Page 1 of 1

Ch.15e Bearing Gifts

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:09 pm
by Philulhu
Tuesday March 10th, 1931 12.30pm
102 de Jean Charles Blvd., Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Having detoured by a store to collect a hamper full of delicacies, Alex and Ivy made their way to Charlie Banyacya’s home.

It was a single storey, clapboard-covered ranch-style house, with a porch running across the front. Sat on wooden bench seat, watching them approach, was an older Native American man, dressed neatly in black trousers and a white shirt, secured at the neck with a bolo tie. A wide-brimmed hat shaded his eyes.

”How can I help you folks?” he called over as they drew near.

Re: Ch.15e Bearing Gifts

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:32 am
by Silver Priest
"Mr. Banyacya?" Alex asks, offering the man his hand.

"My name is Alexander Arbuckle. My colleague and I are keenly interested in matters of folklore. We've heard you know a great deal about the Indian tribes from this area. We were hoping to ask you some questions about the folklore of one of them. In exchange for a filled larder, of course."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:46 am
by jp1885

Ivy smiles thinly in greeting, but, playing the role of the dutiful wife, remains silent.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:15 am
by Philulhu
Charlie Banyacya, that’s me,” the man replied. He stood with the aid of a walking stick and walked to the edge of the porch from where he could view the contents of the hamper. Eyes shaded by his hat he studied for a long moment, then said, ”It beats bullets and beads, I guess!” and he lifted his head and they could see he was smiling.

He turned back to the house and called out, Martha - bring coffee. we’ve got guests.”

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:11 pm
by jp1885

Ivy chuckles (a sound that is rarely heard); appreciating the man’s dry humour.

“Coffee would be much appreciated. My name is Ivy by the way.”

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 pm
by Silver Priest
"Much appreciated, sir." Alex says, the appeal of a fresh pot of coffee doing much to improve his mood. "I imagine you have a great deal of experience in this field. How long were you employed in it?" He figures it's better to get a feel for the man before coming out and asking the important questions. And the detective is also a bit gregarious and enjoys getting to know friendly people, so he hardly minds an hour long explanation of the man's history-- Ivy may have a different opinion.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:54 pm
by jp1885
Ivy is content to let the two men chew the fat, as it will allow her to sit back and study Charlie (and, when she arrives, Martha).

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:56 pm
by Philulhu
Charlie looked at Ivy carefully, then smiled. ”Welcome… ma’am… …”

As he pulled out a couple of folding chairs for his guests, he said, ”Almost 30 years. Started as a young man and carried on until President Roosevelt made us all school inspectors. After that, I decided to settle down which is where I met Martha here.” He smiled as a younger woman emerged from that house with a pot of coffee and cup on a tray.

Settling back on his bench as Martha poured the coffee, he said, ”So how can I help you?”

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:18 am
by Silver Priest
"Much appreciated, young lady." Alex says, pouring himself a cup.

"I'm sure you have numerous stories we'd love to hear. But at the moment, I think we're most interested in a lesser known tribe. The Hopi, was it?" He looks towards Ivy. "Their folklore seemed rather unique compared to many of the other tribes in the area. A lot of emphasis on snakes. It caught my eye."

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:40 pm
by jp1885

“Indeed,” replies Ivy as she nods in thanks to Martha. “Particularly the schism of the Tochine. I’ll wager that’s a fascinating story.”

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
Charlie frowned. ”The Hopi are well known, though rare in these parts,” he said. ”They are mainly living in Arizona but there were a few groups over here. And yes, they worship Paaloloqangw - the plumed serpent, but he is a protector - he brings storms and protects their waterways.”

“As for the ‘schism’, I’m not sure what you’ve been reading or who you’ve been talking to but that wasn’t due to no religious beliefs! The Tocine tribe was named after a leader of the same name. He had these fancy ideas that a man can have more than one wife, and he wasn’t too fussy if those wives was already married to someone else, if you catch my drift! He got run outta town by some of the husbands who were none too happy with him. Some of the ‘wives’ stayed with him but most drifted back, or found work in some of the saloons…”

“Anyone joining the tribe was expected to share his wife with Tocine so you can imagine how popular that was. They struggled on for a while but fizzled out eventually.”
He shook his head and laughed. ”It’s crazy how a tale can get twisted!”

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:30 am
by Silver Priest
"Fascinating. Though yes, I can understand why it wasn't all that popular among the menfolk," Alex chuckles. "Or the women either, it takes a special type of girl to want to share her gentleman, and I've yet to meet any of them myself.

"So the Tocine are no longer around? Do you know how long ago they were active? It would be most interesting to speak with a former member, or hear your recollections if you've been able to; I imagine the stories they could tell!"

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:22 pm
by jp1885

Ivy suppresses a frustrated sigh. So much for finding out something useful: Tochine was just some unpleasant polygamist!

She wonders how much of their hand she should reveal by pushing the questioning.

“Did Tochine and his people have any peculiar religious beliefs? Saving the unsavoury appetite for wives that is.”

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:51 pm
by Philulhu
Charlie shrugged. ”As far as I’m aware, there’s no one around from the Tocine anymore. At least, the last one moved away more than 20 years ago and I ain’t seen hide nor hair ever since.”

He looked over to Ivy and studied her intently. ”They kinda left their traditional beliefs behind. I think it was a Mormon missionary who Tocine had got his ideas from and I think most of them converted that way.”

“I get the impression though, that you’re fishing for something else, so why doncha just come out and say what’s on your mind?”

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:04 pm
by Silver Priest
Reasoning Amy's bluntness may serve them better in this instance, Alex shoots her a look.

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:26 pm
by jp1885

Ivy's eye narrow and she nods approvingly - there's no fooling this old man.

"What's on our mind is liable to see us thrown into an asylum," she says bluntly.

"Our interest in history verges on the... supernatural. Our experiences likewise, would you believe. We have reason to believe that a community nearby fell under a snake-worshiping cult - hence our questions about the Hopi. This community calls their snake god Yig."

She stops, studying the man and his wife's reaction to the name,

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:10 pm
by Philulhu
Charlie frowned and exchanged a glance with his wife. ”Yeah, we’ve heard of him,” he said grimly. ”Yig’s got nothing to do with Paaloloqangw - and my advice would be to stay aware as far as possible!”

“The folks who follow the serpent god are crazy!”

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:39 pm
by Silver Priest
"If only we could. Unfortunately, that is not an option." Alex explains. "A few of our friends were down here some time ago, and they ended up in the hands of this cult. Apparently even the local sheriff had been made a member. They escaped, but had to leave a friend behind. That friend recently turned up, which is why we came down here to investigate.

"I'm a police officer, up north. So I can't sit back and do nothing. From what I have learned this cult kidnaps people to use as sacrifices. And if they're infiltrating the police I fear if left unchecked their influence will only grow. We're trying to find enough evidence to break up the cult and end their threat once and for all. Anything you can tell us about them will be a huge help, and rest assured your words shall remain confidential. As my partner alluded to, we've seen some unbelievable things, so I think you will find we possess extremely open minds."

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
Can I have a Persuade roll please?

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:58 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:42 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods in agreement with Alex’s words and waits to see how the conversation develops.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:53 am
by Philulhu
Charlie sat back and studied them for a long moment. ”There’s a group I heard rumours about, down at Pointes-aux-Chenes. Worshipped some snake god by the name of Yig. A mix of white men, natives and blacks, and all colours in between. I heard a few folks went down there but didn’t come back. Not sure if it was their choice or the choice of whoever runs that place. It’s a bad place, I hear. I reckon you folks should stay away, Police or not.”

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:38 pm
by jp1885

"Hmm, I suspect the folk of Pointes-aux-Chenes will come find us, whether we stay away or not," Ivy retorts, thinking back to the fiery demise of the snake-scientist.

"Should that occur, is there anything you can think of that'd give us an edge? Anything at all?"

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:18 pm
by Philulhu
”Why would they come and find you?” asked Charlie with a frown. ”If you leave well-enough alone, there’s no reason why they should come for you.”

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:42 pm
by jp1885

"Let's just say our knack of attracting trouble is equal, or greater than, our knack of getting into it," Ivy replies with a heavy sigh. "Our last experience with serpent-kind did not go well."

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 12:44 am
by Silver Priest
Alex nods. "We found a base of creatures up north. It had some art featuring these serpent folks. There's also the fact one of their prisoners has apparently escaped; the cult may very well want to silence him before he can talk. Our friends are trying to find him now.."

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
Charlie shook his head. ”Even so, I don’t recommend you go seeking trouble. But if you do, go prepared. I heard nothing but bad things about this ‘Yig’ and I shouldn’t imagine his followers are any better”

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:51 pm
by jp1885

Ivy nods in thanks, sipping her coffee and wondering just what she is letting herself in for.

"Hm. I'm sorry we have turned a perfectly cordial conversation into something so sinister," she says abruptly.

"Alex, we shouldn't bother our hosts and expose them to the risks we face any longer. Perhaps we should take our leave."

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:12 pm
by Silver Priest
"Unfortunately, I at least cannot walk away from this, knowing what evil is out there." Alex states.

"But my colleague is right. We're sorry for imposing on you, but have a great rest of your day." Alex gets to his feet. "And ma'am, your coffee is wonderful Worth the trip down here just for it!" He attempts some levity to break the tense mood.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:12 am
by Philulhu
Martha murmured her thanks as Charlie stood to say goodbye to their guests.

”Good luck,” he said simply, offering his hand. ”It sounds like you’ve made up your mind.”

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:24 pm
by jp1885

Ivy shakes the man's hand and nods in thanks to his wife, before taking her leave.

"Well..." she says to Alex after some deliberation when they're out of earshot. "If that's not a portent of doom I don't know what is... So what do we do next? Try the town hall or catch up with our comrades?"

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:23 pm
by Silver Priest
Alex thinks for a moment."We have a lead now, and enough time has passed I'm curious to learn how our companions are fairing. I suggest we go back to the hotel and see what they've learned."

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:12 am
by Philulhu
The others are heading back to the police station so I’ll catch up as soon as I can.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:02 pm
by Philulhu
The telephone rang in the room. It was William, telling them that he was heading over to the hotel with the Sheriff. Alex was going to be deputised…

OOC:   Thanks for your patience. You can rejoin the main thread.