Page 1 of 1

Calamity city

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:53 pm
by kabukiman
24 houres latter…

You all have been crammed in a locomotive for about 6 hours. Captain Malcom wasn’t very satisfied that to get the ore, he needed to go make a detour in the north to solve the strike, so he decide that Mary and Ota (both in charge) with two new guys that he just hired would go (he went with Kathy to solve the other problem with the Tcherenko brothers). The nephew of Picked (a certain Abe) was also there (to everyone surprise, he was much older than everyone thought).
It is hot, and the door is automatically closed. The landscape is monotonous: plains with grass for miles and miles with an occasional farm and small villages. Finally, a warning that in 10 minutes you will arrive: the landscape here is even worst, just barren land...

Re: Calamity city

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:35 pm
by jp1885

Former 1st Officer Jacob Abe's head jerks up as the ten minute warning sounds. Almost by instinct, the would-be merchant-prince's hand reaches down to grab the holdall stashed between his feet before his conscious mind even registers the fact that he is awake.

Reassured by the bulk of the laser carbine within said holdall and the initial panic subsiding, he grunts with satisfaction. Eyes rheumy with sleep, he scans his new companions. Not the most inspiring crew he'd ever worked with, he reckons, silently cursing that old fox Picker for calling in yet another family favour.

"Still, I've travelled with worse I guess..." he mutters, realising too late that he's speaking out loud.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:30 am
by Philulhu
Ota bristled at the comment. ”You’re the nephew of someone who thinks he’s important,” he snapped, aggrieved at this jumped up kid - well, obviously not a kid, given his age - but jumped up, all the same. ”You got this job because someone pulled some strings. From my experience, those kinda people don’t do so well when things start getting tasty, if you get my drift?!”

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Likewise," says Mary in response to Jacob Abe. "I'm Mary Tanaka, the pilot."

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:44 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke is looking quite dapper in a cream sweater, dark blue jacket and dark blue cargos. A not-quite-uniform. He is studying a print-out of a global map of the planet and also trying to update himself on system local news and affairs.

He casts a quick eye at his new crew-mates. "I'm sure everyone will have their moment to shine," he says with a wry smile.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:26 am
by jp1885

Jacob responds to Ota first. Typical ex-military, he decides: bitter at his discharge but still yearning for a regimental life. He knew the type well.

“Well, let’s hope things don’t get ‘tasty’, and we don’t have to find out, eh soldier? As for pulling strings… I know full well how important my uncle thinks he is, and rest assured the asshole’s pulling my strings more than he’s pulling yours.”

He then turns to Rourke. Ex-navy maybe? Even in such casual attire, the guy had a nautical air about him.

“I’ve had to shine once too often my friend,” he replies with a smirk.

Lastly, he nods in greeting to the girl. A tough-looking character: a flyboy eh? Ex-marine? Ganger? Either way, someone more than capable of ‘shining’ if things did get tasty.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance. I’m Jacob: merchant and, evidently, spoiled nephew.”

“I’ll be honest with you: I’m only here ‘cos a few too many deals went sour. What brings you guys to such a salubrious hole?”

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, the usual," says Mary. "Find a crew, find a job, keep flyin'. We sold a load of spices here, and we're planning to buy a load of ore with the proceeds - once we make sure the ore gets moving again. Then it's off to another planet to sell it for a profit. Wash, rinse, repeat. You know the drill. You look like you've been a merchant longer than I've been alive."

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:15 am
by Philulhu
Ota didn’t say that he was only planning to be with the crew until something better came along. He didn’t think the army would come calling again but perhaps a Merc company, one looking for strong leadership? Or a security outfit looking for a senior officer with plenty of experience?

”I’m here to make sure they don’t get their tails shot off,” was his short reply.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:31 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke looks up again and focuses on Jacob. "I'm just a spacer, happy to work my passage to the more active trade routes. Getting out of this system has proved to be more of a problem than I expected though."

He straightens and neatly re-folds the map printout, and goes back to studying it while listening to planetary news reports from an ear-plug.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:22 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto gets up from having been half-asleep on one of the hard wooden benches serving as seats in the locomotive and brushes off some non existing dust from his jacket. He produces a metal cylinder and pops out two yellow pills and downs them with a grimace. "Hiroto, at your service, should you need service, now or later." He drowsily checks the car passengers out, A merch, a space jockey and two guns for hire. They´d sure will need services soon enough.... "Well, I sure bet on the wrong horse a couple of times to many. Guess, I, like the lot of you, will live to die in another parsec." He gets up and looks out the array of windows. "Bleak, man. Just bleak."

Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
Ota frowned. He recognised the benefits that certain drugs could bring in sharpening the senses or prolonging endurance, but Hiroto seemed to be popping them like candy. He marked him down as unreliable and went back to field stripping his rifle and sidearm.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:55 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke pauses, puts the map down neatly and studies Hiroto. "Will live to die in another parsec," he says slowly. "Will live to die in another parsec?"

"I'm sorry, what does that mean? That we will all survive this planet but we can expect to die once we're outside this system? Or that we actually hope to die, but die outside this system?"

"This planet seems sufficiently dangerous that some or all of us may die right here. And I hope none of us is hoping to die."

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:06 am
by jp1885

“I’ll drink to that,” says Jacob, eyeing up the pill-popping medic and hoping that he won’t need his services.

He turns to survey the depressing view that rattles past.

“What a dump…”

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:27 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto tilts his head slightly. "Just vitamines, man. All pharmaceuticals are´nt drugs you know. But I feel your reluctance to trust anything I say. We´re all newcomers here." He flips the metal tube at Jacob. The lable says Calciferols.
"Artificial sunshine, my friend." He taps the window. "Back on Terra, they used to say - Live to fight another day. I like to think I´ll live to see onother parsec, That takes the metric from time to distance. I care to think I have more miles than days ahead of me. Just a way of looking on life, I guess."

Hiroto realizes he has failed keeping his mouth closed with the new crew. He clenches his fists and double bumps the window. "No time to think back." He takes his seat once again and relaxes his bones.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Everybody dies eventually," says Mary. "I guess the idea is to put it off as long as possible."

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:15 am
by Philulhu
”Well, thanks everyone for that morale-boosting chat,” said Ota, sarcastically. ”We’ll be there soon so let’s just get our shit together and enjoy the last few minutes in quiet contemplation, shall we?”

‘Burnt out spacers and civilians? Damn…’

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:35 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke regards Ota slightly sceptically. "Errm, right." He sticks the earphone back in his ear and resumes examining the map printouts.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:07 pm
by jp1885

“I admire your optimism my friend,” Jacob mutters as he hands the tube of vitamins back to Hiroto.

“Let’s hope the miners at Calamity are just as optimistic. I don’t know why they’re withholding the goods, but it must be something considerable; it’s their livelihood after all.”

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:07 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"So, Mary and Ota, what is our plan of action? Find intel and make a plan after that? Or do we know where the people holding up the flow of commerce are, and do we know why? At this point it feels like we are tourists here."

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:08 pm
by Philulhu
”Reconnoitre first, determine the enemy’s strengths and then plan our attack,” replied Ota, briskly. ”We’ll have this sorted and be on our way again in no time.”

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"What he said," says Mary, "but it may take a little longer than no time."

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:46 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke looks up from his maps. "Recon, by all means. We gather the intel we need. But surely there might be better solutions to the problem than attacking the miners?"

"Miners who actually agree to go back to work are going to be much more productive in the long run than miners working at gunpoint."

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:57 am
by Dave Syrinx

"So, get the lay of the land and adapt accordingly." He nods affirmatively and gives a thumbs up. Hiroto brings up a crude PDA from a pocket in his cargo pants. Syncs with the, should there be one, network and tries to obtain some kind of live news feed.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:57 pm
by kabukiman
You feel that the locomotive is reducing the speed until it finally stop: suddenly you hear the warning that you arrived at the place and the door opens.
You get outside: one the left side of the line, there is the station (a small building), several warehouses, and a central street that goes in direction of the town. On the right side there is only barren land. What you notice as soon as you get outside is the silence. Besides the wind, you don't hear any other sound.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:06 pm
by jp1885

“No reception committee? I’m disappointed,” Jacob mutters as he alights.

He scans the platform, looking for signs of life.

“Are the porters on strike too? Let’s find out.”

Shouldering his hold-all, he heads to the small station building.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:27 pm
by Philulhu
Ota stepped down onto the platform and looked around. The silence was disquieting. Even in a back-of-beyond hick town you’d expect to see somebody… He didn’t say anything but just carefully unbuttoned his holster, just in case…

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

Mary looks around for any kind of movement or life on the way to the station.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:52 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

"You'd expect someone would be here to collect freight at least. Somewhere this far out, the arrival of the train should be of some interest."

Rourke heads towards the Station. "I wonder if there's someone like a Station Master?"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:40 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Stepping out last of the bunch, Hiroto leaves the locomotive and trails after the others towards the station building. He checks if anyone else got off the train after them. He only has what small trinkets he can carry upon his person.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:31 am
by kabukiman
The station is empty. There is a small office that says "personnel only", but the door is open, like if somebody left in a hurry.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 am
by Philulhu
With his hand on the butt of his pistol, Ota approached the door, pushing it open so he could see into the office behind. ”Anyone in here?!” he barked.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:37 am
by jp1885

Once Ota has checked that everything is safe, Jacob looks around for any useful paperwork.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:51 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

"Is there a computer terminal of any description I could examine?" Rourke starts looking for just that.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary stays on lookout, keeping an eye open for anyone approaching, though the whole place seems deserted.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:22 am
by kabukiman
There is a computer terminal and lot's of papers. You see also a an old sandwitch full or bugs.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 am
by jp1885

Jacob selects a random pile of paperwork and reads through it.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:07 am
by Philulhu
Ota poked at the sandwich with the barrel of his pistol. How old did the bread look?

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:57 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Something is off here,Hiroto thinks to himself. A major strike and angry miners... Where?

"Do we have a life scan of the area?"

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:16 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke smiles and heads over to the computer terminal. "Finally, something I can get my hands on." Cracking his knuckles, he turns it on and starts searching.

OOC:   Can Rourke make a Computer roll?  

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:24 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:16 am Rourke:

Rourke smiles and heads over to the computer terminal. "Finally, something I can get my hands on." Cracking his knuckles, he turns it on and starts searching.

OOC:   Can Rourke make a Computer roll?  
OOC: yes he can.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:25 am
by kabukiman
The bread seems about 2 or 3 days.
You don't scann any lifeform in the immediate zone.

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:55 am
by Philulhu

”It doesn’t look like anyone’s been here in at least 24 hours,” said Ota. ”Get that computer working. I’m going to take a look around.”

Is there just the office? Any living accommodation?

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:47 pm
by jp1885

Jacob lets the paperwork drop onto the desk.

“Nothing here I guess.”

He turns to Ota and Rourke.

“I’m not the greatest computer expert, but I know a thing or two about electronics if you need help.”

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:40 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke looks at the departing figure of Ota with exasperation but shakes his head. Looking over to Jacob, he says, "Thank you, much appreciated. I'll give it a try first and see how I get on but if I can't get it to start, your skills might be called for."

2d6+2p

OOC:   Result of 13.  

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where is everybody?" says Mary. "This place should be as crowded as a... train station."

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:52 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"No life. Odd, right? We should have a bustling hub, here, and protesters, strike breakers, officals and what not. Are we in a time-slip or something? Or are we put in a simulation chamber?" Hiroto stops himself before saying something wildly crazy. He starts to walk back to the tracks and watches the stretch of line in both directions. He also looks for a sign about the next train.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they fled some sort of disaster," says Mary, "but there's no sign of it. I don't think this is a simulation. Feels real to me. The possibility that this is all just a game seems absurd."

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:40 pm Rourke:

Rourke looks at the departing figure of Ota with exasperation but shakes his head. Looking over to Jacob, he says, "Thank you, much appreciated. I'll give it a try first and see how I get on but if I can't get it to start, your skills might be called for."

2d6+2p

OOC:   Result of 13.  
You open the computer and find a kind of diary. Reading the last days, you find the following things of interesr:

6 days ago:
"it seems there will be a great storm in 2 days. Great, we don't work that day!"

5 days ago
"7 AM
The work was normal. I heard a rumor about a missing team of miners and the others are whining because to keep the quota they will have to work extra hours. A rescue team has been sent, but no news for now".
5 PM
"What the hell is happening? All the miners has simply vanished; the police team sent to the mines has vanished too."

4 days ago
"Oh my God, I tried to send a message, but with the storm, all the comunications are cut! I escaped here because it is at the limit of the city and I was with hope that one of the trains would pass here, even if usually none pass with the storm. I saw what they did to Jerry, I prefer to kill myself! If anyone can read this... wait, I think I heard a sound outside. I just hope it is another person and not one of..."

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:45 pm
by jp1885

Peering over Rourke’s shoulder, Jacob frowns.

“Damn… weird… can you access any weather records? Maybe find something about this storm?”

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:15 pm
by kabukiman
Philulhu wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:55 am Image

”It doesn’t look like anyone’s been here in at least 24 hours,” said Ota. ”Get that computer working. I’m going to take a look around.”

Is there just the office? Any living accommodation?
Yes, just the office and waiting room where people awaits for the train when the weather is very bad outside. It's really a small place.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:25 pm
by Philulhu

Ota pushed the door to the waiting room and looked around. Were there any belongings left behind by the people who had been here?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:13 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Hiroto watches back and forth along the tracks. "Hey! Did you find anything? This place is a dead end!"

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 am
by kabukiman
Ota: you can roll Fwd Obsvr at 0 to see if you can see anything

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:26 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke looks at Jacob with concern.

He calls to the others, "Rest of you, come and read this, quick! We may be in danger. There may not be any locals left."

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary hurries over and reads it. "This explains a lot," she says. "They didn't come back from the mines. Maybe the storm stirred up something nearby that took shelter in them. What sorts of animals are native to this part of the planet?"

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 pm
by Philulhu
Forward Observer - 2d6

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:13 am
by kabukiman
Philulhu wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 pm
Forward Observer - 2d6
You don't see anything.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:15 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke continues examining the computer with all his might.

OOC:   Does the computer have any other useful functions? Like a communications link back to the Starport, or a map of the town, access to CCTV even?  

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:33 pm
by kabukiman
You have the first 2; you have just 3 cameras, one to the outside of the station on the trains side (east), another to the waiting room and another to the outside station on the city side (west).

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:51 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto finds himself a bench by the tracks and waits for a sign of life, from any direction. The previous scan had shown no life. What in all worlds were they doing here?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:30 am
by Philulhu

The lack of people was unnerving. Ota unslung his rifle, quietly checking the load and that the safety was off. With his weapon ready, he walked to the main entrance to scan the town beyond.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 pm
by kabukiman
Ota looks at the town. He sees several broken windows and doors opened.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:56 pm
by Philulhu

His eyes peeled for trouble, Ota moved out of the station, closing the gap to the town. He tried to judge how recent the damage was, whether it was fresh or if it appeared to be older.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto spots Ota coming out of the station building and walks towards him.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 pm
by Philulhu

Ota’s eyes flicked in Hiroto’s direction as he approached. ”You see any sign of life?” he said abruptly.

He didn’t wait for the man to answer before he was looking in the direction of the town again.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Why is this place called Calamity City?" Mary wonders aloud. "Has something like this happened in this city's history before? Maybe we should check the archives."

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 am
by Snapper
kabukiman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:33 pm You have the first 2; you have just 3 cameras, one to the outside of the station on the trains side (east), another to the waiting room and another to the outside station on the city side (west).

Rourke:

Rourke attempts to use the computer to send a short, urgent notification to the Starport that everyone in this town has disappeared, apparently as a result of something unknown attacking them. He requests help be sent.

Then he will a attempt to print out a map of the town.

Finally, Rourke double checks the three CCTV cameras that are available to make sure there's nothing odd or dangerous.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:31 am
by kabukiman
Someone answers you from the starport:
"What do you mean everyone disapeared? And who are you? I'm gonna ask of of my supervisors what to do."

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:33 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

"While you're at it, pass the message on to my captain, Mac Malcolm. And get some help to us!"

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:35 pm
by kabukiman
"Who is captain Malcom? Is he from the military? Are you from the army? I'l give that information to my chief."

You get a map of the town and the images of the camera show only Hiroto and Ota and nobody else.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:49 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke sighs. "You do that. Captain Malcolm, ship's captain."

Collecting the map, he heads outside to join the others. "I don't think there's much chance of assistance coming our way anytime soon."

Rourke shows the map to the others. "Is there some local police station or sheriffs office, I wonder? That might be a good place to start. And if there are locals left, you'd think they might be holed up there, or maybe the medical centre, if there is one of those as well."

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, the police station's a good place to start," says Mary, studying the map.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:50 pm
by Philulhu

Ota’s studied the map briefly to get his bearings then said, ”Ok, let’s move out. Keep your eyes peeled and shout out if you see anything.”

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:42 pm
by jp1885

Jacob unpacks his carbine and nods grimly as he slings it over his shoulder.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:26 am
by Dave Syrinx

"Yeah, let´s see the law." Hiroto agrees. Still feels like they went throgh some kind of slip in the fabric of time... "Did you ask about the current galactic time? What if we had a time-slip?" There it is again. Quiet, man..

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:02 pm
by kabukiman
You walk in the silent city. Well, not completly silent: there is the wind and ocasional doors making noises. There were several stores (many liquor stores), and private houses.
After a short walk in the central avenue (10 minutes, specially because you are walking with caution), you see a building in wood that says "Police". It has one upper floor, but the building is completly closed (both the door and windows).

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:42 pm
by jp1885

"Huh. I guess we should knock?"

Jacob saunters over to the police station door and raps his knuckles against it.

"Hello? Anyone there?"

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:41 pm
by Philulhu

Ota stood off to one side of the door, watching the street for any signs of movement, weapon held ready.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:50 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Hiroto watches the houses on the other side of the street as the new arrivals try to rustle up the Police.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary stands on the other side of the door, her own weapon at the ready, and keeps alert to her surroundings.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke joins Jacob. He yells through the door, "Anyone there!? We're a team sent to help! If you can hear us, please open up! We're the good guys!" Rourke gives Jacob a worth a try look.

Rourke takes in the door, looking to see if there's an old-fashioned key-lock, a number pad, or a swipe reader even. Experimentally, he tries the door to see if it's locked.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:35 am
by kabukiman
Everyone roll 2d6.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:34 am
by jp1885

[2, 2] = 4
2d6: [ 2 2 ] = 4

Jacob rolls his eyes at Rourke and steps back to give him free rein.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 am
by Dave Syrinx
Hiroto waits..

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:22 am
by Philulhu
2d6

Edit: I don’t think the dice roller is my friend…

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary has a bad feeling about this.

2d6 roll for some reason:
2d6
I don't think it likes me either...

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:57 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

2d6

OOC:   8  

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:58 pm
by kabukiman
When everyone is calling someone in the building, Rourke notices a lone figure that is passing in a crossroad about 200 meters. He is dressed like a miner, but his clothes are all torn and you cannot see his face. He haven't notice you yet.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:20 am
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke holds up a hand to get his colleagues' attention then points at the stranger. "At least one person is still here."

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary looks in the indicated direction.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:12 am
by Philulhu

Ota swung his rifle up to cover the man. ”You there!” he barked. ”Come here!”

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:05 am
by jp1885

“Way to ingratiate yourself with the locals…” Jacob mutters.

Nonetheless, he quietly readies his own weapon.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:39 pm
by kabukiman
The man turns the head in your direction. You can see he has several wounds in his face, but with paterns, like drawings. A triangle maybe? He makes a face of fury and screams:
"Ia!"
You immediatly hear a voice screaming behind the windows:
"Your fools! You make him call the horde!"

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't do it," says Mary. "Quick, let us in. We'll help you fight them off."

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:45 pm
by jp1885

Jacob looks around, trying to see where the voice was coming from.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:10 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Watching the tattooed man, Hiroto backs up on the pavement towards the police door.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:25 pm
by Philulhu
Ota didn’t hesitate. He lined up the man in his gunsights, took careful aim, and fired.

2d6

Edit: Ho hum… … :evil:

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:36 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   Don't forget to add your skill level in the relevant weapon.  

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:41 pm
by Snapper
Rourke:

Rourke whirls back to the police station. "Let us in, right now, or we start shooting your lock until we can get in ourselves. Lock might not work after that, of course."

OOC:   Rourke is frantically searching the door for a lock or swipe reader or something.  

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:54 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: since you have 4 in rifle + the 4 from the dices, it is a success. Roll the damage please.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
OK, will remember in future.

Damage for an auto rifle is 3d6, so I understand.

3d6

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:16 am
by kabukiman
You hit him and he fall to the ground unconscious. Meanwhile, you hear some noise near the door that opens and you see a men in his 3o's talking very fast:
"Enter quick!".

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:08 pm
by jp1885

Jacob needs no persuading and follows the man’s instructions.

“Hey: what the hell’s going on?” he demands.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:21 pm
by Philulhu

Ota grunted, satisfied with his shot. He kept his aim on the man for a few moments more until he was satisfied that he wasn’t getting up, then lifted his rifle and stepped through the door. Lieutenant Colonel Ota,” he announced himself. ”Who’s in charge here?”

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary scrambles inside and looks around. "Hi, I'm Mary Tanaka," she says.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:28 am
by Snapper

Rourke distinctly winces at Ota's use of the rank and the implication they are here officially, but he says nothing. Instead, he makes sure the door is shut and locked again once they're all inside.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:23 am
by kabukiman
You see a group of 3 men and two women: a xerife (about 50, tall and bald) and his deputy (early twenties), a man dressed in old cloths who seems that never seemed to shave (or take a bath), a women dressed like a hooker and a girl in her early teens. The deputy asks immediatly:
"Are you part of the strike team? Are there more troops?"

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:51 am
by jp1885

“Don’t know anything about a strike team. We just came here on business.”
Jacob replies.

“Perhaps you should tell us what’s going on.”

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nobody in the capital seems to know what happened here," says Mary. "We're here to find out."

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:19 am
by kabukiman
Everyone seems somber when you say that nobody knows what is happeing and the the xerife says:
"Well, it all started some days ago: a team of miners vanished in one corridor. Of course we didn't know anything about that, the company usualy don't give much details unless they need to and I was worried because the news said that a huge storm would hit us. Well, the company send some men looking for them and those vanished too. It was then that we heard about that, the miners were getting too nervous, but they went working anyway. And suddenly there was no miners and we were hit by the storm: it was really huge and we lost all comunications but at the same time the missing miners appeared and they were transformed: they were full of scarifications and behave like a wild bunch killing or dragging people to the mines. As soon as I received some news of what was happening I gathered my men to stop them, but we were too few and we had to run. We found more people but after some casualties we managed to escape to the police station and barricade ourselves. There was a real massacre outside. We have been waiting that someone outside notices that something went wrong and send help since we cannot comunicate."

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:27 pm
by Snapper

"I got the computer in the train station working, and managed to use it to speak to some idiot back at the Starport. But we have no official status here, we're just civilian spacers, and so I had no way to convince him to get the authorities to send help."

"I would expect a request from local law enforcement would carry far more weight."

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could escort you there," says Mary. "Or he might be able to get a computer here working too."

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:56 am
by Philulhu

Ota looked around. ”Where’s your computer?” he demanded.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:21 am
by jp1885

“Are there others here, or are you the only survivors?” Jacob asks.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:52 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto observes the group in the office, especially the sheriff. "Are any of you wounded? I´m a Terran medic and can help you out. Hiroto Yang, at your service, sir."

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:16 am
by kabukiman
"Our computer isn't working. We are all fine, none is injured, thank you. I'm pretty sure there are more survivors in the city, but all scattered. And besides..."
You start hearing a sound. First it seems distant, but latter more clearly. It seems voices, screaming "IA-IA". The rest in not understandable.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better start barricading, fast," says Mary.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:16 pm
by Philulhu

”Upstairs!” snapped Ota. ”We’ll get a better view!”

With his rifle held ready, he looked around for the stairs to the next floor.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:21 am
by Snapper

Completely ignoring Ota, Rourke heads back to the door they all entered through, to check that it is indeed locked again. He tries to keep low and out of sight of anyone looking in through a window from outside.

Then he will help Mary barricading it.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:23 am
by Dave Syrinx

Having no sidearm, Hiroto helps Mary drag and tilt a table in front of the entrance door. Also, he looks for something to jam between the table and a nearby wall, to create an effective stop.

If there´s time, he will try to use as a wedge in the bottom of the door opening. While looking for a wedge, he also is on the lookout for a knife to protect himself with,

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:40 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Anyone else is upstairs besides Ota?

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:03 pm
by Dave Syrinx
OOC: Not Hiroto

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:27 pm
by jp1885

With Mr. Military presumably taking an elevated sniper position, Jacob, being also armed, decides to remain on the ground floor to help shore up defences.

“Does anyone else have a weapon?” he asks. “And is there another way out of here?”

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

I'm barricading, so I'm still downstairs.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:56 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Rourke is busy barricading downstairs and generally ignoring Ota.  

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:19 am
by kabukiman
You finish the barricades just in time of hearing people trying to smash the doors. They are screaming... something.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:50 pm
by jp1885

Barricades completed, Jacob steps back with his carbine readied. He turns to the Sheriff.

"I'll ask you again: is there another way out of this building?"

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary positions herself well back from the doors, her pistol ready.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:11 am
by Snapper

Rourke keeps low and creeps around, looking for a spy-hole that will let him see what's happening outside.

"They don't sound very happy," he mutters.

Rourke looks around for Hiroto and hisses at him, "Doctor Drugs, what could cause normal people to start behaving like this? An infection? Narcotics?"

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:43 am
by kabukiman
You hear hito screaming from upstairs:
”Head’s up we’ve got company! There’s got to be a hundred out there!”. Then he shoots

"No way out, unless you can fly from one roof to the other"- says the sheriff.

Outside you start hearing people beating the doors and windows. with some kind of objects, smashing it. After a while, you see some hands, trying to push the barricades.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary takes aim, waiting for the mob to break through enough to present a clear shot. "They're like zombies," she says.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 am
by jp1885

“Looks like we’ve got a fight on our hands,” mutters Jacob, grimly.

He checks the charge on his carbine and moves back to get a decent shot.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:00 am
by Snapper

Rourke finds the sheriff. "Do you have any vehicles we could use to escape?"

"Or are there any tunnels below this building? Drainage, or early mining tunnels? A basement even?"

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If there's no other way out down there," says Mary, "the basement's the last place we want to go. Haven't you seen any zombie holovids? We'd be trapped! We're better off heading to the roof if we can't hold the entrance."

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:20 pm
by Dave Syrinx

To Rourke, Hiroto offers: "It could be a virus, or they are poisoned by the atmosphere... Some atmospheres have gases that are toxic to humanoids. I´d say it´s somethinmg that affects the hearing or the senses all over. They did get attracted by our precense... Almost zombie-like you could say. We won´t know more until we examine one of the carriers... Right?" He winks at Rourke at the end of the reply. "The best bet is to just stay still and be quiet. If they leave, that´s one lead that they are following sound." He puts his index finger before his lips and hushes at the others.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:34 pm
by jp1885

Jacob nods and makes a zip motion across his mouth.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:23 am
by kabukiman
You all hear shots from upstairs and you have all a clear vision to hit the enemy. who are tearing apart the barricade.
Everyone fires.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary takes a shot at one of the intruders.

Roll to shoot at one of the mob:
2d6
Do I get a bonus for aiming, or for my high Dex?

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:16 am
by Philulhu
Ota

Shot #1 - 2d6+4 2d6+4

Shot #2 - 2d6+4 2d6+4

Any further bonus for shooting into the crowd? At that range he could hardly miss.

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Given that he’s firing into a mass of people, would the bullets travel through the first person and cause damage to the person(s) behind?

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:06 am
by jp1885

Jacob fires.

Not sure how this works, so here’s 2d6.
[6, 4] = 10
2d6: [ 6 4 ] = 10
Jacob has laser carbine 2, so do I add +2 to that?

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 am
by Dave Syrinx
Hiroto uses a knife to stab at one intruder.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 am
by Philulhu
jp1885 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:06 am Image

Jacob fires.

Not sure how this works, so here’s 2d6.
[6, 4] = 10
2d6: [ 6 4 ] = 10
Jacob has laser carbine 2, so do I add +2 to that?
OOC: That’s how it works, as far as I understand it. 2d6 + whatever skill you have in the task being attempted. You normally have to score 8 to succeed but there may be modifiers for difficulty (or range, if you’re firing a weapon).

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:59 pm
by kabukiman
Modifiers:
Roll dice,+ the value of the skill, need a 8 to pass.

Modifiers.
Blank range +1
Against a crowd +1
Rifle laser:
If have 11 in dex, gets a bonus of +2. If not, have a malus of -3.

Knife:
If you have str 8, you have a bonus of +2. If not, have a malus of -2.

Everyone that fires, can make a second roll to see if the bullet hit someone else.behind.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:54 pm
by Snapper

Rourke sighs in resignation, draws his automatic pistol, adopts the regulation two-handed firing position and takes a shot. "I think they know we're here."

First shot:

Spoiler:
2d6 +1+1=9
OOC:   Hit.  

Damage:

Spoiler:
3d6
OOC:   12 points.  

Person behind:

Spoiler:
2d6
OOC:   Miss.  

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:58 pm
by Philulhu

Shot #1 - 2d6+4+1 2d6+1+1

Shot #2 - 2d6+4+1 2d6+1+1 - this looks like a miss/it failed to pass through the first target.

Added plus one for firing into the crowd.

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6 - missed shot.

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6 - missed shot.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:28 pm
by jp1885
Rolling to see if shot goes through
[5, 2] = 7
2d6: [ 5 2 ] = 7

Not sure what damage a laser carbine does, so here's another 2d6...
[4, 4] = 8
2d6: [ 4 4 ] = 8

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary's shot hits one of the "zombies," doing a lot of damage, but it lodges in her target and doesn't hit anyone else.

Cool, that means that my shot hit with the +1! I'd also like a knife as a backup weapon. I'm strong enough to get that +2.

Does the bullet pass through my target and hit someone else?
2d6
Damage from pistol (presuming 2d6, but I'll fix it if it's something else):
2d6

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:35 am
by Snapper
Mental blank: I'm not sure what kind of gun your PC has.
Generally, most pistols do 3d6 damage.

Rourke has an automatic pistol, the Traveller equivalent of, say, a Glock 9mm, and that does 3d6. Cheers - S

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Thanks! My pistol's probably similar, so I'll roll that extra 1d6 just in case:
1d6

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:14 pm
by kabukiman
Four enemies seem to be inconscious... and suddenly you see small bugs (the size of a hand) leaving their mouths and crawling the floor in your direction!

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shoot the bugs, they're parasites!" shouts Mary, taking her own advice and firing a shot into the bug nearest to her. "They must have gotten into these people and made them this way! Don't let them get close to you!"

Roll to shoot at a bug:
2d6
Damage from shot:
3d6

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:36 am
by Snapper

Rourke decides Mary's advice seems pretty sensible. He climbs onto a piece of furniture to get both feet off the floor. Then talking careful aim, he shoots at a bug. Unfortunately, the little creature is a difficult target.

"That is just disgusting."

2d6

OOC:   Miss.  

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:46 am
by jp1885

[3, 2] = 5
Rolling to hit 2d6: [ 3 2 ] = 5

Freaked out by the bugs, Jacob also misses.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:05 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto tries to stomp one of the bugs. Seems futile to stab a critter.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:05 pm
by kabukiman
You start hearing the people that "lost" their bugs starting to speak (in english!):
"What is happening? Who are this people! Arrg!"
The ones still with the bugs try to capture them.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"This way, fast!" Mary calls to the people. "You're in danger!"

Can I shoot at another bug?

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 am
by Philulhu
Shot #1 - 2d6+4 (weapon skill) +1 (point blank) +1 (firing into a crowd) 2d6+4+1+1

Shot #2 - 2d6+4+1+12d6+4+1+1

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Secondary fire effects Shot #1 - 2d6+4+1+1 2d6+4+1+1

Shot #2 - 2d6+4+1+1 2d6+4+1+1

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary splatters a second bug.

I'm going to take that as a yes.

Roll to shoot another bug:
2d6
Damage to bug:
3d6

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am
by jp1885

Jacob darts forward, swinging his carbine like a club and trying to rescue the people who have been freed from the bugs’ influence.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:09 am
by kabukiman
Everyone can shoot at blank range with a +2 bonus OR help to rescue someone.

Meanwhile, Ota screams something about grenades...

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:18 am
by Snapper

Rourke, trying to maintain a regulation two-handed grip on his pistol while kneeling on a chair, concentrates and takes another shot.

"What did Ota say? Does he want some grenades?"

2d6+2

OOC:   Hits with a 9.  

3d6

OOC:   13 points damage.  

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:16 am
by jp1885

Rolling to help rescue someone
[5, 4] = 9
2d6: [ 5 4 ] = 9

In between bouts of grappling to pull out ‘disinfected’ people, Jacob replies:

“More likely he’s going to throw some!”

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:29 pm
by Snapper

"Oh good, it has been far too quiet. We needed some more fireworks."

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:53 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Hiroto, having impaled one critter with his knife, helps one of the freeed people to get up. Then starts to back up to the second floor.

OOC: rolls for rescue move.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:06 am
by kabukiman
After getting 2 persons (who seem in shock), the other ones seem to stop trying to enter.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Are any of the other people we freed from the bugs in danger, and are there any loose bugs left?

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:02 am
by kabukiman
OOC: No and no.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:04 am
by Philulhu
Do the others show signs of leaving?

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can rescue more of these people," says Mary. "We can knock them out, then kill the bugs when they emerge and get the people out of harm's way."

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:52 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Most are leaving and just a group is staying at safe distance.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:03 am
by jp1885

Jacob nods at Mary’s suggestion.

“Maybe I can set my carbine to stun…”
OOC:   Is it possible to reduce the power of his gun so that it only stuns?  

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm
by Philulhu
Ota will keep watch from the upstairs window to make sure the group don’t try to get any closer. If they don’t look like they’re approaching, then he’ll go back down the stairs.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should be able to rebuild the barricades too, now that they're backing off," says Mary. "Once this all settles down, we can talk to the people we rescued and find out what they remember about what happened."

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:54 am
by Snapper

Holstering his pistol, Rourke pulls a small notepad and pen from a pocket and tries to quickly determine some logistics:

How many people were inside the Sheriff's Office with the Travellers?

Are there any other weapons available?

Is there any transport available, or another exit?

OOC:   This may involve quizzing the Sheriff.  

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:25 am
by Dave Syrinx

Hiroto aproaches Ota up on the second floor and checks the room as he and the rescued person gets up there. "What´s the intel from up here, Ota?" To the rescued person Hiroto asks : "I am Hiroto, who are you and what do you remember happening to you?"

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:39 pm
by kabukiman
Mary (with someone else?) starts rebuilding the defenses.

The xeriff says:
"We have some guns here, riffles pistols, ammo and 2 smoke grenades. I know where we can get some dynamite, in one of the warehouses of the company, but we can't leave with the hord outside"

One of the persons that you saved (a miner) starts talking:
"Where am I, what happened? All I remember was that I was working and one of the teams appeared, but they were weird, they attacked us and dragged me to..." (he gets suddenly very pale, stops talking for a while and seems very scared but then resumes) "they dragged us to a big cave that we didn't know. There was a huge worm putting eggs, where some larvae ecloded. And they forced me to swallow one of them. I-I don't remember anything after"

OOC1: Jacob, to you can't, but don't worry the system to kill is complicated.

OOC2You saved 2 people and in the room were already 5 persons. So it is 7 npc's.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:22 pm
by jp1885

Jacob looks down at the squashed bugs on the floor.

"Does anyone know any science? We could examine those things and see what makes them tick."

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:34 pm
by Philulhu

Ota glanced back at Hiroto and said, ”Most have gone, except for that small group there. I think we can go back downstairs, we’ll be able to pick them off if they get closer.” With one last look out of the window he turned to head down the stairs, where he tried to take control of the situation as befitted an officer of his experience.

”Help to barricade those windows, but leave spaces so we can shoot out if necessary. Xerriff, did I hear you say you had weapons? Issue them my team and any of these civilians, assuming they are proficient with such things.”

He turned and stood in front of of one of the rescued miners, hands on his his hips and his legs shoulders-width apart. ”So where’s this cave you were taken to? It sounds like someone needs to go and deal with it,” already thinking about the type of notoriety that such an endeavour might bring… ...

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't," says Mary to Jacob. "I just know how to kill them, not dissect them. Sounds like that big worm in the cave laying eggs is their queen. We're going to have to find her and kill her to put a stop to this. Can you give us directions to this cave?" she asks the miner.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:59 pm
by kabukiman
The xeriff nods, go to an armory and gets several 2 riffles and 4 pistols; he gives the riffles to the two miners (he and his deputy had already one each);he distribute to the two women a pistol each and the remaining 2 pistols to your group and then asks:
"Who gets the 2 smoke grenades?"

The miner:
"It is in the mines, I know the way to get there, but that is dangerous and what do you want to do? Figth all those creatures and then kill the big bug?"

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:31 pm
by Philulhu

Ota shook his head. ”We need recon first. Find out what we’re dealing with.”

He looked over to the xerriff. ”How many people live in town? We’ve got to consider the possibility that everyone outside this room could be infected.”

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"It would be better to sneak in there and kill the queen rather than fight all the creatures," says Mary. "Once she's dead, they won't be able to produce any more bugs. The remaining bugs may also not know what to do once she's dead. Thanks, I'd like a smoke grenade."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:28 am
by kabukiman
The sheriff says:
"Nobody actually knows, probably a thousand, there is always new people coming."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:53 am
by jp1885

“A thousand?” Jacob gulps. “Maybe sneaking to the cave is our best bet… unless we can hide in plain sight…”

He turns to the recently possessed people.

“Can you remember what you were chanting when you had those bugs in you?”

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:12 pm
by Snapper

"Hiroto, surely your medicinal skills extend beyond manufacturing narcotics. Can you not take a look at one of these survivors and make some medical assessment of what had happened to them? There might be treatments or vaccines we could use to protect ourselves or cure the other unfortunates outside."

"The other option besides attacking some big alien bug is we head back to the train station first and use that computer to call for help. It may take a while, but at least we would know rescue was on the way."

OOC:   Rourke will collect several more magazines' worth of ammunition for his pistol if available from the Sheriff's armoury. And reload the 3 rounds he has just fired.  

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, that's a good idea," says Mary. "We'll need to escort the police back there so they can talk to the authorities in the capital. They're not going to believe it otherwise. Then we can hole up here until reinforcements arrive."

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:25 am
by Philulhu

”Agreed,” said Ota. ”We call for reinforcements and barricade this place until we arrive.”

He looked at the ragtag group before him and grimaced. Not much to work with but they’d have to do.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:22 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Could Rourke make an 'Engineering' check to see if he can improve the barricade? May not be the right skill for this so if you don't think he can help, all good.  

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:51 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Yes you can.
So the plan is to try to escape from this place?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Only temporarily. We want to get to the train station to use the communicator and call for help, and then return here.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am
by Philulhu
Unless the Xeriff knows of any better places we could defend?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:27 pm
by Snapper

2d6+1

OOC:   Success with an 8.  

Rourke happily busies himself identifying the strongest and heaviest objects and having people move them towards the front of the barricade. Then he starts setting up struts and other reinforcements to help hold the barricade in place.

All the while he is advising the locals on ways to best build and reinforce the structure, in a calm and methodical voice.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:49 pm
by jp1885

Jacob will volunteer to sneak out to the train station.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary lends her strength toward reinforcing the barricade.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:57 pm
by kabukiman
The barricade seems solid for now. Who stays or goes to the station?

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:46 pm
by jp1885
Jacob will go to the station.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:59 pm
by Philulhu

(Ota will go to the station).

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:19 am
by Snapper

OOC:   Satisfied with his work with the barricade, Rourke will go to the Station.

He'll encourage the Sheriff to either come or give the Travellers something they can use as evidence they speak with his authority when they are asking for help.  

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary also goes to the station.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:22 am
by kabukiman
So, you have 4 "possessed" people outside of the station.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:07 am
by Philulhu

Ota brought up his rifle to cover the possessed, tracking them through the sights as they moved. ”Let’s find a way around,” he said quietly. ”I should shoot them but it will attract attention from any others in the area.”

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:44 pm
by jp1885

“Yeah, let’s take it quietly,” Jacob whispers.

He looks around for a suitable route.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary nods, her pistol ready, agreeing that stealth is the better option.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:41 am
by jp1885

Perhaps streetwise Jacob can help plot out a route?

[4, 5]+1 = 10
Streetwise (skill 1) 2d6+1: [ 4 5 ] +1 = 10

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:44 pm
by Snapper

Rourke pulls out the printed-out map of the town for the others to use while they're planning a route.

OOC:   Did the Travellers notice any vehicles on the road as they walked into the town? Air/rafts, ATVs, horses?  

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:48 am
by Philulhu

Ota glanced back at the others while they tried to work out the best way to go. ”Come on!” he hissed impatiently. ”These things aren’t going to ignore us all day!”

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:41 am
by kabukiman
You notice a small truck in the other side of the street. And you could try to get out by the window and jump to the other building.near you, to avoid the atention of the creatures.

OOC: If you decide to jump, I' will use a house rule: you must roll and have less than your Dex to suceed. If you have another plan, go for it.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:29 pm
by jp1885

Jacob gulps, sizing up the gap between buildings and comparing it to his own clumsiness.

“We’ll, here goes nothing…” he mutters, before leaping out…

[4, 2] = 6
DEX 4 2d6: [ 4 2 ] = 6

… and just missing the landing.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:35 am
by Philulhu

Ota kept his gun trained on the creatures, waiting to see if Jacob’s inept gymnastics had attracted their attention…

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:09 am
by Snapper

"Oh dear." Rourke looks to see if there's another ground level exit besides the door they came in through.

"If we could get to that truck over there, we might be able to get it started quickly."

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary easily makes the jump.

Dex roll (9 stat) to make the jump:
2d6

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:17 am
by kabukiman
Enemies listening:

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:20 am
by kabukiman
The creatures are walking without paying attention, when suddenly one of them hears Jacob falling. He immediatly makes a hiss alerting the others...

OOC: You have about 2 turns to act, since they are at some distance.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 am
by jp1885
Does Jacob take any damage from falling? Is he conscious?

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:37 pm
by Philulhu

”Move! Move!!” snapped Ota. He emerged from cover, with his aim on the creature who had turned in their direction, lest it attack.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary, having already made the jump, provides covering fire for those on the ground.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:21 am
by jp1885

If Jacob is able to, he will make a run for it.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:58 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Is there any way out besides the window jump?  

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am
by kabukiman
jp1885 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 am
OOC:
Conscious yes. Make a 1d6 roll.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:58 am
OOC:   Is there any way out besides the window jump?  
OOC: no

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:29 am
by jp1885
kabukiman wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:10 am
jp1885 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:36 am
OOC:
Conscious yes. Make a 1d6 roll.
[5] = 5
1d6: [ 5 ] = 5

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:32 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Loose 5 str for now.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:33 pm
by jp1885

Badly bruised from the fall, Jacob grits his teeth and tries to limp away from the creatures.

Down to 4 Str.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:08 am
by Snapper

Nothing for it, Rourke tries to jump to the next building.

Spoiler:
2d6d8
OOC:   Success!  

Rourke draws his automatic and holds it close to his chest and pointed downwards in a very Navy approved, if rather awkward manner.

He whispers to Mary, "We better head downstairs and help Jacob."

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:15 am
by kabukiman
jp1885 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:33 pm Image

Badly bruised from the fall, Jacob grits his teeth and tries to limp away from the creatures.

Down to 4 Str.
OOC: You are perfectly fine to run, but not to fight (you have injured your arm).

The creatures immediately start running in your direction, opening their mouths.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:04 pm
by Philulhu

Ota didn’t hesitate but calmly aimed at those charging towards them and pulled the trigger.

I’m assuming this isn’t point blank but is firing at a crowd. If not, I’ll need to subtract 1 from my rolls.

Shot #1 - 2d6+4 (weapon skill) +1 (firing into a crowd) 2d6+4+1

Shot #2 - 2d6+4+1 2d6+4+1

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Are there enough people there for secondary fire attacks?

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:56 pm
by jp1885

Ota’s suppressing fire gives Jacob a precious second to check himself over. Realising that his arm is hurt worse than his leg, his limp turns into an awkward run.

Damaged arm held tightly to his side, he grits his teeth and barrels towards the opposite building.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary fires into the crowd, and she hits one of them.

Shooting into a crowd (+1):
2d6
Damage:
3d6

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:44 am
by Snapper

Rourke instinctively ducks slightly as Mary fires. Well, they know we're here now. He adopts the Navy-approved stance and two-handed grip on his automatic then with a grimace fires a shot at a zombie-local, hitting them.

Spoiler:
2d6 +1 = 8

OOC:   Hit.  

Spoiler:
3d6
OOC:   11 damage.  

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

You should get +1 for firing into the crowd, which makes that a hit.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:18 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Ta! Forgot about that. Shall edit.  

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:47 am
by kabukiman
With all those shots, you see that the bugs are abandoning the hosts who seem confused... before screaming with the pain of being wounded.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:03 am
by Philulhu

Seeing the bugs erupt from their stricken victims, Ota gritted his teeth and switched his aim, trying to kill the bugs before they escaped.

I’m assuming this doesn’t count as a ‘crowd’ and I guess there’s a modifier for a small target? I’ll post my unmodified shots so let me know if they will hit and I’ll roll damage.

Shot #1 - 2d6+4 (weapon skill) 2d6+4

Shot #2 - 2d6+4 2d6+4

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:20 pm
by Snapper

"Impressive marksmanship, Ota, but it might be time to get down here and join us."

Rourke cautiously heads across the road to the truck spotted earlier. He will check to see if it's locked up.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:20 pm
by jp1885

Jacob doesn’t stop to congratulate the others on their shooting. Swearing as he clutches his damaged arm, he continues to run.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:03 pm
by Philulhu
Ota will climb down and move towards the rail station once the bugs have been driven off.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary fires at a bug, narrowly missing. She's getting to hate those things.

Shooting at a bug:
2d6

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:04 am
by kabukiman
The creatures have all escape leaving only the confused humans. Ota joins the group in direction of the truck and Jacob is running?

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:26 pm
by jp1885

Jacob will run towards the truck too, if that’s where everyone else is going.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm
by Philulhu

”Find somewhere to take shelter!” Ota shouted to the bewildered civvies. ”We’ll go to get help!” He didn’t wait for them to respond but turned and headed in the direction of the train station.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:47 am
by Snapper

"Jacob, you might have more luck hot-wiring a truck than me, they didn't really cover that at the Naval Academy. Can you give me a hand if I can't get this one open and started?"

OOC:   If the truck is locked, Rourke will try smashing the driver's door window with the butt of his pistol.  

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary reloads and keeps the others covered from her perch, in case more of them appear.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:03 am
by Philulhu
How far is it to the station?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:20 am
by kabukiman
The truck is open, with the keys.
Using the truck you should get in about 1 minute at the station.
And you suddenly hear the ominous "Ia!" getting near.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:23 am
by Snapper

Rourke leaps into the driver's seat and starts the truck up. "Everyone get in!!"

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:38 am
by jp1885

Jacob doesn’t need telling twice, although his bad arm makes climbing in difficult.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:44 am
by Philulhu

”Move it!” snapped Ota, hauling himself into the truck. His rifle was up and ready, aiming in the direction of the shouting should anyone make an appearance.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary looks around for the approaching mob and, if she sees them, will aim at them until they get into range while the others approach in the truck.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:32 am
by Snapper

Rourke hastily drives over to wherever Mary is. "Mary, get in! We can outrun them in this, or maybe just run them down, but it is going to attract attention!"

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

I thought I'd already jumped across to the station, which is where we're headed.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:48 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I believe we jumped across to the neighbouring building, not the Station. The Station is a short walk away or 1 minute in the truck. Then we headed downstairs, exited, shot zombie-locals and so on.  

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary quickly gets in the truck.

I just checked, and it looks like you're right.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:21 am
by Snapper

As soon as Mary is in, Rourke wastes no time in heading for the train station

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:29 am
by kabukiman
OO: yes, you are all in the truck and you need to travell to the station.

And suddely a crowd of infested people appears and starts running in your direction. The station is at east, but the truck is turned over the west and the crowd is coming from the west.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:36 am
by Philulhu
What kind of truck is it? Are we all crammed in the cab or could some of us be on the back?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:17 pm
by Snapper

"Oh jump gods be merciful." Rourke doesn't bother trying to turn the vehicle. He sticks it into reverse and starts reversing away from the crowd. "Hold tight."

OOC:   If Rourke finds a cross street, he'll reverse past it, then put the truck into drive and turn into the cross street.  

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:34 pm
by jp1885

Jacob hangs on as best he can, complaining noisily every time the bouncing truck jars his arm.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:31 pm
by kabukiman
OOC yes, you can go in the back. But Rourke doesn't know how to drive (that is a skill vehicle: wheeled vehicle)). It must be someone with that skill OR with jack of all trades (that is Abe and Hiroto).

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:00 pm
by Philulhu

Ota stabbed a finger at Abe and Hirohito. ”Get behind the wheel! You’re the only ones who can drive this thing!”he snapped. Seeing more of the infected approaching, he fired a volley in their direction.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:46 am
by Snapper

Rourke hastily vacates the driver's seat to make room for Jacob.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary takes aim at the mob, opening fire once they are in pistol range.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:24 am
by jp1885

Grumbling, Jacob awkwardly takes the wheel.

“Seriously? I’m the only one who can drive? If it’s a stick shift, I’ll need some help with my busted arm!”

JoT 1, so Jacob has some experience driving I guess.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am
by kabukiman
OOC: yes, you probably drived your parents car as a teenager without their permission :D

Everyone else.... shoot.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:43 am
by Snapper

Spoiler:
2d6
OOC:   Hit!  

Spoiler:
3d6
OOC:   11 points damage.  

Rourke powers down a side window while drawing his automatic pistol. Leaning out of the window, he takes careful aim and - with a sigh - squeezes off a shot, hitting a zombie-local.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:14 pm
by Snapper

Spoiler:
2d6
OOC:   The person behind is a miss.  

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 pm
by Philulhu

Kneeling in the back of the truck, Ota took aim at the crowd chasing them. With grim satisfaction, he felt the recoil of his weapon as he fired.

No modifier, with the bonus for firing into a crowd offset by firing from a vehicle.

Shot #2 - 2d6+4 2d6+4

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Secondary fire attacks (firing into a crowd):

Shot #2 - 2d6+4 2d6+4

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Edit: four successful hits 😎

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary fires a shot, but the bouncing of the truck causes it to narrowly miss.

Roll shooting at the mob from the truck:
2d6
Does it hit someone behind my target?
2d6

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:26 pm
by Philulhu

Ota tutted loudly as he saw Mary’s shots fly wide of the target…

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:54 pm
by kabukiman
After some time you get at the station. But you all know, that the "others" are following you...

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:09 pm
by jp1885

“I’d better keep the engine running,” Jacob says as he glances nervously in the rear-view mirror.

He turns to speak to the others, but the act of twisting in his seat stretches an arm muscle, causing him to wince.

“Damnit! Can anyone take a look at my arm before you head out?”

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"With all due respect, sir," Mary says to Ota, "I'd like to see you try to fly a spaceship. And that shot would have hit if the truck weren't bouncing around."

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:09 am
by Philulhu

Ota pointedly ignored Mary’s criticism of his own abilities (or lack thereof) and climbed out of the back of the truck. ”Right, who can use a computer? I can, but I may be needed here if the infected make another appearance,” he said.

He looked over to Jacob. ”Move the truck so it’s a bit more in front of the entrance. We’ll use that as cover, if necessary. And keep the engine running, you can fire through the side window if any of those creatures show up.”

Has anyone got first aid as a skill? Ota hasn’t.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:38 am
by Snapper

"Cool your thrusters, Ota. I obtained a degree in computing while I was in the Navy, and I got the Station computer working before, so I think I should be first to try again. Hopefully it's still powered up and idling." Rourke heads into the Station warily, pistol held close to his chest, stiffly and awkwardly but in the Naval training approved position.

OOC:   Did the sheriff provide us with anything to prove we were speaking with his authority? We did ask for some proof to take with us.  

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

I thought he was coming with us to personally talk to them.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:56 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Yes, he came with you.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:03 am
by kabukiman
The station is still deserted.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:25 am
by Philulhu

Ota waved everyone inside the building, sweeping the room to make sure it was clear before taking up a position by the door where he could cover the street with his rifle.

”Get that radio working!” he snapped. ”The sooner we can get back-up here the better!”

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:17 am
by Snapper

With a slight sigh, Rourke holsters his semi-auto and seats himself at the computer.

OOC:   Is the computer still up and running from earlier? Is another Computer roll required?  

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:43 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: No, no need to another roll.

Ota:
You see one of the persons that you saved, coming in your direction.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:08 pm
by Philulhu

”Hands up!” barked Ota, aiming his rifle at the approaching newcomer. ”Identify yourself!”

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary stands watch with her pistol ready. "Hold your fire, this one's all right," she says. "The bug's gone."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:24 am
by Snapper

Rourke quickly uses the the computer to communicate with the Starport again. Hastily, he then gets out of the way. "All yours, Sheriff, the communications link to the Starport is up."

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:27 pm
by Mephistophilis

Staggering towards Ota is a grey haired man, his age is indeterminate but probably in his fifties. Thin and wiry, he's holding his hands out before him, fixing Ota with flinty eyes. 'Who's in charge here? Sheriff, what is going on?'

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Mary Tanaka," says Mary. "Our captain isn't here with us, but we're part of a starship crew. We came to find out why there was no communication from Calamity City and, well, we found out."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:31 am
by Philulhu

”I’m the ranking officer here,” snapped Ota, keeping the newcomer covered with his rifle. ”What’s your name and where have you come from? What can you tell us about these bug things?”

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:01 pm
by Mephistophilis

Eyeing Ota warily, and keeping his hands held out in front of him, he says 'My name is Santino Murphy, I'm a manager with the mining company.' He reaches slowly into his pocket and draws out an ID badge to show them. 'I'm afraid I can't tell you very much about what has been going on. A few days ago I was...kidnapped I suppose you'd call it. And then...,' he shudders, 'And then I was introduced to one of these bug things. It...,' he looks away, wiping something from his eye, 'It had control of me, I was trapped inside my own body. Until you all came. Thank you. But that's all I can tell you, I had hoped you would know more.'

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:39 pm
by Philulhu

Ota studied the man’s identity card carefully, then nodded, moving the aiming point of his rifle back to the street. ”What do you mean, you were ‘introduced’ to one of those bug things? How did that happen?”

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
For an instant Santino's eyes glaze over. Then he shakes his head, 'By introduced I mean shoved down my throat. I was grabbed by one of them,' he gestures outside, 'And dragged to the cave where...something was laying eggs.'

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:09 pm
by Philulhu

”Something? Describe what your saw. We need to know what we’re dealing with,” Ota urged Santino.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It must be the queen," says Mary. "If these work like other insectoid species, they won't be able to produce more bugs without her."

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:50 pm
by Mephistophilis

'I don't know if Queen is the right term, but whatever it was it was big. Five metres long or more, like a worm but with the face of an ant. All pale and immobile except for the rippling of the body as another egg came out,' He spits on the ground. 'I don't know how they communicate but the possessed ones seemed to be following some kind of instructions, working together, waiting on the egg-layer.'

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:53 pm
by Philulhu

”How many possessed are we talking about? How many did you see?” Ota asked Santino.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"That makes sense," says Mary. "Insectoid species tend to have hive minds."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:58 pm
by Mephistophilis

'How many people? I don't know. I saw dozens, scores, maybe as many as a hundred. There were a lot of people in that cave. Prisoners. Waiting for the next egg to be ready...' He shakes his head and looks away again, holding a hand against his throat with a pained expression.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're going to need those reinforcements from the capital," says Mary. "Heavier weapons wouldn't go amiss either. The sooner we take out the queen, the better. The more time that passes, the more people get bugs in them. Do they have any weaknesses that you've noticed?"

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:11 pm
by kabukiman
You start hearing footspets and the chant: "Ia! Ia!" And about 400 meters you suddenly see a crow. 60, 70? persons? Dificult to say how many...

Meanwhile...

The sheriff after identifying himself, is discussing with someone to bring a supervisor. Someone appears, and decides to pass the comunication to the military.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'd better get back to the cop shop fast and barricade it!" says Mary. "There's a big mob on the way, too many for us to fight!"

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:36 pm
by Mephistophilis

Hearing the chanting and seeing the crowd, Santino starts to panic. He looks desperately around him for some kind of weapon. 'We need to go. Now. And I need a weapon.'

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:31 pm
by Philulhu

”We can’t leave just yet!” said Ota through gritted teeth. ”We need to make sure that back-up’s on the way!” He glanced over at Jacob, checking that he was still keeping the engine running.

Does Ota have a sidearm?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:43 am
by Snapper

"One person could take the truck for a bit of a joy-ride and try to lead those crazies away, while the rest of us hid in here and protected the sheriff. Just a thought."

OOC:   Santino might be able to "borrow" Jacob's laser carbine maybe. Jacob is busy driving anyway.  

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:58 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:43 am Image

"One person could take the truck for a bit of a joy-ride and try to lead those crazies away, while the rest of us hid in here and protected the sheriff. Just a thought."

OOC:   Santino might be able to "borrow" Jacob's laser carbine maybe. Jacob is busy driving anyway.  

OOC: Sure!

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:30 am
by Philulhu

”Assuming they follow the truck and ignore whoever’s in the building,” replied Ota. ”If they don’t then we’ll be trapped in here with no way out.”

He looked over to Jacob. ”Rev the engine,” he ordered him. ”Let’s see if they respond to that!”

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:03 pm
by Mephistophilis

Santino gratefully accepts the laser carbine offered to him by Jacob. The reassuring bulk of the weapon calms him down a bit. He powers it up and sights it. He's never used one of these before but he's always been a good shot and thinks he can make use of it. 'Okay, I'm ready. What's the plan?'

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:50 am
by Snapper

"To quote a great pre-stellar Terran general, all warfare is deception. Be so subtle as to be invisible." Rourke looks at Santino. "So the deception is that we are apparently on that truck which hopefully will lead the crazies away. The subtle invisibility will be us hiding out here, ready to protect the sheriff while he sends for help from the Starport."

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"What's the plan if the deception doesn't fool them?" asks Mary. "Run like hell?"

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:29 am
by Philulhu

”Circle the truck around, pick us up and get the hell out of here. We can withdraw and pick off the infected at a distance,” replied Ota.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:20 am
by Snapper

Rourke looks briefly appalled at the thought of shooting all the infected locals.

"OK, I think we have a plan." Rourke makes sure he stays inside and out of sight of the crazy locals but he hisses quietly to Jacob. "Jacob, take the truck for a lap of the town, slow-ish. Try to draw these buggy locals away. But if they won't follow you, come back so we can jump in and get away."

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:52 am
by Philulhu

Ota saw the doubt on Rourke’s face and rolled his eyes. ”It’s them or us,” he snapped. ”Want me to find you a white flag so you can go parlay, see if they’ll just go home?” he continued sarcastically.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:24 am
by Snapper

Rourke looks at Ota in irritation. In a low voice, he hisses, "Stow it, Ota, if it's not operational talk. And no, I don't think there's much honour in shooting innocent civilians controlled by some alien parasites. But if there's no other option, I will."

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:32 am
by Philulhu

Ota bristled at Rourke’s response. ”It’s them or us,” he repeated. ”Civvies or not, they’re trying to kill us!”

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:22 am
by Snapper

"Feel free to jump back in the truck right now and take pot-shots at those poor sods out there, while Jacob tries to lead them away from here, if that's what you want. But if you're going to stay inside the Station, for pity's sake, be quiet and stay hidden."

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:34 am
by Philulhu

Ota scowled. ”Get that truck moving!” he snapped at Jacob, before turning away to watch the approaching civilians.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:26 pm
by Mephistophilis

Santino shrugs and takes cover behind a desk. He doesn't want to shoot his colleagues but he's not getting infested again, no way.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Is the call done yet?" Mary asks the sheriff.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:21 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Is there any way to close the entrance to the Station without being seen by the crazy locals?

And is there another exit on the opposite side, leading to the actual railway platform?  

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:21 am
OOC:   Is there any way to close the entrance to the Station without being seen by the crazy locals?

And is there another exit on the opposite side, leading to the actual railway platform?  
You need to drive about 20 meters after the station, turn left where the road cross the railroad and on foot go to the east part of the station.

Almost done-
says the sheriff- I'm explaining the situation to an officer.

The crow is running in your direction. About 20 meters now...

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:39 pm
by Philulhu
Is Jacob going to try to draw them off with the truck?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary looks around for a good hiding place.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:54 am
by kabukiman
So, does the truck start running to atract the infested?

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:35 pm
by Snapper
Snapper wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:20 am
"OK, I think we have a plan." Rourke makes sure he stays inside and out of sight of the crazy locals but he hisses quietly to Jacob. "Jacob, take the truck for a lap of the town, slow-ish. Try to draw these buggy locals away. But if they won't follow you, come back so we can jump in and get away."
OOC:   Assuming Jacob does as asked, yes, absolutely. Jacob will hopefully start it up and slowly drive away.  

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:42 pm
by Philulhu
Jacob was JP1885’s character and JP dropped out of the game. Unless the character has been taken over by someone else, I think we’re waiting for you to tell us what he’s doing.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:33 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Sorry you are right.

The truck is running at full speed with all the infested following you; you turn right with the road passing by some warehouses; you can turn rigth again, to go to the other side of the station, or continue east to the desert.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:03 pm
by Philulhu

Ota had leapt onto the back of the truck as Jacob pulled away so he could act as a spotter. He watched as the infected followed them. ”Try heading East!” he ordered Jacob. ”Let’s see if they’ll follow us into the desert.”

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:19 am
by Snapper

Meanwhile, Rourke, crouching and staying low, does his best to shut and lock doors if he can without being seen, and generally make sure everyone still in the Station is hidden from sight of the crazed locals.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:44 am
by Mephistophilis

As the infected begin to follow the truck, Santino comes out from behind his cover, crouching low and keeping the exterior windows covered with his laser carbine. He helps Rourke to secure the building, turning over tables and chairs, and sliding them towards the exterior windows and doors to act as barricades.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary also helps quietly barricade.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:37 am
by Snapper

As the locals get closer, Rourke will ensure everyone is being quiet as particularly quiet space-mice.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:58 pm
by kabukiman
truck
The group is indeed following you to the desert. Biy for how long?

Station:
You notice that 2 or 3 infested are exploring the buildings near. And one is walking in direction of the station.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:45 pm
by Philulhu

”Ok, not too far or too fast. We just need to keep the majority following us,” he shouted to Jacob. ”Circle back around a bit.”

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:47 pm
by Mephistophilis

Tensing up, Santino keeps the infested figure in his sights. 'Nothing to see here buddy,' he whispers to himself.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary doesn't even whisper. She just silently waits in her hiding place with her weapons ready. She intends to use the knife if it comes to a fight. She's better with it, and it's quiet too.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:22 am
by Snapper

Rourke crouches low, out of sight, ready to act if he has to.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:47 pm
by kabukiman
Station

The infested leaves the station and starts looking in another place.

The sheriff says that the military will send a plane with a batalion... in one hour.

Truck
The infested continue following you, but some seem to loose interest and return to the city.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:01 pm
by Snapper

Rourke breathes a quiet sigh of relief. "Well, score a victory for Sun Tzu," he says quietly. "And well done, Sheriff."

"Now, I wonder if we can get out the platform side and catch up with the truck without being seen?"

Crouching low still, he heads over to the platform side of the station.

OOC:   Presumably, there is a door from inside the Station to the train platform?  

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:47 am
by Philulhu

Ota banged on the roof the truck to draw Jacob’s attention and shouted. ”You see those stragglers heading back to the city? Try and get a bit closer to them and draw them away.”

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Can we just sneak back to the police station once we're done here?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:24 pm
by Mephistophilis

Santino comes out from behind his barricade, still crouching low and with the carbine in the crook of his arm. 'Time to go, where to?'

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Once the sheriff is done," says Mary, "we should all go back to the police station and hole up until reinforcements arrive."

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:29 am
by Snapper

"No objection from me," Rourke says, "But the first trick might be getting back into our truck without having to fight off the crazy locals. Again."

OOC:   Does it look like there is an exit platform-side?  

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"If none of those guys are around," says Mary, "we don't have to wait for the truck. We can just slip back on foot."

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 am
by kabukiman
OOC: There is only the main west entrance (that you put an improvised barricade with a road to the police station and in this moment you don't see any infested) and the east entrance (where the truck is with a lot of infested).

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we move the barricade, we can get back to the police station," says Mary. "The way is clear right now."

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:24 am
by Snapper

"Alright, let's start dismantling the barricade quietly. I hope Ota And Jacob can keep away from those crazed locals and eventually finds us."

"Sheriff, do you know what the military plan is? Hopefully, more than just shoot everyone?"

OOC:   Are there shops or stores in the town? Like a sporting goods store that might have useful items in it?  

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:36 pm
by Mephistophilis

Slinging his carbine, Santino starts to move some of the tables and chairs piled up as a barricade. 'Can we hold out until the military get to town?'

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary helps to quietly make an opening in the barricade for them to leave. "The sheriff said the military should arrive in an hour," she says. "The police station is very defensible. I think we can hold out there until they arrive."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:06 am
by Snapper

Rourke is in Navy mode. "We've gathered some intel about the situation in this poor town, so we have some idea what we're up against. And now, with the Sheriff's help, we've requested back-up. Nice and methodical so far."

"My next priority would be logistics. I'd like to find some better comms for us. And what I wouldn't give for a cutlass. And a first aid kit. Actually, maybe there's a first aid kit in here?"

"Then we return to the Sheriff's office and go defensive until the cavalry arrives."

"Sheriff, is there a hardware store in town, somewhere with maybe portable communicators or phones we could get hold of?"

OOC:   Is there a first aid kit in the train station?  

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 am
by kabukiman
"Yes, probably in the main building of the railroad company. It is not far from here".

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:31 am
by Philulhu
What can Ota see of the others’ actions from the truck? At the moment he’s trying to keep the infected away from them but will need to meet up again at some point.

”Driver - how much fuel have we got?” Ota shouted to Jacob.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:30 am
by Snapper

"Vey well, are we happy to quietly head over to the railroad company office to grab equipment? It could be a life-saver later."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:01 am
by kabukiman
Philulhu wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:31 am
What can Ota see of the others’ actions from the truck? At the moment he’s trying to keep the infected away from them but will need to meet up again at some point.

”Driver - how much fuel have we got?” Ota shouted to Jacob.
"About near two hours. no problem".

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:02 am
by kabukiman
OOC: I'm creating two new thread: "the truck" and "on foot".

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:41 am
by Snapper

Rourke looks at the bugs in horror. "Oh crap."

He turns to the Sheriff's office and yells at the people inside, "We need a ladder to an upstairs window! Get the ladder in there and help us! We'll pull it in after us. Move!"

Turning back to the other Travellers, "If we can get everyone inside, maybe we can hold the office."

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Inside, fast!" shouts Mary, ushering the people they rescued to the police station's door.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:42 pm
by Philulhu
Ota’s not convinced that staying here is necessarily a good idea, so

(a) how long has it been since we called for reinforcements?
(b) he wants to make a tactical assessment on whether making a stand here is survivable.

Tactics = 2 +2d6 = 2d6+2

Edit: Balls! :evil:

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:47 pm
by Mephistophilis

Taking up a firing position against the truck, Santino tries to draw a bead on the pursuers but doesn't take a shot, it seems so futile. 'Can we really defend this place? Maybe we'd be better off all getting on the truck and making a run for it?'

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If we can fit everyone on the truck," says Mary. "We did rescue a bunch of people. Help is only minutes away, so we don't have to avoid the bugs or hold out for long."

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:25 am
by Snapper

"The grounds level of the Sheriff's Office was left pretty well barricaded and should hold hopefully. I directed the barricading myself. That's why I want the ladder. We get everyone up through an upper floor window or the roof or whatever."

"We might have to hold off the crazies for a bit. Then we all get upstairs and try to keep them at bay with gunfire."

"The cavalry is on the way but we will probably want to let them know we're friendlies and not to vaporize us along with the crazies."

Rourke turns back to the Office and yells at those inside, "Get us the ladder now!!"

"Only other option is flee out of town in the truck. Ota, what's it like out of town?"

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:02 am
by Philulhu

”It’s just desert,” replied Ota. ”We could probably outrun the infected but the bugs? I don’t know. There’ll be no shade from the sun and we’ve only got about an hour’s fuel, and could we even get everyone on board?”

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:06 am
by Snapper

"Then my vote is move to a defensible position in the sheriff's office."

OOC:   Is there any sign that anyone inside the sheriff's office is getting the ladder, or has even heard Rourke?  

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:39 am
by kabukiman
OOC: No, inside they have barricade themselves again.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:06 pm
by Philulhu

”Let’s go then!” said Ota tersely. He’d seen the swarm approaching and didn’t want to get caught in the open.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:11 pm
by Snapper

"OK, we're not getting back in there. Sheriff, where's somewhere we can hole up quickly? Is there a hospital or clinic?"

Rourke hastily pulls the map printout from his jacket and opens it, looking for somewhere nearby that would be easily defended.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"All aboard," says Mary, getting on the truck.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:58 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Would Santino know somewhere suitable to defend?  

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:38 pm
by kabukiman
Mephistophilis wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:58 am
OOC:   Would Santino know somewhere suitable to defend?  
OOC: Yes, he would. There are a couple of banks that have extra security measures.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:57 pm
by Mephistophilis

Santino jabs a finger at the map. 'There's a company bank here. I should be able to get us inside. It's been built with a bit more security than the other buildings. I say we hold up there.'

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:27 am
by Philulhu

”Sounds good to me!” barked Ota.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:23 am
by Snapper

Rourke quickly heads for the truck, terminal under his arm. "Definitely, let's go. I'm thinking the local military's airborne units can't be far away."

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds good to me too," says Mary.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:36 am
by kabukiman
You drive as quick as possible followed by the creatures. You stop at the bank and you see that the door and windows have bars (they are open).

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:49 pm
by Snapper

Rourke jumps out, terminal still under one arm, automatic in the other hand. "Right, our new defensive position. Let's make sure it's free of annoying pests and then lock ourselves in." He cautiously approaches the bank.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Mary follows, her weapons at the ready.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:32 am
by kabukiman
You enter... and you see the infested running in direction of your building (the door are still open). And suddenly 5 infested coming from another room.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:44 am
by Snapper

Trusting his colleagues to deal with the inside threat, Rourke frantically throws himself at the door, determined to shut and lock it.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:40 pm
by Philulhu

”Out of the way!” yelled Ota, pushing past the others and snapping his rifle up to his shoulder. He aimed at the bugs and pulled the trigger…

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Shot #2 - 2d6+4 2d6+4

Damage

Bullet #1- 3d6 3d6

Bullet #2 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #3 - 3d6 3d6

Bullet #4 - 3d6 3d6

Edit: Not sure what’s happening with the formatting but that’s two successful hits and a load of damage…

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Here we go again!" says Mary as she opens fire on the mob, hitting someone.

Roll to hit an infected person (8 needed, +1 for firing into crowd):
2d6+1
Damage:
3d6
Roll to hit a second infected person (8 needed):
2d6

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:20 pm
by Mephistophilis

Falling in behind Ota, Santino whips up his carbine and fires a volley of laser blasts into the crowd of infested, a bolt searing through one at the front.

L(8+H)2d6+2LHd(8+H)2d6+2Ld4d6

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:12 am
by kabukiman
You hit the 3 infested and the bugs immediatly leave the bodies... and outside you see dozens of infested trying to break the bars of the bank in vain when suddenly the sound of engines outside and shooting. The infested leave the area and you can finally rest.

OOC:
The scenario is finished. I'l write an epilogue in a couple of days. I hope you enjoyed!