Page 1 of 1

Track 9: Born to Be Wild

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In one form or another, through various secure channels, the investigators receive a brief, coded message.

TROUBLE HERE PLEASE HELP LOTA

Unfortunately, the communication stops at this point, without disclosing the nature of the problem, or even the location of the island.

Re: Track 9: Born to Be Wild

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 pm
by jp1885

“Hmm, anyone up for an island jaunt?” Tony asks. “I’ll make a few calls and try to find out the location.”

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara is glad to have washed the dye out of her hair, and be back in her own clothes. She has spent most of the quiet period alternately painting and drinking at the Sospiri.

"The wolf guys were ok," she says to Tony's question. "I wanna make sure they're ok."

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I'm up for it," says Liz. "It will be interesting to see how everyone's getting on, and I'd like to help if I can."

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tony's conversations with various hush-hush organizations reveals only that the submarine was headed in a southwesterly direction from San Francisco. (There's hardly any other direction it could go, after all.) Before radar contact was lost -- some kind of jamming device might have been activated when the vessel was in the open sea -- it was somewhere south of Hawaii, probably heading for some uncharted island in the area. (The boys and girls in the white coats used a room full of computers to calculate roughly how far the submarine could travel without refueling.) It will take some further research to figure out exactly where the place is located. There's also the question of transportation and supplies; it's a long way from the City By the Bay to this unknown Tropical Paradise.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:45 am
by SunlessNick

"Do we still have the zeppelin?"

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need to find out what happened to it," says Liz. "Last I checked, it was moored on Alcatraz. Perhaps the Navy have taken custody of it and will let us use it. We'll have to ask them. There could be logs and charts aboard that would tell us where the island is specifically. We can also try good old Radio Direction Finding. If we sail or fly around the area and take readings from multiple locations, I can triangulate and locate it. There is that jamming device, but if we keep our distance it won't affect our readings, and I might be able to counter it."

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am
by jp1885

“Failing that, we could pack our bags for Hawaii and see what we can discover nearer the spot,” Tony suggests. “I’m sure I could spring for a couple of airline tickets.”

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It takes several days for all the government red tape to clear, but eventually the investigators are designated as a special non-governmental operative team , due their recent strange experiences. (There's some haggling between the Impossible Missions Force and the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement over whose auspices the team will be working under. Due to the international nature of the members of the team, the latter wins out.)

The team is given instructions on how to operate the zeppelin, which turns out to be fairly simple to operate, given several automated controls. It is luxuriously appointed for a small number of passengers. Despite its small size, it's not a whole lot faster that the giant ones of yesterday. It takes a couple of weeks to reach the island, whose location is listed in the vessel's log.

Hovering over the island, all seems quiet below. Like many islands in this part of the world, it consists of a volcano, currently dormant, as far as one can tell. The caldera of the volcano is now a solid plain of hardened lava, and the only obvious place one could land the zeppelin; the rest of the island is covered with foliage.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we'll have to set down on the caldera," says Liz. "We'll need to use climbing gear to get down to the jungle and back." She has dressed for the tropics, knowing that it would be warm here, wearing a leopard print minidress, with a bikini underneath in case swimming will be necessary.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara spends the approach seeing and memorising every landmark she can. (This is probably the only chance she'll get to dress like a jungle girl, so she'll follow Liz's lead, but tiger-striped rather than leopard print).

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 pm
by jp1885

Tony spends more time admiring the girls’ outfits than the view, but still finds a little time to coordinate his light blue safari suit with a khaki slouch hat (brim turned up on one side) and a paisley cravat.

“Indeed, time for a rumble in the jungle, what?” he declares, swishing a machete rakishly.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:46 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon landing, it can be seen that the caldera is not completely dormant, although solid enough to permit walking on a firm surface of volcanic stone. Here and there steam emerges from a fumarole. Nothing grows on this comparatively recently formed land. The only clue of life is the sight of a few seabirds flying overhead. On all sides, the walls of the caldera rise high above the heads of the investigators.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"Which way, do you think?" Zara says. "I didn't see anything artificial."

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:16 pm
by jp1885

“Hmm,” Tony squints up at the basalt walls around them. “I suppose we should find a way over or through these walls. We should have a good view of the island if we can see out. There’s bound to be smoke or other such signs of life.”

With that said, he marches off to poke around the walls.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like the only way is up," says Liz, following. She has a machete too, though it remains in a sheath on her belt. She also wears a pith helmet.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX rolls Liz = 12, Zara = 13, Tony = 14[dice]0[/dice]
The frequent light, warm rains that occur here have made the walls of the caldera somewhat slippery. Liz, in particular, finds herself at a spot where the slick rock is impossible to climb, although she nearly makes it. Zara scrambles up like a pro, while Tony makes it to the top of the wall efficiently, if not with quite so much ease.
Spoiler:
Zara INT and WIs both 11, +1 Perception = 12[dice]1[/dice]
From her current position, Zara can easily see that a small lake lies to the north, surrounded by banana, coconut, and breadfruit trees. With her keen eye for details, she can tell that the lake is fed by a large number of rivulets running down the sides of the volcano, obviously fed by rainwater, so that it must contain fresh water (and is not, say, just a lagoon.)
Spoiler:
Tony WIS is highest = 11 + 3 sharp eyes = 14[dice]2[/dice]
Equally perceptive, Tony is able to detect a cultivated field to the west, which appears to be designed to grow root crops such as taro and cassava.

There are, as of yet, no signs of the inhabitants of this island in either of these two directions.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am
by jp1885

Assuming Tony's reserves of wealth have provided them with the latest climbing gear, the detective plays down a rope so that Liz can climb up to join him and Zara.

"I see a cultivated field to the west, but no active signs of life," he declares.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Cheers," says Liz when Tony lowers the rope to help her climb up and join him. "It's good that we've located a source of fresh water for when we need to refill our canteens, as well as food, but I think we need to check out that cultivated field first. That's a sure sign of civilisation."

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:40 pm
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote:Assuming Tony's reserves of wealth have provided them with the latest climbing gear, the detective plays down a rope so that Zara can climb up to join him and Liz.
Hey! :(
jp1885 wrote:"I see a cultivated field to the west, but no active signs of life," he declares.

"And fresh water there," Zara adds. "They must live near one or the other."
OOC:   Does the Island of Doctor Moreau exist as a novel in this setting?  

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Ah nuts, got the girls mixed up! Post above duly amended.  

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:36 am
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote:
OOC:   Ah nuts, got the girls mixed up! Post above duly amended.  
OOC:   Neither of them would be pleased to hear that!  

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
You may assume that the novel is a highly fictionalized account of certain experiments performed by an ancestor of the current doctor.
Spoiler:
Now we climb down the side of the volcano. DEX rolls Liz 12, Zara 13, Tony 14[dice]0[/dice]
With some experience in volcano climbing under their belts, all three investigators make it down to the cultivated field safely.

There is nobody in sight, although there are many footprints everywhere in the soft ground, some barefoot, some showing signs of boots. There are a few very crude wooden tools left lying on the ground; pretty much just pointed sticks used for digging.
Spoiler:
WIS rolls. Liz 10, Zara 11 + 1 Perception = 12, Tony 11[dice]1[/dice]
There does not seem to be anything else interesting in the area.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:23 pm
by jp1885

Squatting down on his haunches, Tony inspects the ground, tools and footprints. Are there signs of a struggle, are the tools broken or bloodstained, which direction do the prints seem to head?

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:33 pm
by SunlessNick

"When they talked about the 'law,' they always said 'Are we not men,'" Zara muses. "There have to be houses around somewhere. That doctor would want them to live like people."

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"The boots are a good sign of someone trying to be human," says Liz. "Or perhaps strangers came to the island. Either way, we should follow the tracks made with boots."

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Squatting down on his haunches, Tony inspects the ground, tools and footprints. Are there signs of a struggle, are the tools broken or bloodstained, which direction do the prints seem to head?
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The tools seem to have been just dropped on the ground. They are not broken and bear no stains other than ordinary soil. The tracks are a little confused, covering each other in places, but there is no proof one way or the other as to whether there was a fight here.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"The boots are a good sign of someone trying to be human," says Liz. "Or perhaps strangers came to the island. Either way, we should follow the tracks made with boots."
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Both sets of footprints, bare and shod, appear to head toward the south, beyond the place where they are mixed up together. Looking in that direction, one can see that they follow a rough trail located at the foot of the volcano, and soon disappear as the tilled soil yields to rock and heavy foliage.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: "When they talked about the 'law,' they always said 'Are we not men,'" Zara muses. "There have to be houses around somewhere. That doctor would want them to live like people."
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Noticing something shining in the tropical sunlight, Zara picks up a brass ammunition casing.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:42 pm
by SunlessNick

"This doesn't look good," Zara says, showing the casing to the others. "He wouldn't have given them weapons. Someone else is here. Those guys who left with them, maybe?"

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 pm
by jp1885

"They certainly seemed a rough lot. I guess our only action is to press on, what?" Tony suggests.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Liz. "Perhaps they fancy themselves hunters. Lota did say there was trouble."

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Following the trail around the volcano, which is something of a rough climb up and down, the path frequently overgrown and requiring use of the machetes, the investigators eventually spot, at some distance below, a small cove. This would not be of any particular notice, were it not for the presence of a motorized boat; or rather small yacht, which could easily accommodate half a dozen passengers or more. Numerous coconut palms growing on the edge of the cove hang over the vessel, swaying in a light tropical breeze. (These trees explain why the boat was not spotted from the airship; and, most likely, why whoever is on the boat did not notice the nearly silent zeppelin approach and land.)

On the foredeck, a man holding a rifle sits in a folding aluminum chair. He is shirtless and barefoot, wearing only a pair of faded blue jeans. It is obvious, even from here, that he hasn't shaved for some days. He holds a rifle loosely in one hand. In the other is a beer bottle, from which he sips now and then. There are a few other such bottles scattered about the deck. He glances around between sips, sometimes mumbling or humming or whistling, without much musical skill.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:56 pm
by SunlessNick

"Maybe we should have worn pants after all," Zara admits partway through the clambering.

Does the guy on the boat look hairy like the wolf-men, or just a grody but regular guy?

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 pm
by jp1885

"And hide away those delightful legs of yours?" chides Tony, a man, alas, of his time. "I wonder if the occupants of the boat chanced upon this island or came looking? We won't know until we ask I suppose. Let us go down and have a word with the fellow, hm?"

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"To us Brits, pants mean knickers," says Liz, "and I am wearing those. What you call pants, we call trousers. All right, let's go talk to the chap, but we'll have to be careful. He doesn't have that rifle for nothing."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The investigators decide to confront the fellow directly. Up close, it's obvious that he's just an ordinary human being, albeit not the best specimen thereof. He jumps up out of the chair, dropping the beer bottle and grabbing the rifle with both hands, aiming it in the general direction of the intruders.

"Hold it right there! Hands up!" Turning his head just slightly, he shouts "Hey, boss! We got visitors!"

Emerging from below decks is a tall, handsome, dark-haired man, deeply tanned, in a blazing white three-piece suit. Accompanying him are two muscular men carrying pistols.

"There is no need to be alarmed, Bruno," he says. "Surely our guests intend no mischief. Come aboard, please. If you will just entrust those deadly looking blades, and any other dangerous objects you may be carrying, with my bodyguards. We don't want you to hurt yourselves, after all.

"I am Ramon Delgado. Welcome aboard La Reina del Pacifico. I would be very interested to hear how you came to this island, so far from civilization. It is not a place one would expect tourists."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:10 am
by jp1885

Tony grins a friendly greeting as he hands over his machete. He leans somewhat on his stick, as if it is merely an aid to his walking.

“Oh we’re not tourists, we’re being picked up in a day or two,” he says. “I’m a private detective and these young ladies are my assistants. I’m afraid I dragged them out here in search of a missing person, whom my client is most anxious to locate. I don’t suppose you’ve seen a rather portly scientist around here perchance?”

While he’s babbling, he tries to recall if he knows the name Ramon Delgado.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Portly scientist? What an amusing idea," replies Delgado. "I fancy myself something of an amateur chiropterologist, but I don't think I am the person you seek. I flatter myself," he adds with a chuckle, "that I do not fit the description of 'portly'.

"Come below decks, and let's talk about it."
Spoiler:
INT = 7[dice]0[/dice] As far as you can recall, you have never heard of this man before.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara searches her memory for the name as well. Meanwhile she says, "If it's not a place for tourists, what brings you here?"

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz hands over her machete too. She still has her mace in case these guys try anything. "He's also much shorter than you," she says. "I'm a scientist as well, though quite the opposite of portly."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara searches her memory for the name as well. Meanwhile she says, "If it's not a place for tourists, what brings you here?"
Spoiler:
INT 11; Perception not really relevant here[dice]0[/dice]This fellow's name doesn't ring any bells.
With a smile, Ramon replies "Nothing very romantic, I'm afraid. But quite profitable. Bat droppings, to be exact. Guano. Nasty stuff, but quite valuable as a source of fertilizer. On the south side of the island, if you haven't been there already, there's quite a large bat cave, formed many years ago when part of the volcano collapsed; or so the volcanologists tell me. Thousands of bats, all feeding on insects and fruits and messily producing their treasure. Not a pleasant place; I suggest you stay well away from it, for the sake of your good health."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Liz hands over her machete too. She still has her mace in case these guys try anything. "He's also much shorter than you," she says. "I'm a scientist as well, though quite the opposite of portly."
"Indeed! And what makes you think this fellow might have wound up here, of all places? Oh, and where did you say you were dropped off? I am not aware of any decent harbor on the island other than the cove in which we are now moored."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:03 pm
by jp1885

"Oh, my employer is a man of many resources," says Tony vaguely. "He has intelligence that the chap has set up some kind of laboratory here."

He smiles disarmingly, limping backwards a little.

"Well this has been pleasant, but I fear we are keeping you from your guano and we really must press on with our search. I bid you good day gentlemen."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:40 pm
by SunlessNick

"Yeah, you can trust us not to go wading in your bat poop," Zara says (trying for a companionable rather than sarcastic tone).

[If this is the only good harbour, like he says, is there any sign of the submarine?]

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," says Liz. "Have you met any natives?"

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Yeah, you can trust us not to go wading in your bat poop," Zara says (trying for a companionable rather than sarcastic tone).

[If this is the only good harbour, like he says, is there any sign of the submarine?]
During the approach of the zeppelin to the island, there was no sign of the submarine, nor of a large enough cove for it to be secured.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "Quite," says Liz. "Have you met any natives?"
"Why, this island is uninhabited, of course."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Oh, my employer is a man of many resources," says Tony vaguely. "He has intelligence that the chap has set up some kind of laboratory here."

He smiles disarmingly, limping backwards a little.

"Well this has been pleasant, but I fear we are keeping you from your guano and we really must press on with our search. I bid you good day gentlemen."
"As you wish. I believe you are wasting your time, and I suggest that you contact your employer and leave here as quickly as possible. The jungle is full of dangerous wildlife, you know.

"Bruno! Keep a close watch, and make sure that our guests depart safely."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:22 pm
by SunlessNick

As soon as they're far enough away not to be overheard, Zara quietly says, "Translation: keep an eye on us and make sure we don't try anything. So is he just taking the mickey, or does he really expect us to believe he's on the level?"

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:44 pm
by jp1885

“Quite so my dear. Both parties are lying and the other knows it full well. At least we avoided boarding the yacht - I’ve a suspicion they wouldn’t let us leave,” Tony muses.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:43 pm
by SunlessNick

"Hopefully he doesn't have enough people to go looking for the zeppelin right now. Is anyone else thinking 'Most Dangerous Game' about this?"

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz retrieves her machete as she leaves. "Quite," she says again, "and I don't fancy playing Fay Wray's part."

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
For a while, as the investigators travel away from the yacht, they are aware that Bruno, sporting a pair of binoculars, is following them at a moderate distance. Eventually tiring of this assignment, he wanders back to his original post.

As there does not appear to be any direct threat from Delgado and his men at this time, the investigators have several choices as to how to proceed. They might wait for nightfall, and try to sneak back to Delgado's location unobserved; they might continue forward, to check out the alleged bat cave; they might head back the way they came, and move on to the freshwater lake; or they might try to reach the as yet unknown east side of the island, either by following the base of the volcano (clockwise or anticlockwise) or by climbing back into the caldera and then down again, a shorter but more difficult route.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:13 pm
by jp1885

Stroking his muttonchops, Tony considers the various options.

“I suppose if I lived on this island, I’d want to be somewhere near the lake. It seems to be the best source of fresh water. Shall we explore their first?”

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 am
by SunlessNick

"Yeah," Zara agrees. "If that cave's even real, he wouldn't tell us about it if there was anything there. And I wasn't lying about not wanting wade in guano."

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Liz. "The lake it is, then."

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The path back to the lake carries the investigators past the watchful eye of Bruno. He does not greet them as they go by, merely observes.

Once past the low-lying crop fields, an easy, gentle slope leads slightly upward to the lake, allowing the crudely dug irrigation canals to flow with gravity. The water is very clear, allowing one to observe a large number of fish of all shapes and sizes within it. There are also colorful birds flying from tree to tree as well as turtles and lizards crawling about. A lazy trickle of water drains the lake into the nearby sea, where the outflow runs through a sandy beach between high rock cliffs. Seen from a distance, there seems to be some sort of debris just off shore, moving in time with the waves.

Drawing closer, the investigators observe a small bamboo shack, barely large enough for one person to enter, hidden among tall plants. It seems to have been built simply by sticking bamboo poles side by side, then cutting a low opening on one side, through which one would have to crawl to get in.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:55 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara's the smallest, so she volunteers to take a look inside. ("But cover his eyes while I'm at it, Liz.")

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 pm
by jp1885

Aghast that Zara would even think he would consider such a dastardly deed, Tony pointedly looks away. Nonetheless, he remains ready to leap into action should she get into distress.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:42 pm
by SunlessNick

Seeing Tony's reaction, Zara sheepishly says, "Sorry, I guess that sounded funnier in my head." She gets down and investigates the opening.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm
by jp1885
Tony winks in reply, chuckling to himself.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz smiles, keeping her eyes and ears open in case of trouble.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The structure proves to have a wetsuit and scuba gear inside. There are a couple of discarded, empty air tanks, and one full one (judging by the weight.)

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:15 pm
by jp1885

”Perhaps there’s something of interest under the lake. I could take a look if the suit fits; I’m no expert but I once spent a very enjoyable week scuba diving in the Aegean with an Italian countess.” Tony reminisces.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We can bring the gear with us," says Liz. "Once we get a look at the lake for ourselves, we'll have a better idea of what might be submerged within it."

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:09 am
by SunlessNick

"I wonder whose it is. The doctor didn't seem like the type to go diving," Zara adds.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Closer examination of the suit indicates that it was made to fit someone on the tall, slender side. In a pinch, any one of the investigators could fit into it.

Taking a closer look at the lake, they can see that it contains a large number of fish of various sizes and forms, some brightly colored like living jewels, other drab. Given the very clear water, one can tell that the base of the lake slopes down very steeply from the shore. In fact, beyond a meter or so, it is so deep that the bottom is not evident.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:37 pm
by jp1885

Tony peers into the sloping depths of the lake.

"So, what d'you think ladies? Shall I take a dip?"

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:10 am
by SunlessNick

"Be careful though," Zara says. (Although she might be said to be a fine one to talk)

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I could do it," says Liz. "The wet suit looks like it's just my size. Of course, if you'd rather, I think it can still fit you."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whoever decides to put on the wet suit and take a dive into the lake,The deeper part of the lake is full of plant and animal life, from the tiniest of snails to giant fronds of freshwater weeds. Many of the smaller fish rush away once a human being enters their world, but some of the larger ones do not. In fact . . . [dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice] A particularly large fish, well over a meter in length, and weighing about forty kilograms or so, approaches you rapidly. It is silvery blue in color, has the typical long, torpedo-shaped body of a fast swimmer, and, unmistakably, several long, sharp teeth that fit into grooves along its jaws, making them visible even when its mouth is closed. Of course, its mouth is not always closed . . . It attacks aggressively, taking a good, solid bite out of your leg, even through the thick, tough material of the wetsuit. It's not a crippling wound, but blood is flowing into the water.
Whoever stays on shore,You see a dark cloud forming near the person in the lake.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:53 pm
by jp1885

“Oh, I insist,” says Tony, stripping down to his briefs.

Soon he is pulling on the scuba gear, giving his friends a thumbs up before slipping into the lake.

(Pauses to read the spoiler)
Vic,[b]Tony[/b] lashes out with his good leg.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:16 pm
by SunlessNick

"Liz, what's that?" Zara exclaims, pointing at the cloud. She waves her arms over the water, trying to attract Tony's attention and gesture for him to surface.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe it's a squid or an octopus," says Liz, racking her brain. "Or some other sort of cephalopod. Tony, get out of the water!" she shouts, though she knew he couldn't hear her down there. She also waved her arms wildly and gestured for him to come back.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Tony,DEX 14 but I'm going to be nasty and say -1 penalty for being underwater in the wetsuit = 13[dice]0[/dice]You got it anyway; damage[dice]1[/dice] For the record, I'm treating this fish as a crocodile without armor. Hit points = [dice]2[/dice] Your kick hurts the fish without killing it. Let's see if it gets frightened or attacks. It has a CHA of 5[dice]3[/dice] It quickly swims away, in search of easier prey. Meanwhile, the blood from your injury forms a dark cloud in the water around you.
Liz and Zara,You can now see that the dark cloud is blood coming from a wound that Tony has suffered, floating around him and distorted in color by the water.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:48 pm
by SunlessNick

"Oh my God!" Zara screams. She makes to dive into the water to try to pull Tony up to the surface.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:33 pm
by jp1885

Fearing that his blood will attract more predators, Tony kicks back up to the surface. Assuming he remains unmolested, he swims over to the shore and clambers painfully out of the lake.

“Just a little nip,” he says as he removes the scuba mask.

OOC: I’ll edit this post if it transpires that he doesn’t make it to shore.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz quickly strips off her dress now that she knows it's blood and not ink, intent on diving in and rescuing Tony. If he surfaces, he'll be rewarded with the sight of her in her bikini, which matches her dress and has a strapless top.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With a welcome assist from Liz, Tony is able to make his way back on land safely, if a little worse for wear. Through the dark cloud of blood can be seen the shadow of a very large fish, moving around in an agitated fashion.
Spoiler:
Multiple die rolls[dice]0[/dice]
Liz is able to recognize the fish currently rushing around in the water, excited by the scent of blood, as a bull shark, an ocean-going species which is, none the less, able to survive in fresh water, sometimes being found in rivers far from the sea.

From a rather sketchy description from Tony of the fish that attacked him, Liz, from her studies in ichthyology, is able to identify it as a giant tigerfish, an aggressive freshwater predator species found only in the Congo River basin.

Zara, with her enhanced memory, can confirm these identifications, having once flipped through a book on the world's most dangerous animals.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:11 pm
by jp1885

Once out of the lake, Tony slumps onto the ground and inspects his leg for damage.

Unable to help himself, he also inspects Liz.

“I do believe I’ve died and gone to heaven...” he murmurs.

When the conversation turns to matters of aquatic predators, he frowns.

“My assailant appears to be somewhat far from home. Another one of the good doctor’s experiments perhaps?”

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:30 am
by SunlessNick

"No more swimming then," Zara says. While Liz tends to Tony, she looks long and around the visible shoreline in case she can see a dock or some other artificial feature.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz stops the bleeding and binds Tony's wound. "Yes, he must have imported them," she says. "If there's no river leading from the lake to the sea, he'd have had to bring them overland to get them in the lake. You've only figuratively died and gone to heaven," she adds with a smile. "You're not hurt too bad, so you're not going to be doing it literally just yet, and a good thing too. We still need you here."

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 pm
by jp1885

“Music to my ears m’dear. Is it worth another dive in the lake, or shall we look elsewhere?”

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Elsewhere, I think," says Liz, putting her dress back on. "Let's not push our luck. We're not looking for anything specific in the lake, so the only reason to dive was curiosity, and I believe that has been satisfied."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A close look at the outlet to the sea draining the lake reveals that it is far too narrow to have allowed the entry of either of the two deadly fish, both of them quite large in size.

Examination of the shore, where the outlet reaches the ocean, yields the sight of several large pieces of timber, caught in rocks just below the surface of the water. Of more interest, perhaps, is the fact that a human skeleton lies among them.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 pm
by SunlessNick

"Any more dangerous fish in this bit?" Zara wonders aloud. If there don't seem to be, she's willing to swim out to look at the bones and wood a bit more closely.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should take a closer look," says Liz, "so we can find out who this person was and how he or she died."

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Drawing nearer, it can be seen that the skeleton is covered with barnacles, indicating that it's been there for some time. There are a few shreds of clothing still attached to it; bits of drab-colored shirt and pants, and, nearly undamaged, a pair of heavy black boots. One of the skeleton's bony hands is clutched around a shiny rectangular object, below the surface of the water. The cries of seabirds mix with the sound of waves splashing against the shore.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Fancy another dive?" asks Liz. "I'm curious to see what that object is."

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:20 pm
by jp1885

"I'll give it another shot," Tony volunteers. "Still got a good leg for the fish to gnaw on."

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:33 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The object is not so deep that it requires use of the diving suit, although Tony will have to wade out a bit and stick his hand fairly far into the water to grab it. A large albatross lands on a nearby timber and eyes Tony curiously.
Spoiler:
unexplained die roll0and another1
While grabbing the object, a giant crab seizes one of Tony's fingers and, sad to say, takes off the end of it with its sharp and powerful claw. Running back to the shore with a badly injured hand, he is able to throw the object, which happens to be a locked iron box of old-fashioned design, badly rusted, on the sand, while the two women help him stop the bleeding. He seems to have suffered quite a bit of blood loss.
Spoiler:
Ouch! Bad luck with the die rolls! Damage of 6, and Reduce DEX and CON by 1 until you get back to civilization to get some hand surgery performed and/or a blood transfusion
Once this crisis is under control, as best as it can be, investigation of the iron box reveals that there is no key evident anywhere around. It will be necessary to break it open somehow.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"Why did the wolf men ever want to come back here?" Zara asks as she helps dress Tony's hand. "I'm sorry, Tony."

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"So am I," says Liz, also helping. "Let's hope whatever's in that box was worth it. Some leverage should help us pry it open." She looks around for something to use as a prybar.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:53 pm
by jp1885

"Argh!"

"Someone up there clearly has it in for me,"
complains Tony as he cradles his injured hand.

"Perhaps we could bash the box in with a rock, although part of it would probably chip off, fly into my face and take out an eye," he mutters, somewhat bitterly.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Despite these predictions of doom, it proves possible to smash open the box with a stone. Inside is a small notebook, plain in design, olive drab in color, and a tiny nub of a pencil, worn down nearly to the eraser. The handwriting on the pages inside is faint, and difficult to decipher, having apparently been written in haste.

day 1 aug ? 44 boat wrecked found crate w supply thank god isle got water fish cocos can survive

day 2 lit fire no ships no planes way off course? could be here a while

There are several pages missing, then more entries.

day 50 ? 60 ? sick of fish and cocos getting skinny wonder if war over

day ? got away from them got to get off this isle keep this locked up somebody read it please too late if you see this get away help yourself

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:15 pm
by jp1885

“I suspect I’m not the first person to fall foul of this island,” mutters Tony as he reads the notes. “If we weren’t on our guard before we should be now... So my dears; where to next?”

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 pm
by SunlessNick

"More questions than answers," Zara says. "But if this guy was in the war... could the wolf men have been around as long as that?"
For a moment she contemplates suggesting they take the writer's advice thinking:   cut their losses and leave, but then her conscience gets the better of her.  

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we follow the shoreline around the island?" suggests Liz. "That way we'll find any more landing sites we've missed."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The trail continues in the direction of the east side of the island which, up to this time, has not yet been explored. It climbs up a bit, affording a view of a lush grove of coconut trees slightly below. Among these are scattered a number of rude structures, which can barely be called huts. These are centered around a central fire pit, in which a very small flame is burning. A couple of men in light clothing stand near the fire. They wear belts that hold pistols and small whips. Every once in a while one of the men shouts something, too far away to be understood, and an animal-like woman, dressed in rags, rushes out out of a hut, bearing food or drink. One of the men says something to the other that makes him laugh. The two walk lazily around the fire, stopping often to lean against a coconut tree and glance at their wristwatches.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:46 pm
by jp1885

Watching the proceedings, Tony's jaw tightens. The only animal woman he knows is Lota, but he doesn't think she would be ordered about so easily.

"Perhaps we should teach those two a lesson in manners," he whispers to his companions. "Let's get a little closer, hm?"

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 pm
by SunlessNick

"Yeah," Zara says. "Before whoever they're waiting for gets here."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Quite," Liz whispers back, slipping her mace into the palm of her hand.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let's see if you can sneak up undetected (DEX) Liz = 12, Zara = 13, Tony = 14 + 1 Sneak = 150
Approaching the camp, Liz and Zara are able to escape being detected by the two men, and sneak into one of the huts. Inside is the animal-woman they saw carrying food and drink to the men, who is definitely not Lota. She is startled, but does not make a sound. In fact, she gestures at the two women to keep hidden inside the hut.

Meanwhile, Tony happens to surprise a colorful bird as he approaches, which screeches loudly, drawing the attention of the two men, who turn and draw their pistols.

"Freeze! Hands up, pal. You're in big trouble."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm
by jp1885

Tony raises his hands, well aware of how disheveled he must look.

“Trouble? Moi?” he says in mock alarm. “I didn’t think Ramon would say I’m trouble per se.”

He hopes that such name-dropping might lower the gun-toting fellows’ guard somewhat.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara tenses, but figures Tony and Liz are better off taking the lead in anything rough.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz nods and remains hidden, observing the exchange for now.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Tony raises his hands, well aware of how disheveled he must look.

“Trouble? Moi?” he says in mock alarm. “I didn’t think Ramon would say I’m trouble per se.”

He hopes that such name-dropping might lower the gun-toting fellows’ guard somewhat.
Spoiler:
cha = 13; I'll add + 3 for Well-Spoken, but you have to convince both guys.0One borderline, so . . .
One of the men lowers his gun. "You must be the courier."

The other still seems a little suspicious. "Maybe Ramon's expecting you, and maybe he isn't. I don't see you carrying the stuff. Where is it?"

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:08 pm
by jp1885

“Well, I’d hardly carry it around in plain sight now would I?” replies Tony, playing for time. “You know how edgy Ramon gets; I have it stashed nearby.”

“Now, any chance if a cup of tea?”
he asks, grinning.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 pm
by SunlessNick

"Don't go out if they call you," Zara whispers to the animal woman. "Make one of them come in here where we can mace him."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz shows the mace to the animal woman before concealing it in her hand again.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: “Well, I’d hardly carry it around in plain sight now would I?” replies Tony, playing for time. “You know how edgy Ramon gets; I have it stashed nearby.”

“Now, any chance if a cup of tea?”
he asks, grinning.
They snort at that.

"Warm beer, maybe," says the more suspicious one, hand ready at pistol. "Hey, Mala! Another beer!"

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: "Don't go out if they call you," Zara whispers to the animal woman. "Make one of them come in here where we can mace him."
The woman nods at this.

"Mala foot hurt," she shouts. "Not walk."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz shows the mace to the animal woman before concealing it in her hand again.
"Make sleep?" Mala whispers.

From outside, the two women hear the man who called for Mala say "You better go see what's wrong with that dame. I'll keep an eye on this guy."

The man enters the hut, startled for a moment by the sight of unexpected guests.
Spoiler:
I assume you want to spray the guy. DEX 120
Luiz sprays mace into the man's face. He topples over, pistol dropping to the dirt floor of the hut. Mala drags him all the way inside before the man outside notices anything.

"Other come soon," she says. "Must run away."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:38 pm
by jp1885

Tony smiles at the remaining guard, suspecting that the girls have laid a trap. He waits until the fellow becomes impatient.

"Let's see what's keeping him shall we? Perhaps he's found some tea after all and is warming the pot."

He follows him into the hut, keeping close so that he can clobber him when he enters.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:44 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara says "Hi there!" in a bright tone as the second man enters the hut, trying to distract him from the others.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Mala," whispers Liz, scooping up the dropped pistol and aiming it at the entrance to catch the second man by surprise when he arrives. "It's not so pleasant when you're the prisoner, is it?" she says, smiling sweetly.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Not one to take chances when he's outnumbered, the man drops his pistol and raises his hands.

"OK, you got me. Big deal. Delgado's got plenty of guys on this island, and the workers will be back for lunch any minute. There's a hell of a lot more of them then there are of you, and they're a mean bunch if they don't get fed."

Confirming his words, the sound of many approaching feet reaches the investigators, along with shouted commands and an occasional snap of a whip.

"You can shoot me down in cold blood if you wanna, but that won't stop them, or their masters."

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:19 pm
by jp1885

“Well maybe you should start talking before things get outta hand,” growls Tony. “What’s the deal with your boss and this island?”

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Zara, get his gun," says Liz quietly while keeping their captive covered.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:52 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara grabs the gun and hands it to Tony. She keeps an eye out of the door for whoever's approaching.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The prisoner makes no effort to prevent himself from being disarmed.

"You think the boss tells me everything?" The man lets out a dry laugh. "All I know is that somebody is supposed to show up with something important. Me and Pete down there just keep an eye on this place when the creeps living here are at work. You want to know more, just ask those guys." He indicates the approaching group of animal-folk led by men in uniforms who drive them in the direction of the huts.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:24 am
by SunlessNick

How many of the uniformed men are there? And does Zara recognise any of the animal men from the doctor's laboratory?

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
number of uniformed men0
As they approach, it can be seen that only a pair of uniformed men have control of a couple of dozen or more animal-folk. They seem to be those previously seen on Alcatraz, although not known as individuals.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:04 pm
by jp1885

"Pfft! Call yourself a henchman? What kind of gloating explanation is that?" Tony boffs the goon on the head to knock him unconscious.

"Only two guards by the looks of it; I'm sure we can deal with them."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Right," whispers Liz, tying the prisoners up with their own belts and gagging them with handkerchiefs or something similar, "especially if we can free their captives. There are a lot more of us than there are of them."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 pm
by SunlessNick

"Oh yeah," Zara nods. "You guys want to lead with the guns, or you want me to distract them?"

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think our best bet is to lure the men in here," Liz says quietly. "Then we can get the drop on them too."

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:40 pm
by jp1885

"Agreed; I've no doubt we can take them. I may be somewhat cream-crackered but I'm still up for a scrap," says Tony with a grin.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: "Pfft! Call yourself a henchman? What kind of gloating explanation is that?" Tony boffs the goon on the head to knock him unconscious.

"Only two guards by the looks of it; I'm sure we can deal with them."
Spoiler:
Let's see how hard you hit the guy.0
The guard falls to the floor, mumbling incoherently but not quite fully unconscious.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two guards wander around a bit, evidently looking for something. The animal-like men and women stand nearly motionless.

"Looks like the other guys took off. Maybe they're bringing the stuff to the boss."

"Yeah. Better them than us. Let's take it easy until they get back."

The first directs his words to the animal people.

"OK, you dopes, take a break until tomorrow's shift. But first," he adds, pointing at one of the beast-women, "grab us some grub and brews. Chop, chop!"

Obediently, the woman nods her head and heads for the hut where the investigators are hiding (which seems to be the storeroom for food and beer.)

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:58 pm
by jp1885

Tony keeps the pistol trained on the two prone goons.

"Mala, can you tell friend not to be scared?" He asks the animal woman, nodding towards her approaching comrade. "Get other two bad man in here and we catch them like last time."

"Lz, Zara, perhaps one of you could make ready with the mace while the other gags and binds our chums here?

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:21 pm
by SunlessNick

Liz has the mace, so Zara makes with the tying. (She's actually kinda digging getting to take someone else prisoner this time).

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Get them to come one at a time," Liz whispers to Mala while she covers Zara. "It's easier that way, like before."
OOC,I said I was tying and gagging them in [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=245359#p245359]this post[/url].

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:26 am
by SunlessNick
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I said I was tying and gagging them in [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=245359#p245359]this post[/url].
OOC,So you did. Sorry.
In that case, Zara gets to a position where one of the thugs coming in will probably see her first (again, hopefully distracing him from Liz and Tony).

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Quickly whispered words between the two animal-women lead to an understanding.

"Boss, come hurry!" shouts the newly arrived one.

"What's gotten into that hairy dame now?" one of the men grumbles.

"Maybe one of those slobs finally figured out how to use a bottle opener," the other replies. "I'll check it out. You wait here, in case the natives are restless tonight."

He walks over to the hut and freezes when he sees Zara. "Who the hell are you?"

"Hey," his companion shouts. "What's the trouble?"

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:49 pm
by jp1885

Seeing that things going slightly awry, Tony teleports behind the guard still standing outside (assuming the other fellow is suitably maced).

If all goes well, he presses the pistol into his back.

“Drop your weapon! Hands up! You know, the usual routine old chap.”

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 pm
by SunlessNick

"Freeze!" Zara says. (Liz has the gun and the mace, so Zara has nothing to enforce that with, but wants to keep the guy's attention on her instead of on Liz).

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz tries to mace the goon, but he moved too fast. "Drop your weapon, please," she says, training her gun on him.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) macing the goon: 0

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Seeing that things going slightly awry, Tony teleports behind the guard still standing outside (assuming the other fellow is suitably maced).

If all goes well, he presses the pistol into his back.

“Drop your weapon! Hands up! You know, the usual routine old chap.”
With a sigh, the fellow complies.

"Figures somebody would be musclin' in on this action. No need for the rough stuff, I'm just the hired help."

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Freeze!" Zara says. (Liz has the gun and the mace, so Zara has nothing to enforce that with, but wants to keep the guy's attention on her instead of on Liz).
This empty threat brings only a chuckle from the man, which distracts him long enough for Liz to sneak up on him. He manages to dodge the mace, probably because it's hard to use it inside the crowded hut without hitting somebody else, but his has no appetite for facing a pistol.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz tries to mace the goon, but he moved too fast. "Drop your weapon, please," she says, training her gun on him.
The fellow complies.

"What's the game, lady? There ain't no banks to rob around here."

The man who was just barely knocked out manages to rouse himself enough to speak.

"They're after the stuff. Can't let 'em get it." He then collapses back into a stupor.

"Yeah?" the other asks. "Good luck. You'll need it. Maybe you can handle a few two-bit hired hands, but the guys with the stuff play rough. And I hear them comin' now."

His words are not merely a bluff, as the roar of an approaching helicopter of appreciable size comes from outside. The blast from its rotors thrashes the coconut trees as it draws near, approaching a flat, grassy area to land.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:45 pm
by jp1885

“So who hired you? What’s the stuff? Answer quickly, there’s a good chap,” growls Tony, eyeing the helicopter warily.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz hands off the mace to Zara and takes out her EMP device, using it on the helicopter. "I'm afraid your mates may have a bit of a rough landing," she says.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:15 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara scoops up the pistol of the guy Liz is covering (this one she keeps), and proceeds to tie him up - she doesn't bother with a gag, figuring there's no point in keeping pretending everything's normal. Once he's bound, she heads outside. Addressing the animal men, she says "Do you recognise me? Lota asked us to come. We're here to help you."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
“So who hired you? What’s the stuff? Answer quickly, there’s a good chap,” growls Tony, eyeing the helicopter warily.
"Delgado's the big boss, don't you know that? No reason to keep the stuff secret any more. You'll find out soon enough. It's whatyacallit, enriched U-two hundred somethin'. Ever hear of the Manhattan Project?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz hands off the mace to Zara and takes out her EMP device, using it on the helicopter. "I'm afraid your mates may have a bit of a rough landing," she says.
Spoiler:
Let's see if the pilot can handle the landing. DEX 90Borderline failure . . .
Without warning, the helicopter begins veering wildly. Even over the roar of its rotors, the shouts of the men inside can be heard. It finally crashes to the ground, damaged but still in one piece. The shaken men inside wait for the rotors to cease spinning. Through a viewport in the spacious cargo area, it can be seen that two big, muscular fellows are struggling to lift a metal box of moderate size, evidently quite heavy.

"Come on, you mugs," yells the man seated next to the pilot. "We gotta get that stuff to the cave."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara scoops up the pistol of the guy Liz is covering (this one she keeps), and proceeds to tie him up - she doesn't bother with a gag, figuring there's no point in keeping pretending everything's normal. Once he's bound, she heads outside. Addressing the animal men, she says "Do you recognise me? Lota asked us to come. We're here to help you."
The animal people nod in recognition.

"They take Lota away," one fellow says. "Say kill if not work. We work, hard, hard, in the bad place, dig long time. You save Lota?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we'll save Lota," says Liz. "The stuff is enriched U-235, an isotope of uranium that can be used in the development of nuclear weapons."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 pm
by jp1885

"Somehow I don't think a second brush with radiation will be particularly good for our health, or indeed anyone's. What say we relieve those chaps of their cargo and then rescue our hairy chums, hm? Question is... How...?"

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 pm
by SunlessNick

"Threaten to shoot their buddy?" Zara suggests, pointing at the thug who's outside the hut. [OOC: I can't remember, can Tony carry someone with him when he teleports?]

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to free and arm Lota's people first," says Liz. "They're a ready-made army. They can't use pistols, probably, but almost anything can be used as a club. It's okay for them to do that. Their law says not to spill blood, but clubbing someone unconscious need not spill any."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:41 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara nods. Are the animal men restrained at all, or are they free to move?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Threaten to shoot their buddy?" Zara suggests, pointing at the thug who's outside the hut.
The man laughs without mirth. "They'd run over the own grandmothers with a steamroller to keep that stuff. I ain't no martyr, but I ain't yellow either. Shootin' me won't get ya nothin'."
Spoiler:
[OOC: I can't remember, can Tony carry someone with him when he teleports?] No, just a small amount of weight; clothing, personal possessions, etc.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Zara nods. Are the animal men restrained at all, or are they free to move?
The beast folk, generally controlled with whips and the noise of gunfire, are unfettered. Understanding some of what is being said, some of them pick up rocks and coconuts.

Meanwhile, the two big men struggle with the heavy box.

"Are we supposed to lug this thing all the way to the cave?" one asks.

"Of course not," the man next to the pilot says. He emerges from the helicopter, dressed in light clothing. He wears a shoulder holster with a pistol. "Ramon's heard the chopper by now. He'll be here soon."

"He better be," the pilot says. "This baby ain't goin' nowhere. He's our only hope of getting off this chunk of rock in one piece."

They've been so busy, with the crash and unloading, that they haven't been paying any attention to the investigators or the beast folk, who are staring at them. The sound of an approaching motorboat comes from the nearby beach.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:29 am
by jp1885

"I think we need to get hold of that box before Ramon arrives; that'll give us a valuable bargaining chip. If we can get our friends to make a noise here and maybe draw some of the goons away, I can teleport behind them while you two girls sneak around the flanks with some of the sneakier-looking animal folk. Between us we can surround and jump them."

Having outlined his thoughts, he looks around to see if any of the animal folk have bows, slings or any kind of ranged weapons.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 pm
by SunlessNick

"Who's good at sneaking?" Zara asks the beast men.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz puts her EMP device away, then ties up and gags their new prisoners. Then she takes back her mace now that Zara has a pistol too. "Sounds like a good plan," she says.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"I think we need to get hold of that box before Ramon arrives; that'll give us a valuable bargaining chip. If we can get our friends to make a noise here and maybe draw some of the goons away, I can teleport behind them while you two girls sneak around the flanks with some of the sneakier-looking animal folk. Between us we can surround and jump them."

Having outlined his thoughts, he looks around to see if any of the animal folk have bows, slings or any kind of ranged weapons.
It becomes obvious that throwing random objects is the most highly developed form of weaponry these beings possess. One of the animal folk tosses a large coconut at the man with the pistol.
Spoiler:
0nice throw! damage1ouch!
The nut hits the man directly on the head, knocking him on the ground unconscious. The one who threw it jumps up and down with glee and hoots a victory yell.

"Drop that thing and take care of these creeps!" the pilot shouts. "You know what to do." Considering caution to be a virtue, the fellow runs off to the beach, waving his arms at the approaching boat. Meanwhile the two big guys raise their fists and take swings at the nearest beast folk.

Neither of the big lugs is agile enough to land a punch, although if they do the results could be serious.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"Who's good at sneaking?" Zara asks the beast men.
"We go," answer a couple of the more limber beast women.
Spoiler:
They both successfully sneak behind the heavy box, now set on the ground by the two big men, by running from one coconut tree to another.

The sound of the boat engine shutting down comes from the shore.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:11 pm
by jp1885

With the attack underway, Tony pauses. Watching the boat, he waits for it to come into teleporting range.

“Change of plan!” he yells, “I’m going for the boat!”

When possible, he’ll teleport onto the boat, hopefully in the cockpit.

If the boat isn’t visible, ignore the above! Tony will teleport next to the box, attempting to clout any goon standing nearby.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:40 pm
by SunlessNick

Zara aims her pistol toward the two goons attacking the animal men. Knowing she doesn't look like much of a threat, she fires a warning shot over their heads, before yelling "Freeze!" (If she do, she tells the animal men to tie them up).
OOC,She figures the pilot has already alerted whoever's in the boat that something's up, so it doesn't much matter if they hear the sound of a shot too.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz also takes aim at the goons, pointing her pistol at whichever one Zara did not target. "It's not worth dying for whatever Delgado's paying you," she says. "Whatever it is, we can outbid him."

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
With the attack underway, Tony pauses. Watching the boat, he waits for it to come into teleporting range.

“Change of plan!” he yells, “I’m going for the boat!”

When possible, he’ll teleport onto the boat, hopefully in the cockpit.
The pilot of the craft is taken by surprise, to say the least, by the sudden appearance of an unknown man in the cockpit. Stunned into letting go of the wheel, he allows the boat to crash into the shore. (As all recall, the only real harbor is on the other side of the island.)
Spoiler:
Let's see who can remain standing. Dex 14 and 90
Prepared for the less than gentle landing, Tony is able to remain standing by grabbing the wheel. The pilot falls flat on his face.

From inside the cabin, the voice of Ramon Delgado can be heard.

"What the devil is going on out there?"

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let's see if the two Brutes are smart enough to give up. INT = 7 each.0
With a look compounded of both dull caution and avarice, the man in front of Liz raises his hands high and says "How much?"

His companion, obviously in a mindless rage, lunges at Zara, heedless of her weapon.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz tries to mace the goon attacking Zara, but he moves too fast. Fortunately, Zara still has her pistol to fend him off. "Let's just call it twice what Delgado's paying you," she says. "You can begin by stopping your buddy."
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) to mace the goon attacking [b]Zara[/b]: 0

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,Morale Check against Charisma 13 Rolled 8
Zara doesn't flinch and puts another bullet into the ground just in front of the goon's feet.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:00 pm
by jp1885

“Slight technical hitch!” yells Tony over the engine noise as he slams the boat into reverse and tries to back off the beach.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Liz tries to mace the goon attacking Zara, but he moves too fast. Fortunately, Zara still has her pistol to fend him off. "Let's just call it twice what Delgado's paying you," she says. "You can begin by stopping your buddy."
The guy just nods, and takes a swing at his companion.
Spoiler:
0damage1
He clips the other guy on the side of the head. Blood begins to flow. Distracted away from Zara (not to mention the pistol shot), the other one strikes back.
Spoiler:
No doubt because his vision is impaired by the blood flowing into his eyes, the guy misses by a wide margin.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
“Slight technical hitch!” yells Tony over the engine noise as he slams the boat into reverse and tries to back off the beach.
Spoiler:
dex 14 but no head for mechanics (-3) = 110
The controls for the boat are too complex to grasp right away, so Tony winds up getting the vessel completely stuck on the rocky shore. This brings Delgado up from below. Ahead of him is what at first appears to be a comic book robot of sorts, although it quickly becomes clear that it is someone dressed in a suit of armor of modern design. Only a narrow visor on the helmet allows any sign of a living soul inside the metal exoskeleton; two bright blue eyes. The figure has large metal spikes on its gauntlets.

"Get him, Hammerhead!" Delgado shouts.

The armored figure approaches.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:09 pm
by jp1885

"Seriously?" asks Tony, cocking his head. "A tad theatrical don't you think?"

He sweeps his arm across the boat controls in the hope of causing some confusion before preparing to face the mechanical man. His eyes dart this way and that, seeking a way past the brute to attack Delgado (by teleportation if necessary, although he's well aware that it'll affect his fighting ability.)

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:04 pm
by SunlessNick

"Just stop moving and siddown!" Zara yells at the remaining goon.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done," says Liz to the goon she had just hired. She sprays the mace at Zara's assailant again, this time with more success.
OOC,Dexterity roll (12) macing the goon again: 0

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
"Seriously?" asks Tony, cocking his head. "A tad theatrical don't you think?"

He sweeps his arm across the boat controls in the hope of causing some confusion before preparing to face the mechanical man. His eyes dart this way and that, seeking a way past the brute to attack Delgado (by teleportation if necessary, although he's well aware that it'll affect his fighting ability.)
Activating the beached boat's controls at random creates a rocking effect, a lot of noise, and little else.
Spoiler:
Let's see who falls down. DFEX: Tony = 14, Hammerhead = 6, Delgado = 90
The boat's movement causes Hammerhead to crash into the deck, making a huge hole, through which water begins to pour. The boat is sinking! Delgado scrambles in an attempt to reach shore.
Spoiler:
Let's see if he can make it DEX 91
With the behemoth-like Hammerhead and Tony blocking his way, he is unable to leave the sinking boat.

"Fool!" he shouts. "We've got to get the U-235 to the cave before it's too late!"

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
With one of the two big men out of commission, the other cracks a wide grin, with a few teeth missing.

"I done good. Pay now."

Meanwhile, a loud ticking sound comes from the metal box.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm
by jp1885

"Care to explain why?" Tony asks. "In fact, care to explain your presence here full-stop?"

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Meanwhile, a loud ticking sound comes from the metal box.
"Uh, guys? It's ticking," Zara says. "We need to stop it or get away from it."

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz takes out some money from her handbag and hands it to the goon. "This will do for a start," she says, checking out the box. "You'll get the rest after you help us move this box, as we have to do it urgently. That ticking sound must be a timing mechanism. If there's U-235 in there, and a bomb with it, that'll spread radiation all over the place if it goes off. I'm not sure if my EMP device will work; the bomb may be purely mechanical. I think we'd better get it to the cave post haste."

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This being a time when enemies must become allies, at least temporarily, Delgado and the big guy both grab the handles of the box and lift.
Spoiler:
str = 90
Fortunately, Delgado proves to be strong enough to hold up his end, and the pair make their way as quickly as they can along the coast, to the southern end of the island.

Between heavy breaths, Delgado is able to speak a few words.

"Must. Drop. In. Pit. Or. Whole. Place. Goes. Up."

He becomes too exhausted to say anything else.

After a time that seems longer than it really is, they reach the cave. It's a massive opening into the bowels of the island, dimly lit inside. At the entrance, Delgado collapses, completely exhausted. His minion is still willing to carry the box deep inside, but even he can't lift it all by himself. The ticking sounds grows louder and more rapid.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:11 pm
by jp1885

Naturally, Tony is the first to step in to assist.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

Liz also helps carry the box, being stronger than she looks.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:19 am
by SunlessNick

Zara keeps a tense eye on Delgado while the others are in the cave, gun in hand.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Tony and Liz STR = 7 and 120
No doubt driven by an urge to impress the ladies, Tony is able to lift his end of the box with seeming ease. Liz does not have as much success, but perhaps she was just allowing him to enjoy a moment of glory.

In any case, Tony and the big guy carry the box deep into the cave. Only a bit of sunlight reaches the interior from outside, just enough to make one's way. The cave floor slopes down, while the ceiling climbs, until the pair reach a large natural dome. Their heavy breathing echoes off the cave walls.

"A little way to go," the big guy says, in a loud voice. His words reverberate within the cavern. This has the unexpected side effect of alerting the cave's inhabitants.

Bats! Maybe Delgado wasn't completely lying about his reasons for being here, as the sound of countless wings comes from deeper in the cave. A cloud of the winged beasts comes rushing out at the two men.
Spoiler:
Bats not listed in the Presenter's Manual, so I'm treating them as Rats that can fly.1That's how many there are.
As far as you can tell, it's just "a lot." The bats just want to get out, so let's see how many escape. I can't roll that many dice, so I'll call the number 80 and do them ten at a time. DEX 152
Most of the bats just fly by overhead, not to be seen again, but something like two dozen, perhaps losing their remarkable ability to navigate by sonar due to fear, hunger, or disease, head for the two men.
Spoiler:
I'll see if you can dodge them DEX 14 and 73
The ill-matched pair try to duck their heads, but the frenzied bats are too disoriented to avoid the men.
Spoiler:
Let's round it down to twenty. Ten attack each person. DEX 15; Tony:4Thug:5 Wow. Quite a difference there. The bat bites aren't serious, but each one has a 10% chance of infecting the victim with rabies. Ten rolls (!) for Tony, 4 for the thug. Hope you don't get a 19 or 20.67 Wow again! Bad die rolls! Four of the bats that bit Tony are infected.
The flying beasts bite the two men, but do not draw much blood. After they leave the cave, the two men, cursing the creatures, return to their task. The big guy seems to recover quickly, but Tony doesn't feel too well.
Spoiler:
Reduce CON by 1, and again each day you can't get somewhere where there's the rabies treatment available.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:45 pm
by jp1885

Sweating profusely, the hapless Tony redoubles his efforts to move the crate, hoping that he can get some medical attention later.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:59 pm
by SunlessNick
OOC:   I can't help thinking that at this point, Tony would rather pack everyone into the airship and get out while leaving the island to be nuked.  

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:01 pm
by SunlessNick

"So what are you really doing here?" Zara asks Delgado.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:00 pm
by jp1885
SunlessNick wrote:
OOC:   I can't help thinking that at this point, Tony would rather pack everyone into the airship and get out while leaving the island to be nuked.  
OOC:   The thought has no doubt crossed his mind! Damn this chivalry...  

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Unable to move the box, Liz stands by with her pistol and mace. "Trying to make nuclear weapons, unless I miss my guess," says Liz.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Somewhat recovered from his ordeal, Delgado manages to rise to his feet.

"Nuclear weapons," he says with a sneer. "Where's the profit in that? Do you know what lies at the bottom of this island? Far, far down, at the bottom of that pit? Coal. Ultra high grade anthracite. Under enormous pressure. And what do you think is going to happen when that little device goes off, compressing it even more? Don't worry, you'll get your share. Better to have partners than enemies, I always say."

By this time, the armor-clad figure addressed as Hammerhead has managed to stand, get off the boat, and reach the cave.

"Get back, you fool!" Delagado shouts at him. "The explosion--"

Hammerhead knocks him down with a single blow.

"I got a personal score to settle," comes in a deep voice from within the armor. Hammerhead heads into the cave.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Sweating profusely, the hapless Tony redoubles his efforts to move the crate, hoping that he can get some medical attention later.
The ill-matched pair head deeper inside the cave, almost to the edge of the pit, when they are interrupted by the arrival of Hammerhead.

"Drop that thing and fight." The booming voice echoes within the vast rock chamber. "Or I'm coming after you."

"There ain't no time," the big thug warns Tony. "We gotta drop this baby. C'mon, move!"

It would seem impossible to battle this new arrival and tend to the arduous chore of carrying the box at the same time.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:40 pm
by jp1885

“I concur,” says Tony, completely stripped of his usual sang-froid. “Let’s drop this thing off and hang the consequences.”

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 am
by SunlessNick

Zara looks at Liz. "Does that EMP of yours still work, because I'm pretty sure nothing else have is gonna."

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, diamonds," says Liz when Delgado speaks. "My best friend." She takes out her EMP device and points it at the box before activating it. If Hammerhead gets hit by it too, all the better. The metal suit does not seem to actually be a robotic exoskeleton, so it may not be effective against him, though it might if there are any electrical motors in it. "It's worth a try."

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Whatever you're trying to do with that gizmo won't work," Delgado notes, rubbing his arm where Hammerhead hit him. "No electronics in Hammerhead's suit, or in the box. Strictly mechanical. You'd be surprised how easy it is to set up an alarm clock so a charge of explosive rams a couple of pieces of U-235 together."

Meanwhile, Tony and the big guy rush to the pit, intent on tossing the box into its unseen depths. With a mighty effort they throw it. It soon disappears from sight. Several seconds later, there's a hollow thump from far, far below.

"Get out now!" Delgado shouts. "She's gonna blow any second!"

It would seem wise to follow this advice, but Hammerhead stands in the way.

"You guys ain't going nowhere," comes the deep voice from inside the armor.
Spoiler:
Fortunately, the suit reduces his dex to 7. But if he connects . . .0
Hammerhead takes a swing at the two, but misses by so much that it's impossible even to tell who he was aiming for.

The ground begins to tremble, like the first, minor shocks of an earthquake.

"I hope the volcano doesn't blow at the same time as the bomb," Delgado mutters. "That would be . . . bad."

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:54 pm
by jp1885

Despite his state, Tony dodges Hammerhead’s attack. He looks at his thuggish friend and sighs.

“You go; I’ll keep this idiot busy...”

Putting up his fists, he steps to one side in an attempt to draw Hammerhead away enough for the thug to get past.

“Come on then you metallic moron, let’s test your mettle!”

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:43 am
by SunlessNick
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... gomery.jpg[/img]

"If Tony can get him close to the hole, maybe we can knock him down it."

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"His eyes are exposed, so mace might work," says Liz, "but let me see if he responds to charm. He is still a man under all that metal." She calls out to him. "Revenge can wait, Mr. Hammerhead! If you don't get out of here now, you'll be just as dead as your enemy! Let's get away from the blast, and then you can settle it!"
OOC,A Charisma roll should be an automatic success with Beautiful and Charming, unless there's other factors hindering it.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Despite his state, Tony dodges Hammerhead’s attack. He looks at his thuggish friend and sighs.

“You go; I’ll keep this idiot busy...”

Putting up his fists, he steps to one side in an attempt to draw Hammerhead away enough for the thug to get past.

“Come on then you metallic moron, let’s test your mettle!”
Spoiler:
Another swing0
The armored behemoth misses again. Obviously his eccentric choice of grab renders him less than graceful.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: "If Tony can get him close to the hole, maybe we can knock him down it."
It is obvious that the fellow is intent on his enemy, and not concerned with his own safety.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"His eyes are exposed, so mace might work," says Liz, "but let me see if he responds to charm. He is still a man under all that metal." She calls out to him. "Revenge can wait, Mr. Hammerhead! If you don't get out of here now, you'll be just as dead as your enemy! Let's get away from the blast, and then you can settle it!"
OOC,A Charisma roll should be an automatic success with Beautiful and Charming, unless there's other factors hindering it.
Spoiler:
I don't disagree, but in this particular situation, I don't think the intended recipient of your charm would be at all interested; he's too intent on the battle for revenge, and completely unconcerned with his own safety.
It's a nice try on the part of the charismatic Liz, but Hammerhead doesn't seem to pay any attention to anything but his enemy. It might be noticed, however, that Delgado heeds her words, and runs as fast as he can toward the west. The ground continues to tremble.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:19 pm
by jp1885

Thoroughly fed-up with this belligerent goon, Tony strikes out with his stick, trying to land a resounding blow on the fellow's helmet. He knows that he can do little to harm him, but hopes that the resultant 'bong!' will disorient the brute enough for Tony to make his escape.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:08 am
by SunlessNick

If Tony's attack succeeds, I guess everyone runs, so Zara will too. If Hammerhead is still trying to fight, Zara will try to shoot him, even if she's not confident of the bullet getting though the armour.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz will also flee if Tony is successful in getting past Hammerhead, but if he is not, she will try to mace the brute in his exposed eyes.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Thoroughly fed-up with this belligerent goon, Tony strikes out with his stick, trying to land a resounding blow on the fellow's helmet. He knows that he can do little to harm him, but hopes that the resultant 'bong!' will disorient the brute enough for Tony to make his escape.
Spoiler:
Dex = 14 + 3 for Bartitsu, but -2 for his armor = 150
Probably due to the shaking of the ground, Tony's deadly stick fails to strike its intended target. Hammerhead strikes back.
Spoiler:
Dex = 71
He also misses. The ground starts shaking more.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:59 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: If Tony's attack succeeds, I guess everyone runs, so Zara will too. If Hammerhead is still trying to fight, Zara will try to shoot him, even if she's not confident of the bullet getting though the armour.
Spoiler:
dex 13 - 2 for his armor = 110damage1
With deadly aim, no doubt brought about by this desperate situation, Zara's shot strikes in Hammerhead's eye slots, sending him crashing to the ground and moaning weakly. Tony is now able to dash around him easily.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the shaking of the ground grows in intensity, the investigators face the choice of following Delgado to the west, or taking the most direct path up to the caldera to reach the airship, or heading back to the huts of the beast-folk, in an attempt to rescue them in some way. None of these seem like very inviting possibilities.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:00 pm
by jp1885

“Nice shooting Zara,” says Tony, impressed. “What say we all scarper? We’d better take our animal chums with us though - bad form to let them all burn and all.”

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:28 pm
by SunlessNick

"Yeah. Yeah, we can't leave them here. But we don't know where Lota is."

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Liz. "I bet Delgado knows where she is. He must have been holding her hostage to ensure her people's cooperation. Maybe we should follow him."

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Following Delgado is not very difficult; the path between the west and south sides of the island appears to have been well traveled and maintained, for a dirt track. It's obvious that he's heading for the boat where the investigators first saw him.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:48 am
by SunlessNick

"You guys go after him and get Lota," Zara suggests, "and I'll get the others and lead them to the airship. I don't think we've got a lot of time." She offers her gun to Liz and Tony.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good thinking," says Liz. "Thanks, but I've already got a gun, so you hold onto it unless Tony doesn't have one."

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:08 pm
by jp1885

“Oh I think I’m adequately armed,” says Tony. “Now let’s catch up with Delgado before he can free up his boat.”

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Rushing back to the huts, Zara is able to hastily explain the situation to the beast folk. They understand quickly, possessing a native wisdom about matters of survival.
Spoiler:
dex 130
No doubt encouraged by the gravity of the situation, Zara is able to scramble up to the caldera, if not quite as gracefully as her charges. They enter the airship in an orderly, if somewhat agitated, fashion.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Meanwhile, Liz and Tony follow Delgado to La Reina del Pacifico. The yacht is guarded, as before, by Bruno, who stands and grips his rifle as Delgado jumps aboard.

"Keep them away!" Delgado shouts as he dashes below deck. "Raise anchor! All engines full astern!"

The clanking sound of the anchor being pulled up mixes with the roar of the yacht's engine.

Bruno fires a shot at the intruders.
Spoiler:
dex 90
The shot flies by harmlessly.

"That was a warning," Bruno yells. "Stay back!"

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:26 pm
by jp1885

“Tell us where Lota is,” Tony yells over the rumble of the engine. “And we’ll let you go!”

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:32 am
by SunlessNick

Zara also brings the goons we took prisoner (though she has them tied back up once everyone's aboard the airship). She tells the beastmen that Liz and Tony are looking for Lota.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz takes cover and points her EMP device at the boat's engines, but she doesn't activate it yet. "You know what this can do!" she calls. "You don't need Lota any more, but you do need your boat's engine to run!"

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
On the airship, things seem to be mostly under control, although there is now quite a bit of smoke and ash coming out of the many fumaroles, and even some lava bursting through the caldera in spots.

"Island angry," says the beast-man Zara recognizes as the Sayer of the Law.

At the yacht, a couple of thugs drag Lota out from below decks. Her hands are tied behind her. They toss her overboard, into the water.

"Lota not swim!" she cries out, as the two guys rush back down. Bruno continues to stand guard, but does not fire.

"Take her and get out of here!" Delgado shouts from below.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:57 pm
by jp1885

Despite his earlier aquatic tribulations and his perilous state of health, Tony immediately dives in to rescue Lota.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:07 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Island angry," says the beast-man Zara recognizes as the Sayer of the Law.
"Yeah," Zara agrees. "When the others get here we can take off." Trying to take both their minds off the tension of the wait, she says, "I never thanked you. When I was in the lab. All things considered you were kind to me."

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz puts her EMP device away, slips out of her dress, and rushes into the water to also help Lota.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: "Yeah," Zara agrees. "When the others get here we can take off." Trying to take both their minds off the tension of the wait, she says, "I never thanked you. When I was in the lab. All things considered you were kind to me."
The Sayer of the Law nods. "Not to spill blood. That is the Law. Bad men spill blood of Doctor, give to the hungry fish."

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Tony and Liz DEX 14 + 1 Danger Bonus = 15 and 120
Both Tony and Liz are able to easily pull Lota from the water and safely to shore, as La Reina del Pacifico pulls away.

"Bad men tie Lota, make others work hard, hard." She points at the fleeing yacht. "They escape?"

(It is obvious that her increase in knowledge, caused by the blood transfusion, was a temporary effect.)

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:37 pm
by jp1885

"Never mind bad men, they'll get their comeuppance one day," says Tony, wringing out his cravat. "Of more importance is the fact that the volcano go boom soon. We should get to flying ship!"

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Your people are already on the flying ship, with our friend Zara," says Liz, quickly getting her dress back on and gathering her things.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:33 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The Sayer of the Law nods. "Not to spill blood. That is the Law. Bad men spill blood of Doctor, give to the hungry fish."
"It's a good law, even if people don't always follow it." The moment where she shot at Hammerhead flashes through her mind, and she digs around the cabin of the ship until she finds her gin flask.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lota, who, one presumes, has spent most of her life on this island, in one form or another, is easily able to scramble up to the caldera, where the airship awaits.
Spoiler:
dex 12 and 1401
With some difficulty, Liz is able to follow her. Tony, on the other hand, is apparently feeling the delayed effect of several injuries suffered during this adventure, and fails to ascend. Is there any other way to save him before the cataclysmic explosion?

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:10 am
by jp1885

“You go on... I’ll only slow you down...” Tony mutters.
OOC,Oh come on, he [i]has[/i] to say that!”

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're not leaving without you!" calls Liz. "We'll lower a rope from the airship after we take off, and you can tie it about you. Then we'll hoist you up. Or you could just teleport yourself."

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
by jp1885

“Sounds ideal m’dear. Hoist me up and I’ll teleport when you’re in range.”

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:41 am
by SunlessNick
OOC,Can Tony teleport far enough to make it to the top of the caldera or is it too far?

In between swigs, Zara is lookng anxiously out of the windows at the direction the others will have to come from. "They're coming!" she cries at the sight of Lota and Liz.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the rumbling and smoking of the volcano increases, several of the beast men lower a rope from the airship. One of them scrambles down, ties Tony securely, then returns to his fellows. With their great strength, they are able to pull Tony to safety, with a few bumps along the way.

The airship tips from side to side as a particularly strong tremor shakes the island. The investigators rush to the controls and launch the ship into the air, not a moment too soon, as a fountain of lava bursts from the caldera like a geyser, nearly striking the airship, so closely that one can feel the heat. The beast-folk become agitated by the sight of their ancient enemy, fire.

Lota rushes to Tony's side and embraces him, a little too tightly for comfort.

"Ton-nee safe," she says. "Where go now?"

The airship reaches a height from which all can see La Reina del Pacifico fleeing to the west at full speed. To the south, the tiny figure of Hammerhead can be seen emerging from the bat cave, shaking his fist at the sky. Judging from the way his armor glows, he seems to be covered with lava, although this doesn't seem to bother him.

Not long afterwards, the final, cataclysmic explosion tears the island apart, sending huge boulders flying into the air, barely missing the airship. It seems that there will be spectacular sunsets, and cool temperatures, for some time.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:08 am
by jp1885

“Good bloody riddance...” a slumping Tony mutters, watching the island disappear before closing his eyes.

“I think a hospital is in order...”

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"The nearest one would probably be in Hawaii, so let's set course there," says Liz. "Lota's people probably wouldn't be able to live there, but there's also the island on which Professor Hinkley and six others were stranded for years. The island should be deserted now, and there must be plenty of food and fresh water for the castaways to have survived there for years."

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 am
by SunlessNick

"I didn't kill him," Zara says quietly. She fishes out some more booze and hands it to Tony. "You deserve some, for sure."

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As they make their way in the general direction of the Hawaiian islands, careful use of the detailed maps aboard the airship allow the investigators to locate the uncharted desert isle where Professor Hinckley, along with the other passengers and crew of the Minnow were stranded for so long. There isn't a good landing spot for the airship, but it is able to come close enough to allow the agile beast folk to jump down into the warm tropical water, where it isn't too deep, and wade to shore. Lota is the last to remain aboard.

"Ton-nee come with Lota," she pleads.

Meanwhile, there have been numerous news reports coming from the airship's radio concerning the tremendous explosion of the island. (Although the place was known to few, the fury of its destruction made it impossible to miss.) Along with the expected information about the event, there is also a program devoted to so-called unexplained phenomena that makes an extraordinary announcement. According to an anonymous source, claiming to have been in the observation gondola of a Trieste-class bathyscaphe during a routine test dive, a person encased in some kind of protective suit was seen walking on the bottom of the sea, not far from the destroyed island. There is, of course, no corroborating evidence.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:16 pm
by jp1885

“Alas no, my dear Lota,” Tony croaks. “To-nee very sick - needs hospital. Also, bad men will be looking for me. Don’t want them coming to new island after me.”

He flops back, exhausted by the effort of talking.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 am
by SunlessNick

"Good luck," Zara wishes the wolf people. "We won't tell anyone where to find you."

"At least it's going to take him a while to get anywhere," she says of the possible sighting of Hammerhead.

Once the trio are underway again, she suggest, "Maybe we should keep the airship. It could be our HQ."

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Liz also wishes Lota and her people luck. "That would be groovy," she says in response to Zara's suggestions. "I'm sure UNCLE would approve. We could go on missions all over the world with this craft."

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Get ready to blow your mind with the latest big hit from Mick and the boys! That's right, rockers and rollers! I'm talking about the one and only Stones, and their not new number!