Page 1 of 1

Act One, Scene One - Arrival In Luxor.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 pm
by Aliktren
Beginning

You draw into Luxor on the tail of a storm. Fierce lightning traces streaks across the starless sky, illuminating every cracked street and dirty alley as the train slows from its long pull through the baking desert.
Through the windows, milky brown rivulets run down the pains as the first corpulent raindrops turns the fine sand coating the windows to mud, partially obscuring your view of the sights of the city, Chicago House is lost somewhere in the warrens of crumbling stucco shops and stacked tenements that sprawl across the city like shards of dusty pottery.
Through the mud streaked glass you can see the dimly lit station, and next to the platform sit several local police cars, each with a Driver, and five police are on foot striding determinedly in the direction of your carriage as the train pulls in.
Across the street from the station sits another car, and as your train comes to a halt, the driver steps out and waves cautiously in the direction of your carriage....

Re: Act One, Scene One - Arrival In Luxor.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm
by Tabs

Isopel Gelert peers out of the grimy window. "The police are busy tonight. Oh, look over there, Mr. Rawson, that man, the one waving, must be our driver." She slips into a British army greatcoat in readiness for the vile weather.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

Michael Finn rises to his feet, putting on his coat and hat. "Shall we go out and meet our welcoming committee, then, Miss Gelert?" he says, offering Isopel his arm.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm
by Garrett
Aswald wanders out into the rain, not bothering to don a heavier coat. "Ah, Egypt! Isn't is grand? He yells in a humorous tone, Arabic accent hanging thickly on his words. Hands resting in his pocket he casually strolls towards the vehicle.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am
by Tabs
"Why thank you, Mr. Finn." Isopel accepts the Irishman's arm. Again, she looks outside at the rain. "You know, I was confidently assured that I wouldn't need my brolly in Egypt."

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"My pleasure," says MIchael, guiding Isopel to the door and assisting her off the train. "It doesn't usually rain in Egypt, but a brolly would still be useful for shade when it's sunny. I'm sure they sell them somewhere."

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 am
by Tabs

Isopel, a little uncertain, says to Michael: "Is Aswald our servant?--do you think he'll carry my luggage?"

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm
by Garrett
Having very acute hearing Aswald heard the prompt given by the young woman and scowled a little before turning around. Stupid Europeans, they're always looking down on darkies like me. She sure is a tiny thing though, what the hell I guess I can help her. "No I'm not young lady." He calls out over his shoulder before turning and strolling over to her. "But I'd be delighted to help you." He says with a warm smile as leans down to retrieve the woman's heavier bags, himself only having one duffel that was now hanging around his neck. Bags in hand he turns back around and hurries to the car.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Our chariot awaits, my dear," says Michael, guiding Isopel by the arm after Aswald towards the car.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:15 pm
by Cearlan
A poorly dressed man, large by any standards and smelling faintly of cheap whiskey, approaches the party from the left and coughs to draw attention to himself. He stands a respectful distance from the group whilst he removes his hat and fingers the brim nervously; then in an Eastern American drawl he asks;

"'Scuse me folks, is this the party for the Bollancher archaeological team based from Chicago House." He looks down and adds "There is a lot of talk about the expedition going round the cafes and bars and to be honest I could certainly do with the work. I do have an interest in this sort of thing and having been around the world several times and have picked up a thing or two on my travels."

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:18 pm
by Garrett
Aswald scoffs, he knows a drunk when he sees one. "Yeah pal recruitment ain't are department,but I'll tell you right now you'll need better credentials then, 'being around the world a couple times'."
Bold is spoken in Arabic.
He says mockingly. Truthfully he was just a bit worried that taking on more people would reduce his pay for the expedition, he knew this sort of thing was often overstaffed.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 am
by Aliktren
As you stand in the beginnings of a rainstorm, the police approach quickly as you disembark and move to surround your little huddle as you talk.
"Papers, Yes, Papers, please to see all papers at once"

says the apparent leader.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am
by Tabs

Aswald picks up Isopels luggage. "Thank you, it is most kind of you, Mr. Chafulu--Aswald. I'm sorry, but I always struggle with the funny names of you people!"

She whispers to Michael: "Do you think that I ought to give the man a tip?"
"'Scuse me folks, is this the party for the Bollancher archaeological team based from Chicago House."
Conscious of her new role, as agreed with Mr. Rawson, Isopel answers: "Yes, here we are--it's us!"

When the police ask for their papers, Isopel immediately delves into her coat pocket and pulls out her passport.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm
by Garrett
Wow, really? Who the hell let this girl come to Egypt by herself? Or at all for that matter. Aswald thought to himself, growing a more then a little exasperated by this woman.

Seeing the police he immediately and instinctively gets a little nervous but he hides it flawlessly. He pulls out his passport and follows the proper procedure.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm
by Cearlan
As the police close in around the group, Terry hangs his head and smiles ruefully. Taking one hand from his hat he slowly moves it inside his coat and withdraws his papers, including his American passport. He waits patiently as the police work their way round the group.

When Isopel affirms that the group is indeed the Bollancher archaeological team he asks "Who is in charge here?" to ensure that he talks to the right person.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 pm
by Garrett
Aswald turns his head to see who answers, he had been wondering this himself.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's not a servant," MIchael replies to Isopel as he fishes out his passport and other identification papers. He hands them over to the policeman with a smile. "Top of the morning to you, Constable." He does not reply to the newcomer's inquiry, as he is not the one in charge, and he doesn't really know the answer himself.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:44 am
by Tabs
Wow, really? Who the hell let this girl come to Egypt by herself? Or at all for that matter. Aswald thought to himself, growing a more then a little exasperated by this woman.
Even Isopel, closeted by her upbringing, and a little silly anyway, feels that Aswald is unhappy. She resolves to be less condescending in future.
"Who is in charge here?"
[ooc: Mr. Rawson is, I suppose.]
"He's not a servant," MIchael replies to Isopel
"Oh--okay. I think I understand, now."

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 am
by Aliktren
One of the Policemen steps aside and roughly pushes Terry Morton into the huddle, demanding to see his papers as well.

As the lead policemen examines each of the papers in turn he dismisses them, almost without reading, and waves to his men to start guiding you back towards the train carriage.

"These papers no good, you need, err, permit, yes permit from Cairo, you are please to go back to Cairo and arrange proper papers, please to be getting back on the train now, thank you, yes, no papers for to be here, come come" and he gesticulates in the direction of the train as his men politely but firmly start ushering you backwards.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 pm
by Garrett
Ah what the hell is all this? Aswald thinks with great annoyance. Although, this might be a good time to show some of my more, worldly skills to my companions. He thinks slyly. Before anyone really realizes how, Aswald pulls the apparent chief a small distance away from the others and leans in close as he speaks. "Ah, but going back would be very inconvenient, I don't suppose we could just buy the permit here somehow?" He says with a small grin as he holds up a sizable bundle of cash.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3870151/ fast talk success 35,if you need it.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm
by Tabs
"'Permit'? Why do we need a permit?" says Isopel. She frowns, thinking hard on how to bypass the local police, but she sees Aswald talking to the "Chief," so waits, in hope, that the situation can be saved.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:25 pm
by Aliktren
The appearance of the cash brings a sudden silence to the small entourage of Police, and the leader stares at it for a moment, his priorities clearly torn now between whatever has brought him here and the sight of ready cash, with a grunt he grabs the cash from Aswalds hand and shoves it into a pocket in his uniform, nods curtly and with a wave of his hand he commands his men to leave, and they make their way back to the waiting police cars, without another mention of permits or passports.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm
by Garrett
"Well now that that little misunderstanding is cleared up, shall we go?" Aswald asks, walking towards the car without waiting for a response.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael grins as he follows Aswald, Isopel on his arm. "Well done, that man!" he says. "Nothing like a little baksheesh to grease the wheels, eh? If you drink, I'll buy you one the next time we get someplace that sells the hard stuff. If not, I'll treat you to a cup of coffee or tea, whichever you prefer."

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm
by Garrett
Aswald lets out a short, good natured laugh at the praise as he climbs into the car. "Yeah, I just might take you up on that."

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm
by DrPeterson
Mr. Rawson clucked his tongue disapprovingly.
"I do wish you hadn't given them that much, Aswald. This isn't Cairo, I'm sure he'd have gone for half that amount."

He sighs, brushes some dust off of his sleeve and gets into the car.

"No need to linger then! Time, after all, is money!"

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm
by Tabs
Isopel climbs into the car as well. She smiles her thanks to Aswald, and turns to Rawson: "Aswald did us a good turn, I trust you will reimburse him--I think the drinks are on you!" Isopel winks at Michael and says: "First round: Mr. Rawson."

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 pm
by Garrett
"Ah it's fine, with the money from this job I'm certainly not hurting for cash." Aswald says in a non-nonchalant tone, in his head though he made a mental note that cops here were cheaper to bribe. He did hate to waste money.
Hey just for appearances the Keeper said that Aswald only speaks broken English,but it's harder then you think to type that. Just letting you all know on the off chance it would change how your characters interact with him.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:25 am
by Cearlan
Terry climbs aboard if no-one stops him. "I hope no-one minds if I tag along." He introduces himself to the party;

"Hey there people, my name is Terry Morton, my friends call me Jelly Roll after the musician. Merchant Marine from Nantucket, well maybe ex Merchant Marine after my accident," he smiles ruefully.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:44 am
by Garrett
Aswald shoots an arm out to keep the man from climbing onto the car, without saying anything he turns to Mr. Rawson to see what he wants to do about this tag along. He lowers his arm when and if Mr. Rawson gives his approval.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael also boards the car. "The name's Michael Finn," he says to the newcomer. "So, what brings you to Egypt?"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm
by DrPeterson
Rawson smiles thinly at Isopel:
"Capital idea, Miss Gellert, though I suggest we meet up with the good professor to see what the goings on are before exploring the local nightlife."

He then turns to Terry and addresses him rather stiffly:
"I'm not the sort of man to leave another man out in weather like this, Mr Morton, our destination is Chicago House, but until we find out more about our work here, I can not guarantee a paid venture for you on this, though you seem quite able to hold your own."

When everyone's in the car, he motions to the driver to move.
"I take it you're instructed to bring us to Chicago House? "

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am
by Tabs

"Mr. Rawson, my surname, it's Gelert--'G'lert,' not Gellert," says Isopel pedantically; "mother always stressed the importance of naming correctly." She coughs, conscious that she made a hash of Aswald's surname. "Yes, let's go see the professor first."

She is unsure what to make of Terry Morton, but he seems to have been accepted by Rawson and Finn, so she keeps quiet on whether the "ex Merchant Marine" should be allowed in the car. She asks Terry politely: "'Accident'?"

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm
by DrPeterson
"Your mother was right to do so, Miss Gelert. I shall take note of it. My most sincere apologies.", he nods curtly and eyes the driver impatiently.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 pm
by Cearlan

Staring hard at Aswald, Terry says quietly "Easy there boy ... I ain't here to cause no harm to anyone, but that may not include those who get on the wrong side of me."
Garrett,No offence intended - just roleplaying there buddy ;)
Terry smiles grimly as he addresses Miss G'Lert. "Yes and an accident it was too Miss G'Lert - did I get that right enough Ma'am? It was about fourteen months ago, I was working deck on the USS Southern Belle that was docking at Alex(andria) when a mooring rope snapped and struck me on the shoulder. If it had hit me square on I'd have been cut near in half but fortunately I managed to duck at the last minute and the rope just caught me a glancing blow. It still did enough damage to shatter my shoulder blade though." Terry winces at the memory and shrugs his left shoulder somewhat gingerly.

"It still ain't one hundred percent, and the docs say the best I can hope for is about where I am today, but I believe different - I can get better. I had the chance to go back to the States to get myself patched up, but I chose to stay in Egypt. Since getting thrown out the hospital, I been making some money by playing piano in the local bars and clubs. I still see a few of the old guys from the Belle once in a while, in fact she just left Alex a few days since bound for Lisbon." Terry takes a deep breath and continues. "Anyhow, I was working the bar at Groppi's when I heard about this archaeological dig that was about to take place and was meeting up here today. And so here I am!" Morton spreads his hands out, palms up.

"As for my history and credentials, nothin' formal as I left high school as soon as I could to join up in the Merchant Marine. See I got me a passion for the old scrimshaw items that Nantucket was famous for, not the junk sold to rich tourists, but the real stuff. As I travelled round the world, I got a taste for all sorts of old stuff. Had to sell what I had, what I didn't have stolen, to pay my hospital bill. There is my life in a nutshell"

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 pm
by Garrett
'Ooooh, tough guy' Aswald thinks to himself with mock fear. On the surface however he immediately lowers his arm at Rawson's approval and smiles at the new companion. "Sorry sir, I certainly don't mean to cause trouble.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, you've probably traveled even more than I have, Mr. Morton," says Michael, offering his hand to Terry. "I only go where the expeditions take me. Never thought of becoming a sailor, but this line of work is interesting and fun."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 am
by Aliktren
At Rawsons impatient glance the driver nods and starts the engine, pulling away into the dark streets of Luxor. Whisking you quickly through the narrow streets to the riverfront.

As you pull up, bolts of lightning split the sky, and the crash of thunder rolls over the city. The building you have come to stands apart from the muddy shacks and dilapidated slums of the waterfront, with its high, clean walls, manicured trees and tall windows that tremble with the rolling thunder.

A crack of lightning illuminates a sign long enough for you to confirm you are at your destination, Chicago House.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:10 pm
by Garrett
"Well, lets get out of this rain shall we?" Aswald says picking up the bags he had previously been carrying and jumping out of the car.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm
by Tabs
Miss G'Lert - did I get that right enough Ma'am?
Isopel blushes: she must think before she speaks. You are used to talking with servants and children, note to self: try and converse like an adult! She says: "Yes, right enough, Mr. Morton."

She listens to Terry's story. "A lucky escape, but I'm sorry about your shoulder." When he mentions playing the piano, Isopel clutches her hands together with pleasure. "Oh, Mr. Morton! I love to sing. Maybe, if you have some spare time, we could accompany each other?" A soirée would be wonderful. I wonder if he has a grand piano?

"Well, lets get out of this rain shall we?"
"Absolutely. I'll ask the butler for hot tea."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm
by DrPeterson
"What a suitably dramatic weather to start our venture here!", Herbert looks out at the downpour and sighs as prepares to get out of the car.

"I'm sure the professor will accommodate us with hot tea and a stiff drink to warm our souls and dry our skins. Now knowing this, let us venture out into this mad weather! Once more unto the breach, dear friends!", he gets out, briskly stepping towards the gate of Chicago House.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 pm
by Garrett
"Yes indeed!" Aswald says cheerily at Herberts remark. Pansy ass Europeans, I've slept outside in worse weather then this. He thinks to himself arrogantly.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Most Egyptians would probably be grateful for more weather like this," says Michael. "A lot of this country is desert, except for the area near the Nile. Still, let's not spend any more time in it than we have to." He gathers his things, gets out of the car, and hurries for the front door.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm
by Aliktren
As you disembark the car and step forward you are confronted by Chicago House.

Steps rise from the gate to a stone courtyard overlooking the grounds. Tall windows flank a pair of elaborate great doors on the side opposite your approach

There is a wet squelch as Micky advances, and on examination you find you have crushed a small frog. Looking up you are all able to see that the courtyard is slowly seething, not a trick of the darkness, the entire courtyard moves slowly, heaving with frogs, small frogs, large frogs, unaccountably packed into every nook of the courtyard like a living carpet. you can see a single guttering light from somewhere within the building, but apart from the frogs the place is utterly silent and otherwise dark. The doors are closed.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm
by Aliktren

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm
by Garrett
"AHH!" Aswald yells in surprise, dropped the bags he was carrying, with the exception of the duffel that is still around his neck."Get off me you slimy little Hayawanaat!" Aswald screams out, as well as other various Arabic swear words as he pulls out his machete. He hesitates for a moment, not sure where to start, before he begins viciously stomping and hacking with his machete into the giant green blanket; attempting to get the frogs away from him.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 pm
by DrPeterson

Rawson recoils in disgust, looking somewhat aghast at the writhing mass of amphibians. He looks at Mickey before heading back to the car.
"Mr Finn, would you be so good as to ring and announce our presence? This is all highly irregular!"

Back at the car, he frowns at Isopel,
"Miss Gelert, perhaps it is prudent you wait in the car for a moment longer."
He then turns to the driver and asks rather sternly:
"I was under the impression that Professor Bollancher was expecting us, but there's no one here apart from an oversized collection of frogs! Explain yourself, man!"

"And by Jove, Aswad, desist your mutilation of those critters, you're more likely to cut your own toe off, swinging like that!"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 am
by Garrett
"Tozz fiik you ibn iš-šarmuuTa!" Aswald yells back at Rawson without thinking, brimming from adrenaline. It's doubtful Rawson, or any of his companions, understood what he said but from the tone one would assume it wasn't friendly. Aswald proceeds slowly towards the manors door, stomping on the smaller frogs and slicing at the big ones.
OOC-
I don't know if you saw the post earlier but all bold is spoken in Arabic,in case your curious what he said translates roughly to 'screw you you son of a whore.'

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, Mr. Rawson," says Michael, striding to the front door and trying to avoid stepping on more frogs. "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Have the plagues of Egypt returned? What next? The Nile turning to blood? Locusts? Hailstones?" Shaking his head, he rings the doorbell.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 am
by Aliktren
The Driver looks as perplexed as anyone when challenged by Mr Rawson, "not like this earlier sir, perhaps the storm" and he shrugs, and turns, watching Aswald in amazement.

For Mickey, the doorbell remains unanswered,and the elaborately designed doors adorned with ancient Egyptian motifs remain firmly closed.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 pm
by Garrett
OOC- I didn't quite understand the last post, does that mean the door was locked for me and Mr. Handy too? If so Aswald tries to pick it with his skeleton key.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3884405/ success 49.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:19 pm
by Tabs
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!"
Isopel wracks her brains for a suitable Shakespeare reply, but alas, she wasn't paying attention during Mr. Ramsay's English Lit. class. She giggles: "He-he!"

[Aswald] begins viciously stomping and hacking with his machete into the giant green blanket
She presses her nose to the glass of the car window.

"Do you think he's alright? In the head, I mean."

"Miss Gelert, perhaps it is prudent you wait in the car for a moment longer."
"Yes." She watches the moving mass of animals in the courtyard. "Frogs, why did it have to be frogs?"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:23 pm
by Tabs
[ooc: I think that no one has answered the doorbell and the door is locked.]

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:03 pm
by Aliktren
OOC - position check,yes you guys are cracking on so two of you were heading to the door,I assumed as Mickey simply strode there he now has both messy shoes and was first there, as no hacking was involved!! OOC : dont forget there are 5 peeps in the party - at this point Aswald and Mickey are by the door together, Isopel is in the car with Mr Rawson and Terry just be aware you may need to go a little slowly now so we all enjoy the innards of Chicago House without missing anything :)

After a very brief struggle with the lock Aswald hears a satisfying snick and the door is unlocked and can be opened.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm
by Garrett
"Haha!" Aswald yells as he pushes the door open. "IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A RUN FOR THE HOUSE NOW IS THE TIME!" He yells back at the car before turning to Michael, "We should probably wait for them before we continue huh?" he says grudgingly, clearly wanting to get in the house and away from the rain and vermin outside. He then looks back into the courtyard where he had dropped Isopel's bags, and I should really go back for those, ah screw it I'll just say I forgot about them in the heat of the moment He thinks to himself.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:31 am
by Cearlan
"Just wait here ma'am till we see what's going on hereabouts." intones Terry gravely as he heads out of the car, crunching on the carpet of amphibians with his full weight.

Grimacing at the feel of crunching bones under his feet, he calls to the driver "Is there any way you can get closer to the steps man?"

Ascending the steps up to the portico he reaches Aswald and says "Great job with the door there - didn't get your name back there by the way."

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:58 am
by DrPeterson

Rawson frowns deeply, trying to grasp something of the cacophony Aswad shouted, but gives up with a shrug.
He looks back to the driver and nods in a friendlier fashion than before.
"Yes, it must be the sudden downpour that drove those creatures out of hiding!", he proclaims knowledgeably, subtly echoing the driver's assumption.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
As Terry gets out of the car, Rawson notices the open gate and exclaims his delight.
"Ah! It looks like the door is open after all!"

Quite oblivious he tells the driver:"I trust you will see to our luggage being brought inside?"
Not really waiting for an answer, he turns back to Isopel :
"Miss Gelert, might I have the honoured of trying to escort you through this amphibious maze, or shall we ask Mr Morton to carry you?"

Rawson awaits Isopel's answer outside of the car, rivulets of rain running down his face and trailing his scarred cheek.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 am
by Garrett
"Aswad Chafulumisa my friend." Aswald replies happily, returning to his calm, friendly demeanor now that he is somewhat removed from the craziness about. Aswald peers into the darkness of the house but waits for the others before entering.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, nicely done," Michael says to Aswald. He also looks inside through the open door.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm
by Tabs
the courtyard where he had dropped Isopel's bags
. . . and as Terry heads to the portico.

"Mr. Morton, please would you pick up my luggage, especially my crocodile skin suitcase, on your way to the house. Aswad seems to have dropped them--in his struggle with the frogs."

"Miss Gelert, might I have the honoured of trying to escort you through this amphibious maze, or shall we ask Mr Morton to carry you?"
"Escort me, please." She ignores the other suggestion.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm
by Cearlan
Garrett wrote:"Aswad Chafulumisa my friend." Aswald replies happily, returning to his calm, friendly demeanor now that he is somewhat removed from the craziness about.
"Put it there buddy!" says Terry extending his hand "... looks as though this lot will need someone keeping a bit of out for them. Ah ... if I may put it bluntly as 'men of the world' I reckon that'll be you and me, though that Michael character seems as though he can take care of himself as well."
Garrett wrote:Aswald peers into the darkness of the house but waits for the others before entering.
Terry follows Aswald's gaze towards the house framed by the downpour
Tabs wrote: "Mr. Morton, please would you pick up my luggage, especially my crocodile skin suitcase, on your way to the house. Aswad seems to have dropped them--in his struggle with the frogs."
With a grin on his open face, Morton nudges Aswald in the ribs Terry and adds "See what I mean?"

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 pm
by Garrett
Aswald shakes his hand firmly, "Yes I'd certainly agree with that statement. Can you imagine if Mr. Rawson or that girl were here without someone who knew what they were doing watching their back? Hell, that's probably half the reason I got hired." He says quietly, then releases a short laugh.
OOC-I'm assuming from the fact your guy can speak Arabic seeing as he's been in Cairo for a year, if not Aswald would just repeat the statement in English

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:37 am
by Cearlan
OOC I would assume a little knowledge of spoken arabic, if only a little after being under the auspices of the Cairene Doctors for a year.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 am
by DrPeterson
Rawson took Isopel's hand and escorted her through the frogs, sweeping them away as best as he could with his feet.

When they finally arrive at the door he looks up at the other men and says:
"Let's see if we can find some light in here and finally get out of this infernal downpour."

Almost as an afterthought, he adds:
"Oh, let us not forget about Miss Gelert's bags."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 am
by Garrett
Aswald slowly proceeds into the house, putting his machete away first so as not to look like an intruder. As he walks down the hall he rubs his hand on the wall trying to find a light switch.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

MIchael also steps inside and searches for a light switch along the other wall.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 am
by Tabs
Isopel waits under the portico. Her coat collar is soaked--cold water trickles down her back, and there is an eviscerated frog stuck to her shoe heel; Isopel feels unhappy.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 pm
by Aliktren
As Mickey and Aswald feel for the lights, there is an enormous flash of lightning that lights the room like day, hanging on a rope from the center beam of the cluttered room is a body.

OOC: anyone looking into the room or in the room make SAN rolls please.
for Mr Rawson,clearly the body of your employer Professor Aaron Bollancher

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 pm
by Aliktren

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 pm
by DrPeterson
Rawson gasps as he recognises the body. Visibly shaken by the scene
Spoiler:
he lets go of Isopel's hand and runs in, trying to lift the body of Bollicher.

"You men! Help me cut him down!", he cries out as he frantically tries to raise the body up as high as he can.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:03 pm
by Cearlan
"Great heavens!" cries Terry as he drops the cases and rushes past Isopel. He quickly rights the overturned chair and climbs up whilst drawing his pocket knife and proceeds to cut the unfortunate suicide victim down. "Someone take the lady away so she don't have to bear witness this." he calls out over his shoulder as he cuts at the rope suspending the professor.

"Mr. Rawson, I seen some of these suicide attempts before. You might want to be careful how you hold him as they often soil themselves pretty bad when they are cut down." he adds quietly to Rawson.
San roll,- pass - I seen far worse at sea and in the whorehouses of the far east; http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3890730/

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 pm
by Garrett
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3891019/ success 41.
Shit, that's unexpected. Ah crap if that's our employer the job might be off, and that would mean no pay! Aswald thinks to himself with mild alarm.
"Oh my, is that poor man our employer?!" He quickly speaks out with well faked concern.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

MIchael doesn't even flinch - he has seen worse during the fighting in Ireland. "Stay outside, Miss Gelert!" he calls as he moves forward to assist with the body. "Sure an' it looks like the bloke. We'll need a blanket or something to cover him once he's down so the lady doesn't see him. What could have possessed him that he would do this?"

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 pm
by Tabs
Isopel does as she is told. She fumbles a cigarette out of its packet and thumbs the lighter wheel anxiously. The slightly soggy stick of tobacco will not catch light.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 pm
by DrPeterson

Rawson lets go of Bollicher's body as the other two men handle it.
He backs away, checking his clothes for stains and sits down in the desk chair, not taking his eyes of Bollicher.

"Is he-is he still alive?"

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Somehow I doubt it," says Michael, "but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check. Did he leave a note anywhere explaining why he did this? Maybe in his pocket..."

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am
by Aliktren
For Mickey as you examine the body....,The professors body is still warm so he died very recently The professor’s hands, coat, and the soles of his shoes are smeared with blood; a pair of broken glasses is stuffed into one pocket, along with a bloody kitchen knife. His forehead glistens slightly and smells funny, and a stopped vial of the oil rests in his vest pocket. His clothes are soaked with water, and a puddle of water and urine has collected on the floor beneath the body.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm
by Cearlan
"I'll check the desk then!" says Terry helpfully.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 pm
by DrPeterson

Rawson just looks at the professor's body, not really registering what either of the others is saying or doing.
He shakes his head in disbelief, muttering something along the lines of "but he asked us to come here, why would he do that, how could he do that..."

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm
by Tabs
Isopel looks through the front door. "What's going on in there?"

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:19 pm
by Aliktren
For Terry,Resting on the largest table you find a large piece of granite in the shape of a tetragon, there is, however, no note

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am
by Cearlan
OOC Looking at the tetragon (I had to look that one up) what do I see?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 am
by Garrett
God dammit the jobs definately off now. Aswald thinks bitterly, mad that he had come all the way from Cairo for nothing. Hearing the girls question he calls out over his shoulder. "Looks like Mr. professor offed himself, recently too." His tone does nothing to hide the annoyance he felt.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael whistles under his breath. "Yeah, he couldn't have been dead long," he says, taking care to avoid touching the knife. "Got a bloody knife in his pocket, and blood all over his coat, hands, and feet, but it's not his blood - he doesn't have any wounds. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more bodies about this place. His speccies are broken, and he's got a vial of oil on him. I wonder if that's what's on his forehead. His clothes are all soaking wet, too."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 am
by Tabs
"Looks like Mr. professor offed himself
"Oh!"

Isopel worked alongside her father, a well-known surgeon, so she isn't too squeamish regards blood; and, frankly she is curious as to Michael's comments. She enters Chicago House.

[ooc: Aliktren, do you want me to make a SAN roll?]

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am
by Aliktren
ooc -as she is well prepared by your companions, you need not make a SAN roll at this point .

Terry examines the stone :

The stone is worn smooth on one face, as if by wind or water, the opposite side is stamped with a singular rune

ooc : anyone examining the rock may make arch. rolls, and yes I had to google tetragon as well!

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 pm
by DrPeterson
"How could he...a bloody knife...A knife?!"

Rawson seems to snap to and stands up again, looking around the room frantically.
Spoiler:
"Rose!", he suddenly cries out, "MRS BOLLACHER!"

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 pm
by Aliktren
There is a resounding silence in answer to Mr Rawsons cries.... the building is silent.

Mr Rawsons frantic searching of the room and shouts turns up nothing but a large number of books, papers and leaflets dedicated to Egyptology and Archaeology (nothing Eldritch or Arcane)

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm
by DrPeterson

Rawson seems spurred to action by the deafening silence, rallies himself and steps up to his freshly-remember assignment as leader of this team.

"Mr Finn, when you've finished searching the Professor's pockets, be so kind as to cover him and join me in looking for whoever's blood is on that knife."

He then looks to the American with a resolute look.

"Mr Morton, be so kind as to the search the east wing of the building. Be careful, there may still be dangerous men at large."

He then looks at Aswad and Isopel.
"Mss Gelert, would you be so kind as to perhaps find a telephone and inform the authorities. The British authorities if you can get a hold of them and not that lot we ran into at the station.
Aswaf, keep a watchful eye on Mss Gelert
."

"Right, off we go!"

Rawson straightens his jacket and heads to the west wing.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 pm
by Tabs
"Telephone--yes, certainly," says Isopel. She looks round the room, if/when she finds a telephone, she'll dial the operator and ask for the British Embassy--"Shall I call the British Embassy?"

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 pm
by Garrett
Aswald releases a small groan but does as the Dr. says nonetheless. Staying in the same room as Isopel but approaching the body. He takes a deep breath before bowing his head and reciting a brief prayer. "‘O Allaah, this man is under your care and protection, so protect him from the trial of the grave and torment of the Fire. Indeed You are faithful and truthful. Forgive and have mercy upon him, surely You are The Oft-Forgiving, The Most-Merciful’." Aswald wasn't a particularly religious man but the dead always reminded him that he too would die eventually, and this threw a little fear of God into him. In response to Isopel's question he chimes in with slight annoyance. "Just call 911(or whatever Egyptian equivalent is), it's a serious crime not to report a dead body. And I can't afford another mark on my rap sheet he thinks to himself as an afterthought.
[Spoiler-Button]Bold is spoken in Arabic[/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:29 am
by Cearlan
As Rawson starts to leave for the west wing, Terry calls out. "Rawson, sure, I'll look in the East wing, but I reckon it would be very unwise to split us up right now."

Depending on the size of the stone he slips it into his coat pocket. If it's too big for his pocket, then he'll alert Aswald to it.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 am
by Garrett
"Yeah splitting up is generally a bad idea." Aswald says to Rawson, making no effort to speak loud enough for the others to hear him. He feels like Rawson and Michael were the only people worth having around in this situation, and he'd settle for just one. Aswald proceeds to lean against the wall so that nobody could sneak up on him. He then draws his machete and starts wiping the frog guts off with his handkerchief, keeping an eye on every entrance to this room.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael looks around for a blanket or sheet to cover the corpse, using the dead man's own coat if he fails to find anything suitable, then follows Rawson into the west wing. He keeps his pistol in his hand, ready for anything.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am
by DrPeterson

Herbert Rawson frowns deeply and turns around, the doorknob in his hand.

"Very well, then either stay here with Mss Gelert and Aswad, or join us. Whatever the case, we need eyes in our back."

He turns to Isopel with a considerably gentler disposition.

"The Embassy would be outstanding, Mss Gelert. Whatever is going on here would no doubt benefit from some British discretion and efficiency. Oh, in the meantime Aswad, could you look for more clues, a suicide note rolled under the couch, anything that could be useful?"

He gives Michael a nod, takes a deep breath and walks through the door to the west wing.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 am
by Tabs
[ooc: I like the prayer for the dead.]

Isopel hears Aswald's opinion on who to call, then, Dr. Rawson says to phone the embassy--so that is what she'll do.

[ooc: Is there a telephone? and is it connected?]

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm
by Cearlan
Terry looks on the East wall for the door and heads towards it. "Well here goes!" Standing with his hand on the door handle, he turns his head towards Aswald and once Miss G'lert is busy with the telephone he says quietly; "Watch yourself Aswald. I mistrust Rawson, he's got too high an opinion of himself to listen to the likes of you and I, even when we are right - eh?"

Winking at the Arab, he turns the handle of the door and enters the next room closing the door behind him and is gone.

OOC Assuming the door is not locked.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 pm
by Garrett
Aswald offers a small nod and replies. "Don't get yourself killed." Though he's not sure why he starts doing as the doctor says and looking for things in the room that might pertain to the body, and anything that looked valuable while he's at it. To the woman he speaks again. "Seriously, just call 911, there's nothing those Brits are gonna do that the Egyptian police can't, and this is their jurisdiction."
spot hidden 40, fail I think. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3898587/

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael rolls his eyes when Rawson mentions "British discretion and efficiency." In his experience, the British authorities have been anything but discreet, and their efficiency has been nothing but brutal. He doesn't particularly care for the local Egyptian police either, as they've proven corrupt, but at least they could be bribed if necessary. The problem was that they would undoubtedly make it necessary and shake them down for whatever they could. He accompanies Rawson into the west wing. Somebody has to look after him, he thinks.
OOC,I'm pretty sure 911 (or 999, the British equivalent) didn't exist at this point in time.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 am
by Aliktren
OOC : there are two doors leading east from this room, the room opens out going west with a very small dividing wall, apologies if that was not clear - leading east one is a large double door so assuming you take that one.
OOC : yes 911 is an Americanism, widespread telephone use started in the 50s, the Canadians first used one emergency number in 1959!! (Brits in the 30's) - so Chicago House may have had a telephone but it's not very likely
OOC : the stone is to large for a pocket but would fit in a satchel or similar

Isopel and Aswald
Isopels search for a telephone proves fruitless.

Rawson and Mickey moving west
As Rawson and Mickey proceed west there is a small dividing wall and then the room opens out, with a large square room apparently occupying the middle of this space. Clearly a Library, enormous bookshelves line the walls of the room, floor to vaulted ceiling, interspersed with trophies and rifles. The trophies take on an eerie presence when they are lit by the flickering lightning from the tall windows to the North. Comfortable wickers chairs are placed about the room with a pair of stuffed leather chairs facing an enormous fireplace. The smell of burnt incense hangs in the air. In the fireplace a large pile of ashes smolders and flickers with occasional small flames, and the dim light from the fire catches on the cold dead eyes of two bodies, one in each leather chair, gazing with unblinking stares at the fireplace.

Terry moving east

Terry tries the large double door to the east and finds it unlocked, opening it out and moving inside he finds he is in what is probably the servants quarters, a pair of long scarred tables are lit dimly by the lightning, which also highlights the roaches running over the dirty plates and bowls. The room leads round to the North (there is a door straight in from of you that is open and apparently leads outside)

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm
by Tabs
"No telephone," says Isopel to Aswald. "I think I'll follow Mr. Morton." She goes to open the east double door.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 pm
by DrPeterson

Rawsonpales as he sees the two men and rushes towards them.

"My Lord! Timothy! William!"

He shakes them until he notices his efforts are in vain and then clutches the ornate fireplace, stabilising himself as he peers into the fire.

"What is this devilry, Mr Finn? What other horrors are we to find here?"

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 pm
by Garrett
Figuring he's better off not being alone Aswald heads in Terry's direction, blade out and moving cautiously.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm
by Cearlan
Terry moves quietly and slowly along the south wall towards the open door. He looks around the corner across the two tables. When he can before he heads to the door to the outside and sees what lies out there.

When his head goes through the door-frame he quickly draws it back in when he hears the double doors behind him open. "What are you doing Miss G'lert, It's not safe here; please stay back in there with Aswald. At least till we can be sure the areas are clear. Did you manage to get through to the police at all Ma'am?"

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know," says Michael, shaking his head, "but sure and we're going to find out. It's as I'd feared. I can only hope that some survived here." He examines the bodies to see if there are any clues as to how they died.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am
by Tabs
"Oh, okay," says Isopel in a quiet voice to Terry. "Do be careful, Mr. Morton. And you, too, Mr.--er--Aswald." She stops by the door jamb, peering forwards into the dark room. "There isn't a telephone, I'm afraid."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 pm
by Aliktren
Terry, Isopel, Aswald

As Terry checks the door to the outside it's obviously just a side entrance to Chicago House, probably the servants entrance, there is nothing of interest

Mickey in the Library

There's a faint whiff of something, nuts?, but no sign of any trauma

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm
by DrPeterson

Rawson takes his hand away from the mantle piece and looks in disgust at the dark red liquid sticking to it, he shows his hand to Mickey and just as he is about to look at the source of the stain, his eyes widen as he sees the fingers in front of the fire.

"Mr Finn, I believe there is something in the fireplace, would you be so kind as to take it out?"

Rawson pulls a handkerchief out of his pocket and wipes his hand clean as he kneels down to examine the fingers, his voice detached, almost as if something in his mind snapped and he is merely witnessing events and not living them.

"Something is rotten in the sta... Mr Finn, these fingers...", he can barely believe what he is seeing, let alone describing, "these fingers are arranged in Germanic Runes,...they signify a death by drowning..."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:55 pm
by Cearlan
Terry sighs to himself. "Sorry Miss G'lert, I ain't used to women-folk handling this kinda situation well. Hell! I know a lot of men who couldn't. Beggin' pardon miss - I'm a sailor and it just slips out sometimes. Of course I'd be easier in my mind having both you and Aswald along with me. But please stay close to either Aswald or myself." Terry looks meaningfully at Aswald before he heads towards the double doors on the South wall that he passed as he went towards the open door by the tables. He gestures Aswald and Isopel against the wall "Stay close to the wall now - we don't know what may lay ahead and I'd rather you two be safe."
He tries the handle - opening it if it is unlocked and peering inside he sees ...

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm
by Garrett
Aswald makes no objection to being kept out of the line of fire, he just stays against the wall, keeps his machete out, and stays alert.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, these two didn't drown, that's for certain," says Michael as he strides over to the fireplace. "No sign of injury either, so I'd lay my money on poison. I smelled a faint odour of nuts. If it's almonds, that suggests cyanide, which smells like them. I think I read that in an Agatha Christie once." He picks up a pair of fireplace tongs, kneels down, and looks into the fireplace to find out what's in there.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 pm
by Aliktren
For Michael:
for michael,Their is a mound of smouldering ashes, you can just about make out that papers and possibly photos might have been the source but there is absolutely nothing recoverable, a single cube of a crystal/stone ? - sits atop the mound, it is also smoking gently giving off a very strong smell of incense (if you ask Rawson he knows what it is...) Written in a dark red liquid upon the fireplace mantle, now smeared slightly by Rawsons hands : A F W L A O K O E D N I O N L G D N O I N L E E S and before the fireplace, the severed digits arranged in what Rawson described as a Germanic Rune

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 pm
by Aliktren
For Terry

The double doors are unlocked, leading into a small passage with four further doors, 2 on either side, all shut, no lights are visible under the doors.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like some papers and maybe photographs were burned in here, Mr. Rawson," Michael says, "but they're too far gone to salvage. There's also a cube of something that smells like incense." He fetches it out with the tongs, then examines the mantle. "Awaken Old Ones. Flooding Nile. That's what the letters say, boss. You can decode it by taking every other letter. Of course, knowing what it says doesn't reveal what it means."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,Heads to the left (East); tails the right;- heads it is!
Calling back to Aswald, Terry describes the scene before him. "Aswald; I got me four doors off a hallway here, two aside. I'm going to go clockwise from the first one on the left, be prepared to cover me and protect Miss G'lert if need be - alright." Terry tries the door-handle of the first room on the left and opens the door if it is not locked once Aswald has responded.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm
by Tabs
Isopel steps into the kitchen [ ? ] and looks for a handy weapon: a knife or rolling pin.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm
by Garrett
"Alright, be careful." Aswald calls back, as he casually strolls into the kitchen with Isopel. He continues to keep an eye out for an intruder or things worth stealing, but not expecting to find anything in the kitchen he pulls open the ice box looking for something to drink, preferably alcoholic.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:08 pm
by DrPeterson

He nods, visibly impressed by Michael's quick wit. Rawson leans closer and looks at the frankincense cone.
"Most peculiar, Mr Finn, most peculiar indeed! Why would one burn frankincense after destroying these papers?"

Rawson shakes his head and straightens his jacket.

"Let us venture on and see what other calamity we shall encounter, I fear we have yet to see the worst."

He casts one last look at the two dead men and moves on.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Whoever is responsible for this clearly isn't right in the head," says Michael, following along.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 am
by Aliktren
Terry in the Servants Quarters

As Terry rattles the door to see if it's unlocked you hear some subdued terrified cries from the other side of the door, the door appears to be barred from the inside as no amount of fiddling with the lock will open it.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm
by Aliktren
Isopel and Aswald in the Kitchen area

Isopel finds a large wooden rolling pin in the sink, it is well used but otherwise serviceable.

The Ice boxes contain a number of cold cooked meals and some fresh vegetables, but nothing to drink other than a large jug of cold water.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 pm
by Garrett
Aswald lets out a low groan and shuts the ice box. "Find anything?" Aswald yells out to nobody in particular.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm
by Cearlan
"Uh, Yeah Aswald - you any good with locked doors? Careful as there's someone in here though, and they sound mighty scared." Terry calls back to Isopel and Aswald.

Turning his attention to the door once more he tries the handle once more, this time trying to 'persuade' the door a little with his shoulder as he calls through the door, "Hello! ... Are you alright? ... you are safe - can you unlock the door so we can help you?"
OOC,[color=#FF4000]I did consider lockpick but with only the base of 1% it's almost pointless - aw what the hell - here goes - [url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3920379/[/url] - so close yet so far away.[/color]

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 am
by Garrett
Aswald makes his way to the door, however rather then force it open he speaks, figuring that its better not to force open a door on a cornered, terrified, possible armed person. He leans against the wall just a bit away from the door, and speaks in a quick, calm tone. "Hey, are you alright in their? Everything's okay now, we're friends of the owner of this estate and it looks like whoever did this is gone. It's safe to come out now."
Fast talk success 28 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3920584/

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm
by Aliktren
The terrified whispering inside the room dies away and the door is unbarred and opened. Six sets of terrified eyes peer out at you, somewhat re-assured by your appearance, the six people, all apparently locals, slowly move out of the room, looking around nervously.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:12 pm
by Garrett
"It's alright now, whoever did this is gone." Aswald says firmly trying to keep the people calm. "Can you tell us what happened here?" Dear God what did happen here, even a murder probably wouldn't leave people this shaken. Aswald thinks to himself while waiting for a response.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm
by Cearlan
Seeing the terrified people exit the room, Terry calls out "Miss G'lert, we could sure use your help here right about now ... we got some scared people in need of reassurance."

Casting a quick glance over at Aswald, he tries to convey some understanding of their plight without words. "Yes, yes come into the kitchen and please tell us what has happened here to cause you such distress?" he tries in Arabic. "نعم، نعم يأتي إلى المطبخ وتخبرنا ما حدث هنا لتسبب لك الضيق من هذا القبيل؟"
OOC,(Success 31% - rolled 20% [url][roll=Terry 'Jelly Roll' Morton]#3922923[/roll][/url] Also tries persuade / fast talk to reassure the crowd. Success if persuade and miss by 1% if fast talk roll=Terry 'Jelly Roll' Morton]#3922927[/roll])

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm
by Aliktren
There is a short pause and then several people start talking at once in an excited babble and from the cacophony you learn the following :

رأيت في المساء، وأضاف السيد Bollancher مسحوق المشروبات إلى اثنين من المتدربين، له يا سيدي، رأيت له القيام بذلك!

حصلت بينما كانوا يشربون سيدي، سيد، جاء إلى المطبخ، يا سيدي، تولى أكبر سكين والجرف انه طرحه أرضا، فوضى، خائفة جدا ونحن في هذا

كل واحد منا خائفا جدا، خائفة جدا. كان Bollancher مثل رجل مجنون يا سيدي، رجل مجنون، الله يحمينا.

قتل كان تابعت له، يا سيدي، مع السكين، قلق للغاية I، رأيته، لطيفة ريجنالد يا سيدي، هذا رجل لطيف، له يا سيدي، قتلوه أمام بأم عيني سيدي.

ركضنا سيدي، ركض لحياتنا عندما قتل سيد ريجنالد واختبأ هادئة جدا،

والسير الأطفال، ما حدث للأطفال، ومربية؟

الله يحمينا يا سيدي، الحمد لله الذي انقذنا

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm
by Garrett
If that's arabic can I get it translated,you know cause Aswald can speak arabic?

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:58 pm
by Aliktren
OOC : yes Terry or Aswald should understand this, Terry has a PM with the original if google fracks it up

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:37 pm
by Cearlan
"Whoah there fellahs! Please slow down ... one at a time."

Once the group quietens a bit I get the following ...
Aliktren wrote:
رأيت في المساء، وأضاف السيد Bollancher مسحوق المشروبات إلى اثنين من المتدربين، له يا سيدي، رأيت له القيام بذلك!

حصلت بينما كانوا يشربون سيدي، سيد، جاء إلى المطبخ، يا سيدي، تولى أكبر سكين والجرف انه طرحه أرضا، فوضى، خائفة جدا ونحن في هذا

كل واحد منا خائفا جدا، خائفة جدا. كان Bollancher مثل رجل مجنون يا سيدي، رجل مجنون، الله يحمينا.

قتل كان تابعت له، يا سيدي، مع السكين، قلق للغاية I، رأيته، لطيفة ريجنالد يا سيدي، هذا رجل لطيف، له يا سيدي، قتلوه أمام بأم عيني سيدي.

ركضنا سيدي، ركض لحياتنا عندما قتل سيد ريجنالد واختبأ هادئة جدا،

والسير الأطفال، ما حدث للأطفال، ومربية؟

الله يحمينا يا سيدي، الحمد لله الذي انقذنا
Which I relate as:

"As far as I can make out, in the evening, Bollancher added powder to the drinks the two interns.

As they were drinking, Bollancher came to kitchen, took the largest knife, knocked the shelf over, which scared them.

All of them were very scared of Bollancher who acted like a mad man.

He,
indicating the fellow who was speaking, followed Bollancher and saw him, kill someone called Reginald, which made them hide in here.

He is asking about some children and a nanny ... any ideas?"
Terry turns to the Arabian who spoke for the group

Where would the nanny's quarters be, we can check there next?

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 am
by DrPeterson

Rawson puts his hand on the doorknob of the centre library room, he looks at Mickey, nods and opens the door.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm
by Tabs
[ ooc: I'm having problems connecting to the site . . . ]

"Okay, Mr. Morton, I'll do my best." Isopel lays down the rolling pin and approaches the Arabs, smiling and making soothing noises (she hopes).

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael peers through the opening door, his pistol in his right hand.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 am
by Cearlan
Recognising that there is nothing more to be gained from the servants and leaving Isopel to handle the poor frightened servants, Terry redoubles his efforts when he hears that there may be the safety of children at stake here. He goes to the next door and tries the handle.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:25 am
by Aliktren
Micheal and Rawson :

The sharp tang of chemicals assails your senses as you open the door. The room is obviously a darkroom, but is now in disarray, with spilled chemicals slopping over piles of torn negatives, photographic paper and smashed cameras.

Terry

At mention of Children there is some pointing to the rooms opposite from the assembled servants.

Isopel and Aswald

Finding themselves out of immediate danger, the servants settle down, apparently relieved, and are quiet

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 pm
by Cearlan
Before he can reach the (second?) door handle though he follows the direction the servants are pointing and tries that door instead. Nerves at stretching point he puts his ear to the door and listens.
Invisible Castle Roll,http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3933158/ Successful if no penalties

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 pm
by Tabs
"'Children'?"

Isopel gets busy, "domestic" busy. "Aswald, ask the servants about light--an oil lamp or something--and how do I boil water?--tea and coffee all round, I think.

"I wonder what Mr. Rawson and Mr. Finn are doing?"

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 pm
by Garrett
How do you boil water, is she freaking serious? Aswald thinks to himself. "Could one of you fetch a lamp?" Aswald asks politely before going into the kitchen and starting a fire in the wood stove (I assume that's what the professor would have in this day and age.)

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, nobody's in there," says Michael.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 am
by DrPeterson
Rawson recoils from the stench with a twisted face.

"What a horrible smell we've discovered!"

He moves away from the door to find some fresher air and looks at Michael.

"I suggest we air this room a bit before going in with a torch or candle, Mr Finn. There were pictures in the fireplace and I'm mighty keen indeed, to find out if the negatives are still preserved."

He smiles wryly, "But not keen enough to risk exploding, I might add."

"Let us investigate the other rooms."

Rawson walks to the rooms in the rooms in the south, starting with the first on the left.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am
by Aliktren
Terry in the Childrens Quarters

A small single bed, immaculately made, stands in the center of the room. A toy chest stands against the far wall, alongside a writing desk. Various drawings, done in beeswax, crayon and watercolour, hang on the walls. There is no sign of any trauma.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 am
by Aliktren
Rawson in the Library - room 4a

As you open the door you enter a well kept office, it has a large wooden desk and a number of bookshelves stacked high with many tomes. A series of diplomas and degrees are hung in frames on the wall, beside a large map of North Luxor city.

Bloody footprints are visible on the floor, leading out towards the Library.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm
by Cearlan
There being no sign of trauma here I give the room a cursory search before moving onto the next room, listening at the door and trying the handle
OOC,Search [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3935028/]1d100=49[/url] - what room? Listen [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3935027/]1d100=14[/url] success if there are no penalties

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm
by Tabs

She watches on--for a moment--as Aswald lights a fire; her incisor pressed against her lower lip. Isopel hunts for a copper kettle or samovar and looks for a gas ring. If she finds what she is after, she'll point it out to the servants, and mime tea cup and drinking motions.

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 pm
by DrPeterson
Herbert Rawson enters the office, careful not to step on the bloody footprints and rounds the desk, looking to see if the prints came from behind the desk and hoping (or rather not) to see something behind or on the desk.

Spoiler:
Spot hidden fail by 6, so unless it's obvious, I'm probably not seeing it.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3935115/

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

MIchael trails along with Rawson. "When we do search the darkroom," he says, "it would be best to use an electric torch, just in case."

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 am
by Aliktren
Spoiler:
OOC Props for the Star Wars reference, we need some sort of scoring system for these :)
Rawson and Micheal

During Rawsons cursory search you notice that the Diplomas on the wall all belong to Professor Jamieson.

One of the desk drawers is either stuck or locked, Rawsons half hearted attempt to check which is unsuccessful, however, the bottom drawer contains a simple wooden case with a glass lid, Beneath the glass is a corked ceramic vial and 6 sharpened wands.

Terry ...

As you listen quietly at the door you can swear you hear sirens in the distance.

Aswald and Ispoel

At the offered tea the servants politely decline and with muttered thanks and polite goodbyes to the nice white lady they file out of the open door as one, once they are gone and the room is quiet you can swear you hear sirens in the distance....

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 am
by Cearlan
Terry cocks his head to one side and says to Aswald and Isopel "Hey there ... can you hear that? The police are coming, so someone must have got out and raised the alarm - lets hope it was the kids and nanny eh? Might be best if we put some distance between here and ourselves before they arrive ... less chance of awkward questions, and we cannot keep relying on Aswald here to bail us out of trouble with the local officials all the time. Let's get the rest and get out."

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm
by Tabs
Isopel is left standing holding the kettle, watching on as the servants leave.

She whispers: "Oh."

Isopel hears the sirens as well. "Yes, you're probably right, Mr. Morton."

[ooc: In the "Childrens' Quarters," did Terry check out the toy chest and look under the bed? If not, Isopel will quickly do that.]

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm
by Cearlan
Tabs wrote: [ooc: In the "Childrens' Quarters," did Terry check out the toy chest and look under the bed? If not, Isopel will quickly do that.]
OOC,Terry did not take the time to look as he was more concerned with finding out where the children were. And now with the approaching sirens, time is more against us than it was before ... perhaps we should have moved quicker. If Isopel wants to check the chest and bed then feel free as Terry has already moved onto the next room.
Terry tries the last door down this corridor, opens it slowly and enters.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Michael tries to help Rawson force open the stuck drawer. "Here, let me give you a hand," he says.
OOC,What was the reference? I must have missed it.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm
by Garrett
"I'm all for avoiding the police." Aswald says simply.
-If there's a back door in the kitchen I just wait their for the others, if not I join up with Terry and Isopel.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm
by DrPeterson
Rawson takes out the flask and the pointed sticks and gives them a look-over, uncorking the bottle for a sniff.
He steps back to let Mickey take care of the drawer.

"If you'd be so kind, Mr Finn."

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 am
by Aliktren
Aswald in the Kitchen

The sound of the sirens can now be heard quite clearly, distant but getting louder.

Isopel Checking the Nursery

There is little under the bed, there are a few scattered wooden carvings, they look a little like Octopus, rather weird though, and some of the paintings on the wall are also in the same vein.
Spoiler:
[Spoiler-Button]OOC - you may roll for Cthulu Mythos[/Spoiler-Button]
Terry Checking the next room
The door opens into a darkened bedroom. A figure dartsinto the open, silhouetted before the window, and shouts,“Back!”
The room then coruscates as a small gun is emptied in Terrys direction, all shots going very wide, and the apparently terrified figure dives out the window

Mickey and Rawson

The drawer finally gives way, inside is a small book, some sort of log.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:55 pm
by Garrett
"The cops are getting closer guys!" Aswald yells, trying to instigate some haste in his companions. When suddenly the gun is heard he simply opens the door and runs, staying within sight of the mansion so that he can see if his companions exit it.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 am
by Cearlan
Terry freezes as the shots ring out and as soon as the figure, (man or woman?), dives through the window he rushes over to the window and looks out. He shouts out to Isopel ...

"Isopel - get to the others and warn them that the Cops are coming and top get out now ... go girl ... go now!"

At this he jumps through the window and tries to pursue the figure.
OOC,Spot Hidden, track or what I'm not sure?

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

At the sound of the gunshots, Michael snatches up the book and runs towards the sound, presuming that Rawson will follow him.
OOC,I assume I can hear the shots. Do I hear the sirens or anything else?

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 pm
by Aliktren
ooc - everyome hears both the shots and the sirens, you probably have a few minutes left inside before they arrive.
ooc - for catching the escaping figure, track will be fine IMHO, as it's dark
ooc - did you guys take the stone from the first room (the one that wouldn't fit in a pocket but would fit in a bag ?)

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 pm
by Tabs
Roll,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3959350/]Cthulhu Mythos (1d100=64)[/url]
ooc - did you guys take the stone from the first room (the one that wouldn't fit in a pocket but would fit in a bag ?)
[ooc: Of course! Um . . . who's got the stone?]

Isopel stuffs the carvings into the pocket of her army greatcoat, and rushes out of the nursery. "Okay, Mr. Morton, will do." She is starting to "flap," what with the sirens and gunshot.

Back in the room where they discovered Bollicher she screams: "Mr. Rawson, Mr. Finn, the police are coming! RUN!" Isopel escapes through the kitchen and outside, unsure if she should be running from the police--"You're not in Knightsbridge, young lady," she reminds herself--but before she runs she'll pick up the stone. [If it's here]

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,Track Roll[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3959627/]1d100=20[/url]

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am
by DrPeterson
Rawson looks around somewhat befuddled, startled by the gunshots and he walks hurriedly after Mickey. He puffs, clearly not used to the commotion and exclaims exasperated.

"I say, Mr Finn, is Miss Gelert insinuating we run from the police? What utter madness! We shouldn't have left the poor girl with the professor's corpse, she's beyond herself with grief! You go help Mr Morton and I'll calm down Miss Gelert."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"I grew up in Ireland before and during the rising, sir," says Michael, running now. "When the police were on their way, running from them was an extraordinarily good idea!" He hurries for the exit, following Terry and Isopel.

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 am
by DrPeterson

"I see."

Rawson looks around the entrance and lets out a deep sigh as he sees his Bollacher's covered corpse.

"You go on and catch up with Mr Morton, Mr Finn. I'm more than curious to find out who fired those shots, but as expedition leader it's my duty to address the police, besides, I think I owe it to my friend to make sure they don't make a terrible mess of the place."

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, boss," says Michael. "Take care." He speeds off to catch up.

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 am
by DrPeterson

Rawson nods at Mickey, straightens his coat and moustache and walks to the front door to await the police.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 pm
by Aliktren
ooc - oops,thanks - - should have checked that roll more carefully ;)

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm
by Aliktren
Terry Chasing the Fleeing Gunman

It doesn't take Terry long to find the fleeing figure, a somewhat portly gent dressed in fine servants garb is trying apparently unsuccessfully to scale the wall surrounding the grounds, as you approach he turns and looks at you in terror, he screams a few broken phrases "Tomb... so dark.." "Professor.. stone ... Keystone...Old Ones... Nile" at this last he brings his hands up to his face and screams, gouging at his eyes until the blood pours freely between his fingers before collapsing on the ground, unmoving and silent.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:50 pm
by Cearlan
"Damn and blast!" curses Terry as the prone figure lies there uncaring and finally at peace. He tries to remember the words Aswald used for the fallen professor, "‘Oh Allah, this man is now under your care and protection, protect him from the trials of the grave and torment of .... the torment of .... hell I can't remember." He takes a deep breath to calm himself.

"Whatever torment this poor soul suffered, he deserved a far better end!" Terry bows his head for a moment's quiet contemplation.

"Merciful Lord look after this soul who died in extreme torment. I know he ain't a believer ... shoot neither am I really, but .... just look after him now his suffering is over."

He looks around and tries to determine how far away the sirens are and where the nearest exit lies.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm
by Tabs
Isopel follows the outside wall to the front of Chicago House, all the while ducking down behind it, hoping that doing this and the dark will conceal her; her plan is to watch on the police.
Aliktren,Isopel wouldn't know about Cthulhu, etc.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 pm
by Aliktren
Rawson, waiting for the authorities....
Spoiler:
OOC - it is assumed at this point that everyone else has spread out away from the building as per your posts, so you may or may not be able to observer what happens to Rawson.
Through the rain two police cars slide up to the entrance to Chicago House, and nine police officers disembark. The apparent leader points to Rawson standing on the doorstep and mutters something to the others in Arabic, and Rawson is grabbed and thrust against one of the cars, arms pinned behind him and placed in handcuffs. (ooc - any protestations are ignored)

Six of the police then enter the building, and after several minutes where you can dimly hear scattered and panicked shouting from within, one of the men emerges, there is a hurried conversation and then one of the cars departs, perhaps for the hospital, perhaps for more officers.

Rawson is wordlessly dumped into another car, and the car departs.

The officers do not check the grounds, and after a few minutes all but two of the men depart, and those two stand guard at the front door, muttering to each other and smoking cigarettes.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

When the police are gone except for the guards at the front door, Michael speaks quietly to Isopel and Terry once he finds them. "Well, that's just swell," he mutters. "If only Mr. Rawson had come with us. We'll need to figure out where they've taken him and get him out." He shows the journal he picked up to the others. "We found this in a desk drawer. And there was writing on the mantlepiece. I decoded it as 'AWAKEN OLD ONES. FLOODING NILE.'"

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 am
by DrPeterson
Despite the officers ignoring him, Rawson doesn't go without protest and over the weather and sirens, you can hear a few fragments of what he is shouting.

"...You can't do this to me, I'm an Englishman!...
The embassy will hear of this!...
"

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 am
by Tabs

"Mr. Finn, am I glad to see you! What on earth is going on? Mr. Rawson is right, you know,"--she struggles to conjure up an inoffensive name for the Egyptian police--"those natives have no right to treat an Englishman like this . . . when word of this gets out . . . " She looks at the journal, but doesn't comment upon it.

"I suppose we ought to go to the police station."

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 pm
by Cearlan
"Pompous ass, suppose we'll have to bail him out," mutters Terry shaking his head regrettably.

"The phrase 'AWAKEN OLD ONES. FLOODING NILE.' means nothing to me I'm afraid, but perhaps there is more to be learned from this book. I known the Nile floods every year, and there are stories about the old Egyptian Gods, Ra, Osiris and all them, but there are no guarantees that this is what this refers to. We can either get away from here to study it more, or do you think it worthwhile getting inside - possibly through the back door Isopel, Aswald and I found and continue our search. There only seems to be the two officers left here, and they are not the most diligent police I have seen." Terry looks around for responses from the group.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not as pleased as I am to see you, Miss Gelert," says Michael with a smile. "Mr. Rawson told us what to do as they were dragging him off. Before we go to the police station, we should visit the British Consulate. They don't look too kindly on my people, but they look after their own. Once they hear of how the Egyptians are treating him, they'll help us spring him. Times may be changing, but they still have some influence in Egypt.

"We could try to slip back inside through another entrance and poke around to see what the police missed, but we'll need to be very quiet so we don't alert the two they left outside the front door. They don't seem the most attentive lot, though. Speaking of Aswald, has anyone seen him?"

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 am
by Tabs

As Terry speaks she pulls from her greatcoat pocket the drawings and carvings--octopuses and such like--she found in the nursery. "These are a bit fishy! Even the children were obsessed by watery ideas."

"I'd go to the British Consulate," says Isopel, ". . . but I don't know where it is. Aswald will know!" She adds: "I haven't seen him for a while, like you, Mr. Finn; he ran when he heard the police sirens."

"I don't like the idea of going back inside--too spooky! But if you fellows want to, I could wait in the kitchen?"

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 pm
by Cearlan
OOC,[color=#FF4000] Is the British Consulate close by? Despite being an American, having spent eighteen months in Cairo, what's the chances that Terry knows where it is[/color].
"We might be able to drop you off at the your Consulate Ms G'lert and if Mr. Finn is up for it he and I could come back - we may even find Aswald upon our return. Would that be more agreeable to you Isopel?"

edit;- changed Embassy to Consulate as per Mr Handy's later post

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm up for it," says Michael, nodding.
OOC,The British Embassy is in Cairo, the capital, but other cities would have consulates.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am
by Tabs
"Okay, let's do it," says Isopel. "My suitcase: I'll wear my coat and pearls--to make the right sort of impression at the consulate!" She suddenly becomes serious, as if previously she had forgotten the gravity of the situation. "We'll save Mr. Rawson. Why, we are all owed money, aren't we?"

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 am
by Cearlan
Terry looks at Isopel through narrowed eyes,

"Yes we are owed a sum, but surely that is nothing compared to what has happened here tonight. Now whilst I happen to think Rawson is what we Yanks call a typical Brit, no offense, we got to save him from the Egyptian police who, as we have already seen at the station, are about as straight as a nest of vipers." Terry looks back to Finn. "Mr Finn I don't know enough about you but I certainly would have little or no pull at your consulate, and the American Consul would not do anything to help him."

Addressing them both he adds "I could come back here and look around once we have dropped you off at the consulate. I'm pretty sure I could get in the back door as them two fools seem intent on keeping a close watch on the front only. I just hope the kids got out alright and in time. The fact that the nanny wasn't there either fills me with some hope in that department."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"The Irish Consulate would be even less likely to help than the American one," says Michael with a grin. "Your country won its independence far longer ago than mine, Mr. Morton. We should all go to the British Consulate and tell them what we observed. Three witnesses are far better than one. The sooner we spring Mr. Rawson, the better. I'll not leave him in the hands of those hyenas any longer than necessary. Once he's free, we can come back here and look around again."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:49 am
by Cearlan
"It's agreed then, we are all off to the British Consulate then where Isopel can work her charms on her consul. Oh and by the way, less of the Mr Morton, - it's Terry to my friends."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, Terry," says Michael. "And you can both call me Mickey."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 am
by Tabs
"Well, in that case, call me Isopel."

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:14 am
by Cearlan
"Then let's go before those idiots see us." hisses Terry shepherding the two remaining members of the party towards the nearest exit at the rear.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm
by Tabs
Consulate?,Know 75% [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3997762/]1d100=27[/url]
"I think I know where it is--by the 'corniche' of the West Bank, near to the museum."

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:08 am
by Cearlan
"Then let's go then. Terry peers round the corner and if the coast is clear he will usher the remains of the party out into the rain soaked streets of Cairo. If you are right, then I think the museum is this way." Terry says more confidently than he really feels

Terry know roll for location of Museum (1d100=47) - pass 47/70%

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lead on," says Michael, following.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:48 pm
by Garrett
"HEY, WAIT UP!" Aswald calls from behind, jogging up to his missing party. When he finally reaches them he catches his breath before speaking. "....Sorry for the wait, I put some serious distance between the house and myself when I ran. Where did the gunshot come from?"

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 am
by Cearlan
"A servant or something gave us some insight into what happened, but he cannot help us any more," Terry answers looking meaningfully at Isopel.

"We are on the way to the British Consulate to try and free Rawson who allowed himself to be arrested by the local police. With what we have seen in there, getting him out will not be too easy a task."

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Glad you're all right, Aswald," says Michael. "With four of us telling them what happened, we should be able to convince them to take some sort of action."

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 am
by Tabs
getting him out will not be too easy a task."
"Yes, Terry," says Isopel.
"With four of us telling them what happened, we should be able to convince them to take some sort of action."
"But we are an odd assemblage . . . do you think the consulate will act on our behalf and influence the police?"

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll just have to turn on the charm," says Michael with a confident smile. "I don't think the consulate will just let it slide when 'Johnny Foreigner' locks up one of their nationals for no cause."

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:00 pm
by Garrett
"Your the foreigner here Irishman." Aswald mutters under his breath. "Why did that fool let himself be arrested anyway?"

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 pm
by Cearlan
Terry halts by a street corner and whilst getting his bearings says to the assembled group "The police obviously saw what had happened inside Chicago House and he foolishly thought that his 'Britishness' would over-ride the logical conclusion that he and any others associated with him were responsible. The man has a great many uses I have no doubt, but his overbearing nationality and pride border on irresponsibility." He wipes the rain from his face before continuing. "I believe the British Consulate is this way, is that right Aswald?"

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 am
by Garrett
"Think so, I've never actually been there; darkies like me generally get the evil eye if they get to close." Aswald says with no attempt to hide his contempt.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 am
by Cearlan
Terry puts a hand on Aswald's shoulder and looks him in the eye. "Aye well that's the Brits for you Aswald. Think they still own the world. I know that a large percentage of them still consider America as an upstart colony yet New York has already outstripped London as the main city of the world ... and I can see more following."

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've had to endure that attitude of theirs all my life," says Michael. "They reserve a special condescension for the Irish. I was mocking them earlier when I said 'Johnny foreigner,' but in this case their arrogance will work in our favour." He sighs. "I tried to warn Mr. Rawson to run, but he just wouldn't listen."

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 pm
by Garrett
"What do we need Rawson for anyway?" Maybe it was the talk but the thought of some high strung Brit spending the night in an Egyptian prison was sounding more and more amusing to Aswald. Then again he was our connection, so if anyone is gonna pay me it's probably him.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm
by Cearlan
"I don't know what you found in the rooms you searched, Michael, but from the brief description I got, it sounded pretty grisly." Terry turns towards Aswald and continues, his face betraying the fact that he is starting to lose patience with the constant sniping of the Egyptian. "That makes Rawson, despite his being pompous and arrogant beyond belief; one of us. Now we Americans don't like to leave anyone behind unless it is unavoidable, and I'd rather have someone on my side as opposed to on the other side just because we didn't try to get him out at least. So you can either help us or hinder us Aswald - I for one am going to try and get him out if I can!"

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:47 pm
by Tabs
Isopel hears the talk--the anti-British sentiment--and decides it best to keep quiet.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 am
by Garrett
"I fall more under the ideology that if you fall behind, your left behind, especially if you fell behind because of your own stupidity. But seeing as I can't get another train back home at least tell until morning and I might still be able to sponge some money out of Rawson for my trouble, I guess I'll tag along for now." Aswald replies, slightly amused by his comrades passionate response.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Rawson may be British, but I'll not hold that against him," says Michael. "I know the man, and there's a lot more to him than his nationality. I wouldn't leave a friend behind, and that applies to all of you." He grins at Isopel. "I won't hold your nationality against you either, Isopel. When I look at you, I see a pretty lady, not an Englishwoman." He clears his throat. "Mr. Rawson and I found two bodies in the study. They'd both been poisoned, cyanide by the smell of it. The mantlepiece was gruesome too, but it did spell out a clue: 'Awaken Old Ones. Flooding Nile.' And then there's this journal we found in a stuck drawer right before I left." He shows it to the others.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 am
by Tabs
He grins at Isopel. "I won't hold your nationality against you either, Isopel. When I look at you, I see a pretty lady, not an Englishwoman." He clears his throat
She studies the cracks in the pavement.

"So much death! Were those poor people murdered or was it suicide?" She adds: "Bollacher hanged himself . . .

"As I said before, 'an obsession with watery things,' but I suppose this is Egypt: floods, etc. When we get a chance, I'd be most interested to read that journal, please, Michael."

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course, Isopel," says Michael, handing over the journal. "I'd bet the two who were poisoned didn't take it knowingly. Bollancher had a bloody knife in his pocket, so it looks like he topped the others before himself. The journal mentions a keystone that Bollancher found in a crypt. Did anyone come across something like that?"

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 am
by Tabs
Isopel delves, again, into the capacious pocket of her army greatcoat, and produces the stone she picked up near to Bollancher. "Did you mean this?" She rubs her shoulder: the weight of the stone she has carried has made it ache.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done!" says Michael, smiling from ear to ear. "That's shaped like a keystone, all right. You want me to carry that for you? That thing looks heavy."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 am
by Tabs
"Yes, please," says Isopel.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:46 pm
by Cearlan
"Well said Michael, a friend should never be seen as less than that. As for nationalities - I could care less what he is, it is the man himself and his attitude I was commenting on." Terry says looking slightly abashed that he had come over wrong. "I wanted to get the point that we were going for him come what may ... never mind!" Thrusting his hands deep in his pockets Terry goes off towards the general area of the British Consulate.

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

"My pleasure," says Michael. He takes the keystone and puts it inside his own coat. He finds it heavy too, but he can manage with it. He follows the others towards the consulate.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 am
by Aliktren
The rain has paused, at least for the time being, though thunder still rumbles heavily in the distance.

Rawson, seated between two burly, silent policeman can do little but watch the dimly lit city flit by. His companions trudge in the direction of the consulate, and dawn shows a slim bright crease on the horizon, with the promise of a new day.