Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can ride a horse, if you have any spare ones," says Reverend Trask, who is relieved that people in this time still ride horses, given the ubiquity of automobiles powered by - what had Victoria told him they were called? Infernal combustion engines? Yes, that sounded like a fitting name.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Let me give you a map of the bridal trails," the receptionist says.

The paper indicates that once the trailhead is passed, the trials divide three ways.

"They could have gone on any one of these paths. There are plenty of horses for hire, but it's starting to get dark. Riding can be risky at night. I'd have to have you sign a safety waiver if you want to look for them now."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That just means that you agree not to hold them responsible if you have an accident," explains Victoria to her friends. "I'll sign."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very well, so shall I," says Reverend Trask, who is used to living in a time when people were considered responsible for their own actions as a matter of course.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan signs as well.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Josette prays at the sight of herself in the mirror, asking God for the strength not to use the tarry substance again.

Remembering what she experienced in the dream, she goes in search of Amos, contriving a job she "need" from him. While they are alone, she says, "Since you came to work here, I have not treated you as I should have. You are fine man, both strong and gentle, and I feel safe and protected whenever you are near. I should have told you this weeks ago."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As stated, the bridal trail breaks into three different paths after a short ride away from the lodge. To the left, the trail descends to follow a dry riverbed (an arroyo, in these parts) for a way. Straight ahead, it leads to a flat area full of rocks and sand and desert flora, including tall saguaro cacti. To the right, it climbs gently to follow the edge of a ridge that eventually rises to become a considerable cliff, affording a view of the other areas as well as the lodge itself. With all trails being popular among the guests, there are hoofprints everywhere, so it is not immediately evident where Jeremiah and David might have gone.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
WIS roll to resist the power of the addictive substance.d20
Josette is able to resist the dark attractions of the tarry substance, and goes so far as to destroy the supply entirely. She is soon restored to her former youth, health, and beauty, and is no longer plagues by disturbing but somehow attractive visions of another existence.

Imagining his summons to be related only to some task requiring his strength and skill, Amos is seen to flush slightly at Josette's words.

"Dare I hope . . .No, there can be no place for us here." He takes her hand, with surprising gentleness. "If there were some new land, free from the strictures of place and position. Alas! Who would wish to suffer the indignities of settling the wilderness, afar from all the comforts and safety of civilization? It is not to be imagined."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"We could divide our course," suggests Nathan to Reverend Trask. "One of us take the arroyo, and the other ascend the cliff route with Miss Winters. The latter should be able to scan the desert, while the former would be able to examine places hidden from the cliff by the valley walls."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:17 am"Dare I hope . . .No, there can be no place for us here." He takes her hand, with surprising gentleness. "If there were some new land, free from the strictures of place and position. Alas! Who would wish to suffer the indignities of settling the wilderness, afar from all the comforts and safety of civilization? It is not to be imagined."
"Recently, I... had a fearful experience. Not quite a dream, but I was in a dark place, and alone. It was to you my thoughts turned for comfort and the hope of safety. With you, I believe I could brave any discomfort or danger."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Very well," says Reverend Trask. "Miss Winters, you should decide which of us shall accompany you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You should come with me, Mr. Forbes," says Victoria. "As a sailor, you'll be skilled at climbing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Amos turns away from Josette and speaks as if to himself, although his words are clearly meant to be overheard.

"I had thought to seek my fortune in the Northwest Territory. A new land, where a man could raise himself as high as two skilled hands and a strong back could allow. But it is a dangerous place, full of wild animals, trackless wilderness, and savage men of all races. The journey there alone costs many lives, to the ravages of disease, the violence of brigands, or simply to the losing of one's way and the torture of starvation. It is no fate for a refined lady."

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Following the arroyo, Reverend Trask feels a cold wind, and feels a few drops of rain strike his skin. Precipitation is rare in this land, it seems, but when it occurs, it is often sudden and heavy.
Spoiler:
dex rolld20
As a downpour fills the arroyo with swiftly rushing water, Trask is able to direct the horse to the side gracefully, avoiding the danger of his steed being swept into the flood. With great care, he is able to continue exploring the area without hazard, save for being wet.
Spoiler:
wis rolld20
The somewhat uncomfortable journey is not without its reward. Reverend Trask discovers a sheet of paper, carried this way by the water, upon which are written the words meet me at midnight near the giant cactus on the night of the full moon. (This would happen to be this evening, unless another month was meant.) The handwriting is most likely that of a lady.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Miss Winters and Mister Forbes ascend on their mounts, slowly but surely, until an unexpected heavy rain strikes.
Spoiler:
dex rolls2d20The dreaded 20! I'll presume Forbes has enough experience to get a bonus for riding, so 13 is enough
Frightened by a bolt of lightning that strikes closely, with a great roar of thunder that echoes through the valley below, Miss Winters' horse throws her to the ground and runs off madly up the slope.
Spoiler:
dex roll to escape injuryd20injury roll:d6
The falls twists her ankle badly. She is not able to walk without great effort. Forbes is able to lift her unto his own steed, so that the two may ride together.
Spoiler:
wis rolls2d20
Her senses unaffected, and perhaps even sharpened, by the pain of the injury, Miss Winters is able to detect a sheet of paper, blown here by the wind, which proves to be a crudely drawn map of the flat land below, with several large cacti indicated, one of which is marked with an X.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria shows the paper to Nathan. "Looks like this is our next stop," she says. She rubs her ankle, feeling somewhat better already.

Using Cure Light Wounds on myself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask takes the piece of paper and heads off in the direction that Nathan and Victoria went, hoping to catch up to them and keeping an eye out for a giant cactus.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is a simple matter to spot the particularly tall cactus -- a saguaro, to be exact -- reigning over its fellows. As the sun strikes the horizon, little else can be told from this distance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask shows the paper he found to Victoria and Nathan. "It seems that a rendezvous is planned here for midnight tonight," he says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria shows her own paper to Nathan. "Maybe Laura is planning to meet Jerry here," she says. "We'll have to hide and wait for midnight, watching the meeting place."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Though I find it strange that two seemingly so closely related clues should appear in each of our paths," says Nathan. "Almost as if it were we who were meant to be lured to this spot. I agree nevertheless - we shall gain no further insight from avoiding this rendezvous. But we should be on our guard. How fares your ankle, Miss Winters?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"My life in Collinsport has brought me to the brink of death more than once," says Josette. Danger is a constant companion to man."

"That may be true, but could you consent to lower your station to that of a common householder? To dwell in a cabin made from roughly hewn logs? To wear plain clothing made by your own hand rather than fine gowns? It is too much to expect."

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”