OOC talk : Horror on the Orient Express

"Investigators embark upon the legendary Orient Express to enjoy what they hope will be a romantic and luxurious journey over Europe. But the trip gradually turns into a nightmare, as evil lurks hiding somewhere..."

Moderator: G-Returner

Exarzun
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: OOC talk : Horror on the Orient Express

Post by Exarzun »

Ok, I can wait :)
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by zielonobrody »

got room for players? I always wanted to play Horror. I'll be regular if the game will be medium paced.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by G-Returner »

Sorry mate, the game is currently full.

I'll keep you on the waiting list in case somebody leaves.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Exarzun/Salik has pulled out as the game is going too fast for him.

I'm going to message the people on the waiting list (in the order in which they expressed interest) to find a replacement, but meanwhile, let the game go on.

Happy 2009 to all :)
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by Tangerine »

I've volunteered to play the ponderous Salik - hopefully I won't kill his personality too much as I'm not too sure where Exarzun was going with him.

I posted just then, and only saw that George had an IC topic at Scotland yard, so I presume the answer to Salik's question was yes :S
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Here is the information digged up by Salik concerning the Orient Express. I'm posting it as Off Topic since a lot of it is background info, and also to avoid disrupting the storyline.

The famous train line, whose name has become a byword for luxury in travel, was created in the late 19th century by a Belgian engineer, Georges Nagelmackers. Back at a time when luxury was not a word that leapt to the tongues of European train travelers, Nagelmackers decided to construct a comfortable and luxurious train comprising a dining car, saloons, sleeping cars... a palatial hotel on wheels compared to what train journeys were like at the time.

The initial route passed through middle Europe: Strasbourg, Munich, Vienna and on to Bucharest. In 1889, the completion of a linking track allowed the Orient Express service across Europe into Turkey, the gate of the Orient, and to its capital, Constantinople. The service survived into the new century, braving even an outbreak of cholera in Turkey, when tickets had to be displayed for inspection in a white metal box filled with vinegar.

In its early days, passengers of the Orient Express were exclusively the fashionable elite: heiresses and decayed nobles, high-powered gangsters and millionaire philanthropists, sometimes even royalty. Second-class carriages were introduced in the early 1920s, allowing the middle-upper class to join in. Orient Express dining services are perceived as the equivalent of first class restaurants, with the same kind of impeccable formal service. The Orient Express staff is the finest in the world.

In order to board the Orient Express from London, the company tickets allow passengers to take first a regular train to Dover, then a boat to Calais in France. They can then board the Orient Express coaches taking them to Paris and then to the rest of the trip. In every city where a stop is made, there is an Orient Express service every day at the same hour (but the hour obviously depends on the location)*.

The service goes through France, Switzerland, Italy, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece and finally Turkey. It makes stops in all the most popular cities for travellers along the way. Information about the cities in which the train stops is readily available for travellers if you need to know something in particular.

There are many anecdotes to be found about the Orient Express, such as the time bandits once attacked the train in Bulgaria, or the time the train was stopped for several days in the Balkan mountains because of the snow. The Simplon tunnel, connecting Switzerland and Italy for the train passengers, is (in 1923) the longest tunnel in the world, at over 20 kilometers in length. 65 people died during its construction.

* In reality, there was a service about three times a week, although to avoid making the game needlessly more complicated, we are considering that in the game's universe there is a service every day.
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

You would not believe the amount of librarian fingers I had to snap to get that info! - Salik.

:P
"The whole world is crazy except thee and me, though sometimes I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine (dec.)
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Additionally, here is the map of the journey. As you can see, there are different routes. The "Simplon Orient Express" route (the unconnected + + + line) is the one Prof.Smith recommended as it stops in all the places he advised you to look up.

G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Normski had to go on a business trip for a few days so I will be NPCing George until he gets back.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

While Frank is packing his luggage, it's time for me to give you a "raise", as your characters have learnt from their experiences in London :)

The raises are as follow and have been added to your character sheets:

Salik :
Credit Rating +10
Library Use +3

Howard :
First Aid +2
Sneak +7
Spot Hidden +2

Luigi :
Credit Rating +4
Library Use +3
Persuade +2

Frank :
Fast Talk +3

Herb :
Credit Rating +5
Library Use +2

George :
Library Use +3
Tangerine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Tangerine »

Huzzah! I cunningly instigated the world's first credit card - "The Skinless One will not be denied... His Credit Application! Talk to a Salik Credit agent today!"
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Since we've had no news from Wayno and have no clue when he will get internet access again, I'm going to move things along and NPC him until he comes back.
normski
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by normski »

Sorry people for the unannounced departure of myself from this game. My computer gave up the ghost and is no more. I am actively seeking a replacement gfx card, but may well need a motherboard as well. I'll know Tuesday when I get it back.

Either way I'll be offline for a few days more, maybe till the end of the month (payday). If you could see your way to npc-ing George for a short while. I will be back as soon as I can. if I can borrow this lappie off my mate for a while .... but he say no!

Be back as soon as I can.

Norm
Take Care,

Normski
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

No probs normski, I'll NPC you until then. We had a few unwilling breaks ourselves with the forum going offline now and then. Hopefully that's over :)

About Wayno: I'm going to wait a little more since he was a regular and dedicated player when he was on, but it's soon going to be a month since he last logged in and I have no idea when/if he will be back. If he remains MIA I'm going to let someone else play Frank.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Wayno has not come back so I have looked for a replacement.

Tabs will play Frank from now on.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Hello all. It will take me a few turns to get up to speed with the game, I'm looking forward to getting onboard.
Mr.Green
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mr.Green »

Welcome Tabs. So long as you keep your skin on, it'll be good.
:Mr.Green
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Howerd Phillips »

Tabs, you better get to work. We're out to save the world you know.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

A heavy load, but someone has to do it! Tabs hopes Frank will bear up.

BTW Frank is in the library still, isn't he?
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Yes. But his research will be over soon :)

Return to “Horror On The Orient Express”