IC-Ep 4-Epilogue(Everyone may read)

The confrontation with the Mi-Go turns violent, and the survivors must flee Pluto for their lives. But will the crew of Styx Base bring humanity's doom back to Earth with them?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 4-Epilogue(Everyone may read)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Conference Room - Alexander Kaiser's Palace, Earth
0800 GMT - Monday, October 17, 2112

Alexander Kaiser, ruler of Earth and all human colonies throughout the solar system, sat in his conference room with his old friend, General Richard Pryce. Though Kaiser seemed larger than life to many, in truth he was short in stature, measuring just over five feet in height. The propaganda pictures and videos always made him seem taller than he actually was. It would be difficult to believe that this little man wielded so much power for anyone who saw him and did not know him personally. The global dictator, however, possessed an uncanny charisma unmatched by anyone alive today, and perhaps by anyone in history.

General Pryce should have remained in quarantine aboard Medical Center 1 with the rest of the survivors from Styx Base, but Kaiser had pulled strings and ordered him released early. Nobody would have dared to contradict the ruler of the world, and so here the general was. The propagandists had spun the evacuation of Styx Base as a heroic journey rather than a retreat. Medals had been flung around with wild abandon, with the highest honors going to General Pryce himself, Lt. Edward Barrett (posthumously), and Captain Juliette Desjardins - who would shortly be promoted to the rank of major once she cleared quarantine and a ceremony could be held. Pryce was to personally present her with her oak leaves.

"It is good to see you, Richard," said Alexander Kaiser as he leaned back in his throne-like chair at the head of the table. The chair was quite high and also sat on a dais, specially designed so that he could appear taller than everyone in the room, even someone who was still standing. "You are looking well."

"Thank you, Alexander," said the general, shaking his hand. Few indeed were the people on a first name basis with the leader.

"The Mi-Go ambassador will be arriving shortly. You know, I would not have agreed to this meeting if anybody but you had suggested it. I would have challenged the Mi-Go, dared them to attack us. But the way you put it makes sense. We have the whip hand here. They may think they've sent us running from Pluto, but we have that chemical weapon that is proven to destroy them. We all owe a great debt to the late Lt. Barrett for that."

"Precisely. Our people are already at work creating massive quantities of the fungicide. Any war with the Mi-Go would go rather badly for them. They missed their chance, and now we shall make them regret it. We can gain far more from them with these negotiations than we would from war - though war always remains an option. In addition, we have recovered and successfully reverse engineered one of their electric guns, thanks to the efforts of Lt. Hu Xiang and Private George Bond. We'll be able to start mass producing similar weapons usable by humans within a month."

"Excellent." A chime rang from the door, and Kaiser raised his voice and spoke into an intercom. "Enter!"

A woman in shining silver ceremonial armor opened the door from the outside. She was tall and severe, with close cropped blonde hair, about forty years old. "My leader, the Mi-Go ambassador has arrived."

"Thank you, Colonel Enright. You may show it in."

"My leader!" Colonel Enright, the head of the Valkyries, Alexander Kaiser's personal elite all female bodyguards, saluted before spinning on her heel and stepping away.

Shortly thereafter, a lone, unarmed Mi-Go entered the conference room. The creature was small even for one of its species, far smaller than Kaiser. Colonel Enright towered over it from behind, her weapon at the ready.

"You may go, Colonel," said Kaiser.

"Sir?" Enright raised a quizzical eyebrow.

"We wish to have complete privacy."

"It is all right," said General Pryce. "I will protect him. I have this." He held up a small aerosol spray can.

Colonel Enright nodded sagely. She had been privy to conversations about the new weapon and understood its potency. She saluted again, stepped out, and closed the door. The room was soundproofed and frequently swept for observation devices, so that the leader could hold conversations with absolute secrecy.

"You do not look so dangerous," said Kaiser, looking down on the Mi-Go. "Even so, do not get any funny ideas. General Pryce here holds a weapon that will prove your undoing. I think your kind have already seen its efficacy. Now then, let us get down to brass tacks. I have drawn up a list of demands. First-"

"You are in no pozzzition to make demandzzz," interrupted the Mi-Go.

Kaiser's face turned red, and he sat up straight. "How dare you speak to me like that?!"

The Mi-Go's buzz increased in intensity. A wave of calm washed over Kaiser, and he leaned back. General Pryce remained where he was, unmoving. "Kaizzzer, you will do whatever we dezzzire."

"I will do whatever you desire," Kaiser said in a dull monotone.

"Our plan hazzz worked perfectly. The humanzzz will obey Kaizzzer, and Kaizzzer will obey uzzz - but the humanzzz will not know we command them. We are the mazzzterzzz of Earth. We are the mazzzterzzz of Earth."
Story
JAYSUN81

Elizabeth Young
YOCKENTHWAITE

Lucuus Verres
IMPINTRAINING

Brook Davies
THORN

General Richard Pryce
MR. HANDY

Lt. Colonel Howard Bruce
MR. HANDY