Page 1 of 1

Cassandra

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Things seem to settle down for a while at Collinwood. Mrs. Stoddard is pleased to have Carolyn back, and doesn't ask many questions about her disappearance. Carolyn, having little memory of what happened, goes along with what Victoria and Maggie tell her. There has been a noticeable improvement in David's disposition, although he still wanders off on his own frequently.

Neither Barnabas, nor Willie, nor Doctor Hoffman have been seen very often lately, which may partly explain David's lightened mood; whenever somebody mentions Barnabas, he grows noticeably upset.

The only disturbing events in recent days are reports of minor acts of vandalism, seemingly at random, in which doors and windows have been broken, without any sign that anyone tried to enter. This seems to be related to other reports of a Peeping Tom of sorts, a large man who peers into houses late at night, and who quickly runs off when discovered.

Roger takes an extended trip, ostensibly for business purposes, and returns a few weeks later with an announcement that surprises, or even shocks, those who hear it.

"I finally managed to have Laura declared legally dead. Whoever that imposter was who tried to take David away, it certainly wasn't his mother. The evidence from Arizona is incontestable.

"I would like you to meet my new wife."

Obviously enjoying making such a dramatic gesture, he opens the front door and lets in a dark-haired woman who introduces herself as Cassandra, upon whom Roger looks fondly.

After some friendly, if somewhat awkward, conversation between the unexpected guest and the Collins family, Roger remarks that he would like her to meet Barnabas.

"Oh, yes," Cassandra replies, with a silvery laugh. "I would very much like to meet Barnabas Collins. Very much indeed."

You have the strangest feeling that you know this woman from somewhere, although you can't imagine where. You also worry about David, now upstairs asleep, will think when he meets his new stepmother.

Re: Cassandra

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The modest home and studio you share with your father is one of the places that has had a window broken late at night, although nothing was stolen and there is no other damage. Getting up out of bed to check it out, you saw a very large man running away.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:57 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie relates to Vix about her windows being one of the ones broken, though nothing else happened - she saw a big guy running off, and wonders if it's the same one who was at the lighthouse. She also tries to arrange a fun girl's night with Vix, given all the crap that's happened lately.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Collins," says Victoria, who thinks this is all rather sudden. "You look familiar. I have the strangest feeling we've met before, but I can't recall where. Have you ever spent time in New York?"

When Maggie calls, Victoria is glad to arrange for them to get together.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:37 pm

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Collins," says Victoria, who thinks this is all rather sudden. "You look familiar. I have the strangest feeling we've met before, but I can't recall where. Have you ever spent time in New York?"

"Oh, I've been just about everywhere," Cassandra says with a smile. "I'm sure I would have remembered such a charming young person."

The next day, David meets the new arrival. To her credit, Cassandra doesn't try to take the place of his mother, simply hoping that they'll be good friends. It's not surprising that the encounter is an awkward one, but, after a while, David comes to accept her as a member of the household.

"I understand that you've spent quite a lot of time at the Old House," she says. "You must show it to me some time."

"Oh, I don't hang around there any more, now that Barnabas lives there," David admits.

Cassandra kneels, so she can look directly into David's eyes. "Would you do me a very great favor and take me to meet Barnabas?"

After a long pause, David says "OK, I guess. If you want me to."

"Thank you, David." She kisses him very gently on the forehead, which causes him to blush and remain silent.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
On the agreed night, the two women meet at the Blue Whale. (There are very few other places to relax, listen to some music -- even if it's only a jukebox -- talk, and have a decent meal.) The conversation around them drifts from one topic to another. The local constable is there, asking everyone if they've seen Doctor Eric Lang around lately. If anybody wants to know why he asking, he just says it's routine. Many ask him about the vandalism and the Peeping Tom incidents, but those seem to have quieted during recently.

At one point, a local attorney by the name of Tony Peterson walks in.

Like just about everybody else in town, he knows Maggie Evans casually, so he stops by to greet her, and is introduced to Victoria Winters. During a brief chat, he says that he'll soon be at Collinwood, to make some changes in Mrs. Stoddard's will. Naturally, they mention Roger's new wife.

"Yes, I've met her," he says. "I suppose that has something to do with Mrs. Stoddard's request. A remarkable woman. The most extraordinary eyes, the color of the ocean." He grins at himself. "I'm not much of a poet, I'm afraid."

The constable talks to him for a while, because he is also Doctor Lang's attorney. He says that he hasn't seen Lang for some time.

You get that same strange feeling that you've met him before, but you have no idea where. Maybe you've just caught a glimpse of him in town, because his family has been in Collinsport for generations.

You're a little uneasy with Peterson, although you try not to show it, because you've seen him and Burke Devlin together at the Collinsport Inn diner. Could they be planning to do something concerning Devlin's conviction for manslaughter? And will it have anything to do with your father's testimony at the trial, five years ago? Or are they strictly plotting against Roger Collins?

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:24 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie thinks about telling the constable about the big guy she saw running away, but if it was the guy from the lighthouse, she might be putting him in danger more than doing any good.

When Peterson's gone, she says to Vix, "I've seen him confabbing with Burke at the diner. I don't know what's up with it though. I don't know if he's Burke's lawyer too, but Burke's always interested in messing with the Collinses. It might be nothing."

Maggie had pretty much forgotten until this, but she was supposed to be spying on Barnabas for Burke. At some point she'll meet up with him and give her verdict, "I don't think he's in business really - he might have been before getting here, but now he's just coasting on the money he's made. So there isn't anything to take over... and I think he's... kinda dangerous." (Maggie likes Burke, and given everything Vix has told her about Barnabas, as well as her own memory being erased, and that she's still afraid of Barnabas, she's trying to give Burke reasons not to bother with this)

At home with Sam, she will ask if he knows a lawyer called Tony Peterson.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I feel like I've seen him before," says Victoria, "but I have no idea where. I got the same feeling about Cassandra."

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:36 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:20 am"I feel like I've seen him before," says Victoria, "but I have no idea where. I got the same feeling about Cassandra."

"In a past life, maybe?" suggests Maggie. Unsure why that thought popped into her head, she adds, "Maybe the Collinses have talked about him. But that wouldn't explain Cassandra."

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A few days go by without incident. With David's help, Cassandra manages to make her way into the Old House early one evening, when Barnabas makes one of his rare appearances. The encounter is reported to Victoria the next day, during their lessons.

"Barnabas still gives me the creeps, but it was OK, I guess. They just started talking about boring adult stuff. Then Barnabas asked me to go home. I don't know when Dad's girlfriend came back here."
Spoiler:
2d20
Nothing seems out of the ordinary lately, which is a refreshing change of pace.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sam Evans knows Tony Petersen well enough.

"He worked out all the details when Roger Collins bought a bunch of my paintings about five years ago. You know, taxes and payment schedules and all that stuff. Nothing for you to concern yourself with, honey." He seems reluctant to discuss it with his daughter any further.

Out one night with Burke Devlin, Maggie relates what she knows about Barnabas.

"Idle rich, huh? That figures. Nice work if you can get it. Still, I'd like to know where he spends his days. Business in Bangor or Boston, my eye. I've got my connections in both places, and nobody who ought to know ever heard of him."
Spoiler:
2d20
One pleasant evening, while taking the big hike up to the mansion to meet with Victoria for a chat, Maggie happens to pass close enough to the Old House to hear an argument between Barnabas and a woman, whose voice she doesn't recognize. She then spotted the woman, who matches the description of Cassandra, storm out of the house.

"You must be insane!" Surprisingly, not long after Cassandra spoke these angry words, slammed the door, and started making her way to the mansion, her mood seemed to change suddenly, and she began to laugh sweetly. She does not seem to be aware that Maggie is nearby.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:36 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie tries to follow Cassandra to see what else she does - if she's spotted, she'll say she's heading up to the house to see Vix. Whether this means seeing Vix tonight, or calling her tomorrow, Maggie will tell her what happened.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Barnabas is a vampire," Victoria tells David. "Most of the time he can stay under control, thanks to a serum that Dr. Hoffman has been giving him, but it's becoming less effective. When he loses control, that's when he's dangerous. That's what happened to Carolyn. He turned her into a vampire too, but we were able to restore her with sunlight because she had only recently changed. Barnabas is something like two hundred years old, so he's well beyond that point. There may be a way to make him human again too, though. If the woman he loves can love him back, the curse will be broken."

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:07 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
d20
You completely lose sight of Cassandra as she heads back to the mansion.

David is full of wide-eyed excitement. "I knew there was something creepy about him! Now we've got to tell everybody about him, so they'll finally know I'm not making up stories. C'mon, you've got to tell my dad I'm not a liar."

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 pm
by SunlessNick

Rats, Maggie thinks to herself. She heads home, after a bit of dithering about how close to pass by Barnabas's place, and calls Vix tomorrow to relate what she saw.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"If I do that, he'll just think I'm lying too - or crazy," says Victoria. "We would need to get proof first. I think our best bet is to try to cure Barnabas. Maggie knew he was a vampire too, but Dr. Hoffman hypnotized her to make her forget. Still, I think she can help too, and we should talk to her. You may have noticed how much she looks like the portrait of Josette, who was Barnabas's lost love. She reminds him of Josette, and I'm sure he's in love with her. If she were to love him back, he'd become human again. It's not easy, though. You can't make someone fall in love. It has to happen naturally."

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Just before you reach home, you see Tony Peterson standing in the open doorway.

"I warn you, Mister Evans, that perjury is a serious offense. I advise you, for you own good, to heed what I say."

He then leaves. His car pulls away. He seems to be heading for Collinwood.

We'll see if David is persuaded. CHA roll, with bonuses for you: d20A bit too high, I think, even if I allow for Charming and Good With Children. (David a little too young for Beautiful to have much effect, I'd think.)

"Ah, girls just wanna talk about mushy stuff. I'm gonna tell Dad we need to kill Barnabas!" It's impossible for David to be dissauded. Roger, naturally, reacts by forbidding him to read any more comic books or watch TV for a week.

"That nonsense is rotting the boy's mind," he tells you.

David pleads with you to tell his father what you told him.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"First we have to get proof," insists Victoria. "If I tell him without proof, he'll think I'm crazy. He'll also think you got your ideas from me - which you did. He'll fire me, and he'll probably send me up to the sanitarium where Dr. Hoffman will hypnotize me and make me forget everything I've seen. We need to work with Maggie and Professor Stokes, who have been helping me. Working together we can find the proof."

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:04 am
by SunlessNick

"Dad?" Maggie says, going into the house after Pearson has gone. "What was Tony Pearson doing here?" If Sam demures over answering, she'll add that she heard the parting words, and repeat the question. "IS it about Burke Devlin?"

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
David reluctantly agrees to say nothing more about the matter to his family, mostly at the prospect of being allowed to play detective. He does slip up once, asking Carolyn what it's like to be dead, to which she only replies "Shut up, you little jerk."

A greatly recovered, and seemingly amnesic, Joe Haskell turns up now and then to pay court to Carolyn, to which she responds in her old half-reluctant, half-eager way, exasperating Joe as it always did. Joe also accuses her of sneaking out to see Burke Devlin "It's like some kind of soap opera," he grumbles. To this Carolyn replies "You'd be surprised what's going on around here." Joe answers "Maybe I'm starting to understand why your father disappeared eighteen years ago." To this Carolyn responds merely by running upstairs to her room. "Me and my big mouth," Joe says to himself as he takes his leave.

When alone with Victoria, David asks when they're going to put their plans into operation.

Sam Evans goes back to the bottle after the visit from Peterson. "I thought I was done with all that business years ago, little girl. Now it's come back to haunt your old man. Hell, I couldn't go up against Roger Collins; his sister practically owns this town. Devlin was nobody then; now he's some kind of big shot, despite all those years in stir. I sure hope Peterson is just trying to scare me."

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:52 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie rubs her mouth. "So that accident was Roger Collins's fault, and he made you say it was Burke?"

(Maggie wonders if she can get Burke to leave her father alone, although she knows he's going to make her do something for that)

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to meet up with Maggie and Professor Stokes as soon as we can," says Victoria. "It will take all of us working together to prevail. Barnabas didn't live to be two hundred years old by being a pushover." She gives Maggie a call.

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sam sighs. "Yeah, that's the story in a nutshell. It was a lot of things. I was pretty smashed myself when I saw the car run into that poor guy, rest his soul. I wasn't sure what I saw. I thought I saw Roger driving, but I could have been wrong. Roger convinced me Burke was driving. Then he offered to buy a bunch of my paintings for a lot more cash than they were worth. What with you just a kid, and your mother in her grave, I guess I just panicked on the witness stand. I thought I was doing the right thing to say that Burke was driving. Maybe I believed it myself. But if Peterson stirs things up, it could mean trouble."

David is eager to get things started. His behavior is impeccable for a day or so, earning him a bit more freedom than usual from his father.

"I believe you're a good influence on the boy," Roger admits.

"I told you so," Elizabeth adds.

"The little sneak must be up to something," Carolyn suggests. "He's never that good."

Cassandra offers what is becoming a very familiar silvery laugh.

"Yes," she says, directly to Victoria, her moon-pale eyes wide open. "What are you two plotting?"

Meanwhile, Professor Stokes calls the house and asks to speak to Victoria, asking her when and where they should all meet.
Seeming to be always around somewhere when Victoria is on the phone, or talking to one of the members of the family, she asks, "A boyfriend?"

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:15 pm
by SunlessNick

"I see Burke around sometimes. Maybe I can talk him round - make him see Roger Collins is the bad guy."

When Victoria calls, Maggie seems a little distracted, but also pleased to hear from her. "Hi, Vix. What's up?"

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, Maggie," says Victoria. "I'd like to get together with you and catch up on things. I'll be bringing a couple of friends too. We can talk there. Shall we all meet at the Blue Whale?" While she waits for a reply, she covers the mouthpiece with her hand and answers Cassandra. "No, just a friend."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:56 am
by SunlessNick

"That'd be great," Maggie says.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The necessary arrangements are made to have everyone show up at the Blue Whale at a convenient time. It is not unusual for Victoria to accompany David into town on some errand or another, so he is able to show up as well. (It's also not unusual for young people to accompany adults into the place, given the informal nature of the Blue Whale, as long as none of them try to buy a beer.) Finding a quiet corner far from the jukebox, the assembled persons begin discussions.

"First of all," Professor Stokes begins, indicating David, "exactly how much does this young man know?"

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Meanwhile, having met with Burke Devlin, you find out that he agrees that Roger is the real culprit. "I should give your old man a swift kick in the pants for testifying against me, but I guess that wouldn't do anybody any good. I've got my own way of dealing with Mister High-and-Mighty Roger Collins." It also turns out that he did not hire Tony Peterson, and doesn't know what the lawyer is up to.

Meanwhile, you've observed frequent visits from Tony Peterson, who always arrives when Roger is in town, at his office in the Collins Fishing Fleet and Cannery. He generally briefly talks to Elizabeth about the business, than spends more time with Cassandra, usually in the gazebo that serves as the centerpiece of the the formal garden.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:51 pm
by SunlessNick

"My memory's all in a mess," Maggie says in response to Stoke's question. "Maybe if you and Vix just lay out out so all of us know all of it."

Maggie kisses Burke for the news. "Thankyou. He's kicked himself a lot for it already." She doesn't speculate with Burke who Peterson might be working for, though she's certainly left thinking about it. (If Burke picks this as a moment to try going further than dances and kisses, Maggie would let him, though she'd take it as him exacting a price for leaving Sam alone).

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria fills in Maggie on all the details. "Josette was the love of Barnabas's life," she says. "Maggie, you're the spitting image of her. I think he's in love with you too, and he thinks of you as Josette. If you were able to fall in love with him too, it could break his curse. He could be human again, and no longer a vampire."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:02 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie runs her hand through her hair. "Fall in love with him? I... that's a lot." She stops, several conflicted expressions running across her face. "I'm scared of him. But... I mean could that really fix him? It's not like I could say no."

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It wouldn't be easy, you're right," says Victoria. "We can't even choose whether or not to fall in love, it just happens, whether we're ready for it or not. Barnabas is frightening, but he was also a good man once who fell into tragic circumstances. He killed Carolyn and turned her into a vampire, and we were able to restore her to humanity with sunlight. Professor Stokes told me that that can work on a newly turned vampire, but not on one as ancient as Barnabas. Sunlight would just destroy him. But he also thought of the possible way to restore him to humanity."

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At this point in the conversation, Cassandra and Roger Collins enter the Blue Whale, and immediately catch sight of those gathered at the far table.

"I told Roger we'd find you all here," she remarks.

"My love, you have the most remarkable intuition," Roger responds. He seems quite smitten with his bride.

"Now what are you conspiring about," Cassandra asks, "and who is this distinguished gentleman with you? I don't think we've been introduced."

Professor Stokes stands, takes the gloved hand Cassandra offers him, and, in proper continental style, bows over it.

"Timothy Stokes, Mrs. Collins. I could not be more charmed to make your acquaintance. Your reputation as a gracious addition to Collinwood proceeds you."

"Such flattery!"

As if invited, Roger and Cassandra take seats at the table.

"I trust my son hasn't been filling your heads with his nonsense about spooks and goblins," Roger remarks.

"Perhaps it's not such nonsense," Cassandra says. "I have the feeling Miss Winters -- may I call you Victoria? -- knows all about such things. Don't you, my dear?"

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:23 pm
by SunlessNick

"It's a good town for nonsense about spooks and goblins," Maggie says with creditable brightness.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Cassandra," says Victoria, "though I wouldn't consider myself an expert. Professor Stokes is far more knowledgeable than I am."

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
unexplained die rolld20
Much polite conversation follows, until Roger insists that it is time for David to come home. Perhaps surprisingly, the boy agrees, and leaves the Blue Whale gripping the hand of his stepmother. After calling for another glass of sherry, Professor Stokes speaks quietly.

"Even at my age, I am appreciative of the charms of lovely young ladies, present company included. However, there is far more to Mrs. Collins than a pretty face. The way she commands one's attention with those extraordinary eyes. Fortunately, I was able to pull myself out of their depths and remember that there are sinister forces at work in Collinsport. I would be careful about what I say around Mrs. Collins, and I would keep careful watch over her.

"Back to the business at hand. One cannot expect unfeigned affection to spring within one's heart at command. Therefore, it seems to me that 'curing' Barnabas Collins, for lack of a better term, in that manner is out of the question. Much more practical is the possibility of rendering him harmless. We have seen that whatever power Doctor Hoffman possesses over his condition is hardly reliable. I suspect that it is a temporary solution, at best, and may backfire, as it did in the case of Miss Stoddard. If worse comes to worse, we may be forced to consider Barnabas as an enemy to be destroyed, rather than as a sufferer to be relieved.

"I welcome any suggestions that may occur to you."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Burke Devlin certainly enjoys your company, but at times he seems distracted by his obsession with the Collins family. "I'd still like to figure out what's going on with that Barnabas character. What he gets up to when he disappears for days at a time with the lady doctor and the guy that works for him. I've got a private eye working on it. Ha. Sounds like some kind of mystery novel, but it's really a lot less Mickey Spillane and a lot more routine footwork and paperwork."

On another date, he remarks, "My man hasn't found out too much yet, but he knows that the three of them spend a lot a time at the place they call the House by the Sea. Seems that old moneybags Barnabas took out a lease on the place just a while back. They keep the place sealed up as tight as a drum. I'd love to know what's going on up there, but they're hardly likely to welcome me. Barnabas knows I've got a grudge against his family." d20

Back at Collinwood, David seems to have lost some of his enthusiasm for dealing with Barnabas Collins, and instead spends a great deal of time with his stepmother, much to the delight of his father. The two often take long walks together, even after sunset. One strange thing happening at Collinwood, according to Mrs. Johnson, the housekeeper, is the disappearance of food from the kitchen.

"Soon as I'm busy elsewhere, then Poof! There's a ham or a box of crackers gone! Enough to turn my hair gray, if it weren';t already."

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:30 pm
by SunlessNick

"I'm no pro at this, but I can try to find out," Maggie says. "Did your guy tell you where this place was?"

"Does Barnabas want to be human again?" Maggie asks. "Does he know he could be turned back like this - what if we tell him?" After whatever answer that gets, she also says, "Something Burke Devlin told me. Barnabas has a place called the House by the Sea, where goes with Dr Hoffman when he's out of town. Burke wants to know what's going on there, and it might help us too. If we pick a time when Barnabas is in town."

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Professor Stokes and I went to the House by the Sea when we were searching for Carolyn," says Victoria. "She wasn't there, but Willie was, and he saw us and warned us away. I think Barnabas was inside at the time. I think it's worth a try talking to him, explaining how he can become human again and asking him if that's what he wants. The only other way would be to put him down, the way you would with a rabid dog. I hope we don't have to do that."

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I suspect there's more going on at the House by the Sea than meets the eye," Professor Stokes. "I am of two minds as to whether a direct approach might be best -- simply show up at the place and announce ourselves and demand to be shown inside -- or if a more stealthy approach, although it was not very effective last time, might be worth another try. One might also keep the place under surveillance for a while, although that would involve some delay in action. What do you think, ladies?"

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"The longer we wait," says Victoria, "the less self-control Barnabas will have as he builds up a tolerance to Dr. Hoffman's treatment. He could kill again. I'm in favor of the direct approach, as soon as possible."

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Very well. We knock on the door politely, long enough that we make a nuisance of ourselves. The worst that can happen is that they refuse to let us in. Well, that's not really the worst that can happen, but that doesn't bear thinking about. Let us arrive in the morning, so that we have the advantage of daylight on our side for as long as possible."

This plan undertaken, the group arrives early one bright, sunny day. After knocking on the front door for quite some time, the familiar face of Willie Loomis appears as the door opens a crack.

"What do you want? You shouldn't be here."

"Curiosity, my good man," Professor Stokes says casually. "I was just interested in whosoever might be in residence here, as the place has been empty for quite some time." He makes a gesture to push the door open.
Spoiler:
d20
However, Willie holds it firm. "You can't come in. I'm workin'."

From somewhere inside comes a man's voice, unknown to the visitors.

"Who's there, Willie?"

"Nobody. Just some kids playin' a prank, I guess." Willie shuts the door.

"Mysteries upon mysteries," Professor Stokes remarks. "Shall I knock again, until this other individual comes to confront us?"

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am
by SunlessNick

"It's worth a try," Maggie says.

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's keep knocking," says Victoria.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is impossible for anyone inside to ignore the continued knocking. After a while, the door is pulled open, with some violence, by a very tall man, dressed in black trousers and turtleneck sweater, who might be considered handsome were it not for the numerous scars that cover his face. His manner is brusque, to say the least.

"What do you want?"

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:10 pm
by SunlessNick

"We're looking for Barbabas," says Maggie. "Tell him it's Maggie - he won't like it if you turn us away."

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's right," says Victoria. "He'll certainly want to talk to her."

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The fellow seems surprised, and perhaps a little concerned. He responds in a deep, slow voice, pronouncing each word with great care, as if English is new to him.

"Barnabas is safe. No one must harm Barnabas. You come inside."

The man gestures for them to enter and steps back, revealing an open door on the wall behind him. It's obvious that it leads downstairs, because only the upper half of Willie's body can be seen beyond it, facing the visitors.

"They ain't gonna hurt him, Adam. These are friends. You remember, don't you? Me and the doc are your friends, like I told you."

Willie seems anxious to avoid disturbing Adam, judging by his forced smile at the big man.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's right, we're friends," says Victoria. "We just want to talk to Barnabas. He'll like what we have to say. We have good news."

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Adam leads the visitors downstairs, into what seems to be a well-equipped laboratory, full of electronic and medical equipment. There are two surgical tables, currently unoccupied, that are connected by wires and tubes to the equipment. Standing next to a control panel full of knobs and dials is Doctor Hoffman, busy adjusting them, so that she only reacts with a startled frown at the newcomers.

"Adam let 'em in," Willie tells her. "I didn't have nothin' to do with it."

In a dark corner stands Barnabas, observing Doctor Hoffman's manipulations closely.

"Never mind that," he says. "What's done is done. What matters now is that nothing must interfere with the procedure. Adam! You must make sure that they do no nothing to harm us. Do you understand?"

"Yes. They say they are friends. If they lie, I destroy them."

"It seems we have stumbled into a more serious situation than I expected," Professor Stokes remarks.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Barnabas," says Victoria, "the professor here knows of a way your curse would be lifted, if that's what you want. Nobody would be hurt. In fact, it would give you true happiness. I know that, in spite of what you've become, there is still good in you. You are still capable of love." She glances over at Maggie and lets her continue.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:28 am
by SunlessNick
"It's about your love for Josette," Maggie says (Vix will be able to tell she's nervous about what she's saying). "Professor Stokes thinks love can save a vampire, and restore them. If you and I could... I mean it's a big thing to think of, but if it could help you, I would try."

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Miss Evans," Barnabas begins in a somber tone, "I must beg your forgiveness for what must have seemed to be madness on my part. Indeed, I am certain that I was quite insane for a time. Certain actions on my part . . . They are without excuse.

"But that is over now, and, I trust, for all time." There is a note of quiet triumph in his voice. "When Doctor Hoffman's treatments began to fail--"

"That was quite beyond my control," Hoffman replies.

"So you say. In any case, not long after my conditioned worsened, I happened to discover this place, during my nocturnal wanderings. I found Adam. Poor, lonely, ignorant Adam. Two friendless creatures, we were drawn together by Fate, I am sure of it! And now we are bonded in a way that is of great benefit to both of us."

"The phenomenon is somewhat difficult to explain," Hoffman says, "and there is little time. You must allow us to proceed."

"Yes." Adam speaks in a voice grown weak. He shuffles to one of tables and lies down on it. Hoffman attaches a maze of wires to his head and arms. Barnabas lies upon the other table, and undergoes the same strange procedure.

"This part always gives me the creeps," Willie says.

"Never mind," Barnabas admonishes him. "Assist Doctor Hoffman."

"OK, OK, I'm doin' it."

While Willie keeps an eye on the gauges, Doctor Hoffman manipulates dials and switches, filling the room with crackling sounds and the smell of ozone.

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light and a colossal roar, as if lightning has struck within the room. While fighting to see again, the visitors hear what sounds like heavy footsteps and breaking doors. When full vision returns, they see Doctor Hoffman on the floor, with Willie kneeling next to her, trying to wake her up. Barnabas lies still on the table. There is no sign of Adam, and the wires to which he was connected are torn to pieces.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria hurries to Dr. Hoffman's side and tries to help her.

Using Cure Light Wounds.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Victoria manages to rouse Doctor Hoffman, who sits up in a daze.

"There must have been a power overload," she says weakly.

"I was watchin' all the dials and stuff, I swear it," Willie says. "You know I ain't no good with all this science stuff."

Doctor Hoffman manages to stand and stumble over to Barnabas, examining him closely.

"He's alive, if that's the proper term, but in a deep coma. Too much of his life energy must have been transferred to Adam."

"I told ya this was a crazy idea." Willie is close to moaning. "There's no tellin' what that big ox might do."

"It was the only way. This was an unpredictable accident."

"I might suggest," Professor Stokes begins, "that we find the fellow you call Adam, before he decides that he is in need of an Eve."

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:30 am
by SunlessNick
"And someone should look after Barnabas," Maggie says.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe Dr. Hoffman is best suited for that," says Victoria. "Let's go look for Adam. At least with his size, he'll leave large footprints."

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let me give you some Bonus points for the difficult job of tracking, which normally gets a -10 deficit. Let's say +2 for wet area, +2 for little traveled, + 2 for large footprints, so only - 4 to WIS, Higher WIS than average for Victoria and Stokes, average for Maggie. In that order: 3d20
Having made the suggestion, it is only fitting that Victoria is the one to spot the signs of Adam's path. From the way he has knocked down small bushes and trampled on flower beds, it's obvious that he's in a hurry. His trail leads to Collinwood.

"He might have gone to the Old House, the Mansion, the Rose Cottage, the gardens, or the forest," Professor Stokes observes. "Shall we announce ourselves and our curious errand to the Collins, or conduct our search sub rosa? Split up, or stay together?"

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:45 am
by SunlessNick
"I think we should stay together," Maggie says nervously. "We should start with the mansion - there's no one to get hurt at the other paces."

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I agree," says Victoria. "We should also announce ourselves. The Collinses need to be warned of the danger."

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see that both of you value discretion as a virtue," Professor Stokes remarks. "Let us proceed."

Arriving at the mansion, Stokes knocks on the front door. "Pity they never installed a doorbell at this place." There is no response for a while, so he knocks again. The door is answered by Roger Collins, who seems somewhat distracted. He holds a glass of amber liquid in his hand.

"Forgive this intrusion," Stokes says," but there have been reports that the vandal who was seen in Collinsport some time ago -- you recall, I'm sure, a very large fellow -- has been seen in the vicinity of Collinwood. The ladies and I were just enjoying some pleasant conversation and Miss Evans and I were escorting Miss Winters here, when we think we may have spotted the man."

"Come in, by all means." Roger takes a drink. "Tell me everything you know." He pauses for a moment. "No one here has seen Cassandra all day. You don't suppose something might have happened to her, do you? Perhaps the police--"

Elizabeth, who has been observing all this, says "There's no need to drag the authorities into this, at least not yet. Roger, I know how you feel about Cassandra, but you must admit that she's not the most predictable person in the world."

"Perhaps my charming companions can explain the situation better than I can," Stokes says, glancing at Maggie and Victoria. "My eyes and ears aren't what they used to be." Both women know this isn't true at all, so obviously he thinks they should decide how much to tell Roger and Elizabeth.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:40 am
by SunlessNick
"I think it's the same guy as broke the window at my place," Maggie says. "I don't think he's hurt anyone" - OOC: am I remembering that right? - "so the police might be overkill. But maybe if we find him we can find out what his deal is and if he needs help or something."

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes," says Victoria, "but you might want to make sure your doors and windows are locked, just to be sure."

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Very well," Roger replies. "If nothing else, I'm not going to allow my son to set one foot outside this house until the matter is resolved, one way or another. Professor Stokes, Miss Evans, perhaps you'd better spend the night here rather than risk running into the man."

David is greatly disappointed not to be allowed to go hunt for the fellow. Given the circumstances, everyone in the mansion has a restless night.
Spoiler:
2d20
During the middle of the night, both Victoria and Maggie are awakened by the sound of Cassandra's distinctive laughter, coming from somewhere outside. The two women run into each other in the hallway. Perring together through a narrow window, they see Cassandra and lawyer Tony Peterson in the garden. Judging by their gestures, they seem to be having an argument. Tony raises an arm and turns to stalk away, but then turns back around and walks slowly toward Cassandra. They embrace and share a passionate kiss. Then Tony shuffles away, seemingly in a daze, while Cassandra laughs again.

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria gasps quietly. "She's being unfaithful to Roger," she says to Maggie. "I suppose we'd best tell him, but will he believe us? I know he won't want to."

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:00 am
by SunlessNick
"I think she's doing more than that," Maggie says. "The old car crash that Burke Devlin was put away for? I'm pretty sure Roger Collins was driving, and Peterson's digging it up. I figured it was for Burke, but it looks like it's for Cassandra."

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Adding to the mystery of Cassandra's behavior is the fact that she has not yet returned to the home of her husband and stepson, although she was clearly seen nearby. It is a matter of some delicacy as to how much of this information should be revealed to the Collins family, and in what manner.

After enjoying a hearty breakfast prepared by the capable Mrs. Sarah Johnson, a widow of middle years who serves the Collins as housekeeper, Professor Stokes expresses the opinion, when the Collins are not present to hear, that Mrs. Collins may have fallen victim to the missing Adam. (Apparently he is unaware of what happened in the middle of the night.) Like many of his social class, he does not consider it necessary to conceal his opinion from a servant.

"Who's this Adam?" Mrs. Johnson asks as she serves Professor Stokes another cup of coffee. "And if you ask me, Mrs. Collins went and fell off Widow's Hill, as so many have. You mark my words, they'll find her broken body on the rocks below the cliff. Not that I'd say so to Mrs. Stoddard or Mr. Collins. I keep myself to myself, I always say."

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We actually saw her out the window last night," Victoria says to Professor Stokes, "though who knows what she got up to afterward?"

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Indeed," Professor Stokes remarks. "How very interesting. If our missing lady has not been taken away against her will, she must have some plan of her own. Tell me, what were her activities during the time you saw her? And should we break the good news to the anxious husband, given the fact that we cannot produce her?"

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:03 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She was with Tony Peterson, the lawyer," says Victoria. "As to what she was doing with him, well..." She blushes.

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:33 pm
by SunlessNick
"She was doing what Vix just made it sound like," Maggie says. "It's trouble, but maybe not anything to do with Adam."

To Mrs Johnson's question about Adam, she says, "We think he's that guy who's been smashing windows."

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
When Mrs. Johnson leaves the dining room with the dirty dishes, Professor Stokes remarks "Ah, the eternal triangle, eh? And Mrs. Collins is the hypotenuse, so to speak. And still a newlywed! I might suggest attempting to investigate her movements. Why return to Collinwood for an assignation with her paramour? And, if she is so confident that she dare betray her husband under his very nose, why is she absent from the premises save during these clandestine meetings? There is more here than mere matters of gossip."

When Mrs. Johnson returns to reset the table for the midday meal, having heard nothing of Cassandra's apparent affair, she directs a question at the group.

"How do you know the fellow's name, anyway? Are you acquainted with him? If you know something about the man that you're not saying, you better tell it to the constable. I won't have a decent night's sleep until that maniac is locked up!"

Disregarding the question, Professor Stokes takes his leave, leaving it to the others to explain.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Willie referred to him as Adam," says Victoria.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"And what does that Willie Loomis have to do with all this? I wouldn't trust that rascal as far as I could throw him! He works over at the Old House for Mister Barnabas and the lady doctor, doesn't he? As soon as I'm done cleaning up, I'm going to go over there and give him a piece of my mind!"

Whether this plan is going to be carried out or not remains to be seen. A knock at the door interrupts Mrs. Johnson's tirade. She opens it to reveal a man she doesn't recognize.

"Good morning. I'm Nicholas Blair. I presume you've been expecting me."

"Can't say as I have," Mrs. Johnson replies, "and Mrs. Stoddard lets me know about all the folks supposed to be here. What's your business?"

"Well, I simply assumed my sister told everyone about me."

"And who might she be?"

"Why, Cassandra Blair. The former Cassandra Blair, that is. May I see her? I wasn't able to attend the wedding, which I hear was a simple affair at the Justice of the Peace."

Mrs. Johnson doesn't answer, apparently unsure how to tell Nicholas that his sister is missing. While waiting for an answer, or at least to be granted admission, Nicholas glances at the two ladies at the dining table, offering them a smile.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning," says Victoria, smiling back. "I'm Victoria Winters, the governess, and this is my friend Maggie Evans."

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:32 am
by SunlessNick
"Hi," Maggies says. "I don't live here either."

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Charmed," the man replies, smiling warmly. He takes the greetings of the young women as an invitation to enter, stepping around Mrs Johnson gracefully. At this time, Roger, Elizabeth, David, and Carolyn come down the stairs, evidently having planned on a later breakfast.

"This fellow claims to be Mrs. Collins' brother," Mrs. Johnson tells them.

"Really, Madam, you make me sound like a common criminal." After introductions are made, perhaps somewhat awkwardly, he announces, "I have a feeling my sister will arrive at any moment."

Almost as soon as the words are out of his mouth, Cassandra comes in the front door, looking somewhat disheveled and tired. She runs to Roger and embraces him, to his surprise and evident pleasure.

"Oh, darling, can you ever forgive me? I was in one of my silly moods. I just had to get away for a while, out into the woods by myself, all night long."

After assuring her that he understands, Cassandra turns to face Nicholas. "I -- I was not expecting you," she says weakly. "I think I'll go up to my room and rest."

"I'll escort you," Nicholas says, taking her arm. "We have so much to talk about." They go upstairs together.

"They're both weird," David says.

As Roger and Elizabeth scold him for his rudeness, Carolyn joins the other two women. Mrs. Johnson withdraws to prepare breakfast for the family.

"For once I agree with the little creep," Carolyn says quietly. "Treating Uncle Roger that way! And he puts up with her. Oh, well, I guess love really is blind, deaf, and dumb."

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You've got that right," says Victoria. "She was lying to him, too. She wasn't alone."

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Really?" Carolyn leans closer to the other two women. "Well, spill it, girls. I've love to to get something on my dear old step-aunt."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After some time passes, Nicholas Blair returns from upstairs.

"I've had a nice little chat with my sister. I don't think she'll pull any more disappearing acts, Mister Collins. She's always been an emotional creature, you know. Mrs. Stoddard, thank you for your hospitality. I've taken a place in town, so I won't be intruding on you uninvited again. Good day, all."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Later that evening, the phone rings at the mansion. Mrs. Stoddard answers.

"It's that eccentric fellow Professor Stokes, asking for you, Vicki." (Mrs. Stoddard has recently become less formal with her nephew's governess.)

Taking the call, Victoria learns that Stokes has observed Nicholas Blair at the House by the Sea.

"I believe he saw me glancing his way, so I daren't go near the place for a while, just in case he's up to something. Can't imagine why Mrs. Collins' brother would be there. Any ideas?"

After the call is completed, Mrs. Stoddard says "It's probably none of my business, but can you tell me what in the world he wanted to talk to you about? He's older than I am, dear, hardly the usual company for a young girl."

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"She was with the lawyer, Tony Peterson," Victoria tells Carolyn.

Later, when Professor Stokes calls, Victoria says "Maybe Maggie and I should pay a visit." After the call, she tells Elizabeth "My interest in Professor Stokes is purely intellectual. He's knowledgeable about a variety of subjects. It's important for me to keep up my education if I'm to teach. As for the call just now, he told me that he spotted your new brother-in-law at the House by the Sea."

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:23 am
by SunlessNick
"I think we should," Maggie says in response to Vix's suggestion.

"Same for me," she says to Elizabeth's question. "I mean, I'm not going to be teaching anyone, but I do want to expand my horizons a bit."

When she and Vix are next alone - whether that's on the way to the House by the Sea or not - she expands on what she said the previous night. "I ran into Tony Peterson on my doorstep, haranguing Dad about the car crash, saying he was lying. The night it happened, he was... well, Dad drinks a lot, and gets confused sometimes... Roger Collins made him say it was Burke driving, and went on at him till he pretty much believed it. But I'm sure it was Roger. I saw Peterson with Burke, so I thought he was working for him. But if he's with Cassandra, then maybe he was just asking Burke questions. And if Cassandra can get Roger put away, she gets all this to herself."

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 am
"She was with the lawyer, Tony Peterson," Victoria tells Carolyn.
"Really. Probably trying to arrange for some kind of way to get her hands on everything Uncle Roger has. Well, if that's her little game, she's barking up the wrong tree. Mother controls the purse strings, and batting her baby blues at some shyster isn't going to do her any good. He is kind of cute, though. I might go for him myself."
Later, when Professor Stokes calls, Victoria says "Maybe Maggie and I should pay a visit." After the call, she tells Elizabeth "My interest in Professor Stokes is purely intellectual. He's knowledgeable about a variety of subjects. It's important for me to keep up my education if I'm to teach. As for the call just now, he told me that he spotted your new brother-in-law at the House by the Sea."
"That's very strange. That place has been deserted for years. Hardly a fit place for anyone to live, without some major renovations, like those cousin Barnabas had done for the Old House. And you know how much time, trouble, and money that took. Perhaps he has this Loomis fellow working for him as well. Let me know if you ever run into the man."

Left unspoken is the fact that Elizabeth hasn't left the grounds of Collinwood for nearly two decades, ever since her husband vanished.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At the House by the Sea one day, the two women note that not much has changed since the last time they were there. The curtains are still drawn over all the windows. The only thing different is that the beach sand near the place has been disturbed by much coming and going. There are also tire tracks, left by a large vehicle that must have been there recently.

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's see which way the tire tracks go," suggests Victoria, "and how far we can follow them."

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is a simple matter to follow the tire tracks back into town, where they lead to the Collinsport Furniture and Moving Company. The vehicle that left the tracks is a moving van of moderate size, now parked outside the company's small warehouse. The office is located next door.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's try the office and see if we can find out who rented the van," says Victoria.

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:39 pm
by SunlessNick
"And if they were delivering or collecting," Maggie adds.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The office is manned by a couple of ordinary-looking working men, not currently very busy. Eager for some pleasant company, they are willing to discuss their recently completed task.

"Yeah, moved in a bunch of stuff for a guy called Blair. Heavy furniture, all the way from Massachusetts. My muscles still ache."

"Some nice antiques, too. Fella must be loaded. Understand he bought the place outright, cash money."

"Kind of fussy. Kept watching us, made sure we didn't harm anything. Heck, we're old pros, he didn't need to do that."

"No skin off my nose. Got paid double for a rush job. You gals friends of his?"

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know him by name," says Victoria. "What does he look like?"

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Kind of a small, slender guy. Got a mustache, dark hair. Snappy dresser. Bit of a lounge lizard, if you ask me. The dame hangin' around the place was a decent looker, but not very friendly. Why you askin'? Need a boyfriend? I ain't doin' nothin' Saturday night if you need a date."

"Sure," says his coworker. "Make it a double date with your gal pal there. Have a few beers, some laughs."

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:24 pm
by SunlessNick

(Are then attractive at all)

"What did the girl look like?" Maggie asks. "She competition for us?"

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm afraid I'm a little too young to drink beer," says Victoria.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:24 pm Image

(Are then attractive at all)

"What did the girl look like?" Maggie asks. "She competition for us?"
Spoiler:
Let's say an average CHA of 9
"Let's see; she was black-haired, but had these really big, pale blue eyes. Pretty, but not exactly my type. The Ice Queen, you know? I go for the down-to-earth kind," one of the fellow says, with a wink.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:48 am Image

"I'm afraid I'm a little too young to drink beer," says Victoria.
"Just my luck. Give me a call when you hit the big twenty-one, kid," the other fellow says, losing interest.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your help," says Victoria.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the conversation winds down, the sound of screeching tires, followed by the shriek of crashing metal, comes from outside the office.

"Sounds like an accident," one of the men says. "I'll call the cops. Hope nobody's hurt." As he makes the call, the other jumps up to take a look outside.

"Looks like a car ran into some guy, but he's still standing. The car's a mess. Freak accident, I guess."

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:46 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie takes a look outside (a little worried that the guy is going to turn out to be Barnabas or Adam).

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Someone could be hurt!" says Victoria. "I'd better get out there, I know first aid." She hurries outside. It being daytime, she's confident that it's not Barnabas, though she thinks it could very well be Adam.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Both women are quite correct, as it is obviously the huge, hulking Adam. He seems completely unhurt, other than the numerous scars on his faces and hands that were seen before. The guy driving the car gets out of his vehicle, also without any obvious injuries, although he seems a little shaken.

"What are you, nuts or something? You jumped out right in front of me!"

Adam's response to this is to lift up the front of the man's car with one hand and hurl it to the side. As the one police car in Collinsport approaches, siren blaring, he runs off in the opposite direction.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Now's our chance to follow him and see where he goes," Victoria says to Maggie.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:38 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie seems less than thrilled at this idea, but goes along with it.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Making no attempt to conceal his path, indicated by the knocking over of newspaper stands and the like as he escapes, Adam leaves a clear trail. Despite his great size, he runs very quickly, so the women fall behind. Eventually, his footprints in the sand of the beach lead to the seashore just below Widow's Hill, and from there into the sea cave at the base of the cliff. The cave runs quite a way into the hill, and quickly grows dark inside.

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's the cave I found and got stuck in," says Victoria, "where you rescued me. If he can climb up the slope, he could get into the Collins house from there. We'd need some light to see in there, and I don't think we're equipped to take him on if he sees us. But now we know where he's hiding. We should consult with Professor Stokes and let him know what we've learned."

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Trusting that discretion is the better part of valor, the women retreat, consulting with Professor Stokes when they have a chance.

"Most interesting. From what you've told me, there is some connection between Barnabas and this fellow Adam. Some flow of the life force, perhaps. The fact that Mister Blair now occupies the House by the Sea suggests that he is involved somehow. Do you suppose there might be some way to inveigle the fellow into extending an invitation? Either directly, or through his sister? I think a glance about the place would be most enlightening."

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:50 pm
by SunlessNick

"Can he even fit in there?" Maggie asks of the cave, a tinge of vicarious claustrophobia making her shudder.

Later on, with the professor, she suggests that she could keep an eye out at the diner and see if he socialises with anyone - "There aren't too many places to hang out - where I work and where I go with Burke are about it."

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure if he can fit up the slope or not," says Victoria. "Even if he can, it's not easy to climb up it. That could be a way to approach him without him expecting it if we have to do it, but we'd need a rope to make sure we can get back out that way. We could try to get an invitation to the house from Mr. Blair or his sister. I can hang out with Maggie at the diner to see with whom he goes there."

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After a few days, it becomes clear that Nicholas Blair never shows up at the diner or the Blue Whale. Cassandra Collins is a frequent visitor at the House by the Sea, but otherwise spends most of her time at Collinwood, as if she is settling into domesticity.

On a certain occasion, Nicholas shows up at Collinwood and offers Victoria the chance to visit the House by the Sea.

"And bring your charming young friend as well," he adds. "There can never be too many pretty faces around the place."

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you!" says Victoria. "I'd be happy to come visit, and I'm sure Maggie would too."

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The evening in question proves to be a very simple dinner party, with only Nicholas and Cassandra present other than their guests. Nicholas is talkative, pointing the many antiques that fill the room, while Cassandra is mostly silent. As the night grows late, and the guests prepare to leave, they find that the door is somehow locked in a way that prevents them from exiting.

"I'm sorry," Cassandra says. "He has power over me."

"That will be enough out of you for tonight," Nicholas says. "Now, ladies, if you'll come downstairs."

A heavy door leading down into darkness opens, as if of its own accord.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"What's down there?" asks Victoria, starting to get very worried.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"The future of the human race," Nicholas says with a smile.

"Does it have to be them?" Cassandra looks at him sadly.

"Either them, or you, my dear, and I don't believe you're that noble. Now, will you enter the laboratory, or will there be need of force?"

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What are you going to do to us?" asks Victoria.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:28 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie keeps trying the door,even though it's locked. "What's down there, really?" she asks, echoing Vix's question.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I will not tolerate any delay," Nicholas says. "Very well. We shall do this the hard way."

He turns to face the open door.

"Adam! Come up here! I have work for you."

There is the sound of slow, heavy footsteps coming up from the basement.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Please," says Victoria desperately to Cassandra, "don't let him do this! You've got to help us!"

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Seemingly moved by Victoria's plea, Cassandra seizes Nicholas by the arm.

"Why them? I only wanted revenge on the Collins."

"Your petty little affairs are of no longer of any concern to me, my dear," Nicholas retorts, pushing her away. "Did you really think that I came here just to help you? I have far more important concerns. Now stand aside, or you know what I can do to you. Turnabout is fair play, you know, for what you did so very long ago."

At this threat, she draws back, behaving in an odd manner, touching her mouth and running to the nearest mirror to examine herself.

"Don't worry," Nicholas continues, "you're still safe enough, as long as you co-operate with my project."

By this time, Adam has emerged from the basement.

"Seize them!"

He obeys, grabbing each of the women by the arm and pulling her down to the basement.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"HELP!" screams Victoria, struggling and dragging her feet to no avail. "Adam, let us go!"

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Battle of CHA here, with the warning that Nicholas has high "bad" charisma. Victoria first:2d20
Adam seems to briefly hesitate, staring at Victoria with innocent curiosity, but when Nicholas shouts at hIm, "Now! You don't want to be punished, do you?"

In a very deep voice, Adam answers "No" and pulls the women downstairs.

At the bottom of the stairs is a bizarre scene. Barnabas, Doctor Hoffman, and Willie stand near a control panel full of knobs and switches, all three appearing anxious. There are two tables connected to the control panel through all kinds of wires and tubes. One is empty. Upon the other is what one might call a strikingly beautiful woman, very tall, with flaming red hair, if it were not for the fact that she is obviously dead.

"This is madness," Doctor Hoffman whispers.

"I've kept my part of the bargain, Doctor" Nicholas replies. "I've transferred enough of your gentleman friend's life energy to cure him of his little problem. Now you assist me with my project, or face the consequences."

"Whatever you say, mister," Willie says. "I don't want no trouble."

"Wise fellow."

While this is going on, Cassandra walks quietly down the stairs. Seeing her, Barnabas says "Why did you have to return? Haven't you tortured me enough? Haven't you had your revenge?"

"You can have your reunion later," Nicholas says. "For now, let's begin. Which one of you ladies wishes to go first? Or shall I choose?"

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:42 am
by SunlessNick

"Barnabas, please help us!" Maggie begs.

I gave her a morale roll, which I think is Charisma, -3 for cowardly, and got a 4.

"Me!" she says to Nicholas, "Me, don't hurt Vix!"

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"You don't have to hurt either one of us!" says Victoria. "There's a better way, Barnabas! I know you love Maggie, and you won't let anything happen to her. She is Josette returned to you. The curse can be lifted, if she comes to love you in turn."

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Impelled by Maggie's entreaty, and perhaps by the hope, no matter how impossible it seems, that he may be freed from his curse without the need to serve as the slave of Nicholas Blair, Barnabas launches himself at the man. They struggle, hand to hand, bumping against equipment as they fight.
Spoiler:
battle of dex, both 9, Barnabas first2d20
So far, the two combatants fail to harm each other. Instead, in a violent mockery of a dance, they grab each other and wander about the room in, struggling to break the other's will.
Spoiler:
same DEX, but not for battle this time2d20I was going to smash some equipment for whoever failed, and the dreaded 20 has a major bad effect.
In this mad combat, both men stumble together, landing against the control panel, knocking Doctor Hoffman to the floor. She bumps into Willie, who falls back against a series of switches and dials. Sparks fly everywhere, and the room fills with blinding light, as blue-white arcs of electricity flow from the control panel to the woman on the table. She jerks up, every muscle in her body twitching wildly, and screams, sounding more like an animal than a human being.

"Fools! All of you, fools!" Nicholas points at the horrified Cassandra. "I could have created a race to replace the puny human species. And it all started with your little plot for revenge, my dear. Taste your own curse!"

A strange power, unseen yet somehow sensed, seems to come from Nicholas' hand, seizing Cassandra in its grip. She shrieks "No! No!" Raising her hand to her mouth, she feels two long, sharp fangs appear.

"You won't be able to resist your thirst much longer, my dear, with a room full of young, innocent blood."

Meanwhile, the revived woman rises from the table, walking around in a seeming daze. Adam walks toward her, but she screams angrily at him, and begins lashing out in all directions, heedless of who she might strike.

"Lemme outta here, lemme outta here," Willie wails.

"None of you will leave this room alive," Nicholas promises.

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Stay behind me, Maggie," says Victoria, clutching her crucifix. "I can keep the vampire at bay if she comes toward us."

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:47 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie does what Vix says, as well as looking toward the door, figuring their odds of getting out.

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The woman's DEX = 18d20random attack: 1 = Adam, 2 = Nicholas, 3 = Cassandra, 4 = Hoffman, 5 = Willie 6 = Barnabas, 7 = Victoria, 8 = Maggied8damage:d6
Screaming and lashing out blindly, the woman strikes at Nicholas with a glancing blow, knocking him back on his feet and drawing blood from his forehead.
Spoiler:
Cassandra DEX = 11d20damaged6
Drawn by the sight of blood, Cassandra lashes out at the stunned Nicholas, sinking her fangs into his throat, from which blood flows copiously. Nicholas faints dead away, and Cassandra turns, her eyes bloodshot and mouth covered with blood.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:55 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie grabs Vix and makes a run for the door, calling out to Barnabas and Julia to follow.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria runs for the exit with Maggie, keeping the crucifix covered while Barnabas is near, but ready to display it if one of the other vampires approaches.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
STR 9 X 22d20

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 am
Spoiler:
STR 9 X 22d20
Driven to an unusual feat of strength by sheer panic, Maggie manages to break the door's lock. Cassandra, lured by the easiest victim of her bloodlust, approaches the cowering Willie.
Spoiler:
cha = 9d20
With a scream of "No! Not again!" Willie faints dead away.

Barnabas attempts to keep Cassandra away from Willie, shouting, "I should relish your suffering as I have suffered, but I will not let you do this!"
Spoiler:
str battle; Cassandra currently 11, Barnabas currently 92d20the dreaded 20
To no avail, for Cassandra easily knocks him to the floor, where he hits his head and is knocked unconscious.

Off in a corner, a stunned Doctor Hoffman mutters to herself something about "life force." Meanwhile, the woman and Adam stare at each other, he with a look of curious interest, she with disdain.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Get away from him!" Victoria commands Cassandra, holding out her crucifix to keep her at bay and force her to back away from Barnabas. She hopes it won't hurt him while he's unconscious.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:56 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie freezes a moment, unsure whether to run to Barnabas or Willie - but chooses Barnabas, trying to shake him awake.

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Shrieking with pain at the sight of the crucifix, Cassandra turns away, facing the wall.

Barely reviving from a state of unconsciousness, Barnabas gazes into Maggie's eyes and says weakly, "Josette . . . flee . . . Angelique . . ."

Speaking softly, with a trembling voice, Doctor Hoffman addresses Adam.

"Adam. Bring her to the machine. Do you understand?"
Spoiler:
int 9d20
Adam nods, and attempts to grab the woman by the arm.
Spoiler:
battles of equal str, so just lower roll, adam first2d20
The woman resists him, pushing him away with great force. Meanwhile, Doctor Hoffman works with the half-ruined equipment.
Spoiler:
int 11d20
"I've fixed it! Transferring the life force is our only hope!"

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"There's another way, a better way," says Victoria. "True love has the power."

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:15 am
by SunlessNick

"Barnabas, we have to get out of here," pleads Maggie.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Barely able to walk, Barnabas heeds Maggie's words and attempts to aid her.
Spoiler:
str reduced to 6d20
Due to his weakened condition, he is unable to be of much help.

"If Adam could be persuaded . . ." he begins, too exhausted to continue.

Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Adam, please!" calls Victoria. "You don't have to listen to what they tell you to do! You are free, do you understand? You can make your own decisions! You don't have to stay here! You can leave this place and go wherever you want!"

I thought Maggie already broke down the door.

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:28 am
by SunlessNick

"You saw me before, Adam, right?" Maggie adds. "And you didn't hurt me. You're not like them."

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:37 pm

"Adam, please!" calls Victoria. "You don't have to listen to what they tell you to do! You are free, do you understand? You can make your own decisions! You don't have to stay here! You can leave this place and go wherever you want!"

I thought Maggie already broke down the door.
Spoiler:
edited to correct my error!

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
d20

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:43 am
Spoiler:
cha rolld20
Despite Victoria's entreaties, Adam does not seem persuaded. His attention seems entirely focused on the woman.

"Stay," he pleads with her.
Spoiler:
cha = 8d20
Instead of responding, the woman snarls at him and lashes out.
Spoiler:
dex = 18d20damaged6
The blow is not a very serious one, although a bruise forms on Adam's scarred face. Enraged, he lunges at her.
Spoiler:
dex 18d20
She is quick to dodge out of his way, barely escaping his fists.
Spoiler:
cha rolld20
Suddenly, his mood changes when he hears Maggie's plea. He turns to her and approaches.

"Run, Josette," cries Barnabas weakly. "Escape while you can! Leave Angelique and I to our mutual destruction!"

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:05 am
by SunlessNick

"I... I can't do that," Maggie says - she isn't Josette, but something about Barnabas touches her - and she'd never forgive herself if she left him. She tries to help him up, torn as to whether to ask Vix for help (or to help Willie) or let her run.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're coming with us, Barnabas," says Victoria. She tries to revive Willie so that he can help them carry Barnabas, though if he can't be awakened, she'll help carry him herself.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I'll assume use of Heal Light Wounds revives Willie, but let's see if he's got the strength. Str=9d20
Victoria is able to revive Willie. He sees that Barnabas is greatly weakened, so he carries him outside to (relative) safety. (Willie's attitude towards Barnabas is a curious mixture of fear and respect, but there's hardly time to wonder about that now.)

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Meanwhile, a pair of battles rage.

Adam and the unknown woman struggle hand-to-hand, growling at each other wordlessly.
Spoiler:
equal characteristics, so Adam first2d20damaged6
Adam strikes the woman harshly upon the mouth, drawing blood and knocking her back a few steps. Then, as if their rage is transformed in an instant into other emotions, the woman begins to sob shamelessly, and Adam whines, as if pleading for forgiveness.

At the same time, Cassandra, her bloodlust unsated, lunges at Doctor Hoffman. The intended victim lifts an object that hangs around her neck to ward her off; not a cross, as one might think, but the large, multi-colored bauble she always wears.
Spoiler:
wis 9 to resistd20
Whatever Doctor Hoffman intended by this gesture, it has had no effect, and Cassandra continues to attack.
Spoiler:
dex 11d20
Doctor Hoffman just barely manages to leap aside as Cassandra grabs at her throat. Cassandra hisses with fury at being frustrated.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about Dr. Hoffman?" asks Victoria. "She's still down there."

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 am
by SunlessNick

"Julia!" Maggie screams. She looks around for something that might be able to ward off Cassandra.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have my crucifix," says Victoria, brandishing it to force Cassandra to back away from Dr. Hoffman.

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As before, Cassandra turns away from the holy object with cries of pain. Doctor Hoffman rushes to join the others, leaving Adam and the woman behind.

"Lock them inside!" Doctor Hoffman cries.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about Adam?" asks Victoria. "He'll be trapped down there with them! I don't think he really understands what's going on. He's like a baby. A very big, very strong baby who doesn't know his own strength, but still. It hardly seems right to abandon him."

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:26 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie goes to do what Julia says, but hesitates at Vix's words. "Adam, come on!" she screams.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
cha rolld20

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:18 am
Spoiler:
cha rolld20
Drawn by the sound of Maggie's voice, Adam approaches her, holding his hands out to her.

"This is a very dangerous game you're playing," Doctor Hoffman warns.

Meanwhile, left together, Carolyn and the woman fight each other like enraged wild animals, neither one able to overcome the other.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:28 am
by SunlessNick

As soon as Adam is out, Maggie slams the door, shutting the two combattants inside. "Can we lock it?" she asks.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we'd better," says Victoria. "We can return in the morning, better equipped and with help. Then we'll have the sun on our side. It can restore a newly turned vampire to humanity, or it can destroy one that's older. But we need to get Barnabas somewhere safe before dawn. The only way he can be restored at this point is through true love, and that sometimes takes time."

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once things have settled down a bit, Doctor Hoffman hurriedly offers some information.

"Barnabas is free from the symptoms of his . . . condition as long as Adam is safe. It's much too complicated to explain now, but, in essence, enough of the life force has been transferred to restore Barnabas to a normal state, while keeping Adam alive. We've got to keep Adam away from prying eyes, and make sure he doesn't get into any more trouble."

Barnabas weakly agrees by nodding his head, while Willie stands by, clearly badly shaken. Adam follows Maggie around mutely. Meanwhile, crashing and snarling sounds come from beyond the locked door.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then it's doubly good we got Adam out of there," says Victoria. "We should barricade the door, just in case it doesn't hold."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:07 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie nods and looks around for stuff to wedge against the door.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is plenty of heavy furniture around the place to create a strong barricade, and to block out the sound of battle going on beyond the door. Adam, eager to please, at least for the moment, easily lifts even the heaviest objects and places them where directed to do so.

"What are we gonna tell Mister Collins?" Willie asks nervously. "He'll be real upset if his wife and the guy claiming to be her brother just disappear, maybe get the cops involved.

"That is a problem," Doctor Hoffman remarks. "If the police decide to search this house . . ."

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What if he could be made to think that he wasn't really her brother, and that the two of them just ran off together and left town?" asks Victoria. "Without any idea of where they went, he'd never be able to track them down, and if he tried, he wouldn't be looking around here. I'm no good at lying, though."

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:31 am
by SunlessNick

"I'm not either," Maggie says, "but it sounds like the best idea."

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
unexplained rolls for future use2d202d6
Perhaps to their surprise, when they confront Roger with this story, which takes some courage, he does not seem entirely surprised.

"I knew there was something going on," he confesses, after taking a large drink of whiskey. "But I thought it was with that damned lawyer. Cassandra is a very . . . passionate woman. I suppose she can't help herself. I seem doomed to be an utter failure at matrimony." He continues to drink heavily.

Time passes. The lawyer, Tony Peterson, seems to have vanished.

"Probably left town after Cassandra tossed him away for another plaything," Roger remarks bitterly.

The only other unusual event during this time is the discovery of the body of an unknown woman in the sea cave at the bottom of Widow's Hill. The police have been unable to identify her.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wonder whose body that was," says Victoria to Maggie, not certain whether it was Cassandra or the other woman. Whoever it was, someone had gotten her out of the basement and moved her to the cave. "No doubt they believe she went over Widow's Hill and the tide washed her into the cave."

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:11 am
by SunlessNick

Have there been rumours at the diner of anyone going missing?

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is, of course, much talk about the mysterious dead woman. The only persons known to be missing are Cassandra Collins, Nicholas Blair, and Tony Peterson. The common opinion is that Cassandra ran off with Tony, and that Nicholas went back to wherever he came from, eager to avoid hearing the gossip about his sister. (Most of the locals, of course, greatly enjoy any juicy stories that involve the Collins.)

After some time, the police finally resort to publishing a sketch of the dead woman, hoping that someone can identify her. (A photograph would be too gruesome to publish in a family newspaper, so a police artist produces a portrait of what she must have looked like in life.) When Victoria and Maggie see the portrait, they instantly recognize her as the unknown woman in the basement of the House by the Sea. It is a tricky question to decide if they should mention this to anyone, or keep it quiet.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's talk to Professor Stokes first," Victoria suggests to Maggie. "We need to tell him what happened, and maybe he'll know what to do."

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:32 am
by SunlessNick

"Agreed. Too many people looking into her might come back on Barnabas and Adam."

(At some point in the aftermath of events in the cellar, Maggie will make a point of checking how Willie is doing, feeling guilty about the moment where she ran to Barnabas rather than him. Afterwards, since it's in her mind, she'll mention it to Vix, wondering if this might be some progress toward being enough love to cure Barnabas)

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure," says Victoria, "but it's a good start. I've always wanted to fall in love, but I haven't yet, so I don't really know what it feels like."

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A conference is arranged with Professor Stokes, as well as with Doctor Hoffman, who seems to more about the situation than she has heretofore revealed. Although their presence would be helpful, Barnabas and Willie have their hands full taking care of Adam, educating him in the basics of human behavior, and ensuring that he doesn't get into any mischief.

After much discussion, and not a little pressure from Professor Stokes, who knows something about Doctor Hoffman's previous questionable activities at Windcliff Sanitarium, the story comes out, at least in outline.

"Doctor Lang was obsessed with reanimating the dead. He . . . assembled Adam, but needed to supply him with the life force. I knew that Barnabas possessed an excess of this force, due to his . . . condition. It seemed like transferring it from Barnabas to Adam would kill two birds with one stone. I'm sorry, that's a poor choice of words. But Adam was impossible to control, at first. He . . . killed Lang before Barnabas could capture him, due to their special connection.

"I thought that would be the end of it, until Nicholas Blair showed up, with his mad scheme to create a mate for Adam. That man had some strange power over the woman he claimed was his sister, and Barnabas was terrified of both of them. He convinced to help Blair, which I now greatly regret. You saw what happened next. Blair was going to take the life force from either Miss Winters or Miss Evans , or perhaps both, and make his female creation invincible. How he was able to . . . transform Cassandra into what she is now, I don't know. Obviously, the two fought to the death, and Cassandra won. She must have hidden the body in the sea cave, proving that she not only managed to escape the House by the Sea, but that she possesses the strength of one in her condition, as well as all the cunning Barnabas claims she had when he knew her, long ago."

After much thought, Professor Stokes replies, "An extraordinary story. Now that the woman -- I presume that Blair would have named her Eve, in a mockery of Scripture -- has been destroyed, there is no possibility of treating her in the same manner as Barnabas Collins, by transferring the life force. If what Barnabas hints at is true, Cassandra is far more experienced with the dark world of the occult than the unfortunate Miss Stoddard, and will not be so easy to subdue. And I am not entirely convinced that we have heard the last of Mister Blair. Has anyone actually seen his body, since the events at the House by the Sea?"

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Not I," says Victoria. "The only body found was that of the woman. Nicholas Blair could be alive...or undead. Cassandra could have transformed him into another of her kind."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:36 am
by SunlessNick

"Barnabas called her something else," Maggie says. "The way he sometimes calls me Josette. Angelique, that was it. He told me to 'leave him and Angelique to their mutual destruction.' Does that name mean anything to anyone?"

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With a thoughtful frown, Professor Stokes rises to consult his extensive library of old and curious books. Leafing through a particularly thick and ancient-looking volume, he finds a certain page.

"Yes, I thought that sounded familiar. Those are two very uncommon names to be found in New England. Of course, the tragic tale of Josette Collins, formerly DuPres, is not unknown to me. From this record book, dating back to the late 18th century, I find recorded here that she arrived from Martinique in the company of a maidservant by the name of Angelique Bouchard. Remarkably, that woman was married, for a brief time, to Barnabas Collins. Perhaps I should say, the first Barnabas Collins? In any case, Angelique disappeared, and Barnabas soon emigrated to England -- or so the standard histories of Collinsport say, if their account can be trusted.

"Do you suppose that Barnabas was confused in his mind between the two women? He was in a most agitated state, after all."

"When Barnabas was suffering most strongly from his . . . condition," Doctor Hoffman says, "he sometimes told me that Angelique cursed him, and made him what he is. I tried to explain that there must be a scientific explanation for an admittedly unusual phenomenon . . ."

"Be that it may," Professor Stokes replies, "one might ponder the hypothetical possibility of a single person being both a witch and a vampire, if you will forgive an old man for using those unscientific terms, Doctor. Such a combination would be quite formidable. And as for the possibly deceased Mister Blair, what strange power could allow him such control over an enchantress, that she was clearly terrified of him, and render him the ability to subject her to what you so delicately call a 'condition?'"

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:51 am
by SunlessNick

"It would explain a lot if the first Barnabas Collins was the same Barnabas Collins," Maggie says. "Vampires are supposed to be immortal, right?"

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was working under that assumption," says Victoria. "I know Josette is Barnabas's lost love, and he has never stopped loving her, even after all this time. It makes me sad to think about it. I wish there was some way their tragic past could be changed. Barnabas sees Maggie as Josette, and she's the spitting image of her. You're the expert on vampires, Professor. Can't a vampire make a mortal into another vampire, and it doesn't have to be by a witch's curse? I remember that happened in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I also recall that the vampire doing so had power over the vampires that it made. That could explain Nicholas Blair's power. Maybe he was a vampire already and turned Cassandra into one."

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"An obvious hypothesis," Professor Stokes remarks, "but not without certain difficulties. For one thing, from what you have told me, Mister Blair was often seen walking about in broad daylight. For another, the sudden transformation of Mrs. Collins took place without any sign that he fed upon her, which goes against all versions of the legend with which I am familiar. Of course, there may be much of which I am unaware."

"This is all very well," Doctor Hoffman says, "but what can we do now? Cassandra could wreak havoc on Collinsport. And if there is truly some form of ancient enmity between she and Barnabas . . ."

"Not to mention the need to both protect and restrain Adam, lest Mr. Collins revert to his prior unfortunate state. This situation requires further investigation, and much caution. Where to begin, where to begin?"

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We could research their pasts," suggests Victoria. "The more information we have about them, the better we'll be able to understand their motivations and predict where they might go and what they might do. They'll also need a safe haven now that they can no longer use the house. We can try to locate that."

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:04 am
by SunlessNick

"Are there any houses for sale in town?" Maggie suggests.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
unexplained die rolls2d20

Spoiler:
Weird! I don't know where that 2d6 came from. Disregard it, and go with the 2d20. One major success, and one total failure!
Perhaps some intuition leads Victoria to examine an old volume of colonial New England history, and to flip through its yellowing pages. There, in an anecdotal account of the infamous witch trials of the Seventeenth Century, is mention of a powerful warlock by the name of Nicolaas Blaare, who escaped justice by vanishing into thin air before several witnesses.

Meanwhile, searching through the classified ads of Professor Stokes' copy of the Collinsport Star fails to reveal any homes or other buildings for sale. What with the recent change from a simple fishing community to an artist's colony and tourist town, there is hardly any real estate available in Collinsport.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria shares her findings. "This could be the same man," she says. "Perhaps he escaped by traveling through time into his future, to our time. He could have placed a curse on Cassandra to turn her into a vampire."

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"An interesting suggestion, " says Professor Stokes, "if somewhat disconcerting. If this Blair, or whatever he calls himself, survives, he must be extraordinarily powerful. If, on the other hand, Cassandra, or whatever she calls herself, managed to destroy him, she must truly be formidable. What is that African proverb? 'When elephants battle, it is the grass that suffers.' I am afraid that we, and the good people of Collinsport, are the grass.

"Which raises another question, if you will allow me to stretch the metaphor to the breaking point; who among us shall make use of an elephant gun?"

After some time of silence, Doctor Hoffman takes her leave, to see that Barnabas and Adam remain safe at the Old House. "I hope that I've seen the last of those so-called siblings. I won't be getting much sleep at night, I'm afraid."

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Do we even have an elephant gun?" asks Victoria. "We know the weaknesses of a vampire, yes, but what can we do about a warlock? I suppose first we must find out which one of them prevailed. We should inspect the site of the battle for clues as to who won, and where he or she went."

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:24 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie swallows. "So long as we go back in daylight."

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
2d20quoted myself; see below

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A trip back to the House by the Sea during daylight hours is arranged. The place seems quiet enough from outside. Located as it is, away from other houses in Collinsport, it doesn't get much traffic. Undisturbed sand on the porch, blown there by sea breezes, indicates that no one has been around for some time. The front door is easy enough to open, and the interior appears to be peaceful. The door to the basement is slightly ajar, concealing what lies below.

2d20quoted myself; see die rolls above

Passing by a small oval mirror on the wall, Maggie notices something strange about it. It does not reflect the room, as one would expect, but rather displays a blurry gray image, something like what might be seen on a television set tuned to a dead channel.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Could this actually be a TV of some sort?" Victoria wonders aloud. She looks around it for anything that might resemble a knob or an antenna that she could adjust to get a clear picture from the mirror.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 am
by SunlessNick

Does it feel like ordinary glass?

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is nothing out of the ordinary visible in the structure of the mirror, except the odd appearance of the surface. When Maggie touches it, her fingers are able to move beneath what would ordinarily be solid glass. The sensation is similar to the feeling of a cool fog. The motion of her fingers causes the mist to roil in an agitated fashion. Briefly seen images, lasting mere fractions of a second, appear and vanish in the mist. What can be made out of them suggest that they are various scenes of places in Collinsport.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe it's magic, not science," says Victoria. "It's like a magic mirror from some fairy tale. If you press your fingers through it, the images appear. I suppose keeping them in a specific position would allow the image of the area associated with that position to remain as long as you hold them still."

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:34 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie tries that.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Certain positions of Maggie's fingers reveal a pair of local business establishments, familiar to residents of Collinsport. One is Braithwaite & Sons, jewelers and silversmiths for well over a century. The other is Brewster's department store, a more modern, if modest, establishment. These two places appear to produce more stable images than others, as if the mirror has somehow been "tuned" to them.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:03 am
by SunlessNick

"They probably bought stuff from these places," Maggie says doubtfully, "but why would they need to watch them?"

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they were planning a heist," says Victoria. "Shall we check the basement? That's where they were trapped, and where they fought each other."

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The door to the basement opens easily. Downstairs, everything is in chaos, the electrical equipment destroyed and scattered all over. There are large reddish-brown stains on the floor. In one corner, there is a pile of gray ashes.

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It appears that Cassandra lost," says Victoria, pointing to the pile of ashes. "That's bad news, but at least it appears she made him bleed first. We know how to fight a vampire, but not a time-traveling warlock. I know it's gross, but should we...search the ashes to see if Cassandra had anything that remains intact?"

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:21 am
by SunlessNick

"Better ashes than blood," Maggies says

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
2d20

Among the ashes, buried deep within them, so that it could not be seen by a casual observer, is a heavy gold ring, bearing a red jewel.

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Look at this," says Victoria, thinking back to try to recall if Cassandra had had a ring like this. "We should show this to Professor Stokes. He might be able to tell something about it if he examines it. It is something a vampire had. Maybe it's magical."

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Neither woman can recall seeing Cassandra wear the ring, or anything like it.

2d20

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 am Neither woman can recall seeing Cassandra wear the ring, or anything like it.

2d20

In fact, taking a close look, Maggie notices that it is much too large for Cassandra's delicate fingers.

When the ring is brought to Professor Stokes, he pronounces it to be of great age.

"Certainly prior to industrialization," he says, examining it through a magnifying glass. "Note the many tiny irregularities in the metal, although the workmanship is quite fine."

d20

"Other than that, I can tell nothing of its origins."

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:37 pm
by SunlessNick

"Would it fit Blair's fingers, do you think?" Maggie asks.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is there any way to test if it has magical power?" asks Victoria.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:44 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:37 pm

"Would it fit Blair's fingers, do you think?" Maggie asks.
"It is certainly large enough to be a man's ring, yes," Professor Stokes remarks.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:32 am

"Is there any way to test if it has magical power?" asks Victoria.
"One would have to be brave enough to place it upon one's finger, without being able to predict the effect," Professor Stokes answers. "There are such things as cursed and possessed objects, according to legend."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:43 pm
by SunlessNick

"Uh, let's call that Plan B," Maggie suggests. "Maybe there's a picture of it somewhere in those books."

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good idea, let's look through them," says Victoria. "I'd also rather not place a possibly cursed ring on my finger."

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
d20

After a great deal of time spent searching through Professor Stoke's extensive, if eccentrically organized, library of arcane and esoteric volumes, the investigators discover a woodcut in a Dutch volume dating back to the early 16th century. The illustration shows a man being burnt at the stake for heresy, a hood covering his features. The picture is remarkably detailed, allowing one to clearly identify the ring worn by the heretic as identical to the one discovered in the House by the Sea. Professor Stokes suggests that the style of the woodcut resembles that of the great German artist Albrecht Dürer, or perhaps a student or imitator.

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It seems he's been around far longer than we've known," says Victoria. "If that is in fact him in the woodcut, and he didn't simply obtain the ring afterwards. It looks like we'll have to do further historical research. The more we know about his past, the more information we'll have that could help us defeat him. If burning him at the stake wasn't enough, we have our work cut out for us. Possessing the ring itself may be of use, however. It may give us some power over him, if we can figure out how. Of course, he also will most likely want it back."

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:18 am
by SunlessNick

"Hopefully he won't know we have it," Maggie says. "Is there a safe here we can put it in? Or maybe a safety deposit box."

(Is there a bank in town?)

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Collinsport branch of the Fisherman's Savings and Loan is quite willing to secure any valuables in a safety deposit box, for the proper fee. The two women are allowed to place whatever they like within it, in privacy.

"Anybody who works in this town learns not to ask too many questions," the clerk says as she leaves them.

Once this business is completed, the pair learn that the talk around town is about the disappearance of a couple of young dock workers, one day apart.

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We should investigate this," Victoria says to Maggie. "I think it may be related to you-know-who. Let's read what's in the newspaper first about it, and then we can ask the police what they know."

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Collinsport Star has a brief article about the disappearance, describing both men as young, healthy, unmarried, and without relatives in the area. The foreman at the docks says that both were hardworking and reliable, "not the kind to come in with a hangover on Monday morning."

At the local police station, the constable on duty asks the women why they're so interested.

"Were you dating the guys?"

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, we've never met them," says Victoria. "We just read a lot of Nancy Drew, and we thought we might be able to help. Young ladies won't draw the same kind of notice that police will."

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The constable snorts a bit at this.

"Amateurs. What the heck. Look; both these guys hung around the Blue Whale quite a bit. You could check it out if you want to. Maybe you're right; folks might be willing to talk to somebody who isn't wearing a uniform. That'll keep you out of my hair while I check with missing persons reports out of Bangor, Boston, New York . . . Jeez, more paperwork." He takes a sip of coffee, frowns at it, and shuffles some papers on his desk.

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, we'll do that," says Victoria. "We hang out at the Blue Whale ourselves sometimes, so we'll fit right in there."

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:37 pm
by SunlessNick

When the girls are outside, Maggie asks, "The Blue Whale definitely sounds like a better place to go looking for guys than mooching around the dock."

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As common sense would suggest, Friday and Saturday nights are the best for mingling with the crowds at the Blue Whale. (Those are also the times both women are likely to be free from their employment duties.) The first couple of weekends, not much is learned. A little while later, however, Burke Devlin happens to be present, after being out of town for a while. Greeting both women, he explains that he's been back and forth between Boston and Bangor, trying to track down the lawyer Tony Peterson.

"Can't find hide nor hair of the guy," he explains. "Not in his office at all, and he's been missing court dates for some time. Right after I paid him a good retainer, too. You haven't seen him, have you?"

Meanwhile, a few young men who are obviously dockworkers, just coming off work, wander in, drinking beer and eyeing the crowd. At just about the same time, Carolyn Stoddard enters with Joe Haskell, their on-again off-again relationship apparently on the upswing, although Carolyn is quick to acknowledge the interest of the dockworkers.

Shifting position so that he isn't facing the newcomers, Burke asks in a low voice, "So what's new up at the palace. Any dirt on Roger and the gang?"

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:33 pm
by SunlessNick

"You're not the only one looking," Maggie says. But the only she dirt she really has would hurt Sam just as much, and she's not going to give that away, even to Burke. She keeps an eye on the docker's crowd, seeing if any other girls are around them.

"Have you heard of a guy called Nicholas Blair? He's the one Tony was mixed up with before. He's really bad news."

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suspect he may have something to do with Tony's disappearance," says Victoria.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Let me make a few phone calls." Burke gets up and heads for the pay phone.

Meanwhile, one of the dock workers puts a quarter in the juke box and selects a slow instrumental number, that is easily recognized as the most popular song among the patrons of the place.
Spoiler:
He and a buddy approach.

"You ladies wanna dance?" says the jukebox guy. He smells slightly of beer.

At about the same time, it can be seen that Carolyn leaves Joe for a while in order to speak to Burke. They whisper together for a while.

Eventually, regardless of whether the women have hit the dance floor or not, Burke returns with some news.

"Seems this Blair character had some big financial dealings with a millionaire publisher named Sky Rumson. Lives on a private island in a fabulous mansion, about as ritzy as the Collins place. Place called Little Windward Island, maybe fifty miles from here. I can't quite figure out the connection. Secret Swiss bank accounts and the like. Maybe Peterson got mixed up in that. Could mean big money for him."

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria is happy to dance with the dock worker.

"He sounds like someone who might have some answers," she says when Burke returns. "But how can we arrange to meet him? Does he ever have parties on his island?"

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"The guy is something of a recluse. Boats carry supplies to the place, of course, but as far as I know it's just him and his wife almost all the time. Newlyweds."

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Is it the dockworkers who bring the supplies in the boats?" asks Victoria. "It's curious that a couple of them have gone missing recently. And who is his wife?"

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:53 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie will take a turn dancing of course. "Have any boats gone missing?" she asks in response to the line of conversation between Vix and Burke.

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:48 pm

"Is it the dockworkers who bring the supplies in the boats?" asks Victoria. "It's curious that a couple of them have gone missing recently. And who is his wife?"
"Mostly it's this one sailor who runs the boat, but he hires guys off the dock. I never met his wife. I don't know if anybody around here has ever seen her."

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:53 pm
Maggie will take a turn dancing of course. "Have any boats gone missing?" she asks in response to the line of conversation between Vix and Burke.

"Not that I know about. It would be pretty hard for that to go unnoticed."

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Meanwhile, the two dance partners of the women toss in what they know about Rumson. It seems that he pays old man Fredricks, the pilot of the supply boat, real good wages. They've been thinking about signing up to go with him.

"Try to wrangle me an invitation to his fabulous mansion," shouts out the eavesdropping Carolyn. "I hear he throws some pretty wild parties."

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, he does?" says Victoria. "If you do sign up, do you think you can get me and my friends invited to a party there?" she asks her dance partner.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
He shrugs. "I can give it a try. I'll talk to the old guy who runs the boat up there in the morning."

The next day, word comes back that the two workers at the Blue Whale last night have been hired by the boat owner. It takes a while to fill the vessel with plenty of supplies, from the basic to luxuries. The two women probably have a chance to watch the loading, while in town at work or on errands. The deliveries tend to take place quite late in the afternoon.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:36 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie will be there, work permitting.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria will also be there, provided she's free.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Both women have sufficient free time to witness the loading of the vessel. The supplies consist mostly of fresh and frozen foods, with a wide variety of dry goods as well. The two dockworkers they met at the Blue Whale are doing the loading. They wave to the women. One of them says to the older man who is the owner and pilot of the boat, "How about takin' on a coupla stowaways, Pop?" He makes no reply.

The boat is equipped with large forward searchlights that enable it to safely navigate the waters between Collinsport and Little Windward Island. It can be seen that name of the boat is Santo António de Lisboa and that, despite its clean, modern lines, it is decorated with hand-painted images of crosses and fish.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"What a nice boat," says Victoria. "Portuguese, I see. That's a good sign. The Portuguese are well-known as skilled navigators."

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Yes, lady," the elderly owner/pilot says. "You want see?"

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:31 pm
by SunlessNick

"Sounds good," Maggie smiles.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I'd like that," says Victoria, also smiling.

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once both women are on board and have been given something of a quick tour, the owner/pilot scurries off to the controls and sets off in the direction of Little Windward Island.

"Be there two, three hour," he says, oblivious to any protests. Whether due to his limited command of English, or for some other reason, he doesn't seem to think that this might have been an unplanned excursion. The two workmen try to make it as much of a pleasure cruise as possible, most of the hard labor either completed or yet to come. By the time the boat reaches the island, the sun has set. It has to be admitted that the island is a lovely place, the mansion overlooking a small harbor where the boat comes to rest, moon and stars reflected in the calm water. After tying up the boat, the two workers start unloading the supplies. They must have done this at least once or twice before, as they know exactly where to carry the stuff, in the rear of the house. The owner/pilot remains on board, smoking and humming to himself.

"Leave with tide, you here or not," he tells everyone else. This would probably be just before dawn.

Meanwhile, a fairly young, handsome, well-dressed man emerges from the front of the house.

"Good evening. Welcome to Little Windward Island. I'm Schuyler Rumson. Call me Sky."

He seems to have been expecting guests.

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, Sky, I'm Vicki," says Victoria. "This is a nice place."

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:17 am
by SunlessNick

"I'm Maggie. It's good to meet you.

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Pleased to meet you. My wife should be down in a few minutes. She's very sensitive to bright sunlight; you know the way it reflects off the water. Gives her migraines, so she usually stays in her room until the sun goes down. Meanwhile, can I get you folks something to drink?"

The two men are glad to accept some excellent European beer, and Sky has a fine selection of imported mineral water for those who don't indulge.

"Let me give you the grand tour."

He shows his guests his collection of paintings, including one entitled A View of South Wales. Unlike the others, it is encased in an alarmed glass frame, although it appears to be a rather ordinary landscape painting. During the ensuing discussion of art, the two workmen drift off, apparently not very interested.

Some time later, Mrs. Rumson makes an appearance.

"Ah, there you are, darling. Meet a couple of new acquaintances."

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Vicky," says Victoria with a smile. "Pleased to meet you."

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:41 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie glances at Vix when Sky mentions his wife being sensitive to sunlight, but greets the woman herself with a bright smile. "Hi, I'm Maggie. You have some great paintings here."

(She has one beer, but otherwise sticks to the mineral water, not wanting to get drunk).

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mrs. Rumson seems a bit disoriented at first.

"Forgive me. It takes me a while to recover from my migraines. Please call me Angelique. I'm sure we'll be good friends, although I'm not sure if I should encourage Sky to keep company with such lovely young women," she adds with a laugh.

Turning to the encased painting, she says "There was a lady who was quite interested in this work, wasn't there, dear?"

"Not for sale at any price," Sky says.

Casual conversation follows well into the night, as well as a wide variety of light foods, prepared by Sky himself, who doesn't seem to have hired any servants, despite his obvious wealth.

"I'm afraid you're stuck here until the captain says it's time to return to the mainland," Sky says. "Not even I could convince to leave until he says it's time. I suspect the two gentlemen who came with you are sleeping it off somewhere. If you're tired, I have plenty of guest rooms, and even a change of clothing; we have frequent overnight guests. There's no need for you to leave at dawn if you'd rather spend the night and the next day."

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria has only had the mineral water, still being too young to drink beer. "Thank you for your hospitality," says Victoria. "We'll just need to make a couple of phone calls to let people know we won't be back today."

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, well, I'm afraid they haven't laid a cable from the island to the mainland yet. I don't suppose you know anybody with a shortwave radio set, do you? That's how I keep in communication with my offices in New York and Boston. I'm a bit of a ham, you see. Uh, I mean amateur radio enthusiast, not a bad actor," Sky says with a chuckle. "I keep the equipment in the basement--"

"I don't think our guests are interested in all that," Angelique says. "Why don't you show them the observation deck? It's a fine night for stargazing. I'll go freshen up."

As Angelique excuses herself, Sky takes the women outside to a large outside deck, facing away from the mainland. With most of the light from the shore blocked by the mansion, the Milky Way glows overhead. There's a telescope facing the open sea, and Sky, true to his nickname, takes great pleasure in showing his guests the wonders of the heavens. In a lot of ways, he's like a much young man, fond of his hobbies.

When Angelique returns, after some time, she seems much brighter, her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes sparkling.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie forces herself not to start at the name Angelique, but does share a glance with Vix when no one else is looking.

Does Maggie's circle of friends include anyone with a radio set? If so, she'll mention it to Sky and ask if she and Vix can use his.

Otherwise, "That's amazing!" she says of the Milky Way.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria nods in response to Maggie's glance. "You look wonderful, Angelique," she says. "What's your beauty secret?"

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Just for fun, let's do some math. There were 755,430 licensed ham radio operators in 2018. (More than in 1967, I assume, due to 1% growth, according to an article I'm looking at.) Let's call it one million. US population in 1967 is about 200 million. So, let's be generous and say one percent of the population. Another article says the average person has about 150 acquittances. Let's assume friendly, outgoing Maggie has 200. So, she should know at least one or two ham radio operators! Whether they can be reached is another matter.
"Sure, go ahead and fool around with it," Sky says, as he leads them down to the basement. Besides the radio equipment, there's a wet bar, couch, and other amenities. "I assume you know how."

On the way down, Angelique responds to Victoria's comment.

"You're too kind. I just try to keep a healthy diet and stay out of the sun." She laughs merrily. "The curse of being a blue-eyed blonde, you know."

When all four persons are in the basement, a small click can be heard as Angelique closes the door behind herself.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did it lock?" asks Victoria, hearing the click. "You've got the key, right? I wouldn't want us to get stuck down here."

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:07 am
by SunlessNick

"Too right," Maggie says, turning the radio on. She tries to put a laugh in her tone, but Angelique being down here with them makes her nervous.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:17 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
let's see if Maggie can operate the radio and reach somebody.d20
bzzz . . . . bzzzz. . .. CQ, CQ. This is WX1ABC, in Collinsport, Maine. Come in, please. Over.

The voice belongs to a fellow who has stopped by for coffee and doughnuts at the Collinsport Inn diner, so Maggie recognizes it.

At this point, Angelique says "Oh, did I lock us in? How silly of me. Of course I have the key." She opens the door with a dramatic gesture, seeming to be a bit annoyed (with herself?)

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Why was the door designed so that it locks when it closes?" asks Victoria. "Someone could get trapped down here."

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Well, you know," Sky says vaguely. "Valuable equipment and all that. Say, why don't I check on our other guests while you talk to the mainland. Coming, dear?"

He and Angelique walk back upstairs, after she gives the key to Victoria, rather ostentatiously.

"Just to ease your mind," she says.
Spoiler:
2d20
Straining to listen to the radio, during a moment when it grows silent, you can hear Sky and Angelique arguing about something in voices kept to a whisper, but definitely intense, although you can't make out the words.

When they return, Sky says "Looks like the guys are sleeping it off. Not used to that strong European beer, I guess. They won't be able to catch the pre-dawn boat back, I think. Have you two ladies decided whether or not to spend the night as well?"

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:44 pm
by SunlessNick

"I think we have to, yeah?" Maggie says. Assuming Vix concurs, she relays this across the radio, adding that the girls will be back tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Victoria. "Yes, we'll stay the night."

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The women are shown to their individual guest rooms, which are very comfortable and finely equipped.
Spoiler:
2d20
In the middle of the night you are awakened, assuming you can sleep at all, by the sound of a small motorboat -- definitely not the one on which you arrived. Gazing out the window of the guest room, you can make out the vessel heading from the island to the mainland, with one person aboard. You may choose whether to go back to sleep, if you can, or to keep watching throughout the rest of the night.

You spend a quiet night, whether or not you are able to sleep.

The next morning, Sky makes excuses for his wife's inability to be with them, due to her migraine acting up.

"Make yourself at home," he says, showing them around the place so they'll be familiar with the facilities. "The captain should be back this afternoon with more deliveries, and he can take you back then. I'll be working in the basement most of the day, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm not much of a host."

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria checks on Maggie and sees if she was also awakened. If so, she'll fill her in on what she saw. Either way, she sees no reason to stay awake. She'll need her rest.

"Thank you," says Victoria in the morning. "I'm sure we can entertain ourselves."

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The rest of the day is quiet, even boring, although one can always enjoy views of the ocean. Sky has a fairly extensive library, mostly bound volumes of the magazines published by the company he owns. As predicted, the Portuguese boat shows up in the late afternoon, with some miscellaneous supplies and a couple of young men to unpack it. As they unload the stuff, the owner/pilot indicates that he is ready to go back to the mainland, if the women wish to climb aboard.
Spoiler:
2d20
Wait a minute. Didn't the Portuguese guy previously say he had to wait for the tide to turn before he could go back? It's not yet that time. What's going on?

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Do you want to go back now?" Victoria asks Maggie, "We could always come back another time."

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
While the two women make their plans, they hear the sound of a smaller motorboat than the Portuguese vessel heading away, from some other place on the island.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I wonder who's in the motorboat?" asks Victoria.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:08 pm

"I wonder who's in the motorboat?" asks Victoria.
When Sky shows up some time later, he shrugs and says "Beats me. Maybe you heard some of the junk I was working with downstairs. I've got a little workshop; power tools and such. Or," he adds with a grin, "maybe pirates are raiding the island."

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It sounded like they were leaving, actually," says Victoria.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm
by SunlessNick
Sorry for the absence.

"Didn't the captain say they had to wait for the tide to turn last night?" Maggie whispers to Vix.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're right, he did," Victoria whispers back.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sharing this information, it becomes clear to both that there must have been some other reason for the delay in setting off for the mainland.

In response to Victoria's statement, Sky says "Well, Angelique and I are still here, so I don't know who else would be heading for the mainland. Uninvited tourists, maybe? It's a gorgeous place, after all."

Angelique finally makes an appearance, as it is now the late afternoon and the sun is fairly low in the west. With the light not directly shining through the mansion's picture windows, which face east, to offer a fine view of the sea, she is able to tolerate it, it seems, although she wears wraparound sunglasses and looks rather pale.

"Are our guests staying, Sky?" she asks. "How delightful. I'm sure they'd love to explore the shore before sunset."

Are they staying? It is not completely clear what would be the wisest option.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Seeing that Angelique is able to endure some sunlight, Victoria realizes that she is not a vampire, or at least not yet. "What do you think, Maggie?" she asks. "Should we stay a little longer?"

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
2d20
While walking along the shore as they make up their minds, both women notice a place where there's a wooden stake, partly hidden among rocks, where there are tell-tale marks revealing that a rope has been used to tie up a boat. This is not the same place where the Portuguese captains lands; it seems to be a much smaller "harbor," and one that can't be seen from the mansion.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"That would be handy for slaying a vampire," says Victoria. "Angelique isn't one, as I had previously suspected, or she would not have been able to withstand the sunlight. But maybe she's in the process of being turned into one."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:59 am
by SunlessNick

"Maybe not all vampires are the same," Maggie says. "We don't know much more than we did before we got here - and people do know we're here at least."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's true," says Victoria. "I guess we can stay here a little longer then, and see what else we can discover. We can always use the radio to call the mainland."

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Agreeing to stay at least one night at the mansion, the two women are treated as honored guests. The Portuguese boat returns to the mainland, with only its owner/pilot aboard.
Spoiler:
2d20
Both women spend a peaceful, restful night, with nothing to interrupt their sleep. The next morning, they find Sky bustling around the kitchen in casual clothing.

"Scrambled OK with everybody?"
Spoiler:
2d20
Angelique soon enters, as elegantly dressed and coiffured as during the evening. She seems bright and cheerful, with a glow in her cheeks.

"The usual, darling?" Sky asks.

"Yes, please."

Sky prepares her a Virgin Mary cocktail. He limits himself to black coffee.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I'd love scrambled eggs," says Victoria.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:31 am
by SunlessNick

"Sounds great," Maggie says.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some idle chit-chat, Sky asks "Want me to run you two back to the mainland today? That Spanish guy--"

"Portuguese, dear," Angelique corrects him.

"--Portuguese guy comes and goes as he pleases. Don't want you to feel stranded here, although you're welcome for as long as you like."

While the women are thinking this over and discussing it between themselves, Angelique asks to speak to Sky in another room for a moment.
Spoiler:
2d20
You can hear just enough to tell that the two are having a heated argument, although they are trying to talk in whispers.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What do you think, Maggie?" asks Victoria.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 am
by SunlessNick

"They're arguing," Maggie says quietly, stepping a bit nearer the door so she can listen (at the same time looking for something near the door she can pretend interest in - a painting if there is one, since her father is an artist).

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A couple of rolls here, to see if you can hear anything important, and to see if you are discovered eavesdropping. You want low numbers. 2d20

Try as she might, Maggie cannot make out what the two are arguing about. In a few minutes, Angelique returns.

"Sky has the motorboat ready," she informs them. "He's got some boring business affairs to clear up in town. You're free to go along, or stay here and keep me company, as you like."
Spoiler:
2d20
It occurs to both women; why did Sky and Angelique both act as if they couldn't send their guests, and the workmen, back until the Portuguese captain's boat was ready to go, when he has his own?

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't mind keeping you company," says Victoria. "We can leave whenever we want, after all, once he returns." It would be good to be able to ask her questions without her husband around.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Angelique seems quite pleased with this answer, and is ready to engage in some conversation.

"So what's going on in Collinsport? I so seldom get a chance to visit the mainland. Any good gossip about the Collins family?

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:45 pm
by SunlessNick

"A girl after my own heart," Maggie laughs. She sticks to regular, mildly embarassing gossip though, rather than the dark secrets she and Vix have encountered.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria doesn't betray any confidences, saying only positive things about the Collins family. She does mention that she is living in Collinwood as David's governess.

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I understand he's a bright, if rather troublesome, young man. That must be quite a challenge for you. Tell me, do you ever seen anything of their British cousin, what's-his-name, Bernard?"

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"David can be a handful sometimes, but he's a delight to teach," says Victoria. "I've also seen their British cousin, Barnabas, from time to time."

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, yes, Barnabas. Such a quaint name. We must invite him over some time."

After some more talk, Sky returns in his motorboat. He walks in, greets everyone, and quickly grabs a cold bottle of mineral water from the wet bar refrigerator and gulps it down. His hair is wet with sweat, and his sailing clothes are grimy.

"Got that business taken care of," he says. "Been having fun while I was away?"

"Not as much as you did, I'll wager," Angelique replies, "with all those stocks and bonds and things."

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, what sorts of investments do you have?" asks Victoria.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, you know," Sky says vaguely. "Finance, that kind of thing. Say, anybody want to go snorkeling? I've got all the equipment, and plenty of extra bathing suits for guests."

"I think I'm going to go to my room and rest," Angelique says. "Sunny day, you know. Fine for swimming, not so fine for migraines."

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:15 pm
by SunlessNick

Maggie gets a little flustered when the subject of Barnabas comes up, admitting that he feels some attraction towards her (and almost certainly betraying that she does too).

"It was nice talking to you," she tells Angelique as the latter heads off.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I hope you feel better," says Victoria. "Snorkeling sounds like fun. Maggie, are you up for it?"

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Seeing that at least one guest is ready to join him, Sky shows them wear the swimsuits and equipment are located.

"Meet in, say, fifteen minutes at my private landing," he says, indicating the place they found before, that seemed to be hidden.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Once Victoria and Maggie have some privacy, she picks out a sensible one-piece swimsuit, not feeling confident enough to wear a bikini, and changes into it.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:00 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie does decide to try a bikini, figuring she's unlikely to get another chance to show herself off like that for a while (helped along by the slight sense of unreality about the place).

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Sky arrives in his own bathing trunks, carrying snorkels and masks. You might think even a happily married man would spend some time admiring the company, but he seems preoccupied. He enters a motor boat tied up at the dock, gesturing for the others to climb in.

"Better place for skin diving on another part of the island," he explains. "Can't walk there; rocks too rough."

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria boards the boat. "But the boat can get there, right?" she asks. "How deep is the water there? What kinds of aquatic life can be found there?"

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Instead of answering, Sky pushes forward the throttle and steers the boat away from the island, toward the mainland, but not in the direction of Collinsport itself, but to a more isolated part of the rocky Maine shore.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria keeps an eye out, looking for any signs of life.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the boat draws closer to the shore, it is possible to see a sea cave, illuminated by what seems to be flickering candlelight. Within there appear to be two people in long robes, standing near a large stone construction of some sort. This seems to be Sky's destination.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Who are those two?" asks Victoria. "Friends of yours?"

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:49 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie strains her eyes trying to see what it is the figures are standing next to.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:51 pm

"Who are those two?" asks Victoria. "Friends of yours?"
Sky sighs heavily. "One could hardly call them that. Just . . . acquaintances." He seems oddly troubled.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
d20

Try as she might, the cave is too dark, and the flickering candles too dim, for Maggie to tell anything about the stone structure. This may be a moot point, as Sky heads directly for it, landing the boat near the cave entrance. Once on shore, it can be seen that the figures, although mostly hidden by their hooded robes, are a man and a woman, both tall and slender, with long, pale hands emerging from their sleeves. The structure next to them seems to be some kind of strange altar.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I've done what you asked," Sky says. "Now will you leave my wife and I alone?"

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Realizing that the strange pale couple are likely vampires, Victoria grips her crucifix and prepares to brandish it if they approach her and Maggie.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two persons lift their hoods, revealing their faces, which seem ordinary enough. The woman approaches Victoria, showing no fear of the crucifix.

"It is time for the One whose image you carry to be replaced by the One to come," she says, displaying no emotion.

The man draws forward, holding a wooden box with the same multi-headed snake image as on the altar carved on its top. He offers it to her.

"Take this to Megan and Philip Todd," he tells her. Victoria recognizes the names as the owners of an antique shop in Collinsport. "Only one free of all corruption may carry it without being joined to us. Both of you will be free to go. Or, if you prefer, you may become one of us. Or, failing that also, you may be given to the One to come," he finishes, pointing to the altar.

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't like either of those last two options," says Victoria, taking the box, "so I guess I'll have to take this box to the Todds. What's in it, and who is the One to come?"

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"That is not your concern," says the woman. "Everyone will find out soon enough. One last thing: Do not attempt to open or discard the box, if you value the existence of this world at all."

While giving this speech, the man drags a small canoe, just big enough to hold the two women, from behind the altar. Somehow or other, it holds their clothing and any other items they brought with them to Sky's island.

"Go now," he says, indicating the direction they should row to reach Collinsport. "Say nothing of this to anyone; the Leviathans are watching."

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"What are the Leviathans?" says Victoria, getting into the canoe, making a mental note that they never said she couldn't X-Ray the box, and it doesn't look like it's made of lead.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:31 am
by SunlessNick

Maggie gets into the canoe as well, and picks up the oars, worried that Vix's questions will lead the man and woman to choose option 3.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:23 am

"What are the Leviathans?" says Victoria, getting into the canoe, making a mental note that they never said she couldn't X-Ray the box, and it doesn't look like it's made of lead.
The woman says, with a trace of anger in her voice, which has up to now been almost without emotion, "We are the Leviathans, and we welcome the One to come! Do not fail us, or all will perish!"

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria nods and begins to row, not wanting to risk trying to get any further information from them.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two women are able to get back to Collinsport safely, with Victoria in possession of the strange box. It would be simple enough to take it to antique shop owned by the Todds; getting it X-rayed at the local clinic would take some fast talking, as is this not something the place normally does. In either case, once Victoria gets back to the mansion at Collinswood, there is a Western Union telegram waiting for her, from Angelique Rumson.

MUST MEET BARNABAS PLEASE ARRANGE SOONEST STOP NOT FEAR STOP

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was thinking of going to Professor Stokes," says Victoria to Maggie. "He's an expert in the occult and would likely be able to help us. But we should meet Barnabas first. Angelique probably doesn't agree with her husband's arrangement, and she may have told Barnabas something about our particular situation."

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Arrangements are made for a meeting with the newly arrived Barnabas Collins, a distant cousin of the local Collins family from England, who has moved into Old House, currently being renovated. (Barnabas apparently has quite a fortune.) He appears to suffer from some unspecified disorder, as he has retained Doctor Julia Hoffman as his personal physician. Upon receiving his guests, he is rather courtly, in an old-fashioned way, paying particular attention to Maggie, despite the two coming from quite different backgrounds.

After the usual pleasantries, he inquires, "To what do I owe the delightful presence of such charming company?"

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We were given a message by Mrs. Angelique Rumson," says Victoria. "She wants to meet with you as soon as possible, and she says not to fear." She shows him the telegram.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Barnabas is startled by this message, crumbling the telegram in his hands and collapsing into a chair.

Speaking mostly to himself, he says "Angelique . . . Is there to be no respite? Shall I fall prey once more to such entrapments?" To his guests, he says "What is this all about? Do you have any idea?"

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think it might have to do with the Leviathans," says Victoria. "They told us not to tell anyone of the task they've assigned us, and that they're watching us."

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Barnabas, already fair of skin, grows paler.

"The Leviathans! I thought that was all over, long ago . . . If they have returned, you must do as they say, at least for the moment. The future of humanity is at stake!"

After a moment, calming down a bit, he goes on.

"So she calls herself Mrs. Rumson now. Yes, I knew that fellow had married recently, but I never dreamed . . . I must contact her somehow, without letting her husband know. If he is involved with the Leviathans, he must not know that you have told me all this. Is there some way you can let her know that I am willing to see her, without Mr. Rumson finding out about it? I dare not go to her myself, or attempt to send her a message. The Leviathans will remember me, and not be pleased."

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I could try going back to his island and see if I can talk to Angelique alone," says Victoria, "after I complete the Leviathans' task. Are you sure I should, though? They're as evil as they come, and I don't like the idea of helping them. Maybe we could X-Ray what they gave me first. Dr. Hoffman, do you have access to an X-Ray machine?"

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With some reluctance, Doctor Hoffman admits that she has quite a bit of equipment located in the basement of the Old House, necessary for her regular treatments of the disorder from which Barnabas suffers.

"If you will allow me to take possession of this . . . object, I will attempt to make an image of its interior."

Quite some time passes while Doctor Hoffman takes the X-Ray, assisted by an obviously reluctant Willie Loomis.

"That box gives me the creeps," he admits, "but whatever you say, Doc."

During the procedure, Barnabas and his guests discuss plans to contact Angelique.

"It will be necessary to reach the island by stealth," he says. "You will think me an abject coward, I know, but I am not comfortable crossing running water. Besides that, if the Leviathans have returned to Collinsport, they will be careful to make sure that I do not interfere with their plans. Let me serve as a way of drawing their attention from your activities."

A visibly shaken Willie and a pale Doctor Hoffman return from downstairs with the X-Ray. It reveals an irregularly shaped object, roughly spherical, within the box.

"This image does not reveal the fact that the . . . specimen was constantly changing shape during the procedure. I believe that it is organic in nature."

"All I know is that dang thing moved," Willie adds. "I think we made it mad."

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thing we didn't open it, then," says Victoria. "Could it be an egg of some sort? Should we still bring it where we were told? This thing would be very dangerous in the wrong hands, and I'm sure the hands that are waiting for it are the wrong ones, because the Leviathans want this done. I'm not sure what else we could do with it, though."

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"From my previous encounters with the Leviathans, I know that they deal most harshly with those who oppose their will," Barnabas explains. "If the box is not taken where they wish, they will be aware of the fact, and take further measures.

"I leave it to you. You may leave the box with me, if you wish, and I will try to stand against the Leviathans, if I can."

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Victoria, handing Barnabas with the box. "If you have the courage to oppose the Leviathans, I'll oppose them with you. If they are watching us, they already know that I've spoken to you anyway. What do you know about them? The more we know about our enemies, the better our chances of defeating them."

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Barnabas is silent for a moment, then narrates his strange tale.

"Long ago -- longer than you would think possible -- when I was enslaved by the woman who now calls herself Angelique Rumson, and was helpless to prevent myself from serving the forces of evil, I encountered the Leviathans. They planned to use me as part of their wicked scheme. Somehow, they were forced back to whatever dark realm from whence they came; I do not know how, nor did I question my good fortune. I suspect that even Angelique feared their power, and made use of her own arcane skills to drive them away; but that is mere speculation.

"In any event, now that they have returned from exile, there is great danger. Whoever opposes them openly is destroyed. There is much I do not know about them, but this much is clear. They are an ancient race, far older than humanity itself. Although they may take on the shapes of men and women, that is not their true form, and they seek to regain the world they once ruled.

"I neither ask nor expect belief for what must seem like the ravings of a lunatic; but if my account has swayed you in any manner, I ask that you go to Angelique, secretly, and ask her to come to me. We have been both lovers and the deadliest of enemies, she and I; but perhaps now we must become allies against almost unimaginable evil."

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I do believe you," says Victoria. "I've seen more than enough strange things to know that things that may seem impossible are actually true. I'll try to get the message to Angelique for you. Working together, we may be able to defeat them. They were driven into exile before, so it can be done again. Perhaps Professor Stokes may be able to help us find out how it was done in the first place, and maybe even how to prevent them from returning again."

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A meeting with Professor Stokes yields little more information than the fact that the Leviathans are obscurely mentioned in various rare and nearly incomprehensible texts, privately printed and bound in extremely small numbers.

"I flatter myself that I possess one of the three or four most extensive libraries of the arcane in New England," he explains, "yet I must confess that I have never seen these strange and blasphemous works myself. What little word of them has reached me causes me to suspect that whomsoever thwarts the will of the Leviathan cult is in very great danger."

Professor Stokes proves to be something of a prophet, for, several days later, when a message from Victoria reaches Angelique via the easily bribable Portuguese sailor, and she is able to leave the island for the mainland on some excuse or other, a visit to the Old House reveals that the place is in a shambles, with none of its former occupants in residence, and the mysterious box not to be found.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should search the place," says Victoria. "Maybe there's some clue about where they've been taken. It may be the Leviathans' cave, but let's not go there unless we have no choice."

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Let's have Victoria, Maggie, and Angelique all search.3d20

Perhaps it is not very surprising that it is the mysterious Angelique Rumson, with whom Barnabas appears to have quite a bit of history -- and who, come to think of it, strongly resembles the vanished Cassandra Collins -- who discovers a vital clue. Behind what seems to be a bookshelf is a hidden room, accessed by pulling out a certain volume. Within is a dark, dusty recess. An area of the floor free from dust reveals that a large, rectangular object has been recently moved out of the room. More immediately arresting is the fact that Willie Loomis lies unconscious in a corner of the room, with two ragged wounds on his throat. The sight causes Angelique to react strangely, hissing and drawing near Willie, then turning away from him and rushing out of the room.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria rushes to Willie's side and tries to heal his injuries.

Using Cure Light Wounds.

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Willie is able to recover sufficiently to choke out a few words.

"Barnabas . . . attacked me . . . took the doc with him . . . and the box . . ."

Still facing away from Willie and Victoria, Angelique says "The Leviathans have him under their control. They have revived the curse! Mine, as well as his! I retain enough of my power to resist for a while, but the thirst already burns inside me, and I will not be able to control myself much longer. Take that man away from me! The sight of him tempts me too strongly."

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria leads Willie away from Angelique. "Do you know where he might have taken her?" she asks.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Angelique shakes her head. "With Barnabas under their control, the Leviathans will send him wherever they wish. Oh, if only I knew more of their plans! I only know that they made Sky rich and powerful, and he did their bidding. And to think I gave up almost all of my powers to marry him! I thought it was love that held back the curse, but it was the Leviathans, tricking me into helping him. Now they no longer need me, and it will come back!"

Taking a deep breath, Angelique continues. "Barnabas will need a safe place to rest during the day. Soon I will also. When night falls, he will be very dangerous -- as will I."

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Then we'll have to find a place for you to stay," says Victoria. "What about the lighthouse? It's been used before for that purpose. During the day, we'll need to track down Barnabas and figure out where he's staying, with some help from the professor. Maggie might be able to break his curse, but I'm not sure who can break yours. You've probably been...cursed for too long for sunlight to cure you before it destroys you, which only leaves finding your true love as a means to free you from it. If we could recover Dr. Hoffman, she might be able to suppress the curse, as she did for Barnabas, but it would still be there."

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Angelique quickly agrees. "It was Nicholas Blair who did this to me, when I wouldn't go along with his plan to use Adam and Eve to create a new race to replace humanity. Now that he is dead, no one can remove the curse through witchcraft." She laughs bitterly. "Of all people, I should know that! But Eve is dead as well . . ." She trembles. "I'm raving. The sickness is growing inside me. Quickly, to the lighthouse! You must lock me in securely. Oh, can Barnabas ever forgive me? I still love him . . ."

Angelique continues to display overwhelming emotions as the two women make their way to the lighthouse. With the help of some tools, Victoria is able to secure the locked room at the top of the tower just as the sun touches the horizon. Angelique shouts as night falls.

"Let me out! I will kill you if you don't let me out now!"

She screams like a trapped animal.

d20

Hurrying away from this awful scene, Victoria tries to get some rest. Returning the next morning, she finds that the door to the locked room has been smashed open, with no sign of Angelique.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to talk to Professor Stokes," says Victoria. "We're in over our heads. We know that Angelique loves Barnabas. Maybe if we can get the two of them together, we can break both their curses."

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
An arrangement is made to meet with Professor Stokes, with that learned fellow warning both women that it must be during the daytime.

"Surely you've heard of the attacks being made upon both men and women in Collinsport," he warns them. "It's simply not safe to venture out at night. Savagely wounded, as if by a wild animal, and so traumatized that they have no memory of their attacker.

"But enough of such matters. To what do I owe the honor of this meeting?"

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think what we want to talk to you about is related to that," says Victoria, and she explains to him about Barnabas, Angelique, and the Leviathians. "Barnabas and Angelique are under the influence of the Leviathans, and Barnabas has taken Dr. Hoffman and the box. We have to track him down and break the curse on him so he's no longer under their control."

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Professor Stokes frowns. "A dreadful set of circumstances indeed. From little I know of the Leviathans -- much of their lore is lost in the mists of history -- Barnabas is now their puppet, doing their bidding. Locked together in this sinister alliance, each will take care to guard the other against all threats. Doctor Hoffman is no doubt a prisoner as well.

"Angelique is another matter entirely. Punished by the Leviathans for exposing them, she will do everything she can to oppose them. There is, of course, the complicating fact that she will be incapacitated during the daytime, and driven mad with bloodlust at night.

"If only we knew what the Leviathans were plotting, and were bold enough to track them to their lair . . ."

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maggie and I have been there before," says Victoria. "It's a sea cave. Sky took us there as part of his deal with them, and they tried to make us deliver a box to Megan and Philip Todd, who own an antique shop in town. Dr. Hoffman X-Rayed the box for us, and it contained something alive. I didn't see it myself, but I likened it to an egg. I suppose the antique shop and the Todds are a lead, but going there may alert the Leviathans. They said they'd be watching. Barnabas has the box now, but he can't take it there. It has to be someone pure, they said."

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see. Then Barnabas, under the control of the Leviathans, will have to find someone, other than yourself, free from any taint of malice. Ironic, given their own nature.

"I understand that Miss Stoddard has taken a position working for the Todds. A charming creature, but I doubt she is so completely pure of heart as to qualify as the bearer of the box. Perhaps some discreet inquiry as to happenings at the antique store could offer a few clues."

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's an excellent idea," says Victoria. "I'll go have a talk with her."

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once Victoria manages to raise the subject of the antique shop with Carolyn, the young woman becomes enthusiastic.

"It's a fab place. All kinds of weird old things scattered around. Oh, and the Todds are taking care of a little boy, Jimmy, for Megan's cousin, or something like that. Quiet kid, not like David the Holy Terror. Stays in his room most of the time, making noise playing some kind of game. You know how boys are. You should pay a visit some time, I'll show you around."

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sure, thanks," says Victoria. "I'd like that. What do you know about the Todds?"

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Well, they're new in town, of course. I don't know where they got all those groovy things in their shop; New York or Boston, I suppose. Philip's nice enough, though not very exciting, if you know what I mean. Megan wears the pants in that family, I'm sure. Gorgeous, too. Red hair, very tall." (Carolyn, who is quite petite, may be a bit envious.) "They live above the shop, so they don't seem to get out much."

During this conversation, word arrives at Collinwood that the police are asking people not to go out at night alone, as there have been attacks on both men and women by unknown assailants, leaving the victims badly wounded.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's good advice," says Victoria. "We shouldn't go out at night if we can help it, and certainly not alone. Maybe I can help the victims, and they may be able to say more about what happened to them."

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Carolyn shivers a bit. "I wouldn't want to be play nurse. Blood creeps me out. Maybe you could visit some of the folks at the clinic and help them out. You seem to have a healing touch."

At the clinic, there are a few young men and women, all attractive and otherwise healthy, who are recovering from loss of blood from neck wounds. When first addressed, they seem to have only vague memories of what happened to them.

"I wish Doctor Hoffman were in town," says a busy intern. "She knows about this kind of thing. But nobody's seen her around lately." He accepts Victoria's help with basic care, happy to have a volunteer at his side. Her ministrations do, indeed seem to have a healing effect.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

Victoria treats the patients to the best of her abilities, asking them if they remember anything about where they were or what happened to them.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
let's see how many, first of all2d4Of the 7, how many resist the amnesia imposed on them, with a WIS = 9 roll.7d20Just two.

Of the three men and four women attacked in this mysterious way, one of each sex is able to recall more of what happened. The young man remembers a very beautiful woman, with blonde hair and large, pale blue eyes.

"We met on the dock one night and we were, you know, getting close," he admits, with a slight blush. "I think she bit me. That's a little too weird for me. I guess she didn't mean any harm, and I guess I must have passed out. Too many beers, I suppose. I woke up, alone in an alley."

"It wasn't like that at all," the young woman says. "I was just walking home from the movies, taking a shortcut between some of the tourist homes, when somebody grabbed me and choked me until I fainted. He was tall and thin, but really strong. I guess I should be thankful he only hurt me and didn't kill me."

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Victoria is sure that the two vampires are Angelique, who targets the men, and Barnabas, who targets the women. "I hope you all feel better," she tells the patients. "The police are telling everyone not to go anywhere alone at night. I think that's an excellent idea."

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After returning from the clinic and enjoying some well-deserved rest, Victoria learns that there's been a change at the antique shop where the Todds live.

"Jimmy isn't around anymore," Carolyn says. "I guess he went back to his family. But now Philip and Megan are taking care of a much older boy, Jerry, who looks a lot like Jimmy. Acts the same way, too. Makes that same weird noise up in his room. Some kind of thumping and heavy breathing, like he's playing basketball up there or something. Oh, well, boys will be boys."

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they're brothers," says Victoria. Or maybe they're the same person and he grows impossibly fast, she thinks. "I suppose he's old enough to be interested in girls." She has to wonder if maybe someone else delivered the box, and the "egg" inside produced the boy.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Carolyn smiles.

"Well! It's about time you showed some interest in the opposite sex. I'm afraid Jimmy is a little too young for you; maybe thirteen or fourteen. But I'm sure he'd be thrilled to have a pretty girl like you talk to him. At the risk of sounding conceited, I've seen him watching me, when he thinks I'm not looking. Why don't you drop by some time? I'll introduce you."

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, that would be cool," says Victoria, though she'll want to consult with Professor Stokes first.