August 18 - 11.00 AM - the doctor´s office

Portland, Maine
August, 1928.
Steven Gilbert is a wealthy businessman, a leading exponent of the bourgeoisie of the roaring twenties. He sees his heritage project going up in smoke, when Timothy, his only six-year-old son, disappears.
A group of investigators will try to find his missing son. The group may include:

1) Police detectives
2) Private detective hired by Gilbert
3) Relatives or friends strongly motivated to find the missing kid

But Timothy´s disappearance is not the only gloomy burden weighing on the Gilbert family. Alyssa, Timothy's mother, committed suicide one year ago, and the reason for such an extreme action is still obscure.

Moderator: robertod

robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

August 18 - 11.00 AM - the doctor´s office

Post by robertod »

Amanda accompanies the investigators to a small clinic, not that much more than a doctor´s office. They are received by doctor Durant and his nurse, Miss sullivan.
Jacque Durant´s working place is a two-room office, comprehending a waiting room and an examination room. The examination room consists of an examination table and the doctor’s desk, which is cluttered with books, papers, and bottles. The room also displays the doctor´s library, microscope, diplomas, pictures of eminent professional friends and teachers, and other things that are associated with his medical studies and career.
There´s a whole skeleton in plain view, probably because it exhibits Durant´s knowledge and interest in anatomy. The impression that a patient must have upon entering here is trust. Trust about human domination over any possible form of physical discomfort.
The waiting room has a few chairs and a spittoon for the tobacco chewing.

Miss Sullivan is a sturdy and sullen woman, with the same rough manner as seafarers. She medicates the wounds and applies less improvised bandages.
OOC:   OOC: Michael recover 1 HP, Kathryn recovers 1 and Emma recovers 2.  
Jaque is a Canadian sturdy mid-age physician. His hair are silver and his face more wrinkled than one would expect at his age. He has the bright eyes of a careful observer, who seeks to find small details to satisfy his fussiness. He speaks with a strong French accent, he does not care to mask, as if it were an identity trait. He uses technical and analytical words even for conversations supposed to be informal.
He obviously iquire the group about what happened. It does not happen every day that strangers come to him in such a state to ask for medication.

When they are alone, the investigators are able to look closely at Martin Thompson's notes.

The notebook is pocket-size, with dog-eared pages and drawn hastily in the margins. Notes have been written in looping and convoluted handwriting. There are contains confusing notes. They are difficult to interpret at first read, but they look like procedures to be followed to do a kind of spell. Martin hiself has done a worjk of interpretation, prbably based on other sources. According to his references, the original text was written in runic language, but not specific ancient work is named explicitely.

One of the procedures talks about a seal, but no specification is provided. It activates something that is related to a sign. A warped, five-pointed star with a flaming eye in its center. The other spell is called Enchant pipe. The procedure requires a flute and a blood sacrifice not specified. The enchant is used to imbue power into a flute. Creates a set of pipes suitable in the casting of other spells. The instrument must steep in fresh, warm human blood for two hours.

One page has a drawing representing two globes of an unspecified fluid substance. A human hand that grabs them from below, while the liquid drips down. Under the drawing, Martin wrote.
Something related to the indescribable and unimaginable horror… Unknown and Untranslatable words.

One page of the notebook are not about spells. In one, Martin wrote
Tropical year, August 23 - September 22."

He also wrote a symbol: a letter "M" with a loop at its end. This is a Zodiac Sign, the Sign of Virgo.

Finally, a letter is interposed among the notebook pages.

It is dated few days before he left with the fishermen

May 5, 1927
Dear Martin,
I won´t tell you where I'm writing from, because I'm wandering like a refugee. My mind cannot help but think about Greyton and all things I've left behind. I´m writing to inform you of something important. Where I am now, I have access to books, they gave me a clearer view of certain things. Don´t venture in search of K’n-yeil. Don´t do that. The waters of the Bay of Fundy are cursed.
You were right. The source of everything lies over there. But, whatever tries to navigate close to K’n-yeil is inevitably destroyed by the sea forces. Don´t sacrifice your life unnecessarily, at least not right now.
Your,
Jason
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: August 18 - 11.00 AM - the doctor´s office

Post by jp1885 »

Ivy reads the notebook and letter with growing incredulity.

"What is this gibberish? Spells, seals, human blood?" She sighs. "If I hadn't just witnessed those sea-things, I'd dismiss this as the ravings of a madman. But now I'm not so sure..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not so sure I'm not crazy myself," says Kathryn, who had told the doctor that they'd been bitten by something that came in on the tidal wave that they hadn't seen clearly, maybe a shark. "If the rest of you hadn't seen the same things, I'd probably think I am. The sign of Virgo, that's just astrology. I don't know that much about it, but I guess August 23 to September 22 falls under that sign, the sign of the virgin. That starts in just a handful of days. I've no idea what all this stuff means."
OOC,Occult roll (10% base skill) about the astrology reference: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
robertod
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by robertod »

Kathryn,Kathryn remembers that Virgo is a sign related to life generation, even in the context of occultism. She remembers having read something about women as seen as source of life generation.
Being Greyton is a small provincial town, it has never had a proper library, on the initiative of local culture. When asked, people inform the group about the Warren library. It is a small place for reading and consulting books, made possible by the donation of Andrew Warren a wealthy man that became a school teacher in Greyton.
He died five years ago, and spent his last years in his parents’ house in Greyton. During his lifetime, he bought and accumulated a great deal of volumes. Being only son and without heirs, his last wish was to turn the house into a small public library. In this project, he found full support and support from the teachers and school teachers.
Thus, Greyton has now a small library, being run by volunteers. It is open for consultation from Monday to Friday, from 2 to 6 pm.
We were also planning to go to the docks weren't we? However I think we've had enough of the sea for a while. Perhaps I should head to the local library and see what I can find there.
OOC:   The other going with Ivy to the library, or someone splits and heads to the docks?  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Good idea about the Occult roll Mr. H. I'll try myself :D  

Before she leaves for the library, Ivy reads through the notes again, just in case anything catches her eye. However, unsurprisingly, she doesn't recognise anything.
Occult 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"One thing I do know about Virgo," says Kathryn, "it has to do with the generation of life. Particularly, women are seen as the source of it."
OOC,Thanks!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Turstrigo
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Turstrigo »

OOC:   If we are splitting up, then Emma will go to the library.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Kathryn[/b] will go to the library too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Ah, this astrology stuff is just a lot of mumbo-jumbo," Michael tells the others. He hopes he sounds convincing enough, because he's badly shaken by what happened. "I'll go check out the dock. I could use the fresh air, anyway," he adds, still aching from his wounds.

Return to “The Sign of Virgo”