January 05 - The Doom Train

A puzzling headline begins a front-page article found in the Times of London. Three men, all identical in identification, were found dead in the same room of the Chelsea Arms Hotel. Then the home of a valued friend burns to the ground, severely injuring him in the process. It is the beginning of "Horror On The Orient Express" a European campaign set in the winter between January and March of 1923. Over the course of the campaign, the investigators are trying to collect the various pieces of an ancient statue called the Sedefkar Simulacrum. Night falls early then, and each night is long and cold. The campaign is made up of 11 scenarios, taking place in seven nations, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Italy, The Kingdom of Serbs Croats and Slovenes, Bulgaria, and Turkey. All are stops on the path of the Simplon-Orient Express.

Moderator: robertod

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: January 05 - The Doom Train

Post by aine »

“She’ll get stuck over there!” Clarence exclaims.
“Randolph, do you have any of those sigils on paper or something we can carry to ward off the undead?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Gentlemen, the lady appears to need our assistance. I will climb onto the carriage if someone could start the distraction at this end.'

Eager for something practical that he can do to help, Andrew climbs the ladder onto the roof of the carriage, and prepares to attack any undead that make it up, looking to shove them into the ether.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 654 times
"Oh, no you don't!" shouted Archie as he saw the two of the creatures starting to climb out of the window. He opened the door just enough that he could yell loudly through the door and try to get their attention. "Over here, you stinking bas...cretins!"

If possible, he squeezes off a shot at one of the two escapees to see if he can get its attention back on him.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

Andrew climbs to the roof. When he stands up and starts walking upon, it he finds himself in front of a living dead man who reaches out his hands to grab the investigator. Meanwhile, Felicity runs to the end of the roof. One of the living dead on the roof follows her. Meanwhile, two creatures in the carriage are climbing through the windows to get on the roof. Other two turn to the doctor when he screamed and walk towards him.
Randolph replies to Clarence:
"Unfortunately, the sigils must be made on the threshold that connects two rooms, otherwise they have no effect."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Calculating that more of the dead are now on the roof than in the car itself and realizing that her distraction is working in a way she didn't expect, Felicity quickly lowers herself from the end of the car so that she can enter it, thankful that the skirt of her dress is scandalously short.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“In that case, we must resort to more tangible methods, hmm?” Clarence draws his sword again and steps back into the deadly carriage to help Archie distract the undead.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

Andrew and an undead come face to face. The creature raises their arms, close to attempting a deadly embrace towards the investigator. Two other walking dead crawl on the roof moaning, getting dangerously close to Andrew.
Felicity climbs off the roof and enters the carriage, followed by the same dead teenager who had grabbed her when she jumped into the train. It seems to have a soft spot for her.

Meanwhile, the other three investigators step on the wagon along with Randolph and find three walking and drooling dead men in front of them. Henry is scared, he tries to muster up the courage to go up to the roof and help Andrew, but he does so very reluctantly.
OOC:   Those who are ighting the dead please go ahead with rolls. Remember that you can spend points to improve your roll.  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Three against one? That's hardly sporting chaps' exclaims Andrew, as he kicks out at the shambling creature, hoping to knock it off the roof of the moving carriage.

Spending 2pts of scuffling 1d6+2
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 634 times
"Have another taste of my lead, you wretched beasts," Archie yelled loudly, waving one of his arms as he squeezed off another bullet. "Stay in this car, you cretins!"

I am using 1 point from my Firearms which started off at 8 but is now 7.

1d6

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Leave me be, you're too young for me," hisses Felicity as she evades the dead teenager and moves down the car looking for the bag with the notes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

With grim determination Clarence steadies himself and then lunges at a dead man, hoping to incapacitate one of its arms.
Adding +1 to the roll.
Roll:6
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

With the center of the car being empty, Felicity is able to locate and quickly reach Henry's bag. She finds it between a a table and an armchair. The "suitor" undead follows her slowly.

Andrew violently hits the dead. The jaw of the pale dead woman flies away and she loses her balance. She falls from the roof. However, she manages to grab Andrew's ankle. She isnow trying to get up, but with slow movements and a lot of difficulty.

Andrews ´s attack Damage:1d6

Archie fires a pistol shot, which pierces the chest of one of the dead. The target creature trembles slightly but continues his attack against Clerence. IClerence and the undead grab each other. Clerence manages to overcome the opponent's strength and pushes him away, but the creature continues his hold on the investigator's arm.

Clarence ´s attack Damage: 1d6

Archie´s attack Damage:1d6

A gentleman now reduced to a walking and swinging corpse takes Alfie's arm, who uses his knife to begin cutting off the creature's forearm. Randolph grabs one of the carriage's lamps and uses it as a club against the dead who has just grabbed him. He hits the creature with little effect though.

1d6 1d6 1d6

Alfies´s attack Damage:1d6

Dead 1 attacking Andrew: 1d6+ 1
Dead 1 attacking Randolph: 1d6+ 2
Dead 1 attacking Alfie: 1d6+ 2
Dead 1 attacking Clerence: 1d6+ 1

Last edited by robertod on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Felicity grabs the bag, gets up on a table near the fight between her friends and the zombies, and jumps over. "Catch me, chaps, and let's get out of here!" she calls as she does so.

Do I need to make an Athletics roll?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Andrew attempts to kick away the abomination and then back away to the end of the carriage. He doesn't fancy taking on three of the creatures but he's not sure how the others are managing below him. 'How's it going down there chaps?'

Is Henry on the roof with him? How's he doing?
Does Andrew need another Scuffling roll? I'll spend 1

FFL1d6+1
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence looks up with consternation as Felicity makes the jump and he tries to push his zombie against the other zombies to keep them busy.
Not sure what to use but I rolled 1d6: 4

“We’ve almost got it; get yourself back down here, Murray!” He shouts in reply to Andrew.
SaintMeerkat
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by SaintMeerkat »

doctor.png
doctor.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 573 times
"I'll catch you," Archie cried as he saw Felicity climb onto the table. He slipped his pistol into his pocket and extended both arms, ready to grab her and pull her to safety.
robertod
Keeper
Keeper

Post by robertod »

One of the dead on the roof tries to grab Henry, but he ducks down and crawls to the floor, avoiding the grab. Andrew throws the woman's slender hand off his ankle and her body is sucked under the rails. Meanwhile, however, the other dead who was on the roof grabs Andrew by the arm.
You don´t need Athletics roll, as Archie is helping you and no one among the zombie is currently holding you

1d6
Dead attacks Henry1d6

Dead attacks 1d6
Henry is on the roof with Andrew, I forgot to mention that in the previous post.

Meanwhile, inside the carriage, with the help of Archie, Felicity leaps out of the carriage. The dead teenager who was following her, has now changed his target and prepares to attack Archie.
Suddenly a chilling scream echoes throughout the first carriage. Alfie's face pales and his eyes widen. The zombie who´s grabbing him has sunk his teeth into Alfie's shoulder, who squirms. With a last desperate gesture, Alfie cuts off the dead man's arm. The zombie is still hanging on the investigator´s shoulder by the teeth. A cry that sounds more like a lament follows immediately. Randolph was also bitten by a dead. Before being bitten, however, the poor man managed to break the creature's knee with one swipe of his club.
1d6 Dead attacks 1d6

1d6 1d6Dead attacks1d6

Clerence manages to push his opponent away from him, avoiding being bitten. Bu the creature is ready to attack him back.
Dead attacks 1d6
Previously said:   Not sure what to use but I rolled 1d6: 4  
You rolled scuffling. Since the zombie was also holding your arm you needed a higher result to push him away. Don´t forget that you can improve your result by spending points of scuffling.

OOC:   Important note: anyone who has been grabbed by a zombie, and wants to push the creature away from him, must get a Scuffling result higher than the zombie. It is highly recomended to SPEND POINTS. They are refleshed when you get to a place where you are safe.  
Last edited by robertod on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Everyone come back, I've got it!" Felicity calls as she hands the bag of notes over to the professor and returns the favor by helping Archie back into the safe carriage.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Clarence retreats immediately back to the 2nd carriage, hopefully before his zombie can reach out for him.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Turning to see the undead creature that has grabbed his arm, Andrew instinctively strikes him across the face with a right hook and follows up by grabbing him and attempting to pitch the fiend off the roof before clambering back down into the safety of the first carriage.

With that 6 I guess I'd better commit all my Scuffling! FFL1d6+6 ETA, and I'm glad I went all in!

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express (Trail of Cthulhu)”