Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2- New York

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:28 am
by kabukiman
10 April 1934
You returned from Bolivia some days before. Your findings are been analyzed by an Arkham group and some experts from the Caduceus organization but anyway, your expedition is considered a great success. You received immediatly an invitation to go to the Caduceus headquarter in New York. You go by train to New York and then taxi.

In 1933, New York City is a bustling, growing, modern city. The Empire State Building has been open for three years, and the Manhattan skyline is becoming home to the skyscrapers that will define it in the public consciousness. The roads are filled with motor vehicles and the sidewalks throng with people from all over the world. The Great Depression is still in full swing, and you find many people looking for work. In your travell, you see several soup kitchens.

The headquarters for Caduceus are based in the Meadham Building on Park Row, on the east side of Manhattan Island. It is currently one of the tallest buildings in New York City, at eighteen stories, and is topped by a large dome. There is a doorman at the main door.

Re: Chapter 2- New York

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"This must be the place," says Harry, looking up - and up - at the building. He strides up to the door.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
Struck by the contrast between the imposing Meadham Building and the poor on the streets, Alex whistles. 'It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God,' he mutters pointedly.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:46 pm
by aine
“These building s are incredible! How do they build them so tall?” Jan cranes her head as she tries to take it all in.
“The noise though, you can keep- let’s get inside!” She follows the orhers.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:22 am
by Starspawn338

Butch is uneasy with the crowds of people but he's more in awe of how tall this building is. He bumps into someone as he's slowly shuffling forward looking up at the Meadham building. Excusing himself without looking down, he continues up the doorman.

"How tall is this?" He asks quizzically.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:46 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley is looking unusually regulation in his tailored tweed suit, fedora, and bow tie. He is clutching a sheaf of letters from Black Mask and other such "pulp" magazines. Looking quickly at the next letter, he makes a serpent-like hiss through his teeth and looks satisfied.

"Promising responses so far." He glances up at the tall building as they enter. "I do actually find this city quite interesting. The modern day version of pyramids or the Hanging Gardens, built on top of layers of earlier settlement. In its own right, there would be explorations of interest right here." Crowley folds the letters and tucks them into an inner jacket pocket.

"It makes a man wonder if Cairo in the time of pharaohs had as many gangsters and poor people? Who knows? Possibly."

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Probably not as many," says Harry, "simply because the population was much lower then, especially comparing Cairo to New York. But I'm sure they had their share. I have to wonder if, centuries from now, archaeologists of the future will find this building in the ruins of New York."

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Centuries or maybe sooner,' grumbles Alex. 'And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven. And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth.'

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:44 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: The cairo is a "recent" city, build by the arabs about 1000 years ago, to lower the influence of Alexandria (that had been create by greeks and was still full of them at that time). The pharaohs never had very populated cities (but they were full of monuments).

The doorman asks:
"Can I help you gentleman?"

OOC2: Everyone make a spot hiden roll.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

Harry quickly notices something.

Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) outside the building:
d%

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:46 pm
by Snapper
Crowley:

1d%pHdd60%

Crowley cannot restrain himself but have one last peek at his submission letters. He is oblivious to all around him.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:43 pm
by aine
Spot hidden roll:84 fail

Jan peers over Crowley’s shoulder, not noticing much else.
“Have you heard anything back about your article?” She asks him as they enter the foyer.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:06 am
by Mephistophilis
Alex traipses into the building still muttering to himself darkly. Seemingly oblivious to his surroundings.

pHdd36%d%

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:34 pm
by kabukiman
The doorman is still waiting for an asnwer...

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:05 pm
by Starspawn338

Spot Hidden 62
1d100

Extreme Success

"Huh?" Butch says as he looks at the doorman. "Oh, we work for Caduceus and were summoned for a meeting."

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry takes a good look at the car as it drives away, in order to read its license plate and identify the make, model, and color.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:21 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley nods happily to Jan. "Why yes, several of the magazines have expressed interest in my submitting some articles. There is also some movement towards another book. Your presence in the events in question has undoubtedly helped sell the story."

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:59 am
by aine
“Oh.” Jan eyes Crowley suspiciously for a moment, wondering.
“Well, that’s good news, er, well done.”

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:13 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley shrugs, fishing out a packet of Gitanes and offering one to Jan before lighting his own. "The life of the historian-explorer part funded by pulps. Have portable typewriter and Herodotus, will travel. If I'm published though, I can go back to buying scotch whisky and French cigarettes."

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Alex rolls his eyes. 'My condolences at being the latest focus of Captain Crowley's...ahem... literary endeavours,' he says to Jan.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:13 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley, in a cloud of French tobacco smoke, eyes Alex. "Jealous, priest? Sadly, no pulps are clamoring for stories if you running about half-naked."

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Tilting his head, Alex looks quizzically at Crowley. 'It's funny, but I don't recall any of us being half naked, least of all me.'

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:12 pm
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley, half hidden in French tobacco smoke, waves a hand in dismissal. "Poetic licence. You have to make some allowances for the pulps in order to get published. The essential information regarding the discovery of historic sites is conveyed, and that is all that matters."

"There is some argument to say Herodotus himself embellished. Despite the later adoration he received from the likes of Cicero."

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
'A modern day Herodotus? I see, I see,' laughs Alex.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:30 pm
by aine
Jan takes a cigarette and lights it with a match from her own pocket and lit by flicking it against her boot.
She scowls at the goggling doorman.
“What? Have you never seen a woman smoke before?” She takes a deep drag and turns back to Crowley but the conversation has taken a classical turn that sweeps right over her head.
“Huh.” And she strides into the building.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:00 am
by kabukiman
You enter to the main entrance. There is a reception desk, with women there. They are in their twenties, both blonde. They smile a lot and they indicate you that you should go to floor 6 and that you can use the elevator. When you arrive, you see what seems an ordinary office: accountants, administrators, lawyers, procurement clerks, and various layers of management, and nobody is paying you any attention.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:48 pm
by Snapper
Crowley:

"What are these people actually doing? What is this organisation really about?"

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:30 pm
by aine
“Looks like just busywork to me.” Jan stubs her cigarette out on someone’s ashtray and continues to look around.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Well someone here is busy collecting the sleeping bodies of ancient snakeman prophets and we don't know what they're doing with them.' Alex is starting to feel uncomfortable, What kind of massive corporation is this that trades in occult knowledge? And right in the heart of New York itself. What are their goals?'

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they keep all that in a stuffy warehouse," says Harry. "Or maybe they put the mummy up in a room at the Plaza. She is supposed to be important."

What was I able to determine about the car? I did have a hard success on my Spot Hidden roll.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm
by Snapper
Crowley:

"Well, if we were visiting a fierce Bedouin tribe in the desert, I'd be looking for the chief about now. So where's the chieftain here? In a big corner office?"

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 pm
by aine
“He’ll be the one with a bone through his nose.” Jan replies dryly.
“If I had to guess, I’d say they were involved with the antiquities market, those relics would be worth a fortune, enough to pay for this crowd.”

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm
by Starspawn338

Butch is extremely uncomfortable with all the people and commotion going on. He looks around for someone with dirt on his hands or his clothes.

"Anyone that doesn't get dirty when they work isn't really working." He mutters.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 pm
by Mephistophilis

Looking down at his spotless black cassock, Alex sighs, 'Some of us engage in more cerebral work. But work nonetheless.'

While the others stand around with gaping mouths he wanders over to the nearest administrator and gives them his winning smile. 'I have an appointment with Dr Shapiro, can you point me in the right direction?'

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:31 am
by kabukiman
A secretary doesn't even look at you and answer:
"Shapiro, Shapiro. I think that he works in floor 8. Just use the stairs."

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Doesn't this building have an elevator?" asks Harry.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:27 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

"Come on, old man. One flight of stairs will be good for your arthritis."

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:26 am
by kabukiman
You walk another floor and immediatly a guard asks you politely but firm:
"How can I help you sirs?"

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"We're here to see Dr. Shapiro," says Harry. "We have an appointment."

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:54 pm
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley, who was in a good mood (for him) anyway, is starting to find this amusing.

"Are we in the right building? I'm beginning to feel like we took a wrong turn."

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Alex puts his hand on the guard's shoulder. 'My good friend. You can be of an enormous help to us. We have been summoned here to meet with Dr Shapiro after a little sojourn in Bolivia on behalf of Caduceus. Since we were almost killed on his behalf we would enormously appreciate if you could show us to his office.'

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:32 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

"The intrepid hunters of lost antiquities now find themselves working for Acme Insurance in middle management."

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:33 pm
by kabukiman
"Oh, Mr Shapiro is waiting about you. Why didn't you come by the elevator? It is much more confortable. Just follow me"

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:30 pm
by Mephistophilis

'At my age you need to keep the old joints limber. Please lead on.'

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"A secretary told us to take the stairs," says Harry as he follows. "I asked if there was an elevator, but I didn't get an answer."

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:13 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley, lighting up another hideously strong French cigarette with a strangled cough, says, "Perhaps they wanted to test your physical training <cough>?"

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:11 am
by aine
“It’s only two floors, I’ll walk up. We can see who gets there first.”
Jan turns and starts climbing the stairs, after a morning of cabs, elevators and bustle, the staircase provides a relatively quiet interlude.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:39 pm
by kabukiman
"Well, it is probably someone new here. Just follow me."

He takes you to a great office... except this one is full of maps, books, artefacts and people on the telephone screaming or comparing notes. There is a small door that says "Shapiro". He knocks and nobody answers. He knocks again (louder) and a voice screams: "What?"
The security quickly opens the door (without waiting for an answer) and makes you a sign to enter.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry takes off his signature hat and steps inside.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:13 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Bemused, Crowley signs and enters.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:48 pm
by Mephistophilis

After scrawling his signature, Alex strides into the office. 'Dr Shapiro, at last, we finally meet the man who nearly got us all killed. An archaelogical expedition from the Miskatonic University indeed, it's almost criminal!'

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:08 pm
by aine
Jan stalks into the office and smiles like a snake at Dr Shapiro. She sits in a chair and crosses her legs.
“What about it, Dr Shapiro?”

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:47 pm
by kabukiman
His attitude change completly and he smiles:
"Your THAT team! I must confess we didn't expected that you will have such greast results. To tell the true, we didn't expected that you would find so many problems. The german army? That is unbelievable"

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Believe it," says Harry. "They were there. And they got their butts kicked. Not merely by us, though. That temple had some serious defenses."

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:56 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Unbelievable is one word for it. I might say the same about your protestations of ignorance over the radio. He leans forward onto the table and splays his fingers. I think you owe us a bit more of an explanation.' He stands and raises his voice, 'We've earned an explanation!'

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:57 am
by Starspawn338

Butch has been silent so far, still not comfortable in this setting, but he has to speak up and echoes Alex.

"Yes indeed. It is not the germans but the archeological find itself." He says. "What is it and who made it? We demand answers!"

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:06 am
by kabukiman
"Well, I supposed I own you an apology, but in my defense, I must say that we didn't expected too much trouble. AT least, that kind of trouble.
Well, to start, this foundation, Caduceus was created by Mr Meadham. He is a very rich man, and some years ago he found a... non conventional threat that almost killed him. He decide then to use his vast fortune to fight those menaces. Of course, this cannot be spoken openly, so Caduceus has a facade of an humanitarian organization to help people in need. So we investigate places that have some strange rumors, then we sent Cauduceus as an humanitarian relief organization to help people in need, and trust me, there is people in need everywhere and we actually really help people. That staff, doesn't know anything of the real goal of the organization, but one of the members know; that member makes an avaliation, and then send a report here asking for help against the OTHER kind of threat. Well, in your case, there wasn't suppose to be a threat, since the mummy was sleeping. About the other dangers, we didn't knew the nazis were involved. Now, you must understand, most rumors are just that, with zero danger, except the diseases and ocasional bandits. It is basically paid vacations to those involved. But in this case it was very diferent."

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did you know about the snake people?" asks Harry. "Are we supposed to believe it's just a coincidence that this organization's symbol contains a couple of snakes?"

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:09 pm
by kabukiman
"Of course we know. It is thanks for them that we exist. Our founder, Mr Meadham was almost killed by one of those creature and decide to create Caduceus. Our name is kind of a declaration of war. Our fourse, we discovered latter, that those snakes weren't a bunch of isolated creatures, but inteligent and organized, but he didn't want to change the name as a kind of challenge to them."

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It would have been nice to know that before we went in," says Harry. "Just how many of them are there? Is this a war we can win?"

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:04 am
by aine
“That one snake man we met didn’t seem too bad. I mean, it’s incredible there’s a new species been discovered but we shouldn’t go and just exterminate them all.
Those evilly dark things on the steps are a different matter of course.”
Jan says.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:06 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

"So what's next? Where's the next snake fight?"

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Indeed, why do we need yet another war? Can't we negotiate with these...snake people? Learn from them, teach them,' says Alex, thinking back to his missionary days.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:04 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley turns to stare at Alex. "Negotiate? With snakes?"

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:32 am
by kabukiman
"Well, the planet is ours. After all, we walk openly at day, we build cities, so I guess you could say we win. Or at least our ancestors win. But this creatures are still dangerous and like the ones who crawl, they can bite... literally. We don't know how much they are, and it is to learn about them, that we recovered the one in the pyramide. It seems she had a more favorable vision of mankind."

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"How so?" asks Harry. "Does she just want to enslave all mankind instead of wiping us out?"

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:35 pm
by Starspawn338

Butch listens to the others talking before he chimes in with his questions.

"What have you or Caduceus learned about this threat? Do you know that they are bent on taking over our planet? How many times have they been encountered and have all the interactions been hostile?"

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:58 pm
by kabukiman
"In theory yes but..." (he seems to hesitate and then finally says:) "I'm not sure about that. That's why I want you to talk with her secretly. Look, I have here some documents that you must read that includes what we know about the serpent people. Just read them now, and we will talk latter."

The document isn't very big, but some parts are in naacal, so it takes time to read all.
The serpent people seems to be native to earth, and they had empires before mankind existed, that have long vanished.A religious schism happened somewhere in the past: one side worship Yig the fater of the serpents, the other Tsathoggua, an evil toad creature, that revels in acts of cruelty and depravity. This latter faction call itself "The inner night". The follower of Yig seem to understand that a war against humankind would be a disaster for them, because the numbers and technology that humans have, so they just hide themselves. The "inner night" has a plan (unknow for now) to destroy humans, but the means and objectives are yet to be discovered.

It takes a full day to read it. After you finish:
Loss 1d4 of san.
+5percentile in cthulhy mythos.
+ 10 in naacal

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:12 pm
by Mephistophilis

'And so this Snake Woman we've dragged out of the jungle is a particularly receptive follower of Yig? You are attempting to make diplomatic contact?' huffs Alex. He's reluctant to admit it but it seems like the most sensible course of action. Perhaps Caduceus are not entirely nefarious.

L1d4

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can talk to her," says Harry, "but I'm not about to trust a snake. Isn't that what got mankind in this mess in the first place?"

Sanity loss for reading the document:
1d4

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:29 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

"All I really want is a nice historical mystery to solve. If there are some snakes to fight, brilliant, if there are some of those crazy Nazis to fight, so much the better. I hate those guys."

"Hopefully, Caduceus keeps paying the bills."

1d4

OOC:   1 SAN lost.

Crowley will use his Resilient Talent and lose 1 Luck.  

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 am
by Mephistophilis

Alex tuts at Harry, 'It's really more complicated than calling the Great Deceiver a simple snake, the imagery, metaphor even...' He trails off as he realises no one is listening.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:40 pm
by kabukiman
"Well, I'm not sure she is indeed a follower of Yig. That is why I want you to talk to her. Before someone else does"

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
Rubbing his hands, Alex can barely disguise his glee. 'Talk to her, do you mean she is awake?'

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"How is she even still alive after all this time?" asks Harry.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:31 am
by Starspawn338

Sanity Loss
1d4

"Well, I'm more for doing something about this than reading about it." Butch says after reading what he can. "You let me know when you need me again."

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 pm
by aine
Jan’s world is crumbling as she realises it’s very different to how she’d imagined. She pulls out her hip flask and takes a large swig. She drains the flask and looks at it with disgust.
“I need to get drunk.” She mutters.
San loss: 4, now at worrying levels: 41

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't mind joining you," says Harry, though he knows she could drink him (and anyone else) under the table.

Mine's even worse, down to 39, and the chapter hasn't even properly started yet.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:26 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

Crowley is looking intrigued. "I would very much like to hear from an ancient snake woman. What sights had she seen? What mysteries can she answer?"

OOC:   Cry me a river, team. Were it not for the Resilient talent, Crowley would have permanently checked into the padded room by now.  

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Alex is doing surprisingly well for SAN. Although nearly 20% in Cthulhu Mythos is not going to help.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:55 am
by kabukiman
Shapiro opens the door and see that very few people are now in the offices. He nods and take you by a stair and then an elevator. He follow a corridor and then you see a cell. The walls are decorated with images of tropical forests and mayan pyramides. There is a simple bed, and a chair where the snakewomen is seated with a ... bored look? She seems a bit interested when she sees you.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is a far cry from the Plaza," says Harry, "but I can see why you wouldn't keep her there. Too many muckrakers. Still, this place doesn't exactly seem fit for a queen."

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:25 am
by Mephistophilis
Alex is overcome with excitement, the opportunity to talk to an ancient snakeperson! To find out about their history, their way of thinking, their religion. He tries to scrape together what little Nahacal he has learned to attempt a simple greeting. Then introduces himself:

'Greetings, my name is Father Alexander Malone, I am a priest of our people. I trust you are being treated well as befits your position.'

HL19%d%LLd1d10

So that's 22%. I'll spend the 3 Luck to be able to converse with her.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 am
by kabukiman
OOC: All the others can try to roll naacal

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry hasn't learned enough Naacal to be able to follow the words.

Language (Naacal) roll (15% skill) to understand the conversation:
d%

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:33 pm
by aine
Jan listens to the gobbledegook with polite interest.
Roll: 53 fail

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 am
by Snapper
Crowley:

1d%L20%

OOC:   Regular success.  

Crowley practises his basic grasp of the language, slowly and carefully.

"Madam, we are very honoured to meet you now that you are awake. We would be very interested to hear about you and your past."

"And perhaps one day in the future, you might be willing to join me - I mean us - for a dinner at one of the best restaurants in this fine city."

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:04 pm
by Starspawn338

Language (Naacal)
1d100

Butch listens to the others try to communicate with the snake lady but cannot understand anything they are saying. It's fine though, communicating with aliens isn't really his thing.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:22 am
by kabukiman
Her eyes seem to open wide and she answers:
"You speak my language? That is good. It was frustrating to not having anyone to comunicate. I am Tyranissh of MU. I am... was a scientist. I have been sleeping for a long time it seems. You said you were a priest? Of what divinity? (she seems more cautious here). And what is a restaurant?"

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:32 am
by Snapper

Crowley jumps in before Alex can bore the poor lady-snake to death.

"A restaurant is, ah, a pleasant public building where people come and pay money for very nice food to be cooked for them. Hopefully nice anyway."

"It is a chance to spend time with friends or, ah, potential husbands or wives or, ah... It is an enjoyable experience." Crowley has talked himself into a conversational hole.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
Alex just about manages to conceal his mirth at Crowley's ill-conceived flirtation but he's impressed by his command of the Naacal language. He detects the snakewoman's hesitance at his mention of being a priest and struggles to suppress his desire to proselytise, Not the time old man.

'Greetings Tyranissh of Mu. It is a pleasure to talk to you, you are only the second of your kind that I have conversed with. The others we have encountered have been...less friendly. I am a priest, but of the human religion of Christianity, the followers of Jesus. I would like to tell you about it some time but perhaps not right now. We are aware of the schism between the followers of The Father of Serpents and the followers of Tsathoggua. I can assure you I am unconnected with either.'

He is so excited to be conversing with an ancient serpent people scientist he's almost lost for what to ask her.

'We have many questions for you, the opportunity to speak to a scientist from an ancient race is...unprecedented. But is there anything else you wish to ask of us?' He gestures to his companions. 'With your permission my colleague and I...'' He points at the flustered Crowley, 'Will interpret for the other humans.'

Looking to see if Alex knows anything about Mu. But now I think about it, also Yig and Tsathoggua. HLHH19%d% Ah, fail. I think I'll save the Luck

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry waits for a translation, unable to understand the exchange.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:49 am
by Snapper

Crowley notices the glazed looks from the others and for their benefit says in English, "She was a scientist."

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:12 am
by kabukiman
"I thank you. You say there was a scism? In my time, there was indeed a division between those two groups, but it wasn't very serious. So there are now two nations? Who win in Mu? At least they seem to got some sense and stoped their stupid plans, since you humans are so organized and walk freely."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wonder what kinds of advanced technology she knows how to make," says Harry.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:27 pm
by aine
“This will all end in tears.” Jan reckons from what she has gleaned from the others’ remarks. She shakes her head and goes to sit on an empty stool. She takes out her hip flask and takes a swig.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 am
by kabukiman
Shapiro tells you:

"Ask her if she know what are the plans of those different cults"

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:34 pm
by Starspawn338

"A scientist? What kind of scientist? Butch asks. "I do hope it's one of the physical scientists. I would love to see some of their mechanical goods."

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
'She is asking the outcome of the fight for Mu,' says Alex. 'Do we know anything about Mu?' he asks Shapiro.

Returning to address the snakewoman in Naacal, he says, 'I believe the divisions between those two groups may have grown. You mention their plans, what were they intending?'

Pointing at Harry and Butch he says 'My more excitable friends here are interested in the science and technology of your people and how it compares to our own. Tyrannish, may I ask what being a scientist involves among your people?' He indicates Butch and says, 'Mr Ronson here is a...,' Alex struggles to translate the concept of an engineer into his limited kowledge of Naacal, '...a sort of scientist as well.'

While Alex is fascinated by this ancient scientist he's also a little concerned at how she dismissed the schism between the two groups of serpent people and wonders if she could be hiding anything.

pHL71%d%

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:17 pm
by kabukiman
"Well, the followers of Yig saw you useful as servants and ocasionally as sacrifices. The others thought you were trully dangerous and should be ... contained. My specialization? I worked in the secrets of life. I was able to transform humans in my kind and vice-versa. But my biggets achievement was to be able to transform any of them in hybrids that keept all their aspect but could mate with both. That was my objective actually: transform my kind in hybrids to mix with your kind and finish the division. It was the most logical thing to do: we were decreasing in numbers and on the contrary your kind is increasing and is much more dynamic. But my brethen didn't agreed."

OOC; She knows that there was some division but not so bad as it turned latter.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll pass on that myself," says Harry when the others translate. "I prefer human women."

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:32 am
by Snapper

Crowley pulls up the cuff of his "dodgy" right leg, pulls down the sock slightly and shows the snake-woman his newly acquired scales.

"I got this while we were rescuing you. Is there anything you can tell me about it?"

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:23 am
by kabukiman
She looks astonished and then says:

"I created a device that could transform a creature in one of my kind immediatly, but it was very dangerous and it could kill so I abandoned it. It seems someone has reduced it's potency to transform only parts of the body, indeed a less dangerouss approach. I guess it was one of my collegues. It was probably meant as a joke. Only my people was supposed to enter the pyramide"

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:06 pm
by Snapper

"A joke? Marvellous." Crowley is slightly lost for words.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:37 pm
by aine
“Crowley, the first inter-species comedian. Marvellous!” Jan smiles.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not a very funny joke," says Harry. "They need better material."

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:09 am
by Snapper

Crowley attempts to marshall his wits.

"Can this be reversed then?" He asks, hopefully.

Another, stranger thought occurs to him. "On the other hand, you mentioned something about creating hybrids who could be, ah, romantically involved with both snake people and humans. Am I currently in that category?"

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:37 am
by Starspawn338

Nacaal 15
1d100

I'll spend the 12 Luck to understand what's being said if I can.

Butch is listening to the Nacaal jibberish picking out a word here or there, but he raises an eyebrow at Crowley's last statement.

"Is he hitting on the snake mummy?

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:59 pm
by kabukiman
"Yes you are, or your body would have rejected the leg and it would be rotting. To reverse I would need to study the machine and it could be dangerous. But tell me, how is your nation of humans relationship with Mu? I understand that the place where I was sleeping is in your hands, but and the rest?"

Shapiro asks;
"What are they talking about? Did she say anything about the organization we are fighting?"

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Most people don't know where Mu is," says Harry after the translation. "Most people probably haven't even heard of it. Anything she can tell us about it would be helpful, even if it is long out of date."

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 pm
by aine
“I take it we’re to be on the side of these snake people and not the other snake people then?”
Jan asks.
“We have an ambassador already.” She looks at Crowley.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Alex tries his best to ignore Crowley's evident fascination with cross-species hybridisation. Unfortunately he can't help a few likely images of lurid magazine covers intruding into his thoughts, featuring scantily clad lizard-women inspired by Crowley's purple prose.

Unfamiliar with this land of My, Alex asks, 'The land of Mu is probably named differently by my people. Can you describe it's location?'

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:02 pm
by kabukiman
"It is a beautiful island, hot and full of massive trees in the middle of the great ocean. There are other islands and it is between two large continents. We have great monuments in our island too"

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
Alex relays the description. He asks Shapiro, 'Do we have any maps we could show her?'

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:21 am
by Snapper

"I believe I shall keep my snake leg the way it is," Crowley announces, attempting to not look lecherous.

"An island with statues makes me think of Easter Island, of course. But then it could be one of the major islands in the Med. It could even be Great Britain."

OOC:   Is there an appropriate skill to roll to identify which island it might be?  

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"The great ocean must be the Pacific," says Harry. "There are a lot of islands there that fit that description, such as the Hawaiian Islands, but they're not the only ones. Easter Island could be it, but a map would help narrow it down."

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:54 pm
by aine
“I once listened to a very dull lecture about the Easter Islands. I can’t remember any mention about tall trees there.” Says Jan.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:01 am
by Snapper

Crowley nods. "I believe the consensus is the Easter Islanders chopped down all their trees some centuries ago, probably to their later regret."

"I suspect the whole world has changed somewhat since this lady last viewed it. Bring on the world map."

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:07 am
by Mephistophilis

'I suggest we don't tell the lady about the ecological devastation wrought by our species just yet,' advises Alex.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:36 pm
by kabukiman
After some minutes, someone brings a map. She looks at the beggining amazed, it is obious that much things have changed. After a while she starts looking at the pacific ocean. She points to a large area in the pacific (but smaller than australia) perpendicular to Chile and Peru (yes, it may include easter island... or not). and she loock puzzled at you, like if something was missing.
"Where is Mu? It is missing in this map."

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ask her where exactly it's supposed to be," says Harry when he gets the translation, "and how big it is. Maybe she can draw it on the map."

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:13 pm
by Mephistophilis

'The world may have changed a lot while you slept,' suggests Alex. 'Where should Mu be on this map?' He looks to Shapiro and asks in English, 'Do we know anything of Mu? Any rumour of what befell it?'

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:20 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Can Crowley make a History roll?  

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:14 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: yes

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   I'll roll Occult for Alex as well in case that might tell him anything...Dammit  
L79%d%

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:44 am
by Snapper

1d%H70%

OOC:   Fail.  

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:25 am
by kabukiman
She makes a rough sketch and you are pretty sure there isn't anything like that in the area she is pointing.

"This is useless. We need to leave now before someone else comes. I need to speak with you now".

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:28 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Was that her or Shapiro?  

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:41 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Sorry, you are right. Shapiro.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go," says Harry, still hoping they can find Mu.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:48 pm
by Snapper

"Of course." Crowley is looking rather pleased with the world. "Finding lost cities is my passion."

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 am
by kabukiman
When you are alone with shapiro in his office he says:
"Well, I have another subject to talk to you: there is a problem in Borneo. And your team has proved to be more than capable to handle this kind of problems."

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:44 pm
by Snapper

"Do tell. Although, finding lost islands sounds like more fun." Crowley lights another fragrant French cigarette.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:51 pm
by Mephistophilis

'By "problem" do you mean perilous and life threatening situation?'

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is this problem snake people or Nazi-related, by any chance?" asks Harry.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:54 am
by kabukiman
"Probably snake-people. If it is, it's very dangerous. If it isn't... well there are still risks."

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:36 pm
by Starspawn338

"Isn't Mu supposed to be a lost continent like Atlantis?" Butch says after they leave the snake queen. "I've never believed in the stories, I guess. I thought maybe it was a volcanic or earthquake sinking an island in the ocean. But maybe there's more to it than that."

Turning to Shapiro, he continues, "What do you want us to do?"

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"What are the other risks?" asks Harry.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:43 pm
by aine
“Likely poisonous snakes, man eating sharks, dishonest locals and volcanic eruptions.” Jan says dryly.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:26 am
by Snapper

Crowley shrugs, unconcerned. "That pretty much describes my last date night."

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:22 am
by kabukiman
"Well, some potential hostils locals, earthquakes and a plague"- he says angry with Jan remark.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"The usual, then," says Harry. "What's the mission?"

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:23 am
by kabukiman
"Well, in Borneo, The North Borneo Chartered Company has contacted us for assistance, since they know we help local populations that suffer from plagues. The first symptoms of what is believed to be infectious hepatitis appeared on March 16th in a remote area, where some digging was made. The first deaths occurred on March 18th.
The company believes the outbreak to be an unusual form of infectious hepatitis; one that is acting at an accelerated rate. Subjects with the disease normally display first symptoms two to six weeks after infection. Such symptoms normally last up to eight weeks, which can result in acute liver failure and death. In the recent outbreak, subjects have died just two days after displaying symptoms in North Borneo. From the information we have been able to obtain, it is believed that the outbreak could be the Yellow Death, a serpent person biological weapon designed to depopulate areas of human habitation. Thus, we suspect the involvement of the Inner Night. Our team’s mission is to enter the quarantine site, allowing our scientists to determine whether or not this is the Yellow Death at work. The team will then determine whether there is an Inner Night presence, find out what their objective is, and stop them. I will go with you of course."

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:43 pm
by Starspawn338

"If this is a known serpent person biological weapon, is there an antidote or way to cure it that we can administer or take to avoid becoming one of the victims ourselves?"

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 pm
by aine
Jan nods vehemently in agreement, very much alarmed at the mention of plagues. “I’d much rather the volcanic variety of eruptions, at least you can see it coming.” She mutters.

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Could our guest know anything about it? Any ways to treat it?' asks Alex.

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking," says Harry. "If there's a cure, she ought to know about it."

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:18 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Can Crowley make a Know or History roll to know something abhor 1930s Borneo?  

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:34 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:18 am
OOC:   Can Crowley make a Know or History roll to know something abhor 1930s Borneo?  
OOC: Yes you can.

"Actually, we have a much better solution. You see, we have an artefact from the serpent people that can decode any sample of a disease, identify it and if possible, give the formula of the antidote. But not to the yellow plague: it was made to avoid any possible cure. Yes, they were a nice bunch. We can only hope that it is a normal disease, so we can actually save the local population."

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:28 pm
by Snapper

1d%H70%

1d%75%

Crowley thoughtfully smokes his Frenchy cigarette, and thinks about Borneo. "Hmmm..."

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:56 pm
by Mephistophilis

'And how do we avoid exposure to this Yellow Plague ourselves?' asks Alex. He's plenty of experience of missionary work and the myriad diseases that can be picked up in the jungle. The best thing is not to be exposed in the first place. 'How is it spread?'

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:01 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:28 pm Image

1d%H70%

1d%75%

Crowley thoughtfully smokes his Frenchy cigarette, and thinks about Borneo. "Hmmm..."

In 1658, the territory that would become known as North Borneo was ceded to the Sultan of Sulu by the Sultan of Brunei as a gift for helping in a civil war that occurred in Brunei. In 1865, the United States Consul to Brunei secured a 10-year lease for the territory, which then passed in 1875 to Baron Gustav von Overbeck, Consul of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Von Overbeck obtained financial backing from British colonial merchants and
ntrepreneurs Alfred and Edward Dent but ultimately failed in his attempts to sell the territory to Italy for use as a penal colony. Consequently, von Overbeck departed and left Alfred Dent in control. The Dent brothers obtained a Royal Charter in 1881 and formed the North Borneo Chartered Company (NBCC). From 1881 to 1942, the NBCC controlled North Borneo in much the same way as the British Empire administered its colonial footholds. NBCC divided the land into “Residencies” comprised of “Provinces” (later called Districts) run by District Officers. British officials
held top posts while native chiefs controlled affairs at the local level. Generally, North Borneo was peaceful under the company’s control; however, the colonial administration, the implementation of taxes, and the loss of land to European controlled plantations generated resentment from the local population. Sikh policemen (recruited from North India) maintained law and order, although the British Army (stationed in North Borneo) could be called upon if a situation got out of hand. The company’s administration and law enforcement provided a foundation for economic growth where
previously conflicts between tribes and piracy had been widespread. Chinese immigrants helped to increase the workforce, leading to the
stablishment of timber, tobacco, and rubber industries.

To Alex:
If it is the yellow plague, we need to avoid eat and drink local food or have... intimate contacts with the locals. It is not something you get from the air.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:22 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Avoiding intimate contact should be feasible for most of us,' notes Alex, looking sceptically at Crowley. 'Food and drink less so.'

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not drinking the water is good advice in many foreign parts anyway," says Harry. "We'll have to bring enough food and water of our own."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:06 am
by kabukiman
"Very well, if You all agreed and don't have any further questions, I think we can end this meeting for today."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:21 pm
by Snapper
OOC:   Assume Crowley has passed on everything he recalls about Borneo to the rest of the party.  

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:15 pm
by Mephistophilis

'It sounds like we have ourselves another expedition, I hope the students can manage with us gone for so long,' notes Alex, clearly not missing his teaching duties one jot.

'I do have one question though, Dr Shapiro. You are a medical doctor?'

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure mine will manage," says Harry. "They always do. I'm often in the field, and I don't get to teach as much these days anyway."

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:27 am
by Starspawn338

"Knowing we can't breathe it in gives some measure of solace I suppose." Butch says. "I assume you are making the travel arrangements? We will need food and water for... how many days will we be there?"

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:03 am
by kabukiman
"We will stay two weeks there, If we don't have a solution, we leave and order a quarantine where nobody enters or pass until the disease finishes. We cannot permit to affect other regions. And yes, I'm a doctor."

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 am
by Snapper

"I suspect my students will be popping the champagne when they hear I'm off again. Ungrateful little rodents."

"Well, I'm ready to leave. Is the snake lady coming too?"

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"When do we leave?" asks Harry.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 am
by kabukiman
"No, the snake women is not going. We cannot leave such a precious creatures free and we need to be sure of her objectivea. But as soon as we return you can talk with her again. We are leaving tonmorrow. make any prparations you need"

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:10 pm
by Snapper

"Well, I'm already packed. Any chance of taking the snake lady out to dinner?"

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"While she might like to have you for dinner," says Harry, "she may interpret that somewhat differently than you would."

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:59 am
by Starspawn338

"Well I'm going to have a nice long bath and then sleep in a comfortable bed." Butch intones. "Who knows what kind of sleep we'll get in another jungle. Except in addition to insects, this one will have a plague to contend with also."

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:24 am
by kabukiman
OOC; If everyone is ok, we will advance the story.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:41 am
by Snapper
👍

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:53 pm
by aine
“I’m going to find a bar.” Jan says. “Anyone want to join me? Otherwise I’ll see you all bright and early at the station.”
👍

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"A bar sounds good," says Harry. "After this, I could use a drink or three." He knows Jan would need ten drinks to have the same effect on her. He's not about to get into a drinking contest with her.

I'm ready to advance.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:09 am
by Mephistophilis

'Well I wouldn't say no to just the one drink,' mutters the old priest, 'It's been quite the day.'

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:29 am
by kabukiman
You leave the building and are in a bar very near. The place is full (people is still enjoying the end of the prohibition). The bartender asks you what you want.

OOC: Changed my mind.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:15 pm
by Snapper

"Scotch whisky, neat, thank you." Crowley is looking unreasonably happy with the world. It is slightly frightening.

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll have the same," says Harry, glad that Prohibition is a thing of the past.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:42 pm
by Mephistophilis

Nodding approvingly at Crowley and Harry, Alex says 'The same, a double, dash of water please.' He warms the glass in his hands and then takes a few sips before knocking the rest back. 'I'd prefer a real Irish whiskey but you've got to take what you can get nowadays,' he observes. 'I don't have a good feeling about this next little trip.'

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:11 pm
by aine
“I’ll take the rest of the bottle.” Jan says to the bar man. “Better give me a glass too.”
She carries it to the table and joins the others, pouring herself a triple. She knocks it back.
“Yes, it sounds bad. Especially that business about the plague.” She shivers.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:57 pm
by Mephistophilis

Alex signals the barman for another and drinks a finger, sucking the air between his teeth as the burning liquor runs down his throat. He shakes his head, 'I'm worried about that too,' he agrees. 'Working in the Amazon we had many outbreaks, yellow fever, malaria, leishmaniasis. Once they get going they're hard to avoid. I've had malaria more than once myself. I'm not sure we'll be able to avoid this infectious hepatitis or malignant 'Yellow Death' once we're in country.'

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"If it is the Yellow Death," says Harry, knocking back his whisky, "at least we can avoid it simply by not partaking in the local...offerings."

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 am
by kabukiman
After a while it is time to close the place. When you are preparing to pay, the bartenders says:
"No need to pay. That gentlement have already take care of your bill".

He points to a person that is sit in a table alone. He is dressed in a black suit, with a white hat. He must be in his late 20's, olive skin, and is smoking a cigar. Italian maybe?

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:52 pm
by Mephistophilis

Lighting a cigarillo, Alex heads on over to the Italian to say thank you, and check the man out. He only sways slightly after an evening of drinking.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry also approaches, a little more steady on his feet.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:52 am
by kabukiman
"Hello friends! I remember reading about you in a newspaper about some expeditions. I like reading about things like that."
He has indeed a thick italian accent.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:33 pm
by aine
Jan looks at him through narrowed eyes and, swaying slightly, says,
“We could tell you some fine stories of our adventures but we seem to have run out of drink!”

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:05 pm
by Mephistophilis

'How fortuitous that we happened to be here at the same time as you,' he notes drily. Narrowing his eyes he peers at the stranger, wondering what his agenda is.

pHL71%d%

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you," says Harry, extending his hand. "I'm Harry Smith. And you are?"

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:33 am
by kabukiman
"My name is Filemone Casale. I work for a company of import and export. Licquor and things like that. All perfectly legit".
He makes a sign to the bartender to fill the glasses.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:44 am
by Snapper

Crowley has ambled over to stand behind his companions and listen in.

OOC:   Know roll to recognise the name? Or perhaps Anthropology to identify the man's ethnic heritage?  

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not so long ago, it wasn't, not in this country," says Harry. "Personally, I'm glad they did away with Prohibition."

I believe we were already told that he has an Italian accent.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:52 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Yes, but perhaps there's more to it or we're being misled... Eg. An Italian accent with a touch of Atlantian?

Or, more practically, he had the distinctive features of the Sicilian...  

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sliding in to sit beside the Italian, Alex gratefully takes a glass of liquor and raises it to him, 'Sláinte. Your health.'

Now he's a bit nearer he takes the opportunity to study the man closer. Amiably he continues to sip his drink and make small-talk. 'And what brings a gentleman of your entrepreneurial talents here?'.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:39 pm
by kabukiman
OOC. You can make a roll of Anthropology.

"Drinking and relaxing of course!" - And he winks.
"Just imagine my surprise when I saw people famous here"

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:54 pm
by aine
Jan grabs the bottle and pours two shots, one for herself and one for the Italian. She drinks hers and looks at him pointedly and then smiles.
Anthropology 36 roll: 8

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
HpL10%d%

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:36 pm
by Snapper

1d00250020HpL0020410025

OOC:   Fail.  

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry has a fairly good idea about Casale's origins.

Anthropology roll (36% skill) about Casale:
d%

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:57 am
by kabukiman
The guy is italian, sicilian no doubt.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:19 pm
by aine
“Are you going to drink, Signor?” Jan asks him. She pours herself another and downs it.
“You have some catching up to do.”

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Harry nods, knowing that a little drink will loosen his tongue, and a lot of drink may make him spill his guts. Once the Italian man has had enough, he asks "What's your opinion of Mussolini?"

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:00 am
by kabukiman
He starts drinking.
"I don't like him. He ruined many honest businessman. And I defend democracy like this one in America."

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good," says Harry with a smile. "I agree with you. I don't like him either, and I like his buddy Hitler even less. We've had run-ins with some of his goons before."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:13 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Historicaly, the fascists and nazis didn't have very a very good relations at this time and Mussolini despised Htler. It was only in 1937 that they started to become friends. But this is a pulp game, so they are all the baddies.

"Oh? I'm sorry to hear that. Those guys are always against bothering someone who is indeed doing honest work."- he makes a sign to the bartender to ge more drinks.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:26 am
by Snapper

Crowley stands at the back of the group, listening in. Criminals are criminals, whether in Istanbul or New York, has been his experience.

He starts discreetly looking about to see if there are other dodgy individuals in the premises, possibly associated with the Italian.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"There are two types of people in the world," says Harry. "Those who want to be left alone, and those who won't leave them alone." He figures that Casale is probably with the Sicilian Mafia, which is often at odds with Mussolini and his fascists, but he doesn't say anything in front of him.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:01 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Well, unlees you have something else to ask, we can now move?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:25 am
by Snapper
OOC:   Yep.  

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:39 pm
by aine
Ooc: Lightweights.
Yes, okay.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Agreed.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   I'm sure we'll find out more about this slippery character later!