Chapter 5: Further Investigations

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 5: Further Investigations

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, aye," says Alexander. "We've done some research into the matter. It's to do with the killing of a gypsy lad in 1640. His mother supposedly placed a curse on the lord at that time and on all his male descendants, so that they would all die before the age of forty. From what we've seen so far, it seems that they all have."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"That’s very true" says the Reverend. “All have perished, although generally not in such a dramatic manner. Still, the Lord works in mysterious ways.”

He sips his tea and pecks at a biscuit.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Rooter »

"Are you aware of anyone of Gypsy descent still residing in the local area, sir?" Percy inquires.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Oh, no gypsies living here, but they are often travelling through the area. They tend not to come to the village unless it’s absolutely necessary. Perhaps one day they might come to services, but I doubt it!” He winks at Percy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've heard there was some disagreement between the late Lord Allingham and some of the villagers," says Alexander. "Some of them did not like his proposed innovations."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The Reverend nods his head slowly.

Sir William, God rest his soul, was universally disliked I’m afraid. It’s true that he wanted the farms to become more efficient, but that perhaps placed an unfair burden on the locals. The land here is poor, it always has been, and many felt he was being unreasonable in his demands. Evicting the older workers from their cottages made many people quite angry. Yes, there was a lot of ill-feeling towards him.”

He sips his tea. “His somewhat heavy-handed manner didn’t help his cause very much. He could be quite dismissive of those from a lower social standing than himself.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Did his Lordship's opponents have someone in particular leading or speaking for them?" asks Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“There was no organized opposition to Sir William. More of a general discontent.”

Sherbrooke chuckles.

“If you’re thinking of some kind of insurrection, Doctor, you’re very mistaken. The villagers would go along with the decisions of the landowners. By and large, they are tenant farmers, and so are legally obligated to the landowner.”

He shakes his head. “It would have had to be something much more drastic to provoke a rebellion. Actually, most of the villagers’ direct ire was taken out on the newcomers.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"You mentioned these new additions to the village before," Percy says. "Who are they?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Yes I did, didn’t I?” says the Reverend. He is obviously enjoying himself. Miss Pringle hovers in the background.

“In order to increase efficiency and productivity, Sir William hired some workers from outside the village. Unfortunately, he housed them in the very cottages the elderly residents had been living in, and they were obliged to seek refuge with family members. So, as you might imagine, this has caused a fair bit of resentment and bad feeling. There have even been a few instances of fighting in the pub. I try to calm things from my pulpit and preach the gospel of brotherly love, but I’m afraid their presence is still not tolerated very much. I’m afraid my oratory powers are not as they once were.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

'Ot is difficult to listen to words when the very roof over your head is taken away and given to a stranger! I'm afraid I side with the villagers on this one but it does make them prime suspects with such a motive.'
Isolde then lowers her voice,

'Reverend, it is not uncommon up here on the moors for the local people to practice arcane arts; sacrificing the occasional cockerel and such. Have you ever heard of such a thing in this village? I appreciate It is a difficult subject."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander listens with interest, refraining from mentioning the possible efficiency gains of using machines. That no doubt would have upset the villagers as well, as it might have put some them out of work.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sherbrooke almost spits out his tea, and Miss Pringle raises her hands in shock.

“Absolutely not!” gasps Sherbrooke. “I’ll admit they’re superstitious and have some quite arcane beliefs, but these are God-fearing folk! They would never do such things.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"In that case would you say these newcomers - who may not be god-fearing folk - ought to be under suspicion?" Percy ventures. "You must admit the manner of Lord Bargrove's death was far from ordinary."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The Reverend shakes his head firmly. “They’re just ordinary workers; good, honest Dorset folk. There's nothing untoward about them and they attend services regularly. Their presence is just upsetting for the villagers, because of the reasons I mentioned.”

“Of course” concedes Sherbrooke, “there was something... almost pagan, about the manner of Sir William’s death. Burning him like that. Were you informed of the details?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're not aware of the full details, no," says Alexander. "We know he was burned, but not much more than that. What more can you tell us?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I was hoping you’d be able to tell me” says Sherbrooke, looking disappointed. Constable Hallifax knows, of course. He’s the police for these parts. You might see him around the village, otherwise the police station is over in Princetown.”
Everyone,A Luck roll from Isolde will be needed to locate Hallifax, otherwise you will have to go to Princetown to talk to him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Reverend," says Alexander. "We'll be sure to talk to him. And once he tells us, then we'll be able to fill you in. Aside from the new workers, and excepting ourselves of course, have there been any other visitors recently?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Oh no" says Sherbrooke.

Miss Pringle shakes her head, and joins the conversation for the first time.

"There hasn't been anyone except for the same old faces".
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

Melody, who has been observing the conversation quietly so far asks, "Reverand, is there anyone in the village who had a soft spot for Sir William, despite the evictions?"

Return to “The Burnt Man”