IC: Scene 10 - Arkham Historical Society

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

IC: Scene 10 - Arkham Historical Society

Post by amarriner »

Arkham Historical Society
Tuesday June 7th 1927, 2:00pm

After paying for their meals, the group piles into Albert's Ford and heads south across town to the Historical Society. The cross over the Miskatonic on the way. The beautifully restored Pingree-Baldwin House sits at 531 South Garrison Street--between Pickman and High Streets--and houses the Society. Everyone gets out of the car and heads into the mansion which opens up into a large hall. Seated in the hall behind a desk is a middle-aged woman who introduces herself as Janice Putnam, receptionist. She smiles and says, Good afternoon! How can I help you fine folks? If you're just visiting or new to Arkham, I'd be happy to show you around the ground floor as there are many interesting historical artifacts related to our great town housed here.

I'll get a mark on the map for the society in a couple of minutes. You'll probably find that the Society, like the Sanitarium, will be a place you might be visiting more than once ... :)
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Re: IC: Scene 10 - Arkham Historical Society

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch leans over to Gregory and whispers I'll be back. I need to spend a penny. he turns to the secretary. Excuse me, can you point me in the direction of the men's room?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Certainly, Janice says, it's right down that way. She points to a small dead-end hallway just off the main hall. As Arch walks into it, he sees a small window looking out to a building next door and he sees two entryways to a washroom, one for both genders.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Good afternoon! How can I help you fine folks? If you're just visiting or new to Arkham, I'd be happy to show you around the ground floor as there are many interesting historical artifacts related to our great town housed here.
Hello Mrs. Putnam, we were wondering if we could see Mr. Peabody.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

As Arch heads over to the small hallway, he scopes the place out, looking for anything out of the ordinary. When he reaches the men's room, he enters.

OOC: I'm just going to do my business, then return to the party, unless something important happens in the restroom. ;)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Arch wanders down the short hallway and into the restroom. Nothing in particular seems out of place or odd. The old mansion floorboards creek a little, but otherwise all's normal.
Hello Mrs. Putnam, we were wondering if we could see Mr. Peabody.
Oh let me see if I can catch him, Janice says. He was just about to head out I think, but I believe he's still here. One moment, please. Feel free to view our wonderful exhibits while you wait. With that she's off into the recesses of the mansion. The group wiles the time away just drifting around the main hall and into some of the adjoining rooms. Things like Arkham's first iron pump handle are on display as well as deeds, maps, and land grants which adorn the walls of every room.

Presently, Janice returns with an older man in tow. He wears glasses and a bowtie and introduces himself as E. Lapham Peabody. Pleased to make your acquaintance. We always welcome new visitors. Especially potential donors, he says with a wry smile. I'm sorry I can't spend too much time with you today as I'm on my way out, but perhaps I have time for a question or two before I leave? If we determine you require something that takes more time I should be able to accommodate you tomorrow. At any rate, what can I do for you fine folks?
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch heads back into the main hallway from the restroom. As he approaches the group he notices another man talking to them. Assuming this is their guy, he steps back into the group and listens in.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch stands waiting in the group admist the awkward silence. So!...Mr. Peabody, I presume?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by zielonobrody »

OOC: Nice previous post :) Sorry, I was away at a convention at Cthulhu Night. my team won the Arkham Horror tourney :) Might I add that we were the only team participating :D

Donald Lutherhagen
Pleased to meet you Mr. Peabody. I'm Donald Lutherhagen. These gentlemen are Dr. Winston, Mr. Ackland and Mr. Atkinson. We were wondering if you could tell us anything unusual about the broken down bridge just out of town. May we sit down somewhere? It's silly standing around here like that. Did I forget anyone? Who else is with us?
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
zielonobrody wrote:Donald Lutherhagen
Pleased to meet you Mr. Peabody. I'm Donald Lutherhagen. These gentlemen are Dr. Winston, Mr. Ackland and Mr. Atkinson. We were wondering if you could tell us anything unusual about the broken down bridge just out of town. May we sit down somewhere? It's silly standing around here like that.
Gregory quickly adds: Peck from the Gazette referred us to you, he said nobody knows more about Arkham than you. Doesn't hurt to lightly stroke his ego, after all.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:Gregory Atkinson
zielonobrody wrote:Donald Lutherhagen
Pleased to meet you Mr. Peabody. I'm Donald Lutherhagen. These gentlemen are Dr. Winston, Mr. Ackland and Mr. Atkinson. We were wondering if you could tell us anything unusual about the broken down bridge just out of town. May we sit down somewhere? It's silly standing around here like that.
Gregory quickly adds: Peck from the Gazette referred us to you, he said nobody knows more about Arkham than you. Doesn't hurt to lightly stroke his ego, after all.
Ah, Peck, yes. He and I have collaborated several times on articles for a while now. Good man. A bit overambitious, perhaps, but still from good stock.

Anyhow, you were asking about the bridge? I'm assuming you mean the one out on Bowen Road? It's funny you mention that as I just wrote a story about it for the Advertiser about a month ago--Peck was furious at me for publishing it with his rival, by the way. I'm sure there's a copy around here somewhere. Unfortunately, I do have to run to an appointment, but Janice here can retrieve it for you. As I've mentioned I will be here all dat tomorrow if you feel you need further assistance.

Thank you for stopping by, gentlemen. Janice, would you please get the article on Bishop's Bridge for these fellows? I'm off, good day.

Mrs. Putnam says good bye to Peabody and excuses herself from the group to get the article. She heads upstairs to the second floor and is only gone for five minutes or so before returning with a small piece of paper. Our archives and library are upstairs. The public is free to use them for a small fee, or of course you could join the Society and use all our resources for free! At any rate, Mr. Peabody said you could have this, so here you are. As he mentioned, he'll be back tomorrow if you need to consult with him any more or if you'd like to do some more research at the Society.

She hands them the piece of paper. On it is a short article:
Arkham Advertiser wrote:Bishop's Bridge Burns
The covered bridge that once crossed the
Miskatonic four miles upriver is no more. In the last
week's thunderstorms, the aging structure was struck
by lightning which burned the roof and most of the
decking and timbers.

Thought to have been built around 1750, only the
central stone support and the approaches now exist. The
Sheriff has closed the road.

Originally Bowen's Bridge, after the prosperous
farmer who built it, folks later began calling it Bishop's
Bridge.

Locals say that the bridge has attracted lightning
strikes. The structure had lately grown so decrepit that
the County closed it to horses and wagons.
There is visible from the south side of the river a
symbol decorating the stone of the still-standing central
support, of unknown meaning and origin.

Little needed these days, the bridge probably will not
be rebuilt.

EMINENT ARKHAMITES
A Continuing Series by E.
Lapham Peabody

Sermon Bishop, Wizard
In the mid-18th century, Sermon Bishop was rumored
a witch and thought to be responsible for misfortunes
suffered by farmers west of Arkham. Other, darker words
were whispered of him, but never aloud.

Elihu Phillips, a neighbor, frequently argued with
Bishop. When Phillips' daughter was born with a twisted
leg, the farmers were sure Bishop was responsible. One
night, as Bishop returned from a visit to Dunwich, Phillips
and six other men captured him and bound him, and hung
with a magical sigil round his head.

Bishop, they said, had used a terrible book to treat
with a great demon, dealings that left the wizard's body
bent and crippled. In compensation, Bishop could not die.
Rendered helpless by the sigil, the seven carried
Bishop north to the Miskatonic, and there cemented him
into the hollow of a stone bridge support while the bridge
was under construction. They marked the stone support
with the same sign which bound Bishop, hoping thereby
to imprison the wizard forever.

Although the wizard's seven enemies were among
those the sheriff questioned, no one was ever charged.
The wooden roof and walls of the bridge fell into
disrepair in the later 19th century. In 1901 a powerful
lightning bolt struck and burned both spans, and the
bridge was never rebuilt. Only the foundations and the
central support remain, a few miles west of town. The
sign, as folks indicate, is chiselled into the stone of the
central support, and can be seen today, keeping us all
safe from this wizard!

My particular thanks to Mrs. Nina Williams Hope of
Arkham, who supplied information important to my tale.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch carefully reads over the articles. What a load of codswallop Good bed time story...Do you guys know what symbol they are referring to? I don't remember seeing any down in that area.

I assume Arch would have previously investigated the campsite area since he was interested in the boys story.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen

Thank you madam. he says taking the paper from the ladys hand. He reads it silently.

BENT AND CRIPPLED! Donald exclaims as he reads the second article. He realises that he's making a rucous and settles his tone down a little.
That sounds like our old man from the Sanitarium! I think we should go there right now and show this article to the doctor. Although he doesn't believe in magic this is clearly visible to him and he doesn't think twice about the absurdity of the situation. Book... he mumbles thinking...
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

TakeSolo wrote:I assume Arch would have previously investigated the campsite area since he was interested in the boys story.

OOC
Sure, definitely. Most likely there to get shots for the paper.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Not having seen the old man, Arch stands a bit a stunned. He scratches his head at Donald. He let's out a nervous laugh - Wait, you don't actually think...
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Think it? Yes... I'd rather it wasn't true though. It just popped into my head as soon as I remembered. You could say my mind exploded with the thought... I think I'm gonna have a headache...
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Wide-eyed, Arch lets out a sigh and tips his hat back. You've got to be kidding me...
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

Now wait, just because there was an old man there a couple of hundred years ago doesn't in any way imply this is the same one. I think we're jumping to a unreasonable conclusion because of the shocking things we've seen.

I'm still on board with looking into bootleggers and bad bathtub gin. I'd rather see if the doc at the San has found any liver damage or other alcohol related symptoms than bother him with flights of fancy.

Sorry, Gregory hasn't seen anything that would make him take this leap. :)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:Sorry, Gregory hasn't seen anything that would make him take this leap. :)
Every group's gotta have their "by the books" guy ... :)
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote:Every group's gotta have their "by the books" guy ... :)

Hey, if I wanted to run off madly into the fight I'd spend the 6 grand or whatever to upgrade to DnD 4.0! I'm here to role play (and, as it turns out, continue my tradition of annoying Keepers/DMs/GMs by not jumping on the railroad). :twisted:
I'd like to point out that we are already one day in a Cthulhu game and nobody has actually died or gone completely insane yet. I'm all for the cautious approach. Let one of the believing PCs convince the skeptical ones.

Return to “The Condemned”