OOC Discussion

In 1880, Africa is yet to be fully explored. The source of the Nile, Lake Victoria, has been discovered, but much of central Africa is a blank map, ripe for exploration. The motives are many; scientific fame, economic exploitation, or even spreading the word of the Lord.

Sir Archibald Winston-Smythe is a venerable emeritus professor of anthropology and history at the British Museum. Part of the first wave of explorers he is now far too infirm to travel again. And yet he has heard tales and talk from others who have carved deep into the Jungle. Rumours of depraved tribes and horrible cults cannot escape his notice.

In good standing and influence, he has commissioned another expedition into the very heart of Africa, past Lake Victoria and to the root of these strange stories, ostensibly for the progress of science and understanding, but also to determine the truth or otherwise of the stories of such locales. This hidden agenda is only alluded to, for the full horrors that bubble underneath are not for the ears of the brave men (or women) who will go boldly where no civilised man (or woman) has gone before.

Moderator: Supercape

Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Supercape »

ok So Singh will do his darndest knife swinging best!

1d100=85 miss!

So for Croc, I am tempted to just say he mauls to death Emelia, but as this is somewhat brutal I will pause before going there for comments.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

If I were a crocodile (or even if I weren't), I'd deal with the people still trying to kill me before settling down to a meal.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Mr. Handy wrote:If I were a crocodile (or even if I weren't), I'd deal with the people still trying to kill me before settling down to a meal.
Thank goodness you're not a beastly crocodile :D
I think the cold, unintelligent, reptile would indeed eat Emelia - slowly with much teeth gnashing, and give us heroes a chance to kill the flipping thing.

Me great white hunter! Ha!!
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

How long must the bold Burton hold on to the beast?
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tabs »

Do y'know, I've been waiting, a little impatiently, for the story to continue. Totally missed the new posts. Does Burton stab now? I'll look at the ic thread. . . .

Here's a roll [dice]0[/dice]

1d4? and again he'll aim for an eye [dice]1[/dice]
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Right sorry I missed the past few days, I came down ill and had a one-two with a busy busy patch at work. Both have cleared up somewhat but I bear with me if I am not at full speed yet!

Contemplating the crocodile thing, I will go with the brutal option. This is call of cthullu, after all.

The mauling is traumatic: a 0/1D4 Sanity loss for you all. Priest> Depending on how you see the relationship you may want to up this to 0/1D6 or even 0/1D8. I would suggest 0/1D6 as even if he is a little cool to Emelia her death is, by some perspective, on "your" hands, however I am perfectly fine if you want it to be 0/1D4 ~ the base level for someone known getting their head bitten off.

This brings us to the actions of the explorers;

Burton does indeed hit, but not impale, but given it is a fighting knife damage would be 1D4+2, or, in other words, 6 damage. -5 for amour brings the Croc down to a measly 4 HP.

Please post that stab, and then Carstairs and Baxter are up.

For the purposes of firing, its a point blank range (x2 to hit chance) but a -10% chance as Burton is in the way. A miss on the to hit roll by 1-10 may hit Burton.
You may wish to deliberately aim away from Burton, losing the x2 chance to hit and the -10% penalty, and (short of a "100" roll) you wont hit Burton (i.e. you roll your normal hit chance).

If the croc survives bullets, then Singh will have a stab.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Okay Sanity roll.
San Roll 45%: 1d100 27 Made it :o
Pah! Crocodiles biting the heads off young ladies is an every day occurence to Baxter. However shooting a great explorer in the arse is something else, but I'll resist the pleasure untill Carstairs and Singh have had a chance :lol: .
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

[dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss for witnessing Emilia chopped.
Last edited by Tabs on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Sanity loss? [dice]0[/dice]
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

I think Baxter has a crack at the beast now?
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Your wish is my command :D
fire pistol at crocodie - 90% (10% chance to hit Burton): 1d100 57 huzzah a hit (this time on crocodile)!
Handgun Damage 1d10: 1d10 6 Take that you swine
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

technically that puts Croc at 3 HP;

However at this stage I think its time is up and I am inclined to just let it bleed to death; a handwave of the rules but at this stage it is finished and dragging out a few more rounds and bullets feels like a drag. Anyone object to wrapping combat at this point?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay with me. Basically, the fight would just keep going on until someone gets in a lucky hit or we whittle it down to 0. This way nobody else gets killed in the meantime. We don't see what the NPCs roll, so Singh could always finish it with a mighty blow. You could always say that the croc tries to flee and save its own skin at this point instead of attacking, but it moves too slowly due to its wounds to escape.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I agree with Supercape, this fight is going on too long. Unless the croc. is supernatural (?), it's very very tough, we've scored about 10 hits. . . . And Burton may bleed to death. :) How teenagers killed one with spears would be interesting to watch! Can the croc. simply die?--we want a trophy to show our worthiness to the tribe.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

With Tabs all the way. It would be so upsetting to lose Burton to blood loss with his nemesis so close to death. Whoops Baxter is Burton's nemesis, his pistol has done all the damage to the great man :cry:
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

And so it dies, in a nasty and unclean way. The Crocodile trophy is yours!

Do feel free to narrate Burtons bullet wound and any treatment you wish. In essence, it won't matter, as we will soon be jumping forward several weeks to the third and final (and most Lovecraftian) chapter of the expedition. Dr Wessex will probably have to pull the bullet out, and it will hurt, and you may want some Gin with that operation. But this is not a time for first aid / medicine skill rolls as you will all be healed up for the next chapter.

(Unless of course you fancy fighting the Crocodile people or doing something crazy!) :)

NB: Forgot to roll Singhs sanity for seeing Emelia get her head bitten off. 1d100=16, 1d4=1 which he makes (but still goes "crazy" from a narrative perspective).

PS: Sorry posting a bit haphazard last week. I have been fighting off a mystery virus that has left me drained of energy and very nauseated. Its going around where I work and live. Apologies if it will be a little haphazard for another week (hopefully I will fight it off, eventually!) :mrgreen:
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

So we are now drawing a close to the end of CHapter 2 and approaching the final (probably) chapter 3: The end of civilisation (hopefully this will mean the end from a geographical perspective rather than a historical one ;) )

I will suggest using the feast to roleplay a bit about getting tattoos, dancing naked, making crocodile boots or hanging teeth around your neck like a lucky charm, and also working out who you want to come with you on the last leg. Options might be:

Sven and/or Britt: Who would likely stay with the Crocodile people as their initial "mission", but might be persuaded.

The French Soldiers: Who again, have effectively finished their mission of delivering guns, but you may have an argument to make to enlist their aid / the aid of Camp Verne.

Scar: Who is likely to come but very afraid. Might bed driven by revenge.

Some Croc People warriors: I would suggest 1-2 are likely to come with you to act as guides and aides.

Of course all other thoughts welcome.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

So I think we draw a close to Chapter 3.

Time to decide who comes with you to the Toad People; yo will have two croc people hunters to guide you, the rest is up to you.

Also, I am awarding a modest 1D3 Sanity increase for successfully joining the Crocodile People and the pride and confidence that came with it.

Lastly, Skill checks please!

I make it:

Burton: Handgun, Anthropology, Persuade, Hide, Jump, Knife,

Baxter: Spot Hidden, Bantu, Handgun,

Castairs: Spot Hidden, Rifle

If I missed any, just let me know! :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I also made a Psychology roll successfully.

Spot Hidden (55) did not increase.
Rifle (55) increased by 1 to 56.
Psychology (60) increased by 3 to 63.

Meh. :|
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Dont forget that +1D3 Sanity! :) but yes, rather lacklustre rolls.

When you are ready for Chapter 3 please say so.

I will default to the PCs, Wessex, Singh, and two croc people hunters, but you are welcome to invite / persuade other NPCs if you wish.

(And Baxter must say what tattoo he gets!)

Return to “The Dark Continent”