Page 1 of 1

IC: Chapter One - September At Last

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:38 pm
by Raiko
Chapter One - September At Last

During the dead of night on 31st August the SS Gabrielle slips quietly into port, the media attention of Lawrence’s attack and suicide has eventually died down, allowing the team of explorers a couple of days of relative peace to get to know each other, but now the serious work begins.

The last few expedition members are due to arrive in New York today, most though attended the formal dinner and are already settled in at the Amherst hotel. Each finds a similar handwritten note pushed under their hotel room door when they awake on the first day of September.

Please be so good as to join us at the ship as soon as you are ready, she arrived last night – plenty of work to be done!

SS Gabrielle, Pier 74-B, 12th Avenue at 34th, next to the Italian Royal Mail berth.

Regards,

Moore.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am
by Henrik
Olof read the note and smiled. "Finally" he said to himself put the note in his pocket and began packing his bags.

"I guess I can have them sent for" he thought and decided against carrying them to the ship. He dressed simply ready to do some work. He then opened the door to the room and locked it behind him. He was very eager to see the ship for the first time.

Getting ready

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:47 pm
by Steerpike
After the brief trip to the gun shop, McRaven and his three companions had decided to leave the matter for now. But over the next couple of days, it weighed heavily on Mcravens mind.

When the note came through, the preparations helped him focus on something else. He packed his things and put on the labels for the Hotel to forward them to the dock. He then got dressed and checked himself out.

Hailing a cab, he gives directions to the dock.

Things are happening and McRaven decides to put the last couple of days behind behind him and concentrate on the job at hand. As the cab makes it wasy through the streets of New York, he drawing up a check list of things he needs to do.

He's decided to needs to oversee the loading of the aircraft and wants a much closer look at the birds, that he and the other pilots are going to fly.
Mcraven also glances through some of the books he read on flying in extreme weather conditions and wonders if they are going to need to order any new equipment for the planes...

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:39 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum spends the remaining days in New York checking over his Polar equipment and climbing gear. He uses his time in the evenings to further aquaint himself with Peter Sykes and the Sorensen brothers, swapping notes, storys and the like.

Once the note arrives, he call the hotel desk to arrange some one to take his equipment crates down to the ship, and makes his way, by taxi cab, down Pier 74B .

"Gotta get there nice and early. I want a decent room. " The burly Scot chuckles to himself.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:55 pm
by OrionUK
James sends his last few telegrams and has his final telephone conversations with friends & family before leaving for the pier, the day after the note arrives, as he wants to get going as soon as possible as his anticipation is starting to mount.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:01 am
by Decrepit
His editor was most unhappy with him, but Jack at this point wasn't overly concerned. The Arkham trip, which his paper had paid for, had been a bust, he reported back. Patterson'd wanted to know everything, of course; editors were nosy as hell about things like that, especially when dollars and cents were involved--and he'd wanted receipts, curse him.

Still, what was Jack going to say? He'd said that Pabodie was nowhere to be found, of course, but he kept the bits about McTighe to himself. At one point in his life, Jack would've played up the fellow's near-rantings--on the front page, if he could've gotten play there--but, instead, he decided to keep it to himself (and his companions, of course). What would be gained by smearing McTighe, anyway? Clearly, the man was rattled, frayed. Besides, something about his insistence had gotten under Jack's skin. "Mountains of Madness."

Jack'd gotten so maudlin that, once back in New York, he'd even tried calling up his ex-wives in what they quickly informed him was a misguided effort to set things straight, and what was he really up to anyway, and where was the check? His son, Tobias, wouldn't even go a round or two with him in the ring of emotional blackmail; he'd just hung up. Jack, still smarting, decided to set down a few things in letters to all three of them, to be opened in the event of ... well, whatever. It wouldn't do any damn good, but there it was. He had no name to leave them, no money either really; all he had were some words.

After one night alone with a bottle--he'd heard Prohibition was going to end soon, enforcement was toothless, and a smart man had always known where to find it--Jack pulled himself together, if barely. There was a job to do; he still had that, anyway, at least for now. There might be time to file that long-delayed story about Kitt, if she hadn't disappeared again. There were new people to get to know and profile--filler for the Sunday paper, probably. And he wouldn't mind pigeonholing Moore at some point. That man knew more than he was telling, no doubt about it.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:41 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves is relieved to hear that the ship has arrived and decides to move into his cabin right away to get away from the media scrum of the hotel.
He packs his personal and medical belongings and gets a cab to the dock.

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:55 pm
by Raiko
Pier 74, Hudson River Dockyards, New York City
1st September 1933

It only takes a few minutes for each investigator to make the thirteen block journey from the Amherst Hotel to the SS Gabreille’s berth by the Hudson River.

The Hudson River docks are a place of constant motion. Smells of sea water, oil, fish, and damp wood are mixed with the sweat of the stevedores, and fill the air. Dozens of ships of all sizes and descriptions are tied up here, in various stages of loading or unloading. Huge cranes swing heavy loads overhead, and the ground is littered with cast-off packing materials, broken glass, and bits of metal. Investigators are bumped into and sworn at by the stevedores, who stride off without looking back. It takes nimble footwork to avoid being knocked over or shouted at by one of the dockhands.

Tied up on the north side of Pier 74 along the Hudson River shores of New York City is the Gabrielle, its bow facing out. On the south side of the pier, the brightly lit and well-maintained facilities of the Italian Royal Mail Line make the expedition's berth seem shabby and unimportant.

SS Gabrielle at port

Each taxi pulls up at the foot of West 34th Street, as each investigator steps out of their cab and glances across Twelfth Avenue to the pier shed front, they spot an overweight Port Authority guard standing outside his small office.

A small sign has been stenciled and nailed up near one of the two large doors.
STARKWEATHER – MOORE
ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION
PLEASE CHECK IN WITH GUARD
NO SMOKING

Louis Laroche arrives at the same time as a couple of the investigators, he curses loudly when he reads the sign, evidently he hasn’t broken the habit just yet.

The guard is holding a large clipboard and is obviously filled with self importance on this special day.

Much to the dismay of Professor Graves a small group of tabloid reporters also stand nearby, they photograph each expedition member as they cross 12th Avenue towards the obese guard.

“Hey Sir! Care to spend a couple of minutes giving a quote! She’s an impressive ship you must be very excited.”

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:28 am
by Raiko
The guard carefully checks each investigator’s name against those in his clipboard, once he’s confirmed their identity each person is told, “go on in, bud."

The pier extends six hundred feet into the river, and is eighty feet wide. A long narrow shed runs down the center of the pier, fifty feet wide and thirty feet high in the center. A railway track runs along each side of the pier between the shed and the water. Boxcars stand here and there on the tracks next to large open doors. Glancing through the open doors the investigators see that the shed's interior is piled high with cargo-boxes, bales, drums, and pallets. Crews of stevedores stream up and down ramps between the boxcars and the shed, shifting cargo into the interior or moving it onto pallets and nets to be lifted upwards into the Gabrielle's holds. The ship's cargo booms labor overhead to shift cargo into the Gabrielle's holds.

Climbing the gangway up to the deck, and dodging various maritime types who all seem to be in a hurry to go up or down the gangway, the investigators are met at the deck by a member of the crew. He directs them to the officer’s mess, “through that door, then turn right and follow the corridor. The door to the mess is labeled so you can’t miss it.”

Professor Moore is in the ship's mess hall, standing by a table covered with papers, clipboard in one hand, conferring with one of the cargo masters. He greets the investigators warmly, but with a distracted air, and gestures to his lists.

“Ah! You've arrived! Capital! Good to have you aboard. There's a lot to do, of course, so we'd best get started. Have you eaten? Sandwiches and coffee are on the table over there.”

He points to a small table against one wall that us indeed piled high with sandwiches, as well as a large steaming pot of strong coffee.

“Take what you like, and go see Mr. Sykes in the crew's mess, he’ll be arranging your cold weather gear for you. Back through that door and down the hall. The crew’s mess is at the far end.”

“Oh yes-one more thing. From now on, we will all meet each morning at eight o'clock, in the Rose Room at the Amherst. If I don't see you again today, I trust I'll see you there.”

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:54 pm
by Henrik
"Cold weather gear. This should be interesting" Olof thinks as he walks towards the mess and Mr. Sykes.

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:08 am
by Raiko
In the Officer’s Mess:
Moore calls Graves to one side as some the other expedition members are heading back to meet Sykes, “Professor, I have need of your services I’m afraid. You can be measured for your cold weather gear later.”

“Each expedition member will require a medical examination immediately after they have been measured. Doctor Michaels has already started, he looked a little surprised when I roused him at four this morning.”

“He’s in a cabin adjoining the crew’s mess, I didn’t bother rousing you as I knew he’d manage the early risers, but now that you’re here you’d best go and join him. There are a lot of chaps to examine this morning.”

In the Crew’s Mess:
There is already a short queue of explorers waiting to see Sykes in the crews mess. The polar explorer stands in the middle of the room surrounded by a large number of chests, racks, and open boxes - all packed full of arctic clothing.

Sykes has already met most of the investigators, and he greets each one warmly as they reach the end of the queue. He spends several minutes with each person, firstly measuring them thoroughly: height, weight, waist, chest, collar, inseam, shoe size, hat size, glove size, and anything else that he feels is appropriate. He carefully writes down each measurement in a small black bound leather book

Then after the measurements are taken, each explorer is given a quick instruction on , the use of each of the many pieces of clothing: liners, boots, gloves, trousers, parka, hoods, and overalls - in total more than fifteen pounds of clothes. Each explorer is asked to try on some for size while he begins measuring the next person in line, “Another day or two,” adds Sykes, “and we'll have a kit for each of you. The ski shoes and gloves haven't arrived yet, but they should be here by the end of the week.”

“Ok, if you’d be so good now as to step into that cabin for your medical examination, and then once that's over with you need to go into that other cabin for your photograph.”

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:20 pm
by Charles Graves
As requested Graves goes to assist Dr Michaels with the examinations, quietly relieved that he hadn't been awoken at such an early hour.

routine

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:23 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven stands in line for the exam. He's been here before, albeit some 20 odd years ago, but it's all part routine.

Stand in line, hurry up and wait. Breath in, breath out, Breath in and hold your breath...breath out. Testing eyes, testing reflexes, taking blood, taking piss and when it's all over, you walk out and another walks in.

Somewhere around the door was your dignity, the first thing you always lose. Remembering to pick it up, you smile bravely at te next victim and head next door for the camera.

It's almost over now

*FLASH*

"Thats a keeper, Mr McRaven Sir, you're done"

With that McRaven heads out back in the room where the coffee and sandwiches are hiding out. He then corners the Prof, and between bites, inquires as to the status of the birds and the need for him to check things out.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:20 am
by Raiko
By the time the expedition team members start filing back into the officer’s mess to partake in the coffee and sandwiches Professor Moore has affixed a large notice to the wall giving the cabin allocation for the expedition.
CABIN ASSIGNMENTS - MIDSHIPS

Cabin 11: Cpt. J.Starkweather; Prof W.Moore

Cabin 12: Miss Kitt Knight

Cabin 13: Prof W.Griffith; Prof M.Bryce; Prof C.Myers

Cabin 14: Prof P.Albemarle; Prof C.Graves; James Seymour

Cabin 15: Peter Sykes; Gunnar & Nils Sorensen

Cabin 16: Dr. C.Michaels, Olof Eriksson ; Jack Wilson

Cabin 17: Dougas Halperin; Ralph Dewitt; William McRaven

Cabin 18: Isutag Amaruq; Callum McDonald; William Turner

CABIN ASSIGNMENTS - AFTCASTLE

OOC: I’ll allocate this later tonight, as no PC’s are bunked here

“Ok chaps, you can fetch your personal gear to store in your cabins as soon as you like. Just remember to have everything aboard – including yourselves – by the fourteenth!”

“First Officer Turlow here has asked me to make sure that you all know that any firearms that you bring aboard must be handed over to him for storage in the Bosun’s Stores, they will be locked up and returned to you when we reach the ice.”

“It’s also my duty to remind you all, particularly the non-US members of the expedition, that this is an American flagged vessel, and so it operates under the rules of prohibition. There will be no alcohol brought on board – under any circumstances. Captain Starkweather is extremely anxious that we do not attract any more bad press. Especially after the incident with Lawrence, so we don’t want to be accused of prohibition-busting.”

He laughs, “Having said that, Professor Graves will be entrusted with a locked crate of liquor – for medicinal purposes only. I’m sure that you’ll all agree that we’ll be in need of a Medicinal Celebration when we make our first camp!”

"Does anyone have any questions? Your dentist's appoinments don't start for a couple hours, so you can do what you like until then, Officer Turlow has arranged for those people who are interested to have a quick tour of the ship."

When McRaven enquires about the aircraft, Moore replies, "Ah yes, of course you'd want to see the planes. I'm afraid they won't be arriving for a few days yet, but never fear - you and the other pilots and engineers will be travelling to Skillman Airport in New Jersey tomorrow to check them out, and give them each a test flight. They'll be brought by train to the ship later."

"Isugtag, could I have a word with you in private before you leave?"

First Officer Paul Turlow

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:20 am
by Mister Juan
Since he had arrived aboard, Isugtag had, as usual, done very little talking. The procedures they were all facing weren’t particularly new to him. Actually, they reminded him of his youth. They reminded him of what he had gone through before embarking on a transport ship in Halifax, bound for London, almost 20 years ago. Difference was that, this time around, he wouldn’t have to share sleeping quarters with a whole platoon. Well… that and he wouldn’t have to sleep in trenches when he got off the boat. And he wouldn’t have to duck machine gun fire. And he wouldn’t have to use the bodies of his dead friends as cover. And a lot more things.

Isugtag had almost declined the offer of “custom made” winter gear. Fact was, beside skis, he had brought all of his own things. He hadn’t considered the fact that such gear would be procured for him. Fact was, he was much more comfortable using his own winter equipment, which he had mostly fashioned himself, than something that might end up being made by a fellow who had never seen snow.

The big Inuit stood leaning against one of the walls of the room, absent-mindedly chewing on the end of his unlit pipe. He felt mildly useless in such an urban environment. He had been contemplating the idea of offering his services to load crates aboard the vessel when Moore spoke up.

When the professor made mention of firearms, Grey Wolf was suddenly reminded of Enfield revolver that was stuck in his belt, under his rough tweet shirt. Since the “Lawrence incident”… and since he had been made Sergeant-at-Arms, the ex soldier had taken his new duty very seriously. As far as he was concerned, it was now his job not only to ensure everyone’s survival against the harsh weather of the south pole, but also against any physical harm. Even though carrying a loaded firearm was probably frowned upon, Isugtag had sworn himself not to be caught off guard anymore. With Lawrence, he had been lucky: the man was demented and probably distracted by things only he could see.

When Moore approached him, Isugtag slipped his pipe into one of his pocket.

“Yes sir.” he said in a sharp tone, almost standing at attention.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves wanders over to introduce himself to Turlow. "I have my old service revolver in one of my cases, I'll hand it over for your safe-keeping when I unpack. I'd also like to sign myself up for your tour of the ship, it's been quite some time since I was on board a vessel as large as this."

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:31 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum goes along for his medical exam, but declines the polar gear provided by the expedition.

"I've spent a bloody fortune buying my own gear over the years, and I feel more comfortable using that. But thank you anyway."

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:23 am
by Henrik
"We seem to be sharing the same cabin, doctor." Olof turned to Dr. Michaels. "If you need help with anything, just ask. I don't know much about medicine, but I guess I got strong arms and a good back, so I could carry any crates containing medical supplies and such." The engineer smiled.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 pm
by OrionUK
James completes his medical and makes his way over to Turlow "I have a couple of shotguns & shells to hand over when I bring the rest of my gear from the hotel" he then takes his supplies to the cabin to stow for the time being.

"I am heading back to the hotel in about 20 minutes if anyone wants tro share the cab back?" James states in general to save the trouble of everyone having to wait for individual cabs.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:11 am
by Raiko
Callum:
Sykes’ replies with a laugh, "That’s up to you Callum, you know your stuff and I trust your judgement, but why not take a set of our gear as well?”

“It’s free…”

“…and one or two items may turn out to be better than your gear, no offence intended.”

Graves & James:
First officer Turlow shakes each investigator's hand, "That’s fine turn your firearms over as soon as you’re ready, I’ll make sure that they are carefully labelled and secured in the stores."

“I’ll give you a short tour in a minute.” He looks at James, “It won’t take long so you’ll still make your taxi, the ship isn’t too busy yet, much of the expedition supplies are still arriving.”

Everyone:
SS Gabrielle – Ship Tour
12:30pm – Friday 1st September, 1933

Turlow spents twenty minutes taking anybody who is interested around the Gabrielle, he keeps his tour mostly to the midships area, showing his guests the passenger cabins and galley, before taking them down some metal steps onto a gallery overlooking the ships engine room, the massive steam engine and the twin boilers sitting quietly for the moment.

Isugtag joins the tour a little later than the others, having had a quiet conversation with Moore in his cabin when the other explorers had departed.

After leaving the engine room, Turlow leads the explorers up two decks above the messes, through the boat deck, to the bridge deck. From the bridge, dominated by it’s large wheel and compass binnacle, the explorers have a clear view of the forward holds. Although Turlow said that the ship isn’t very busy at the moment, the Gabrielle’s cargo cranes are in constant motion, and the cargo areas clearly aren’t a sensible place for a large sightseeing party.

Once the tour is complete the explorers file back off the Gabrielle onto the docks, Moore makes sure that each member of the team knows the address of the dental practice in downtown Manhattan, where he has arranged a mass-checkup, He tells them that apart from the dental appointment there is no more expedition business until the eight o’clock meeting in the Rose Room the following morning, “Enjoy the free time, it may be the last that you’ll get!”

Downtown Manhattan – Dr Mitchell – Dental Surgeon
4:30pm – Friday 1st September, 1933

Fortunately none of the investigators are in need of dental work, although a few of the other members of the expedition are asked to return to Dr Mitchell’s practice at over the following week for filling or extractions.

As each investigator leaves walks back out onto the bustling streets of downtown New-York, they wonder how to best spent their last evening of “freedom,” Moore seemd to be serious when he said there’d be no more free time.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:39 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Well if this is going to be our 'Last Night of Freedom', I say lets drink our way into captivity. There must be somewhere we can get some good, hard liquor from."

"I make some discreet enquiries. One of these dock workers must know something."

Callum strides over to a group of locals, subtely offering a $10 bill for the location of a bar.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:34 pm
by Decrepit
"Just as long as someone keeps me from getting married again if we run into any women," Jack quips. "That's how that happened the last two times."

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:50 pm
by Raiko
Using the $10 bill Callum has no problem extracting the locations of several nearby speakeasies from the grateful New-Yorker, if anything prohibition seems to have increased the number of bars and clubs in Manhattan, even here in the heart of the downtown district.

Callum and Jack are joined in their Last Night of Freedom by the Sorensen brothers, who Callum has got to know well since the violent formal dinner. The two ghostly pale Norwegians are excellent companions despite the older brother’s total lack of humour (exasperated even more today, as he has learnt that he requires two fillings before departure).

Nil’s much more companionable younger brother Gunnar more than makes up for the older Sorensen’s brooding presence, and together they are good company. It is also obvious that they are both extremely competent and experienced polar explorers; clearly the expedition will be in good hands when it reaches the ice.

When the four explorers arrive very late back at the Amherst, very are all in excellent spirits, even Nils seems merrier after several strong drinks.

And Jack seems to have avoided marriage, for now.

OOC: I’m writing a post for the following morning now, will post again soon.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:07 pm
by Raiko
The Rose Room, Amherst Hotel - New York
08:00am - Saturday 2nd September, 1933

The entire expedition party meets the next morning, September 2nd, at eight o'clock in the Amherst Hotel's Rose Room. Although most of the expedition members attended the formal dinner, this is the first time everyone has actually been in one place at one time. Several long tables are laid out, with breakfast steaming on a buffet sideboard. Pots of cold water, hot coffee, juice, and tea fixings are available. A large chalkboard stands at the front of the room.

Starkweather and Moore arrive a few minutes after eight.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:12 pm
by Decrepit
An unkempt Jack sits mournfully slouched in his seat, head cradled in hands, dreading the onrush of Moore and Starkweather's words.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:33 am
by Henrik
Olof appreciates the large breakfast buffet and eats with good appetite. Who knows when he will be dining as good as this next time?

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:40 pm
by Ghost_1971
Oh god. My aching head!

Callum slowly downs his third coffee of the morning and tucks into his fried breakfast.

At least the food's good. Should take a bit of the edge off the boring meeting.

bacon, eggs & flight manuals for breakfast

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:03 am
by Steerpike
McRaven looks up from breakfast as some of the revellers came in. Chuckling to himself, he continues to finishes his breakfast and pours over some technical specs for the boeing 247

James Starkweather's Presentation

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:55 pm
by Raiko
It takes Starkweather an age to get from the Rose Room’s entrance to the chalkboard, it seems he wants to greet each expedition member personally with a firm handshake and plenty of back-slapping. The famous explorer has been noticeably absent for much of the time, since his friend Lawrence met his tragic end, and quite subdued even when he was around.

The arrival of the SS Gabrielle seems to have ended that though. The Starkweather of old is back: loud, confident and full of infectious, though pompous enthusiasm; he seems to be positively buoyed the arrival of the expedition’s ship, and keen to get things back onto track. Starkweather is particularly full of enthusiasm when he greets Isugtag, McRaven, and each of the two doctors, “Excellent show! Without you sir, I’m sure that this expedition would have been doomed from the beginning!”

There is considerably less feeling in his greeting of Kitt, although he is still typically polite, “That was delightfully quick thinking of you my dear, though I imagine that you must need that, when you’re up there in your little aeroplane.”

By the time the leader eventually makes it to the front the room is buzzing, Starkweather’s bubbly mixture of gung-ho arrogance, having rubbed off on everyone.

“Gentlemen! And our good lady Miss Knight of course, finally after all these long months of planning and preparation, the time of departure is almost upon us.”

“In less then two weeks we shall set sail from this great city upon our fantastic odyssey, and into the history books we will go – alongside heroes such as Amundsen and Scott…”

Starkweather’s talk goes on to last for just over thirty minutes in all. He is like an excited child talking about a prized new toy throughout. The presentation is similar to the one that he gave at the ill-fated formal dinner, but with much more detail as he discusses the route of the Gabrielle, and also the expedition's plans once they reach the ice. Making extensive use if the large chalkboard, he enthuses greatly over the cutting edge technology that will be used by the expedition, and also the tremendous array of knowledge and experience that “this great and illustrious team bring with you.”

Shortly before he runs out of superlatives to use, Starkweather is joined at the front of the room by Professor Moore, clipboard and a large pile of maps in hand.

Starkweather nods to his friend then says, “Before Professor Moore takes over, I’d like to introduce you all to our new photographer.” Starkweather points to a gentleman sat at one of the tables, “William Turner as some of you will know, had to return home to England unexpectedly, due to a death in the family. But we are lucky enough to be joined by Sean Mcphearson, an award winning photographer who’s work has graced the pages of both the New York Times, and the National Geographic magazine amongst other places.”

“I’m sure that you will all make him feel at home, Mr Mcphearson has joined us at very short notice, for which he has my everlasting gratitude.”

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:56 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean nervously forced a smile as he looked around at the attending members. He was flattered to be introduced so highly for his past successes, however it had been nearly 2 years since Sean had any major work.

"I'm honored to be here"

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:59 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Welcome to the 'Circus' Sean." quips Callum. "I'll look forward to seeing your work."

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:24 pm
by OrionUK
James is slowley sipping his rather weak tea, after Starkweather has finished his talk and introduction of the new team member James goes over to shake Sean's hand and wish him a warm welcome.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:37 am
by Decrepit
"So, Sean," Jack says wrily, and without any but the barest trace of professional territorialness, "are you working fo the expedition or for one of my rivals?"

Moore's Speech

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm
by Raiko
Starkweather moves to one of the tables and sits himself down next to James, as Professor Moore takes over the talking. Before he begins in earnest he introduces each expedition member, inviting them to stand up and speak a few words about themselves and their specialties. Every team member rises in turn and provides a bit of detail about themselves. Once everyone has finished Moore clears his throat and begins his speech.

“Mr Starkweather plans to return north on February the first.”

Moore pauses and points to the large map of Antarctica, dominated by huge uncharted expanses, that Starkweather has left hanging over the chalkboard. He grins and says, “I think that we should be able to fill in a lot of this before then, don’t you agree? In any case we shall try to cover as much territory as possible, in the time that we are on the ice.”

“We may be sharing the ice with three other expeditions, they each have their own itineraries of course, and Mr Starkweather would prefer that we stay out of each others way, if at all possible. In any case none of them have any plans to push inland across the Miskatonic Mountains, as far as I know.”

“Richard Byrd will be on his second expedition to the Antarctic continent, they should have been there already, but the current economical climate has meant that they have been delayed by twelve months. Byrd plans to use two ships, his command ship will be the 8200 ton cargo vessel the Jacob Ruppert, and it will be supported by the Bear of Oakland, a 700 ton icebreaker.”

“Bear of Oakland will be departing from Boston about a week after our own departure, while the faster Jacob Ruppert will remain in port until mid-October. They will use Byrd’s previous base “Little America” and plan to spend a whole year on the ice.”

“Lincoln Ellsworth’s expedition will also be operating from Byrd’s Little America base. As most of you will know they have worked together before, crossing the North Pole aboard the dirigible Norge in 1926. Ellsworth’s vessel, the 400 ton Wyatt Earp, has already departed for Antarctica this July, but we expect to reach the ice-pack at roughly the same time as he does. Ellsworth will be using his aircraft, a Northrup Monoplane called the Polar Star, to make various exploratory flights across the continent.”

Moore takes a little time to show the planned areas of exploration of each American party on the large map, Little America is located on the opposite side of the Ross Sea from the Starkweather-Moore expedition's planned base near Ross Island. “Finally the Barsmeier-Falken Expedition will be making use of the German Airship, the Graf Zeppelin to survey the continent from the air. I know rather less about their plans than those of the two American Parties, but I have met Joseph Meyer, one of their leaders very briefly some years ago, he seemed a decent enough chap.”

Starkweather nudges James and mutters, “Decent for a damn Hun, that is!”

“Quite,” Moore raises his eyebrows before continuing, “What I do know is that they will be based near to the Weddell Sea, and they will have the support of a specialised tender for the airship. As they’ll on the opposite side of the continent from our where our initial base will be located, I anticipate that we’ll have less chance of any contact with the Germans, then with the two other American expeditions.”

"We have two weeks remaining before we set sail. That isn't much time, and I'm afraid some things have rather fallen through the cracks. Between now and then I shall be calling upon each of you to lend your expertise toward our successful departure. I trust that you are willing to help? I've drawn up a number of lists, and there will doubtless be more when these are finished.”

“I’d like you to work in groups, and each group cross-check the contents of one these lists against the cargo that is being loaded onto the Gabrielle. I am sure that you will all agree that it would be terrible if we should arrive in Antarctica, only to realise that some vital piece of equipment has mistakenly been left here in New-York!”

“Our aviation team, both pilots and engineers, are excused this task as they will be leaving us this afternoon to inspect our four aircraft.”

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:50 pm
by Charles Graves
Moore's last point strikes a chord with Graves. He resolves to draw up an even more detailed list of any scientific equipment he may need. It would indeed be a tragedy to miss out on a potentially landmark discovery because he'd forgotten to bring something!

a brief question

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:18 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven raises his hand slightly to catch Moores attention.

"How much time do we have to try out the 247s? If we have the time at all, I would really love to do some low level flights, and some night time landings...get used to putting these birds down in extreme conditions, we are going to encounter zero visibilty and zero ceiling out there...whiteout landings they call them. I just want to be ready"

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:54 am
by Raiko
"You will have up to four days to inspect and test the Boeings Mr McRaven, you can fly them as you see fit in that time. After that they must be transported to the ship."

When none of the expedition members step forward to take one of the lists, Moore says "Is there some difficulty?"

"Come, come! We've a lot to do! The season won't wait, you know! In a few weeks we'll all be living by our wits; don't you want to be certain that everything is ready when the time comes? I do, and I'm sure all of you gentlemen do too."

"I hope that nobody here is afraid of a little hard work, because if you are prehaps you've signed up for the wrong expedition."

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:43 am
by Mister Juan
As Isugtag took a seat, next to McRaven, he felt slightly uncomfortable. The Inuit was an outdoors man, and had rarely spent so much time within the confine of a city. With each day that passed, he missed the fresh air and the wind in his hair. The time spent at sea would be a welcomed change from the craziness of New York city... even if Isugtag knew he had no boating experience.

The past week's events, as well as the new task Moore had given him, were rather fresh in his mind. He that some expedition members had did a little digging in Lawrence's background, but he hadn't persued the issue any further. If there was something he should know, he'd be informed.

Even if he knew very well that the odds of something "dangerous" happening once more, like a crazed gunman, were terribly slim, since he had taken down Lawrence at the dinner party, Isugtag had worn one of his service revolver at all time. He had, after all, been appointed Seargent-At-Arms. If things turned dangerous, it was his duty to act.

With a sigh, he brush the thought aside.

As Moore invited each members to present themselves, Isugtag rose to his feet. Rather tall, with broad shoulders and rolled up sleeves that showed powerful arms, the Inuit looked even more imposing than at the last meeting. His long black and gray hair were pulled into a pony tail, showing two long scars running on the right side of his face. Altough his english was understandable, it was obvious it wasn't his first tongue.

"Gentlemen, Miss" he said with a polite nod "as most of you now know, I am Isugtag Amaruq. I will be one of your guides... and your Seargent-At-Arms. If you ever have any question about polar survival technics, and gear, I will be glad to help you."

Before sitting, he almost bowed forward. "Thank you" he added, taking his seat.

Taking his pipe out of one of his pocket, the Inuit started to absentmindedly chew it's end.

When Moore finally called on the expedition members to help with the cargo, Isugtag immediatly rose to the job. He had felt rather useless in the past few days, and a bit of exercise would only do him some good. Quickly scanning the manifest, he picked up list #4.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:56 pm
by Henrik
Olof had listened with interest. He raised his hand.

"Is it possible to have a look at Professor Pabodie's drilling equipment? I have so far only read about the marvelous device!"

Olof picks up list #2. the food supplies. He is very interested in seeing the drill work for himself.

OOC: I did a little editing. I hope it's okay. Olof is of course very interesting in checking out the drill...

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Excuse me Isugtag? Can I come and help you with that?" Enquires Callum. "Only if you dont mind though. Its just there are is a lot of equipment on there I would like to look at, and as we are sharing a cabin on board, it would be great to work with you for a while?.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:20 pm
by Raiko
“Ah yes Olof, you’ve expressed a lot of interest in seeing the drill, as I recollect. Perhaps you could help to look after this list instead then.”

The professor hands Olof list#2, “As you can see, all the components of the drilling apparatus should be located in the number 1 tween deck hold.”

Seeing Callum approach Isugtag, Moore shouts, “Yes, yes a bit of teamwork, that’s what we need, come on everyone I have lots of lists and there is little time to inspect all the equipment!”

Moore takes List#7 over to Graves, “Perhaps some of you medical and scientific chaps could look after this? Most of it concerns you.”

“A keen mind is no excuse for an idle nature I always say!”

The portly professor Pierce Albemarle walks across to Graves, “Perhaps I could take a look at that list as well professor?” He places a monocle over his right eye as he studies the list, his fashionable mustache twitches as he whispers with a grin, “Before Moore lumbers me one of the with more physically demanding lists.”

The looming, scarred form of Gilmore appears at Olof’s shoulder, “I would also like to finally see the famous Pabodie drill Olof, perhaps we could share a taxi?”

Image Image
Prof. Pierce Albemarle, and Albert Gilmore

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:58 am
by Decrepit
"I wouldn't mind List #1," Jack says. "Nothing too technical about food, though--" he adds with a smile, "it's damn important."

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:02 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean glances over the lists for anything of interest. He finally comes across the photography equipment and thinks to himself.

Not much here really, but I should be sure it's all there

Hearing Moore present that particular list to Graves he approaches him.

"Mr. Graves, if it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd appreciate tagging along aswell"[/i]

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:28 pm
by Charles Graves
The slightly pompous Professor Graves balks slightly at being addressed as Mr Graves but is far too excited by the upcoming adventure to concern himself with such a trifle "Excellent!" he beams "The more people checking the equipment on the list, the less the chance of human error."

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:08 am
by OrionUK
"I'm not scared of a bit of hard work. I'll take whichever list is left." smiles James.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:40 am
by Mister Juan
Still holding the list, Isugatg's deep brown eyes went up to meet Callum's.

"Your help would be very much...." he stopped, apprently looking for a word "appreciated, Mister MacDonald."

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:55 pm
by Henrik
"Certainly Mr. Gilmore. Albert was it?" Olof shook his hand. "I have been reading about the drill for weeks and I'm very eager to see it. Perhaps there even is time to test it? Well, let's go and get that taxi. I guess we can continue this discussion in the taxi."

OOC: Olof leaves and I guess Albert Gilmore does that as well.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:31 pm
by Raiko
The Rose Room - Amherst Hotel, New York
09:30am – Saturday 2nd September 1933

“Ok everyone, anything that isn’t already onboard should be in the pier 74 warehouse.”

Moore looks back up from his clipboard and says, “Excellent James, you can give Mr Sykes a hand with list number 5 then. Be careful with the dynamite though!”

The other three professors quickly join Graves, Sean and Albemarle tackling list#7, whilst directing their graduate assistants to look after list#6. As they are about to depart Moore calls out, “Remember none of the scientific gear has been loaded yet.”

“We decided that you’d be better looking after loading it yourselves than trusting the stevedores not to damage anything. It should all be in the warehouse.”

Louis is keen to check out the expedition’s radio equipment so he joins Olof and Gilmore, they are also joined by Samuel Winslow the graduate student.

Isugtag and Callum are joined by the Sorensen Brothers who are keen to check that all the mountaineering and survival gear is in order. Gregor Pulaski and Erik Frodesen also tag along, they will take care of the sledges and the dogs respectively.

Erik’s compatriot Olav Sørensen elects to join Jack looking at List#1, the pemmican will be eaten by the dogs throughout the voyage, and eaten by everybody else once the ice is reached.

Sykes directs the three camp workers Tamás Lopez, Hidalgo Cruz and Maurice Cole to take care of List#3

On the train, New York to Trenton, New Jersey
02:30pm – Saturday 2nd September 1933

McRaven is accompanied on the journey to Skillman Airport by Kitt and the other two pilots Douglas Halperin and Ralph DeWitt. They are also joined by the aircraft mechanics, Patrick Miles and Alan “Colt” Huston.

Huston arrived on the 1st as a replacement for Lawrence.

The train departed at 14:05 and is due to reach Trenton, New Jersey at 15:55. From there it's a short journey by taxi out to Skillman Airport. Moore has provided the team with $100 to cover their accomodation whilst in Trenton.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:57 pm
by Raiko
Pier 74, New York
Afternoon – Saturday 3rd September 1933

It quickly becomes apparent that Professor Moore was quite right to insist on having all the Gabrielle’s cargo double checked before departure. Many items on the lists have not yet been loaded onto the ship and finding the right items in the large warehouse is easier said than done, at least three quarters of the boxes and crates stored within are nothing to do with the Starkweather-Moore Expedition, and distinguishing one wooden box from twenty others is a pain, to say the least.

Locating those items already loaded onto the Gabrielle is also tricky, the heavy timber and tarpaulin cargo hatches are open, both the main deck hatches over the tween deck holds, and the tween deck hatches above the lower holds, but these cannot be use by personnel. The only way for a person to get down into each cargo hold is via a heavy metal hatch and a twelve foot vertical ladder leading down to each tween deck hold. The lower-deck holds are reached by a further hatch and a caged ladder.

The holds themselves are unlit. Although enough light is available though the open cargo hatches during the day, as evening begins to set in it becomes necessary to rig up electrical lighting assemblies. Fitted with 200watt bulbs these are hooked on the ceilings, their cables passing back through the open hatches to the main deck, there are sixteen lighting assemblies available in all. Arrays of reflectors on the lighting assemblies help to spread their light a little, but they still only illuminate small areas of the holds.

During the voyage the main cargo hatches will be closed tight, so it is to be hoped that similar searches of the holds will not be necessary at sea, as the jury rigged lighting assemblies will be woefully inadequate.

By time the explorers return to the Amherst hotel late in the evening, it is apparent that many mistakes have been made in the provisioning if the expedition’s vital equipment, either the wrong item has been ordered or delivered, or the listed item is not present at all. It is clear that each individual box and crate will need to opened, checked and resealed, in order to ensure that all the required equipment is present when the expedition finally reaches Antarctica.

This seems to be exactly why Moore decided to be so careful double checking the manifest, but with so many items to check, and so many provisioning mistakes made already, it is lucky that there are still almost two full weeks to prepare.

The worst mistake to be uncovered during the afternoon were the kennels for the expedition’s thirty six dogs. A frame has been assembled in the number 5 tween deck hold, into which the wooden kennels were to be fitted. But the kennels have been provided disassembled, and they are all too big for the gaps in the frame.

Nils and Gunnar Sorensen offer to help Pulaskiand Frodesen assemble the kennels and rebuild their mounting frame, but even together it will take them at least two days work, and in the meantime Callum and Isugtag must work alone on the rest of the list.

Another disaster is the dynamite, blasting caps and fuses, which are all missing. After an exhausting search of the warehouse by James and Sykes, which failed to reveal any sign of the missing explosives, a few telephone calls by James revealed that the missing dynamite and blasting caps are all still at the supplier’s warehouse in New Jersey; according to State-Law the purchaser must present their credentials and purchase a permit before the explosives can be shipped. After consulting with Moore, James arranged an appointment at the warehouse for the following afternoon, where he will handle the necessary paperwork.

Of the missing fuses there is no sign, they were all dispatched from the suppliers on time, and have been signed into the warehouse, but now they’ve vanished. Sykes had no choice, but to order a second set.

Olof has had more luck though, the Pabodie Drilling Apparatus was still in the warehouse, inspecting it the young engineer found that the high tech drill was exactly as he had imagined. Together with Louis and Gilmore he supervised the stevedores as they loaded the three heavy crates by crane into the #1 tween deck hold.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:27 pm
by Raiko
Skillman Airport – Near Trenton, New Jersey
Late Afternoon, Saturday 2nd September, 1933

Although it calls itself an airport, Skillman Field would be a more correct description for the place that McRaven, Kitt and the others find themselves dropped off by their two taxis. The facility has a single grass strip, and doesn’t even have a single hanger.

There is however ample parking area for the aircraft operating from here, of which there are half a dozen in addition to the four parked aircraft of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition, including a couple of Junkers Tri-Motors, so perhaps the small airport has a bright future

The four pilots and their two engineers are greeted upon their arrival by two business suited representatives of the Boeing Corporation, and an engineer from Fairchild. Boeing have erected a small marquee next to their three shiny new aeroplanes, “I’m Doug and this is Paul, our friend here from Fairchild is Dave Wright, we’ve got catering facilities and a full set of tools and spares in the tent.”

“I’m sure you gentlemen would like to look around your aircraft. Oh and you too Miss Knight, I’ve read all about you – it really is a pleasure to meet you.”

“We thought that you could all take good look at the aircraft this afternoon, and then get down to some serious testing early tomorrow. Our engineers will brief your guys of course, and we’ve brought you two full sets of technician and performance documentation.”

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 pm
by Raiko
New York Times - September 3rd 1933 wrote: COMMANDER DOUGLAS TO JOIN EXPEDITION
Sunday 3rd September, 1933
Famed Sea-Captain Returns to Antarctic Waters

New York (AP) - Commander J. B. Douglas, famed sea captain and former master of the brig Arkham, will return to Antarctic waters later this year. James Starkweather, world explorer and leader of the forthcoming Starkweather-Moore Expedition to Antarctica, announced today that Douglas has agreed to come out of retirement and captain the expedition's ship on their voyage of discovery.

“Commander Douglas will be an invaluable addition to our expedition,” Starkweather said. “Not only does he have a personal knowledge of the many of the dangers and hazards of the South Pole, but he is an accomplished explorer and adventurer. The expedition will benefit greatly from his experience of the harsher climes and his keen inquiring mind. I look forward to providing this country's most noteworthy scientists with a means to enrich our understanding of the natural world.”

Douglas, a twenty-five year veteran of the Merchant Marines, was sailing master of the Arkham on its 1930 voyage to the Antarctic with the now-famous Miskatonic Expedition. He retired from the sea in 1932. Commander Douglas could not be reached for comments. Starkweather has promised interviews with the Commander beginning on September 7, by appointment.

08:30am - Sunday 3rd September, 1933

The breakfast room is abuzz with talk of the mysterious Captain Douglas, little has been heard of him since the Miskatonic Expedition returned, so this is a most unexpected development.

Jack arrives down for breakfast later then the others having finally got off the phone with his editor. Although the News ran the same Associated Press article as the Times, he’d expected an exclusive and it seems that he thinks Jack is to blame.

“You make sure Starkweather comes to you first next time, I expect to news out from this thing well ahead of the damn Times. Don’t let me down again Jack

When a very angry Jack finally makes it down to breakfast Starkweather is nowhere to be seen. Moore waves to him as he enters the room, “Ah good to see you Jack, Mr Starkweather asked me to send you though to the Washington Room as soon as you’ve eaten, he’s holding a press conference at 10am and of course he’d prefer you get the first questions in.”

When asked about the earlier article Moore merely shrugs and replies, “I’m afraid that it’s not really in James Starkweather’s nature to quietly leak a story, the more publicity the better has always been his policy, at least you’ll get your exclusives once we depart – if that’s any compensation.”

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 pm
by Raiko
Pier 74, New York

If anybody expected a “day of rest” they were to be very disappointed; clipboard in hand Moore continued to ensure that everybody remained busy at the docks, ticking off each checked item, and cursing at each mistake discovered:

“Well sort it out then. No need to ask me, just do whatever it takes. We really don’t have much time.”

After yesterdays problems Moore insists that every crate is opened, whether already on the Gabrielle, or still in the warehouse, so it is very slow going. The following additional problems are uncovered by the investigators:

The two crated windmill generators & tripods that Olof searches for on List#2 are nowhere to be seen. Eventually after spending much of day scouring the warehouse with Albert Gilmore, Olof calls the suppliers Willard and Ball Agricultural Supply Company of Chicago, Illinois only to discover that the generators have not been shipped. Apparently payment of $370 was never received. He arranges with Moore for anyother cheque to be sent, and the suppliers promise that the generators will be dispatched immediately once the payment has been received.

The team looking after List#7 finish carefully loading the crates of scientific equipment into the expedition office located on the Boat Deck, but the case containing the astronomy instruments and Geiger counter is missing, when Sean thinks to ask Moore, the professor remembers that that box is has been stored in the luggage room at The Amherst.

Callum and Isugtag are trying to check all of the mountaineering gear, while their companions continue to labour over the kennels, but the twelve bags of climbing gear and pitons are not present either on the ship or in the warehouse. Callum calls the supplier (Dalrymple’s of Boston) and discovers that the carton has been mistakenly dispatched to the hotel rather than the docks. A search at The Amherst reveals that these too are hidden in the luggage room, stored with all of Starkweather’s personal mountaineering equipment.

Still at least as evening falls, all of the teams feel that they are finally making some progress with the laborious task of checking and double checking the supplies.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:27 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean tiredly stretches, when he was eager to get into this expedition for his photography and a chance at some fame he did not believe he'd be doing hard labor or as he was beginning to think of it as slave work.

He smiled as he thought to himself it'll be good for ya anyway. Good thing we're doing it anyhow, seems like they did a pretty sloppy job organizing this whole spiel.

Sean figures he may as well continue with the work. He decides to see if Moore wants him to retrieve the List 7 equipment from the luggage room.

"Professor Moore, Would it be a problem to retrieve these last items from the luggage room?"

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:23 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven shakes hands with the three men and heads over with the other pilots, keen to check out the Boeings. He is instantly struck by how graceful the bird looks. Like a kid anxiously waiting to open his presents on xmas, he can't wait to open this one.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 pm
by Ghost_1971
"I think we are doing a pretty good job here Isugtag."
"We can bring the other equipment from the hotel when we come back tomorrow." smiles Callum. "Then with a bit of luck, we will see that light at the end of the tunnel. Figuratively speaking of course."

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:51 pm
by Charles Graves
"If it's ok with you Mr McPhearson I'll go back to help you with the equipment. We can give it a quick look over before we bring it back to the ship."

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:27 am
by Raiko
Skillman Airport – Near Trenton, New Jersey

The three Boeings are every bit as good as they look; with their all-metal, twin-engine fuselages, with retractable undercarriages the 247s are the first of a new breed of airliner. It’s a testimony to Starkweather’s considerable fame and charisma that he has managed to procure three of these new aircraft, despite Boeing’s exclusive contact with United Airlines.

The four pilots put each of the 247s through their paces throughout the day and well into the evening. They find that each plane behaves well with only a few minor faults to report after each flight. McRaven is extremely impressed with the ease that he can instrument fly the 247, a task helped greatly by the gyroscopic attitude display mounted in the cockpit’s centre console. Low level night flying is also aided by the tritium illumination of the cockpit instruments, these allow all cockpit lights to be extinguished, boosting night vision, and eliminating reflections from the windows.

The twin 550 horse power Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial engines on Starkweather’s planes have been specially fitted with full NACA cowlings and controllable variable pitch propellers, replacing the two position propellers of the standard 247s. This means that Starkweather’s 247s have a single engine ceiling of over 11,000 feet, much more comfortable in an emergency than the 4,000 feet of the standard model. This will be particularly important when operating over the Antarctic Plateau which averages 10,000 feet in height.

Although it’s less spectacular than the three Boeing’s, the Fairchild FC-2 monoplane is also a good choice for the expedition. With its single Wright J-5 "whirlwind" radial engine, and a range of 700 miles, the Fairchild will be used to scout out suitable landing strips for the three larger Boeings, and for aerial photography and cartography. The excellent Wright J-5 is the same engine as Charles Lindbergh used for his record breaking flight, and has been the engine of choice for explorers and aviation pioneer ever since. Each of the pilot’s gets a couple of hours in on the Fairchild, between flights on the 247s.

By the time they return again to their hotel in Trenton, all six of the party are in good spirits, they have accomplished a great deal, and

Boeing 247 Cockpit

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:37 am
by Raiko
The Fourth Floor – Amherst Hotel, New York
04:03am – Monday 4th September 1933

The sleeping explorers on the fourth floor are awoken long before dawn on the 4th by a loud disturbance, somebody is banging furiously on one of the other doors in the corridor. Though groggy, all of the investigators recognize Starkweather's voice, although it has a frenzied edge that none of them have heard before.

"Moore!" he shouts. "Blast you, man, I want you awake! Moore!"

Investigators looking out into the hall see Starkweather, in robe and pyjamas, standing before the door to Moore's room. His hair is dishevelled and he is unshaven. One fist beats furiously on Moore's door, while a morning newspaper is crushed in the other. Uncharacteristically, Starkweather is in an utter rage. None of the investigators have ever seen James Starkweather behave like this; even after the incident with Lawrence he was composed, although quieter than usual.

Starkweather pays no attention to anyone around him. After a moment he gives up his pounding and slams against Moore's door, bursting it open with a loud crash, and storms inside. Callum's room is directly across from Moore's and looking in through the open doorway he can see Moore, in bed, scrambling around for his glasses and robe while Starkweather bellows, beet red, and thrusts the newspaper furiously in Moore's face.

"It's her, Moore! All the time it was her! I should have known! Who else could it have been? The conniving witch! I should have suspected her hand in things from the beginning! Blast it, Moore, listen to me! How else could she stop me? Who else would have switched those cans of fish with oil? Who else has the money to spy on us? To throw things in our way? Ruin our goods! Sabotage the dog cages! Delay our trains! Poison the minds of trusted employees! To bribe, to steal, to throw barricades before us, for her own spiteful little reasons."

"I won't allow it, Moore! Not this time! She won't get the upper hand this time! I'll prove to everyone that she's nothing more than a-"

Starkweather stops in mid-sentence. He looks around, still breathing heavily, suddenly aware of the watchers in the hall, and visibly makes a decision. Throwing the newspaper down with a snap in front of the dishevelled professor, he says, in a terrible steely voice, "Advance the schedule, Moore! We're leaving on the 9th. The 9th, Moore! See to it!"

With that, Starkweather storms out through the door, brushes roughly past the onlookers and, ignoring everyone, stomps up the stairs and disappears into his room.

Moore sits quietly in his room. At first he seems as confused as the investigators are; after he picks up the newspapers left behind by Starkweather and glances at the open page, he goes quite still for a moment, and then sighs.

Looking up at the others in the doorway, he straightens his glasses and says, with deadpan composure, "Gentlemen, you heard Mr Starkweather. The schedule is advanced; we now leave on the 9th.”

“I shall see you at breakfast. We'll have to work a bit harder, I'm afraid. Now, if you will excuse me, I must dress."

He hands the nearest investigator the newspaper. Moore says nothing more until the room is cleared and his door, now unlockable, is nonetheless closed.
New York Times - September 4th 1933 wrote: LEXINGTON SETS SIGHTS SOUTH
Monday 4th September, 1933
Blonde Beauty to Fly to Pole

New York (ISP) - In a startling announcement from her home in Queens today, millionaire industrialist Acacia Lexington told reporters that she intends to set aside her ledger books in favor of seal furs and snow goggles, in an attempt to be the first woman to stand at the bottom of the world, beating Miss Kitt Knight of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition by days.

Lexington, only child of the late P. W. Lexington of this city, has for years impressed friends and adversaries alike with her skilled maneuverings in troubled financial waters. Now she intends to venture into a new realm. Accompanied by a hand-picked team of journalists, photographers, and wilderness experts, the lovely Acacia will cross the Antarctic wastelands in a specially modified Northrop Delta aeroplane and a Pitcairn PCA-2 autogiro.

"It's about time a woman did this," she told our reporters. "Today's women are capable of anything that men can do. If I am the first, it only means that others will find it easier to follow." When asked if her planned expedition was in any way affected by the presence of no less than four other parties on the Antarctic ice this summer, Miss Lexington declined to comment.

Miss Lexington tests her Pitcairn autogiro over Manhattan

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:18 am
by Decrepit
"Bloody hell," Jack mutters to himself after watching Starkweather's tirade. "Seems like I've been scooped again." Now I'm going to have to track down both Starkweather and Lexington, try to do a catch-up story ...

Jack knew of Acacia Lexington, of course. Everyone in the city had at least heard of her, and Jack had more cause than most to know, as his rag was prone to sensational stories about the rich and powerful. Starkweather's reaction, though, was, well, damned peculiar, Jack thought. There must be some back story here, something more than just garden-variety paranoia. Better call up the paper and have one of the cub reporters do a morgue search, and fast.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:28 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean feels the urgency as well as he realizes that this expedition will not get as much fame if they are not the first. He knows he can't afford to lose another check.

Atleast we're leaving sooner, all this waiting is driving me insane Sean thought.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:47 am
by Ghost_1971
It seems there's history between Starkweather and this Lexington woman. I suppose we'll find out more at breakfast.

Oh well back to bed for me......

funs over

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:39 pm
by Steerpike
"Look, the real problem is whiteout, we all know that. We're either looking at cancelling the landing, or the path finder illuminates the site..maybe flares or a can of bright orange or yellow paint" says Mcraven, shrugging slightly as he and the other pilots mull over the coming expedition.

Getting up from his seat he heads over to the table to pour himself another coffee. As he does this, ne notices the newspaper, just brought in by one of the boeing techs...

LEXINGTON SETS SIGHTS SOUTH

"Oh crap...guys we may be leaving early"

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:33 pm
by Raiko
The Amherst Hotel, New York
04:15am - Monday 4th September, 1933

Jack in put straight through to his editor as soon as he calls the Daily News, despite only intending to speak to a junior reporter.

“Great Jack I’m glad you called, I’ve just arrived back at the office and calling you was one of the first items on my list.”

“I take it you’ve heard about the Acacia Lexington Expedition or you wouldn’t be up at this ungodly hour? Yeah, you’ve heard? And how did Starkweather handle it? Jesus! Really? Great, there’s a story there then! I’ll get Danny to dig through the morgues here for you.”

“You dig into the story more at your end then; you say the Starkweather departure’s coming forward? so Knight’s going to beat Lexington after all? Great work, the Times don’t know about that yet! Ok I’ll speak again later.”

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:01 pm
by Raiko
New York Daily News wrote: Knight Races Lexington to Pole
Monday 4th September 1933

Departure Date Moved As Ice Maidens Battle It Out

New York - The Daily News can today exclusively reveal that the Starkweather-Moore Expedition will depart almost a week ahead of schedule.

In a attempt to help daring Antarctic pilot Kitt Knight in her bid to become the first lady to stand at the icy southern pole, famous world explorer Captain James Starkweather has moved the departure date of his own expedition forward to the 9th of this month. One day ahead of Acacia Lexington's Expedition.

It seems that the race is on and the claws are out, as the two brave beauties go head-to-head all the way to the bottom of the world. This newspaper will be uniquely positioned to bring you more exclusive news as this story develops, thanks to our correspondent Jack Wilson, the only New York journalist who dares put his life on the line to bring this dramatic story to the people of New York as it happens.
Race to the South Pole – see pages 2, 3 and 4

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:04 pm
by Raiko
Trenton, New Jersey
Monday 4th September 1933

It doesn't take long for McRaven to be proved correct, Moore calls before the pilots and engineers have finished their breakfast: the flight testing of the aircraft is too end immediately.

"I'm sorry, I know you'd prefer more time, but the planes need to be made ready for transportation now, if we are to depart to the new schedule."

Moore also explains that Kitt must leave Trenton and return to New York on the first available train, "Mr Starkweather wishes to increase her press exposure."

It is a very angry Miss Knight who leaves the hotel heading for the railroad station, while the rest of the aviation team return to the airfield to oversee the dismantling of the aircraft, ready for transport by train to New York, and storage aboard the Gabrielle.

"That idiot man didn't even want me in the expedition, and now he wants to parade me in front of the world press!"

The 247s will have their wings stored in huge crates, the engines will also be stored separately. The Fairchild merely has its wings folded back along its fuselage. Preparation takes the whole day, the aviation team will send one more night in their Trenton hotel before returning to New York on the morning of the 5th.

08:30am - Monday 4th September, 1933

The Rose Room is buzzing with discussion of the new expedition, which has made the front page of all the newspapers, as well as the race to depart ahead of the Lexington Expedition.

Nils is furious, he confronts Moore angrily, "You cannot compromise safety on the whim of some petty lover's tiff!"

Moore turns aside the guide's angry remarks and merely replies, "We shall just have to work hard and ensure that everything is in order. There is little to be gained by wasting time shouting here, we must return to the ship and continue the job. As you say there is little time, and safety must not be compromised."

Nils looks about to say something else, but instead storms out of the room, his face twisted in rage. The Rose Room doors are almost knocked off their hinges as the powerful Norwegian leaves.

Gunnar turns to Callum and Isugtag, "Perhaps I could help you guys with the list today? I don't think my brother will be pleasant to work with."

"I expect he'll finish the kennels today though."

During breakfast a member of the Amherst staff passes an envelope to Jack, "This has arrived from your newspaper sir."

Opening the envelope Jack finds that it contains a newspaper cutting from 1920.
New York Daily News wrote: Daring Rescue of Heiress
Wednesday 20th October, 1920
Nairobi (INS) -- The dark continent where the wonders of nature can turn on man and prove deadly has shown once again that wherever European man goes, so goes chivalry. Wireless reports out of the Belgian colonies in Africa tell of the daring rescue of our own socialite scamp Acacia Lexington by that gallant Englishman, Captain James Starkweather.

Lovely Lexington has been touring the regions of darkest Africa dominated by the mighty Lake Tanganyika. Savages fight daily with alligators longer than a Deusenberg to ensure the passage of commerce in this wild region. Against the advice of her elders, Lady Lexington insisted upon seeing the fabled giraffe mating grounds of Eyasi. Under the expert leadership of Captain Starkweather the band braved the wilderness and arrived at the plains of tall swaying grasses the giraffes find so compelling for their very survival.

The wild beasts, gentled by our own lovely Lady Lexington, came within a few feet of the party without making threatening gestures. Lady Lexington's presence was so compelling that when she came upon a baby giraffe in the grasses, she immediately tamed it and was able to even embrace it briefly before it returned to its herd, earning her the nickname among the savages as 'The Woman Whom the Giraffes Love.'

On the return trip to Nairobi, sudden rains caught the party crossing a branch of the mighty Nakuru River. The party was nearly lost as savages panicked under the onslaught of the rain and river. Brave Captain Starkweather rallied the natives and had them chop trees and fashion rafts to carry the supplies to safety. A personal trip by Captain Starkweather to a nearby village procured enough canoes to carry the party across the river. The crossing was treacherous but under the skilled hand of Captain Starkweather the entire party made it to port in time for Lady Lexington's return trip to America.

We'll all be thanking Captain Starkweather for the safe return of one of the brightest lights of our social season. Hurrah for him and hurrah for chivalry!

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:04 pm
by Raiko
09:15am - Monday 4th September, 1933

Starkweather was nowhere to be seen at breakfast, but he comes looking for Jack shortly afterwards.

“Ah Jack, just the man!”

“No need for you to go to the docks today, I’ve got rather more important work for you here.”

“I’ve asked Moore to get Miss Knight back at once, and I’d like you to escort her once she returns. You’ve already interviewed her once, so you know how she ticks – typical female.”

“I plan to make sure that we keep our Kitt in the limelight, so we don’t get overshadowed by that Lexington thing. So I’d appreciate your help making sure that our intrepid lady pilot understands how to handle herself in front of New York’s finest.”

“She’s spent rather a long time living out in the wilderness you see, so she’s obviously going to need a little help.”

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:25 pm
by Decrepit
Jack can tell that Starkweather's misread Kitt horribly. Keeping her in line and making her presentable are, in Jack's estimation, both less necessary than Starkweather thinks and more difficult than the captain could imagine.

Jack realizes he isn't exactly forward in his thinking about women. He's spent enough time with strong-willed women, though, to know that one can't exactly hope to control them. If he could've done that, he probably wouldn't have been divorced twice.

Still, this assignment beats sorting cans of apricots.

The matter with Starkweather and Lexington was interesting. Clearly, there had been some kind of ... what? Working relationship? Something must've soured.

Jack decides to gamble a little, even though knowing that Starkweather is volatile and particularly, obviously sensitive about the Lexington issue.

"I'd be happy to take on this assignment, Captain. I must ask, though, for an official reaction from you to the Lexington expedition. My paper will want me to talk with Miss Lexington as well, and I'd like to hear your side of the story.

"And--" Jack continues, lowering his voice, "--I don't think it would be in your best interest or mine to leave your early-morning reaction as the 'official' one."

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves is spending much of his time at the moment checking the medical supplies. This is one area where everything must be perfect when they hit the ice.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:23 pm
by Raiko
09:15am - Monday 4th September, 1933

Starkweather stares coldly at Jack for a second before replying, his voice is low and dangerous, “Mr Wilson, anything that has occurred between myself and Miss Lexington is neither you or your editor’s business. And you would do well to remind Mr Patterson, that while you are a member of this expedition, you will be expected to remain loyal to the expedition – his isn’t the only show in town.”

The former captain lightens up slightly, “If you want an official line, the Antarctic continent is more than big enough for both expeditions, I don’t expect we will cross paths anyway. It you want more, speak to Moore”

“Miss Knight’s train is due to arrive at Pennsylvania Station at 11am, I trust you will be there.”

With that James Starkweather storms away down the corridor.

Pier 74, New York
Monday 4th September, 1933

As they inspect the radio equipment Olof and Louis discover that the power amplifier tubes for the four trail radios are all missing. Further investigation reveals that they must be ordered separately, but this hasn’t been done.

Having checked the photographic equipment from list#7 Sean goes in search of the large box containing film developing equipment listed of list#3, but cannot find it anywhere. After an exhaustive search of the warehouse with Clark, they eventually locate it piled up with other a dozen identically sized boxes – all the other boxes are labelled “chocolate.”

Callum, Isutag and Gunnar search long and hard, but cannot locate the twenty heavy timbers destined to be the main beams of the base shelters. Nils and the other two spend the day finishing the kennels for the dogs, the strenuous labour does not seem to have lessened Nils’ anger any though.

Meanwhile James travels to Giordano’s construction supplies in new jersey to sign paperwork for the explosives, he also purchases replacements for the missing time blasting fuse coils. All of the explosive gear will be delivered to the ship tomorrow.

Professor Graves spends much of the day checking and double checking both his own and the expedition medical kits, both seem to be fully equipped. He also stores the collection of medical texts that he brought from England in his small cabin.

Pennsylvania Station, New York
10:59am - Monday 4th September, 1933

The train from Trenton rolls into Pennsylvania station precisely on time.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:43 pm
by Decrepit
"Patterson, this is Jack," the reporter says from his end of the 'phone. A pause. "Yeah, it went poorly. Yeah, he's outrageously senstitive on the Lexington issue. Lectured me on 'loyalty to the expedition' and all that rot.

"Keep digging on this angle, and let me know if you find out more. I need to run up to the train station soon to pick up Miss Knight." A pause. "Yes, Starkweather's very anxious to make her the centerpiece of this expedition, and I don't think our readers will mind." I won't mind too much, either, Jack thinks to himself.

"After I pick her up, I'll do some more research at the library on Starkweather and Lexington and that prior expedition. Maybe ask Moore, too." Another pause.

"Listen, I can't ask him again. I've got to be careful here. If I push the captain too far, he'll go Stark-raving-mad-weather and boot me off. All right. I'll stop by this afternoon."

Jack hangs up, checks the time, then heads off to the train station. He knew Kitt didn't want to be front-and-center, but it wasn't like Starkweather was giving either of them a choice, and the readers were in love with the "lady angle." Sales spiked every time Kitt came up, and everyone likes a good rivalry. Less selfishly, Jack wanted to prepare Kitt for, maybe even protect her a little from, the media onslaught and also warn her about Starkweather's explosion.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:41 pm
by Ghost_1971
"We need to get some replacement Timbers. I'll go and make a few telephone calls and see what we can get." Callum heads off to find a phone.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:00 am
by Henrik
Olof had thought that going through the manifest would have been easily done. He had never expected that so many things would be missing or broken.

"And all this time, it seems that Starkweather is more occupied with some sort of lover's quarrel! And I thought this would be some sort of scientific expedition!"

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:32 pm
by OrionUK
Once James has sorted out the dynamite and additional supplies delivery details he heads back to the ship, seeing Olof with the manifest he asks if there is anything else he can do to help, wanting the ship to be ready on time he realises this is a time for hard work for once!

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:30 pm
by Henrik
Olof looks up from the manifest, seeing James standing there. He looks questioningly at the Englishman for a second, before he connects what James just asked him. "Oh, pardon me. I was so engrossed in this manifest that I did not notice you coming. Of course there is a lot I need help with. I've checked out the drill, but there is other things on this list. This things needs to be checked." Olof points at the manifest list to show what needs to be examined further.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:00 am
by Raiko
11:01am – Monday 4th September 1933

Kitt is still angry when she steps off the train, expecting to be met by Starkweather she is ready for a fight. Her mood is brightened somewhat when she finds Jack rather then the English explorer waiting on the platform. They had conducted a pleasant interview in the Amherst’s restaurant prior to her departure for Trenton, perhaps Starkweather planned to handle all the interviews through Jack rather than parading her in front of hordes of journalists.

Inside Pennsylvania Station

Pier 74, New York
11:30am – Monday 4th September 1933

After finishing checking through the medical equipment Graves decides to head for New York’s huge public library on Fifth Avenue, as well as being the ideal place to acquire a few medical texts to study before departure, One can never be too prepared after all, he should also have chance to investigate into the latest events.

Before leaving the docks the professor speaks to Moore hoping to persuade him that researching the medical texts will require at least a full day or two at the library, but his efforts are rebuffed.

“I’m sorry Professor, but there really isn’t time to spare, we depart in less than five days and there is still much to be done.”

“Go to the library, and carry out your research, but I expect you to be back here first thing tomorrow morning.”

Grumbling under his breath Graves heads off to the library.

New York Public Library, New York
Afternoon - Monday 4th September 1933

Graves First locates all of the medical texts that he requires, fortunately he accomplices this in record time so he still has much of the day to look into other things.

The professor first takes a look through the press records searching for information about the relationship between Starkweather and Acacia Lexington, but his searches fail to uncover anything better than details of the African Safari, each newpaper carried it’s own minor variation of the story printed in the Daily News. There is obviously more to this than meets the eye, but Graves cannot find any mention of it.

Frustrated Graves wracks his head for something else to research, remembering hearing about Danforth, the disturbed survivor of the fateful 1930 Expedition, the professor spends the rest of the day researching that angle, but again he fails to uncover concrete evidence. The reports that he finds all state that Danforth was admitted to either a rest home or an asylum, but frustratingly nothing that Graves reads mentions which one!

Eventually the library closes for the night, and the frustrated academic is forced to abandon his research. He checks out a few of the medical texts to study at the hotel, making a mental note to return them before departure.

One of the reading rooms at the New York Public Library

Amherst Hotel, New York
03:00pm – Monday 4th September 1933

It turns out that Starkweather does indeed prefer to parade Kitt in front of every available journalist in New York, her objections to being used in this way fall on deaf ears and Starkweather’s comment of, “Now, now my dear there’s no need for nerves, you just need to look pretty while I address the press chaps - it’ll be over in a jiffy,” do nothing to calm her mood.

After three hours of Starkweather press conferences, and individual interviews between Kitt and the reporters of various newspapers they eventually stop for a break. Jack who, as instructed, has remained with Kitt throughout the day asks Starkweather if they could be allowed a longer break to get some fresh air, he hopes to slip off with Kitt to the library. But the expedition leader will have none of it, “Absolutely not, there are eight more appointments today, and another press conference at six.”

“The chap from the Times is due here in fifteen minutes, that’s the English Times not the New York one. You can take Miss Knight for a walk in the morning, there’s no news conference scheduled until 1pm.”

Jack doesn’t even have time to head over to the Daily News offices until after 8pm. When he arrives he learns that Danny hasn’t really managed to discover what the problem is between Starkweather and Lexington, but it does look like it started in Africa. It is not a notorious feud, but correspondents have noted a frigid formality between Miss Lexington and Captain Starkweather in the few formal functions that they have both attended in the intervening thirteen years.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:08 am
by Raiko
Amherst Hotel, New York
09:40am – Tuesday 5th September 1933

Breakfast passes without incident for once, and most of the investigators are walking into the hotel lobby, preparing to start the tasks of a new day.

The desk clerk points out Professor Graves to a man in the hotel lobby. The man approaches hesitantly, a square of paper in one hand. Graves is accompanied by James and Sean, several other investigators are also nearby.

He is a thin dark-haired man in his thirties, clean but with the threadbare air common in these Depression days, "Excuse me, sir," he says, "Are you one of the scientists who are going to Antarctica? A fellow on the street gave me two bits to give this to one of you," the man hands an envelope to Graves, apologizes for the intrusion, and leaves.

Inside is a letter, scrawled in ink, There is no signature and no date.
Dear Man of Science,

Soon You will go down far away to the cold and the white ice and the old old things that wait and move and work and plan. Do not! Blessed Mary hears me beg You to stay! Do not wake the Sleeping One there. Do not pass the prison walls of black and white cold ice and time. The cage must not open! Let the dead and the dying hold closed the doors.

I have listened to His dreams. I have seen Its form within His mind, for He has seen It and He knows It must be free and He will stop You if You go.

Turn back or we all die.
A friend.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:09 pm
by Henrik
Olof is standing in the lobby having eaten a large breakfast, expecting another day of looking through various stuff that has been wrongly catalogued or just not is there, when Professor Graves gets his unexpected letter. Feeling curious, but not wanting to be rude Olof stays for a while, perhaps the Professor will tell what is in his letter. Perhaps it concerns the expedition?

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:18 pm
by OrionUK
James, seeing the look on Professor Graves face upon reading his note, addresss Charles "Are you alright old chap? you look a little perturbed"

James has woken in an inquisative mood today and feels checking manifests might not hold his attention for long whilst in this mood. He hopes this note might have some link to Lawrence or the previous expedition??

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:43 pm
by Raiko
McRaven’s train journey back to New York is enjoyable, but uneventful. He and his companions have become quick friends while away in Trenton, though the sudden and unexpected curtailment of the flying program, and the early recall of Kitt, have both dampened the mood of the others.

The bookish Douglas Halperin is an extremely good pilot, like McRaven he has rarely been seen without a flight manual for either the Boeings or the Fairchild in hand, except when he’s actually flying. And if anything he is even more safety conscious than McRaven. He has formed an excellent working relationship with the mechanic Patrick Miles.

Miles is something of a workaholic, prepared to put in as much time and effort as necessary to get any job done, no matter what, he also does everything very much by-the-book. His attitude to work goes very well with the studious pilots McRaven and Halperin, they both know that they have a mechanic who will work tirelessly to sort out any problems that they have with the aircraft.

The other mechanic “Colt” Huston is much more laid back than Miles, but none the less is a competent engineer. He also shows more imagination than his counterpart, if something ever needed fixing fast, and not by the book, McRaven thinks that Colt would be the man to get it done.

Between the two contrasting mechanics, and backed up by McRaven’s own mechanical skills they seem an outstanding team, and neither of them appears likely to become a homicidal maniac in the near future either, which is a good thing.

McRaven is a little more concerned about the other pilot Ralph DeWitt, who is ever bit as brash and overconfident as he appears. A veteran of the Great War, and a seasoned flyer of many light aircraft since as a barnstormer, air racer and crop-duster, DeWitt seems to reckless for this work.

Throughout the flight testing DeWitt was happy to take risks that none of the other pilots would dream of. DeWitt is an excellent aviator, and ensured the others that he’d never take risks with passengers aboard, but to McRaven the man appears to be a loose cannon.

Even so, he has a charisma and roguish charm that makes him impossible to dislike.

The train is five minutes late today, so the three pilots and their two mechanics step onto the platform of the huge Pennsylvania Station at 11:05am. They know that the planes won't start to arrive until tomorrow, so hopefully they will have the day to themselves.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:51 pm
by Charles Graves
The blood draining from his face, Graves scans the lobby for Starkweather or Moore and after seeing no sign of either looks around his fellow expedition members.

"Come with me." His voice is flat and deadly serious.

He leads those who want to follow into a quiet corner of the lobby and reads the letter to the group, then looks up at the others.

"I guess I will be the first to say what I'm sure most of us have been thinking for some time now," he looks at each of his companions in turn guaging their reactions before he continues. "Gentlemen, there is something rotten in Denmark or should I say Antarctica. After the Lawrance incident I tried to convince myself that the ravings of a deranged maniac should not distract me from the 'bigger picture' but I'm sure you would all agree that only a fool would ignore the catalogue of warnings we've received and problems that have beset us before we have even left the U.S."

"I have the upmost respect for the Expedition's destinquished leaders, but since my trip to Arkham I have seriously doubted that they have been telling us everything we need to know to successfully survive this perilous undertaking." Once again he pauses momentarily realising the gravity of what he has just said.

"As this letter says, I am indeed a man of science and as such I rely on gathering as much information as possible before coming to any conclusions and as I have now exhaustively checked the items on my list I fully intend to gather that information. I hope you will all support me in this as I feel that all our lives are in great danger. I would also ask that one of you accompany me in my investigations not only because I would appriciate some assistance in my research, but also because I believe that there may be people determined to see our expedition fail and would fear for my life investigating alone!"

The Professor raises a weak smile, "Any volunteers?"

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:13 pm
by Decrepit
Before coming down, Jack was in a poor mood. It was bad enough that he didn't get to the library at all, or to his own office until 8 p.m. The worst part was helping Starkweather coordinate interviews with Jack's own competition. As much as his professional pride was wounded, he was also troubled by the parading around of Kitt. Not that she hadn't handled things well--the gal was a real trooper, answering the same banal question over and over with as much patience as any human could be expected to. Still, the occasional glances they shared suggested to Jack that this had been a trial and that the dangers of the frozen land would be as nothing compared with the hassles of dealing with the press sharks.

Jack, heading downstairs, considers whether to take another run at getting Moore to absolve him of some of the tedium of the expedition preparation when he notices Graves's pensive look. Curious, Jack joins the knot around the professor.

After listening to Graves, Jack says, "Well, I'm nosy enough, and concerned enough, but Moore has us all on a short leash. And, as Starkweather was kind enough to remind me, we are--or at least I am--in a delicate spot. I can probably be more easily replaced than any of you, quite frankly."

Jack sighs. "But it seems something needs to be done. Have we ruled out approaching Moore? I can tell you from experience that Starkweather is unlikely to say much, or at least what we want to hear."

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:13 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean raises a curious brow at the entire situation. Eventually the weight of the issue reaches him. He then begins to think over Graves mention of the numerous problems and it hits him too that perhaps something is being hidden.

"I will surely accompany you Mr. Graves"

Sean Also begins to ponder...

Could such dangers really be true? If so what dangers could possibly lay waiting in the cold south of the world? Could someone just be trying to spook us into not going? Lexington? No time to lose your wits, best see it all through first

this is were i came in

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:46 pm
by Steerpike
The hotel lobby doors swing open allowing a group of men to come wandering in. 4 of the men are laughing quite loudly at some story being told by the fifth.

McRaven shakes his head at the story by DeWitt, but cannot help but laugh. Out of the corner of his eye he spies a group of his colleagues all gathered round the proffessor. He has to think a while to recall the guys name...Graves!

Although he has problems placing names to some of the faces still, he recognises the look on the academics face. Something is clearly up.

He tells his fellow pilots he'll catch up with them later and saunters over to the closely huddled group.

"Whats up boys. Starkweather got you checking boxes of widgets and rivets now?"

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:38 am
by Raiko
The letter that Graves has just read seems strangely familiar to Callum. He remembers a similar passage in Lawrence’s diary. Perhaps he could look it up later.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:32 pm
by Ghost_1971
Before the investigators all disappear for the day, on their respective tasks, Callum quickly runs up to his room for the diary. In the elevator, on the way back down, he scans the worn pages of the small book.

I'm sure I've seen something like Graves' note in here!

Once back in the lobby, Callum makes his way through the throng of people to the Professor. "Professor Graves, take a look at this. You may find it of interest. This is Lawrences diary."

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:44 pm
by Decrepit
While Callum buttonholes Graves, Jack says, "Kitt and I have another damnable press conference at one today. I make it out that that gives us a few hours between now and then to head to the library and do some research. I meant to get there the other day but couldn't. Anyway, if someone can think of a reason to come along, I can try to talk Moore into it. He saw through me yesterday, but maybe he'll be even more distracted today, or maybe I'll be more glib.

"Maybe for an interview?"

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:45 pm
by Charles Graves
"Thank you Sean, your help is very much appriciated and Jack any time you are are able to escape from the press conferences your detective skills will be invaluable."

Graves looks over to Callum as he hurries across the lobby clutching the diary.

"Ah, yes old chap I see what you mean, all this talk about dreams and the fact that our expedition doesn't just put our lives at risk but the whole world. Whatever does all this mean?" Deep in thought he closes the book and hands it back to Callum.

"We haven't much time to investigate so we must use what little we have very wisely. Can anyone think of any leads we may look into while we are still in the States, other than the library?"

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:12 am
by Raiko
The diary that Callum hands to Graves is open at the final two pages that the daed engineer wrote, about a week before the formal dinner.

Viewed before, they seemed to be merely the final cracking of a madman plagued by insane dreams.

But the similarity with the handwritten note (written in a hand that is obviously not Lawrence's) is remarkable, how can this be?
Lawrence wrote:
Friday August 18th 1933.

I saw It today, he must be stopped the fool, they must allll b e stopped
Finally I pass passsed beyond those damnable mountains those awful terrible mountains

DO I DREAM?

No

No I see it still, dreaming not me

Behind cold ancient walls of ice and time

The fools they will all dead die they cannot

Cannot not live

beftter thaty if
it is my hand

STARKWEATHEERSTARKWEATHHERSTARKWEATHER

DO I DREAM?

HOW CAN I SAY!

What are dreams anyway?

Starkweather you will die
to save this world you must be sacrificed

Lawrence wrote:
Saturday 19th August 1933.

IT IS DONE.
I MUST WAIT A WHILE FOR THE INSTRUMENT OF JUDGEMENT.
I WENT THERE AGAIN LAST NIGHT AS THE OTHERS SLEPT
THOSE PITIFUL FOOLISH IDIOTS
I KNOW NOW THAT I DO NOT DREAM AS I STAND BEYOND THOSE CURSED PEAKS
I SHALL WRITE NO MORE, BUT SPEND THESE DAYS IN MEDITATION
PREPARING MY BODY AND MY MIND
FOR I AM THE HAND OF JUDGEMENT

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:06 am
by Henrik
"I'll accompany you as well, professor. So you visited Arkham? By a chance I phoned and spoke with professor Pabodie. I had some questions about the drill of his, but mostly I was curious. Why wasn't Pabodie a member of this expedition? He only answered that he never would return to Antarctica. He seemed agitated and did not want to continue our chat after that. Did you by any chance happen to visit him?"

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:57 pm
by Decrepit
"Ah, so that's what got Pabodie so skittish," Jack says. "Oh, well. He probably wouldn't have talked to us anyway, just showing up at his door and all.

"As far as leads go, there seem to be, first, the library, second, Moore himself, who seems to know things we need to know, and, third, the mysterious person handing us notes, though I don't know how we're going to find him."

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:11 pm
by Ghost_1971
"I'll come along with you too, Professor. I'm finding all this 'Cloak and Dagger' stuff very intruiging. And right now, I believe Moore cant really stop us going off and following our leads. At this late stage, he would find it near impossible to replace us, and there is no way on earth Starkweather would postpone the expedition. What with Miss Lexington throwing a rather large spanner in the works. So if we stick together, we can do just about anything we like."

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:26 am
by Raiko
“Starkweather has already put his pride before our safety. He will send you home, even if you cannot be replaced.”

The Sorensen brothers are stood amongst the group gathered around Graves, and this is the longest speech that anyone has ever heard from Nils, “He is a fool to move the schedule forward, there may not be time to check everything. Too many mistakes have been made, maybe it is the work of the Lexington woman, as Starkweather suspects.”

“But Graves is right someone must look into these events. I return to the ship though.”

For once it is Gunnar who stands silently.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:22 am
by Decrepit
"Well, I'm off to the library," Jack says. "It'd be no problem for Kitt to come, as long as we get a move on. If anyone else wants to come, I can try to talk Moore into it, or that person can. Either way, time's a wastin'."

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:20 am
by Henrik
"After I phoned Professor Dyer, I went to the room of Moore and asked him if he knew more of the matter. According to him Moore had asked if Dyer would want to come along. I got the feeling that Moore wanted to tell me something more, but he got hesitant and chose not to tell me. Moore definitely knows more about the old expedition than he seems to."

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:15 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves ponders the situation for a moment. "If I may make a suggestion. In the short time I have known you Jack you have struck me as a man with what the Irish would call 'the gift of the gab' and I think that is exactly what we need in the person that should talk to Moore. I on the other hand have spent much of my life in dusty libraries and feel I would be of more use amongst the books. Would you mind having the delicate chat with to the Professor to see if you can find out what he knows."

Heres a wild idea!

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:58 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven has been rattled by the news of the letter, and the similarity of the phrases. He realises that they need to know what the hell is going on, now McRaven is no bookworm, oh sure he knows the way around a tecnical manual, but thats about it. As for tackling moore, that clearly needs some used to getting people talking....but He realises that they also need to know who wrote this new note.

"Listen guys, this all well and good. Check out the books, even give Moore the third degree, but we need to get a handle on our note writer...and I may have a suggestion there. The captain of the Arkham, Capt Douglas, He's joining the our expedition right?...He might recognise this writing...so what do you think?"

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:00 pm
by Decrepit
"Well, if all of you think that it's a good idea for me to talk to Moore, I'd be willing to try," Jack says.

"I'm headed off to the library first, though, before the whole morning's gone. I'd like to try to dig up some more information with which to present--or confront--Moore. I hear Moore's already at the docks, so I might as well catch up with him a little later.

"I'd like to know more about the note-writer also. How's Douglas going to help with this?"

Grasping at straws

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:15 pm
by Steerpike
"I'm not sure Jack..But he was captain on the Arkham during the original expedition. He would have met and dined with most of those guys who went out there. He would have seen and heard signals and radio transmissions. He would have been there when the team came back."

"Going by that new letter, Whoever is writing them was a member of that team...I'm sure of it."

"He may recognise the man from his writing, or a description of the man who the delivered the letter, assuming he was the letter writer."

Mcraven looks each of the men in the eye, holding their gaze for a few seconds before moving on.

"I think it could be important. Whoever it is, means us harm, and they might not do us the courtesy of sending another note...so what do you think?"

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 am
by OrionUK
James has been a little quiet due to the severity of what is in the note. "To avoid us all going off together at once & causing concern to the expedition leaders I will volunteer to head back to the docks to carry on with some of the work and will try to ascertain any information from Moore regarding this if you like?"

James usually is quite good at getting conversations going without appearing bolshy or threatening due to the social skills required for English University survivial.

"I can help question him with Jack, in a manner that will just seem inquisitive, as a co-financier of the trip once Jack returns from the library"

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:21 pm
by Raiko
"I will continue checking the lists for now," says Gunnar turning to leave with his brother.

Before he departs he speaks to Professor Graves, "Professor, you said that you were concerned for your safety. You will obviously be ok at the library today, but if you need protection in the future you need only ask me and Nils and we will be there for you."

With that he turns and follows Nils out of the hotel lobby.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:27 pm
by Charles Graves
"That is a very kind offer, thank you Gunnar"

"I'm going to speak with Starkweather, say I have to read up on a radical new treatment for Hypothermia or something at the library. I don't like this deception but I think it is the only way. Anyone else coming along to get his permission?"

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:31 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean nods to Graves

"Absolutely, i'm curious myself"

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:02 pm
by Henrik
"I'll try to be of use to you, professor Graves. I can accompany to Starkweather. Perhaps I need to check up on the geological findings of previous expeditions to Antarctica." Olof smiles wickedly.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:49 am
by Raiko
Starkweather’s Room, Fifth Floor - Amherst Hotel, New York

10:00am – Tuesday 5th September 1933
Graves heads upstairs to find James Starkweather, he is accompanied by Olof, Callum and Sean. The professor manages to convince the Expedition Leader that he will need to spend the some time at the library to research the new medical techniques, and that his companions will be necessary in order to get the research done quickly. Unfortunately Starkweather doesn’t believe that the task will require a full day to complete.

“Very good Professor, excellent idea! As you are aware I’m a great advocate of using all the latest technology and techniques for the expedition. I shouldn’t think that an expert such as yourself would need more than a few hours to find what you need though, particularly with these three gentlemen helping you out.”

“So I’ll expect you back at the Gabrielle sometime after lunch. William is getting most anxious about the departure date, the list of problems on his clipboard is piling up disturbingly quickly. With the first aircraft arriving tomorrow we simply must get on top of the outstanding jobs, I will not allow that Lexington woman to beat us to the ice!”

The English captain realizes that he’s in danger of loosing his composure again, and quickly ushers the investigators out of his hotel room cum office, “Well you’d best be going gentlemen, time stands still for no man and all that. And I must be off myself I got the arrangements to make for the lunchtime press conference.”

“Professor let me know later how your research went, I’m most interested to hear about the new techniques.”

Wasting no time the four investigators follow Jack, Kitt and McRaven to the Public Library.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:52 am
by Raiko
New York Public Library, New York
Morning - Tuesday 5th September 1933

At the library the investigators work as quickly as they can to gather evidence concerning the unusual events that surround both this expedition and its 1930 predecessor.

Continuing his investigation of Danforth the disturbed survivor of the 1930 Expedition Graves learns that upon his return from Antarctica Danforth was admitted to New York’s main mental asylum – Society of the New York Hospital, Bloomingdale in Westchester Country some miles to the north of the Bronx.

Callum is attempting to find more information linking Starkweather and Acacia Lexington, he cannot find anything concrete, but he does find that several society pages suggested that a romantic connection existed between the dashing English captain and the glamorous young heiress.

Jack also searches in vain for more information about the animosity between the two rival leaders. He finds that many of Starkweather’s expeditions have been marred by the same kind of organizational mismanagement as this expedition seems to be suffering. These rumours are no more than Jack had already discovered in his preliminary researches before joining the Expedition , but in the library he discovers a little known monograph “Across the Great Sandy Desert” by an undergraduate Mark Peabody. In the monograph Peabody describes a five month expedition to cross some 1,200 miles of Australian desert, from the Great Sandy Desert to the Great Victoria Desert. The expedition was commissioned by the Chandler Foundation, in conjunction with the University of California, and was lead by one Captain James Starkweather.

While the expedition began well, the group did not find the hoped-for wells or springs in the Great Victoria Desert south of Limejuice Camp. By the time Madura was reached, in Southern Australia, all of the camels had been killed, and the party had been without water for two full days. Peabody alleges that this was all the fault of the expedition leader. However the press of the time preferred to accept Starkweather’s version of events, he claimed that it was his leadership and self-sacrifice that allowed the party to survive. Peabody’s monograph appears to have been largely ignored.

The other investigators: Sean, Kitt, McRaven and Olof all have less luck with their researches, uncovering only information that is already known to them.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:28 am
by Raiko
The Lobby - Amherst Hotel, New York

01:20pm – Tuesday 5th September 1933

When he arrives back at the Amherst with Kitt for Starkweather’s 1:30 press conference Jack finds that a small package is waiting for him at the reception desk. Openning it he finds that it contains copies of various articles about Aciacia Lexington taken from the Daily News’ press morgues.
Jack,

Here’s a selection of b/grnd info on Acacia L.
Sorry couldn’t find any more linking to J.S.

Danny.

There are a large number of articles present, Acacia appears in society pages throughout her youth and young adulthood (ca. 1914-1922). Since then, most mentions of her have been mentioned in the business sections of the larger papers, especially the Wall Street Journal. Five of the articles in particular stand out.

The first "Lexington's Fairy Child" May 16th, 1918 details Acacia's social debut in glowing and exhaustive detail, including three paragraphs describing her gown.

The other four all concern the death of Acacia’s father Percival Woodrow Lexington, and her inheritance.
Lexington Tragedy
23rd July 1921

New York (AP) – A shocking scene greeted police at the P. W. Lexington mansion on Fifth Avenue today. They came to investigate what appears to be the death of one of New York City's greatest industrialists at his own hand. Percival Woodrow Lexington was discovered in his study dead from a gunshot wound to the head. Police initially suspected foul play from the dishevelled nature of the study.

"But there are obvious powder burns on his head and right hand," said Police Detective Ronald O'Meira. "That coupled with the position of the body and gun lead us more toward a
self-inflicted wound than foul play."

But his daughter Acacia does not agree. "Daddy wouldn't kill himself. These buffoons are looking for an easy answer to keep from doing any real work," the distraught young woman said. "I vow I'll find my father's killers and make them pay."

Meanwhile an anonymous Wall Street source has hinted that the Lexington fortunes were severely over-extended. The sky in New York society has grown dimmer this evening and the murky surroundings of this death surely spur further inquiry.

Rare Manuscript Linked To Lexington Death
24th July 1921

(Special) – A notice from the estate of Percival Lexington warns rare book dealers to watch out for a missing manuscript that could be linked to foul play in Lexington's recent death.

An extremely valuable and rare galley proof of the Edgar Allen Poe book The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym has been reported missing from Lexington's study where his body was found yesterday. "Robbery would be a motive for murder," said police detective Ronald O'Meira. "But the physical evidence points to a different conclusion. The book may show up in a few days. It's very difficult for most families to accept the loss of a loved one in this way."

Issuing the notice was daughter Acacia Lexington who previously raised suspicions of foul play and a lax attitude by police in investigating this case. "This manuscript is unique. I believe it is involved in my father's death," she said. "This manuscript differs greatly from the published version. I fear some collector has killed for it."

The manuscript was to have been sold in public auction today, along with other rare and valuable items from Percival Lexington's collection. A coroner's report is expected tomorrow. A public service and private family funeral will be held Friday. The public service will be held at St. John the Divine Cathedral at 11 am

Heiress Denies Own Tale Of Murder
26th July 1921

New York (AP) - A startling retraction came today from the daughter of the late industrialist Percival Lexington. Just days after she claimed foul play and police mishandling of the case, Acacia Lexington delivered a very different story after her father's funeral. "With the coroner's report and the physical evidence I have no choice but to face the facts about my father's death," Miss Lexington said.

Earlier this week Lexington claimed that her father’s death was linked to the disappearance of a rare manuscript he kept in the study where his body was found.

"I believe that book is still in my father's library," Miss Lexington said when asked about her earlier claim. "I haven't finished cataloguing the contents of the house to see if anything is missing. When it is done I'm sure we'll find the book."

"We know this is a hard time for Miss Lexington," said police detective Ronald O’Meara who investigated the Lexington suicide. "Any suggestions she made earlier were obviously the result of the strain of the situation," O’Meara said.

Percival Lexington was eulogized by several business leaders including fellow industrialist John D. Rockefeller and esteemed banker John Pierpont Morgan. He was laid to rest in a private ceremony at the family’s estate in Suffolk County.

Lexington's last will and testament will be read at his attorney's next Wednesday. It is expected that his daughter Acacia will be his sole beneficiary. Questions still remain as to who will run the Lexington enterprises for this young woman.

The final article "The Young Lady Takes Charge" Dated November 3rd 1921 is taken from the pages of the N.Y. Times. In the business section, the long article discusses Acacia Lexington's assumption of her father's business affairs after his death. It is very condescending, suggesting that Acacia should:
“either marry or find a capable and steady man of business to manage the vast fortune. A woman should never try to dabble in the affairs of commerce. Nature has granted her a high place in the scheme of things, a place that man can not usurp; in return she should not attempt to claim a position for which she is by nature unfit."

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:05 pm
by Raiko
Pier 74, New York
03:30pm, Tuesday 5th September, 1933

Having worked hard for a few more hours checking the cargo inventories James approaches Moore. The overworked professor is clutching his now famous clipboard and directing some of the stevedores as they load another set of crates into the #3 tween deck hold.

Seeing the young Englishman approaching Moore smiles and says, “Hello James, can I help you?”

James explains that he’d like a private word with the professor regarding the current situation, and Moore reluctantly agrees that he can spare a little time, “But only five minutes mind you, there is still far too much to be done, as you know only too well.”

Once they are in a quite corner James gently presses Moore for anything that he knows regarding the earlier Miskatonic Expedition, explaining about the note that Professor Graves received that morning.

Moore doesn’t take the letter very seriously explaining that both he and Starkweather have received several threatening letters from “all kinds of nutcases.” However James is lucky, for Moore’s opinion of him has been boosted by the hard work that he has put in with the cargo lists, “You could easily have hidden behind your privileged position, but instead you chose to get stuck in, very commendable I think.”

“You are a good man, so I will tell you what I know, it is maddeningly lacking in important details as you will hear, but I will let you make up your own mind.”

The professor pauses for a moment collecting his thoughts before beginning his story, “As a member of the Miskatonic Faculty, I knew many of the Miskatonic party quite well. Lake and Dyer were good friends, Atwood and Pabodie familiar faces from the faculty lounge, and several of the graduate students attended my lectures at one time or another, including poor missing Gedney. The great tragedy concerns still concerns me.”

“I was at the university all through the time the expedition was away. I read the papers, I listened to the broadcasts and I was as excited and fascinated by the finds as anyone at the school. When disaster struck I was so worried; when news of the deaths came, I was devastated. And when the battered remnants of the party returned to Boston Harbour I was there to greet them as they came off the boats.”

“I only saw the Danforth boy once afterwards, coming off the ship. He did not look at all well , and they took him to a hospital straight away. A total breakdown we were told. He was in the, ah, instituation for nearly a year before he ran away. Went back to the school, tried to break into the geology department after hours during examinations. A guard ran him off – I don’t know if anyone has seen him since.”

“Pabodie, Sherman, McTighe…” he sighs. “Good men, all of them. After the voyage they were changed. Quieter. Morose. They didn’t talk about the Ice; none of them would say why.”

“My greatest fear is for William Dyer. He was so terribly different when he returned! Dyer used to be a fine speaker, a dedicated scientist, one of the more popular teachers in the department. He was… charismatic, I suppose. After the voyage, we scarcely knew him.”

“All the good humour was gone. He wandered the halls, day and night, returning to his office to write his report. His work suffered, and so did his students. He lost weight, and I do not think he slept well. His eyes had that hollow lacklustre look one used to see sometimes in veterans of the Great War. But that was not all.”

“William and I used to be chum. The ‘Double Bill’ they called us, a few years back.” He smiles, remembering. “After his return it was almost as if he no longer knew me. He would avoid me in the halls – fail to return my calls – be late for meetings – miss engagements – I simply do not know why. There was a horrible sense of guilt about him! As if he were carrying around some horrible sinful secret that aged him visibly by the day.”

“I cornered him once. Demanded to know – to help – but he refused me flatly. He was vicious about it, too. Said things. Hurtful things. Said that I presumed too much, and he didn’t need burdensome friends like that.”

“I told him that he was hurting everyone, not just himself; he said that he was leaving as soon as the report was done. And he did. Signed up for a dig in Montana, then another one in the Yucatan, then one or two more, always far from home.”

“Last December he wrote requesting indefinite leave. We haven’t seen or heard from him since. The only word that I ever received was a short note from Hawaii in March. ‘I am sorry’ is all it said.”

Moore looks James straight in the eye for a moment, “So you see my friend, I have to know what happened down there. What was able to hurt my friend so terribly. And no one alive up here is willing to say.”

There is a last brief pause. “I hope he’s happy, wherever he is. I hope he’s sleeping well.”

He looks at James again, “I know that this poses more questions than it answers James, but this really is all that I know of the other expedition, all that anybody knows except for those who were there. And they won’t speak to you, me or anyone.”

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:32 pm
by Raiko
The Rose Room – The Amherst Hotel, New York
07:00pm – Tuesday 5th September 1933

A very angry James Starkweather stands at the front of the Rose Room, waving a copy of the Post in the air, his face almost purple with rage. Most of the members of the expedition are gathered in the room to eat their evening meal.

A little earlier in the day, Clark had been recalled to the hotel by Starkweather, just as a horde of tabloid journalists had descended upon the security gate of Pier 74. The reasons for all of this became obvious as soon as someone got hold of a copy of the Post.
New York Evening Post wrote: Starkweather Doctor’s Alcohol Shame
Tuesday 5th September 1933

Antarctic Expedition Linked to Prescription Racket!

New York - Investigative reporters from this newspaper today uncovered the prohibition busting shame of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition’s doctor Clark Michaels. Michaels aged 42 of Arkham, Massachusetts regularly makes ‘payment in kind’ to friends and acquaintances in the town by way of illegally falsified prescriptions for medicinal liquor.

The bearded doctor (pictured here making an obscene gesture to reporters outside the Amherst Hotel) is allegedly a heavy drinker himself. Our intrepid investigators visited the seedy Arkham speakeasy that Doctor Michaels frequents. The rogue medic is quite a ‘local hero’ at the underground drinking establishment, but as one regular identified only as Sam said, “We miss our doc, how are the guys meant to get their medicine without him.”

The Post can also exclusively reveal that Michaels falsified his personal details in his application to the expedition; he has not actually practised medicine for over two years.

Neither Michaels nor expedition leaders James Starkweather and William Moore were available for comment. Federal Agents are thought to be considering launching a full investigation into the activities of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition.

Jack soon received a hasty phone call from Patterson, “Hi Jack, have you seen the Post! Jesus those guys will do anything to sell papers! Who the hell gives a damn about Prohibition anymore now anyway, the damn thing will be over by the time you guys get home. Look those idiots are bound to come after you, they’re desperate to match our circulation, and they probably know you went to Arkham with Michaels. So watch your back! You better warn that English guy as well.”

Now Jack and Graves stand with the others in the Rose Room as Starkweather rages. Nobody has seen Clark since he entered Starkweather’s room two hours ago.

“This must not happen again! I like a drink as much as the next man! But it’s the law! This man’s actions have stained the reputation of my expedition, and I will not stand for it! No I will not! Doctor Michaels has left the expedition, effective immediately! One or two of you warned me that you had grave reservations about this, this clown of a man! I wish to God I’d listened! But I’m not the sort to go flying off the handle, so I trusted the man!”

“Well I won’t make the same mistake twice! Anyone, anyone who damages the reputation of this Expedition is gone! As is anyone who shows any other form of disloyalty!”

“Moore! I had enough, you take over!”

Starkweather storms out of the room, slamming the doors behind him.

Fortunately Moore is far calmer than Starkweather, he stands in front of the assembled expedition and says, “Well gentlemen, and Miss Knight, I think that Mr Starkweather has said all that needs to be said. As you can see the Captain is extremely sensitive to the media, so please, please try not to upset any of them.”

“The Captain will hopefully calm down a little later, but recent events are making it very difficult for him. I’ll do my best to ensure that nobody else is removed from the team in this way, but you must help me out, there was nothing that I could do for Doctor Michael under the circumstances.”

“Fortunately there is another doctor who I think would be happy to stand in for Clark, Professor Graves and Callum, if you would be so kind, I’d like you to meet with him tomorrow, to check that both his medical and cold weather experience are up to the task. Doctor Greene was initially rejected in favour of Clark, but under the circumstances I think that Mr Starkweather now regrets his choice.”

Moores gaze lingers over both Graves and Callum, “Gentlemen we cannot afford another mistake, please ensure that Greene is up to the job. Here is his resume, phone him tonight and, it he still wishes to join us, meet him tomorrow.”

“That will be all everybody, lets hope that this will be the last event of this nature to effect our team.”

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:54 pm
by Decrepit
So much had happened so quickly that Jack hardly knew how to take it all in. Oddly enough, leaving town seemed easier and safer than staying, even after all the peculiarities of the preceding days.

Jack would have to write up something about the change in doctors, but he damn well wasn't going to ask Starkweather for a comment. Though he knew it was bad practice, Jack decided just to make up a suitably self-serving and pompous comment from Starkweather explaining the change in personnel. No point in risking a hot lava bath for a little public relations mishap that would soon be forgotten. And if Starkweather didn't like it, he could go hang. He had only himself to blame for people not wanting to approach him. More likely, though, Starkweather would just congratulate him for his time-saving development. Jack could see how bending the rules could bite him later, but there was too much going on now to worry about flexible ethics.

He reviewed what he knew, and what he thought. Lexington and Starkweather had probably had a romantic relationship, one that presumably went sour. This would account for all the heat in Starkweather's response. Lexington had been involved in a curious incident involving her father, first chastising the police then apologizing. What had caused her to change her mind? She seemed strong willed enough not to be easily bullied by some blackmailer, so Jack surmised that it somehow became to Lexington's advanatge to hush up what had really happened. Maybe she found the manuscript herself? Or maybe she just wanted to seize the reins without lot of delay. Jack wasn't sure.

He'd ask Danny to try to see whether this manuscript had ever gone on sale, but he figured that would turn up nothing. It's been a long time since Jack had read any Poe, so he hoped to be able to pick up a copy of the published version of the book.

He also thought he'd try to put in a call to one of his police contacts. He can't remember if he's ever met O'Meira, but maybe someone would be able to fill in some of the gaps in the Lexington story. If he found something, he could always call up Lexington herself on the pretext of doing a story about "the competition." Not much time left, though, he realizes, and he wasn't sure how this was going to help him with the expedition, but his curiosity had been aroused, and he couldn't let this one go so very quickly.