Statement 2a - Godalming Leisure Centre

As a London copper, I’ve seen some pretty weird shit, but even I was taken aback when I learned that magic was actually a thing. Real, proper magic, with spells and everything!

Also, ghosts are real! And vampires, trolls, fairies, river gods… and there’s this whole subculture of weirdos and half-fae… oh, and don’t get me started on talking bloody foxes…

Shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Metropolitan Police secretly know all about this crap. There’s the Special Assessment Unit, run from this posh house called The Folly by a posh Detective Inspector called Nightingale (and his apprentice Peter Grant), that investigates supernatural crimes and other weird bollocks. And it turns out, they’re recruiting…

Moderator: jp1885

BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: Statement 2a - Godalming Leisure Centre

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" Surely the quickest way would be to get his keys from his belongings? Failing that maybe the other officer at the deceaseds home coukd find a spare?" Eli offers up as a suggestion
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Der’s a brick jus’ der,” said Des, pointing to a corner of the building where the mortar had perished and a loose brick sat on the ground. ”Jus’ sayin’… …”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

While you're deciding what to do about the car, please make a Sense Vestigia roll. Oh, and whoever has the lowest Luck out of the three of you, please make a Luck roll.  
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

That'll be me then....  
30%
1d100

60% 1d100
OOC:   Double fail. My sense Vestigia is 30%...not 60%.....unfortunately  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sense Vestigia (60%) 1d100
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Des, slightly distracted whilst eyeing up a suitable rock, is nonetheless able to sense a now familiar vestigia on the surface of the Porsche - the smell of tropical flowers, the feeling of strong sunlight and the chirruping of exotic birds or insects.

A 'beep' of a car horn attracts your attention. You all turn as a police car pulls into the car park and an officer steps out, holding something in a plastic evidence bag,

"DC Dansby? Mr. Venturini? Miss, um, Des? Sergeant Dhillon's asked me to give you this..."

After asking you to sign for it, he hands you the bag, in which lies a set of keys, including one with a Porsche key fob.

"Your colleagues reckoned you might need it," he continues, eyes darting to the rock.

"I'd like to stay to help, but we've got some middle-life crisis geezer pulled over for speeding and he's kicking off, so I'm needed to support."

He nods and, with a friendly wave, heads back to his car.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

While the others stood their gawping, Des took the keys and unlocked the car. Stepping back so the door was between her anything inside, she opened the driver’s door…
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Leo had never been so happy to see someone in his life when the policeman pulled the key out. It took a great deal of will not to run forward and hug the poor guy. "Thank you, officer. You have just saved all three of our careers." The relief in his voice was tangible.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des rolled her eyes. She thought it was more likely that Nightingale would take issue with Leo hugging one of his fellow officers than her putting a brick through the car window.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

The interior of the car is spotlessly clean and uncluttered.

There is little of interest in the glove compartment - a small, unmarked map book, a tub of mints and a dust cloth. There is a USB stick plugged into the car stereo and a Porsche air freshener hanging from the rear-view mirror.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the vestigia you felt on the exterior is considerably weaker than inside the car.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Why would it smell stronger outside ‘is car than inside?” asked Des, with a puzzled look on her face.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"Curious, Des is it strong all the way around the car? Or only a specific part? Maybe we should check the boot and the engine compartment?" Eli said walking slowly around the car.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Des walked around the car in the opposite direction to Eli, trying to get a sense of whether the Vestigia changed. She wasn’t about to admit that she wouldn’t have the first clue how to open the bonnet, but when she got to the boot, she opened it and carefully looked inside…

Sense Vestigia (60%) 1d100

Edit: Hard success. Damn, gurl! U is on fire! 🤣
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Leo also moved around the car with Des, reaching out as he did so, also attempting to experience the vestigia with his colleague and search it.
OOC:   I didn't actually hug him. It says I resisted the urge.  

Sense Vestigia (60/30): 1d100

Searching the Car/Observation (60/30): 1d100

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC:   I know. Des was just reading Leo’s body language through her 17 year old, cynical, world weary mindset… 😬  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Successfully sensing vestigia confirms your findings: the vestigia is stronger on the exterior surface of the Porsche, but barely noticeable inside.

The boot (or trunk, if you're that way inclined) contains a set of jump leads, a bottle of screen wash and an empty plastic shopping bag.

However, while poking around, you come across a small glittery patch in the bottom of the boot, as if some spilled some shimmering liquid which has subsequently dried out. The vestigia is stronger around this patch.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

"If the vestigia you sense is stronger on the outside I wonder if he sprayed the body of the car? I wonder what effect it would have on it?" Eli says stroking his chin as bends down to examine the body work/ boot.
1d100
OOC:   sigh.....one day...,..  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Wassat?” said Des, leaning into the boot for a closer look, even pulling out her phone and clicking on the torch so she could see more clearly.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

DC Leo Dansby.jpg
DC Leo Dansby.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Leo looked over at Eli and nodded. "I was just thinking the same thing about magic and the electronics inside this car. You know, Nightingale said he wasn't aware of a way that a human being could turn invisible that wouldn't kill them. We may be dealing with a completely new territory here."

Leo slips into the driver's seat and turns the key just far enough to see if the instrumentation lights up.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

" If the presence of magic does fry electronics, it might be interesting to at least try and start the car, aee if things like the radio or anyother electronics are working." suggests Eli.

Return to “Rivers of London”