The End of It All - FINALIST

Here are the five finalists. Please read and vote for your personal favourite. We hope you enjoy reading them as much as we did.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

The End of It All - FINALIST

Post by carnage_lee »

The End of It All

This is a work of interactive Mythos fiction in which the reader plays the part of the main character. Do not read this story from beginning to end. Instead, start by reading section 1. At the end of the section, you will make a choice that will direct you to the next section. Continue reading and following directions until you reach an ending. There are multiple paths and endings, so feel free to go back and try different choices after your first reading.

{{{1}}}

You sit behind your desk in the Arkham Police Department, drinking your coffee and reading the extra edition of the Arkham Advertiser for October 29, 1929. The headline screams in large bold letters “BLACK TUESDAY,” and below smaller letters say “PANIC CONTINUES ON WALL STREET.” You shake your head, the coffee tasting especially bitter today. It feels like the end of an era, but are the good times truly coming to an end?
“Detective Drake!” bellows the voice of Lieutenant Joe Sterling as he emerges from his office. You put the paper away and look up when you hear your name. “Got a new case for you. Get down to Miskatonic University’s library and see the woman at the front desk. There’s been a break-in and theft.”
“Yes, sir,” you say, getting up and gathering your things. You get in your car and drive, and before long the ivy-coated buildings of the campus come into view. It does not take long to find the library. You park outside, enter, and approach the desk. A pretty young lady with square-rimmed glasses, her dark hair in a bun, sits behind it. “Miss? I’m Detective Drake. I’m here about the burglary.”
“Oh, hello, Detective,” she says, standing. “I’m Patricia Clarke. Let me show you where the book was.” She motions to an assistant to cover for her and leads you through the library.
“Someone stole a book?” you ask.
“It’s a very rare and valuable book.” You follow her to the rare books section, which is in a separate room behind a locked metal door. She fishes in her purse for the key. “It’s called the Necronomicon. There are only a handful of known copies.” She opens the door and lets you inside.
The room beyond is a complete mess. Shelves have been overturned and books lie scattered all over the place. “There any other way into this room?”
“No, sir. As you can see, there aren’t even any windows. Some of the books are delicate and could be damaged by sunlight.” Patricia shows you an empty podium where shards are all that remain of a glass case. “It was the only book missing. It has a black leathery cover and old yellowed pages. Just looking at it gives me the creeps.”
If you want to examine the door first, go to 2. If you want to examine the podium, go to 3.

{{{2}}}

A cursory examination of the door shows no sign whatsoever of forced entry. You dust it for fingerprints. “Who has a key to this door?” you ask.
“Well, I do,” says Patricia, “and so does Professor Armitage, the head librarian. I was the one who found the room like this. Nobody else was in here since I got in this morning. Everything looked normal when I locked up last night.”
“I’ll need to take your prints for comparison.” When you’re done with the door, you go back to inspect the podium. The glass case looks like it was smashed by a mighty blow. You check for prints here, but don’t find any that you can use. Go to 4.

{{{3}}}

The glass case looks like it was smashed by a mighty blow. You check for prints, but you don’t find any that you can use. However, you do find what seems to be a bit of black fur on the floor beside it. You collect it with a pair of tweezers and put it in a small bag. When you’re done, you go back to the door and dust it for prints. You don’t see any obvious signs of forced entry. “Who has a key to this door?” you ask.
“Well, I do,” says Patricia, “and so does Professor Armitage, the head librarian. I was the one who found the room like this. Nobody else was in here since I got in this morning. Everything looked normal when I locked up last night.”
“I’ll need to take your prints for comparison.” Go to 4.

{{{4}}}

“Do you know who looked at this ‘Necronomicon’ recently?” you ask Patricia as you get her fingerprints.
“Yes, we make a record of it any time someone takes it out of the case to look at it, and I already reviewed it. The book is never allowed out of this room. Professor Armitage studied it a few times in the last couple of months. There was also a Reverend Stuart Smalls from the South Church who just saw it on Friday, and a Reverend William Bowen of the Church of Starry Wisdom examined it two weeks ago.”
“And you said Armitage is the only one who has the key aside from yourself?”
“Yes…but you can’t suspect him, can you? He’s an upstanding scholar, and I know him well. Besides, he could look at the book any time he wants.”
If you want to talk to Armitage first, go to 5. If you want to go see Reverend Smalls, go to 12. If you want to question Reverend Bowen, go to 24.

{{{5}}}

“Where can I find Armitage?” you ask.
“His office is upstairs,” says Patricia. “I’ll take you to him.” She leads the way and shows you into Armitage’s office. Henry Armitage is an old, tired-looking man with a white beard seated at a desk much neater than yours. “Professor, this is Detective Drake from the Arkham Police.”
“Thank you, Miss Clarke,” he says. “You may leave us.” He waves her away, and she closes the door behind her. “I take it you‘re here about the theft of the Necronomicon? I don‘t have much time, but I‘ll try to answer your questions as best I can.”
If you ask Armitage about his whereabouts last night, go to 6. If you ask what he knows about the Necronomicon, go to 7. If you ask about Patricia, go to 8. If you ask about Smalls, go to 9. If you ask about Bowen, go to 10.

{{{6}}}

“I went home in the evening and was there all night,” says Armitage. “I came in at eight this morning.”
“Is there anyone who can confirm this?” you ask.
Armitage frowns. “No, I’ve lived alone since my wife passed. You don’t seriously think I stole it? I think you’ve taken up enough of my time, Detective. Good day.”
You don’t know if he’s simply offended or has something to hide, but you don’t have enough to bring him in for questioning. Reluctantly, you leave.
Go to 11.

{{{7}}}

“It’s a very dangerous book in the wrong hands,” says Armitage.
“Dangerous?” you say, confused. “But it’s just a book.”
“A book with instructions for making a bomb is just a book too, but still dangerous. It would take too long to explain why the Necronomicon is a danger except to say that it inspires madness, but I hope you can recover it from whoever stole it.”
“Has anyone tried to steal it before?”
“As a matter of fact, there was an attempt earlier this year.”
“Could be the same guy then.”
“I doubt it. The fellow, Wilbur Whateley from Dunwich, was killed by a guard dog trying to break in after I refused to let him borrow the book. His grandfather would want it too, but he’s also dead.”
“What about his father?”
Armitage shivers. “Nobody knows for sure who his father was, but…well, he must be even more monstrous than his son.”
If you want to ask Armitage about his whereabouts last night, go to 6. If you want to ask about Patricia, go to 8. If you want to ask about Smalls, go to 9. If you want to ask about Bowen, go to 10. If you have no more questions, go to 11.

{{{8}}}

“How well do you know Patricia Clarke?” you ask.
“She’s worked for me for a few years now, and I trust her implicitly,” says Armitage.
“But she told me that you and she are the only ones with keys to the rare books room. There was no forced entry, so one of you must have unlocked the door.”
Armitage glares at you. “I don’t like your tone, Detective. I assure you that neither Miss Clarke nor I had anything to do with this. Good day.”
You don’t know if he’s simply offended or has something to hide, but you don’t have enough to bring him in for questioning. Reluctantly, you leave.
Go to 11.

{{{9}}}

“Reverend Smalls seemed like an okay fellow,” says Armitage. “He’s come in to the library on a number of occasions to look up some occult tome or another. I thought it odd at first that a man of the cloth would be interesting in such things, but when I asked he said that we should not be ignorant of the devil’s devices. Very intelligent man, and a real fire-and-brimstone preacher. I can’t imagine him perpetrating such an act.”
If you want to ask Armitage about his whereabouts last night, go to 6. If you want to ask about Patricia, go to 8. If you want to ask about Bowen, go to 10. If you have no more questions, go to 11.

{{{10}}}

“Now there was an odd duck,” says Armitage. “If his credentials hadn’t checked out I never would have let him even look at the Necronomicon. I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s something off about him. If I were a betting man, my money would be on him.”
“But how could he have gotten in without the key?” you ask.
Armitage shrugs. “I haven’t the foggiest. Figuring that out is your job, Detective.”
If you want to ask Armitage about his whereabouts last night, go to 6. If you want to ask about Patricia, go to 8. If you have no more questions, go to 11.

{{{11}}}

You leave the library and return to your automobile, pondering your next move.
If you want to go see Reverend Smalls, go to 12. If you want to question Reverend Bowen, go to 24.

{{{12}}}

The South Church is packed with worshippers. Apparently the stock market crash has left people looking for answers. Reverend Stuart Smalls, a tall man in his early fifties, leads the services. You stand in the back and patiently wait for them to conclude. After his flock files out, you approach the minister.
“How may I help you, my son?” he asks.
“Detective Drake, Arkham Police,” you say, showing him your badge. “I’d like to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind.”
“Of course, Detective. What about?”
If you want to ask what he knows about the Necronomicon, go to 13. If you want to ask where he was last night, go to 14. If you want to tell him about the theft of the Necronomicon and see how he reacts, go to 15.

{{{13}}}

“A foul, dark book,” says Smalls. “I feel better knowing it is under lock and key. Why do you ask about it?”
If you want to ask him where he was last night, go to 14. If you want to tell him about the theft, go to 15.

{{{14}}}

“Where were you last night, Reverend?” you ask.
“Where was I?” he says. “Why, I was here, of course. My living quarters are in the church.”
“Was anyone with you?”
“No, I was alone. Are you accusing me of something?”
“Why, do you have something to hide?”
The reverend’s nostrils flare. “Either arrest me or get out of my church, Detective!”
You do not have enough evidence to charge him or to obtain a search warrant. You take your leave while he stares daggers at your retreating back.
Go to 18.

{{{15}}}

“The Necronomicon was stolen from the Miskatonic University library last night,” you say.
Smalls gives you a shocked look, but he doesn’t seem really surprised. “That is terrible news indeed,” he says. “If that book falls into the wrong hands…You must know I examined it once, or you would not have come. Do you have any suspects?”
If you want to ask him where he was last night, go to 14. If you want to ask him about Armitage, go to 16. If you want to ask him about Bowen, go to 17. If you want to leave, go to 18.

{{{16}}}

“A gentleman and a scholar,” says Smalls. “He would not have stolen it, of that I am certain.”
If you want to ask him where he was last night, go to 14. If you want to ask him about Bowen, go to 17. If you want to leave, go to 18.

{{{17}}}

“Now there’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing,” says Smalls. “I only met him once, but it was enough. Did he also go to see the Necronomicon?” You nod. “Well, there you go, then.”
“I’m curious as to how he could have gotten in without the key,” you say. “The door wasn’t forced.”
“I don’t know. Perhaps you should go ask him.”
If you want to ask Smalls where he was last night, go to 14. If you want to leave, go to 18.

{{{18}}}

You return to your car and consider what to do now.
If you want to stake out the South Church, go to 19. If you want to go to the Church of Starry Wisdom and question Bowen, go to 24.

{{{19}}}
You watch the church from your car. Nothing unusual happens for hours. The sun goes down and it begins to get dark. Then your patience is rewarded when Smalls emerges from the church carrying a briefcase and wearing a black robe. He walks over to a bicycle on a rack near the front door, puts the briefcase in its basket, and starts to pedal away to the south. You wonder where he’s going, as the city limits are not that far in that direction.
If you want to search the church while Smalls is gone, even though you have no warrant, go to 20. If you want to follow Smalls, go to 21.

{{{20}}}

You head inside the church and look around. Nobody is there, and you begin a methodical search of the building. You do not find any book resembling the description you got of the Necronomicon, but you do see a piece of paper on a writing desk in the reverend’s study. It is a rough map of Arkham and the surrounding area. A route has been drawn on the map in black ink, leading from the church and into the woods south of Arkham, where it terminates in a large X.
If you want to drive to the spot on the map indicated by the X, go to 22. If you want to keep searching the church, go to 23.

{{{21}}}

You keep your distance from Smalls so he doesn’t see you tailing him. He pedals south through the woods outside Arkham for a while before turning off the road. You park the car and proceed carefully on foot. Soon you arrive at a clearing and see a shocking sight.
Go to 39.

{{{22}}}

You snatch the map and rush back to your car. Following the directions on the map, you drive south out of town, hoping that Smalls isn’t too far ahead. The X is positioned off the road, so you park the car as close as you can get and proceed carefully on foot. Soon you arrive at a clearing and see a shocking sight.
Go to 39.

{{{23}}}

Certain that the Necronomicon must be hidden here somewhere, you search each room thoroughly, starting with the study where you found the map. After a while, you hear a rumbling sound like thunder. A storm must be starting. You continue your search, but it remains fruitless. The noise of the storm gets louder as time goes on, building to a crescendo. Then a tremendous crack seems to rip the heavens apart! The roof of the church is ripped away by a howling wind, revealing the sky. But instead of the moon and stars, you see a swirl of impossible colors and shapes. You gape in shock, but only for a few seconds before a wave of force and heat incinerates you.
The End

{{{24}}}

You drive to the Church of Starry Wisdom, a dark and imposing building on the fringes of town. It looks new, but there is a faint scent of decay that has no discernable source. You get out of your car and go up to the huge double doors, which are unlocked. They creak ominously as you push them open and step inside.
The main hall is long and narrow, and at the far end is an altar with a tall candelabra behind it. Several people in white hooded robes kneel in prayer, chanting in an eerie language you’ve never heard before. Two more stand behind the altar, leading the chant. One of them comes around and approaches you. She lifts her hood, revealing the face of a middle-aged blonde woman. “May I help you?” she asks.
“I’m Detective Drake of the Arkham Police,” you say. “I’m looking for Reverend Bowen.”
“I’m Mrs. Bowen,” she says. “My husband is leading the services. If you would care to wait, he should be done in about an hour.” She replaces her hood and returns to her place behind the altar.
You wait for a while, and it turns out to be closer to two hours than one before the ceremony finishes. The robed figures finally stop their chanting. Some of them take seats around the room, while others walk through a door at the back of the room into the interior of the church. Reverend Bowen comes forward and raises his hood. He is in his forties, with black hair and a long, thin beard. His deep eyes seem to stare through you.
“Yes, Detective?” asks Bowen.
If you want to ask him where he was last night, go to 25. If you want to ask him what he knows about the Necronomicon, go to 26. If you want to tell him about the theft and see how he reacts, go to 27.

{{{25}}}

“I was here last night,” says Bowen. “We have midnight services. Any of the people here will confirm my presence.” A few of the congregants do so.
“Surely they don’t last all night,” you say. “Can anyone vouch for your whereabouts the rest of the time?”
“My wife can. We were together.” Mrs. Bowen nods. “Now, if you want me to answer any more questions, tell me what this is about.”
Go to 27.

{{{26}}}

“What do you know of the Necronomicon?” you ask.
“It’s a very rare book,” says Bowen, “filled with ancient wisdom. There is a copy at Miskatonic University. Why do you want to know about it?”
If you want to ask him where he was last night, go to 25. If you want to tell him about the theft, go to 27.

{{{27}}}

“The Necronomicon was stolen last night from Miskatonic University,” you say.
Bowen looks genuinely surprised, and a bit sad too. “That is a shame,” he says. “I only had the opportunity to consult it once. I do hope you recover it. I will be glad to help in any way I can.”
If you want to ask him about Armitage, go to 28. If you want to ask him about Smalls, go to 29. If you want to leave, go to 30.

{{{28}}}

“The good professor was most helpful when I met him,” says Bowen. “It seems implausible that he would want to steal his own book.”
If you want to ask about Smalls, go to 29. If you want to leave, go to 30.

{{{29}}}

“I only met him once,” says Bowen, “but I could tell he’s not right in the head. He railed against the Necronomicon and similar books, calling them evil and the devil’s tools. If you ask me, I think he stole it in order to destroy it. If you’ll excuse me, I have business to attend to.”
You thank Bowen and leave the church.
Go to 30.

{{{30}}}

When you step outside, you see that the sun is getting lower in the sky.
If you want to drive to the South Church to look for Smalls, go to 31. If you want to stake out the Church of Starry Wisdom, go to 32.

{{{31}}}

You arrive at the South Church shortly after sunset. There is no sign of activity within.
Go to 20.

{{{32}}}

You sit in your car and watch. The sun starts to go down, and soon people begin to leave the church. They have shed their robes and are wearing normal, everyday clothes. You wait a while to be sure that nobody else is coming out, but nothing seems to be happening.
If you want to go to the South Church now and look for Smalls, go to 31. If you want to try to enter the church, go to 33. If you want to continue watching, go to 34.

{{{33}}}

You head to the front doors, which are now locked.
If you want to go to the South Church, go to 31. If you want go back to your car and wait, go to 34. If you want to try to pick the lock, go to 35.

{{{34}}}

More time passes. Nothing of interest happens at the church, but you hear a distant rumbling sound like thunder. A storm must be starting, but no rain falls. The noise gets louder as time goes by, building to a crescendo until finally a tremendous crack seems to rip the heavens apart! The moon and stars fall, replaced by a swirl of impossible colors and shapes. You gape in shock, but only for a few seconds before a wave of force and heat incinerates you.
The End

{{{35}}}

You deftly pick the lock and push the doors open, but again they creak loudly. You slip into the church and find the main hall deserted. There is a side door on the left and another at the back, behind the altar.
If you want to try the side door, go to 36. If you want to try the rear door, go to 38.

{{{36}}}

The door opens up into a closet. White hooded robes hang from rails on either side.
If you want to put on a robe, go to 37. If you want to leave them and try the rear door, go to 38.

{{{37}}}

You slip a robe on and cover your face with the hood. Just as you return to the hall, Bowen enters from the door at the back with his hood lowered.
“You’re early, Ephraim,” says Bowen. “I have interesting news. It seems the Necronomicon has been stolen from the university. It would have been too difficult for us to steal it there, but now is the perfect opportunity. That confounded Reverend Smalls must have taken it. Get to the South Church quickly and retrieve it.” Without waiting for a response, he goes back through the door.
You return the robe to its place and leave hastily before the real Ephraim shows up. Bowen is up to no good, but he does not have the book. You hop in your car and race to the South Church, hoping to get there before it’s too late.
Go to 31.

{{{38}}}

You open the door and bump straight into Bowen. He pulls a long, serrated knife from the folds of his robes and rushes you. Hastily you whip out your revolver and open fire. Your bullets hit, yet Bowen does not even seem to flinch. Before you have time to wonder about this, he plunges the cold steel blade into your heart.
The End

{{{39}}}

An obsidian altar stands in a clearing on a low hill in the woods with a circle of black candles surrounding it. Reverend Smalls stands behind it wearing a black robe, and on the altar itself a large, black, leather-bound book that matches the description of the Necronomicon lies open. Smalls is chanting aloud from the book. Most of the words are incomprehensible, but you can make out “Ia! Ia! Azathoth!” He raises his arms to heaven, and in one hand he grips a long, golden-hilted dagger. You hear a distant rumbling sound like thunder, and your hair stands on end.
Smalls looks up as you approach. “You’re too late, Detective!” he calls over the growing noise.
“I’d say I’m just in time,” you answer, closing the distance and keeping him talking. “How did you get into the library to steal the book?”
“I didn’t. I summoned a creature and sent it instead. Locked doors are no obstacle to those who go between.”
“I can’t let you destroy the Necronomicon.”
He chuckles dryly. “I was never going to destroy it. But it will be destroyed. Everything will be destroyed. The stars are right, and the end is nigh.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Mankind is sinful and must perish as he did in the Great Flood. The earth must be swept clean and purified. Evil abounds and grows stronger. The horrors of the Great War are proof enough of man’s depravity, and if he is not stopped there will be greater wars with deadlier weapons. I call forth Azathoth to cleanse Creation of man’s iniquity. All I need do is sacrifice a pure soul.”
“You messed up, Reverend. You forgot to bring one.”
“That’s where you’re wrong!” He clutches the dagger in both hands just as you reach the altar.
If you want to draw your revolver and fire, go to 40. If you want to try to grab the dagger, go to 41. If you want to try to talk him down, go to 42. If you want to flee, go to 43.

{{{40}}}

In an instant your gun is in your hand. The bullets strike Smalls in the chest, and he falls onto the altar.
Go to 44.

{{{41}}}

You leap on Smalls, tackling him onto the altar and trying to pry the dagger from his iron grip. After a brief struggle, he breaks free and pulls back the dagger.
If you want to draw your revolver and fire, go to 40. If you want to flee, go to 43. If you want to attempt to seize the dagger again, go to 45. If you want to dodge aside, go to 46.

{{{42}}}

“My soul isn’t as pure as you think,” you say.
Smalls laughs again. “I wasn’t referring to you,” he retorts. “You really thought I lured you here to murder you?” He raises the dagger overhead, pointing it at his own chest.
If you want to try to grab the dagger, go to 41. If you want to keep trying to talk him out of it, go to 47.

{{{43}}}

You run, but you hear no pursuit. Glancing back, you see Smalls lying on the altar, the dagger in his heart.
Go to 44.

{{{44}}}

“The sacrifice…is…complete…” gasps Smalls as his life drains out of him onto the altar. The noise builds to a crescendo, and a tremendous crack seems to rip the heavens apart! The moon and stars fall, replaced by a swirl of impossible colors and shapes. You gape in shock, but only for a few seconds before a wave of force and heat incinerates you.
The End

{{{45}}}

This time you wrest the dagger away from Smalls.
Go to 48.

{{{46}}}

You roll aside, but Smalls does not attack you. Instead he plunges the dagger into his own heart.
Go to 44.

{{{47}}}

“What about ‘Thou shalt not steal?’” you ask, pointing at the book. Smalls pauses, the blade inches from his breast. “Your soul won’t be an acceptable sacrifice either.”
He releases the dagger, and it clatters on the altar.
Go to 48.

{{{48}}}

Smalls collapses, weeping. “I’m so sorry,” he sobs. “God, what have I done? I should never have read those infernal books.”
You confiscate the dagger and the Necronomicon. The rumbling sound fades until it is gone. “I don’t know what kind of madness came over you, but there are people who can help you back at the Arkham Sanitarium.”
Smalls nods and meekly goes along with you back to your car. “I hated the world so much. The War took my son, and influenza took my wife. I’ve been losing my faith ever since.”
“Remember, God loves the world. He loved it so much he sent his only begotten Son to save it.”
“You’re right, Detective. Out of the mouths of babes. And to think I came within a hair’s breadth of ending it all.”
During the drive back to Arkham, you wonder how a man could be broken as badly as Stuart Smalls was. He truly thought he was going to destroy the world. Fortunately, that sort of thing is impossible.
Isn’t it?
The End

Return to “Entrants to the 2008 Contest”