Page 1 of 1

CHAPTER 4: IC - Departure

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:07 pm
by Job
(OOC - The original Chapter 4 thread took place on the EnWorld website, but not finished. This post begins at a point near the end of the Chapter 4 thread on the EnWorld website, at a point in the action when the U.S.S Gabrielle pulls away from the NYC dock to put distance between her and the explosions and fire.
For ease of reference, here is a link to that EnWorld thread at the post just prior to this one, our starting point here on Play@YSDC)

Job wrote:A loud series of cracks and poppings erupted from the dock and reverberated across the harbor, then a large section of the pier shed roof collapsed in a shower of sparks.
As the Gabrielle idles out in the harbor about 50 yards from pier, awaiting the tugboats, the three boxcars on the pier edge rumble down the explosion- and heat-buckled tracks and into the river. Starkweather shouts and grimly watches the 3-foot wave of water expanding from the dock.

At about the same time, James Starkweather pulls a set of field glasses from a nearby crewmember and examines lights of another ship departing down-river, towed by tugboats. George and Father Rucker both hear him furiously mutter "The Tallahassee! The bitch has beaten me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Father Rucker

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 pm
by Job
Royya's Avatar wrote:
Job wrote: Quickly looking around the main deck, the priest notices a few situations that might require his assistance. There are three stevedores struggling to tie down a load of large wooden beams. A drum of oil is lying on its side near the railing and is spilling liquid into the river. And a red-underwear-clad crewmember is sitting on the stairs with his head in his hands.
Not wanting to add more menace, Father Rucker decides to be helpful where he is most needed. And comfort is one of his specialties.
Walking to the stairs where the man sits, Father Rucker lays his hand on the man's shoulder.
Are you all right son?

George Barrow - Scientist

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
Job wrote: "The Tallahassee! The bitch has beaten me!"
'Who sir has beaten you?' 'Is that a ships name?' George strains his eyes in the darkness to see the ship or the thing Starkweather is looking at.

Wade Watkins - Physician

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:22 pm
by Job
Wade Watkins' Avatar wrote:"Get the dead off this boat as soon as humanly possible. I don't want disease starting to spread." Without the slightest hint of sorrow in his voice, he continued on looking for more injured.
The ship had pulled away from the dock, so removing the dead would have to wait.

In looking around the ship, Dr. Watkins found a number of stevedores and crewmen with serious burns, deep cuts, and broken bones. Wade provided what assistance he could on deck, but sent many to the medical room knowing that Dr. Greene would capably handle the rush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Re: CHAPTER 4: IC - Departure

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Walking to the stairs where the man sits, Father Rucker lays his hand on the man's shoulder.
Are you all right son?
As Father Rucker approached the crew member, he noticed the man's burned hair and blackened face and hands. The man's hands were trembling and his shoulders shook. The priest could hear him repeating words in a foreign language with a cadence that sounded like prayer:

"...orar para nós sinners, agora e à hora dos nossos morte..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

George Barrow - Scientist

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:44 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'Who sir has beaten you?' 'Is that a ships name?' George strains his eyes in the darkness to see the ship or the thing Starkweather is looking at.
Starkweather's jaw muscles clenched rhythmically as he continued studying the ship, then he lowered the field glasses and also his eyes, muttering to George, "It's Acacia Lexington. Her expedition just departed New York City for Antarctica."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Martin LeBlanc - Photojournalist

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 pm
by Job
Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:Martin stirred on his bunk in the infirmary-he felt the throbbing of the engines as the ship left dock. His injuries had begun to heal and he looked forward to once again being useful...

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm
by Job
Her port side midships scorched and blackened, the U.S.S. Gabrielle is towed to a new dock downstream at Pier 66 within an hour. An army of policemen, reporters, and gawkers are on hand to welcome them into their new berth.

Once the ship is tied off, both Mr. Starkweather and First Officer Turlow are met by police for questioning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 pm
by Job
While the police begin their investigations, you hear a voice booming over the ship's public address system, announcing "All crew members and stevadores on ship are to report to the ship's mess for instructions. Repeat. All crew members and stevadores are to immediately report to the ship's mess. That is all."

You arrive at the mess hall and are met by Professor Moore who is sporting a new pair of eyeglasses. He asks you to sign a logbook as you enter and then instructs you to take a seat. Anyone who is injured is told to report to the medical facility.

After everyone has arrived and signed in, Professor Moore organized teams to begin assessing the impact of the fire on the expedition. Some seamen are assigned to estimate repairs to the ship, some are instructed to take inventory of equipment that has already been loaded on board the U.S.S. Gabrielle, and some are instructed to return to the burned pier and work with firemen to take an inventory of whatever equipment and supplies are salvageable.

[OOC - These tasks are not assigned to player characters. Your characters are free to take whatever actions you believe are important.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Wade Watkins - Physician

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:52 pm
by Job
Wade Watkins' Puppeteer wrote:Wade silently rises and moves off to inventory the medical supplies. He takes his time and makes a detailed record, stopping every so often to check on his patients.

Father Rucker

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Prof. Moore
Father Rucker addresses his academic mate.
I pleased to see that you are all right.

Our time is short and I'll talk briefly ... I came here because the captain turned down my application to join this journey, god's will caused me to arrive in this terrible moment, but I see it as an emissary.
I planned to meet the captain on personal and convince him to let me join. I can help as a scientist and as a father. Not to speak that Antarctica is a fascinating place to be.

Father Rucker eyes the Prof.

Will you help me Prof.?

Øyvind Raknes Sled Driver

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:01 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind stands up from his chair and puts a big dose of snuff under his lipp. 'Im gonna be off to take a look at my gear, dogs and gramaphone' 'i hope all is in shape and ready to go' he walks out the door taking a glance back on the meeting.

'This day has been full of unconveniant happenings for our expedition, pluss that competitor leaving this same night.... Wonder who on this crew is a spy and saboteour, to many acidents today... I better talk to George about it... '

'George! would it be ok i visit you at the lab after im done checking my stuff?' the tall norwegian yawns at George turns around not waiting for a answer.

George Barrow Scientist

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:George nods at Øyvinds back understanding the norwegian wanted a moment of privacy....

'Sirs... and lady offcourse' he talks to the meeting 'I recomend all of uss check our personal gear and keep an eye on things and if possible noticing if anything seems out of order' 'we have been having many accinets the late time, we should be carefull'

George walk over to fahter Rucker 'I dont think i got the pelasure mister....' 'you a new crew member or here just for the soul conforting today?'

Father P.J. Rucker

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:05 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:I'm known as Father Rucker, Prof. Rucker and you can call me Paul as well..
The priest smiles to George

I came here by the will of Christ ... but I hoping to be a member

Father Rucker shakes the man's hand. And you are my son, who are you?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:11 pm
by Job
Wade Watkins' Puppeteer wrote:Wade silently rises and moves off to inventory the medical supplies. He takes his time and makes a detailed record, stopping every so often to check on his patients.
A few hours later, Dr. Watkins completes his inventory. Everything appears to be in order; no drugs and supplies are missing. All medical equipment was installed on the ship a week earlier and nothing was damaged.

Martin is resting comfortably, although occasionally he moans and writhes in the bunk.

The other seriously injured man is in much worse shape than Martin.

Wade's earlier assessment of the man's injuries:
Spoiler:
  • third degree burns visible across face and neck;
  • severe blistering within the man's mouth and tongue, bloody foam flowing from the man's nose and up his throat as he breathed; rattling, bubbling breath; likely critical lung damage from the explosions and fire;
  • Wade peeled back the man's burned shirt and saw multiple contusions and cuts, likely from flying debris;
  • a 2-inch puncture in the man's chest wall, bleeding profusely, with no visible item protruding from it. It was either from a flying glass shard, or large wood splinter that the man pulled free...
    ...or a knife wound? Wade quickly pressed his hand to the open wound to temporarily staunch the bleeding.
The man had little time left.
Following surgery to repair the man's wound, and an hour cleaning and wrapping his burns, Wade knew that his chance of survival was slim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:23 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Prof. Moore
Father Rucker addresses his academic mate.
I pleased to see that you are all right.

Our time is short and I'll talk briefly ... I came here because the captain turned down my application to join this journey, god's will caused me to arrive in this terrible moment, but I see it as an emissary.
I planned to meet the captain on personal and convince him to let me join. I can help as a scientist and as a father. Not to speak that Antarctica is a fascinating place to be.

Father Rucker eyes the Prof.

Will you help me Prof.?
Professor Moore listened intently to Father Rucker, nodding frequently, although occasionally interrupting him to give directions to a passing dockworker. When the priest finished, Moore looked at him for a few long moments and then smiled without really smiling.

He reached up and clapped Rucker on the shoulder, saying, "Do you know what you are asking, my friend?" He laughed and said, "Sure. I'll see what I can do. Your God must not like you very much!

You may relax in the Ship's Mess while I go talk to the commander."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind stands up from his chair and puts a big dose of snuff under his lipp. 'Im gonna be off to take a look at my gear, dogs and gramaphone' 'i hope all is in shape and ready to go' he walks out the door taking a glance back on the meeting.
As soon as Øyvind nears the hatch to enter the hold, he hears the nervous barking of the dogs within. As he clmbs down the ladder, he can see them running back and forth in their cages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Father P.J. Rucker

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Once back to Shore and with the promise of Prof. Moore to handle his joining to the expedition, Father Rucker will bring his stuff from the hotel to his new cabin. On his way he will buy the local newspaper, wanting to know if someone wrote about the harbor incident, and if police officers commented about any line of investigation.

Øyvind Raknes Sled Driver

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:
Job wrote:As soon as Øyvind nears the hatch to enter the hold, he hears the nervous barking of the dogs within. As he clmbs down the ladder, he can see them running back and forth in their cages.
'shhhh' 'shhh' 'rolig nå skattene mine' 'shhh' 'shhh'
Translation:
Spoiler:
'Calm down my treasures'
(OOC: Handle Animal (1d20+9=18))

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:36 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Once back to Shore and with the promise of Prof. Moore to handle his joining to the expedition, Father Rucker will bring his stuff from the hotel to his new cabin. On his way he will buy the local newspaper, wanting to know if someone wrote about the harbor incident, and if police officers commented about any line of investigation.
Father Rucker did indeed find a news article in the next day's newspaper.

Father P.J. Rucker

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:42 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Nada, nothing on the news. Remark Rucker, placing the newspaper on Prof. Moore' desk. Could be arson or accident, I never knew there was another ship.

He looks again at the newspaper.

Miss Lexington expedition, what do we know about them, who are the scientists over there?

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:43 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Once back to Shore and with the promise of Prof. Moore to handle his joining to the expedition, Father Rucker will bring his stuff from the hotel to his new cabin.
Upon his return to the docks, luggage in tow, Father Rucker spent a half hour attempting to convince policemen and a security guard that he was to be allowed onto the USS Gabrielle. A runner was sent to speak with Professor Moore and returned word that Father Rucker was indeed to be permitted aboard, to await within the ship's mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Øyvind Raknes - Sled Driver

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:46 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:'shhhh' 'shhh' 'rolig nå skattene mine' 'shhh' 'shhh'
Translation:
Spoiler:
'Calm down my treasures'
(OOC: Handle Animal (1d20+9=18))
The dogs are clearly upset about something and, although they quiet down for Øyvind, they continue pacing and whining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Nada, nothing on the news. Remark Rucker, placing the newspaper on Prof. Moore' desk. Could be arson or accident, I never knew there was another ship.

He looks again at the newspaper.

Miss Lexington expedition, what do we know about them, who are the scientists over there?
Father Rucker remembers meeting Martin LeBlanc, the expedition's journalist, on deck just before Martin sacrificed his body to save the female pilot. It occurs to the priest that perhaps Martin has some information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 pm
by Job
Royya wrote:Father Rucker goes to meet Martin, after introducing himself, he'll ask him about the other ship.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 pm
by Job
Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:
Royya wrote:Father Rucker goes to meet Martin, after introducing himself, he'll ask him about the other ship.
OOC: What do I know/remember? It's been awhile...

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 pm
by Job
Martin LeBlanc's Puppeteer wrote:OOC: What do I know/remember? It's been awhile...
For Martin's Eyes Only:
Spoiler:
Here is a copy of the recent news article about Acacia Lexington's expedition.
Martin knows that there was a history of bad blood between James Starkweather and Acacia Lexington. He knows that James led an African safari with Acacia as a member, and apparently the expedition was successful, but something happened during the expedition (Martin is not aware of these details) that created a rift between the two individuals.

Also, below are copies of newspaper articles that resulted from Martin's investigations at the New York Times archives. Only Martin is currently aware of these articles.
Here is a link to the Chapter 1 In Character thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Øyvind Raknes - Sled Driver

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 pm
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind takes out one of his dogs in a rope and lets the dog guide him to the thing that makes them nervous.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 pm
by Job
Spoiler:
***NOTE: This is the point at which this thread was migrated from the EnWorld website. --Job.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:11 pm
by Job
Seeking Martin LeBlanc, Father Rucker is directed to the infirmary where a number of injured and burned crewmembers are receiving treatment.

Dr. Greene points to Martin, who is lying on a cot in the corner, and then returns to his work.

Martin looks to be in very bad condition. He is lying on his side, his face half-wrapped in cloth bandages through which some areas of reddened scalp can be seen where his hair has been burned away. A large bandage covers his shoulders and back. His entire left arm and hand are wrapped like a mummy.

Martin appears to be awake, and as Father Rucker approaches, Martin slowly turns his head and gazes with watery eyes at the priest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Re: Øyvind Raknes - Sled Driver

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 pm
by Job
Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind takes out one of his dogs in a rope and lets the dog guide him to the thing that makes them nervous.
The dog licks Øyvind and jumps around while being freed from the crate and attached to a rope. It then enthusiastically leads Øyvind around tweendeck hold #5, sniffing its way between the stored piles of wood. After searching the entire hold, it looks up at Øyvind, tilts its head, and patiently waits.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 pm
by Anatomist

Øyvind smiles at the big dog 'cluless are you' 'common lets take a walk' Øyvind goes to the hatch going down to lower hold#5 and will walk the lower holds towards the bow.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm
by royya
Martin?
Father Rucker asks and waits for no confirmation from the man. He takes a sit beside Martin and takes out his praying book
Is it OK for me to sit beside you?
I’m father Rucker, a catholic priest and a close friend of Prof. Moore. Can I comfort you with a pray for now, to ease the pain from your soul.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:53 am
by Job
Anatomist wrote:Øyvind smiles at the big dog 'cluless are you' 'common lets take a walk' Øyvind goes to the hatch going down to lower hold#5 and will walk the lower holds towards the bow.
Using the cage-and-pulley system that the dog team installed before departing NYC, Øyvind lowers "Chinook" down into the lower hold. **Chinook is quite happy to be out for a walk with Øyvind! He sniffs, twirls, jumps, runs, and playfully nips at Øyvind, but there isn't much room to investigate since the lower hold is packed tight with supplies to build the camp. Based on Chinook's behavior, Øyvind deduces that the dogs were simply upset with the explosions, alarms, and chaos.

** = Named after Commander Byrd's team's lead dog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 am
by BenTheRat
Martin groans a bit but looks up at the priest. "I hope your not here to give me my last rights?" He chuckled a bit at his own joke and quickly regretted it. "There maybe a time for prayers later, but for now my soul is fine, its my body that could use some help."

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 pm
by royya
Father Rucker smiles and chants a short pray
Do you remember what happened?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm
by BenTheRat
"What with the fire?" Martin responded. "Not much, just trying to be the dashing young hero to save the maiden. Didn't work out like I've seen in the picture shows."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 pm
by royya
Talking with a comforting voice Paul asks
Martin, what do you know about the Lexington expedition?
The one who wants to compete wuth the Starkweather’s and Moore’s voyage?

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 pm
by BenTheRat
Martin looks up at him a bit surprised, "You want to talk about this NOW?" he groans a bit. "Well, ok, not much to tell, I dug up some old articles on her from several years back. Seems her father died mysteriously. Police ruled it a suicide, she didn't believe them. Said it was about some old book."

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:30 pm
by royya
I’m trying to distract you from your pains and the horrible event
Paul Rucker replies with a smile
What book?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 pm
by BenTheRat
"I guess I should thank you then." Martin smiles while wincing. "I'd have to check my notes for the title, but it was a rare Edgar Allen Poe book. Acacia thought that was why her father was murdered. Head strong one she is. Thinks a woman can do anything a man can. Her and the captain go way back. No wonder he's pissed she left before him."

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:18 am
by royya
There is nothing I like more then a good reading, I had done so in the past.
Paul Rucker shudders as he thinks about the books he have stumbled upon and he cannot think that the book Martin is speaking of can be the same.
Have you read it?

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:07 pm
by BenTheRat
"I just remember thinking I'd never heard of it before." Martin says. "But I also thought I remember reading that the one stolen was supposed to be different than the publicly available copy. I could be wrong on that though.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:16 am
by taokan
There came a tapping at the infirmary door, followed almost at once by Camille's head as she poked it round the corner. Her wild curls were flat, plastered to her head by ocean spray and sweat, and still bore the shape of her cap. She'd removed it only just a little while ago when she'd gone below decks, and now clutched it behind her back, spinning the ragged trim between her fingers. She opened her mouth, about to speak, then paused, glancing between Martin and Paul Rucker. The lines she'd rehearsed in her head on the way down seeming rather petty and trite now that she was looking down the loaded barrel of a priest. "Ah. Excusez-moi, curé," she said, stalling for time as she thought. "I'd thought to borrow Monsieur LeBlanc, but it seems I must wait in line." She smiled, awkwardly. She hadn't thought anyone would be here, really, least of all-

Right. Seemed the best plan left to her was to retreat as gracefully as possible. "So," she said after a short pause. "I will be brief. Merci bien de votre assistance, Martin. Thank you."

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm
by BenTheRat
Martin's eyes widened quickly as he smiled. "No, please don't go. I believe the father was just done soothing my soul. Thanks for coming father."

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:27 pm
by royya
It was my pleasure Martin, we'll complete the talk some other time.
Father Rucker nods and gets up
Miss
He nods to Camille and goes out.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 am
by taokan
Camille watched Rucker leave, then said without turning her head, "Got something to confess, Martin?" She perched on the bed opposite, and looked up to see him watching her, his face silver and gray in the light that streamed through the porthole. The bandages were rucked up around his ear, enough that a slivered edge of pinkened skin showed. Camille swallowed. She didn't let herself look away, but after the first few seconds she couldn't read enough from his expression to know how he was taking it. Or where to go from here. Her plans had begun and ended with a simple "thank you," and... Well. Petty didn't seem strong enough to cover it, should that be all she had say to the man who'd saved her life, or ungrateful, though she suspected Moore would have had plenty of words, should she ask him. I'd hope you didn't need his other services was no better, and It'd be rather ungentlemanly of you to up and die before I got this out was, ah, perhaps best saved for later. God, she was bad at this.

She shook her head at him, at herself, her expression tight enough to recall the fire. "You didn't have to do that," she said finally, smile gone crooked, like discarded clothing. "...That's what I'm supposed to say right now, or I will, by the time the story goes to print, won't I?" A moment, then, "There's supposed to be a moment when you hesitate, no? In the papers. They are always saying that there is that moment, before the saving, before the damsel," and here her smile quirked up again, having heard some of the conversation between the two men while she'd dithered in the hall, "gets rescued, but... in my experience, there isn't. You just move. That is how you tell the real and truly heroes from the ones we are told to believe in. I do not think you thought at all, sir." A laugh bubbled up through her nose. She wrinkled it, taking the sting from her words. "In the best way."

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 pm
by BenTheRat
Martin sat there listening to Camille talk. She seemed nervous and uncomfortable. He could see the discomfort in her face even though she was trying not to show it. He tried a smile. "You are more than welcome Camille. And my only confession to the priest was that I was not quick enough to save both you and me. It is like you say, no thinking just moving. I've found in my profession if you think about things too long, the moment has passed and you've missed it. You must seize the moment, so to speak."
He cleared his throat and brought down the volume after realizing he had gotten a bit excited there. "I am very pleased you came to visit."

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:21 am
by taokan
When she takes too long, stares a little too deeply at the clench of her fingers, Camille shifted, swallowing, lashes fluttering. It shouldn't have to be this hard, she thought, trying not to look at the angry flush of burned skin she could just about make out if she looked-

She could feel the sigh in the obvious self-flagellation --self-indulgence, more like-- and feel the frown that followed the intake of breath, the slide of lips in the air just behind a sharp French wrist. "Yes, well. I was going to send out for a singing telegram, but as it turns out, your damsel's a bit of a, ah, "skinflint" was the term? Dignity is a rather steep price." White teeth flashed in a brief smile. "You should be grateful I decided to go easy on the infirm. There were going to be flowers. A band. And I believe I heard mention of a clown?"