Strathmorn (everyone)

A brutal murder has taken place in the small Highland village of Strathmorn. The accused claims that the ghosts from a local haunted manor are to blame!

Piqued by the alleged supernatural angle to the case, renowned Psychical Researcher, Harry Price, is seeking a team of responsible persons ‘of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical and unbiased’ to investigate the haunting.

Doesn’t that just sound like the sort of thing you’ve been looking for?

Moderator: Philulhu

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: Strathmorn (everyone)

Post by Philulhu »

By all means.
BoyBlunder78
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 1 year 8 months

Post by BoyBlunder78 »

Listen:24 :lol:
1d100
Nearly a hard....sooo close
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

If Dr Douglas hadn’t been born in a village, he’d have been faintly horrified to hear the fairly graphic descriptions of udder edema, mastitis and other ailments and injuries that passed for casual chat among the farming folk. As it was, it merely reminded him of listening to the farmhands who had worked the farms near his childhood home, who always seemed have have ever more gruesome stories to upset the younger Ruairi.

His attention was drawn however, to a large, rawboned man sat at the end of the bar. He’d been in as soon as the doors had opened and he was onto his third pint already. A newcomer to the bar addressed him as ‘Willie’ and asked how he was getting on. ”Aye, ye ken. It’s just no the same since Donald wus killed,” was the man’s reply.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Happy with his dinner (and easily pleased), Ascot attempts to be politely sociable with the locals.

OOC:   Is there a dart board against a wall somewhere in the pub? Is there is, Ascot will politely ask if any local will play him.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Aye, I’ll gi’ ye a game,” said one of the locals, an older man with greying, monkish hair that joined the beard that wreathed his chin.

Let’s have a DEX check and see how well you do…
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

OOC:   I was hoping to use Ascot's Throw skill instead...?  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Sure, no problem.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"If I lose, I'll buy you a drink. Not that I believe in gambling, of course." With that, Ascot takes the darts and gives it his all...

1d%H40%
OOC:   So near, but not quite.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bonnie can't quite make out the words.

You do have the option of spending 2 Luck, if you think it's worth it.

Listen roll (40% skill) to overhear the conversation:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Father Ó Shaban satisfied with eating and not one to overhear conversations inapropiately, talked to the scottish laddie that he had paid to accompany him.

"Well, good combanion. What do you zink of all of zis? Ghosts, demons, a tigerr, ze man in jail orr african witchcraft? A lot of bosibilities, yes?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Throw (60%) 1d100

Ascot was pleased to see that two of his darts hit the dartboard but the last one hit the guard, bounced off and landed on the floor near his foot. The locals tried not to laugh too much as his score of 17 was called before his opponent took his turn. He threw three darts for 170 - two treble 20s and a bulleye - and turned and winked at Ascot, who very much got the impression that he’d forgone the last treble 20, just to show off…

Hamish ruminated on Father Ó Shaban’s question for a long moment. ”I dinnae ken about ghosts but I saw a tiger in a zoo once,” he said soberly. ”My ma said they’re wild animals and she showed me where they live on a map. It wasnae anywhere near here, so I think we’re safe.”

The man at the bar to whom Dr Douglas and Bonnie were trying to listen, finished his third pint and ordered a fourth.
Joajackson
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Joajackson »

Philulhu wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:14 pm
Throw (60%) 1d100

Ascot was pleased to see that two of his darts hit the dartboard but the last one hit the guard, bounced off and landed on the floor near his foot. The locals tried not to laugh too much as his score of 17 was called before his opponent took his turn. He threw three darts for 170 - two treble 20s and a bulleye - and turned and winked at Ascot, who very much got the impression that he’d forgone the last treble 20, just to show off…

Hamish ruminated on Father Ó Shaban’s question for a long moment. ”I dinnae ken about ghosts but I saw a tiger in a zoo once,” he said soberly. ”My ma said they’re wild animals and she showed me where they live on a map. It wasnae anywhere near here, so I think we’re safe.”

The man at the bar to whom Dr Douglas and Bonnie were trying to listen, finished his third pint and ordered a fourth.
"Well... I don't know what I expected. Tomorrow we shall continue ze investigation. Hamish boy, be carreful, strange zings could happen at night."

And with that the, presuming there where not any extra stuff that it was available, the father departed to his room.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Ascot gives an amazed laugh at his opponent's championship level effort. "Sir, I could not hope to beat such marksmanship. I shall know better than to challenge a Scotsman to darts in the future. Now, may I buy you a drink?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

The older man laughed and said, ”I’ll take a whiskey, cheers.” He continued to throw his darts while Ascot fetched his drink from the bar.

”Thank ye kindly,” he said when Ascot returned. He raised the whiskey in salute and said, Alec Graham, Inverness-shire amateur darts champion from 1899 to 1904…”
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

"Ha!" Ascot barks a laugh. "I have been bested by a worthy opponent then."

"Hugo Ascot, British Rhodesian big game hunter, pleased to make your acquaintance."
He raises his own glass in toast.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bonnie applauds the excellent skill of Alec Graham, but she knows better than to open her mouth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Big game, eh? His lordship’s got a few stags on his grounds but ye’ll no find much else up here,” Graham replied with a grin. He looked at Ascot then Dr Douglas, Bonnie and Hamish.

”Here on yer holidays, are ye?” he asked, with a shrewd look in his eye.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Philulhu wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:00 am ”Here on yer holidays, are ye?” he asked, with a shrewd look in his eye.

Ascot shakes his head and takes a deep breath.

"We're not on holiday but nor are we working. In truth, we're volunteers. We're doing research for a society down south." Ascot pokes his thumb in the approximate direction of London.

"This is a society of sceptics and it wants us to disprove the rumours that the terrible murder here was caused by ghosts or devils or the like. But in a dignified manner for this village that has suffered. Nothing for the papers, I assure you."

Ascot ticks off what he knows on meaty fingers. "Everyone seems to agree that no one here abouts has brought home some wild predator pet from Africa or the likes, so that's ruled out."

"My colleagues have spoken to the lad accused of the crime and have doubts he had the strength to do such harm."

"And finally, we hear that the poor boy who was killed may have been poaching at the time. For which he paid a terrible price."

"So I don't know that we have any proof of anything yet. Where I come from, for the tribes, magic, ghosts, devils and monsters are still very real, so nothing is ruled out."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Oh, aye?” Graham studied Ascot for a long moment then picked up his darts again. He took his place at the oche and started to throw, speaking quietly out of the side of his mouth. ”It’s a bad business and naebody seems to know what’s going on. I didnae see Donald’s body but I heard he was in a bad way. And aye, he was one of Jock Thomson’s bairns… ye ken? He had a knack for happening upon a coney or a grouse, or even a nice bit of venison when he was taking the night air with Willie over there…” Gordon glanced at the bar, then back at Ascot to see if his meaning was understood.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Bonnie looks at the man at the bar, presumably Willie, to see how he reacts.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Horror on the Glen”