First Time Keeper - The Haunting

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

First Time Keeper - The Haunting

Post by OathinBlood »

I've haven't been playing CoC long, but I'm a long-time fan of all things Lovecraftian, and I think I'd prefer to be a Keeper instead of a player. I just ordered the 6th Edition rulebook off Ebay, but while it comes (it'll take a couple weeks) I'd like to practice Keeper-ing with the Quick Start Rules and the scenario it gives, "the Haunting". Is there any interest in this?

P.S. - This month is a busy month for me, and I'm not sure I'll have the time to reply everyday, but I'll be really active over the weekends, at least until May - come then, I'll be able to update daily.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Re: First Time Keeper - The Haunting

Post by OathinBlood »

No interest whatsoever?
EldritchSnorer
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by EldritchSnorer »

I'm new to the forums and haven't played in a couple of years, but yeah, I'll play. Do you have any requirements for character creation?
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

No, not really, and thanks for joining. I want at least two more people before we start.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

I've waited two days, and no attention at all? Is it because you've all pretty much played 'the Haunting', and aren't interested in replaying it, or what?
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Okay - how about another one-shot scenario? Any interest now?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Actually, I would be interested in playing The Haunting, the only problem is that I'm not sure if I'll have time. In addition to everything else I'm doing, I'm in two others game here, and while one of them is on hold, the other is going to start soon.

I've also been exposed to mild spoilers about The Haunting, though I've never read or played it. If I do end up playing I'll try to act surprised when something comes up that I've heard mentioned. ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Great, because I really want to host a game before the rulebook arrives, so I can understand it in a better context. PM me later if you find that you do or don't have time to do this.

With you, I only need one more person, though if no one else is interested by next week, I'll start with only you two, if that's alright.

As for acting surprised, I can just switch around minor details, What floor, what room, change minor things that will keep the feel of the game but surprise you more than the original stuff.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't actually know where stuff is (other than obvious things like the bed being in the bedroom) or details, it's mostly general things I've heard.

In order to determine whether or not I'll have time, I'll need to know how often we'll be expected to post. During the week I'm only able to be online in the evenings, and I don't usually have much time then. On weekends I'm usually free all day and can find some time to post. If this game is paced like, say Masks of Nyarlathotep, there's no way I can keep up. If it moves like Carcosa Rising, I don't think I'll have a problem.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Well, I'll only be able to post on weekends until May, so I think you'll have the time.

Since this seems to have a complete lack of any interest besides you too, do you mind if we start soon? I just need verification from you two that you still want to play, then I'll start it, say, next weekend or perhaps sometime during this week? Thanks.
EldritchSnorer
Layman
Layman

Post by EldritchSnorer »

I'm definately still interested in playing. I'll roll up my character and post him later this week. He'll probably just be a private investigator for simplicity's sake.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Sure. This is a one-shot, so you can make your character relatively simplistic, unless you plan on using him later, again. But beware, since this is a one-shot, your characters will have a higher fatality rate than in a campaign.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, I'm in! :) I'll roll up my character during the week, probably Monday night. Do I just use the Quick Start character creation rules, or the full rules? My character will probably be a student.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Well, until my book comes in, I'm running off of the Quick-Start rules, so you should probably too. Sorry I forgot to mention that, I didn't think there was much of a difference.

Anyone know where I should host it? I don't think it deserves it's own forum...hmm, I'll PM carnage_lee.
Zombiedla
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Zombiedla »

Is it to late to join? I would really like to play the haunting. The only problem is that I have played it with me as keeper - So I know all there is to know. Although, the haunting is pretty open for improvisation and adding of new content. If it's ok with you, I would still like to join. I won't spoil anything for the other players and I'll don't try to push them or help them with clues or anything. I just think that the haunting is such a nice little scenario that I would definitely like to play as a player :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I can't speak for OathInBlood, but I don't think there'll be a problem, especially since we want at least three players.

There are some important differences in Quick Start character creation. For example, some of the optional rules are absent, and you only get EDU x 15 occupational skill points instead of EDU x 20.

Anyway, here are my character creation rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=980368
I swapped SIZ with INT and also swapped around the various stats rolled on 3d6. Here's my character sheet:

Name: Juliet Allan
Sex: Female
Current residence: Cambridge, MA

Characteristics:
STR: 7
CON: 8
SIZ: 10
DEX: 12
APP: 11
INT: 14 (Idea 70)
POW: 13 (Luck 65)
EDU: 12 (Know 60)

Sanity: 65
phobias/mental disorders: none
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 9
Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: +0

Appearance and Personality: Juliet is a petite, somewhat attractive young lady with short, straight black hair and perceptive eyes. She tends to be very serious and studious, though she is also outgoing and friendly. She loves to explore the unknown, but she is very skeptical when it comes to the supernatural. Juliet is fearless, though she has not yet encountered anything to truly be afraid of.

Background: Juliet comes from a middle-class family in Wilmington, Delaware. Growing up she was something of a tomboy, and when many girls her age were trying to attract boys, she spent a lot of time studying and most of her free time playing outdoors, running around, and getting dirty. This actually did attract some boys who were interested in the same sort of activities, though she remained "just friends" with them and has never been out on a date.

Juliet is currently a freshman at Radcliffe and lives in the dorms there. Unlike some of her fellow students who are primarily interested in finding husbands at Harvard, Juliet is there mainly to learn. She has not yet decided what she wants to do or chosen a major, but she is leaning towards becoming a scientist like her father.

Family members: Juliet has three brothers: Thomas (21), David (19), and Charles (16). They were very close growing up and often played together, so it should come as no surprise that Juliet is rather athletic. Their parents are Peter (46), a research chemist working for DuPont, and Catherine (42), a housewife.

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT)
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%): 20%
.Climb (40%): 60%
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 25%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX x 2): 49%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
.Jump (25%): 40%
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%): 65%
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machinery (01%):
Other Language: Latin (01%): 25%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 60%
Persuade (15%): 55%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%): 20%
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 33%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 65%
.Swim (25%): 40%
.Throw (25%): 50%
Track (10%):

Hand-to-hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Knife (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment: Notebook, pencils, small knife
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Great Mr. Handy, and of course you can join Zombiedla, the game won't start until next Friday. You should have your character sheets in then, using the Quick-Start Rules. Thanks, guys.
Zombiedla
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Zombiedla »

Here's my character

Name: Paul Sapsford
Sex: Male
Birtplace: Arkham

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=981563 I kept those stats except swapping CON for APP.

Characteristics:
STR: 7
CON: 3
SIZ: 16
DEX: 8
APP: 16
INT: 16 (Idea 80)
POW: 15 (Luck 75)
EDU: 17 (Know 85)

Damage Bonus: None
Magic Points: 15
Hit Points: 10
Sanity Points: 75

Skills (occupational skills in bold):
Archaeology: 31
Bargain: 35
Dodge: 16
Fast Talk: 45
First Aid: 60
Geology: 21
History: 40
Library Use: 55
Natural History: 30
Occult: 65

Other Language - German: 31
- Latin: 46

Own Language - English: 85
Persuade: 45
Photography: 20
Spot Hidden: 45

Personality and Appearance:
Paul has a very tall, slight and fragile looking build yet his face has a youthful beauty to it.
His hair is short and dark and his clean shaven face is adorned with
crystal blue eyes. He is quite charming and easy to talk too although he usally keeps quiet unless spoken to.
He has an almost fanatical interest in the occult and is eager to talk about the subject with fellow peers. Due to a cronic metabolic bone disease Paul's bones are very brittle.

Background:
Born and raised in Arkham, Paul's interest for the occult came early as he had a certain fascination for strange fairy tales
which his father used to tell him. Paul's parents was eager to tutor him during his childhood as they both wanted him to "do well in life". He currently studies at the Miskatonic University.

Family:
Paul is the only child of August (age 49) and Marla (age 44) Sapsford. August works at Miskatonic U. as a professor in Litterature and
Marla is a successful writer.

Sorry about the sparse background. Since this is a one-shot I kept it short

EDIT: Added a pic :)
Last edited by Zombiedla on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Good luck with this everyone :) I think that there will be quite a bit of interest to see how this pans out :shock: It's such a classic scenario and to many players (and Keepers) it's their first taste of playing Call of Cthulhu, so this is bound stir peoples memories 8)
EldritchSnorer
Layman
Layman

Post by EldritchSnorer »

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=980804

Name: Stan Burke
Sex: Male
Birthplace: Boston, MA

Characteristics:
STR: 8
CON: 9
SIZ: 14
DEX: 12
APP: 15
INT: 16 (Idea 80)
POW: 14 (Luck 70)
EDU: 15 (Know 75)

Damage Bonus: None
Magic Points: 14
Hit Points: 12
Sanity Points: 70

Skills (occupational skills in bold):
Biology: 45%
Chemistry: 54%
Credit Rating: 20%
Dodge: 24%
Drive Auto: 41%
Fast Talk: 48%
First Aid: 68%
Library Use: 44%
Medicine: 36%
Other Language: Latin: 14%
Own Language: English: 75%
Persuade: 65%
Pharmacy: 26%
Physics: 33%
Psychology: 16%

Biography:
Stan Burke is the son of a wealthy Boston surgeon and is only attending medical school under threat of being disowned otherwise. Despite spending more time sneaking in and out of the women's dorms than studying in the library, he managed to graduate in the top 10% of his class. In addition to beginning his graduate work at Miskatonic Medical School this semester, Stan will also be teaching introductory chemistry at MU.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”