The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

It’s Monday, August 19, 1991. Yesterday, Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev was removed from office in a coup arranged by hard-line communists in his government.

Protests against the coup are breaking out across the Soviet Union. Nationalist insurgents in the various Soviet republics are declaring independence from the illegitimate “State Committee for the State of Emergency.”

The Investigators are members of a Soviet Spetsnaz, or Special Purposes Forces, unit. They were selected for this elite military service due to their political reliability and physical fitness. After intense training and as much as two years of service in Afghanistan, they are hardened combat veterans. Many suspect that the coup plotters intend to use Spetsnaz units to bully the opposition into line. However, fate has intervened and the Investigators’ Spetsnaz unit has been kicked out of bed for a less political, but even more pressing, assignment

Moderator: Cearlan

Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

Post by Cearlan »

In the prevailing blizzard, visibility soon drops alarmingly, often to less than 100 metres. Even quite large features are difficult to spot. Visibility inside the MT-LBVs is even worse, with the driver’s periscope and windows icing up. This means that the vehicles have to stop while someone has to open the hatches to get a decent look to avoid risking the vehicle tumbling into a ravine or getting it hung up on boulders. The sky is not visible through the storm, even the sun barely registering as a smudge of illumination while it is above the horizon.

The winds are increasing as you progress and currently are blowing at approximately 65 kph, the outside temperature is showing as varying between 4 degrees Celsius to -12 depending if you are sheltered from the wind or not.

You have been travelling for about 45 minutes when suddenly Babenko's voice comes acrosss the radio. "Comrade Kapitan, I think you should stop and come and see this ... to say it is a little disturbing is an understatement."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: The Journey Into the Frozen Wilds

Post by kabukiman »

Korovin is happy hearing some distraction after what happened.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Melnikov unconcernedly chews on some gum, a habit he gained from watching some American films. He has already dismissed the explosion he heard behind them a while back deeming that whatever it was it iwould have necessary for the completion of the mission.
He turns to look towards the drivers ice crusted window when he hears the radio message, although he can see little outside.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Kadael »

Kriptoshenko has been silent and stone-faced ever since he heard the explosion. He hasn't thought too hard about the whys or hows. All he's sure of is the result.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor tries to peer out through the icy windows, though he can see little of their surroundings. He is sure that the hydraulic fluid ignited and destroyed the plane - and all of the troops they had left behind - possibly as a result of the explosives used to blow open the exit. There's nothing that can be done for them at this point, he thinks. They're in God's hands now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

The journey gets harder as you go further forward. Snow and ice form and it needs to be cleared from the windshields / periscopes every 20 minutes now and the outside temperature has dropped to about -15. Two hours after leaving the plane, about 07:15 hrs, the radio bursts into life once more as transmissions from the Mi-26 Helicopter carrying the other half of your company starts to cut through though the heavy static.

At first the radio, once it has been correctly tuned in, indicate the pilots arguing with some officers who are clearly safe and snug at the Norilsk Air Defense Base.

Pilot 1 (Highly agitated);- "Norlisk Base, This is Mayór Limbersky We cannot penetrate any further into this blizzard - conditions are simply <static> ... gerous to continue further"

Pilot 2 (in background);- "Mayór, the rotors <static> icing up - we need to turn back now sir"

Norlisk Base (calm and collected, after a slight pause);- "Negative Mayór. You are to continue as ordered you MUST try <static> you understand?"

Mayór Limbersky (voice rising);- "I respectfully ask you <static> re-appraise the situation Sir ... I have never seen anything this severe at this time of year <static> I grew up around here."

Norlisk base (after a longer pause);- "Negative Mayór, we demand that you continue. The safety of the Soviet Union may be at stake here I order you to <static>"

Pilot 2 (in background);- "Sir even the fuel <static> to freeze"

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Negative Norlisk base - I refuse to endanger the lives of these men and this helicopter <static> errand. When the storm passes we can go in without <static>, but to try now would be suicide, and murder on your behalf if you continue to force us."

A new voice comes on the radio shrieking wildly at the helicopter crew.

New voice;- "This is Lt. General Konstantin Pavelovish Suslin of the Strategic Rocket Forces, you may remember me as the same man who ran the mission briefing back at Norlisk airbase. If you continue with you trecherous talk about abandoning your mission you will be treated as deserters and your helicopter will be intercepted and shot <static>. Furthermore, the wives, parents, siblings and children of the deserters will undoubtedly meet with the gravest consequences for your cowardly actions."

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Lt. General <static> greatest respect, these orders are totally insane and I believe the man issuing them equally mad."

Lt. General Suslin (still screaming, now even louder);- "Limbersky get your f*%!ing helicopter to site 6 as ordered or I'll personally flay you, your wife and three children, (his voice lowers back to a dull roar), especially your new born boy Кирилл (Kirill) who I will take a special interest in if you <static> Limbersky, you have a simple choice to make!"

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Lt. General Suslin Sir, May you burn in the deepest pits of your own personal Hell. I just hope I will <static> your tormentors. You have left us no choice but to follow your orders. I wish to state that I ...

The radio goes dead.
OOC:   Psychology rolls from everyone please  
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor can't really assess the state of mind of the men on the radio.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Korovin is too disturbed to pay attention to the details.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4422038/
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Psychology,[dice]0[/dice]

After hearing the radio dialogue, Kozlov , his face cold, switches to their internal channel.

"Babenko, I'm coming over."

He double-checks his gear, secures all flaps and belts and nods at Kriptoshenko and Muradov.

"You two are with me, the rest should get these windows cleared. We're going nowhere fast if we can't see."

With that, he leaves the MT and tries to make his way to the lead vehicle.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Melkinov avidly chewing his gum seems to pay little attention to the radio conversation.
Psychology,1d100 → [85] = (85) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4422252/
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Kozlov Kriptoshenko and Muradov,Babenko responds [color=#FF0000]"Da comrade Kapitan - halt the vehicle and get the screens and scope cleared whilst I am away"[/color] The latter obviously directed towards the MT-LBV drivers
Kozlov,Your experience in the Spetsnaz upper-mid echelons gives you an inner warning that the screaming Lt. General Suslin, and Norlisk air force base are not even giving half the story ... there is much more to this than has been revealed. To have rattled Lt. General Suslin this much the actual situation must be dire indeed, in fact whatever it is has the command hysterical with fear.
When Kozlov, Kriptoshenko and Muradov board Babenlko's MT-LBV the radio sputters into life once more.

Mayór Limbersky (shouting);- "Norlisk base, Norlisk base this is White 36 team one - Mi-26 Mayday Mayday Our rotors have iced u <static> tail and lift rotors Mayday Mayday. Position 68 degrees 34 minutes 47 seconds North b <static> y minutes 18 seconds East We are going down repeat we are going down. Mayday Mayday Position 68 degrees 34 minutes 47 seconds North by 90 degrees forty minutes 18 seconds East You f*&@ing bunch of murdering imbeciles. Your mothers are now the devil's own whores <static> fate for forcing us into this suicidal <static>." The helicopter's communications cease.

Norlisk Base;- White 36 team one - Mi-26 Come in this is Norlisk base. Come in White 36 team one please respond" The base tries again and again and again to raise the now silent helicopter, without success.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Viktor finds the major's dsplay of mat oddly reassuring, and he hopes that the his fellow Siberian has survived. "How far away is their position from ours?" he wonders aloud.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Nicolay is happy that he belongs to the group that is still alive. But for how long?
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Kozlov didn't like how this mission was going so far. Too many casualties at the start was bad for morale, even for his men. They'd start doubting and that mustn't be allowed to happen. He couldn't show signs of weakness or the mission would falter.

He looks at Viktor, a look of concern for his colleagues in the chopper on his face.

"We will see when we get there, no doubt, but the mission must take precedence, Viktor.""

He then turns to Babenko.

"What's wrong?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Comrade Kapitan," says Viktor, nodding.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Kadael »

Kriptoshenko can't tell much beyond the obvious as he boards with Kozlov and Muradov.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Kozlov Kriptoshenko and Viktor,Babenko rises as Kozlov Kriptoshenko and Viktor enter the lead MT-LBV. He points that they should return out the door. I have to see this up close myself - it's just not ... well you'll see. Once the four of you are outside, he points over to the left of the trail. When the group have walked about fifteen metres you can see a shape looming in the swirling snow. "I just got a glimpse of it when the wind dropped for a second." As you approach you can see that it is a small herd of gigantic reindeer. The calves were surrounded by what appears to be females whilst three large males are frozen solid, raised upon their rear legs like you see on coats of arms, rampant you think it's called. It seems as though they were frozen defending the herd against something. However they seem to have been frozen instantly, in place, something like freeze dried coffee. What could have done this so quickly? [ooc]San roll please for the realisation that this is much more than could be natural - 0/1d2[/ooc] [url=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/Cearlan/media/Cold%20Dead%20Hand/ColdDeadHand04_zps39f95ad4.png.html][img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh150/Cearlan/Cold%20Dead%20Hand/ColdDeadHand04_zps39f95ad4.png[/img][/url]
The three MT-LBV spare crew members are clearing the windscreens and periscopes as everyone waits for the four crew members to return to their respective vehicles
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Bozhemoi!" yelps Viktor, startled, but not too badly. "What could have done this?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Kozlov's face is grim.
Sanity,[dice]0[/dice]

"Must be a special weapon's research station...It doesn't change our mission."

He turns away from the horrible display and starts heading back to the vehicles.

"Maintain the approach vector and proceed with caution. Radio communication is to be restricted to a minimum."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"Da comrade Kapitan" snaps Babenko in reply to Kozlov's order "Proceeding on course to site 6, our objective." He quickly boards the lead vehicle while you retrace your steps back to the rear vehicle.
OOC:   Listen rolls for you three please  
You enter as quickly as possible in order to prevent heat loss from within the MT-LBV.

After about an hours further travel the radio once more suddenly bursts into life.
http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2013 ... ler-alert/
Not sure if I am allowed to put this link up as it's to an external site or not - if not feel free to remove it

Transcript of the above sound file.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Cold Dead Hand”