IC-Chapter 1-After Today(Jerome Padgett/Anthony Scott)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Chapter 1-After Today(Jerome Padgett/Anthony Scott)

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I goofed with the time again. I think the site outage in June threw me, and by the time it came back up I'd forgotten the correct time of day. The class ran from 4:00 to 4:50, so it's an hour later than I thought. I've edited my earlier posts so that the timing makes more sense.
Logan Hall, University of Pennsylvania
4:50 PM - Wednesday, July 16th, 1969
Professor Anthony Scott arrived outside Room 202 of Logan Hall shortly before the end of class, where Assistant Professor Nancy Remington was still waiting. Jerome Padgett wheeled up a couple of minutes later, just as class started to let out.

"Brian was a no-show," Nancy told the men.

Mary emerged from the classroom in the rush of students, most of whom were done for the day and were heading off to dinner or some other activity. She went over to the three of them. "Okay, now I'm really worried," she said. "I can't understand why Brian didn't come. What sort of trouble is he in? What is it you're not telling me?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-After Today(Jerome Padgett/Anthony Scott)

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"I don't know how long you have known Brian," says Jerome, "but his behavior has become more erratic recently. We suspect he may have begun committing thefts, and there are other things about him that I don't want to say out loud because they are only suspicions and they could tarnish his reputation. If we can find him, talk to him, and convince him to talk to his father, maybe we can help him before he gets in trouble with the authorities."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I haven't known him all that long," said Mary. "Just a few months. I met him at an anti-war protest. I knew he was a little troubled, but I had no idea he could be involved in anything like that. Yes, of course I'll help you find him. Like I said, we have a date tonight at 8:00. It's at Lenny's Bar, on South Street near Rittenhouse Square." She gave the address, which was about a mile and half east of the campus, on the other side of the Schuylkill River. "I'll be meeting him there. Maybe he'd skip class if something is wrong, but I can't see him missing tonight."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Thank you. We will try to meet him there. Let me apologize in advance for interrupting your date. I really don't know what will happen when we meet him."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"As long as he shows up, I'll feel a whole lot better," said Mary. "I'll see you there. Is there anything else?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

"Nope. Have a nice day, and don't worry too much - Brian might just be a bit misunderstood," says Jerome, hoping his words will encourage her but hating himself for saying them.
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Nanonano63 »

"I truly do hope that he shows up for his date this evening. I must admit I am beginning to become worried for him."
"Now, Mr. Padgett my growing concern for Mr. Anderson and my own curiosity urged me to ask you what else you know about Brian and his recent activities? I get the impression that there is more here than you have told me," inquires Anthony, hoping that he does not come across as too demanding he gives a friendly grin. "I am just wishing that this will all have a happy ending if at all possible."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mary nodded and crossed her arms, but she didn't leave yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Jerome pauses. He doesn't want to explain things, but he especially does not want Mary overhearing.

"Why don't you come back to where I work, Professor Scott? I can explain things to you there, and there is a slight chance that Brian's father will not have left yet, so you could talk to him personally."
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

"That sounds like an excellent idea," replies Anthony.

Realizing that Mary shouldn't be privy to the discussion he says, "We will see you at your date, Mary. Take care."

"Lead the way Mr. Padgett."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Okay, I'll see you there," said Mary as the two men left with Nancy Remington. They made their way back across campus to John Morgan Hall, where Dr. Gregory Anderson had his lab.

John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
5:00 PM - Wednesday, July 16, 1969

Dr. Anderson's lab was in Room 110 of John Morgan Hall. Nancy, Jerome, and Anthony Scott approached the door, which had a dead bolt lock. It was open, and Dr. Gregory Anderson was inside, just putting on his coat and getting ready to leave. He was a tall and confident man in his late forties, with brown hair just starting to turn gray and a full beard and glasses, and he bore a worried expression. The lab looked like a standard science lab, but it had a Westinghouse refrigerator that was locked with a padlock, several cots in the back, and a television set.

"Ah, good, you're back," Dr. Anderson said. "And who is this gentleman?"

"This is Professor Anthony Scott," said Nancy. "One of Brian's teachers."

"A pleasure to meet you, sir." He stuck out his hand.
OOC,[b]Anthony Scott[/b], roll Psychology to get an impression of [b]Dr. Anderson[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

"It's good to meet you as well, sir," replies Anthony grasping his hand and giving a good, firm handshake.

Anthony watches intently, trying to understand the man standing before him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your help trying to locate my son, Professor Scott," said Dr. Anderson, returning his handshake. He was slightly lacking in physical strength, but he made up for it with a formidable mind. "Is there anything new you can tell me?"
Professor Anthony Scott,[b]Dr. Anderson[/b] was clearly showing a lot of worry. He was worried about his son [b]Brian[/b], of course, but there seemed to be something else weighing heavily on his mind. [b]Anthony[/b] also got the impression that this was a man who played his cards close to the vest, always eager to seek out information but rarely divulging it himself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

"I would love to tell you that we have made a lot of progress, but I have discovered very little that could help,"said Anthony. "Though i must say if i was told exactly what was going on I would be able to better help you, and please don't insult me by asking what I'm talking about. I know there is something your not telling me, and i would like to know what that is."
"I want to help. I'm just asking that you help me help you."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My assistants have already tell you all you need to know to find Brian," says Dr. Anderson. "There are personal matters between my son and I that I'd rather not discuss with someone I've just met, as much as I appreciate your efforts. It's not something you need to know."
OOC,[b]Anthony[/b], if you want to press the matter, roll Persuade.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

"I understand that sir, and i do wish to respect your privacy. I just think that the better I understand what Brian is going through the better I will be able to help find him. Who knows maybe once we find him I can help him through it," replied Dr. Scott.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Dr. Anderson nodded. "You may be right," he said. "Okay, I'll tell you. I'm conducting a psychological experiment involving sleep and dreaming. I've developed an herbal compound I've named Morpheus, which I believe can be used to induce lucid dreaming - that's when you know you're in a dream and you can control the world of the dream. We have reason to believe that Brian may have stolen some of it this morning. I do not want to involve the police. I'd prefer to find my son and get to the bottom of this before he gets in trouble."
OOC,[b]Anthony Scott[/b], roll History to see what you know about the name Morpheus. [b]Jerome[/b], if you haven't already attempted this roll you may do so too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

I made the roll in a former thread and got "Morpheus sounded vaguely Greek",which I had sort of realized already. Surely Jerome, who is Dr. Anderson's colleague and should have equal clearance, could just ask the doctor at a quiet moment why he choose the name? (If there is a chance, of course.)
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

Hmm, Morpheus I feel like I've heard that before, thinks Anthony but soon the thought passes from his mind.
"I see. That's quite incredible." Anothony is genuinely intrigued by this drug, though he quickly overcomes his academic curiosity and refocusses on the task at hand. "His friends have mentioned that he has gone to a church. We searched the ones near campus to no avail. Do you have any idea where he would go if he was in trouble, someplace where he felt safe?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jerome Padgett,Yes, of course you can ask him. I do remember now that you rolled before but failed narrowly.
"I wish I did," said Dr. Anderson. "If he hasn't gone back to the frat house where he lives, I can't think of any place. He has been troubled these last few years, and the two of us are not as close as we once were. I don't know of any churches nearby that would be important to him. I think Mr. Padgett asked me the same thing earlier, before he met you. I suppose great minds think alike. Is there anything else?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”