IC - 16 - Day 3 - Kris

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: IC - 16 - Day 3 - Kris

Post by Mephistophilis »

As predicted Kris can see traces of dried blood around the window frame where the burglar or burglars cut themselves on the glass. There are some bloody fingerprints smudged on the window frame, light switch, cupboards, and fridge door.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

Kris makes a mental note to call the SOCO. If the person who left the prints had form, they shouldn’t be hard to find and an early arrest certainly couldn’t hurt his career prospects, slim as they were.

He called through to the vet. ”It looks like the burglar cut themselves on the glass when they broke it. Are any bandages missing?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

She wanders back in, 'I don't know, let's take a look in the cupboards.' She opens the cupboard doors and starts poking around, 'Yeah, few bandages missing. Gah, and some needles and syringes, bloody junkies.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

A suspicion was already curdling in Kris’ mind. ”I don’t think it’s junkies,” he said quietly. “Check your insulin supplies.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Roll Luck
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Luck (41%) - 0 That about sums it up... :roll:
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Insulin? Why would anyone try and steal insulin?' she asks.

Kris follows her back to the store room where she looks in the fridge, compared to the cupboard it is still fairly organised. She looks through and holds up some glass vials, 'We do use insulin, cats and dogs get diabetes. Here, this is Caninsulin, and this is ProZinc, they're the most common ones, but I don't think there's been any taken.' She rummages towards the back and takes out another vial, 'This is Lantus long acting insulin, it's actually a human medication that we use unlicensed in animals, but I don't think any's missing either.'

She stands back up again, 'Sorry, I can't find anything's missing.' She flicks through a hard bound notebook, 'We sometimes have some short acting stuff, Lispro, that's another unlicensed one, I can't find any in the fridge but I don't think we had any in stock anyway.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Just, ah, an enquiry I’ve been working on,” said Kris, trying to keep the emotion from his voice. “I’m going to take a look outside, see if I can find out anything else about our burglars. In the meantime, please don’t touch the fingerprints on the lightswitch and the fridge door. I know it’s a mess but I’ll get the SOCO to come and take a look.”

Excusing himself, he went outside and around to the broken window where the burglars had made their entrance, looking around for any further clues.
OOC,Spot hidden (40%) - 0
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The veterinary surgery is on the Botley Road which runs westward from the centre of Oxford. This section is a mixture of residential and light commercial properties, delis, bakeries, that sort of thing. The surgery itself lies on the south side of the road, bounded by the river on the western side and housing to the east. On the north side of the road is an upmarket supermarket.

The broken window is towards the rear of the building, it is not visible from the road and the carpark is overhung by many trees making it quite secluded.

There is no glass on the ground outside the window, suggesting it was broken inwards. There is a nearby side-door without windows and the lock and door handle are heavily scratched, as if someone without much skill has tried to force them.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris walked back to the main road. He stood in the entrance to the car park and looked around, checking out the buildings overlooking the vets, seeing which of them had CCTV cameras.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

There's no CCTV on the adjoining residential houses as far as Kris can see but the supermarket carpark looks to have small fish eye cameras on poles. It is possible one or two of them might cover the entrance to the vets.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris went back inside to let the vet know where he was going, then took a walk over to the supermarket. He found the customer service point and showed his warrant card, explaining that he needed to check their CCTV feed and asking to speak to the manager.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The manager takes Kris into a back room where there are two monitors, each divided into four, showing rotating images from the internal and external CCTV. Kris can see that at least one camera gives some coverage of the pavement outside the veterinary clinic, although the image is quite poor at that distance. 'What're you looking for?' she asks.
OOC,Roll Luck
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”The vets across the road was broken into last night,” explained Kris. “They don’t have CCTV so I’m hoping whoever did it was picked up on yours.”
OOC,Luck (41%) - 0
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The manager scrolls through the CCTV from last night but Kris can't see anything of interest on a first, quick viewing. Then he remembers that the vet found the broken window yesterday so the break-in was on Thursday night.

He takes quite a few minutes looking through Thursday evening but the streets are quite busy and he doesn't think it is likely someone would attempt a robbery with so many people about. The streets thin out after midnight and he starts more slowly scrolling through the early hours of Friday morning. There is one slightly suspicious looking figure who walks past the camera and then later returns and stands staring away from the supermarket towards the veterinary surgery. This is around 2am. They then walk off back towards town.

Around 4am he sees a figure in a dark hoodie and wearing a backpack that could be the same person. They're walking west along the Botley Road on the south side pavement. When they get to the vet they very purposefully turn into the carpark and disappear. Re-emerging twenty minutes later. Unfortunately Kris doesn't get a good look at them from the footage.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris took printouts of the two images which best identified the potential burglar from their two visits to the veterinary practice. He told the manager that he would need a copy of the tape, so it wasn’t to be re-used in the meantime.

He called the CCTV control room at the police station. ”This is DC Kris Sapru,” he introduced himself. “I’m investigating the break-in at the vets on Botley Road. Have we got any CCTV coverage of Botley Road between 1.30am and 4.30am on Thursday morning?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Sorry Detective, we don't have any CCTV on Botley Road, nearest is Hollybush Row, Park End Street, or Hythe Bridge Street I'm afraid' says the camera operator. 'You after anything specific?'
OOC,This is actually true, they don't have any CCTV on the Botley Road, you can look up the locations online!
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris sighed. Everyone complained about being watched but the reality was that the coverage wasn’t as extensive as people thought.

”I’ve got a couple of images of my suspected burglar; one at 2am and one at 4am. I think it’s a female, wearing a black hoodie and carrying a rucksack. They cut their hand when they broke in so on the return journey, they would be wearing a bandage,” he said.

“I reckon that would be... what? About ten minutes walk from Hollybush Row. If you can check give or take ten minutes either side, and let me know if you can see anything?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,I've uploaded a couple of maps of the relevant area (the vets is further west on the Botley Road) and also the CCTV locations: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7109#p246865[/url]
After a few minutes the CCTV operator gets back to Kris. 'It's quite far away but I can see what looks like a woman in a dark hoodie, backpack, walking east across Frideswide Square around 4.15, on the northside pavement. Can't see a bandage at that distance and the camera position doesn't allow me to see where she went after that. At 2am I'm less sure, there's more people and traffic about, maybe she's there, maybe she's not, if she is there she's walking west along the southern edge of Frideswide Square, but there's a big crowd outside the takeaways there.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Probably easier to start at 4.15am with fewer people around,” said Kris, looking at the location map for the CCTV cameras. “Can you check George Street, George Street Mews and failing that, Tidmarsh Lne. Let’s see if she shows up on any of those...”

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”