Part 1 - Ice and Time

It's the Harlem Renaissance, hepcats, where no one can take away a Black man's self-respect. But even in a promised land, people have their troubles, and people have to do for one another - so put on your righteous duds and make Harlem all it can be!

Year 1927.

Moderator: SunlessNick

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Part 1 - Ice and Time

Post by SunlessNick »

It's June 1927, and the Renaissance is in full swing. Black literature, art, dance, stage, and most especially music have gained a level of recognition that would have seemed an impossible dream only a decade before. Even whites flock to see pianists and hornmen perform at the clubs in Jungle Alley - though staff and bouncers are still careful not to allow the musicians to mix with the audience. Harlem has become a place where black men and women can stroll with pride and dignity.

Despite these accomplishments, many still find it hard to make ends meet. Leonard and Amelia Wright are in that boat right now, and are holding a rent party to cover their apartment for the month. The food is good, and the cover charge to get it in is easily worth it, because Leonard served with legendary pianist Willie Smith, the Lion himself, in the Hellfighters, and Willie has agreed to take some turns on the keys himself. The party will be loud, but the neighbours are sure to be stomping along instead of complaining.

The Wrights have a son in Mott Hall, which secured Mr Lammons's invitation. Meanwhile Miss Johnson was brought along by her friend Charlotte Covington (whom she gets to call CC) - who also has a son in Mott Hall, through which connection she knows she Wrights - JJ has paid to get in, so no one's going to make her sing, but more than a few people will be hoping she does.

[It's up to you two whether Ellis and JJ know each other already]

Both JJ and Ellis know that Charlotte is a widow - her husband Alexander died a few years ago of tuberculosis - her oldest son Alexander Junior works to help support the family, and between them they've managed to keep his brother (James, now 15) and sisters (Mary and Judith) in school.

As the party goes on, JJ increasingly gets the feeling that Charlotte really doesn't want to be there, and is badly bothered about something. Ellis can see it too every time their eyes meet, and it reminds him that James has seemed troubled lately as well, though he hasn't spoken about it to anyone that Ellis knows of.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Part 1 - Ice and Time

Post by HoneyDog »

Ellis feels a little out of place at the party, not sure why he accepted the invitation. As a school teacher, he has a reputation to consider, so he is on his best behavior. Therefore he is kind of glad of the excuse to talk to James, and find out what is bothering him.

James he begins. “Can you spare me a minute?”

He cocks his head, indicating that they go outside.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacqueline Johnson is more than happy to sing. During a lull in the party, she takes Charlotte aside and speaks privately with her. "Is something wrong?" she asks her. "Whatever it is, you can tell me, just between us girls."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:James he begins. “Can you spare me a minute?”

He cocks his head, indicating that they go outside.
"Of course, sir," James replies. "Is it about school? I know I've not been my best." He follows Ellis outside and waits for whatever the teacher wants to ask. The party is still quite audible, either in the street or the hallway, but at least somewhat muted - the conversation can be quiet enough to be private.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:Jacqueline Johnson is more than happy to sing. During a lull in the party, she takes Charlotte aside and speaks privately with her. "Is something wrong?" she asks her. "Whatever it is, you can tell me, just between us girls."
"I... I don't know what to do," she blurts out. "I only came to help Amelia out. I couldn't leave her in the lurch. But I should be at home. It's Alexander Junior. I haven't seen him in three days, and I don't know where he is. He's never stayed away like this, I'm so worried, but I don't know who to go to for help. There's no point asking the police, they'll just look for a reason to arrest him. What do you think I should do?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Would you like to tell me what's on your mind, James?" Ellis asks. "You seem out of sorts lately. I don't want to intrude, but something's obviously troubling you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course I'll help you, CC," says Jacqueline. "I'm sure there are other people here who would be willing to help out too. We can ask questions around the neighborhood, see if anyone else has seen him or knows what happened to him, talk to his school friends and teachers, that sort of thing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:"Would you like to tell me what's on your mind, James?" Ellis asks. "You seem out of sorts lately. I don't want to intrude, but something's obviously troubling you."
"I've been having-" he starts. Then he seems to switch tack. "It's my brother, sir. None of us have seen him for days, not me or Mom, or Mary or Judith. Mom tells me not to be scared, that he's just working hard, but I know she's scared too. I'm afraid the..." he tails off again, but he obviously wants to unburden himself, and it only takes a little more prompting to make him continue. "There's a man in my dreams, looking for me. But I know he's real, because Alexander's seen him too."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Of course I'll help you, CC," says Jacqueline. "I'm sure there are other people here who would be willing to help out too. We can ask questions around the neighborhood, see if anyone else has seen him or knows what happened to him, talk to his school friends and teachers, that sort of thing."
"Oh thankyou JJ! Alexander Junior works delivering ice. I think he's got friends there, but I don't know them. I think he's talked about an Elijah somebody, but I don't want to go to the company by myself."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

James’ reply startles Ellis.

“What man? Do you know him?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No problem," says Jacqueline. "I can go with you. What's the company's name, and where is it located?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:“What man? Do you know him?”
"No, sir. But I think he knows me. He calls me by name. He says he needs my help, but I'm afraid of him."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"No problem," says Jacqueline. "I can go with you. What's the company's name, and where is it located?"
"He buys from Colonial," CC replies. JJ would be aware that that's the wholesaler, Colonial Ice and Coal on 8th and 151st - ice deliverymen buy direct from it and sell to homes and businesses around Harlem - but most of the deliverymen are Italian, and a lot of them resent the black segment of the workforce - it's not a surprise that CC would be worried about going there alone, especially if it would give them an excuse to think Alexander Junior is unreliable.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Why?” asks Ellis. "Why does he need your help, and why are you afraid?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:“Why?” asks Ellis. "Why does he need your help, and why are you afraid?"
"He says I'm his blood, sir. But he's a white man. And the look in his eyes. They're like a monster's eyes." With a slight choke in his voice, he says, "I know I sound like a little boy. Not the way you teach me to be. I told Alexander about my dreams, and he said he had them too."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Okay, we'll go there together first thing in the morning," says Jacqueline. "In the meantime, we can canvass the other guests at the party and see who else might know something or be willing to help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“It’s okay, James says Ellis, patting his shoulder. “I can’t blame you for being unsettled. Did Alexander tell you anything else about the dreams?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

HoneyDog wrote:“It’s okay, James says Ellis, patting his shoulder. “I can’t blame you for being unsettled. Did Alexander tell you anything else about the dreams?”
"Only that the man had said the same things to him, sir."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:"In the meantime, we can canvass the other guests at the party and see who else might know something or be willing to help."
"Thankyou. Thankyou, JJ." CC brushes her eyes briefly. "I think I saw James with his teacher just now."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I see” says Ellis. “Well, we’d best try to find out where he is. Have you contacted his workplace?”

Return to “Harlem Unbound”