Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Seventh: Clouds of Battle

Post by SunlessNick »

William nods, "Keep careful watch on her. And as irrational as it may seem, offer her reassurance that she is correct in her refusal of this 'bargain.'"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

jp1885 wrote:Image

Knowing the pernicious nature of their enemy, Lepus treads carefully, lest he disturb someone innocent going about their business. He mutters an incantation to see if he can detect any evil ahead of him.
Curiously, the hedge wizard's spell detects neither good nor evil, but rather a kind of purely neutral consciousness, without, it seems, any motivation whatsoever, save sheer survival.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Once Henry makes sure that Lord Highdark and Miss Ravenscroft are not injured or in any immediate danger, he examines the device carefully. It draws him like a moth to a flame, though he is wary of it, as it may be responsible for their condition. He tries to deduce its purpose and how it works.
Spoiler:
with the high int and all relevant bonuses, automatic success
It would appear that the device makes use of galvanic fluid, derived from the recent anger of the heavens, which is drawn into its workings via multiple long, thin wires, to activate a complex mixture of alchemical substances in varied retorts, the intent seemingly to induce animal magnetism, drawn from a living subject, to inhabit in some material object, which does not appear to be present at this time.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:William nods, "Keep careful watch on her. And as irrational as it may seem, offer her reassurance that she is correct in her refusal of this 'bargain.'"
There is immediate agreement with this suggestion. After a brief time, Georgina does indeed seem calmer; in truth, she and the babe fall into an undisturbed slumber. All would seem well, were it not for a curious manifestation. In a corner of the room stands a raven, of greater size than is common. It casts an eye at William. That bold soldier, drawing the attention of the others to the remarkable fact of its presence, there being no open window through which it may have entered, is met only with confusion; evidently it is undetected by anyone else in the room.

More startling is the fact that it speaks, as certain members of the feathered tribe, dwelling in far-off tropical lands, are said to be able to mimic human speech; but hardly in so lucid a fashion.

"We have not met," it remarks, "although I have often been present with you. I have made previous acquaintance with one of your party, I believe. In any event, as it seems I shall be deprived of my prize, I must seek satisfaction elsewhere."

Clearly, only William hears this. It is notable that the bird speaks with the voice of a woman of high station.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"You shall," agrees William flatly, trying his best to disguise his disquiet at the apparition..
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry uses his smelling salts to revive Lord Highdark, hoping he can tell him what happened here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus frowns, it being unusual to encounter a being of so unblemished a nature.

If the fellow, if indeed it is a man, is hungry enough to eat unripe apples, maybe he would enjoy a more palatable repast?

To this end the wanderer rummages out some scraps of food and advances, holding them out as if in supplication.

"Hello? How goes the day, hm?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:"You shall," agrees William flatly, trying his best to disguise his disquiet at the apparition..

"Indeed." The bird examines William closely, hopping closer to him in a fashion that would seem comic, where the situation not so strange.

"It seems that the Fates decree that we shall not meet again for many years, and then in a very distant place. A pity, that. I would welcome so bold a warrior into my realm. So it must be. Who, then, do you suggest I take, among those gathered here?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry uses his smelling salts to revive Lord Highdark, hoping he can tell him what happened here.
Choking and coughing, Lord Highdark regains sufficient consciousness to make reply, although he remains in a weakened state.

"So tired. So tired. It walked! So tired."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus frowns, it being unusual to encounter a being of so unblemished a nature.

If the fellow, if indeed it is a man, is hungry enough to eat unripe apples, maybe he would enjoy a more palatable repast?

To this end the wanderer rummages out some scraps of food and advances, holding them out as if in supplication.

"Hello? How goes the day, hm?"
As if in reply, there follows a series of snuffling noises, something like those produced by a laboring beast of burden during the process of respiration. What little light strikes the orchard, either from glimpses of the Moon through the billowing clouds, or the curious illumination coming from the room high in the manor home, reveals a vague, shadowy shape within the trees, which seems to grow a little larger.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Still unsure as to the nature of the creature before him, Lepus continues to walk quietly forwards, all the time holding out his offering of food.

"'tis a poor time to be abroad, yesno? Art thou hungry friend?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're going to be all right, my Lord," says Henry, making him comfortable. "Can you tell me what happened here? What walked?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"It seems that the Fates decree that we shall not meet again for many years, and then in a very distant place. A pity, that. I would welcome so bold a warrior into my realm. So it must be. Who, then, do you suggest I take, among those gathered here?"
"If you are what it appears you are," begins William...
OOC:   If the crow can discern his thoughts, he believes the crow to be somehow an embodiment of death. [I'm thinking Macaria, but that was before William's time]  
... "and it must be one here now, the only man I would offer is myself and Fate be damned. But the Fey Lady who assaults this house has already sent victims to your realm, and means to send more - if she is such a lover of your domain, perhaps she would fain see it for herself."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Still unsure as to the nature of the creature before him, Lepus continues to walk quietly forwards, all the time holding out his offering of food.

"'tis a poor time to be abroad, yesno? Art thou hungry friend?"

What emerges from the trees, at a very slow rate of approach, is vaguely human in form, but only in the sense that a sculptor's first chiselings upon stone may be said to resemble the one to be immortalized in marble. In size, it is nearly twice as tall as a large man, and thick in proportion. Its limbs are long, heavy, stump-like projections, bearing nearly shapeless caricatures of hands and feet. Where there should be countenance are mere cavities in place of eyes, nose, mouth, and ears. The being is of a mottled gray color, where flesh, if so it be, is exposed. Covering much of its body is a length of rough, undyed cloth, merely wrapped around it, as if in grotesque parody of swaddling child. The cloth flaps about its person as it shuffles forward. Extending one of its ill-formed arms, it ventures to speak, in a deep, guttural voice.

"Fren?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"You're going to be all right, my Lord," says Henry, making him comfortable. "Can you tell me what happened here? What walked?"
Growing more sensate, the stricken nobleman answers in a tense whisper.

"What, indeed! That which cannot be! Coal oil and vitriol and leavings of the slaughterhouse, pieced together in unnatural fashion by that madwoman! May she remain in state of torpor forever! It must be destroyed!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: "If you are what it appears you are," begins William,"and it must be one here now, the only man I would offer is myself and Fate be damned. But the Fey Lady who assaults this house has already sent victims to your realm, and means to send more - if she is such a lover of your domain, perhaps she would fain see it for herself."
"Not even I can defy the Fates," replies the raven, "despite your most generous offer. Alas, the one who gathers her forces against this house will never visit my realm, nor I hers. No, I shall have to find another. Unless, of course, I am given the opportunity to game for such a prize, in which case I face the possibility of remaining empty-handed; or empty-winged, given my current form, if you will forgive such drollery. I do so enjoy playing for the ultimate stakes."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Not even I can defy the Fates," replies the raven, "despite your most generous offer. Alas, the one who gathers her forces against this house will never visit my realm, nor I hers. No, I shall have to find another. Unless, of course, I am given the opportunity to game for such a prize, in which case I face the possibility of remaining empty-handed; or empty-winged, given my current form, if you will forgive such drollery. I do so enjoy playing for the ultimate stakes."
"Hm," ponders William. Now it seems verified that he speaking with a figure of death, he finds himself strangely at ease - this is company he has kept for for many years. "If you may not take the Fae Lady, are you at least able to confirm whether we correctly name her Silveroak? As to your other proposal, do you suggest you might game for her? Or do you challenge me for one of the human souls in this house, and pledge your departure if I prevail?
"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah," says Henry. "She has assembled a construct of various substances and parts of different bodies and given it a semblance of life by means of this device." In truth, he has considered similar experiments himself, but he has ruled them out in favor of the idea of reanimating a single intact corpse. "Did you see which way it was heading?" He looks around for any tracks or a trail of destruction the creature may have left.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus' eyes widen when he beholds the creature. During his wanderings in Bohemia he had heard many arcane legends of the Golem of Prague, but despite witnessing many incredible things he never thought he'd actually meet such a thing.

But is it thus? Aren't Golems supposed to be mute? Does not this fellow speak?

The wanderer extends his hand. "Aye, friend."

He smiles and taps his chest. "My name be Lepus. Has thee a name?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Hm," ponders William. Now it seems verified that he speaking with a figure of death, he finds himself strangely at ease - this is company he has kept for for many years. "If you may not take the Fae Lady, are you at least able to confirm whether we correctly name her Silveroak? As to your other proposal, do you suggest you might game for her? Or do you challenge me for one of the human souls in this house, and pledge your departure if I prevail?
"
"The True Names of the Fair Folk are secrets to which I am not privy, as they will never have cause to know me. Nor is she a prize possible for me to obtain. It is the latter suggestion to which I refer. Name the contest, sir, and the stakes, and let us contend for victory."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”