Miss Stockbridge

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of Collinsport, and witness the beginning of the many curses to befall the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Miss Stockbridge

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The return voyage to Collinsport is without major incident, save perhaps for a certain unspoken strain in the relationships amongst Barnabas Collins, Josette Dupres, and Amos Stewart, this triad being better thought of as a pair of intersecting dyads, not to the advantage of either. The necessarily limited space aboard the small vessel adds to the discomfort of all involved, whilst the presence of others requires that it remain wordless.

Nevertheless, the return of Sarah Collins to the bosom of her parents proves an anodyne against any resentment towards her brother. Whether he shall ever be fully accepted into the good graces of his kin remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, his youthful uncle Jeremiah, formerly so taken with Miss Winters, has overcome that passion, and has instead been keeping company with a certain Miss Stockbridge, newly arrived in the area. As a gesture of affection, he has caused a portrait of the lady to be made, which he displays with much pride.

It is impossible to miss the very strong resemblance between the woman in the portrait and Laura Collins of 1967.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Miss Stockbridge

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria studies the portrait, looking for any phoenix-like qualities to it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask greets Miss Stockbridge kindly and invites her to church services.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 am
Victoria studies the portrait, looking for any phoenix-like qualities to it.
The portrait is notable for being done in vivid colors, from Miss Stockbridge's orange gown, to her golden hair. She seems to be looking directly into the eyes of the viewer, with an intense stare.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Stockbridge is amenable to attending services, although there is some concern over the fact that she always wears gowns of intense color; gold and scarlet and orange, which are hardly fitting to such a setting. Despite this taste in costume, which draws much attention, she otherwise seems to be of a reserved nature, rarely speaking save when addressed directly, and displaying less sensibility than is common in persons of the female sex. She appears somewhat distracted during the service, spending much time gazing at the candles that fill the church with a warm glow. Nonetheless, Jeremiah Collins is much taken with her, despite the fact that she often seems unaware of her presence, as if she exists in a world of her own.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Image Image

Victoria approaches Reverend Trask after the service. "I'm concerned about Miss Stockbridge," she says. "There is something about her that strikes me as wrong, and she has an unhealthy fixation on fire."

"I share your concerns," he says. "She has done nothing specifically wrong as of yet that I have observed, but she bears further watching."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

On the voyage back to Collinsport, Josette seeks out Victoria to ask her advice.

"I have no doubt you have observed a certain tension between Barnabas and Mr Amos Stewart. Mr Stewart is the man who rescued me from the quicksand during the search for Daniel. Since then we have developed a friendship. I believe his spirit and his mind are fitted to a greater station than that in which he finds himself, though the Collinses, when Mrs Collins saw us together, were not altogether of that mind, and believe I should end the acquaintance. But I sense that his feeling for me stretches beyond friendship, and I fear that mine may do also. Do you think I should follow this path to where it leads?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Nathan appears somewhat pensive, as though a decision is weighing upon him.
He is wondering whether to try proposing to Millicent again, thinking that Daniel would not cut her off just to spite him - however he is not sure he has sufficiently won back her affections. But the more adventurous side of his character is pondering a different course - whether Reverend Trask might welcome a more permanent partner, since dealing with supernatural phenomena is becoming a greater part of his life.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a decision only you can make," says Victoria to Josette. "It's not easy for me to give advice about love, for I have not yet found true love myself, though I long to find it. You know Mr. Stewart far better than I do, and you know yourself better than anyone else could. I do not know how you feel about Barnabas Collins, but I know that he truly loves you. Before you told me about Mr. Stewart, I would have thought you and Mr. Collins were fated to end up together, but fate seldom turns out the way you expect. I think you should follow your heart, wherever it leads you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A cautious observer may have taken notice of an intimate conference between the two young ladies, and wondered as to the matters discussed, but that is to be known only to the two of them.

Several days pass by, during which time Barnabas remains secluded within the Old House, visited only from time to time by Sarah, whenever the girl can escape her chores and lessons.

Grateful for the services rendered by Amos, Joshua undertakes to hire the fellow as a man-of-all-labor, to which he is more than agreeable. When not engaged in outdoor duties, he becomes a familiar figure about Collinwood. It is evident that Abigail does not approve of the situation, but, dependent on the good will of her brother, dares not speak out too boldly against it.

Nor does that lady show much enthusiasm for the way in which Jeremiah keeps company with Miss Stockbridge, speaking of her as vain and haughty. Joshua, on the other hand, offers no objection, possibly because Miss Stockbridge, judging by her accoutrements, is not without considerable means.

Therefore, he is not displeased when Jeremiah announces his intention to wed the said lady, nor does he even object when Jeremiah insists that all present at Collinwood, and even Barnabas, must be in attendance at the ceremony.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reverend Trask seeks out Abigail Collins. "Good lady, I share you opinion of Miss Stockbridge," he tells her. "I am concerned about the suddenness of this marriage, and about her character. I do not know what her motive is, though it is not likely to be money, for she has plenty of it herself. What are your observations of her?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria converses further with Josette while they prepare for the wedding, hoping she can help her make the right decision.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Reverend Trask seeks out Abigail Collins. "Good lady, I share you opinion of Miss Stockbridge," he tells her. "I am concerned about the suddenness of this marriage, and about her character. I do not know what her motive is, though it is not likely to be money, for she has plenty of it herself. What are your observations of her?"
"My dear Reverend sir, if a peahen were to wear the gaudy trappings of her mate, and then assume human form through witchery, surely it would be such a creature as Miss Stockbridge! The good Lord knows that these are shameless times, when women appear in the streets arrayed in brightly colored cloth, as if they imagine themselves to be rainbows! Yet Miss Stockbridge outdoes them all, constantly draped in gowns of gold and yellow and even wicked scarlet! As for her reasons for bewitching my poor little brother, I cannot say, for she hardly seems to pay him any mind at all, while he brings shame to the name of Collins by acting as her lapdog. He spends hours at her side, while she ignores him, staring blankly into the fire as if she were an utter lackwit. Alas, Jeremiah! It was unfortunate that my dear departed mother bore a child so late in life, when Joshua and I were already grown into maturity, and not present to guide him into the path of wisdom. But that is the will of Providence, and we must bear it. Vanity, all is vanity."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the necessary preparations are made for the upcoming nuptials, it becomes evident that Miss Stockbridge is either entirely without relations, or not in communication with them, as no such persons are to be present at the ceremony. In point of fact, she has asked the Countess to be her Matron of Honor, while requesting that Miss Winters and Mademoiselle Dupres serve as bridesmaids. Perhaps even more startling than this is the fact that she wishes to have Monsieur Dupres "give her away," as the saying goes, in place of father or other male relative.

"I am not at all sure of this, ma petite," the Countess says to Josette. "She is a strange lady, but I must confess -- ha ha! -- that she reminds me of myself in some ways. What do you think of her request?"

Monsieur Dupres is willing to perform the duty; more, it seems, out of boredom with life at Collinwood than anything else.

"I still hope to do the same for you," he says to Josette.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I believe that I am hardly one to stand in the way of the heart, not with my own recent feelings," says Josette. "But I respect the Reverend Trask's opinion, and he appears suspicious. Perhaps if we were involved with the wedding we could make our own observations and glean information that may help confirm or allay them."

Josette expresses her gratitude to Victoria for her many kindnesses. At some point, she writes a poem inspired by the sublime view of the sea from Widow's Point, and contrives to have Mr Stewart find it.

-----------------------

At some point, Nathan approaches the Reverend Trask and makes a perhaps surprising offer: "We have encountered no few unnatural phenomena in these parts, of late. We have each attempted in our own ways to oppose them - though to my shame in the case of the witch I succumbed. But if this is to become a regular aspect of your ministry, would it serve to have in your employ a man of action who has seen enough to believe in such things as readily as yourself?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Mr. Forbes, your assistance would be most welcome," says Reverend Trask. "It has already been very helpful in the fight against evil. Do not fault yourself too much for having been overpowered by witchcraft. Angelique was a powerful witch and few men could resist her spells, but even with her gone, the forces of wickedness will not be idle. My current concern is Miss Stockbridge, who seems to be obsessed with fire." He fills in Nathan about his suspicions about her and the observations of Abigail Collins.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Josette," says Victoria. "I'm pleased to be able to help. You are right that we can keep a closer eye on things if we are bridesmaids. I'm also suspicious of Miss Stockbridge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It might strike the observer, if there were to be any such, of Miss Stockbridge's discussions as to her upcoming nuptials, that she made no mention of the role, if any, she wished Miss Millicent Collins to play in the ceremony. After some time, the reason for this seeming lapse becomes evident. For, just as she has requested the services of young Sarah in the role of flower girl, so has she extended invitation to Master Daniel Collins to take on the part of ring bearer.

(It may be that many in Collinsport are not familiar with these positions of honor in a wedding ceremony. Miss Stockbridge assures those doubtful of such that they are common practice in the place from which she hails.)

Saving what she states is her most importance request for last, she desires that Miss Collins sing and play upon the pianoforte during the ceremony.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whilst in the act of composing the poem to be left for Mister Stewart -- and, perhaps, struggling a bit with the language, English being a harsh and unmusical tongue compared to French -- Josette Dupres experiences a curious sensation, or vision. One might ascribe this to the mood induced by the place, with the ocean crashing into the rocks far below, and the wind whispering in the trees like the voices of the widows who saw their men go off to sea and not return. For whatever reason, a chill runs down her spine, and she has the feeling that tragedy will strike here soon.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I am grateful for your faith, Reverend," says Nathan. "I confess it does my soul good to take part in active matters once more. As you and Miss Collins observe, she evidences little need of money - but perhaps seductions such as this the means by which she has come by her existing wealth, since she claims no family as its source."

Working with the Reverend is a good excuse to remain around the estate, as well as appearing heroic to Millicent.
Also, he does mean it - now Nathan has seen the supernatural up close, the Reverend's fight is unarguably a worthy one, and it feels good to be part of it. (Also it's more interesting if I'm interacting with Mr Handy's characters rather than my own).

-----------------------------------

Millicent is touched by the request from Miss Stockbridge, and will of course perform the requested duty.

-----------------------------------

Josette is troubled by her premonition, and relates it to her mother. (Because of where she was when it happened, her immediate instinct is to connect it to the sea in some fashion, unless her mother's cards suggest something else).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It could be," says Reverend Trask. "I cannot rule out witchcraft either. Jeremiah Collins has shown himself susceptible to it before. We should participate in the preparations and the ceremony as well, to keep an eye on the situation and prevent evil happenings. I shall preside over the ceremony, of course. When I lead the assembled people in prayer before the actual marriage occurs, I can try to overcome any evil influence. With the help of the faithful young ladies, it should be enough." He makes sure that Victoria, Josette, and Millicent are aware of this plan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1795 timeline)”