. hiccup!... prick! Tis a beautiful skraeling lady. I saw her in the waters bathed in light. I think she… hiccup!... fancies me!
Osvauld pauses in his ascent, suddenly serious. "Berger, tell me more about this lady. I think I met the same woman."

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:06 am
by G-Dizzle
Rolled 44

"She was in the water. She made me smile and kisses like a goddess. *hiccup*

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:02 pm
by imme
Osvauld looks slightly dumbstruck, as if he just woke up to discover his dream was real. "She was at least a queen. She called me a son of Odin and welcomed me to her kingdom." He looks to Alrik. "Have you any idea who this woman may be?"

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm
by Henrik
"A woman?" Orm asks inquisitively. "I only remember some sort of gigantic fish who tried to drag me under. Not a pleasant experience."

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 am
by Piano man
Alrik shrugs. I don't know who you are talking about. I was knocked unsconcious right away so I didn't see anything.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:47 pm
by imme
"I know. I saw one of the whale beasts bringing you here. What I meant is, do you know any lore about such a woman?"

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:41 am
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd, quiet until now, lowers his head.

I saw her too. Before the blackness took me. She had skin like a Skraeling. She ws so beautiful I thought she was a Valkrie bringing me to Valhalla.

The group stops to rest or will leave a few of the more out of breath Vikings behind.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:43 am
by Piano man
Alrik stops and leans over trying to catch his breath. He speaks between gasps at first before his breathing returns to normal. It sounds like Ran, or "the goddess of the drowned." She is a moody and sometimes treacherous goddess of the seas and waters. As well she is the wife of Aegir and collects the corpses of the drowned in a net. She is cruel and mainly lurks near treacherous rocks, luring ships to their doom. So a typical woman. Alrik barks a laugh whether or not anyone joins him.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 pm
by Henrik
Orm does not join into the laugh. Why were they brought here and not killed outright as the others? Too many troubling questions too few answers.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:35 pm
by imme
"If you're right, then maybe we truly are dead." Osvauld looks grim. "Has she no fingers on her hands?"

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:32 am
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd shakes his head.

I remember her hands... She reached for me with bloody stumps. Not a finger nor a thumb on her hands if you could even call them that. If she wasn't so beautiful I'd have turned away. Ran is a foul creature. I've heard tales of her as beautiful as the moon... and as frightful as the seven seas itself. Your guess is as good as mine bard but if Ran did take us, then we have yet to reach Valhalla. Fuck and Piss I say. If we've to do battle with the Fenris wolf himself to earn our place at Odin's table.. I say so be it.

There's a short pause in the conversation as Sigfurd finishes his rant. The flapping of wings now growslouder. It couldn't be more than 20 feet up the winding stairs.

Torvog grunts, fear plain on his face.

Oh for Fucks Sake!

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 am
by Henrik
Orm draws his sword. "What manner of winged creature is up there?" he queries. "A bird perhaps? I do not like this place. It chills me to the bones."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:19 pm
by imme
Osvauld also draws his swords. "Come, men. If it is set for us to battle and die, then we shall. But let us fight so that we win a place of honor at Odin's table."

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:23 pm
by Piano man
Alrik pulls his bow and readies a spell.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm
by mikc
Weoulf readies his long bow and takes a bead on where he thinks the sound of wings is coming from.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:36 am
by DSIGFUSS
All of the Vikings stand at the ready except for Berger who seems to be petting something imaginary on one of the lower steps. Torvog bumps him with his mace but the jailor can't distract the drunkard long enough to get his full attention.

The fluttering gets louder and louder until it finally rounds their corner. A large (but not abnormally large) Raven lands no more than 15 steps above the Viking party. It squawks once and tilts it's head curiously to the right, regarding the Vikings.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 am
by Henrik
"By Odin's one eye. Could that be Hugin or perhaps Munin?" Orm suggests.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:06 am
by Piano man
The whole world wide, every day,
fly Hugin and Munin;
I worry lest Hugin should fall in flight,
yet more I fear for Munin.

Alrik recites this from memory as it's written in the Grimnismal. Turning to those that wouldn't know he explains. Hugin and Munin travel the world bearing news and information they have collected to Odin. Hugin is "thought" and Munin is "memory". They are sent out at dawn to gather information and return in the evening. They perch on the god's shoulders and whisper the news into his ears. Turning to Orm he he continues. Chances are though that this is just a really big raven, although I don't think they would be native to a land as cold as this, and from what we've seen this appears to be a temple of Tyr not Odin.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 pm
by imme
"Mmm." Osvauld doesn't take his eyes off the bird. "We also had a raven on the boat, before it went down." He bows his head to the raven, and then hesitantly takes a step up the stairs.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:31 pm
by Henrik
"Perhaps we should feed it" Orm suggests. "It seems to be an intelligent creature. Nothing in this place is what it seems to be."

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
The bird watches Osvald as it passes him and then turns to look back to Orm. It takes a few steps towards the party and Torvog nearly falls over dropping his mace on the stairs as it clings and clangs at least one flight down. Torvog turns and chases it and the group quickly loses sight of him as he winds his way down.

Ah Fuck!

Sigfurd laughs whole heartedly.

Feed it! An excellent idea brother!

He then pulls out a small piece of bread from his pack and tosses it to Orm.

Do you really think this to be one of the famed pheasants of Odin bard?

The Raven flaps his wings and sqwaks at Sigfurd seemingly upset for a bird.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 am
by Henrik
Orm rips a piece of the bread and tosses it towards the raven. This is a strange place where nothing really seems to be what it is, so it's best to be polite towards its inhabitants.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:52 pm
by mikc

Weoulf lowers his bow but keeps the arrow flighted as he eyes the bird and the proceedings suspiciously.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:15 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Raven approaches the bread and looks at Orm before he takes it into his beak. and quickly swallows it.

Sigfurd laughs out loud again.

I think he likes you Orm.

He then walks past the bird and follows Osvald.

C'mon old friend... There will be plenty more birds outside this cursed dungeon.

The Raven watches Sigfurd carefully as the young Viking squeezes past him but shows little fear. Then he looks back to Orm and in the strangest voice, the Raven speaks. It sounds like a man's voice at first and then changes to woman. Both sound like they are speaking under water; hollow and muffled.

I'll untie the wolf. Loki will reward us handsomely.

No don't. There's no way out!

Coward!

No! Wait!

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh!
Eeeeeeeeeeeeek!

The Raven shrieks in both male and female voices and then looks at Orm quizically. He takes another hop towards him, jerking his head awkwardsly to the side.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:27 pm
by mikc
"What deviltry is this?" shouts Weoulf nervously, drawing his bow taut once more and aiming at the raven.

"Is this some sort of demon?"

He looks around at his companions, hoping Alrik will take the lead, "What say you, bard? Should I run it through with my swift arrows?"

There is a note of panic in his voice; the Viking is unsettled by this latest supernatural manifestation.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:21 am
by imme
"No! Don't shoot." At the sound of the voices, Osvauld turned and listened to the bird. Now he begins descending the stairs again. "I think it is mimicking voices it heard. We must go back down the stairs." He hurries back down the stairs they had laboriously climbed.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 pm
by Henrik
"I did not know that ravens could do that! This is indeed scary" Orm says as he follows Osvauld down the stairs.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:26 pm
by Piano man
It's mimicking the voices of the last people who went down the stairs. That is where the wolf is. I say we keep going back up the stairs to the room. I for one don't want to miss the warning that bird carries.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 pm
by imme
Osvauld pauses. "So you think the wolf was not successfully released? Or they untied him but he's still trapped in the room? It sounded like they met an unhappy end, but I hesitate to leave any chance of that wolf getting free."

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm
by Piano man
Alrik looks at the men. Don't you see it. This is a trick of the gods to keep us going in circles for the rest or our lives. I think whoever or whatever runs this place was amused by us wandering down an endless path, and now that we've turned back to go somewhere we know exists it tempts us to turn around and continue with our folly.I for one won't fall for it. I say we continue back up to the door.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:06 pm
by mikc
"I agree," says Weoulf, nodding, "we should not follow this bird of ill repute. Let us go back to the hall."

He keeps his bow trained on the bird and cautiously begins ascending the stairs again.

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:36 pm
by Henrik
"Is it just me or didn't something happen to the two persons that the bird mimiced? They were screaming! Perhaps the wolf ate them or some other gruesome fate. I vote for leaving. Someone must have carried us here for some reason. Let's try to find that person before we go wolf hunting" Orm suggests.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 am
by imme
Osvauld nods. "Well then. Up the stairs it is."

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:11 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Raven waits for the party to pass and then opens his mouth to speak.

The voices that come out of the Ravens mouth this time are much different. They are steeped in courage and charisma.

I will stay Balder and defeat Odin's wolf! He will not lay waste to another village!

No Tyr! This foe is beyond even us! Run!

Run!

Then the Raven sqwaks!

Run!

Run!

Run!

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:14 am
by Piano man
Alrik nods to himself as he passes the Raven. This is one of the ravens that whispers in Odin's ear. He is memory. What it is saying is a repeat of Balder and Tyr's encounter with the Fenris wolf.. Even they knew that hey could not defeat it. They had to trick it and bind it with a magical silk cord. It's my guess that whoever brought us here is using this bird to warn us that peril lies at the end of the hall.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:19 am
by imme
Osvauld looks at the bard and nods. "Good." He continues up the stairs.

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:45 am
by Henrik
Orm nods. "Sounds reasonable. Remind me to thank our rescuer. Could it be one of the gods perhaps? They have been known to walk Midgard. Especially Odin." He turns and follows the others upstairs.

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The group suddenly stops dead in their tracks as Torvog's screams echoe up the stairs mixed in with low glutteral growling.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! No... Please! Fuck No! Let go! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sigfurd turns and looks wide-eyed at Weoulf.

Torvog! What in Hel was that?

The Vikings hear a howl and the sound of tearing flesh fills the stairway. Torvog the jailor couldn't have been more than than three flights down. He'd fumbled for his mace and the awkward thing had bounced quite a ways down.

There is a moment of silence as the screaming comes to an abrupt halt and the sounds of bone breaking and crunching is all that can be heard.

The Raven takes flight...

I Said Run You Fools! Run!!! The Wolf's Hunger Cannot Be Sated!

Berger doesn't hesitate.

He pushes past Osvauld and takes the lead.. bounding clumsily up the stairs in his drunkeness.

Get the Fuck out of my way Assholes!

ooc- Give me your initiative and what you plan to do please. (1d10 +DEX)

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:14 pm
by mikc
DEX 17 + (1d10=9) = 26

"Let`s get out of here!" cries Weoulf, sheathing his arrow and running up the stairs.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:40 pm
by Piano man
ooc init 1d10 = 9 + 14 = 23

Alrik runs up the stairs.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:40 pm
by imme
Osvauld also charges up the stairs.

occ: init (1d10 11=19)

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:16 pm
by Henrik
Knowing that he does not really want to die in a pointless way Orm follows the others up the stairs.

Initiative roll (1d10 14=20)

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 pm
by DSIGFUSS
With all the talk of wolves and gods, Sigfurd scurries up the stairs keeping pace with Alrik.

oc- Intitiative 23.

Weoulf is cloearly in the lead, strides ahead of everyone. He blows by Berger and is the first to reach the top step and pass the threshold into Tyr's temple.
Berger is right behind him followed by Alrik, Sigfurd, Ormand finally Osvauld. They had long left Torvog behind and the howling continued until they neared the top steps. Now the only sound that could be hard was the heavy panting of tired weary Viking soldiers as they emptied into the temple.

Weoulf, in the lead came to rest on top of the largest rune for Tyr, scribed artistically into the floor. Alrik and Sigfurd soon came to a stop behind him.

The temple was now fully lit as the alcohol based fuel was fast ablaze and circled the entire perimeter of the temple. The door that had perplexed them earlier remained closed ahead of them as did the door to their right. There had been a breeze coming from that direction earlier but had subsided.

To their left stood a tall statue of Tyr lit brightly by the fire. His missing arm now dripped with blood onto the hard stone blocks.

ooc - Osvauld Listen roll and your actions.

ooc- Everyone else please tell me what you do for the first fifteen seconds or so. :shock:

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:05 am
by mikc
Weoulf runs across the room to the large rune in the centre of the floor and takes up position, arrow ready in his bow, behind a pillar there.

Whatever comes up those stairs, I`ll not go down without a fight!

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:10 am
by imme
Osvauld, put at the back by chance, decides to accept fate and turns to see if anything had followed them up the stairs, his sword ready.

listen (40, I think) (1d100=30)

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:12 pm
by Henrik
Orm feeling ill at ease draws his sword and readies his shield. He would have liked to say that he did not fear anything but that raven had spooked him.

OOC: I do not know why, but it seems as our GM has begun using my real name instead of Orm. :lol:

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- So sorry Henrik. It's cuz Henrik sounds like such a cool Viking name! :D
I'll post as as soon as we hear from Alrik!

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:27 am
by Piano man
Alrik continues to run towards the locked door and shouts over his shoulder. Quickly, follow me. Once he reaches the door he starts to chant.

if I see in a tree
a corpse from a halter hanging,
such spells I write, and paint in runes,
that the being descends and speaks.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Alrik finishes each line to Odin's song for the rune of Tyr, a series of loud unclamping and grinding noises sound through the temple.

Osvauld, lagging slightly behind, turns around to see a massive hulking shape, matted in fur and wreaking of death, come bounding up the stairs.
Torvog's lifeless body seems like a toothpick in the beast's mouth and he spits him onto the floor at Osvauld feet with a crack as Torvog the Jailer's spine cracks in half leaving a twisted snarl on his half eaten face.
As the light of the wall fire burns all around them, the Vikings can see that it is indeed a wolf like none they had ever seen before.

Ten feet tall the creature stood, it's saliva pooling on the cold stone floor like puddles in the rain. The Beast had his eyes fixed on Osvauld as it stalks ever slowly forward. Weoulf, Sigfurd and Orm seemed momentarily paralyzed with fear as their human instincts told them the beast will pounce at the slightest movement. Then as they all had feared, the Fenris wolf spoke!

Odin spawn! You think I will be tricked twice? And by the likes of you?

As Alrik sings the last verse of the song, the door bearing the rune of Tyr hisses open, a powerful blackness behind it. What little light that touches the inner chamber of Tyr's temple glints with the promise of gold.

ooc- Sanity check 1/1d6+1

ooc- actions please!! :evil:

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:48 pm
by imme
san check (at 80) (1d100=33)

Osvauld judges the muscular legs of the Wolf, and the distance across the courtyard.

"A coward believes he will ever live
if he keep him safe from strife:
but old age leaves him not long in peace
though spears may spare his life.

Go, men. I'll see you in Valhalla."

He stands, sword raised high, and waits for the Wolf to make his move.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:10 pm
by Piano man
Alrik calls from the other side of the door. Don't be fools. Not even the gods could match the wolf. This door is closing right now either be behind it or be dead. Alrik recites the chant again that will close the door.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:54 pm
by mikc
ooc - SAN 55 (1d100=16), loses 1 SAN

Weoulf decides to heed the Bard`s advice and turns and sprints towards the doors.

"Come, Osvauld! `Tis madness to face the beast!"

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:17 pm
by Henrik
"I have dreamt of the day that I die and meet my love in the halls of Valhalla, but this is not that day! You will not escape beast!" With those defiant words, Orm throws himself against the door opening.

San Check (1d100=45) Orm loses 1 San.

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:19 pm
by Henrik
DSIGFUSS wrote:ooc- So sorry Henrik. It's cuz Henrik sounds like such a cool Viking name! :D
I'll post as as soon as we hear from Alrik!
Well, the name is Germanic. Personally I think that Orm is so much cooler (for those that does not know, it means Snake!)

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The massive balck wolf lunges at Osvauld as Weoulf ,Orm and Sigfurd race behind the dimlit door. Berger, however, turns East and hurries towards the statue of Tyr.

Hold the door bard! I'll be right back!

As Weoulf, Sigfurd and Orm enter the chamber they are overwhelmed by the beauty of the room. There is very little light, but the scattered tornchlight carries due to the heavy piles of gold scattered about the floor. Above the sea of gold coin covering the floor is a block of solid Black Shale fixed with a giant metal ring. A chain dangles from the ring to the golden covered floor. It seems obvious to that someone or something was being held here, chained to the giant steel ring.

Alrik continues his slow melodious chant and the door contracts slightly with the first of a four line stanza having been sung.

A coward believes he will ever live

At the end of the chain is a length of thin material. (green and speckled with runes and pictograms)

At the end of eastern most end of the anti-chamber is a tall sarcophogus lying flat on the floor; gold coin and jewels piled high around it, nearly covering the extravagent coffin. Paintings and runes carved on the wall tell the tale of the Viking God Tyr sacrificing his hand so he could bind the wolf Fenrir with the silken ribbon the gods named Gleipnir.

Resting on the Sarcophagus is a spear dipped in gold and speckled with emeralds.

There is no exit other than the one they came through.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:11 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The wolf crashes into Osvauld as the Viking lietenant raises his shield. He swears he can already hear the uproarious applause, echoing through the halls of Valhalla.

Munin, the Raven caws out!

Forever will Odin sing the courage of Osvauld! Osvauld! Osvauld!

The great black wolf presses hard, pushing Osvauld back put the Viking digs his feet into the stone floor, desperately searching for some sort of footing before he is thrown aside and torn limb from limb by the Fenris Wolf.

I will feast on your marrow Child!

ooc - roll a strike and a very important parry Osvauld
ooc - everyone else... actions

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:24 pm
by mikc
Weoulf looses a volley of arrows at the wolf.

ooc - not sure how often he can fire; have rolled three times, just disregard any excess.
Longbow 75% (1d100=48, 1d100=100, 1d100=64)

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:45 pm
by imme
Osvauld has no attention left to see if his men have successfully reached safety; all he knows is the snarling of The Wolf. Taking firm grip of sword and shield, he makes this fight worth it, as it may be his last.

strike and parry (75) (1d100=41, 1d100=52)

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:00 pm
by Henrik
Orm sees the spear and gets an idea. Could it be? He tries to grab the spear.

OOC:Is it throwable like a javelin? I have certain suspicions about this spear...

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:42 am
by DSIGFUSS
Orm grasps the golden spear in his hand and all his suspicions are made true. He now holds the mighty Gungnir...

Images of the past flood uncontrolably through the Viking's mind...
It is nearly too much for Orm to bare.

Odin on his throne whispering to his ravens to find a suitable resting place for Gungnir... a place where the spear will wait impatiently for the coming of the Ragnarok.

Held by ordinary men to whom Odin thought it amusing to place the spear in their grasp. driving them mad with power... longing to return to its rightful master. Always finding it's way home to him....

Found long ago and given to Odin by Tyr, Norse god of Justice as he passes on the throne of the sky to his Viking Lord.

The memories dig deeper into Orm's mind and become increasingly dificult and painful to understand.

Held by the Valkries.... The face of Orm's beloved holding firm to Gungnir, delivering the souls of the fallen to the halls of Valhalla... This image stays with Orm for a time as his wife rides through the fires of Nifelhelm, on top a giant winged steed, holding the spear high...

To the dwarves.. who had taken a spear from a simpler folk... forged it anew as a gift to the gods.

Back to its creation... to the lands of ice and snow... A Skraeling had roped it... His son had held it..... Never for war.. but for the hunt... To its people Gungnir would do no harm.

ooc- Sanity check! 5/1d10 +5

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 am
by DSIGFUSS
Weolf loosed his first arrow and it suck effortlessly into the backside of the Fenris wolf. He paid it no mind as he continued his blood lustful advance on Osvauld. As Weoulf stretched back his second arrow, his string snapped in two... the thin wire lashing back at his face leaving a nasty scar.

Osvauld dug his sword deep into the Wolf's chest. Blood poured from the fresh wound like a river as he pulled his sword free. The wound then suddenly stopped bleeding, as soon as the steel left the wolf's thick fur. Osvauld had been in enough battles, killed enough men to know that something was wrong. It would take many blows to bring this creature down.

The noble Viking, however, was buying his kinsmen time and doing a good job of it.

The Fenris wolf snapped at Osvauld's throat. The sound of the great beasts jaws closing was not unlike a hammer to an anvil. It rung through Osvauld's ears. Osvauld raised his shield and the wolf's jaws snapped short. The weight of the beast knocked him back.

ooc- Weoulf actions...

ooc- Osvauld (damage from last attack 1d8 +1d4) Plus roll attack, parry, damage for next round. Also please roll a DEX x4 to stay on your feet.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:55 am
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik continue his song... He completed the second line as the door squeeled and hissed, moving a few more inches closed.

a corpse from a halter hanging,

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:37 pm
by imme
Osvauld did not expect this fight to be easy; in fact, it is probably impossible for him to defeat this beast. He grits his teeth and keeps fighting.

ooc: last round of damage was 10. failed DEX roll. successful attack and parry, if those still count. damage (if inflicted) is 10. attack, parry (75), DEXx4=44 (1d100=31, 1d100=16, 1d100=51), damage from last round and for new round (1d8 1d4=10, 1d8 1d4=10)

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:44 pm
by Henrik
All images in his head and Orm tries to hold on to himself and his identity, but this is a weapon crafted for Gods, not for mortal men. How can he Orm wield Gungnir?

Orm's first San Check! (1d100=59) Pass the check, but -5 San then!

I guess this is needed:

Idea roll (1d100=4) I pass that as well!

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - OK Orm! Roll 1d10.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:53 pm
by Henrik
Pick your insanity! (1d10=9)

OOC:Ha ha ha! Strange or deviant eating desires! Give me your worst dear keeper!

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 am
by DSIGFUSS
Weoulf, keeled over from the bow strap to the face, fumbles for a moment while Alrik begins the third line of Tyr's song.(of 4).

but old age leaves him not long in peace

The door to the chmaber grinds aginst the stone floor closing another foot. One more line and the door will be closed, trapping all those outside it with the Fenris Wolf.

The Wolf advances on Osvauld, his jaws snapping ferociously. Osvauld manages to raise his shield keeping the massive wolf-god's teeth from finsing it's mark. From the corner of his eye he spots Berger racing to the door holding his helm in both hands. Liquid splashes all about the big lummox as he drunkenly squeezes through the quickly fading space in the door.

Osvauld cuts the wolf's ear and more blood drips down on his face. This just seems to enrage the beast who growls and taunts the Viking with every foul breath.

I can smell your piss Viking! Are you afraid to die alone? I will lap the blood from your own steel. I will feast on your spine!

Berger smiles at Alrik and raises his helm to some invisible party goer and takes another healthy swig of strong smelling alcohol.

Made it! Slurp! Slurp! Huff Huff! Huff! Slurp! Slurp!

Orm seems in a daze.. holding Gungnir firmly in both hands.

The Raven flies high to the top of the pillars calling feverishly to Osvauld. The bird seems almost panicked.

Osvauld! Osvauld! Osvauld! To Osvauld! Valhalla welcomes you!

ooc- The door will be closed after Alrik finishes the fourth and final line to Tyr's song! (At the end of the next round)

ooc- Osvauld. I will need your actions. All strike and parry is at -10% because you are still prone. If you try to get up you will either have to give up your strike or your parry unless you roll a DEX x3.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:34 pm
by imme
Osvauld seems to become more calm as he lets fate take over. "Our final journey is always alone. I fear nothing."

He attempts to rise, but can't manage to do so. Because of his falter he misses his chance to strike the Beast again, but brings is sword up in time to block the next advance of the Wolf.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:15 pm
by Henrik
"Berger!" Orm shouts. "Do you have any more of that foul-smelling piss you call beer? We've got to some wolf hunting to do! But first I need a drink!" Orm moves towards the first source of beer can he find. He is the a look of frenzy in his eyes, like that of the fabled berserkers.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:32 am
by DSIGFUSS
Berger tries to pull the helmet full of sweet smelling spirits from Orm. The two wrestle for a moment and Orm gets a taste... as the alcohol hits his lips he feels a an overwhelming sense of satisified relief. Not the same thing a drunk might feel, but instead a beggar gone without food for days, finally offered a crumb.

Berger finally let's go of his Helm and Orm begins to drain it... drinking like a man pulled from the desert.

Fine! Fuck your mother Orm! Take it! There's plenty in this place. I've had me fill anyhow....

Sigfurd, now torch in hand, fumbles amongst the gold coins for another weapon, soon to find out that they are everywhere. He reaches for a spear, buried half in gold and pulls it free. He doesn't have time to notice the runes carved up the length of the shaft or the giant saphire forming a tip at the spear's head. Nor could he even tell that the spear's entire length was trimmed with silver and sparkled in the torchlight as he quickly launches it at the hulking Black Wolf; Osvauld struggling beneath it. The sear flies through the air and strikes it's mark, burying itself deep into the shoulder of the wolf. The wolf rolls off Osvauld as the door begins to make its final movement.

though spears may spare his life.

Then as Alrik finishes the song of Tyr, the door to the chamber slams shut, trapping Orm, Sigfurd, Berger, Weoulf and Alrik inside the chamber and leaving Osvauld outside... with the Fenris Wolf.

Sigfurd calls out to his captain..

Osvauld! Noooooo....

but is silenced as the seal to the chamber closes tight.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Fenris wolf leaps at the door as it closes snapping ferociously and scratching at the hinges to no effect. He then turns back to Osvauld as he gets to his feet. He circles the Viking warrior as he taunts him.

Your friends have abondoned you Viking... Do you think to best me with that? For centuries I have waited for my father's Our reunion will bathe this world in fire and blood!

Munin flies high over head chanting Osvauld's name over and over... A breeze blows through the temple from the eastern most door.

Osvauld! Osvauld! Osvauld!

ooc - Osvauld what do you do? Roll idea as well...

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:26 pm
by imme
ooc - sorry, can't post right now, gotta run idea (80) (1d100=15)

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 am
by imme
"My men are waiting their own turns for entrance into Valhalla. I won't lose here, beast, no matter the outcome. You cannot say the same." Osvauld drops his sword and dives for the spear that sticks from the Wolf's side.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:36 pm
by Piano man
Alrik stares at the door for a while before turning to the other men. Ok men we are locked in here and the wolf is out there. We need to find another way out. start searching.

ooc can you describe the room again. maybe a map if you have time.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:43 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd lights up a torch and the light instantly fills the room, bouncing off the gold coins, like moonlight over a still pond.
Not a spot of stone can be seen peeking through the gold. As the Vikings move around to get their bearings, the gold coins and jewelry shuffles pleasantly beneath their feet. The Vikings could get used to this... If this tomb wasn't their prsion as well.

Sigfurd moves his torch around the chamber.

To the East lies a long Sarcophagus where Orm had previously removed the spear Gungnir. The Sacophagus remains closed and runes of all sizes and description cover paintings and murals of the god Tyr's adventures.

Weapons litter the walls, some hanging and other leaning. Some half buried or fully for all the Viking knew, beneath the piles of gold coin. There is enough treasure of significance in this room to wage war on all of Europe. The weapons all seem fit for the gods, masterworks fitted with jewels so big, they seem wasted on a sword. They belonged on crowns or resting on chains between a princess' supple royal cleavage. Shields dressed in the same manor rested on walls and covered corners with their girth.

Directly across the chamber door was a raised slab 15 ft long and 6 ft wide. Carved from Black Shale and atop it was fixed an imposing steel ring. Lying lose on the slab was a long thing piece of silk with golden runes sewn into the elegant fabric.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:08 pm
by Henrik
Orm tries to get back to his senses. He still craves mead and the intoxication, but he tries to get his wits back.

OOC: I guess I dropped Gungnir? Where did it go? Is it in the chamber?

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:07 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Gungnir is still on the floor inside the chamber. You didn't make it far past the booze. :D

Osvauld reachesfor the spear but the Fenris Wolf turns quickly to the side and brings his whole body to bear on the Viking captain. The spear remains tightly lodged in the wolf's backside as he lunges for Osvauld.

ooc - roll dodge or take the hit (if he hits) and go for the spear again. Dex x4 now.

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:56 pm
by imme
Osvauld lets the beast come, hoping it will bring his hand closer to the spear.

ooc - DEXx4 (44) (1d100=18)

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 pm
by Henrik
Orm who still has a craving for beer examines the piece of silk. Is this the cord which fettered Fenrisulfr?

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:02 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Fenris Wolf lunges for Osvauld but it's gaping maw, twice as wide as Osvald, snaps shut just inches from the Viking's chest. Osvauld turns and nimbly grabs hold of the silver spear. As he pulls th espear free, the wolf howls out in pain. The hulking beast turns to face Osvauld and frothing in his own fury, the Fenris Wolf circles him again, waiting and taunting the Viking lietenant.

RRRRRAARRRRRRRGH! You think to stick me with that Viking? Perhaps.... Baldir once tried with the very same spear! Did you know that a god once held what you hold now little Osvauld. Heh! Heh! Heh!

The Fenris wolf pauses, realizing what he has said and smirks.

You have eaned that Viking! To have your name on my tongue! So much of you I would like on my tongue... but we will start with your name.... Osvauld!

Then I will taste your HEART!

The Fenris Wolf lunges at Osvauld, madness and savagery beyong mortal comprehension deep in his blood shot eyes.

ooc- 1) Combat Options.

You can take the hit and set the spear. (double damage if you hit) He gets no parry.
You can attack and parry with your shield. He gets a parry.
You can dodge and parry.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:06 am
by Piano man
Alrik makes his way over the sarcophagus and attempts to read the ruins. Men search the weapons for ones that fit your needs. If we can't find another way out we may have to join Osvauld in his fight. Maybe these ruins will give me a hint how to lure the wolf and tie him back up. As far as I can tell that is the silk that he was bound with before so we may be able to pull it off.

ooc read ruins rolled a 6 :D http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1749756/

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:46 pm
by imme
Osvauld is momentarily shaken by the fury of Fenris' speech, but as the beast begins to lunge Osvauld finds that the familiarity of combat brings back his confidence. If this is to be his last fight, it is truly a worthy one, and his is blessed to fight it with the weapon of a god. He sets the spear and braces for the Wolf's hit.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:59 am
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik reads the runes aloud...

Tyr
God of the Norse
Son to Odin
Strength

Through strength of blood did Tyr come to know the Wolf Fenrir. Through strength of mind did Tyr summon the courage to feed it. Through strength of character did Tyr befriend the wolf. Through strength of heart did Tyr bind him. Through strength of soul did Tyr leave him.

Outside the door, Osvauld plunges his spear into the thick flesh of the Fenris Wolf. (22 damage)The wolf yelps like a young pup as the emerald spear digs deep, finding the tenderest of tissue. Furous, the Fenris wolf snapped for Osvauld's throat. The wolf's teeth were like spear's in their own right, as long and sharp as the very tip Osvauld used to pierce the wolf god. His jaws closed down on Osvauld's shield arm piercing his mail as if it were just a second layer of skin. (9 damage)

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:07 pm
by mikc
Hearing Osvauld's screams, Weoulf cries out, "What are we doing, hiding in here like old mothers while our valiant comrade faces the beast alone? There is no place in Valhalla for cowards! Alrik!" he turns to address the Bard, "Open the door and let us aid Osvauld in defeating the beast ... or die a hero's death trying!"

The Viking moves toward the doors, impatient to get back out and test his mettle.

I'll never live the shame down if I cower in a vault while my comrade is ripped asunder outside!

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:42 pm
by Piano man
Alrik flashes Weoulf a look of rage. What the fuck do you think I'm trying to do. We need to figure out a way to stop the wolf, and I think I'm close. If we go out there unprepared than everything Osvauld has done will be for nothing. If he goes to the gates of Valhalla today I will not do something stupid to take away from his honor.

Turning back to the runes he barks his orders again. Now look through these weapons and find one that you can use or by Odin's beard I'll kill you myself. The rest of you men be ready. I'm going to open the door again as soon as I prepare something. Don't hold any fancies in killing this beast. Not even the gods could best it, but maybe we can trick it and bind it once again with the silk cord tied to the slab over there.

Alrik nods to himself and stands looking at the men. Once they all have weapons chosen he'll make his way to the door. Find something to pack your ears with. I'm am going to be using magic, and I don't need you all to fall under it's power. Once the door is open I'll begin the spell. Hopefully it takes the fight out of the wolf and we can lure it back in here and tie it up where it is supposed to be. Any questions. Alrik looks around at each man in the eyes making sure they've listened to him.

As an after thought he turns to his men. If this doesn't work then run. I will hold it off as long as I can, but we cannot defeat this creature in a battle with weapons. It is just not possible.

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm
by mikc
Weoulf looks for a battle-axe that appears better than his own and stuffs some old rag in his ears.
He awaits Alrik's signal.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:31 pm
by Henrik
"Right then." Orm tries to find a good sword and a shield.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 am
by DSIGFUSS
Weoulf searches quickly for a suitable axe and spots three hanging on the wall. Two to the left of a large plain circular shield and the third mounted on the shield itself.

A short double bladed axe covered in runes hangs to the shield's left. It seems to vibrate in the torchlight, the thin shadows behind it dancing with anticipation.

A large black polished great axe with very few distinguishing features save a single band of gold hangs to the the right of the shield. It looks heavier a more solid than any weapon Weoulf had seen before.

And between the two axes resting on a plain brown shield is fixed a one handed battle axe, aged and marked with a simple rune

Image Image

ooc - Orm see pm.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - Osvauld your actions please. (Strike, Parry, and Witty Banter) (I'll do damage if you hit)

Alrik begins the first line to the Song of Tyr. Only when he has finished all four lines will the vault door open. He voice sounds clear and tight in the air sealed chamber but every note is perfectly calculated through the lips of the bard.

if I see in a tree

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:52 am
by mikc
ooc - can Weoulf read the runes on the axes? (Have write Nordic Runes 21%)

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:09 pm
by imme
Osvauld hardly notices the major damage done to his arm because of the thrill of having truly wounded the Wolf. "Ah, beast, it seems you do have a soft spot after all. And you bleed." Osvauld moves to sink the spear more deeply into the hairy flesh.

strike, parry (70) (1d100=13, 1d100=54)

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:58 pm
by Henrik
Not finding any suitable weapon Orm's eyes again turn towards Odin's spear Gungnir. It is not meant for mortal men and it could probably mean death and madness, but what is there to do? Times are desperate. "Give me strength, Odin, Tyr and Thor!" Orm prays and grabs the spear yet again.

OOC: Of course I want to go for a ride into madness, oh keeper!

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 am
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik searches the room as well as he belts out the notes to the song of Tyr. He sees four bows amongst the hoarde of weapons and ancient treasures.

One leaing on Tyr's sealed tomb. A Black bow carved clean with little markings save scoring of combat. No quiver can be seen.

A second bow carved to resemble a Dragon hanging on the wall near one of the torches sconces. No quiver can be seen

A third bow hangs on the wall as well. Both the bow and quiver are carved from silver and runes can be seen clearly on it's length.

The final bow sits on a pile of gold, half covered in treasure and tied to the strings of a sparkling helm. It looks simple, wrapped in leather with more of a burlap sac for a quiver.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:10 pm
by Piano man
Alrik grabs the fourth bow and quiver. As well he takes the helm and places it on his head.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik stabs out with his spear and finds wolf flesh once more. His spear slashes at the wolf's shoulder as the Fenris wolf decides to lash out with both claws.(choosing not to defend himslef) The centuries old spear spills bloodbefore Osvauld returns it to a more defensive angle.

oc - 7 damage to Fenris wolf. Total 29 damage.

Osvauld can hear the applause of the gods, as if a window to Valhalla had opened high above him and the immortals were watching his every move with eager anticipation.

The Wolf seems to hear it too as he look up. Snarling his resentment the wolf continues his clawed advance on the Viking. Both paws would have found their mark resulting in a killing strike but Osvauld braces his spear and deflect one. The other rakes across his face leaving a long three pronged scar over his eye. His helm is torn in half and falls to the solid stone floor with a clank!

oc - 2 damage to Osvauld's face. Total 10 damage.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:24 pm
by Henrik
Orm shouts:"Let's get a move on!" It seems as the old grizzled viking is getting eager to draw blood.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Weoulf examines the runes writen on the double bladed short axe first. He can't make out much of the rune combinations that often indicate magical power but he does read the words Dwarf and Forged repeating several times in the inscription.

The third more simpler looking axe bears four runes and Weoulf understand their meaning.

Together they form a an idea. The strnegth of will in travellers brings a strong desire for power. It is most definitely a charm of some sort. ( A magical weapon) It's power is still a mystery.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 pm
by mikc
Weoulf takes up the third axe and the shield and prepares for battle.

If I am to die this day, the Bards will sing of Weoulf Skrimgeour and the valiant deeds which secured his place in Valhalla!

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 am
by imme
Osvauld keeps a strong grip on the spear and uses his shoulder to wipe some of the blood from his eye. The claw marks bleed profusely, and quickly that side of his face is covered in blood again. Nevertheless, his clear eye gazes up at the Wolf and he grins. "I told you at the beginning, beast. Regardless of the outcome, this fight will result in my victory and nothing but dripping wounds for you."

strike, parry (70) (1d100=97, 1d100=90) dun dun dun ...

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:36 pm
by Henrik
OOC: Is the door open yet?

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:02 pm
by Piano man
ooc when I closed the door people had until the last line to get in. Can they get out on the first line this time. I'll keep chanting until everyone is out though.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:00 pm
by Henrik
Orm is impatient. He still feels an urge for mead, but it is beginning to get dwarfed by an urge to drink blood. Orm checks the spear he has in hand. Is it sentient? Is this urge to fight the will of the spear? Orm is lost in his own thoughts. And the door keeps opening...

OOC: Orm is waiting for the door to open, preparing mentally or rather trying to find himself again.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:59 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Osvauld's attempt to gode the wolf succeed and Fenrir snaps his jaws tightly around the Viking lieutenant's waist, shaking him in his gaping maw like a chew toy.

As the door to the chamber opens a slight crack after Alrik completes the first line to the song of Tyr, Weoulf is first to look through the narrow opening.

He sees the wolf lift Osvauld's thrashing body high into the air until...

CRACK!

The sound of Osvauld's bones breaking beneath the Fenris Wolf's teeth is horrifying to all who hear it. (12 damage) Their lietenant goes limp in his mouth and the Fenris wolf flashes Weolf a sly grin before dragging Osvauld out of the his view.

ooc- Anyone who wants out has to make a DEX x5 roll to squeeze through the crack. Next round will be easier to squeeze through as the door opens more.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 pm
by mikc
Weoulf can't get through the door, perhaps momentarily unnerved by the sight of the Fenris Wolf and what it has done to Osvauld.

ooc - presumably I block the door for everyone for a round?

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:46 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- yup!

Alrik sings the second verse to the song of Tyr and the door opens a crack further. Weolf, stuck in between the crack of the door, finally frees himself and spills into the temple hall. The Fenris wolf is gone and a trail of blood leads east through the tall stone pillars spaced evenly throughout the temple.

ooc- Listen checks everyone!

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:33 pm
by Henrik
Orm is alert. Where has the wolf gone? He tries to listen for any sounds , but hears nothing.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 pm
by mikc
Weoulf stumbles to his feet and looks around but, apart from the blood trail, sees and hears nothing.

I'm away over the weekend, can post Monday earliest.

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm
by Piano man
Alrik doesn't hear anything, but continues to sing to open the door.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 am
by DSIGFUSS
Berger stays behind with Alrik and holds a golden sword out in front of him. He takes another drink and eyes the bard nervously as he completes his song.

Sigfurd follows closely behind Weoulf with his own shiny shield and and sword. Once out in the temple, he lifts his head and and seems to hear something. He holds out his hand to silence Orm and then suddenly turns and darts to the east shouting.

Osvauld! Osvauld!

The raven caws from high above as it weaves around the pillars.

Osvauld! Osvauld! Osvauld!

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:03 pm
by mikc
Weoulf follows Sigfurd, trying out the weight and balance of his new axe by swinging it back and forth, and calling over his shoulder, "Come on, you laggards! There's glory or a hero's death and Valhalla await us!"

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:47 pm
by Piano man
Alrik pauses outside the door, surprised that the wolf left. Osvauld is dead, we all saw it. We need to find a way out of here, not go after a creature that'll kill us all. If any of you know how to track take a look around and see if you can tell which way the wolf went.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm
by Henrik
"True. This is not a fight for men but gods. Take comfort that Osvauld will sit at Odin's table to night as his honoured guest." Orm is still holding Odin's spear. "But where is the exit from this place?"

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:56 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Weolf and Osvauld charge to the eastern most end of the temple and find an open door. A cold fresh breeze blows down the dark tunnel. Blood speckles the floor around the entrance and becomes thicker in the tunnel itself. Osvauld is bleeding badly unless the Viking severely wounded the Fenris Wolf.

Both Sigfurd and Weoulf then hear a loud pain filled moan coming from further down the dark stone passage.

Sigfurd's eyes widen and he smiles at Weoulf.

Osvauld lives... Come brother! Quickly!

With that, Sigfurd hurries into the tunnel, following the trail of blood left by the Fenris Wolf.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:43 pm
by mikc
Weoulf follows Sigfurd, calling once more over his shoulder, "Get a move on, you lazy pack, or they'll be none of the Wolf left for you!"

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:04 am
by Henrik
"For brave Osvauld!" Orm bellows. Gripped by berserker rage he gives pursuit.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Weolf Orm and Sigfurd all charge down the dark tunnel as Alrik and Beger stay behind in the open treasure chamber. Berger looks at Alrik and begins filling his puches with gold.

The three run for nearly a minute before they see a light at the end of the tunnel. Cold air bites at their lungs as they approcah the exit. It is snowing outside...

As they spill out of the mountainside, they find themsleves standing on a stone path that leads through a series of stone statues and beautifully constructed archways. The blood on the snow leading up the path is bright red and in the light of the morning sun, is easy to follow. As they approach cautiosuly, they notice how high up the mountain they are. Snow covered peaks can be seen off in the distance and from their vantage, they appear above them all.

The three Viking comrades don't have to go far before they find what they are looking for. Near the edge of a cliff the Fenris Wolf waits... one paw on Osvauld's chest, grinding his claws into their lieutenant.

Osvauld moans and the Fenris Wolf turns his head to greet the Vikings.

Foolish Mortals.. I see you come more prepared! Would you give me a moment? It's been centuries since I've had a good meal and this one's still fresh!! Heh Heh Heh!

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:58 am
by mikc
"Our best chance is probably to attack from three sides at once," Weoulf murmurs to his companions, as he begins to approach the Wolf in a roundabout way.

Keeping distance between himself and the creature, he positions himself to its right flank.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16 am
by Henrik
Orm advances towards the left flank, the tip of Gungnir raised towards the wolf in case it would attack.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:55 pm
by Piano man
Alrik snarls at Berger as he takes off after the others. Leave the fucking gold. It'll only weigh you down. We'll come back for it if we can. Now let's go fight.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:42 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd, Orm and Weoulf quickly move into position as the Fenris Wolf drops Osvauld from his jaws. The Viking lieutenant falls to the ground and groans. The wolf puts his back to the cliff face and bears his teeth.

Come at me then Vikings and drink your fill! For the blood of the gods has been spilled this day and I plan on spilling much much more!

The Fenris wolf raises his head and howls at the sun and then takes a defensive stance, growling a low unnatural growl as he lowers his height and crouches; ready to spring.

Berger continues to gather treasure...

Fuck Osvauld... It's his own bloody fault. Stay with me Alrik... we'll be kings!

Berger's voice trails off as Alrik pursues his companions down the tunnel.

ooc- please roll Init 1d10 +DEX, strike (1d100), parry (if you have a shield or a spear) I'll roll damage until your items are properly identified.

Alrik. You will be missing the first round but if you are going to be casting a spell, please ready your components so I know what spell you are casting when you first enter the fray.

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:33 pm
by Henrik
Orm makes himself ready to strike against the giant wolf. It seems as the aesir smiles at him. The viking has never fought with a spear before, but the strike is might and true unless Fenrisulfr can avoid it?

OOC:Initiative, strike, parry (1d10=6, 1d100=1, 1d100=70)

Well, then rolled a total initiative of 20, rolled a 1 on my first strike with Gungnir which should be an impale and missed my parry. But who cares...

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:59 am
by Piano man
With everyone's ears still packed with rags Alrik will sing a song that will calm the wolf.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 am
by mikc
OOC - Initiative, Axe, Parry (1d10, 1d100,1d100=[4], [39], [95]

Initiative = 21, Hit with axe, missed Parry

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:51 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Weolf brings his axe down hard on the wolf's hind leg and finds deep flesh. The Wolf seems distracted by Alrik's pesence and lashes out wildly at Weoulf with his front paws and a viscious looking bite. Weolf bats the paws aside with his shied and the Fenris wolf's massive jaws miss their mark completely. The Fenris Wolf smashes his head against Weoulf's shield and the Viking hears a loud snap as one of the wolf's front teeth cracks in half and falls to the snow.

Then Orm comes in with the mighty Gungnir and runs the creature through. The spear enters through the wolf's under belly as it raises itself for a second charge and comes clear out the monster's backside. The wolf howls like no sound the Vikings had ever heard before and takes a few steps back towards the edge of the cliff, limping as the spear impaled him.

ooc- Orm roll STRx5 to get your spear back.

ooc- Everyone make Listen checks (except Alrik)

ooc- Alrik. Make a sing check. (or equivalent)

Huffing and grunting with the spear still in his belly, the wolf stares right at Alrik and grins, coughing blood onto the snow.

Cough! Cough! A Bard in my house? Cough! My father will be most pleased to know you are here...

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:01 pm
by mikc
ooc- Weoulf makes his listen roll: Listen (61%) (1d100=38)

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 pm
by Henrik
Instead of pullling out the divine spear Orm tries to push it further into the belly of the gigantic wolf, perhaps it is possible to push the beast over the edge of the cliff?

OOC: Pushing the spear into the belly of the wolf. Strength check (1d100=85) That would be a failure.

Listen check (1d100=86) that would also be a failure.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 pm
by mikc
Weoulf braces himself for a further attack then seems to pause in mid-action; he looks about him and cocks his head as if listening for something, then lowers his axe and stands, looking rather confused, a short distance away from the wolf.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Weoulf enters a state of non violence. The Fenris Wolf snaps at him with his powerful jaws. Sigfurd sees his friend in dire trouble and parries the beasts teeth with his new found silver shield.

Move Weoulf! Get in the fight or out of it!

Then the wolf hears Alrik's voice and seems tame for a brief moment. The Fenris Wolf stares blankly at the bard as Orm tries to thrust the mighty Gungnir deeper into his belly. This snaps the wolf out of his trance and he suddenly jerks away from Orm's reach with much more speed than the Fenris wolf had intended to use. Odin's spear loosens from Orm's grip and the Black Wolf and the spear go tumbling over the side of the cliff.

There is a sickening quiet as Alrik completes his spell.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:11 pm
by Piano man
Alrik slaps Orm on the back. Nicely done man. He bends over to see if there is anything left of Osvauld worth saving.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:44 pm
by Henrik
Orm sits down his muscles aching. It seems that the mighty god Thor lent him his strength this day. "I do not think that we killed the wolf, but if anyone have earned their places in the halls of Valhalla today, we did" Orm states. It is not bragging, he is just stating the obvious.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
Alrik sees that the Lieutenant's wounds are fatal. Osvauld's spine is severed and he bleeds freely on the snow. Still he shudders to Alrik's touch and awakens..

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 am
by imme
Osvauld gasps for breath and coughs up a bloody mess. His eyes come to focus on Alrik and he grins, showing his blood-stained teeth. "See if you can figure out a good tune for this tale, eh?" He takes another shuddering breath and manages to twist his head around enough to see the other Vikings. "Orm!" he calls out, and falls to coughing again.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:45 pm
by Henrik
"We will remember you as long as we live. Give Odin our greeting and tell him that we probably will join you soon. We will sing and drink about your bravery. To face Fenrisulfr by yourself. It is a feat of bravery that is worthy the Aesir themselves" Orm tells his friend.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:48 pm
by imme
Osvauld grips his friend's sleeve. "Take your time in joining me. There's still work to be done." He struggles to pull something free from his belt and pauses for a moment in pain. With a last burst of energy he manages to move his arm across his body and pushes a scroll into Orm's hand.

"Remember what the Captain said. Keep this far away from Melkorka, and do not use it unless you must.
But you are honor-bound to finish this task ... or die trying."
With that, Osvauld leans back and prepares to meet Odin.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm
by Piano man
Alrik stands and begins to sing a death chant that will help guide Osvaulds spirit to Valhalla.

The fifth is Glathsheim, | and gold-bright there
Stands Valhalla stretching wide;
And there does Odin | each day choose
The men who have fallen in fight.
Easy is it to know | for him who to Odin
Comes and beholds the hall;
Its rafters are spears, | with shields is it roofed,
On its benches are breastplates strewn.
Easy is it to know | for him who to Odin
Comes and beholds the hall;
There hangs a wolf | by the western door,
And o'er it an eagle hovers.
Small heed didst thou take | to all that I told,
And false were the words of thy friends;
For now the sword | of my friend I see,
That waits all wet with blood.
Thy sword-pierced body | shall Ygg have soon,
For thy life is ended at last;
The maids are hostile; | now Odin behold!
Now come to me if thou canst!

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:35 pm
by mikc
Weoulf stands with head bowed, shamed by his earlier cowardice.

If we hadn't cowered in the vault, perhaps noble Osvauld would live to fight another day! There is indeed much unfinished business to attend to before I can look unflinching intoOsvauld's family's faces ... or my own in the mirror!

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:33 pm
by Henrik
Orm pockets the scroll. "We will succeed and if we survive to tell the tale I will raise a stone in your honour where everyone who can read the runes can witness the bravery of Osvauld."

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:02 am
by DSIGFUSS
As Alrik completes his sweet lament to his fallen lieutenant, Osvauld breathes his last breath. His hand falls limp to the snow and his eyes glaze over as his life leaves him.

A horn blares from the north and all can hear the beating of wings through the night sky.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 am
by Piano man
Alrik looks to the sky, and backs his men up a little. It has to be the Valkyries coming to take Osvauld to Valhalla. Give them room. Alrik glances over at Orm. Right now it's about Osvauld, but you and I need to talk.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:24 pm
by Henrik
Orm nods. "Let's give him weapons to fight with, he will need that as a warrior in Odin's army. If there still is some suitable weapons around, Orm will put it on what is left of Osvauld's chest.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:37 am
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd runs down the tunnel to retrieve Osvauld's sword.

The sound of beating wings echoing through the night air get louder until a lone shape appears over the crest of the mountain. As it descends upon the Vikings they quickly notice it is no winged horse the valkyrie rides, but a massive winged wolf akin to Fenrir himself. The armored wolf lands and the most beautiful woman the Norsemen had ever seen dismounts and approaches Osvauld; a sorrowful look on her flawless face. The Vikings soon discover that the wings do not belong to the wolf but to the Valkyrie. She bends down and closes Osvauld's eyes before standing tall above all the Vikings, her bright feathery wings catching the light of the moon.

Who speaks for Osvauld Wolvesbane?

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:49 pm
by Piano man
Alrik takes a step forward. I will speak for Osvauld.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:46 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Good then... I am Brunhilde... Rarely do I leave the walls of Asgard. Osvauld Wolvesbane's courage so close to the great city beckoned me. So then speaker... What shall I call you so your name shall be heard in the halls of my father.

Brunhilde eyes Alrik sternly and suddenly casts a gentle eye to Orm.

Do I know you Viking?

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:46 pm
by Piano man
Alrik stands up proudly. I am Alrik bard to Odin.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:40 pm
by Henrik
"Not as far as I know fair Brunhilde. My name is Orm, son of Kettil. Perhaps you have met my father? Even though I have no memories of my father it has been said that I'm the spitting image of him."

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:38 am
by DSIGFUSS
Brunhilde bows respectably to Alrik...

Very well then Bard of Odin... Your name will be sung along side Osvauld wolvesbane in the halls of Vahalla.

Brunhilde then turns and looks gently upon Orm.

Orm son of Kettil... hmmm I believe I know your wife Sif..... A beautiful heart. She speaks of you often... and would be proud to know you are serving Odin's interest on Helluland or do I assume to much Viking?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 am
by Henrik
Orm both feels a cold gripping his heart and a warmth on the same time as the valkyrie says the name of his wife. He is silent for a while. "Say that... we will meet each other soon, I can feel it in my bones and that we indeed is doing Odin's work."

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:48 am
by DSIGFUSS
Brunhilde puts his arm on Orm's shoulder and for the first time in months,he can feel the spirit of his wife Sif.

Retrieve the spear and you might just.... Bring it to Odin's hall and your union is assured Orm son of Kettil.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:10 pm
by Henrik
"I'll spit in the face of Hel herself if it would mean that I would see Sif again. I'll retrieve the spear." Orm says.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sif smiles warmly at Orm.

I believe you would Orm.

Just then, Sigfurd returns with Osvauld's sword. He kneels before Brunhilde and presents it to the Valkyrie. She takes it and returns it to the sheath still at Osvauld's side. Brunhilde then turns to regard the survivors of the Fenris Wolf's attack.

Take heart Weoulf... It was not your destiny to die this day. You and your friends have a part to play in this yet. There is an unmistakable aura of change around you and your friend Sigfurd. There are few on this island capable of bearing this burden. Alrik will need you in the end. Of this we are sure.

Brunhilde lifts Osvauld's lifeless corpse with the ease of lifting a child and places him on her wolfen mount. She then turns back to the four Viking standing before her and regards them with sadness or pride... none can be sure. A silence passes between them.

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:21 am
by Piano man
Alrik stands in silence watching the Valkyrie take Osvauld away. Once they are out of sight he turns to Orm. Now we need to talk. Let me see the scroll that Osvauld gave you. If it's something that can stop the witch I need to know. He looks Orm in the eye as he extends his hand. I feel the same way about her as you do....trust me.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:27 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- I'm glad you are talking about the witch and the scroll, but if you want to say anything to Brunhilde before she leaves you are welcome to it. I had her paused for that very reason. But if nobody wants to say anything, then she leaves peacefully with Osvauld on her wolfen mount. Just continue with Alrik's question after that.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:01 pm
by Henrik
When Brunhilde leaves Orm hands Alrik the scroll. "The bearer of the scroll can use it to command the others or we will be facing Odin's judgement. It can not fall in the hands of Melkorka. Captain Gunharr said that she will use it for her own evil purposes. Perhaps it can be used to gain control over Melkorka herself, but I rather stick a sword in her back, cut her eyes out and cut her head and then burn the body. Witches have many lives and a witch like Melkorka surely have more than most." Orm spits. Taking the name of the witch in his mouth has made him feel unclean. "Melkorka is in possession of a scramasax which apparently has the ability to find Odin. The other two witches have in their possession similar saxs with similar abilities. Apparently the scramasaxs can be used to find the other two swords as well. I'd better tell you this since I'm honourbound to find Gungnir and I might not survive the experience. I will see my wife again, even if it means that I will be bringing Ragnarok to the world in the process."

OOC: Editing post since my character knows these things although I have forgotten.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:40 am
by Piano man
Alrik snatches the scroll, turns, and walks a few steps away where he can study it undistracted. He mumbles, barely loud enough to be audible. Melorka you insufferable hag. This is the key to your demise. He clutches the scroll to his chest as he imagines all of the things that he is going to do to her.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 pm
by mikc
Weoulf is still dazed by the beauty of Brunhilde; he hears her voice echoing in his ears - that she should deign to speak to him!

He is a little confused at all the talk of scramasaxes and witches, the events of the last hours - Gungir and the Fenris Wolf, mighty legends coming to life around them.

Encouraged by Brunhilde's kind words, he resolves not to be found wanting again when he is called upon to battle - whoever or whatever the foe should be!

Fortified by his thoughts, he examines the axe and shield in more detail and ponders their origins ...

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The axe and shield look well used. Something tells Weolf that the axe is older still. The runes still shine brightly in the moonlight and as Weoulf focuses on the blade, he can faintly see a Viking man standing on the Rainbow bridge of Asgard holding the axe in one hand and the shield in the other, awaiting an onslaught of Frost Giants.

Hold Frostbane... There will be plenty of time for killing. No need to charge in with a bloodlust fit for savages.

The Giants reach the edge of the bridge and the Viking lets fly his axe, embedding it in one ofthe Giants sloping foreheads. The axe then returns to his hand and he lets it fly again crying.

Frostbane!

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd, adnmiring his own blade turns to the others.

Well then lads! Should we check in on Berger? That drunken lout has most likely desecrated the entire temple of Tyr by now!

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd, admiring his own blade turns to the others.

Well then lads! Should we check in on Berger? That drunken lout has most likely desecrated the entire temple of Tyr by now!

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:32 pm
by Henrik
OOC: I really did not understand where that chasm where Gungnir and Fenrisulfr fell down came from. I seem to have missed it...

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:40 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - the temple of tyr opens out into a garden on the side of a snow covered mountain. It's in this garden where you fought Fenrir and It's a sheer cliff to the bottom. (at least a few hundred feet.) You'd have to make several climbing rolls to scale it. Failure would be disastrous.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:29 am
by Henrik
"I need to get down there" Orm says. "But climbing it will surely be my doom. I must retrieve that spear. Perhaps it is possible to go around it" he says absent-mindedly. The quest for the runes are all but forgotten the only thing that matters to the old viking is to be re-united with his wife who left him so many years ago.

OOC:I look for an alternate route down.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:13 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - The cliff is sheer. You could attempt to climb it but any failed climb roll would result in a deadly fall.

ooc - roll Idea if you are thinking about how to get down.

ooc- What is everone else doing or interested in. Time for a group discussion I think!

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:43 pm
by Piano man
Alrik shakes his head. Let the spear go lad. If you find it you'll surely find the wolf again. Somehow I doubt that fall would have killed such a creature. Let's go back to the room with all of the weapons and look a little closer. There may be magic in there that would astound you.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:04 pm
by Henrik
"I do not think you understood me or the words of the valkyrie. I'm an old man tired of this world. The only consolation I have is the chance that I will meet my wife in Asgard. The valkyrie said that I had to retrieve Odin's Spear to see her again. This world matters not to me." How long had it been since Sif died? Fifteen years, twenty? Orm could not remember. It did not matter, it was to long.

Idea roll (1d100=66)

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:08 am
by Piano man
ooc oops I think I skimmed over the part where the valkrie told Orm that.

Alrik pats Orm on the back. Then we will find the spear and you will be with your wife when you die. You have my word that I will do whatever I can to make that happen. Alrik looks back to the door they came out of and back to the men. We need to go back in there first though. Let's take as many of those weapons in there as we can with us. They are ancient and full of power, and when we meet up with our people we'll arm them and nothing will stand in our way. Alrik sighs before he continues. And then, I'm guessing, we'll have to make our way back down that indomitable flight of stairs again. If anything will take us down there, Alrik points over the cliff as he speaks, that will be it.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:37 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sigfurd joins Alrik in consoling Orm.

Aye lad! We’ll find that spear and return it to the very walls of Asgard if we must. An invitation from such a godly host cannot be ignored.

He looks down the sheer cliff and whistles.

There’s no following the wolf that way my friend. Maybe Alrik is right. Those damn stairs may be our only way out of here.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 pm
by Henrik
Orm grunts. [blue]"I guess you are right. I have waited so long for the release of death and to meet Sif again so I can wait a bit longer. No embrace of another woman, how comely she might be can cure the loss of her though."[/blue]

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Viking retreat back into Tyr's temple to find Berger sitting atop a pile of gold with a sac filled with coin in one hand and gold flaggon of burning alcohol in the other. He smiles and burps, spilling his drink. Everything in the treasure chamber is as it was. Weapons of all shapes and description litter the walls and floor along with an assortment of coin and jewels minus whatever Berger had managed to stuff into a sac while Sigfurd, Orm, Weoulf and Alrik were dealing with the Fenris Wolf.

Did yah kill the wolf lads. Is it safe? BRAP!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 am
by Piano man
Alirk looks at Berger with disgust. You have no honor Berger. You sat here and got drunk and looted the god's temple while we fought for our lives. Osvauld is dead, and you are a louse. He looks to his men and gestures to Berger. If he does not prove himself in our next encounter then run him through and leave him with the rest of the dead. Alirk's fiery gaze slides back to the drunk. Now get up and put that gold back before I change my mind about your second chance. He speaks up now for addressing everyone. Gather weapons for any comrades we meet, but leave the gold. It is the god's and I for one do not wish to anger them.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:45 am
by DSIGFUSS

Prbbbbbblethhhhhh!

Berger takes another swig and throws down his mug.

Allllwright Awright! I'll fight. Me fight! I'm one of the chosen ones you know. Jussht like Sig...Hic! Sigfurd and Weolf.... We're gonna do somethin' ..... big! The pretty lady thinks so tooooooo

Sigfurd eyes the gold.

I don't know Alrik? You think we should just leave the gold. Surely the gods would think it a trophy after what we did today. When I enter the halls of Valhalla it will be with blood on my hands and gold in my pack. Still, you hold the seal and I will follow your judgement til you no longer wield it. Reconsider.....

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 am
by Piano man
Alrik eyes Berger with doubt. Chosen by mistake probably. Turning to Sigfurd he listens and weighs the man's words carefully. The most important thing for us to take here is weapons. Go ahead and take some gold, but don't weigh yourselves down too much. I have a feeling that this is going to be a long and hard journey. If you can take gems they weigh less and are worth more.

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 am
by mikc
Weoulf looks around for a good bow and arrows and a sword to take along.

He also pockets a handful of gemstones, with a silent prayer of thanks to Tyr.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:57 am
by Henrik
"I'm not planning to leave this place living and in Valhalla I will have everything I need. Sif, ale and as much food as I could ever have wanted. A man does not need more than that" Orm says with conviction. "But a proper sword would be handy" he adds.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Please wait and I'll give you a proper inventory of what's in the treasure chamber now that you have time to properly search it.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- OK boys... here is the contents of the treasure room. If you want to spend a great deal of time here. Alrik can figure out what is magical and what isn't. Then you can try to figure out what everything does or even if it does anything. Or you can just grab things you feel might be cool and leave. You have no idea if you are safe. Remember that you will be walking so if you want to take alot of stuff, you will be burdened. Still though... help yourself. Once you've taken your booty and decided what you are doing. (ie researching equipment or carrying on) I'll be moving uyou along to the next Chapter.

Merry Christmas Vikings!

Treasury

Weapons and Armour

Swords (4)
1 inlaid with 3 dark red stones
1 embroidered in cloudy silver
1 covered in shifting runes
1 wrapped in leather straps with two curving fangs atop it’s hilt

Axes (4)
Already described

Throwing Axes (4)
2 nondescript
1 with a dark blue sapphire in the blade
1 light weight with a leather strap and feathers

Hammer (1)

Huscarl (1)
Runes all over the haft

Shields (4)

1 bone
3 metal Viking Shields with long lost family crests on them. (roll Viking Mythos to recognize the crests)

Bow (3)
Already described

Scramasax (5)
Two belts with 2 scramasax on it each containing:
1 large scramasax with an inlaid black stone, 1 small scramasax with an inlaid black stone
1 large scramasax with an inlaid green stone, 1 small scramasax with an inlaid green stone

1 bone scramasax wrapped in white hide with a cloudy white inlaid stone.

Helms (2)

Spears (2)

Great Axe (1)
Huge double bladed battle axe larger than most men could cary. More than 100 lbs.

Gold - Too many gold coins to count

White fur cape with gold trim
Black fur tunic with an ancient family crest
White fur boots
Metal guantlets with stones inlaid in the knuckles
black hide scabbard with ornately carvd golden trim
one pair of bone glasses with a narrow slit down the middle to see through
long brown bushy fur robe.
1 set of purple formal wear. (very expensive and high quality )
Leather boots with spiked soles.
Oily leather boots
Chainmail boots linked with gold fastens
3 wineskins filled with unknown liquids
silk tapestries depicting original works of famous art thought lost.
5 large heavy tomes bound in dark leather
scattered scroll tubes (30 or so) all excellent quality and decorated with gold, silver and fragments of preciosu stones.
a silver cauldron
12 golden goblets of various descriptioons
3 locked chests
1 large humanoid skull dipped in silver and set with emarlads for eyes.
4 rolled woven rugs. with starnds of gold and sivler intermingled in the cloth.
3 gold busts of Tyr
silk ribbon (You already have)
1 drinking horn carved from bone and lined with hide and gold trim
1 oar
1 drinking horn covered in gemstones.
1 set of white hide gloves
100 feet of thick rope
1 golden scepter shaped like the Fenris Wolf with a ruby the shape of a hand set in its mouth
3 crowns
4 banners of long lost kingdoms

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:18 pm
by mikc
Weoulf takes the simple bow with the burlap quiver and arrows, the one tied to the helmet.

He puts the helmet on and straps bow and quiver over his back.

If he judges the weight acceptable, he will also take the sword "embroidered in cloudy silver" for any future companions, unless one of the present company should desire it; if so, he takes no sword.

He will also volunteer to carry the rope.

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:23 am
by Henrik
Orm is interested in the sword with shifting runes. He tries to read them if possible. He also takes a shield.

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:49 pm
by Piano man
ooc Weoulf will have to pick a differnt bow. Alrik already took that bow and quiver before we went after the wolf.

Alrik takes the Huscarl, White fur cape with gold trim, White fur boots, one pair of bone glasses with a narrow slit down the middle to see through, 3 wineskins filled with unknown liquids, 1 drinking horn carved from bone and lined with hide and gold trim, 1 set of white hide gloves, 1 golden scepter shaped like the Fenris Wolf with a ruby the shape of a hand set in its mouth, and as many scroll tubes as he can take without being to encumbered.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 am
by DSIGFUSS
Orm reads the runes shifting on the base of his blade. They appear ancient and as Orm tries to decipher them they change before his eyes into a more modern Viking script. They read....

Hail Viking! I long to spill the cold blood of the giant with you. I will take you to them and then we will soak in their blood. I know these ancient lands and the holes where they hide themsleves. Let me lead you to them.

Sigfurd takes two of the non descript throwing axes and one of the scramasax belts. He tries on the chain boots and is happy with the fit. He drapes the balck fur tunic and picks a shield with a matching picture of an ancient family crest. For treasure Sigfurd takes a small sac full of gold and six of the twelve goblets. He smiles at Orm raising on of them into the air.

We'll drink from these once you retrieve the spear brother.... I promise you!

Berger takes one of the golden goblets and fastens it to his belt, fumbling with the straps in his drunken state. He whispers to himself and smiles as he tucks the silver skull into his pack. Berger fits an awkward looking helm on his over sized head and chooses the sword with three dark red stones set in its hilt. He had already packed an oversized sack with gold coins and various other treasures the group had not yet examined as they were fighting the wolf.

ooc- Weoulf please choose another bow and then we'll be off. Orm you can speak with your sword or sheath it.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 pm
by mikc
Weoulf takes the first bow, the simple black one.

No need to attract undue attention with flashy magical weapons.