Page 1 of 1

Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:41 am
by HoneyDog
Thursday February 28th, 1929

Dr. Bricknell’s office, Miskatonic campus, 9.30am

It is a cold and overcast morning in Arkham as Bricknell listens to the investigators’ tale with a mixture of horror and credulity, but is convinced when he reads Owen’s notes.

”So Owen murdered Frank Charlton he says heavily. ” We need to inform the police straight away”.

Re: Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is not keen about involving the police.

"Yes, of course, the police must be alerted. But, keep in mind, Dr. Bricknell, that the police will try to look for a scapegoat, and might blame the University. So caution is necessary."

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:58 pm
by HoneyDog
”Some scandal may be unavoidable, I fear” Bricknell admits. ”But I would prefer not to spread the knowledge of the nature of Owen’s experiments.”

He pauses.

”However, he must be apprehended before he hurts anyone else. So we have no choice but to inform the police.”

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, you're right," said Alice. "Claude Owen is extremely dangerous. Fortunately, we know where he has likely gone. That farmhouse is where Herbert West had a clandestine lab, and we believe that Owen has gone there to continue his hideous experiments."

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am
by HoneyDog
Bricknell nods.

“Then we must tell the police immediately and let them arrest Owen. You’ve all done wonderfully, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your services.”

He reaches for the phone on his desk.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:24 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Can we go there, too? As consultants, or representatives of the University?"

Isadora finds that despite everything, she is curious to find out more about the farmhouse.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm
by Starspawn338
HoneyDog wrote:Bricknell nods.

“Then we must tell the police immediately and let them arrest Owen. You’ve all done wonderfully, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your services.”

He reaches for the phone on his desk.
"Perhaps you can inform the police about Owen and allow us to go to the farmhouse to verify that he is there before the police arrive. If he's not there, we can remove any University equipment and/or chemicals before calling it in to the police." Harrison suggests.
OOC,Persuade 35 [dice]0[/dice] I'm going to try. I don't like the idea of magic getting out there and I don't want the police to get more notes that someone[i] cough[/i] [b]Asenath[/b] [i]cough[/i] could get a hold of. Oops. Guess I posted too late.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:55 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I edited the posts to account for yours Starspawn. I don't think Bricknell would realistically allow you all to visit the farmhouse without the police, it's too dangerous. Although he cares about the reputation of the university, he's not going to let you risk your lives needlessly. And you shouldn't all be too eager to disdain the help of the police - you may need it...
Bricknell pauses with his hand on the receiver.

“I appreciate that you all want to preserve the University's reputation. But what's done is done. And I won't have you all risk life and limb for this.”

He asks his secretary to put in a call to Detective Luther Harden at the police station.

While the companions enjoy a cup of tea, Harden duly arrives after about 20 minutes. He’s a tough-looking, unsmiling man in his mid-40’s, and as he enters the room he gives the investigators the once-over, pausing a little longer when he regards Isadora. After introductions are made, the companions relate their findings and show him the notes they have found.

Harden regards them silently. “I have to admit, we didn’t have much to go on. But it looks like this Owen might be able to answer a few questions for us, doesn’t it?”

He stands up. “You can accompany us, but I want you all to stay back. He may be armed. Do you agree?”

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, of course, Detective," says Alice.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions follow Harden outside where he gets into a police car manned by a uniformed patrolman.

They get into Isadora’s car and set off after the patrol car. The cars pass through the streets of Arkham, heading north. The sky is leaden and grey, and the winter lays heavy upon the New England landscape.

After a drive of about 30 minutes, the police car turns off the road onto a narrow unpaved lane. The surrounding fields are barren and appear to have been untended for some time. There are no other habitations nearby – it seems to be an ideal location for activities which must remain private.

At the end of the lane lay the charred and overgrown remains of a building. No other structures are nearby. The police car stops and the men get out. The companions pull up behind them, and exit their vehicle too.
Farmhouse.jpg
OOC,Roll Spot Hidden

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]
As they get out of the car, Harrison looks around before commenting quietly. "I've got an bad feeling about this."

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice can't see where the entrance to the basement is, but she's sure it's there somewhere.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (56% skill) at the farmhouse: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:12 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry pulls his coat around him against the cold.
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 27 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Harden Spot Hidden 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/645605]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]18[/b]

“What’s that?”
says Harden suddenly. He stalks off to the rear of the ruined house, followed by the other officer. They begin to pull branches and foliage away and soon an old Model T is partially exposed.

The policemen regard it silently, and then move back to the house. The ground around it is littered with blackened and rotting wood, and the foundations are overgrown with weeds and brambles. Nonetheless, a set of narrow steps leading down are visible, the vegetation around them seemingly recently cut.

Harden produces a torch from his pocket and shines it down the stairs, but not much is visible. He draws his sidearm.

“You folks need to stay here” he tells the companions. “Anything bad goes down, you get out and go for help.”

Followed by the other officer, he heads down.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Go for help?" says Alice, shaking her head. "If they run into trouble, by the time we went for help and came back with it, it would be too late. We're here now, and we're equipped to handle this sort of thing. If they need help, well provide it, and they can yell at us for it later. At least they'll be alive to do so. Let's check out the car while we wait." She examines the old Model T.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
At that moment, the companions hear a cry of alarm followed by a yell of pain, coming from the basement.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:46 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison is startled by the yell from the basement and looks to the others for guidance. "So what do we do?" He asks as he pulls out his pistol.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"We get down there and help them," says Alice, gripping her shotgun and heading for the stairs. "We'll need light down there."

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions rush to the steps but quickly realise their predicaament – these stone steps have become carpeted over the years by moss and mold, and are very slippery. Alice, brandishing her shotgun, is first, followed by Harrison and then Isadora, with Henry bringing up the rear.
OOC,Roll DEXx5. If you succeed, you navigate the steps safely. If not, you tumble for 1d6 HP damage. You can mitigate this if you successfully Jump; you’ll only have to roll 1d3. A critical fail will see you crash into your companion, with disastrous consequences for whomever is in front of you!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:06 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is unarmed this time, so she takes a flashlight, and helps by providing light for the others. However, by doing this, she herself ends up tumbling down the stairs and slicing her leg upon a protruding metal bar!
Roll,DEX 13 x 5 = 60 [dice]0[/dice] Jump 25% [dice]1[/dice] Damage [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice makes it to the bottom of the stairs without difficulty, but then she hears a commotion above her.
OOC,DEX x 5 roll (55% stat) going down the stairs: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I’m going to roll for Harrison and Henry to keep things moving. Harrison DEX 11: x5 55 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/647439]dex[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]50[/b] Henry DEX 9: x5 45 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/647440]dex[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]25[/b]
Despite the slippery, perilous steps, all the companions manage to make it to the basement unscathed, apart from the unfortunate Isadora, who manages to collect a nasty cut from an old piece of metal as she crashes painfully to the floor.

In front of them, somewhat shocked by the entrance, are Harden and the patrolman, who is supporting himself by leaning on Harden’s shoulder.
OOC,Would anyone care to roll First Aid for Isadora and the policeman? I hope innsmouth and Starspawn338 won't desert us in this critical hour.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope you're not too upset with us for coming down here," says Alice, "but we couldn't leave you here. By the time we got help and came back with it, it might have been too late. We're here now, and we can help. I'm the closest thing to a nurse you'll find any time soon." She sets to work treating the various injuries, and while she can't do much for Isadora, she is able to help the policeman a lot. "The element of surprise is lost. If Owen is down here, he'll have heard you."
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating [b]Isadora[/b]'s injury: [dice]0[/dice] First Aid roll (60% skill) treating the policeman's injury: [dice]1[/dice] HP recovered by the policeman: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry First Aid 30 to treat Isadora [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm rolling for starspawn338: Harrison First Aid 30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/647901]First Aid[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b]
The patrolman thanks Alice for bandaging his ankle. “That should keep me in the game” he says. Unfortunately, no-one is able to do much for Isadora – her nasty cut will have to be looked at by a doctor later. But with the initial shock over, the party is able to examine their surroundings.

To the right of the stairs, the main part of the basement ceiling is open to the sky, but large amounts of plant growth mean that the area is poorly lit. The space is empty save for pools of stagnant water on the floor, but along the wall line five earth mounds, approximately six feet in length. At the end is a hole of the same size, next to which lays a heap of freshly dug earth.

“Graves” says Harden, darkly.

To the left, set deep in the wall, is a heavy wooden door. It is old but the hinges and lock are shiny and new. Bright light can be seen shining through the keyhole and from under the door. The dim hum of an engine can be heard from inside the room.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"He's in there!" whispers Henry.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am
by HoneyDog
“We’ll have to break it down” says Harden. “Come on, Fogarty he says to the patrolman.

The two men put their shoulders to the door and start forcing their way in. The door is solid but after a few minutes of determined battering the hinges start to give.

Eventually, the door gives way and the party stumble into the brightly-lit room, to be greeted by a horrific sight. Many shelves line the walls, containing specimen jars filled with various body parts, floating pale and bloodless. At the other end of the room, a furious scowl on his face, stands Claude Owen. He stands at the head of a trestle table, a partially dissected body laying atop it. Next to the table is a large stainless steel garbage can, its blood spattered lid ajar. Also on the table, various medical tools, surgical instruments and lab equipment gleam.

Owen is an unnerving sight. He is streaked in blood and bodily fluids, his skin as pale as the corpse he has been cutting up. His thick glasses magnify his eyes so that they bulge insanely. In his hand is a large scalpel.

“Why have you interrupted my work!” he screams.
OOC,Isadora, Henry and Alice have seen bodies before, but I believe Alice had developed a phobia about bodies. She and Harrison must roll 1/1d3 SAN.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Work? This is madness not research!"

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
It doesn’t seem possible that Owen can get any angrier than he already is, but he raises his scalpel as spittle flies from his lips.

“M – madness?” he shrieks. “My discoveries will change science forever! My name will ring out throughout time! I’ve surpassed that ignorant fool West! I am superior in every way!”

Veins stand out in his neck. The two policemen watch him, their mouths agape.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Get him, before he does something foolish," Isadora urges the policemen. Or her companions...

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice grips her shotgun, ready to fire if Owen tries to attack. "Think about this rationally, Mr. Owen," she says. "There's one of you and six of us. Don't do anything you'll regret. The police have some questions for you. Please put down the scalpel and let's talk about this."

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Owen lowers the scalpel.

"Of course, of course, I realize how this looks. I just need some more time, I'm at a crtical juncture. I can't possibly stop now. I promise I'll come quietly".

"You'll come now, Owen" growls Harden, his pistol raised.

"You don't understand!" cries Owen. "l can't leave. I'll turn my self in tomorrow. I promise!" His tone is beseeching.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're still holding the scalpel," says Alice. "Let go of it, please. Just go with the police. It won't take them long to ask their questions."
OOC,Persuade roll (74% skill) to convince [b]Claude Owen[/b] to come peacefully: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Mr. Handy, Owen is quite insane, rolls won’t work on him. Alice still needs to make a SAN roll, as does Harrison

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:15 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Sanity 80 [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss 1 Current Sanity 79
Harrison has never seen such horror and struggles to take it all in.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

While Alice is shocked by Owen's horrific experiment, she has seen the like before and steels herself.
OOC,Whoops, sorry, forgot to roll! :oops: Sanity roll (current level 63) for seeing the body: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Alice still loses one SAN.
"I will never give up my work!" Owen shouts. "And you won't stop me!"

Before the policemen or the companions can react,Owen kicks over the steel rubbish bin next to him.

What emerges is truly the stuff of nightmares. The cast-offs of Owen's experiments - loose arms, legs, hands, entrails and even a few torsos with or without their heads still attach writhe their way towards the heroes. It is a sickening sight, and they recoil in horror. Owen shrieks with glee.
OOC,Everyone must roll SAN. Even if you succeed, you lose one point. If you fail, roll 1d6+1 for loss.You will then be set upon by the Parts. Roll 1d4 so we can see how many you will be attacked by. After you do that we'll sort out the combat round.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:40 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry tries to shield Alice as the body parts attack!
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 71 [dice]0[/dice] Body parts[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Rolls,SAN 60 [dice]0[/dice] Body parts attacking: [dice]1[/dice]
Isadora is reminded of her training as an artist. They would draw plaster casts of separated hands, legs, heads... Well, she'll never be able to do that again without thinking about the abminations now hopping before her eyes!!!!!

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Sanity 79 [dice]0[/dice] Number of body parts [dice]1[/dice] Sanity loss 1 Current Sanity 78
Harrison thought the original scene was bad enough but when the body parts began to move toward him, he shrieks involuntarily. Quickly bringing himself under control, he decides that his pistol would be of little help against reanimated limbs so he holsters it and pulls out his hatchet instead.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice screams in terror as four of the body parts drag themselves towards her. Coming to her senses quickly, she levels her shotgun at them, hoping to catch them all in the spread.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 62) for seeing the parts: [dice]0[/dice] Number of parts coming towards me: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:54 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It would be easiest if you all handle your combat individually, and I'll do the policemen. This means rolling for the parts which are attacking you. I trust you all! Here are the stats: STR 12, CON 06, SIZ 02, HP 04, DEX 16, MOV 07. Damage bonus +1d6 Attack: claw/bite/choke/bludgeon 50%, damage 1d3. If they launch a successful attack, they will hang on until forced off. You'll need a successful STR vs STR roll on the resistance table. Until they are removed, they inflict 1 damage each turn. Good luck! Is this arrangement acceptable? Or would you prefer me to roll for the parts? I'm away from home right now so this would be a little more convenient and quick.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:19 pm
by Starspawn338
Combat,I'm fine with rolling both parts. Let me know if I do anything incorrectly as this is my first time running a combat online. Body Part Dex 16 goes first (2 attacks at 50) [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] 1 hit Damage [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] Total damage 4 Current Hit points 8 My attack 50 [dice]4[/dice] Hit (Damage 1d6+1) [dice]5[/dice]
An arm and a torso with a mutilated head barely attached move to attack Harrison. He steps to the side and swings his hatchet down onto the skull, stopping the body from moving any closer. However, the arm still manages to grab onto his leg, digging its jagged fingernails through his pants leg and into his flesh. Harrison shouts in pain.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Great description Starspawn338! I enjoyed reading that. Can Harrison remove the offending arm?

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:51 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Would the opposed Str check happen the same round as the attack? I assumed that we both made attacks in the first round and any Str v. Str to dislodge the limb would happen in the next round.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

A severed leg hops its way towards Alice, but she blasts it to bits with the first barrel from her shotgun. Before she can fire again, a hand crawls onto her leg, dragging her to the ground, and then a limbless torso crushes her.
OOC,I'm assuming we're at point blank range (11 feet for me) if the parts are close enough to attack us this round. If not, please let me know. If we're within 10 yards, I can only hit one of them per barrel for 4D6 damage (guaranteed kill if I hit), unless you rule that they're close enough together that I can get multiple hits. If we're over 10 yards away, my shotgun can hit 1D3 targets for 2D6 damage each. Hitting multiple targets is probably the only chance I have. I think we may all be toast here. We just rolled too many of them, and they cause too much damage with that initial hit. I at least get to fire my first barrel before they attack, and my second after they do in the same round if I'm not down yet. Shotgun roll (43 x 2 = 86% skill, point blank), shooting at a part, first barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to first part: [dice]1[/dice] Second part's attack (50% chance): [dice]2[/dice] Third part's attack (50% chance): [dice]3[/dice] Damage to me: [dice]5[/dice]+[dice]6[/dice] Fourth part's attack (50% chance): [dice]4[/dice] Damage to me: [dice]7[/dice]+[dice]8[/dice] The first hit did 4 damage to me, and the second did 7, dropping me to 2 points, which is automatic unconsciousness. I'll also take 2 automatic damage next round and be at 0 hit points and dying, and dead the round after.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:29 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry is mobbed by angry limbs and wrestled violently to the ground. He turns to Alice and splutters something earnest that no one can make out.
Spoiler:
Body part 1 attack 50 [dice]0[/dice]
Body part 2 attack 50 [dice]1[/dice]
Body part 3 attack 50 [dice]2[/dice]
Body part 4 attack 50 [dice]3[/dice]

Damage [dice]4[/dice][dice]5[/dice][dice]6[/dice][dice]7[/dice]

Not sure what being on minus one hit points means but it can't be good ..

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am
by evil_scientist
OOC: some quick rule lawyering before we get a TPK!! Guys & gals, if these are considered hand-to-hand (pun intended, the rulebook calls them "Personal attacks"), then we get the option to Dodge or Parry! One Parry per combat round, at half % of the weapon skill. You can Parry and Dodge on the same round. If you Dodge, you cannot attack, but I don't see any limitations on how many times can you Dodge on one round.
6th ed. rulebook, p. 58, 59, 60

HoneyDog, are these viable options?

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:54 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,If I could offer an opinion, the worst part about them is their +1d6 on the initial attack. I don't have my 6th Ed book with me at work but I have a 7th Ed PDF available and in 7th Ed, with a 2 size and a 12 Str, their modifier in hand to hand combat would be -1. Even if you just removed the +1d6, it would give us a fighting chance.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Goodness! Things have certainly got serious. Yes, maximize your chances. Let's give Alice a chance to use her shotgun spread, and of course you can roll to dodge or parry. You will have to pull them off in the next round but please try and dodge their attack now before you take damage. The strength of their initial attack is based on the savagery engendered by the re-animating serum. I don't want you all to die, so if you feel it would be fairer we could remove the +1 on their attack. Sorry I don't have my rules with me, so please feel free to give help and advice. I won't be back home until Monday so I have to rely on you guys. I will roll for the police later.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Starspawn is right. The problem seems to be a simple mistake in the scenario that turns what should be a manageable encounter into a probable TPK. The parts should not have a +1D6 damage bonus. Maybe the scenario author meant to write -1D6, which would be more fitting but still not correct. The parts have a STR of 12 and a SIZ of 2, for a total of 14. They would need 12 or less to get a -1D6 damage bonus, but a total of 14 is a -1D4 damage bonus in 6th edition. If that's the case, I don't think any other alterations need to be made. The one part that hit [b]Harrison[/b] should actually deal either 0 or 1 damage, depending on whether the 1D4 he would have to roll is more than 1 or not. Or you could just have the DB be -1D6, in which case he takes 0 damage as his 1D6 roll is subtracted rather than added. It may be better for him in that case to hit the part that latched onto him, so that it no longer deals automatic damage, but it would be up to him. The two parts that hit me would both do 0 damage no matter what, as both of my 1D3 rolls are 1s. Likewise, the parts that hit [b]Henry[/b] would deal far less damage: 0 or 1 for the first one, and 0, 1, or 2 for the second (or 0 for both if the DB is -1D6). Unfortunately, under the rules as written I cannot get my shotgun to spread among multiple targets. If they were over 10 yards away, I'd be able to do 2D6 damage to each of 1D3 targets if I hit. However, my roll would have missed outside of point blank range, which would leave me in an even worse situation. I also do not have the luxury of trying to Dodge, as I already attacked. Neither can I really parry. Unless you're skilled in Martial Arts, you have to declare at the start of the round which opponent you intend to parry. I didn't do that, but if I had, I probably would have parried the second part, which missed anyway, as I was shooting at the first and expected to probably destroy it (which I did). I couldn't parry with the shotgun anyway, as I can't parry and fire it in the same round, nor can I parry with Fist/Punch, as I'm holding it in both hands. I suppose I could parry with my leg, but even if I could parry one of the two that hit me, I'd still only have a 25% chance to block it. If I am still conscious, that means I get to fire my second shotgun barrel in the first round, after I'm attacked. That gives me a chance to take out one of the parts that grabbed me. Then in round two the remaining parts will get to go before me, as my shotgun will then be empty.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:01 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Don't touch me! Get away from me!" Isadora screams as three severed parts crawl towards her, like flesh colored nightmare spiders. She tries to avoid them at all cost, while trying to back off towards the stairs.

Combat,Attack #1 [dice]0[/dice] Attack #2 [dice]1[/dice] Attack #3 [dice]2[/dice] Dodge 33% #1 [dice]3[/dice] Dodge 33% #2 [dice]4[/dice] Dodge 33% #3 [dice]5[/dice] One hit, damage [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice]
Edit: damage reduction
[dice]9[/dice]

She successfully avoids two attacks, but the third arm grabs her throat...
Resistance table,7 vs 12 25% [dice]8[/dice]
Isadora is unable to peel it off!

But hopefully she reaches the stairs and starts to climb them. She cannot stay in this accursed basement!

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Let's make the parts damage bonus -1d4 then, to make the game more survivable. Is that okay with you all? Sorry, I didn't realise the problem, I'm still knew to this.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Correction on damage -1d4 [dice]0[/dice] Original damage as 2 - 1 so 1 point Resistance (7 vs 12) 25 [dice]1[/dice] Attack with hatchet 50 [dice]2[/dice] Damage from Limb attached to him 1 Current hit points 10
Harrison attempts to pull the detached arm off but he is unable to pry the wretched thing's fingers from his leg. He winces in pain as it continues to dig into him. Swinging his hatchet at it, he fears hitting himself and misses wide.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice presses the second barrel of the shotgun against the torso and pulls the trigger, blasting it into meaty chunks and showering herself with blood and viscera. Try as she might, though, she cannot dislodge the hand that has gripped her leg.
OOC,Yes, that sounds good to me. It wasn't your fault. It sounds like there was a minor typo in the scenario text that was very hard to notice and made a huge difference. Since I got 1s on both of my 1D3s, I won't bother to roll the -1D4s, as they're guaranteed to cause no damage. I'm not sure at what point I roll STR vs. STR on the Resistance Table, but I'll do it now. If it applies in the second round, then it can be used then. We can still take regular actions in that round, right? Shotgun roll (43 x 2 = 86% skill, point blank), shooting at the torso, second barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to torso from 12-gauge shotgun shell: [dice]2[/dice] Resistance Table roll (STR 8 vs. STR 12: 30% chance) to get the hand off of me: [dice]1[/dice] I guess I'll be taking 1 damage from the part that's still on me. Does that take effect in round two?

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Okay, let's adjust your earlier posts with the updated damage bonus. Hopefully your survival will increase. All resistance rolls and any resulting damage will take affect from round 2.
Harden rolls,SAN 60 -1 from witnessing lab: 59 From seeing Parts: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652002]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]50[/b] -1 = 58 1d4 parts: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652003]Parts[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]4[/b] Part attack 1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652005]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]76[/b] Part attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652006]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] Part attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652008]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]92[/b]
Thanks to his years of experience, the effects of witnessing this awful scene have a minimal affect on Harden, although he is still badly shaken. He is beset by 4 of the vile crawling body parts. Thankfully, none are able to gain any purchase on him as he moves out the way. One, an errant hand, in its homicidal eagerness to attack, accidentally seizes another limb, preventing its assault.

Steeling himself, he takes aim with his .45 and fires.
Harden,.45 Revolver 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652010]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]70[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652011]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]64[/b] Damage: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652013]Damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]8[/b]+2 = 10
The first shot misses, but his second finds its mark, and a hand is blown into chunks of flesh, which twitch uncontrollably.
Fogarty rolls,SAN 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652014]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]41[/b] -1 59 SAN on seeing the Parts: 59 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652015]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]85[/b] SAN loss 1d6+1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652017]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]6[/b] 7 Idea 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652018]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b] Temporary Insanity 1d10+4: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652019]Temp SAN loss duration[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]4[/b] 8 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652020]Type of insanity[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]10[/b]: Stupor Parts attack: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652021]Parts[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]4[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652106]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]22[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652107]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]12[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652108]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]7[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652109]Attack 4[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]76[/b]
Patrolman Fogarty is less experienced, but the sight of the room doesn’t affect him too badly. However the sight of 4 body parts crawling towards him is too much for the young cop. He sinks to his knees, his eyes opaque, and then collapses to the ground, hugging himself. The body parts crawl over him, and begin to squeeze…
OOC,I think poor Fogarty is probably done for. When all of the previous attacks have been updated, let's begin round 2. Good luck - we don't seem to have had much so far!

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:29 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,My post before this included my Round 2 actions. I jumped the gun a bit but now I'll wait for everyone to catch up.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:09 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No problem. It's just evil_scientist and innsmouth to adjust and then we'll keep moving.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
New damage bonus

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

So Henry takes no damage

Resistance rolls at 40 to remove
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]

Henry Knife 25 [dice]4[/dice]
Henry is attacked by two limbs - he shakes off one and tries in vain to stab the other one with his pocket knife
Spoiler:
Do I lose A HP now?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,I added the new damage bonus (that is, minus) to m original post. Isadora takes no dsmage fromthat attack, but she has a limb grabbing her.
Isadora Carmichael
Rolls galore,R[b]esistance table roll 25%[/b] [dice]0[/dice] [b]Attack #1[/b] [dice]1[/dice] [b]Attack #2[/b] [dice]2[/dice] [b]Dodge 33% against #1[/b] [dice]3[/dice] [b]Damage[/b] [dice]4[/dice] Minus [dice]5[/dice]
Isadora runs up the stairs, followed by two limbs... One misses, the second hits, but doesn't cause any significant pain.

However, despite all her efforts, Isadora cannot get rid of the hand choking her!!

She wants to reach one of the cars, and lock herself inside...

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,Yes, he loses an HP.
The three remaining body parts come at Harden again.
Harden Rolls,Attack 1 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652405]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b] Attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652408]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b] Attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652409]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]65[/b] Attack 1 damage: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652410]Attack 1 damage[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]3[/b] Attack 2 damage: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652412]Attack 2 damage[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]2[/b] HP 14 -5: 11
Harden grunts in pain as teeth sink into his thigh and a strong hand grasps his testicles. He aims his revolver again, hoping to destroy the attackers bent on tearing him apart.
Harden attack,Revolver 65 (point blank range): [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652415]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]97[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652417]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]43[/b] Damage 1: 1d10+2 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652418]Damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]3[/b] 5 Damage 2: 1d10+2 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652421]Damage 2[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]9[/b] 11
The offending head and arm disappear in a cloud of red mist. Harden gasps in relief as the pain in his groin abates. He's thankful that it wasn't the head which attacked his sensitive parts.
OOC:   I think round 2 is taken care of, lets see if we'll survive round 3.  

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry starts the round on 12 hit points

First part attack [dice]0[/dice]

Second part attack [dice]1[/dice]

Damage [dice]2[/dice] minus [dice]3[/dice]

Resistance to attached part 40 [dice]4[/dice]

Knife to attached part 25 [dice]5[/dice]

Damage to part [dice]6[/dice]

Henry loses another HP due to attached part so finished on 10 hp
The attached arm begins to crush Henry. He stabs home with his pocket knife but the wound is not enough to destroy the enraged limb. The other limb swings wildly at him but misses.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:18 pm
by Starspawn338
Round 3,Resistance to remove hand 25 [dice]0[/dice] Attack with Hatchet 50 [dice]1[/dice] Damage [dice]2[/dice] Current hit points 10
Harrison manages to pull the reanimated arm off his leg and holding it with one hand, he swings his hatchet down and severs its fingers. Standing up, he kicks it across the room in disgust and looks around to see if anyone needs help.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:31 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Rolls,Resistance table roll 25% [dice]0[/dice] Attack #1 [dice]1[/dice] Attack #2 [dice]2[/dice] Dodge #1 [dice]3[/dice] Damage [dice]4[/dice] - [dice]5[/dice]
Isadora successfully evades attacks on her way up the stairs, but the loose arm continues to choke her.

Hopefully she reaches the cars. Her plan is to open a door and SLAM it shut against the arm that's torturing her!
HoneyDog,is this possible? What should I roll?

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:00 am
by HoneyDog
evil_scientist,Roll DEX x3. If successful, the arm will come loose first try. A critical success will mangle it.
The last assailant, a collection of slithering, slimy intestines, rolls its way towards Harden and attempts to ensnare him.
Harden,Parts 4 attack 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652589]Attack 4[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]58[/b]
He is able to avoid their attack, and dispatches the foul mess with the last two shots from his revolver.
Harden Revolver,Revolver 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652590]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]60[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652591]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]97[/b] Damage 1d10+2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652592]Damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]6[/b] 8
Although the second shot misses, the first powerful slug disperses the intestines around the cellar, adding to the bloody carnage.
OOC,End of round 3 for Harden. He will reload in the next round.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice shrieks in agony as the hand claws its way up her leg, slicing furrows in her calf. At the same time, the severed head that had missed her before clamps its teeth on her side. In desperation, she breaks open the shotgun, hastily slides in a shell, and slams it shut. Then she presses the barrel up against the head and blasts it to bits. The hand crawls over her knee and gouges her thigh. She looks on in horror as it burrows under her skirt. "Nononogetoffgetoff!" she screams, reloading a fresh shell. She shoves the shotgun barrel against the hand, holding it sideways so that the blast will hit the hand but not her leg. Pulling the trigger one more time, she pulverizes the grasping hand before it can reach anything sensitive. Her leg is gashed, her stocking and the fabric of her skirt ruined, and she is covered with blood and gore, but she has survived the onslaught relatively intact.
OOC,Wait, I haven't done round 2 yet! I thought I had to wait until everyone else finished updating their damage from round 1, and that didn't happen until today. I'll do that now, and then round 3. By the way, [b]Harden[/b]'s first shot in round 1 should have hit, as it was point blank range. Also, the parts' attacks against him in round 2 should be 1D3-1D4 damage, not 1D4. He shouldn't take more than 1 damage in round 2 from those two hits, and he probably won't even take that. In the first round, I fired both barrels from my shotgun, one at a time. I fired the first barrel in the firearms portion of the round, since I had it ready, and the second barrel in the melee portion, after the parts attacked since they have better DEX than I do. You can reload both barrels in the same round, but that's it, or you can reload a single barrel and then fire it in the same round, but only in the melee portion (again after the parts). Part's attack (50% chance), Round 2: [dice]0[/dice] Damage from part: [dice]1[/dice]-[dice]2[/dice] That causes 0 damage. The other part that grabbed me last round does 1 automatic damage, dropping me to 12 HP. Shotgun roll (43 x 2 = 86% skill) shooting at a part, point blank, Round 2: [dice]3[/dice] Damage to part: [dice]4[/dice] In Round 3 I take 1 automatic damage again from the last part, dropping me to 11 HP. Shotgun roll (43 x 2 = 86% skill) shooting at a part, point blank, Round 3: [dice]5[/dice] Damage to part: [dice]6[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:02 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Mr. H! I got carried away with the excitement. Let's take stock: Harden and Harrison have succeeded in destroying their attackers, while Henry is still being attacked by 1. Isadora is still being attacked and has fled outside. This is all round 3. In round 2, Alice has destroyed her attackers. So perhaps for her round 3 she could assist Henry? There are still the 4 parts attacking Fogarty which will need to be disposed of. I think this is an accurate picture.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's okay, I'm caught up now. My post covers both rounds 2 and 3, so I'll have to wait until round 4 to help. The others may have also completed round 3. I think [b]Fogarty[/b] needs help the most.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:57 am
by HoneyDog
Fogarty,As Fogarty is unable to defend himself, all attacks on him will succeed. HP 15 Round 1 Attack 1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652606]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] Attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652607]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]2[/b] Attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652608]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] (Only 3 attacked in this round). HP 11 Round 2 Attack 1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652609]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] Attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652610]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] Attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652611]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] Attack 4: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652612]Attack 4[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]3[/b] HP 5 Round 3 Attack 1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652613]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]2[/b] Attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652615]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]2[/b] Fogarty is beyond help. In the next round, the Parts will begin to attack the other companions.
OOC:   So I think we can now begin round 4. The parts attacking Fogarty will now seek new prey...  
Harden dumps the spent rounds from his revolver and inserts an autoloader. As he does so, he turns to look at Owen, who is surveying the carnage with undisguised glee.

“You son of a bitch!” Harden roars, his face a mask of fury. “I’ll kill you!”

One of the body parts attacking Fogarty have finished their dreadful handiwork, and the young officer lays still, the life mostly choked out of him. The part begins to crawl rapidly towards Harden, intent on making him their next victim.
Parts attack,Attack 1 50: Attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652618]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]38[/b] Damage 1d3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652620]Parts damage[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]1[/b] Harden HP 11
The attack connects, and Harden again finds his bruised testes to be the object of some very unwanted attention. He roars in agony, but manages to get his revolver shut.
OOC,Harden will take automatic damage from the Part in the next round.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I thought the parts, once they latched on, did 1 automatic damage per round each, not 1D3. In the round they actually succeed at their attacks, they do 1D3-1D4 damage. This is the case for the three that hit him in Round 1, and the one that hits him for the first time in Round 2. [b]Fogarty[/b] probably shouldn't be dead yet. In Round 4, I won't be able to act until after parts do.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes you’re right, I’d forgotten. It means that one part attacks Harden, but the other 3 finish him off. So there is one part on Henry, one on Harden and 3 on Fogarty. But he’ll be dead before you can save him. I edited the above post.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Round three for Henry

Free part attack [dice]0[/dice]
Attached part attack [dice]1[/dice]
Resistance 40 [dice]2[/dice]
Henry knife to attached part 25 [dice]3[/dice]
Damage [dice]4[/dice]
Henry stabs the attached limb again and it falls to the floor. The other limb thrashed wildly towards him as he backs away.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,Henry suffers an automatic 1 HP loss due to the attached part, it doesn't need to roll attack (as Mr. H reminded me.) But now it's off, so Henry is in round 4 with one remaining part to deal with. Hopefully his friends will come to his aid!

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:12 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Rolls,[b]Dex x3 39%[/b] [dice]0[/dice] [b]Attack #1[/b] [dice]1[/dice] [b]Attack #2[/b] [dice]2[/dice] [b]Dodge 33%[/b] [dice]3[/dice]
The hand choking Isadora is caught in the car door, and finally lets go! The other limbs are still grabbing and clawing at her... But unsuccessfully. Isadora wants to gain "high ground", and tries to climb on top of the car. Hopefully even the blasphemous mobility of the severed limbs' won't allow them to follow! She screams again, for the others to hear: "I'm here, I'm outside! The things are following me!"

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
Everyone,Everyone please roll Listen. If you succeed, you'll hear Isadora's cries.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice hears Isadora's cries.
OOC,Someone reduced to 0 or fewer HP doesn't officially die until the end of the following round, which is this one. Can I use First Aid to try to save [b]Fogarty[/b]? Listen roll (65% skill) to hear [b]Isadora[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:38 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Alice will be attacked by Parts before she would be able to help Fogarty. She would probably be better off helping to destroy the ones attacking the others.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Isadora ran back upstairs!" calls Alice as she pulls herself upright and puts another shell in her shotgun. "She needs help!" She closes the shotgun and blasts at the limb attacking Henry, only narrowly missing.
OOC,Shotgun roll (43% x 2 = 86% skill) shooting at the part attacking [b]Henry[/b], point blank: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:08 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Round 4 which Henry starts with 9 Hp

Body part attack [dice]0[/dice]

Henry knife 25 [dice]1[/dice]
The limb flails at Henry. Henry flails at the limb. Alice's shotgun blast explodes between them.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll roll for Harrison to keep things moving. Hatchet 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653660]Hatchet[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]77[/b]
Harrison takes a swing at the body part attacking Henry but misses. His hatchet creates sparks as it hits the stone floor. Owen guffaws in the background.
OOC:   I believe that takes us to round 5!  

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Again Alice swiftly loads and fires a shell. This time her aim is better, and the limb is obliterated.
OOC,Shotgun roll (43% x 2 = 86% skill) shooting at the part attacking [b]Henry[/b], point blank: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to part: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:43 am
by HoneyDog
Harden,Takes 1 point of damage from attached Part: 10 Parts attack 50! Attack 1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653936]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]52[/b] Attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653937]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]86[/b] Attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653938]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]71[/b] Harden on attached part - revolver 65 (point blank: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653939]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b] Damage 1d10+2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653940]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]2[/b] 4 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653941]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]45[/b] Damage 1d10+2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/653942]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]7[/b]
The other remaining Parts go for Harden, but he is squirming around too much in agony for them to connect. He manages to blast the arm attached to his groin to pieces without blowing his own balls off, and then shoots one of his other attackers.
OOC,There are two remaining parts in the cellar now.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm
by Starspawn338
Round 5,Listen 25 [dice]0[/dice] Attack 50 [dice]1[/dice] Damage [dice]2[/dice]
Harrison moves over to one of the remaining body parts that is still attacking Harden and swings his hatchet but only manages to deal a glancing blow. His heart is pumping so loudly in his chest that he cannot hear Isadora's shouts from outside. He hears Alice shout but has no comprehension of her words as they blend into the rest of the chaos of fighting and shouting and screams of pain in the basement.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:27 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Question,So theoretically Isadora is now on top of a car. Can the parts reach her?

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:33 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry Listen 30 [dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Knife attack to bidy oart 25 [dice]1[/dice]
Damage [dice]2[/dice]
Henry fails to hear Isadora over the commotion. He rushes to help destroy the remaining body parts.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:11 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Isadora is safe for now, but she'll have to remain on top of the car unless she can somehow destroy her attackers, or until someone comes to help her. There are two remaining parts in the cellar, and of course you'll have to interact with Owen in some way.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:16 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora remains on top of the car... She curses herself for her cowardice, but she has no weapons.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:59 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Round 6!  
The two remain body parts renew their attack on Harden.
Harden,Attack 1 50: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654457]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]79[/b] Attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654458]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b]
By now he has their measure and is able to keep out of their way. He takes aim and fires.
Harden,Revolver 65 point blank: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654459]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]84[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654460]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]7[/b] Damage 1d10+2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654461]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]10[/b]12 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654462]Firearms damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]10[/b] 12
Both of the parts are obliterated. Harden lowers his gun, breathing heavily. He turns to face Owen.
OOC,Success! All the Parts in the cellar have been dealt with. Isadora still needs help, and you will have Owen to contend with.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go help Isadora," says Alice, breaking open the shotgun and reloading two fresh shells into it before closing it as she makes her way carefully back upstairs.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:07 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

For the first time in her adventures, Isadora is a damsel in distress...

She won't leave the house without her trusty alien freeze ray again.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,First Aid 30 [dice]0[/dice] I'm assuming he is dead but I have to check.
Harrison straightens up as the last of the gruesome body parts ceases their attacks. He's standing next to Patrolman Fogarty who is lying still. He kneels and checks for a pulse. Finding none, he looks over at Owen.

"My God, what have you done? You've killed this man for what? You are insane!

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:32 am
by HoneyDog
Owen laughs. “He got a little too much love from my pets”.

As well as the scalpel in his hand, Owen is now holding a large syringe containing a strange, translucent liquid.

Without warning, he raises both hands and drags the scalpel across his own throat. With his arteries cut, blood spurts across the room and over the horrified investigators. Although his head sags, he manages to plunge the syringe into himself.
Harrison & Henry,Roll SAN 1/1d3 at this latest horror. Even if you succeed, you still lose 1 point. You won't be able to act before Owen.
Harden,SAN 58: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/654737]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]30[/b] Now 57.
Harden recoils in shock and disgust at witnessing Owen’s brutal suicide.

Meanwhile, Alice gets outside and can see Isadora on top of the police car, with the two body parts trying to get up to her.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 70 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,Henry still loses 1 SAN, despite this fine roll.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:21 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Sanity 78 [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] Current Sanity 77
The sight of Owen killing himself is horrifying. Harrison stands there aghast.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,How far away from the parts am I? It matters a lot for a shotgun.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Mr. Handy - about 20 metres.
Owen is still standing, despite losing so much blood. His body starts to twitch, and then convulse. His head shakes violently, splashing even more blood around. Then he screams. There is no sign of awareness or intelligence in his eyes anymore.

Seeing the investigators, he launches himself at them, his limbs flailing. Harden is first in his way.
Attack,Scalpel 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/655170]Scalpel[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]10[/b]
Luckily, Harden is able to break out of his stupor, and sidesteps at the last second.
Dodge,Dodge 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/655171]Dodge[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]11[/b]
OOC,Henry and Harrison can attack now.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice levels the shotgun at the parts and advances a little until she is twenty yards away, then discharges one barrel, blowing away one of the two remaining parts.
OOC,Shotgun roll (43% skill) shooting at the parts, medium range, first barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Number of parts hit (maximum of 2): [dice]1[/dice] Damage to part, medium range: [dice]2[/dice] I get to fire the second barrel in the melee portion of the same round, but after the part goes. Does it come towards me? If so, how far away is it before I can fire the second barrel?

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:19 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Handgun 47 [dice]0[/dice]
Harrison does not want to move any closer to the thing that was Owen. He pulls out his pistol and shoots but his hands are still shaking and he misses.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Mr. Handy - the Part will come towards Alice, and should only be a few meters away. Star spawn - you have another shot.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 am
by Mr. Handy

The last remaining part, an arm, drags itself across the ground toward Alice with astounding speed. When it is a mere ten feet away, she discharges the second barrel and blows it into oblivion. "You can come down now, Isadora," says Alice."I think that's the last of them."
OOC,Shotgun roll (43% x 2 = 86% skill) shooting at the part, point blank, second barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to part from 12-gauge shotgun shell, short range: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:54 am
by Starspawn338
Second Shot,Attack 47 [dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice]
Harrison's second shot doesn't miss.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora slides down from the car and hugs Alice. "Oh god, Alice, thank you! Those awful things...

"Where are the others? Tell me they are alright!"
she adds, suddenly fearing for the lives of the others, still down in the basement.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're quite welcome. Our friends are okay and still down there," says Alice, hugging Isadora back. "So is Harden, but the other policeman...those things tore him to pieces. We took care of them, it's just Owen left down there. Come on, let's go lend a hand." She reloads her shotgun again as she makes her way back to the stairs.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,All those possible puns...
Isadora Carmichael
Mr. Handy wrote: "Come on, let's go lend a hand."
Isadora doesn't want to go unarmed, so she checks in the car: maybe there is a tire iron or a crowbar, or something similar she can utilize as a weapon.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora finds Fogarty’s nightstick wedged in the door.
OOC,We just need to wait for Henry to act.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry knife attack on Owens 25 [dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Harrison’s shot hits the mark, and Henry quickly nips in and plunges his knife into Owen’s neck. He staggers, but renews his attack on Harden.
Attack,Scalpel 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/656356]Scalpel[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]47[/b]
Harden once again manages to desperately twist out of the way.
Dodge,Dodge 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/656357]Dodge[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]54[/b]
OOC,Alice and Isadora cannot attack until the next round.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:16 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Aimed shot 98 [dice]0[/dice] Damage [dice]1[/dice]
As Henry joins the fray with Owen and Harden, Harrison carefully aims and only shoots once but is rewarded with an excellent shot.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,That will do it!
Harrison’s accurate shot slams into the back of Owen’s head. It disappears in a cloud of red mist and bone, and Owen crumples to the floor, his limbs twitching spasmodically. But eventually, he lays still.
OOC,The nightmare is over!

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:25 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison stares at what is left of Owen and feels sick. He looks for a place to sit down but sees nothing in the chaos and blood of the basement.
Stumbling towards the stairs, he runs into Alice and Isadora.

"Thank god you're both okay."

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"We... we must make sure he doesn't come back to life..." Isadora whispers. She cannot avert her eyes from Owens' body.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:24 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry hugs Alice holding her close then turns to Isadora.

"What do you suggest?"

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:25 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions are interrupted by Harden.

Patrolman Fogarty is dead” he announces solemnly. ”I don’t think Owen will be troubling us anymore, but keep an eye on his body. I’m going for a phone to get some help. Better not disturb anything further”.
OOC,Anything to say to Harden before he goes?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry about Patrolman Fogarty," says Alice. "If you need to talk about what happened later, about understanding it and coping with it, we're there for you. We've all been through it."

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:23 am
by evil_scientist
innsmouth wrote:Henry Glynn

Henry hugs Alice holding her close then turns to Isadora.

"What do you suggest?"
"Burning it... But we cannot do that. It's evidence, and we don't want to get in trouble. I think the police will take care of it."

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

" You've seen some strange things Harden. It's hard to take in. There is the question of evidence and investigation but it might be safest to do as Mrs Carmichael suggests."

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Harden shakes his head firmly and raises his hand. He raises his voice.

“What we’ve just seen is beyond anything in my experience. If someone tried to persuade me of it, I wouldn’t believe them. That’s why we need to preserve everything we’ve found here. Do you understand? Destroying anything will make it much harder to explain what happened here.”

He relaxes a little. “You’ve all been incredible, beyond anything I could have expected. But I must ask you to hold the fort just a little longer. Watch Owen, and er… anything else. I’ll be back with the others, as soon as I can.”

He pauses, and hands his Colt to Henry. “Just in case. Fogarty has one too, if you need it.”

Making sure that no-one needs urgent medical attention, he leaves, although somewhat slowly, owing to his badly bruised scrotum.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison listens numbly to what is being said without comment.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice sits down and sets about bandaging her leg, resting her shotgun beside her. "I need a bath," she says.
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating her first injury: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:45 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora tries her hands at medical aid, but she is too upset, unable to concentrate.

First Aid 30%
[dice]0[/dice]

She feels VERY uncomfortable here in the basement. She keeps close to the others.

"I wish we could burn it all... But they, the police, they would use that against us. I... I haven't told anyone about this before... but..." she whispers to Alice, "I got into trouble with the police before. Me and my friend, Norman Owens (he was with us at the Tunnel), we were investigating a haunted house, an awful place... We burned it to the ground. He had to flee the country. The police tried to pin it on me, but they didn't have any proof. But what I've learnt, is that they never believe it's for the better to put these abomiations to flame."

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You're right, we have to leave everything intact," says Alice, "but look at it this way. Now we have a friend with the police, one who knows the truth because he's seen it for himself."

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:24 am
by HoneyDog
After about 30 minutes Harden returns, and presently more police and an ambulance arrive. Their shock and disbelief at the amount of blood and gore is evident, but they set to work tending the companion’s wounds and collecting evidence.

The investigators are taken to the police station in Arkham and questioned for several hours, but are not suspected as complicit in Owen’s crimes. In fact, thanks to Harden’s testimony, they are held in high regard by the authorities for their role in stopping Owen. Eventually, exhausted, they are able to rest.

Over the next few days and weeks, more meetings occur with Arkham’s police, medical authorities, and senior faculty of the University. It is agreed that the real events will be kept hidden, their implications being judged too awful to reveal. An official statement is released ruling Frank Charlton’s death as a suicide, and Claude Owen is reported as having left the University. His body, and the other remains found in the cellar are cremated. The bodies which Owen had used for his vile experiments are never identified; they are believed to be transients and therefore unlikely to be missed. The companions are asked to keep the details of these horrific events confidential.

Owen’s notes are discovered in his makeshift laboratory. They detail the steps he took in his reanimation experiments. In order to prevent them falling into the wrong hands, they are given to Dr. Henry Armitage, and confined to the restricted collection of the Miskatonic University Library.

Thus, the mystery behind the fate of Frank Charlton is solved, and a dangerous lunatic has been stopped. Despite the nightmares which will undoubtedly follow, the companions have their sanity and health, with their reputations enhanced.

Henry is offered the freedom of the University Library (apart from the Restricted Collection). Alice is offered the opportunity to take up post-graduate studies if she wishes, while Harrison is given a semester’s worth of free tuition, for which he is grateful. Isadora renews and continues her acquaintance with Margaret Hannigan, which becomes a friendship based on shared artistic interests.

The friendless, unpopular Claude Owen is barely missed. In time, he will be forgotten by everyone. We can only hope that the formula for reanimating dead tissue, the cause of so much suffering, will be forgotten with him.

End