CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

Moderator: Job

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: CHAPTER 5: IC - At Sea > Panama to Australia

Post by Mr. Handy »

Katie tosses in two chips of her own when it's her turn. She doesn't want to raise yet, or she might give away that she has something good.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Seon »

"Check," Ernest said.

"Thank god you are here," a sailor muttered.

Ernest shrugged and began to deal out new cards. Another jack for himself and a 7 of hearts to Katie.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,What suits are my aces? I noticed that my two other cards are hearts, and I want to see how close I am to a flush.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Spoiler:
Spades, the Death Card, and Hearts, of Emotions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Thanks. Is there something I need to do at this point? If there's another round of betting now, [b]Ernest[/b] bets first.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

"I will check, gentlemen and lady," Ernest said, tapping the desk.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Check," says Katie, repeating the same action.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Spoiler:
Ernest: Two hidden cards. Jack of Diamonds and Spades

Random Sailor 1: TWo hidden Cards. Jack of Heart and 8 of Diamonds

Katie: Two hidden Cards. Queen of Hearts. 7 of Hearts

Random Sailor 2: Two hidden Cards. 9 of Clubs and Spades.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Ernest hummed to himself as he dealt out a one more card to everyone.

Queen of Diamonds for himself.

9 of hearts to the random sailor

9 of diamonds to Katie

10 of spades to the random sailor 2.

"I think I'll bet," Ernest said, tossing a few chips into the pile. The other sailor repeated the action.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Call," says Katie, tossing in a few chips of her own. She had considered raising but decided against it. She doesn't want anyone to know she has anything special yet. Everyone can see that Ernest has a pair of jacks, so he can get away with raising. Her aces would beat that if it's all he has, but he could have another jack in the hole or be able to form a second pair, and there are still two cards to go.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by royya »

Father Rucker stumbles to where the poker game is. Thought, not interested, he will remain in the area with a drink to absorb the atmosphere. For some sense of humor he will cheer those which relies their success on luck and not faith and comfort those who fail and think about throwing themselves above the rail to the ocean.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Job »

Joining the Card Game,Hello Seon, I have a couple of NPC crewmen who would be itching to join this card game, but I can't tell what their hands are (aside from the two face-down cards and a couple of others). Can you provide me spoiler listing their hands and I'll add a post or two? 8-)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Saturday, 23rd September, 1933

The weather improves after two days of rough seas. By noon on September twenty-fourth, the gusts of wind lessen and then disappear and the surface of the ocean smooths to a near calm.

The return of fair weather raises the explorers' spirits, especially those of Wade Watkins and George Barrow who've been incapacitated for the period, but the Gabrielle's crew does not seem to share the mood. Off-duty sailors watch the scientists with impassive faces, or huddle in corners conversing in low tones before moving elsewhere. Groups of crewmen are seen carrying covered parcels about the ship, seeming to deliberately avoid the investigators. Perhaps this is merely a continuation of the mood of the crewmen from earlier in the expedition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Father Rucker notices the events. Something is wrong he thinks to himself as he recalls what he heard the last time. He thought things will slip away and pass on but apparently not. He tries to converse with the crewmen, one at a time to understand what the problem is, he will rely on his priesthood manners to soften their nerves and share their worries.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Spoiler:
Sailor 1: 7 and 9 of diamonds

sailor 2: 9 of hearts and 3 of hearts
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:"I think I'll bet," Ernest said, tossing a few chips into the pile. The other sailor, Pierce Albemarle, repeated the action.
OOC,Pierce = Sailor 1; Peter Sykes = Sailor 2
Mr. Handy wrote:"Call," says Katie, tossing in a few chips of her own. She had considered raising but decided against it. She doesn't want anyone to know she has anything special yet. Everyone can see that Ernest has a pair of jacks, so he can get away with raising. Her aces would beat that if it's all he has, but he could have another jack in the hole or be able to form a second pair, and there are still two cards to go.
Pierce (pictured above) was sweating as he fidgeted with his chips. It seemed like he was always sweating. He knocked on the table top.

Peter Sykes peeked at his hidden cards, casually looked around the table at each player and their revealed cards, then counted the required number of chips and slowly pushed them towards the middle of the table. He peeked again at his cards and grimaced slightly, then said, "I guess that I'll stick around to see my other cards, thanks. Check."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Father Rucker notices the events. Something is wrong he thinks to himself as he recalls what he heard the last time. He thought things will slip away and pass on but apparently not. He tries to converse with the crewmen, one at a time to understand what the problem is, he will rely on his priesthood manners to soften their nerves and share their worries.
The first few crewmen whom Father Rucker approached simply shook their heads and hurried on. One seamen, Peter Stokely, would not even look the priest in the eyes as he responded in a low voice, "I cannot talk with you right now, Father. They are watching." Then he abruptly turned away to return to his duties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Meet me at my quarters laten on and share your thought cause I am here to share the burden.
Father Rucker replies to Peter Stokely
If speculations will rise, tell them that you had a breakdown of faith and was in need for a priest
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

Previously...
Job and Mr. Handy wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:Katie tells Professor Moore that she would like to teach a class on aircraft maintenance. She'd also be qualified to teach aerial navigation, but the other pilots already have that covered. Likewise, there are already climbers teaching the climbing course. If possible, she'd schedule it in the afternoon.
Job wrote:"It just so happens that Douglas has turned ill this afternoon and won't be able to teach the aerial navigation course, so I'd be pleased if you could replace him," responded Professor Moore.
Mr. Handy wrote:"I'd be delighted," says Katie. "I do hope Douglas feels better soon, though. In that case, I will be able to attend your class in the afternoon."
Job wrote:"Wonderful, Miss Wright, we're lucky to have you on our team," said the Professor. "This will provide me with exactly the opportunity that I've been seeking to alert James that I've sponsored your membership in our expedition. I'll talk to him tonight about it."
"Bloody HELL, Moore! Who gave you the authority to make that decision without me?" came a booming voice down the corridor that could be heard within the Ship's Mess. "We now have another WOMAN aboard this ship?!?" Immediately thereafter, the voices became much more muted although it was obvious that a heated conversation was continuing to take place behind a closed door.

Later that same day...
Professor Moore knocked lightly on Katie's cabin door and waited to hear "Come in," before entering. He looked around the small room and smiled, remarking, "I see that you've added a bit of color to our drab decor, Miss Wright. Very nice.

"I bring good news! James has accepted you on the team. He was a little reluctant when I first approached him, but after a bit of discussion--and perhaps a little gentlemanly arm twisting--he eventually acquiesced. I reminded him that we were in need of an additional, experienced aviator and explained that once Douglas took ill, you immediately volunteered to substitute as teacher for the Aerial Navigation class. You are hereby cleared to move about the ship as you see fit."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)
Job
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Job »

royya wrote:Meet me at my quarters laten on and share your thought cause I am here to share the burden.
Father Rucker replies to Peter Stokely
If speculations will rise, tell them that you had a breakdown of faith and was in need for a priest
Stokely stopped and looked back over his shoulder at the priest. A nervous expression crossed his face and he said, "That will be too late Father. Too late..." And then he was off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job. (the tortured one)

Return to “Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness”