Page 1 of 1

IC-Chapter 1-Law(Gains/Levington/Lt. Yeager/Sgt. Rawlings)

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:29 pm
by Mr. Handy
Police Headquarters, Franklin Square - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8:00 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969

Father Nathaniel Levington walked into the small, square interview room. He was in his fifties with gray hair, and his priest's collar was easily recognizable. The only furniture was a wooden table and two matching chairs, one in front of it and one behind it. Brian Anderson sat on the chair behind the table, wearing a gray prison uniform. A man in a suit and tie in his thirties also stood in the room, evidently the lawyer, Alan Gains. The police shut the door behind the priest to give the three men some privacy.

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Law(Alan Gains/Father Nathaniel Levington)

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:49 pm
by dualshock71
Alan stood in a corner, trying to avoid being in the way. The priest was here to see Brian. Alan, by contrast, was mainly here on the off-chance that he could get anything more done tonight.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:34 am
by TheAlchemist
Levingtonlooked uneasily from Brian to the man standing in the corner. He stepped over to him and extended his hand.

"I don't believe we've met,"he said. "My name is Nathaniel."

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 pm
by dualshock71
Alan took the man's hand, shaking it a few times.

"Good to meet you Nathaniel. I'm Alan Gains, Brian's lawyer. I do hope I'm not intruding."

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Oh no, not at all," Levington said. "What happened?" He asked turning to Brian.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
"After I left the church, I went to have dinner," said Brian, sighing. "After that I went to Lenny's Bar. I often hang out there in the evenings. I got there around 7:30, maybe a little after, and ordered a drink like I usually do. I had some drugs in my backpack, various kinds. I...I sometimes sell them to my friends who want to score. There's this young guy named Harry who started showing up there a couple of weeks ago, and he was interested, so I go over to his table and start showing him what I've got. I was selling him some Lucy- sorry, LSD, when these cops burst into the bar and arrest us. I try to tell them that my dad's real important in the hopes they'll back off. The tall one, Lieutenant John Yeager, says something rude about my mother and I just kind of lost control. I tried to smack him one, but he was ready. A second later he has my arms behind my back, and this other cop is about to start beating me. Then this whacked-out old guy comes in from the bathroom and accuses me of trying to kill him! I don't know who he is. I've never seen him before in my life and I've never tried to kill anyone. I know the old man must have been the one who narced on me, but I don't know why he's got it in for me. Funny thing is, he tells the cops not to hit me. They listen to him and they believe his nutty story," He paused in thought. "It's almost like he's one of them. Maybe he is."

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:02 pm
by dualshock71
OOC,Keeper, small question. I just thought of a technicality that could easily get him off unless I'm missing something. The Miranda Warnings were issued in 1966, three years before the time in the setting. It'd be fairly new and easy to forget, and the cops didn't exactly seem the overly competent type. Would Alan be able to remember the Miranda Warnings?

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, [b]Alan[/b] would definitely be aware of the Miranda Warnings.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 pm
by dualshock71
OOC,Dang it, never mind that, I apparently heard them do it.
Alan remembered back to what he had heard when they arrested him.
Brian Anderson, you're under arrest for attempted murder, possession and sale of illegal drugs, assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, and generally being a complete dick. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you by the court.
They'd read him his rights (he'd underestimate them there), but they'd left a possibility open. If this was the young man's first offense (which he didn't doubt), he could argue for leniency that way. The cops had provoked Brian to the assault charge, leaving him an opening to counterattack, and the attempted murder was obviously out. The drugs might not be so easy to get rid of...

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:56 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Brian..." Levington said. "I sympathise, but I'm not sure how I can help. I'm not an expert in the law, I'm a preacher. If you need a character witness, I can vouche for you, or if you need someone to talk to, I can do that too."

Levington paused.

"How can I help you Brian? Do you need anything?"

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"I've got an expert on the law here," said Brian, indicating Alan. "Mostly I do need someone to talk to. A character witness, yeah, that's a good idea too. I just want to get bailed out of here and go home. I really don't want my dad to find out about this. Or my girlfriend." He put his head in his hands. "The drug I stole from my father, it's called Morpheus. I poured it out of its flask in the lab and into a thermos, then rinsed the empty flask and put it away in a cabinet with a bunch of other empties. Maybe he won't have noticed it's gone yet. If I can get it back and replace it fast enough, he'll never have to know. The problem is, the thermos was in my backpack with the drugs, and the cops took it."

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:24 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I think the retreaval of you backpack and its contents might be better handled by Mr. Gains here. All I would have as a tool is my charming personality." Levington said, nodding to Alan. "But what did you want to talk about?"

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy
"I guess about what's going to happen to me, and what I should do," said Brian. "My life is ruined. I...I can't go to jail. I couldn't handle it."

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:18 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I know you must be feeling the weight of what you've done, and how that will change how other people like your father will look at you, but you listen to me, I've worked with young men like you for thirty years and if there is one thing that I've learned, its that a life can never be ruined. When I was younger just out of seminary school I was working in a prison ministry, I and some other religious leaders from the community would preach three or four times a week to the men in one of the prisons in upstate West Viginia. There was a young man there, about your age, who'd been sentanced to a life term. He was a rapist. Across the state of West Virginia he'd raped five women and killed two of them, the two murders were what led to his arrest. This man, Jacob, was vocally irritated by our presence and he'd be derogitory and discouraging to me and the men with me at every opportunity. I was suprised when one day the guards told me that Jacob had asked if I would visit him in his cell. When I walked in, I hadn't had the chance to say anything or even sit down when Jacob looked up at me with tears in his eyes and he asked me, do you think I can be forgiven for what I've done?"

"Things are going to change for you after today. I don't think your going to get out of this without your friends and family finding out whats happened. You've been caught with drugs, and if you manage to hide the theft of this Morpheus stuff from your father, you've got more luck then brains. That is going to brand you for the rest of your life. When people look at you they're not going to see Brian Anderson, they're going to see a theif and a drug dealer. But thats not important, because thats not who you are. The question you have to ask yourself is are you going to listen to them? There is a belief out there that people can't really change. People are constantly defining one another by the past, what they have experienced before, and we conform to those definitions. We're enslaved by them. I knew a smart young man in high school, and I mean sharp, that never got very good grades. His mother was constantly telling him he would never amount to anything, his teachers dismissed him, but all the while I could see a glimer of what he really was. But he listened to them. He bought that he couldn't be any better then he was, and he works far below his intellegence level because he believes he's too stupid to do anything else."

"Every single morning when you wake up you have a choice. It doesn't matter a lick what you did the day before, you can choose to do something completely different today. I know that religion isn't a popular thing with people today, but hear me out. In Lamentations the author writes about the destruction of Jerusalem and his people the Jews as a result of their wrong doing. But his conclusion at the end of the book is that there is still hope, he said. But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning ; great is your faithfulness. God offers something that people don't. Freedom. He offers freedom from all past wrongs, all transgressions and although the entire world may point at you and call you evil, God will embrace you and call you son."

"My friend Jacob has changed a lot since I first met him. They call him the Prison Preacher. Where ever he's being held to serve out his sentance he carries the gosple with him to whoever will listen. And let me tell you, he has done great things, he's like Paul reincarnated."

"All that is to say, you don't have to be ruined. He can change your name. The world might call you drug dealer, but he will call you faithful. They might call you theif, but he will call you son. He knows who you are Brian, he made you. And he knows that there is greatness in you, the only question is, how will you let your experiences shape you?"

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy
"But why is this happening to me?" asked Brian. "Who is this crazy old guy, and why did he accuse me of trying to kill him? Maybe...maybe you could find out for me. I know I won't be allowed to talk to him, and I doubt I'd get anything out of him anyway."

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:53 am
by TheAlchemist
"I've been thinking about that fellow. I don't think its a coincidence that this has happened to you at the same time that you took that drug from your father. Did you have a plan as to who you were going to sell it to? Did someone put you up to it?"

Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy
"No, I guess I didn't really plan things out at all," said Brian. "Story of my life, huh? I was just going to sell it to whoever was willing to pay a lot. It was all my idea, and a pretty dumb one too. Nobody else is even supposed to know about it. Dad's real secretive, and he protects the formula for how it's made better than they guard the recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken. He never even told me Morpheus existed. I only found out about it because, well, I'm kind of a snoop."

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 pm
by TheAlchemist
"If you were able to find out, do you think anyone else outside of your father's group might know?"

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't know," said Brian. "It would be harder for someone who wasn't part of it, but I guess it's possible. The first experiment was carried out a couple of weeks ago, and there were six students who took part. I guess they might have been able to figure something out. Maybe you could find out if someone else is interested in Morpheus and the experiment."

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:49 am
by TheAlchemist
"Who were the six students? Were you one of them? What did the experiment involve?"

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't know who they were," said Brian. "I never met them, and I didn't take part in the experiment. Dad wouldn't have let me, anyway. It's going to be run again this weekend with a new group. The experiment involves lucid dreaming, where you can control your dreams. The students stay overnight in the lab for three nights in a row. Half of them are in the control group, and they're given chocolate milk to drink. The other half are given Morpheus, which looks just like chocolate milk. This happens at midnight. Dad tells them what he wants them to try to dream about before they go to sleep. When they wake up, he and his assistants interview them immediately, asking them questions about their dreams and making notes. I already told Mr. Gains some of this." He paused in thought. "He knew something about it already, because this girl Emily Simmons who was in the experiment came to see him. She smashed up her car, right?" He looked at Alan for confirmation.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 pm
by dualshock71
Alan nodded.

"Yes. She claimed that something was pursuing her. Something not human. From what I gathered, she's never been on any drugs, nothing else that could cause these. I believe that the Morpheus is responsible, but at the moment, that's just guesswork."

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:26 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Do you think that she could provide us with more on the others involved in the experiment?"

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:13 pm
by Mr. Handy
"She'd probably know the other students' first names," said Brian. "I imagine that all of the students in the experiment talked to each other while they were in the lab. Don't know if they divulged their last names, though. She'd know what they look like for sure. Dad would know a lot more about them, but even if I wanted to involve him he'd never reveal it. All of their personal information would be confidential. If you want to know about the people helping him run the experiment, one of his assistants is a woman psychology professor named Nancy Remington. She's a real looker, petite and with long, dark hair. She's about thirty, maybe thirty-five. Then there's the guy in the wheelchair, Jerome Padgett, who's around thirty. He's some kind of technological wizard."

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy
There was a knock on the door from outside. A moment later, it opened to reveal the black uniformed cop who was on duty in the guard room along with a strong man in plainclothes in his thirties, with brown curly hair and a mustache to match. Father Levington did not recognize the second man, but Alan Gains had met him before. This was Sergeant Charlie Rawlings, one of the policemen who had arrested Brian Anderson. Brian gulped when he saw the tough sergeant.

"All right," said Rawlings, "it's question and answer time. Father, I'll have to ask you to leave the room." He frowned at Alan Gains. "You! You're the one who was following us! Just who the hell are you, and how'd you get in here?"

"He's my lawyer," said Brian, "and you're not talking to me unless he's with us!"

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:01 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington stood and went to the door. He turned before stepping out and gave Brian an encouraging smile.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:14 am
by Mr. Handy
"It's going to be all right, Brian," Alan reassured him. Brian just nodded numbly.

Once Father Levington stepped out of the room, Sergeant Rawlings stepped in and the uniformed cop closed the door from the outside. Though he could no longer see what was going on in the room, the priest was able to hear raised voices from the other side.

Charlie Rawlings strode up to the table, slammed his hands down on it, and leaned forward, glaring at Brian. "What was in that thermos?!" he snapped.

Brian flinched, but Alan Gains put a hand on his shoulder. "You don't have to answer that," he said.

"Like hell he doesn't! We've got a man in the hospital on account of it, and he happens to be a good friend of mine! You'd better hope for your sake that nothing bad happens to him, you little twerp!" He loomed menacingly over Brian, who cowered back in his chair.

"He'll be fine!" said Brian, his will easily broken. "Look, it's just going to put him to sleep for a few hours and give him some freaky dreams, that's all. It's called Morpheus."

"Never heard of it. What the hell is it?"

"It's some herbal concoction my dad cooked up. I, um, borrowed some of it from him. I was going to replace it, but it sounds like your man must have drunk it."

"Who's your daddy, then?"

"He's Dr. Gregory Anderson, a professor at Penn's medical school. He's running this psych experiment with student volunteers to test the stuff. Please, don't tell him about this!"

"You ain't exactly in a strong bargaining position, kid. What happens next is up to the Lou. Now I've got to go make a phone call. Don't get too comfortable. I'll be back before you know it." He opened the door and returned to the guard room. He nodded to the priest. "You can go back in for now, Padre." Then he went over to the desk, picked up the phone, and dialed it.
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b], roll Listen if you want to try to overhear what he says on the phone. [b]Alan Gains[/b], you can roll too if you return.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:53 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington steps inside the interogation room, leans casually against the door and listens closely.

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:16 pm
by Mr. Handy
Alan Gains could hear nothing the sergeant said from where he stood, and neither could his client, but Father Levington heard it all.
Father Nathaniel Levington,"Yes, this is [b]Sergeant Charlie Rawlings[/b] of the Philadelphia Police," said [b]Sergeant Rawlings[/b] into the mouthpiece. "I'm calling for [b]Lieutenant John Yeager[/b]. He's a big guy, dark hair with a receding hairline, wearing a brown overcoat. He'll be with [b]Detective Harry Sawyer[/b] when they bring him in, along with an older gentleman and a pretty lady cop. Don't know if they've arrived yet-" He paused. "Great, put him on!" He paused again, then spoke cheerfully. "I sure am, Lou. [b]Candyman[/b] said it's called Morpheus, and that [b]Harry[/b] will be fine - that it'll just put him to sleep for a few hours and give him some freaky dreams. Now I've never heard of this Morpheus junk before, but he told me his old man cooked it up from some herbs. Get this: the guy's a professor at the University of Pennsylvania's School of Medicine named [b]Dr. Gregory Anderson[/b]. Apparently he's testing it on student volunteers as part of some psych experiment. The little scumbag sang like a canary, and I didn't even have to lay a finger on him. He already had a lawyer in there with him, along with some priest. Guess who the lawyer was? It was that guy that who followed us from Lenny's Bar in the taxicab!" He listened again. ""Yeah, they're still here, Lou. [b]Brian[/b] stole this stuff from his dad, and he's real desperate not to let him find out, too. That gives us more leverage on him." Roll History to see if you've heard of the name Morpheus.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:34 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,That name sounded familiar, [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2139908/]but...[/url]

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:19 am
by Mr. Handy
Alan Gains also did not know the source of the name Morpheus.

In the outer room, Charlie Rawlings hung up the phone, dialed another number, and began speaking.
Father Nathaniel Levington,"Yeah, this is [b]Sergeant Rawlings[/b]," said the sergeant. "I need a car sent down to the main emergency entrance of Jefferson Hospital to pick up [b]Lieutenant John Yeager[/b] and company and spin them back here." He waited for a response. "Okay, thanks."
Sergeant Rawlings walked back into the interrogation room, addressing Father Levington. "So, Father, what's your name and what brings you here?" he asked.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:31 am
by TheAlchemist
"The names Nathaniel." Levington said extending his hand. "Brian called me when he was arrested."

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Nice to meet you, Father," said the sergeant, shaking his hand with a strong grip. "I'm Sergeant Charlie Rawlings. So he used his phone call to call you, huh? Under the circumstances I'm not surprised he didn't call his earthly father. Have you known him long? Are you a friend of the family or something?"

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 pm
by TheAlchemist
"No, no, I haven't known him long." Levington said. "I'm not sure why he called me first to be honest."

Levington leaned in and spoke quietly to the sergeant.

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened exactly that got Brian arrested? I don't know much about whats going on, all I heard was that he'd tried to kill someone."

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy
"That's at the top of a long list of charges," Charlie Rawlings replied. "Lieutenant Yeager and I arrested him when he was in the middle of selling drugs. He then resisted arrest and took a swing at the Lou, but he was ready and managed to subdue him. Then a old man came forward and told us Brian tried to kill him."

"That guy was crazy!" protested Brian. "I've never even seen that old guy before in my life!"

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:16 am
by TheAlchemist
OOC,I'm rather curious to tell whose telling the truth around here, and I'm going to go probing some. First, I'm curious whether or not Brian's being honest that he's never seen this guy before. Second, I'm giong to try and find out if the cops know more about this other guy then their letting on. Let me know if I need to make any rolls.
"Who is this guy that came forward? What proof does he have?'' Levington paused. "It seems like a strange thing to make up, which is the only other option here."

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You should roll Psychology. If you ever think a roll is called for, you can go ahead and make the roll without waiting for me to prompt you.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:32 pm
by TheAlchemist
While he listened to each man, Levington considered their words carefully.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:22 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Nathaniel Levington,While Psychology is not an automatic lie detector, it can give you some helpful insights into other people. [b]Brian Anderson[/b], while an angry young man who no doubt has much to feel guilty about, seems genuinely bewildered and confused that he's being accused of attempted murder. [b]Sergeant Rawlings[/b] is very concerned about his friend in the hospital, and seems determined to put the man he holds responsible away.
"Well...I don't know the guy's name," said Sergeant Rawlings. "He sounds like an okay guy, though, just a bit disoriented after what he's been through. You're right, it's not the sort of thing someone would make up, and he seems sincere to me. Maybe you can meet him yourself when he gets back from the hospital, Father. Shouldn't be long now. As for proof, well, that's something for Homicide to investigate. I'm not about to discuss the details of an ongoing investigation in front of the guy that did it - or his lawyer." He shot a glance at Alan.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:16 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington chuckled.

"I don't blame you. Hey, is there somewhere around here I can get a drink? I'm pretty thirsty."

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:52 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yeah, sure," said Charlie Rawlings. "Let's go up to the office. We've got coffee there." He looked at Alan Gains again. "You can confer with your client some more if you like. Lieutenant Yeager will be along soon to ask him some more questions."

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:49 am
by TheAlchemist
"Lead the way."

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Alan Gains[/b], you are moving to the thread linked below. You should stop reading the current thread at this point. Dualshock71, if you return, post in the new IC thread. [b]Father Levington[/b] remains in the current thread.
Changes

Sergeant Charlie Rawlings led Father Nathaniel Levington out of the interrogation room, closing the door behind him. They returned down the hall to the elevators, and Charlie pressed the button to call one. The doors opened immediately, as nobody had called it away since the sergeant had come down, and the two men got in. Charlie pressed the button labeled 1, and the elevator rose past the lobby and to the floor above.

The doors opened and let them out into a hallway. A row of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooked Race Street on the north side of a hallway that stretched the length of the building. Sergeant Rawlings led the way to the right and around the curve of the eastern elevator shaft. A small hall curved back that way with the door to a bathroom at the end of it. On the left was a straight hall going deeper inside. Father Levington followed him down the hall until they reached a door labeled "Detective Headquarters." Inside were several desks, most of which were occupied, as well as some doors leading off to smaller rooms.

"Here we are, Father," said Charlie. "How do you like your coffee?"

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:45 am
by TheAlchemist
"Black, thanks."

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy
"No problem," said Charlie. He went over to the percolator and poured out a steaming mug, handing it to the priest. "Good thing Amy just made this batch. I'm terrible at making coffee."

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington nodded.

"I am too, they won't let me near the coffee machine in the office at church."

He paused, taking a sip of the hot coffee, and then let out a satisfied "aahhh."

"So, you meantioned before that a man wound up in the hospital after drinking some of Brian's stuff? How is he?"

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy
"In a deep sleep," said Charlie. "Other than that, he seems all right. Brian said that Morpheus junk won't hurt him. He'd better be right."

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm
by TheAlchemist
"Does that name, Morpheus, mean anything to you?"

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Law(Alan Gains/Fr. Levington/Lt. John Yeager)

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 am
by Mr. Handy
Charlie Rawlings shrugged. "Never heard of Morpheus before tonight, Father. All I know is that it's the name of that drug." He looked up when his taller colleague walked into the office. Father Levington saw that the man was in his mid-forties, and his dark hair was starting to recede. He wore a brown suit and tie, and had a determined look. "Welcome back, Lou. Father, this is my boss, Lieutenant John Yeager. Lou, this is Father Nathaniel Levington."

Lt. Yeager saw that in addition to the detectives busy working in the main office, the priest was standing with Sergeant Rawlings, talking to him and sipping coffee. He was in his fifties with gray hair, and his priest's collar was easily recognizable.
OOC,[b]John Yeager[/b] and [b]Father Levington[/b], each of you may roll Psychology to get an impression of the other.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:02 am
by seanarcher
John quickly runs an eye over Father Levington "Excuse us Father Levington, I need to talk to Charlie."

John looks at Charlie and nods over to a desk away from Father Levington "What can you tell me about Levington and the lawyer Charlie? Is the lawyer still with Brian?"

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:42 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington nodded to the lieutenant, and took another sip of his coffee.
Psycology,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2162436/]74[/url]

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Nathaniel Levington,[b]Father Levington[/b] could tell that [b]John Yeager[/b] was a very intense and focused man. He was not the sort to let go once he seized on something. If you want to try to eavesdrop, roll Listen.
Lieutenant John Yeager and Sergeant Charlie Rawlings,[b]John Yeager[/b] could see that [b]Father Levington[/b] was very charismatic and compassionate, and he seemed to be genuine. Though he was in his fifties, he still appeared healthy and active. "Yeah, the lawyer's still with him, Lou," whispered [b]Charlie[/b] after following [b]John[/b] across the room, "but he hasn't said much. He told [b]Brian[/b] he didn't have to answer when I questioned him, but the kid was intimidated enough that he spilled the beans as soon as I started in on him. [b]Brian[/b] looked ready to wet his pants - uh, I mean again. He was lucky his bladder was already empty. Still insists he's never met the old man he tried to kill. The priest said he hasn't known [b]Brian[/b] long, and he isn't really sure why [b]Brian[/b] used his phone call to call him. He tried to ask me what evidence we have about the attempted murder, but I told him I can''t talk about an ongoing investigation. The Homicide Unit is going to handle that charge, anyway. Then he asked for something to drink, so I brought him up here for some coffee and a chat. He asked how [b]Harry[/b] was doing, and just before you walked in he asked if the name Morpheus meant anything to me."

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 am
by seanarcher
Charlie,"Ok Charlie, good work. Bill has gone down to the holding area, Oh yeah he's our new Sergent as well" John has a smile on his face as he says this. "Head down there and see how he's doing, I'll be down there shortly. I need to ask our padre a few questions first"
After talking to Charlie, John walks back to Father Levington.

"Father Levington," John holds out a hand in greeting "My Sergent informs me that you are aware of a drug called Morpheus? Would you mind joining me in my office. I would like to get a few things clear in my head and I beleive you may have some answers that will help" John asks as he suggests with his free hand in the direction of his office.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington,[b]Levington[/b] [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2164265/]listened[/url] closely to the Lieutenants conversation with his sergent.
When John came back across the room Nathaniel shook his hand.

"Anything I can do to help." Levington said.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Nathaniel Levington,[b]Father Levington[/b] was able to hear every word that passed between the two men. "Yeah, the lawyer's still with him, Lou," [b]Charlie[/b] had whispered after following [b]John[/b] across the room, "but he hasn't said much. He told [b]Brian[/b] he didn't have to answer when I questioned him, but the kid was intimidated enough that he spilled the beans as soon as I started in on him. [b]Brian[/b] looked ready to wet his pants - uh, I mean again. He was lucky his bladder was already empty. Still insists he's never met the old man he tried to kill. The priest said he hasn't known [b]Brian[/b] long, and he isn't really sure why [b]Brian[/b] used his phone call to call him. He tried to ask me what evidence we have about the attempted murder, but I told him I can''t talk about an ongoing investigation. The Homicide Unit is going to handle that charge, anyway. Then he asked for something to drink, so I brought him up here for some coffee and a chat. He asked how [b]Harry[/b] was doing, and just before you walked in he asked if the name Morpheus meant anything to me." "Okay, [b]Charlie[/b], good work," [b]John Yeager[/b] had replied. "[b]Bill[/b] has gone down to the holding area, Oh, yeah, he's our new Sergeant as well," [b]John[/b] had a smile on his face as he said this. "Head down there and see how he's doing, I'll be down there shortly. I need to ask our padre a few questions first." "Thanks, Lou. Sure thing." [b]Charlie[/b] raised an eyebrow and left the office, heading into the hall leading back to the elevators.
Lieutenant John Yeager and Sergeant Charlie Rawlings,"Thanks, Lou," said [b]Charlie[/b], raising an eyebrow. "Sure thing." He left the office, heading into the hall leading back to the elevators.
OOC,[b]Sergeant Charlie Rawlings[/b] is moving to the following thread. Please stop reading the current thread at this point, and do not read the posts above the one that the link points to in the new thread. Everyone else remains in the current thread.
Changes

Lieutenant Yeager led Father Levington into his office, which had Yeager's rank and name on a plate on the door. Inside was a desk with neatly stacked papers, a blotter, an ashtray, a rotary phone, and various office supplies on top of it. A comfortable-looking leather chair was behind it, and another chair, this one wooden, was in front of the desk. There was a set of shelves lined with books as well as a few bowling trophies. Hanging on one wall was a 1969 calendar open to July, graced by a beautiful bikini-clad young blonde above the actual rows of days, the first 15 of which had been crossed out with a diagonal red line. A movie poster for Coogan's Bluff was on the wall next to the calendar.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:44 am
by seanarcher
John walks over to his chair and takes a seat.

"Pull up a pew Father Levington," John asks with a wry smile on his face "Now, today I've heard of Morpheus...." John pauses as he shakes his head "...and seen its effect. What I need to know Father, how is it that our Brian came to call you, because I'm pretty damn sure that Brian hasn't had a single divine thought let alone walked into a church in his life. And while we're at it, how is it you know of Morpheus anyway Father?"

Lets see where our Fathers values lie, John thinks to himself as he leans back waiting for Father Levington to reply.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:49 pm
by TheAlchemist
"I met Brian today, actually. As for why he came to me, I can't say because I have no idea. I am familiar with this Morpheous stuff because Brian mentioned it to me when he came to see me. Apparently it is some sort of herbal concotion his father made." Levington paused. "I have a question for you, if you don't mind."

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 am
by seanarcher
"You can ask Father Levington, but I might not be able to answer." John leans back even further resting his hands on his head.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:07 am
by TheAlchemist
"Does that name, Morpheus, mean anything to you? It sounds terribly familiar to me."

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:10 am
by seanarcher
"There are two things that come to mind Father Levington..." John leans forward and opens up one the drawers in his desk "One, The drug Morpheus is meant to induce strange dreams when taken..." He pulls out a bottle of whisky and two glasses he offers one to Father Levington with a raised eyebrow "... and two; if my greek mythology serves me correct, Morpheus was the god of dreams, or sleep..." John pours himself a shot, then holds the bottle over Levingtons glass waiting "..or sleep and dreams I can never remember, why is the name familiar to you Father?"

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:59 pm
by TheAlchemist
Levington smiled, but waved off the offer of whiskey by pointing to his coffee. When John mentioned the ancient greek god of dreams, he slapped his hand on the desk.

"I knew that name sounded familiar, right on the tip of my tounge." Levington said taking a sip of his coffee. "Rather apt name, that."

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 am
by seanarcher
John knocks back the shot in one gulp, then stows the bottle and glasses back in desk drawer.

"At this stage Father Levington I'm not even sure if Morpheus is actually illegal, I've no idea what's in at all. I'll have to get another sample and get it tested. Father, what time exactly did Brain call you, and what did he ask you when he did call you?"

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:05 am
by TheAlchemist
"He called me around seven fourty. Told me he'd been taken to the station on attempted murder charges and asked me to come visit him. It was all rather sudden. I'd only met him a few hours earlier."

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:09 am
by seanarcher
"Ok thanks for your time Father Levington, I need to have a chat with Brain." John says as he gets up from his chair. "I'll ask one of my detectives to show you out."

John makes his way over to the office door and holds it open for Father Levington.
John Yeager,After Father Levington has gone John wants to make his way down to the holding cells and have a chat with Brain.

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:58 pm
by TheAlchemist
"That's alright, I can find my way out." Levington said, standing and walking through the open door.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:28 pm
by seanarcher
OOC,Do I assume that John just gets down to the holding area and can start questioning Brian?

Re: IC-Chapter 1-Law(Gains/Levington/Lt. Yeager/Sgt. Rawlings)

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Father Levington and Lieutenant Yeager returned to the hall outside the elevators, where John pushed the button to call an elevator going down.
OOC,No, you're not there yet. I need to give some more time for [b]Bill[/b] and [b]Charlie[/b] to act in the other thread before you arrive, but feel free to keep talking to each other in the meantime. In general, you tell me where you want to go and I'll let you know when you've arrived. You never know what might happen along the way.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 am
by seanarcher
"One day I'm going to find the guy who installed these damned lifts and make him take the hour long ride between floors!" John says with less than ammused look on his face as they wait for the lift to arrive.

John turns to Father Levington "So Father our Brian thinks the almighty is going to get him out of this one aye!"

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 pm
by TheAlchemist
"If he does, he'll be disappointed. God is not to be confused with Santa Clause. What will happen to Brian?"

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:05 am
by seanarcher
"He'll probably get a minimum sentence and be outa jail next week! I arrest them and the damn lawyers get them out." John pounds the door with his fist, obviously frustrated "You know what I think Father, each of those damn lawyers should come along and see what their clients actually get up to out there! See the destruction they leave behind," A vein in John's temple starts to pulse as his voice raises a few decibels "the wasted families: respectable fathers beating their wives’ and kids because they're strung out," John's eyes appear to be bulging as some spittle fly’s from his lips "and those gutter crawling lawyers sit in their shinny new homes and cars, all bought on the backs of these families!" The last few words echo off the walls as John suddenly stops his tirade and stands there staring at Father Levington.

Visibly John collects himself, he wipes his brow with the sleave of his jacket his hand shaking slightly. "Sorry Father Levington, " his voice has dropped to more conversational tones "That wasn't aimed at you, as you can tell I have something against defence lawyers."

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:39 pm
by TheAlchemist
A mischevious smile lit across Levingtons lips.

"The devil visited a lawyer's office and made him an offer. 'I can arrange some things for you,' the devil said. 'I'll increase your income five-fold. Your partners will love you; your clients will respect you; you'll have four months of vacation each year and live to be a hundred. All I require in return is that your wife's soul, your children's souls, and their children's souls rot in hell for eternity." Levington said and then paused.

"The lawyer thought for a moment. 'What's the catch?' he asked."

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:08 am
by seanarcher
Booming with laughter John slaps Father Levingtons back "Father, you're OK. Now if only you could get this damn lift here!" John says with a smile in his voice.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy
As John spoke, the elevator arrived with a ding and both men got in. John pressed the buttons for both the lobby, where the exit was, and the basement, where the holding cells were. The elevator slowly descended. It stopped in the lobby and the doors opened to let the priest out.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:57 am
by TheAlchemist
Levington stepped out of the elevator.

"Goodnight Lieutenant. I need some sleep."

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:19 am
by seanarcher
"Keep in touch Father Levington, if Morpheus shows up in your neighbourhood let me know." John pushes the close door button after Father Levington steps out.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:27 am
by TheAlchemist
Heading for the closest exit, Father Levington steped outside and breathed in the night air. It was time to head home.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 am
by seanarcher
OOC,I hope we're not waiting for me?

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,No, actually we're waiting for me. I haven't had much sleep in a long time, and I can't really think straight. I should be able to update on Sunday.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:17 am
by seanarcher
OOC,fair enough mate, take your time :)

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
The elevator doors closed, and the elevator descended to the basement. John Yeager made his way down the corridor to the cell block.
OOC,[b]John Yeager[/b] is moving to the following thread.
Changes

Father Levington returned his visitor's pass at the front desk and left Police Headquarters. It was starting to get dark, the sun having only just set, and it would be completely dark by the time he got home. He got in his car and drove away.
OOC,[b]Father Levington[/b] is moving to the following thread.
Holy Holy