CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > NYC to Panama

Moderator: Job

Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Upon reaching to Balboa, Father Rucker intends to disembark and feel the ground. His intentions are to travel for a one day trip to Panama city, taste the local food and to visit a nearby chapel or a church for impression. Maybe there is a chance to visit a local museum or a market where the wildlife of the area is exhibited. Whoever wants to join him is more than welcome.
Father Rucker takes a short ride on the ferry from the SS Gabrielle to Balboa's dock area, along with a number of his crewmates. Balboa's train station is only a quarter mile up the road. It is even hotter and more humid inside the train station than outside (if that's possible in this brutal equatorial environment!), and all of the signs are in Spanish, but fortunately the clerk at the counter speaks English. A short time later, Father Rucker is aboard the train, on his way to Panama City. The trip to the station at Panama City takes only 20 minutes.
Pictured above, the Panama Canal Railroad train.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Øyvind will use the time the Gabrielle is docked to air his dogs and take long walks with them four and four, trying to avoid the dock crowds but staying on some road.
The ferry steerman only allows Øyvind to take two dogs across at a time, so he and Enke decide to walk most of the dogs on deck aboard the Gabrielle. Later, they take their lead dogs for the ferry ride into Balboa. After watching a few of the Balboan locals get into a fight outside the train station, Enke remarked to Øyvind, "Hmpff! Our dogs are better behaved!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

As the team begins ferrying to the town of Balboa for a day of liberty, you catch sight of an individual, horribly disfigured, who is talking and reviewng papers on deck with First Officer Turlow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie approaches Douglas and the man with him, taking off her flying helmet and letting her red hair fall loose. With her free hand, she waves to him. "Hello, Douglas!" she calls. "It's me, Katie Wright! Did you catch my little demonstration during the approach to Colon?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Douglas looks surprised for a moment, finally responding "Katie? Katie Wright? That was you flaunting your skills near Colón? I didn't see it, but I sure heard about it! I think that you shocked a few of our officers...

What brings you to Panama?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

"Helllloooooooo~!" said Ernest from afar at towards the deck of Gabrielle. "Is this ship headed for Antarctica?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that was me," says Katie with a grin. "I came to Panama hoping to join your expedition. Starkweather just brushed off my telegrams because I'm a woman, so I figured that the only way to convince him would be to come down here and show him what I can do. Could you arrange a meeting with him? Maybe you could tell him that the pilot who performed that stunt is here and wants to join the expedition without mentioning that it's me or that I'm female. Wouldn't want to spoil the surprise."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Martin leaves the ship to head to Panama city. His story in a satchel and his camera handy.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"Helllloooooooo~!" said Ernest from afar at towards the deck of Gabrielle. "Is this ship headed for Antarctica?"
The crew members on deck of the SS Gabrielle don't respond to your calls, either because they're too far away or too busy. A number of Panamanians on the boats nearby turn to look at you, but most simply turn back to their chores while a few respond, "No entiendo Inglés, señor."

From your left, on the docks, a short, slim American in casual attire responds, "I just arrived from the Gabrielle. Yeah, we're bound for Antarctica. Can I help you with something?"Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Job wrote:Vito sighed, then started to say something, but stopped and rubbed his forehead. He looked around the small cabin for a moment, then once again looked to James Poole and spoke in his heavy Italian accent, "Signore, I can not speak of a that day. Mi diaspiace, ma è troppo difficile... La morte..." He looked at his feet and shook his head. A very sad look came over him, then he said, "I am sorry, signore, it is hard for me. I see death... It is come. I am not afraid, signore. La morte è qui con noi. Death is very close."
Túrin Turambar wrote:James Poole looks at Vito and asks quietly, not wanting to draw any hasty conclusions: 'Death, you say? Somehow I don't think you mean it in the usual sense. If there is something that you know about ... Death lurking aboard this ship, I think that you should tell me, for the sake of everyone aboard.'
Vito studied James' face, then shook his head. "I believe that we are cursed, signore. Maledetto. I saw death in the City of New York. On the docks-a. I can say no more, signore. It is not safe." he replied as he looked nervously about the cabin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
jrod
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by jrod »

Watkins will pick up some fresh fruit from the locals, and check out Balboa's sites and shops(if there are any). I'd like to keep my eyes peeled for any bizzare medical oddities(souvenirs and such) and pick up some more cuban cigars(now that I'm aware of the time of ban). :)
Last edited by jrod on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by BenTheRat »

ooc,I just bought my cubans at the local store before I left. Cuban cigars weren't banned until the 60's.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

"Ahhh, just my luck. As they say, ask and thy shall receive. Oh, erm, anyways, I believe that I am looking for...ah...Mr.Starkweather, was it?" Ernest said to the man.

"I contacted him by the telegram, so he should have been expecting me... No matter. Say, did Mr.Starkweather get off the boat, or must I rent a boat to get to the ship?"
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Mr. Handy wrote:"I came to Panama hoping to join your expedition. Starkweather just brushed off my telegrams because I'm a woman, so I figured that the only way to convince him would be to come down here and show him what I can do. Could you arrange a meeting with him? Maybe you could tell him that the pilot who performed that stunt is here and wants to join the expedition without mentioning that it's me or that I'm female. Wouldn't want to spoil the surprise."
Douglas began laughing, then said, "You? Want to to go Antarctica with James? Good lord, woman, do you have a masochistic streak that I don't know about?"

When Katie didn't join him in laughing, he stopped. "Oh no. You're serious, aren't you. Tell me that you're not being serious. Katie?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course I'm serious," says Katie. "I want to go for the same reasons you do. I want to explore where nobody has been before. I want to fly over those mountains and see what's on the other side. I want it so much that I'm willing to put up with Starkweather. If I can endure that, the frigid wastes of Antarctica should pose little difficulty."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

BenTheRat wrote:Martin leaves the ship to head to Panama city. His story in a satchel and his camera handy.
Jrod wrote:Watkins will pick up some fresh fruit from the locals, and check out Balboa's sites and shops(if there are any). I'd like to keep my eyes peeled for a deal on some cuban cigars, or any bizzare medical oddity(souvenirs and such).
Martin joins Father Rucker and Wade Watkins on the train ride to Panama City. Wade decided to go to the city when he discovered that Balboa had very few items of interest for sale, other than food, clothing, and farm and shipping supplies. Also along for the ride were Michael O'Doul, Pierce Albemarle, and Peter Sykes.

Along the way, Peter Sykes (pictured above) tried to convince the team to go out for a good time at one of Panama City's bars. "C'mon fellas! We don't have to be back until tomorrow night! No offense, Padre! I'll make sure that not of these fine gentlemen get into trouble." He winked at Father Rucker. "Let's meet back here after we finish our shopping and sightseeing! Say, nine o'clock? We'll find a nice hotel, go out and have some fun, meet some locals, stay here overnight, sleep in tomorrow morning, get up then have nice breakfast. Then we'll finish buying our supplies and make our way back to the ship. Whadayasay?"

The train pulled into the station at Panama City, which was very lively with crowds, lights, music, and street hawkers.

Pictured above, Panama City Train Station during daytime hours (our explorers arrive in the early evening, just as the sun was setting)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by royya »

I’m not for beer or martini Mr. Sykes but I am for a fine wine.
Paul Rucker replies to Peter.
I will be occupied with my own business along the day. Let me pond about the idea of spending another day in Panama City. If so, I will meet you at nine o’clock outside the train station.
If someone wants to join me for a tour I plan to visit the National Theater, the Metropolitan Cathedral, the La Merced Church and the market.

"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Túrin Turambar
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Job wrote:
Job wrote:Vito sighed, then started to say something, but stopped and rubbed his forehead. He looked around the small cabin for a moment, then once again looked to James Poole and spoke in his heavy Italian accent, "Signore, I can not speak of a that day. Mi diaspiace, ma è troppo difficile... La morte..." He looked at his feet and shook his head. A very sad look came over him, then he said, "I am sorry, signore, it is hard for me. I see death... It is come. I am not afraid, signore. La morte è qui con noi. Death is very close."
Túrin Turambar wrote:James Poole looks at Vito and asks quietly, not wanting to draw any hasty conclusions: 'Death, you say? Somehow I don't think you mean it in the usual sense. If there is something that you know about ... Death lurking aboard this ship, I think that you should tell me, for the sake of everyone aboard.'
Vito studied James' face, then shook his head. "I believe that we are cursed, signore. Maledetto. I saw death in the City of New York. On the docks-a. I can say no more, signore. It is not safe." he replied as he looked nervously about the cabin.
"I surely hope that you are not right about this, but I think that both the expedition leaders and the men are of the kind that can handle potential threats", James says. "I am sorry that I don't seem to be able to help you in your troubles. I don't know how to expel curses." James makes sure not to show his skepticism. Even though he is interested in the supernatural, he doesn't believe much in it and thus ends the conversation by steering it onto something more neutral.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

BenTheRat wrote:
ooc,I just bought my cubans at the local store before I left. Cuban cigars weren't banned until the 60's.
OOC Reply,There are some fine tobacco and cigar shops in Panama City! Surely someone of Martin's worldly nature can't pass up an opportunity to add to his stock? :)
Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"Ahhh, just my luck. As they say, ask and thy shall receive. Oh, erm, anyways, I believe that I am looking for...ah...Mr.Starkweather, was it?" Ernest said to the man.

"I contacted him by the telegram, so he should have been expecting me... No matter. Say, did Mr.Starkweather get off the boat, or must I rent a boat to get to the ship?"
"Ah yes, Commander Starkweather remains back on the ship, taking care of last-minute details. You may hire one of these small boats to take you out. Simply show your credentials to First Officer Turlow on the main deck and he'll take you to the commander."

Shortly after you've negotiated with a local boatman, showing him a flash of silver coin, you find yourself being paddled out to the SS Gabrielle. The large ship is silhouetted against a sunset on the Pacific Ocean, a breathtaking image in blues, greens, reds, golds, and black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Return to “Archive - Completed Chapters”