Character Creation and Discussion

July 1969 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in a hot war in Vietnam and a cold war with the Soviet Union, while on the homefront there is tremendous unrest as the culture undergoes radical changes. While astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins are on their way to a date with destiny aboard Apollo 11, life on Earth is becoming more and more confusing. Defenders of established traditions are fighting an increasingly losing battle against those who want change. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll are becoming more prevalent, and the threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the planet like a shroud.

July 2009 - a time of great turmoil. America is deeply embroiled in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, while on the homefront there is tremendous political division and the economy is in dire shape. A new president promises change, but can he possibly live up to lofty expectations? Crime has worsened with the economic situation, the scourge of drugs ruins countless lives, and the threat of another terrorist attack looms always in the background.

Strange events are happening that link these times together, and a handful of people find themselves caught up in them. Will they figure out what's going on before they lose their minds - or their heads?

Moderator: Mr. Handy

TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years

Re: Character Creation and Discussion

Post by TheAlchemist »

Bumped up psychoanalysis to 64
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

Made a mistake on calculating my luck, it should be seventy.

Edit: Heh, I see your smarter then me and already fixed that. My bad.
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

Are you still accepting players? If so I am thinking about a Mathematics Professor.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, nanonano63! I think I can squeeze one more in. Go ahead and create your character when you're ready, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

could i use one of the extra skill slots for mathematics? Also for education i rolled a 12, which is a high school education for a professor can i swap a score or get a reroll?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mathematics isn't a listed skill, but yes, you can use it as one of your occupational skills (one of the ones you choose from that long list). It has a base skill of 1%. There are ways we can get your EDU higher. What were your stat rolls? I'll let you deduct up to 3 points from one skill to add to EDU, which can get it to 15. If you want it higher, you can always make your character older. For every full 10 years older than the minimum age (21 for EDU 15), you get +1 EDU free, and the 20 occupational skill points to go with it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

ok i will take two from my INT (16) and then he is 42 so that will give him another +2. for a total of 16 which sounds much better.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, that works out fine. EDU 16 could be someone with a Master's degree.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

allright here's my character. how does he look?

Dr. Anthony (Tony) Scott

Education: University of Oxford (D.Phil. Mathematics 1955), Yale University (MS Physics 1950), University of Pittsburgh (BS Mathematics 1946)

Birthplace: Pleasant Valley, Ohio
Sex: Male

Background: Anthony was born in Pleasant Valley, Ohio in 1927 to Stan and Ruth Scott. His parents were devout Christians and tried to instill this faith in Anthony and his brothers. He was the first of three brothers. Anthony was an active child, spending his time participating in sports with the local boys. He was also a small child and he often became the object of fun natured bullying. He would sometimes come home with bruises and sores. As Anthony grew older he took an interest in martial arts in the hope that he could avoid most injuries. This interest would stay with him throughout his life, it became a way to cope with the stressors of life.

While Anthony was a bright kid he never applied himself in school, because he just didn’t care. As he approached the end of high school and the realization of his draft registration dawned on him. Right then and there he decided that college was a better choice than going to war. Ironically once he got to college he discovered that he loved to learn. After graduating from Pittsburgh he went on to Yale and then Oxford. While at Oxford, Anthony spent a lot of time in Germany studying the works of the mathematician Gauss.

During his time in Germany he met and married his wife Katrina. They had their first child a beautiful girl, Roselynn, in 1952. Even with the weight of a doctoral thesis ever on his mind Anthony devoted himself to his daughter, and there was never a more loving father. Unfortunately, three weeks after defending his thesis, Rose contracted polio. The family returned home, in hope of medical care to save their child, but a year later she had passed away. In the wake of this tragedy, Anthony lost all faith in a God and turned to the one thing he knew: mathematics. He managed to get a job at his alma mater, the University of Pittsburgh. After two failed pregnancies the Scotts finally had another child; a boy, Joshua, in June of 1967. Anthony is starting to believe that his life might have a happy ending now, though the fear of losing his child again is constantly on the horizon.

Stats:

Str 10 Dex12 Int 14 Idea 70
Con 7 App 10 Pow 13 Luck 65
Siz 12 San 65 Edu 16 Know 80

Skills: (Here are the ones I spent skill points in)

Credit Rating: 30% (SK)
Dodge: 50% (H)
Drive Automobile: 30% (H)
Library Use: 65% (SK)
Martial Arts: 60% (H)
Other Languages/German: 63% (SK)
Own Language/English: 80% (this is default no points were spent)
Persuade: 30% (SK)
Physics: 75% (SK)
Psychology: 45% (SK)
Swim: 35% (H)
Mathematics: 75% (SK)
Fist: 55% (H)
Grapple: 30% (H)
Kick: 50% (H)

Wealth: 5

H = Hobby
SK = Specialty Skill
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks great! You underspent in the hobby points department, having only spent 130 out of 140 points, so go ahead and spend the remaining 10. Also, the way Martial Arts works is that you make a single attack roll as normal in unarmed combat, against whichever skill is appropriate (Fist/Punch, Grapple, Kick, or Head Butt). If you get higher than the appropriate skill, you miss. If you get equal to or less, then you compare the number rolled to your Martial Arts skill. If it's less than or equal to your Martial Arts skill as well, you double your damage dice if your attack is not countered (i.e., 2d3 for a punch, 2d6 for a kick, or 2d4 for a head butt). You have no damage bonus, but if you did it would not be doubled. If it's higher than Martial Arts, but still less than or equal to the unarmed combat skill you rolled against, you just do normal damage. Thus, there is no point in having Martial Arts higher than your highest unarmed attack skill. However, with the 10 spare points available, you can spend some or all of them to get Fist/Punch or Kick up to 60. Or you could lower Martial Arts to 55 and have 15 total hobby points left to spend. Also, you should specify which Martial Art your character has studied.

Would you like to be related to Kathleen Scott? She has a father named Anthony Scott, but your character is too young to actually be him (and he's from Scranton and has a different background), but Kathleen could be your cousin one generation removed.

Your yearly income is $11,000 (not bad in 1969 dollars). You have $5,500 cash in the bank, another $5,500 in stocks and bonds, and an additional $44,000 in other assets (a decent house might be valued at only around $20,000 in 1969, so you could still have a car and other things in addition to it). You should think about what you own and what you'd normally carry on you.

Also, the story is set in Philadelphia, not Pittsburgh, and in July 1969 rather than June 1967. I'd like for Anthony Scott to be teaching at the University of Pennsylvania. Perhaps he's taken a new job there in the last couple of years.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

Alright here's another go.
I switched up the background to correct for the city, i was just mistaken at first. And i went ahead and specified Karate since it encompasses punching kicking an grappling, and most of the other martial arts don't make it to America till the 70's.

As far as being related to Kathleen Scott, i think it would be an interesting dynamic though i don't think they would know each other well as Anthony has been out of the country for most of her life.

As for items he carries regularly I'm still figuring that out i should get know pretty soon, though it probably won't be much since he doesn't own a gun and he's just a professor. He does own a car though since he lives just outside of Philadelphia (he's just not a big city fan), and has to commute to work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Anthony (Tony) Scott

Education: University of Oxford (D.Phil. Mathematics 1955), Yale University (MS Physics 1950), University of Pennsylvania (BS Mathematics 1946)

Birthplace: Pleasant Valley, Ohio

Background: Anthony was born in Pleasant Valley, Ohio in 1927 to Stan and Ruth Scott. His parents were devout Christians and tried to instill this faith in Anthony and his brothers. He was the first of three brothers. Anthony was an active child, spending his time participating in sports with the local boys. He was also a small child and he often became the object of fun natured bullying. He would sometimes come home with bruises and sores. As Anthony grew older he took an interest in the martial art of karate in the hope that he could avoid most injuries. This interest would stay with him throughout his life; it became a way to cope with the stressors of life.

While Anthony was a bright kid he never applied himself in school, because he just didn’t care. As he approached the end of high school and the realization of his draft registration dawned on him. Right then and there he decided that college was a better choice than going to war. Ironically once he got to college he discovered that he loved to learn. After graduating from Pennsylvania he went on to Yale and then Oxford. While at Oxford, Anthony spent a lot of time in Germany studying the works of the mathematician Gauss.

During his time in Germany he met and married his wife Katrina. They had their first child a beautiful girl, Roselynn, in 1952. Even with the weight of a doctoral thesis ever on his mind Anthony devoted himself to his daughter, and there was never a more loving father. Unfortunately, three weeks after defending his thesis, Rose contracted polio. The family returned home, in hope of medical care to save their child, but a year later she had passed away. In the wake of this tragedy, Anthony lost all faith in a God and turned to the one thing he knew: mathematics. He managed to get a job at his alma mater, the University of Pennsylvania. After two failed pregnancies the Scotts finally had another child; a boy, Joshua, in February of 1969. Anthony is starting to believe that his life might have a happy ending now, though the fear of losing his child again is constantly on the horizon.

Stats:

Str 10 Dex 12 Int 14 Idea 70
Con 7 App 10 Pow 13 Luck 65
Siz 12 San 65 Edu 16 Know 80

Skills: (Here are the ones I spent skill points in)

Credit Rating: 35% (SK)

Dodge: 50% (H)
Drive Automobile: 30% (H)
Library Use: 65% (SK)
Martial Arts: 55% (H)
Other Languages/German: 63% (SK)
Own Language/English: 80% (this is default no points were spent)
Persuade: 30% (SK)
Physics: 75% (SK)
Psychology: 45% (SK)
Swim: 40% (H)
Mathematics: 75% (SK)
Fist: 55% (H)
Grapple: 30% (H)
Kick: 55% (H)

Wealth: 5

H = Hobby
SK = Specialty Skill
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, you're good to go! I posted your character sheet, and I should be able to get your IC thread started soon. Remember that you can't read IC threads that your character isn't in.

Stan Scott is the younger brother of Kathleen's paternal grandfather, which makes Anthony Scott the first cousin of his namesake, Kathleen's father, and the first cousin once removed of Kathleen, who is a grad student in the history department at the U. of P.

Joshua can be two years old if you prefer. I hadn't realized that the date was part of the previous sentence saying when he was born, and thought it was the beginning of the next one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

ok i will change joshua's age back then
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Handy,
Kathleen is currently a grad student in law at the university. She has a MA in History already along with a BA in another subject which I think is physics.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's right, thanks. Anthony Scott knows a lot about physics and probably also teaches physics courses in addition to math.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

yeah that makes sense that he would teach physics as well
TheAlchemist
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by TheAlchemist »

I think I found a picture for Father Levington.

This one is a little crisper, but has someone else in it.

Nanonano63
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Nanonano63 »

Here is a good photo for Anthony Scott.
Scooby
Layman
Layman

Post by Scooby »

Player: Scooby
Name: Jim Jacobs
Current residence:

Characteristics

Str: 13
Con: 09
pOW: 14 (lUCK-70)
dEX: 07
aPP: 07
Siz: 09
Int: 17 (Idea-85)
Edu: 15 (kNOW-75)
Wealth: 03

Sanity:99
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity:70
Hit Points:9
Magic Points:14
Damage Bonus:+0

Background.

Jim Jacobs was born in 1937, brought up in a small town,
He followed in his fathers footsteps and joined the army when he was 16, After 10 years of service,
Jim retired, secluding himself in the woods away from the Harsh realitys of the world.
He dosnt like to think about the past.. his army career was tough and both parents died during the war.
All he wanted to do now was relax in the country, and live out the rest of his life!

Skills.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *)
Accounting (10%): 20
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 35
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%): 15
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%): 10
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 20
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2):
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%): 60
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%): 20
Law (05%): 20
Library Use (25%): 15
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%): 60
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machinery (01%):
.Other Language: Latin (01%):
.Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 75
Persuade (15%): *25
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
.Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 60
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 10
.Spot Hidden (25%): 20
Swim (25%): 10
Throw (25%):
Track (10%): 20

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
.Handgun (20%): 25
Machine Gun (15%):
.Rifle (25%): 25
.Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

My income is $7,000 per year, in 1969 dollars. You have a total of $35,000 in assets, of which $3,500 is cash in the bank, $3,500 is in stocks and bonds, and $28,000 is in other assets (house, car, etc.).

How does this sound.. Didnt have much time to do a full description..
Am thinking i may need too change a few hobby skills..?
Would be more proficiant with weapons wouldnt he?
Not sure what kind of weapons would be available at the time?
But he would have a few stored away in his cabin..!

Also not sure on my location..?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The story takes place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and your character would probably start out somewhere in the city (and would need a reason to be there, seeing as he avoids cities and lives out in the countryside). I'll decide exactly where and when you start out.

It looks like you've put the skill points you spent next to each skill, instead of putting the totals there. For instance, if you've spent 20 skill points on Accounting, which has a base of 10%, your Accounting skill is 30%. You've spent a bit much on First Aid for someone your character's age. If you've really added 60 points, that would give you a 90% skill, making your character one of the foremost experts in the world. You should lower that skill to 75, or at most 80. The points you deducted can then be redirected to other occupational skills. You appear to have only spent 290 occupational skill points out of 300 and 160 hobby points out of 170, so you have some additional points to spend. Also, if you rolled a 15 for EDU, then you get +1 EDU for your character's age. This makes your EDU 16, giving you 80 in Know, 80% in Own Language, and an additonal 20 occupational skill points (meaning you have 30 left to spend). It's not clear which skill is your eighth occupation skill. If Sneak is that skill, then the total points spent above are correct. If that's a hobby skill, then you've spent all of your hobby points but still have 40 occupational points left.

As for weapons, just give me a wish list of what sorts you'd want, and then I can choose the exact model that would exist in 1969. For handguns, let me know whether you want them to be revolvers or semiautomatics, as well as what caliber. For rifles, we can work out something similar. Just tell me what you want, and I'll let you know if it existed then, its stats, if it's legal to own, and if you can afford it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Space Oddity”