Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Welcome to Dunwich(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

Dunwich Beach - Dunwich, England
Late morning, Unknown Date

Lucius and Brook returned back down the beach to where the TARDIS stood. The old man they had seen earlier with the metal detector had now reached it, and he was talking to Story and Elizabeth.

Re: IC-Ep 1-Welcome to Dunwich(Story/Elizabeth/Lucius/Brook)

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm
by Thorn
After explaining how the year it was made was printed on all coins and bills, and that paying with money from the future would be seen as forgery, Brook waves to the others when she sees them up the beach. Looking curiously at the old man, she then smiles at Story as they approach. "Skateboards. DeLorean. Back to the Future. Karate Kid. Pastels and high hair." Looking to the man with the metal detector again, she says as a way of conversation:"Next year it'll be 1986. Time does fly, doesn't it."

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Hello Brook, Lucius," says Elizabeth, as they approach. "This is Zeke Baker. He's been telling us about Dunwich's recent history."

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm
by Thorn
"How do you do, Mr. Baker?" Brook nods to the old man, holding out her hand. "I'm Brook."

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy
"Pleased to meet you, Miss," Zeke said to Brook with a smile. He shook her hand, gripping it loosely. "Yes, it's hard to believe how much everything has changed so quickly. Where does all the time go? I can't imagine what things will be like in the year 2000, but I hope I live long enough to find out."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:46 am
by jaysun81
Turning towards Brook and Lucius. "Mr. Baker here was telling us about how the late Josiah Lake who came back as a war hero loaded with gold. Apparently around the same time he wasn't the only thing that came back. Baker here says that the fish returned as well...what an odd coincidence." Looking back at Mr. Baker. "You said the local museum was ran by who? A lady named Amelia Cressy? Well, sounds like a good person to give us a lesson in the local lore." Smiles.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, that's right," said Zeke Baker. "Amelia Cressy. You'll like her." He pointed to the west, towards the collection of buildings visible on the left side of a street that led off to the horizon. It formed a T-intersection with another road that went northeast, where it ended at the beach café, and southwest. "The museum is off that way if you're interested. The Ship Inn is right at the corner, and the Dunwich Museum is a few doors past it."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:46 am
by jaysun81
"Ah, thank you so very much for the information Mr. Baker. We truly appreciate you taking the time to chat with us." Smiles and after a moment Story turns his attention to his companions. "Shall we go and chat with Ms. Amelia Cressy over at the museum?"

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 am
by Thorn
"Sure. The waitress at the café mentioned the museum as well. Guess there's not much else to do here." Brook looks out at the ocean and the submerged buildings. "Wouldn't it be cool if this was Atlantis?"

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth smiles at Brook's comment. "Yes, but this is definitely real and that makes it more interesting for me. Museum sounds good to me too. I'd like to see that."

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:37 am
by Mr. Handy
"You're quite welcome," said Zeke. "The museum doesn't open for about another hour, Amelia's a busy lady, and she has a lot to do to get ready for the day. But if you tell her I sent you, maybe she'll make an exception and let you in early. Or you could check into the Ship Inn while you're waiting. It's on the way there, and it's the only place in town to stay."

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:33 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Oh checking into the inn sounds like a good idea," says Elizabeth. "Why don't we do that, then make our way to the museum?"

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 pm
by Thorn
"Okay. We might need to make some financial arrangements, though." Brook checks her money purse again to see if any coins or bills are dated before 1985.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:45 am
by yockenthwaite
"Mmm good point," says Elizabeth. "I hadn't thought of that. Alternatively even if we can't stay there we could drop in to the inn to make enquiries about the village."

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 am
by jaysun81
"Quite right Elizabeth...quite right." Smiles.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:37 pm
by Mr. Handy
Brook looked through her change purse. While any notes from 1985 or earlier had long since been removed from circulation by her time, there were still plenty of old coins going around. She was lucky that she had a number of them dated between 1971, when British currency went decimal, and 1985. In all, it amounted to about five pounds. It wouldn't be anywhere near enough to rent a room at the inn, but it would be suitable for meals and small purchases. Prices were a lot lower in the 1980s than they were in 2010, so it would stretch further. She also had another fifteen pounds of coins dated later than 1985, but there was a very good chance that she could pass them without anyone noticing. Aside from coin collectors, few people checked the dates on coins. Notes were another issue, as they were completely redesigned on a regular basis and most shopkeepers and the like did inspect them to ensure they weren't counterfeit. The newer notes would not pass close inspection.

Zeke waved goodbye as Story. Elizabeth, Lucius, and Brook headed off across the beach to St. James's Street. Then he turned and walked off, running his metal detector over the sand.

The travelers soon reached an intersection where three roads converged. Beach Road East headed north towards the Flora Café. St. James's Street stretched out to the west, and the Ship Inn was clearly visible just beyond the intersection, a few cars in the car park beside it. Monastery Hill ran to the south before curving off to the southwest. A triangle of grass was between all three roads.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:15 am
by jaysun81
Story looks up and down the streets. "Shall we head to the inn?" Starts heading in the direction of the Ship Inn.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 am
by yockenthwaite
"Hmm mmm," agrees Elizabeth, following Story.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:20 am
by Thorn
Brook strides along, mentioning to Story:"I've got a few pounds we can use, but not enough to rent a room, let alone two. But we can sleep in the Tardis, anyway." Springing to the next subject, she muses:"I wonder what those big fish were."

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

The group soon reached the Ship Inn. A sign hung outside some distance before the front door. The Dunwich Museum was visible a few doors further to the west, past a couple of cottages. The front door of the inn opened to reveal a lobby decorated with nautical themes. A couple of doors at the back led further inside, and a flight of stairs went up. There was a wooden counter with a bell on it, behind which stood a petite young woman with big brown eyes and black hair.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 pm
by jaysun81
Story walks over to the petite young woman with big brown eyes and black hair. "Hello." Points around the place. "I quite like the nautical theme you have here." Smiles. "Say, me and my compatriots are historians of sorts and we're just wondering if you had a moment to peel back a layer on this town for us? I realize we could go ask at the museum but the Inn...that's where you hear the real stories." Leans in closer and lowers his voice. "The stories that keep people awake at night afraid to unlock their doors to peek outside." Steps back and smiles again before motioning for his friends to gather around.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Good morning, sir," said the woman. "The museum is your best bet to hear about Dunwich's history. It's not quite open yet, but it will be at half eleven. I don't really know much about the town's past, sorry."

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:38 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Oh we're going to go to the museum," says Elizabeth, stepping forward beside Story. "I'm looking forward to it. But are any of the other locals expert on the history here? Even the recent history in the last century or so? Maybe a regular of the inn here?"

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy
"We don't really have locals staying at the inn," she replied. "The people who live here have their own cottages. The inn is for tourists, and for visiting historians like yourselves. Let's see...there is Dr. Strong. He's about sixty years old and has lived in Dunwich all his life. He's pretty knowledgeable, but I don't know how much he knows about the more distant past. That's probably what you're interested in. Most people are. He lives in the Rose Cottage, further down the street. It's a ways past the museum, but it's on the right. There's also the writer, Virgil Soames, but I'd stay away from him. He's a bit creepy and has a bad reputation. Nobody in Dunwich has anything to do with him. You can sometimes find old sailors and fishermen down the beach, and they usually have a tale or two to tell, though how much truth is in them is anyone's guess."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 am
by jaysun81
Looking around the Inn before turning his attention back to the lady. After hearing her mention the writer Story asks a question. "Hmmm...this writer, Virgil Soames, why do you suggest we stay away from him? What exactly is his reputation? If you don't mind me asking."

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy
"Well, it's his family, really," said the lady behind the counter. "They're criminals, or so I've heard. Happened before my time, though, and I don't really know anything about it."
OOC,Everyone, please roll Psychology (or Insight for [b]Lucius[/b]).

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:32 am
by yockenthwaite
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3810724/]Rolling Psychology (stat 41%) after lady in inn tells criminal story re Virgil Soames's family (1d100=57)[/url]

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 am
by Thorn
Brook listens with interest at the mention of the creepy writer, a topic that relates perfectly with her goth soul. "What kind of books does he write?"
(Please roll Psychology for me)

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm
by jaysun81
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3810861/]Psychology - 90% (1d100=80)[/url]

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook alertly observed the woman now that her interest was piqued. Lucius wasn't paying much attention.

"History books, mostly," the receptionist replied. "Stuff about Dunwich's past. Weird stuff from what I hear."
Story/Brook Davies,[b]Story[/b] and [b]Brook[/b] both felt that the woman believed what she said when she spoke of [b]Virgil Soames[/b] and his family, and they could sense her distaste of them.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 pm
by Thorn
Brook smiles. "Weird stuff. Our motto."

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:35 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius stood there, hands clasped together behind his back as he allowed the others to talk. He took an opportunity to look around the Inn while they were keeping the girl at the front desk preoccupied, looking for other people who might be sticking around, or anything that might seem out of the ordinary. He made a mental note to check up on this Virgil Soames. With their recent rash of strange occurences, seemed like Virgil was bound to be their next stop.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy
There was nobody in the lobby but for the five of them. There were pictures on the walls of boats and seaside scenes. The boats were very different from the ones with which Lucius was familiar, sleeker and sometimes made of something other than wood. Some of them didn't even have sails or oars. The pictures looked very lifelike, and he still wasn't sure how the devices that captured such images worked, but they were clearer and more realistic than any painting. There was also a ship's wheel mounted on one wall, as well as various types of fish mounted on plaques. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary here, but he hadn't seen the rest of the inn yet. If he wanted to, he'd need to go through one of the interior doors or up the stairs.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:43 pm
by jaysun81
Upon hearing about the creepy Virgil Soames, Story looks at his companions and smiles before returning his attention to the lady. "An author from a potentially criminal family, he writes weird stuff about the towns past...sounds like an interesting fella, where can we find him?"

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, you wouldn't want to talk to him," said the receptionist, frowning.
OOC,[b]Story[/b] (or anyone else), please feel free to roll Persuade or Fast Talk to get her to give you his address.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am
by yockenthwaite
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3819027/]Trying Persuade roll (stat 35%) to get Virgil Soames's address from lady in inn (1d100=49)[/url]

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 pm
by Thorn
(Fast talk 30 %, Persuade 35 %, could someone roll for me, please?)

"Aww, come on. A morbid writer sounds much more interesting than a dusty old museum," Brook pleads.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 am
by jaysun81
Upon hearing the pleas from his companions Story leans in close to the receptionist and says, "Perhaps not but the truth is in every story there's a hint of truth. Perhaps his unique background will provide some information that we would miss out on otherwise." Smiles "My dear, you have nothing to fear. We will not tell him who provided us the address. I can promise you that."
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3821158/]Persuade - 85% (1d100=16)[/url]

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook's plea fell on deaf ears, but Story got through to her. "Oh, I'm not worried about that," she said. "I was just warning you for your own good. Don't trust Soames or anything he tells you. If you really must visit him, he lives in the Priory Cottage. If you leave the inn and go to the intersection to the right and then turn right on Monastery Hill, you'll come to it soon enough. The ruins of Greyfriars will be on your left, and the Priory Cottage is across the street from them."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:27 am
by jaysun81
Nods at the receptionist. "Thank you my dear. We will be sure to guard our hearts from any deception Mr. Soames tries to wrap us up in." Looks at his companions. "Perhaps we should let the lovely lady get back to her work? So shall we go to the museum first or pay Mr. Soames visit?"

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am
by yockenthwaite
"Maybe the museum first," suggests Elizabeth, "if only to get our heads clear about Dunwich history generally. Then we could visit Mr Soames. How does that sound?"

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 pm
by Thorn
"Ok...museum first. I guess I have enough for admission fees..." Brook replies.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 am
by jaysun81
Smiles at his female associates. "That's the spirit. To the museum we go." Turns back to the receptionist. "It was a pleasure meeting you. Thank you for your time, we truly appreciate it." As the group prepares to leave Story looks at Lucius and says. "I seem to remember our first museum experience to be quite interesting, wouldn't you say? Let's just hope that this time around what dwells beneath the soil stays there."

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:12 am
by ImpInTraining
Lucius nodded, looking away from the very interesting pictures of boats that he had no familiarity with... and suddenly he had a hankering to go on a boat some time. So many advances since his time. He had considered investigating the rest of this place, but he didn't want to get the rest of them in trouble because of his snooping so he just remained silent until they were ready to leave.

As the stepped outside, Lucius said "Something about that woman doesn't sit right with me. Why would she care if we... a bunch of strangers... would want to talk to some eccentric man on the outskirts of town? Maybe one of us should remain behind for a few minutes and keep a tab on her actions."

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy
"Oh, you're quite welcome, sir," said the woman. "You'll enjoy the museum." As Story and his companions stepped outside, she picked up the telephone on the counter and started to dial.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:37 pm
by jaysun81
"I would think she was concerned precisely because we're a group of stranger wishing to talk to an eccentric man with possible criminal connections. If anything it would seem to me our stranger status would produce enough of a reason for her to be hesitant." Smiles at Lucius. "However, my friend, if it would put your mind at ease by all means linger for a bit. Would you like someone to stay behind with you?"

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius shrugged and said, "I should be fine on my own. I'll catch up with you shortly."

Lucius moved close to a window nearest where the woman keeper was located and strained to hear her conversation on the phone. He tried to do so without looking too suspicious... kneeling down to tie his shoe.
Listen check (if applicable) -success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3828688/]Listen(50%)[/url] Sorry... screwed the hyperlink up. Result was 12

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Curious Lucius wondered that," muses Elizabeth quietly to the others as the group heads off. "She didn't strike me as suspicious, but then maybe there was something going on. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile: the Museum! This is what I really want to see. I've wanted to see Dunwich for years." She grins, and claps her hands excitedly.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
Lucius remained behind while the others walked down the street towards the museum. He was easily able to make out the innkeeper's voice from outside the window. He didn't understand how these "telephone" devices worked, but he had gathered from his time in 1930 that they were used to talk to people over long distances.
Lucius Verres,"Four strangers just came in here asking questions about [b]Soames[/b]," the woman said. "They're historians, they said. There's a middle-aged man, a young man and woman, and a teenage girl. Could be nothing, but you might want to send someone to keep an eye on his place. You've got time; they're going to the museum first before they visit [b]Soames[/b]." She paused for a few seconds. "Will do, [b]Mr. Lake[/b]. Goodbye."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:41 am
by Thorn
"I never even heard of it till now," Brook says. "But I guess I will hear plenty now."

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:06 am
by jaysun81
Story smiles at his associates and continues to walk towards the museum.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:00 am
by yockenthwaite
"Well the museum should fill us in on the general history," says Elizabeth to Brook. "But just being here, and that first glimpse out to sea and realising what we were looking at, is quite exciting for me. I first read about this place years ago. I never thought I'd see it for myself."

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook walked a few doors down St. James's Street while Lucius remained outside the inn. The three of them soon reached the front door of the Dunwich Museum. A sign said that the hours were 11:30-16:30. The door was locked.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:22 pm
by ImpInTraining
Lucius was glad he stuck around. With the conversation over, he moved double-time to try to catch up with the others.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm
by jaysun81
Story tries the door knob. "Locked." He halfheartedly knocks on the door. "Hmmm...wonder why that lady didn't tell us they would be closed today." Walks over to the nearest window and attempts to look inside; hopefully getting a glimpse of the history stored within.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:51 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Perhaps we're just too early," suggests Elizabeth. "The sign does say it opens at 11.30am, and though I've no good idea of what the time is the lady at the inn did say good morning. Maybe it's still before 11.30? We could always wait here for a little bit, just in case."

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
Lucius passed a couple more of those self-propelled chariots. They still gave him the willies, but he remembered that they were not powered by magic, but by - what had Story called it? An infernal combustion engine? That sounded about right. He quickly caught up with the others.

Story peered in through the window. Thankfully, the curtains were open. He could see the museum's entry hall on the other side with a few exhibits about Dunwich's early history as a Roman fort. A woman with gray hair in a long black dress was puttering around inside, checking the exhibits and apparently making sure everything was ready.
OOC,The woman at the inn did say the museum wasn't quite open yet. I also mistakenly had her say it opens at 11:00, but I've edited that now. [b]Zeke[/b] also mentioned that the museum would open in about an hour (from the time you spoke to him, which was about fifteen minutes ago).

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:48 am
by jaysun81
"Yes...we're only early. I see the employed historian moving about inside."Turns back towards his companions and smiles. "So...I suppose we wait." Story sits down on the sidewalk if there is no nearby bench.
OOC,Sorry about that Mr. Handy...I forgot you did tell us that. :)

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:33 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods in agreement, and looks for somewhere to sit fairly comfortably on, or to lean against if that fails.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Everyone, please roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:46 pm
by Thorn
(Please roll for me :) )

Brook sits down on the sidewalk, leaning against the wall and pulling her dress down over her knees. She looks up and down the street hoping to catch a glimpse of those horrible 80ies fashions.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:37 pm
by yockenthwaite
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3836873/]Rolling Spot Hidden (stat 38%) while waiting outside Dunwich Museum (1d100=48)[/url]

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook saw plenty of eighties-style clothing on the people walking up and down the street. Of all the mysteries of time and space, the one she'd never figure out was why anyone would want to wear board shorts. She thought she noticed something out of the corner of her eye at one point, but there was nothing of interest there. Probably just her imagination.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:24 am
by jaysun81
OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3837503/]Spot Hidden - 28% (1d100=32)[/url]

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:38 pm
by ImpInTraining
Spot Hidden - success!,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3838893/]Spot hidden (57%) (1d100=22)[/url]
Lucius approached looking rather pleased with himself. He tells the others,"We should make haste to that other gentleman's home right away. The woman picked up one of those," he made hone gestures with his hands, "And told someone else of our plans. They seemed relieved that we would be postponed by our tour of the museum."

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Gosh, your suspicions were correct," says Elizabeth. "Well the museum isn't open yet, so we wouldn't lose anything by heading to the other place now. Shall we go there first instead?"

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy
Lucius Verres,As [b]Lucius[/b] glanced down the road inland, he saw another chariot, a bit larger than the others and white in color, turn onto it from the right. It was heading in their direction, but it was still quite some distance away. The glass windows were dark, and he found it very difficult to see within. He was only just able to make out silhouettes of five people inside it. He wondered how they were able to see out.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy
Lucius Verres,The chariot pulled to a halt about halfway down the length of the road, next to a a red booth standing beside it on [b]Lucius[/b]'s right. A tall man got out on his left and looked around. There was a bulge in one of his jacket's pockets. Another man, also with a bulging pocket, got out of the vehicle next and got into the red booth.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm
by Thorn
"Blimey, some of those hairdos are just plain scary..." Brook remarks. "So, we go to the creepy writer then?"

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 am
by ImpInTraining
Lucius made a subtle gesture with his head to indicate the people who just hopped out of the white chariot down the road as he said, "I have similar suspicions about those fellows, only worse." He looked at Story and said, "Maybe we should take an alternate route, somewhere out of their field of vision?"

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:16 am
by jaysun81
"Indeed." As Story stands he places his hand on Lucius' shoulder and gently squeezes it. "Excellent observations Lucius." As he turns to look for the best alternate route he says, "Let's keep our eyes and ears open and move swiftly...but not to swiftly that we're seen as people on the run."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:23 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods, "Agreed." She stands up, brushes her skirt down, and prepares to walk beside Story.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 am
by Mr. Handy
The four of them walked back the way they had come, past the inn and around the corner to the right, down Monastery Hill.
OOC,Everyone is moving to the thread linked below.
Ghostwriter