Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

In the sleepy town of Kingsport, unspeakable horror hides awaiting its time. Not only does Tulzscha run rampant, but it also blazes a trail for Yibb-Tstll. Five ordinary people from various walks of life will try to prevent it from destroying all they hold dear. Will they succeed?

Moderator: Tabs

ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Arkham Horror chat (ooc)

Post by ProfToff »

PeaceHammer 2 reasons to leave those monsters to me...
1. I have re-usables I can use against them so save your items
2. Until I get 10 Toughness worth of trophies and down to the church I am cursed with no chanc of rolled reprieve

Either way we'll be passing next turn, you want to swap the Dark Cloak or/and shrivellig spell for anything you got.

no worries Tabs but seems like a slow process.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

ProfToff wrote:no worries Tabs but seems like a slow process.
Once we get going, it'll be a turn every few days, bet ya . . . ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

How is Rex supposed to intercept the Cultist? Remember, it's Elusive, so you'd need two Evade successes to even find it. Not easy to do even if you don't have a Curse. It's worth using the Flute just to get rid of the Cultist.

Also, you will lose an Item for ending the turn in the street due to the hailstorm. Rex doesn't have any junk he can afford to lose. Maybe the Holy Water, but everything else is extremely useful. Don't worry, there will be other monsters to fight, and it only takes 5 Toughness worth of them to get a Blessing from the church.

You could also get a Gate trophy without blowing your Personal Story, though you wouldn't be able to seal it without an Elder Sign. Maybe after Carolyn takes down the monsters in the street, she can hand hers to Rex as he goes past. Then he can fight the Mi-Go and enter the Gate on the first turn, which would help all of us get a good headstart on sealing Gates. The Mi-Go can't be kept as a trophy, but you will get a Unique Item.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

Hailstorm, what bloody hailstorm lol.
I agree I certainly do not want to lose any items. My first impulse was to jump on Independence Square. Would normlly avoid going in a gate without means to seal it but the Elder sign option works for me. So Al Dark Cloak or Shrivelling?
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Ok, so it is clear:

1) Nuke the cultists / vampire with a flute
2) Lob an elder sign at a passing reporter (I would like shriveling in return please Toff)
3) Fling a lucky cigarette case into the air to protect me against a hailstorm

:o

Got it.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy, good starting story for Mandy. How do you find the time?--you've got a finger in a thousand game pies.

Peacehammer, I especially enjoyed your turn summary--Carolyn flinging her Lucky Cigarette Case at/into the hailstorm.

ProfToff, Rex's Upkeep is next in the "Kingsport Horror (ic)" topic.

BlackSmoke, if I haven't posted Luke's Movement, go ahead and post Michael's Movement, (Luke "stands-up").

Dice roller: http://www.invisiblecastle.com --any probs., just roll some dice and post the result.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer, I see that you are online at the moment. I'm thinking: go ahead and post, if you want to; Mandy will not be effected by Carolyn's Movement.

BlackSmoke, Michael's Movement story is excellent.
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

Ok, I have taken my turn, and updated the character sheet.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Tabs! I keep running short of time, though. Posting in each game I play in doesn't take long, but it adds up. However, it's updating the games I run that takes the most time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ProfToff, as Mr. Handy pointed out, Rex has to "deal" with the Mi-Go.

I've had a change of heart: everyone can post whenever and not just in player order. Of course, there needs to be no conflict of interest, the obvious example are monsters obstructing investigators movement; what does everyone think?

Arkham Encounters
Woods
You trip over an object which turns out to be a rusty lockbox. . . . [See http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Woods to read the entire encounter.]

Black Cave
You are attacked by a shadowy being, . . . [See http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Black_Cave to read the entire encounter.]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Card draws are another issue where player order matters. If cards need to be drawn from the same deck by different players, we'd need to preserve the correct order. It's also important for abilities (such as Research) which can only be used once per turn. If players act out of turn, I'd get to see if players who are ahead of me failed their rolls or succeeded before my own turn, and I'd get to see what I roll before I see what players who are before me in the turn order get to if I post early. Thus, if skill checks are going to be rolled, that needs to be done in order too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

I would agree that player order should be kept as much as possible, with exceptions made on a case by case basis as above.

I think upkeep could be done in any order for flexibility though.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Peacehammer wrote:I would agree that player order should be kept as much as possible, with exceptions made on a case by case basis as above.

I think upkeep could be done in any order for flexibility though.
Yeah, that suggestion sounds reasonable.

England footballers were pants last night.
ProfToff
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProfToff »

All done, character updated, just need the item from the Mi-Go. Looks like me and Peace hammer have always played this wrong because I'm sure we would normally just dive through the gate.

As discussed I don't see movement order being an issue except where monsters are encountered or trades made. In either case it makes more sense to be in the correct order.

Otherworld encounter please.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ProffToff, the Mi-Go carried the Necronomicon: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Necronomicon

Next, Arkham encounters for BlackSmoke and Mr. Handy, and then Other World encounters for Tabs and ProfToff (I'll post the OW encs. later).
Peacehammer
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peacehammer »

ProfToff wrote:Looks like me and Peacehammer have always played this wrong because I'm sure we would normally just dive through the gate.
Hmm, TO THE WIKI!

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Gate
Gate encounters wrote: During the Arkham Encounters phase, any investigator that enters a location with a gate present is drawn through the gate into an Other World. The investigator moves to the first area (the left) of the Other World indicated on the gate marker.

Monsters guarding gates

During the first turn an investigator returns to Arkham the investigator does not need to evade or fight any monsters at the gate's location. If the investigator remains at the location on subsequent turns, however, he must evade or fight the monsters as normal.

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Arkham_Encounters_phase
Arkham Encounters Phase wrote: Gate

If the location has a gate, and the investigator has not yet moved through that gate, the investigator is drawn through the gate. He moves to the first area (the left area) of the Other World indicated on the gate marker.
It doesn't say either way whether you have to fight the monster before going into a gate in the encounters phase, but in the movement phase section it says:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Movement_phase
Investigators in Arkham wrote: Any monsters on the location where the investigator ends his move must be either evaded or fought before the investigator's movement phase ends.

It doesn't specifically mention gates, but I guess that if you move in there, then it is still the movement phase, in which case it takes precedence over going into a gate which happens in the encounters phase.
BlackSmoke
Layman
Layman

Post by BlackSmoke »

That's right! Fighting monsters is in the movement phase. Entering gates is in the Arkham Encounters phase.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Other World Encounter
The Dreamlands
You drink impure water from the River Kra. Pass a Luck (-2) check or lose 1 Sanity and stay here next turn.
Celeano (Other)
A hideous monster appears! Zombie: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Zombie

N.B. Mandy has the "Research" ability (re-roll) and Mr. Handy's Arkham encounter is next.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Tomorrow morning, I'll action the Mythos Phase and we can start Turn 2, Upkeep. BlackSmoke is the first player, however, post your Upkeep in any order.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Please don't skip me! I can only post in the evenings on most days during the week, though I'll be off from work next week, so July 2-4 will be an exception. I do have the Research ability, and you can ask me to use it to help you out if I haven't used it yet in a given turn and you fail a roll. However, making your own rolls first when you're behind me in the player order results in an unfair advantage, since I now know who has succeeded or failed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 5 - Kingsport Horror”