Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice makes it to the bottom of the stairs without difficulty, but then she hears a commotion above her.
OOC,DEX x 5 roll (55% stat) going down the stairs: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I’m going to roll for Harrison and Henry to keep things moving. Harrison DEX 11: x5 55 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/647439]dex[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]50[/b] Henry DEX 9: x5 45 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/647440]dex[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]25[/b]
Despite the slippery, perilous steps, all the companions manage to make it to the basement unscathed, apart from the unfortunate Isadora, who manages to collect a nasty cut from an old piece of metal as she crashes painfully to the floor.

In front of them, somewhat shocked by the entrance, are Harden and the patrolman, who is supporting himself by leaning on Harden’s shoulder.
OOC,Would anyone care to roll First Aid for Isadora and the policeman? I hope innsmouth and Starspawn338 won't desert us in this critical hour.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I hope you're not too upset with us for coming down here," says Alice, "but we couldn't leave you here. By the time we got help and came back with it, it might have been too late. We're here now, and we can help. I'm the closest thing to a nurse you'll find any time soon." She sets to work treating the various injuries, and while she can't do much for Isadora, she is able to help the policeman a lot. "The element of surprise is lost. If Owen is down here, he'll have heard you."
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating [b]Isadora[/b]'s injury: [dice]0[/dice] First Aid roll (60% skill) treating the policeman's injury: [dice]1[/dice] HP recovered by the policeman: [dice]2[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 12 years

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Henry First Aid 30 to treat Isadora [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I'm rolling for starspawn338: Harrison First Aid 30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/647901]First Aid[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b]
The patrolman thanks Alice for bandaging his ankle. “That should keep me in the game” he says. Unfortunately, no-one is able to do much for Isadora – her nasty cut will have to be looked at by a doctor later. But with the initial shock over, the party is able to examine their surroundings.

To the right of the stairs, the main part of the basement ceiling is open to the sky, but large amounts of plant growth mean that the area is poorly lit. The space is empty save for pools of stagnant water on the floor, but along the wall line five earth mounds, approximately six feet in length. At the end is a hole of the same size, next to which lays a heap of freshly dug earth.

“Graves” says Harden, darkly.

To the left, set deep in the wall, is a heavy wooden door. It is old but the hinges and lock are shiny and new. Bright light can be seen shining through the keyhole and from under the door. The dim hum of an engine can be heard from inside the room.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"He's in there!" whispers Henry.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“We’ll have to break it down” says Harden. “Come on, Fogarty he says to the patrolman.

The two men put their shoulders to the door and start forcing their way in. The door is solid but after a few minutes of determined battering the hinges start to give.

Eventually, the door gives way and the party stumble into the brightly-lit room, to be greeted by a horrific sight. Many shelves line the walls, containing specimen jars filled with various body parts, floating pale and bloodless. At the other end of the room, a furious scowl on his face, stands Claude Owen. He stands at the head of a trestle table, a partially dissected body laying atop it. Next to the table is a large stainless steel garbage can, its blood spattered lid ajar. Also on the table, various medical tools, surgical instruments and lab equipment gleam.

Owen is an unnerving sight. He is streaked in blood and bodily fluids, his skin as pale as the corpse he has been cutting up. His thick glasses magnify his eyes so that they bulge insanely. In his hand is a large scalpel.

“Why have you interrupted my work!” he screams.
OOC,Isadora, Henry and Alice have seen bodies before, but I believe Alice had developed a phobia about bodies. She and Harrison must roll 1/1d3 SAN.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Work? This is madness not research!"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It doesn’t seem possible that Owen can get any angrier than he already is, but he raises his scalpel as spittle flies from his lips.

“M – madness?” he shrieks. “My discoveries will change science forever! My name will ring out throughout time! I’ve surpassed that ignorant fool West! I am superior in every way!”

Veins stand out in his neck. The two policemen watch him, their mouths agape.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Get him, before he does something foolish," Isadora urges the policemen. Or her companions...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice grips her shotgun, ready to fire if Owen tries to attack. "Think about this rationally, Mr. Owen," she says. "There's one of you and six of us. Don't do anything you'll regret. The police have some questions for you. Please put down the scalpel and let's talk about this."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Owen lowers the scalpel.

"Of course, of course, I realize how this looks. I just need some more time, I'm at a crtical juncture. I can't possibly stop now. I promise I'll come quietly".

"You'll come now, Owen" growls Harden, his pistol raised.

"You don't understand!" cries Owen. "l can't leave. I'll turn my self in tomorrow. I promise!" His tone is beseeching.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're still holding the scalpel," says Alice. "Let go of it, please. Just go with the police. It won't take them long to ask their questions."
OOC,Persuade roll (74% skill) to convince [b]Claude Owen[/b] to come peacefully: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry Mr. Handy, Owen is quite insane, rolls won’t work on him. Alice still needs to make a SAN roll, as does Harrison
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Sanity 80 [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss 1 Current Sanity 79
Harrison has never seen such horror and struggles to take it all in.
Last edited by Starspawn338 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Alice is shocked by Owen's horrific experiment, she has seen the like before and steels herself.
OOC,Whoops, sorry, forgot to roll! :oops: Sanity roll (current level 63) for seeing the body: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Alice still loses one SAN.
"I will never give up my work!" Owen shouts. "And you won't stop me!"

Before the policemen or the companions can react,Owen kicks over the steel rubbish bin next to him.

What emerges is truly the stuff of nightmares. The cast-offs of Owen's experiments - loose arms, legs, hands, entrails and even a few torsos with or without their heads still attach writhe their way towards the heroes. It is a sickening sight, and they recoil in horror. Owen shrieks with glee.
OOC,Everyone must roll SAN. Even if you succeed, you lose one point. If you fail, roll 1d6+1 for loss.You will then be set upon by the Parts. Roll 1d4 so we can see how many you will be attacked by. After you do that we'll sort out the combat round.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry tries to shield Alice as the body parts attack!
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 71 [dice]0[/dice] Body parts[dice]1[/dice]
Last edited by innsmouth on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Rolls,SAN 60 [dice]0[/dice] Body parts attacking: [dice]1[/dice]
Isadora is reminded of her training as an artist. They would draw plaster casts of separated hands, legs, heads... Well, she'll never be able to do that again without thinking about the abminations now hopping before her eyes!!!!!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Sanity 79 [dice]0[/dice] Number of body parts [dice]1[/dice] Sanity loss 1 Current Sanity 78
Harrison thought the original scene was bad enough but when the body parts began to move toward him, he shrieks involuntarily. Quickly bringing himself under control, he decides that his pistol would be of little help against reanimated limbs so he holsters it and pulls out his hatchet instead.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game

Return to “A Little Knowledge”