[Scene III] Sam's Hunch - Felix, Millicent & Sam...

Loindon 1924....A grisly killing in the East of the majestic, sprawling bulk that is London sends out investigators in the pursuit of a mysterious manuscript, a troubling revelation about the origins of the world and piecing together the derranged rantings of a 19th century English poet. Truly there were some things that man was not meant to know...

Moderator: Airbornexo

Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

[Scene III] Sam's Hunch - Felix, Millicent & Sam...

Post by Airbornexo »

Marley's Antiques Market, Portabello Road
London - 28th November 1932 - 8:50am

Felix, Millicent and Sam met up on the corner of the Portobello Street market. Sam had, had an idea and the others bereft of a better suggestion to help the detective make his case went with it.

Travelling the five miles through the exclusive Mayfair and Kensington had brought the trio here: Outside Marley's Antiques Market to meet with one of Sam's dealers who had links with Oxford. Perhaps he would know more about the library and its owner before the group turned up on the doorstep...
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: [Scene III] Sam's Hunch - Felix, Millicent & Sam...

Post by Tabs »

OOC:   Airbornexo, Felix attempted to read those books--anything happen?  
"I trust you slept well, Ms. Broadacre?" he asks wryly. His own face is pale, his eyes rimmed by shadow.

"Marley's Market, can one really find unusual items here, sir?" says Felix to Sam.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Sam Reed

As the trio make their way to the bustling antiques market Sam starts to feel more comfortable, relaxing for the first time since the 'excitement' of the previous night. He too had slept fitfully and hadn't felt rested whilst he was eating his breakfast, feeling sluggish and almost reluctant to head out and start the day. Sam still wasn't sure how he or the others had been involved in the cases, sometimes Grimes seemed to be like a force of nature... things happened around Grimes and sometimes it was all anyone else could do but to hang on and get sucked along for the ride. Sam still felt an obligation to help after all Grimes had become a friend and well... what were friends for?

So that's how Sam found himself along with the writer and journalist at the entrance to Marley's Antiques Market, with little more than an idea and a hope that someone might have heard something that would relate to the grisly deaths.

Felix's question pulls Sam from his private musings "Unusual items.." Sam stresses the word, an eyebrows cocked as he considers the question. "Oh yes, I often think that if you had the inclination to wait and poke about through this collection of stalls that you'd be able to locate almost anything.." he tails off looking for one of his best sources of information at the market, he spies 'Stinky's stall, his friend seems to be in the middle of a transaction with a man and a woman. "Ahh there we are, this way.. Sam motions the others forwards through the crowd of browsers and buyers. Before they get to the stall Sam sees Stinky shake his head and cross his arms, his face set. "Best not to mention anything about murders and the police, tends to make people nervous around here. Stinky is like a little clock-work blood-hound... we'll wind him up and set him off. " Sam tells his two companions.

A few moments later they arrive at their goal, a large stall containing all kinds of objects, some in boxes and crates others laid out on the word wooden boards that serve as a counter. Stinky's customers have moved on and the shabbily dressed stall-holder was staring after them a cold look on his face as he ran a hand through his untidy white hair.

"Hello Stinky, what was all that about?" Sam Sam asks, cocking his head to the retreating pair.

"Wotcha Sam" the dishevelled man says offering a mitten covered hand to Sam "Oh that pair... they've been up and down this place all morning. There's summink about them.. a bit to 'lah-di-dah' .. he shrugs "They're trying to offload some padpa's, oh the stones look nice enough but they aint in a setting see, it's a bit whiffy." Stinky taps the side of his nose and winks theatrically. "Anyways, I though you said you weren't gonna collect that bronze plaque for a couple more days? It aint ready yet mate... I could 'urry Pete up .. but you know wot 'es like." Stinky shrugs.

Sam smiles, releasing the other man's hand from his limp handshake. "It's not that we've come about.. I and my friends" Sam indicates Felix and Millicent "are after a bit of info, what have you heard about someone boosting books in Oxford?" Sam slides across a folded pound note, which the older man makes vanish into his overcoat pocket.

"Books... watcha getting mixed up in books for! I ain't 'eard nothing... yet! the stall holders watery blue eyes twinkle and his weathered face creases into a smile. "Tell ya wot, why don't you and your friends 'av a wander and meet me at 'arry's in 'alf an 'our or so?

"Sounds good to me, see you there." Sam agrees, with a nod.

"Let's mingle a bit... wouldn't do for us to rush in and out..." Sam leads the others away. "Is there anything you'd like to look at, while we're here... china... silver..?
OOC:   I've taken the liberty of answering for Stinky to 'set the scene' ... it shouldn't affect the story in any way... but should add 'flavour' (I hope)

'arry's place would be a 'greasy spoon' cafe not far from the market.  
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

"You got anyfink else to go on? You know what Oxford's like, university town - full o' books if you catch my drift!" Stinky cocks an eyebrow...
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"When I have a morning free I do enjoy poking around, Mr. Reed," says Felix, clearly speculating on what he might find as he looks at the market stalls.
Stinky said: a bit whiffy."
He leans toward Millicent and whispers: "Very amusing--if he meant to be, that is."

"Mainly old books," says Felix when Sam asks what they'd like to look at. He inquires: "A bronze plaque, Mr. Reed?"

He says to Stinky: "The books came from Calloway & Sons Rare Books, High Street, Oxford--have you heard of them?"
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Sam Reed

Sam nods to Felix as the photographer furnishes Stinky with the information. "Be discrete, there may be others interested.." he says with his best 'serious' look, he doesn't want to rattle Stinky by mentioning murder but he wants his friend to be careful.

"Yes a nice piece, a military plaque from the Quing dynastic era possibly from the Shunzhi reign, having it cleaned and restored a little before passing it on." he smiles "Books eh... now why didn't I think of that. By all means lets have a look."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I understand, Mr. Reed," replies Felix, "I'll be more careful."

"The bronze plaque? sold to you by an ancient gentleman, in his youth a military hooligan, one of our esteemed chaps who ransacked the Winter Palace during the Opium Wars?" Smiling Felix adds: "You'll note that I'm given to flights of fancy!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Millicent merely smiles, she is more than happy to let Sam take the lead here, after all this is his 'bag' so to speak.
"Do carry on Mr Reed, you seem to have things well in hand"
She wants to add, 'while Felix here is behaving like a horses ass', but continues to smile instead.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

Stinky pulls out a battered notebook from an inside pocket, "Oxford you say...Calloway and Sons..." He leafs through the decrepit little book, " 'ere it is, oh thats right old Rupert and his boy. They are a bibliophile’s dream them chaps. Their little shop are hundreds of rare books, and their catalogue contains thousands more, assembled from the stocks of other booksellers and collectors. I've used them a couple of times in the past, very reliable and don't rip you off either!"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Felix notes Millicent's disdain and despite of himself is a little put out by the author, he says: "Imagination, Miss Broadacre."

"Rupert sounds like just the chap for us then, Mr. St--ah-- sir," he says, ensuring that he isn't overheard. "Have there been others asking about old books within the last few days, d' you know?"

OOC:   Oral History?  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Sam Reed

Sam smiles at Felix's discomfort in how to address his friend; after all 'stinky' does sound a trifle rude, to say the least. "A good question Felix... Has anyone else been nosing about Bob ?" he says with a chuckle and letting Felix and Millicent know that Stinky's given name is Robert.
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

Stinky shrugs "Rupert's alright, like I said you won't be ripped off but just don't expect to get a bargain...tight as the bilge in a battleship that one!" He looks at Sam and Felix, "how'd mean poking around. We get the odd punter asking for books old, rare, valuable, hard to get 'old of. But nothing especially that sticks out as unusual. To be honest most people come down 'ere find out the price of them old things and head over to the reading room at the British Museum or somewhere like that...free that way if you've got the credentials!" He grins a gummy smile at the assembled investigators...
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Would Sam, have such credentials?  
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

OOC:   Certainly if you think it fits his character; I don't see why an antiques dealer with an interest in researching his finds / marks wouldn't have a readers cards for the library at the British Museum.  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"We should visit the British Museum," says Felix to Sam and Millicent, "Find out if our mystery book has been asked for recently."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Millicent yawns pointedly, making no attempt to camouflage her boredom.
"Yes let's do" She favours Felix with a smile while looking at 'Stinky' as if he was something nasty she had just discovered in her Waldorf Salad.
"After all I presume that...Mr um... here is quite able to function unatended"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Samuel Reed

Sam ignores Millicent's barbed comment but rolls his eyes and gives 'Stinky' an apologetic look.

"We have to meet up with some others later.... we'll try and get back here before we do, to see if there's anything you manage to ferret out for us. If we don't manage to get back, leave a note with Arthur." Sam claps 'Stinky' on the shoulder and shepherds the others towards the main road where they can hail a taxi.

"Did you keep that book-plate, the one that was torn?" he asks Felix
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Felix, looking away, inspects the polish on his shoes.

"Certainly," he answers, reaching inside his jacket pocket.
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Airbornexo »

The market's trade steadily increases as the trio of investigators talk about there foray to the library. As they reach a decision and move to hail a cab a familiar dark sedan pulls up at the curb and Detective Grimes waves briefly to attract their attention...
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Sam Reed

Seeing his friend pull up to the kerb and beckon, Sam moves closer.. "We're not late are we?" he asks... checking his watch "we were just of to check the reading room at the British Museum, see if the .." Sam holds off on completing his sentence, worried about mentioning specifics about a murder investigation on the street. Instead he motions Felix and Millicent over.

OOC:   Time check, please  

Return to “The Primer”