1: 'On a Lonely Road'

Despite racing against the rain on your way northwards, the storm finally caught up with you in earnest and with it the night has fallen, abyssal black and riven by lightning. Conditions on the rain-swept road force your speed down to a virtual crawl so that your head-lamps can pierce the gloom and keep you on the path. The only thing certain now is that the weather behind you is worse than that which surrounds you, driving you onwards. What should have been an eventless journey has become something dangerous and unpredictable....

Moderator: Priest

jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Re: 1: 'On a Lonely Road'

Post by jbibblesworth »

Luther gives the truck's cab a final cursory inspection before joining Lance and regarding the trail of footsteps leading into the underbrush. He cups his hand to his mouth and shouts over the downpour.

"Considering the circumstances, following Mr. Burns into the woods may not be the wisest choice!" he says,
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Luther sees nothing of note in the trucks cab, but in the flashlights beam he can easily make out a distinct trail of footsteps leading towards the trees. From the span of the footsteps he thinks the owner had been running…

That’s when he sees the headlights…

Inside the diner Tobias sits at the counter and thinks. Suddenly the interior is lit up by a swathe of light…Headlights a car has just pulled up outside.

There are several moments of confused questions from the occupants, that tail off as the front door opens and a rather elegantly dressed gentleman enters.
“Good evening, Barnaby Erasmus” he doffs his hat in a most polite fashion, and looks around at the dark diner, “I’m here to see Dr Godfrey Webb” He walks up to the girl, Emilia, “Ah Emilia my dear, how are you and do you still have the necklace?”
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
CrowTheAlmighty
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by CrowTheAlmighty »

Tobias had taken immidiate action. He stood up and stepped in front of Emilia, "And who, pray tell, are you?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The gentleman, without taking his eyes from Emilia, produces a small card from the inside pocket of his rather expensive looking ‘Astrakan’ overcoat. With a flourish he hands it to Tobias, “Professor Barnaby P Erasmus of Boston. My business is with the good doctor. I thought I might find him here despite the inclemence of the weather.”

The small business card identifies him as a ‘Purveyor of antiquities and esoteric artifacts’

He is, as noted, a rather dapper dressed gentleman of advancing years. He looks like your idea of an academic, one who has spent too many years locked away amongst ancient texts and things.

Taking his eyes off Emilia, he glances around the diner. Taking in the storm damage, the pale worried faces, and the attempts at first aid to both Emilia and Billy.

“My, my…what has happened here?” his gaze alights on the elderly couple, “Ah, Edward and his delightful wife, Winnie, how are you both?”
- Anais Nin
Vladd
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Vladd »

Seeing the approaching vehicle and not wanting to stay out in the rain Lance turns to Luther and shouts "I think you are right, it's probably a good idea to go back to the diner," He then heads back to the warmth and dry inside the diner.
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Luther trails his compatriot back to the diner and follows him inside, shaking the rain from his drenched clothing as best he's able. As he runs his hand through his sodden hair he takes in the newest arrival inquisitively.

"It would appear as though Mr. Burns has fled into the woods." he announces to the diner, eyes still locked on the primly dressed figure before him whom he now extends a hand towards. "Luther Auttenberg at your service."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At Luther and Lance's entry to the diner, the newcomer raises a quizical eyebrow. With Luther's subsequent introduction he holds a gloved hand out to be shaken, "Barnaby P Erasmus. I was just explaining to these people here that I have an appointment with Dr Webb, this young ladies grandfather. This Mr Burns you speak of, is there a reason why he should not go into the woods?"

The enquiry seems sincere but his attitude seems to display a lack of interest. For several moments the diner is subjected to a period of unsettling silence, quickly broken by another intense flash of lightning and a roll of thunder.

In the light of the flash you can see the elderly man, Eddy, staring intensely at the professor, a look of pure hatred on his face. His wife, Winnie, makes the sign of the cross.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by jbibblesworth »

Luther opens his mouth to reply when he catches sight of the fearful faces residing behind Erasmus.

"Spending a night in the woods alone in such terrible weather seldom yields good fortune." he replies gravely before changing the subject. "Dr. Webb is not here. My colleagues and I found Ms. Webb wandering the roadway, soaked to the bone. Mr. Furman and I were just about to head up to Dr. Webb's house when Mr. Burns fled the building quite unexpectedly. I'm afraid the inclement weather has everyone quite on edge."

He gestures to Thomas' silent automobile outside.

"Mr. Furman has his car outside. Perhaps you'd be willing to follow us in your own car? Just in case of an accident?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Game Cancelled due to lack of interest!!
- Anais Nin

Return to “Dead Light (7th Edition)”