Well of Sacrifice (IC)

The Yucatan has long been at best a marginally explored region of Latin America. As one of the great centers of the ancient Mayan culture, it holds many secrets long sought after by historians and archaeologists from around the world. The investigators are a small group of explorers whose mission is to seek out and survey sites for ruined cities and towns on the peninsula. A long lost piece of information leads the group into a dark corner of the Yucatan. What will they find and can they survive the Well of Sacrifice?

Moderator: Quatermass

Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Well of Sacrifice (IC)

Post by Quatermass »

Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Early June, 1918

A mule drawn trolley clatters past the open windows of the Restaurante Colonial on Federal Square. At a large table inside, dirty dishes are being picked up by a young black haired woman in a long white dress. The occupants of the table pause from their discussion as she does so. They are a small team of experts funded by the Carnegie Institute of Washington to survey archaeological sites in Mexico, the Yucatan to be precise. They have already spent several months surveying major cites including Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Now they are in Merida, Yucatan, resting up and researching their next move. The libraries and bookstores of Merida are often sources of information not widely available outside the Yucatan.

The team consists of archeologists; David Johnson, Anna Vesse Dahl, Percy Richmont, photographer Mitch Cooper, and guide Quinn Villavicencio. They liked to hang out here as the beers where cold, the food was good, and large ceiling fans keep the open air restaurant relatively cool in the hot Mexican summer. They were discussing Dr. Johnson's latest find, the crudely bound notes of a mid-nineteen century explorer named Donald Stillbridge. Johnson had found them in a box in a storage room at the Archaeology Library. The notes are on coarse paper with a string binding The front and back covers are each composed of two sheets of heavier paper that are glued together. The contents are written in hand and with black ink. Throughout Stillbridge employed short, incomplete sentences that efficiently convey information and ideas. Reading the notes you can tell that Stillbridge was well traveled. He visited most major Mayan sties and many minor ones. He is obviously well versied in native customs and culture and was fluent in English, Spanish, French, and Yucatec. Of the many sites mentioned in the book, one catches your interest.

The site is Xamanik and according to the notes and crude diagrams, is located in Quintanna Roo near the coast across from the stretch of water between the Yucatan shoreline and the island of Cozumel. Once a thriving town and later a religious site, the ruins are now a collection of overgrown mounds and tumbled stones. Near the center is a large, overgrown centoe that, not doubt, was the primary water supply for the community. Stillbridge also documented the presence of a large "caracol" or astronomical observatory. Long abandoned even before the Spanish came the site remains essentially undisturbed. Stillbridge reports stelae and monuments bearing crisp clear Mayan writing, scores of relics and artifacts and much more. Furthermore, he briefly interviewed Mayans living in the region and all said that they avoided the area because it was 'bad lands' and 'haunted". Stillbridge's time there was short. He spent only two day's there from July 8th and 9th, 1889.

Stillbridge never excavated there. He drew a rough map of the site and copied a few writings, but that was the extent of it. The journal goes on the describe a assortment of other sites and the ends abruptly and without explanation. The last date is September 10, 1889 at the town of Muna.
The Ruins of Xamanik
The Ruins of Xamanik
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Well of Sacrifice (IC)

Post by Tabs »

"It is said," comments Anna Vesse Dahl, "that the Mayans threw offerings, gold and suchlike, into cenotes. How I'd like to swim in its blue waters. We should go to Xaminik"--Anna looks from one to the other, Percy, Mitch and Quinn--"what do you think, Professor Johnson?"
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Absolutely!" says David Johnson, his excitement mounting. "We need to organize an expedition to Xaminik. We need to make all of the necessary preparations first, of course. As much as I want to see it, we can't go in unprepared. The site has been there all these years, so I doubt a small delay will hurt. The locals avoid it, so they shouldn't disturb it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"May I?" asks Anna, desiring a close look at Stillbridge's notes and their binding, especially the glued together cover.
ooc,Spot Hidden 60% [dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Tabs on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Quatermass »

Anna looks over the notes and inspects the glued pieces of paper that make up the covers.
Anna,There does not appear to be anything in between the sheets and she cannot detect any writing on the glued inner sides of the papers. Though she would have to try to pry them apart to be sure.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

"Yeah the idea of swimming in a lake filled with gold is quite appealing" Mitch moves to where Anna is peering at at the cover of the book. "See anything of note, doll?"
Last edited by Priest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Anna glances at the others when Mitch says "doll." "Hmmm," she murmurs, twisting the notes round and peering at them closely. "I'm afraid not, Mr. Cooper."
Last edited by Tabs on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I believe you meant to say Miss Dahl, Mr. Cooper," says David. "Let's try to be respectful. I think we should start by doing some preliminary research on Mr. Stillbridge's 1889 expedition and find anything more we can about Xamanik. We'll need to visit Mani and find out if anyone remembers his visit there, though it was nearly thirty years ago. I hope we can discover where he went from there and anything he may have reported about the site. Ideally, I'd like to talk to the man himself, if he's still alive and we can locate him. Even if he's far away, we can always send a telegram."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Mitch shrugs, pushes his hat back on his head and gives a chagrin smile, "Sure thing Prof. Didn't mean no disrespect Miss Dahl"
- Anais Nin
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

I agreed that we must have some caution. But even if there is no gold, at least we may find more exemples of the writing to help to decifer it.- says Percy also happy.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, Mr. Richmont," says Anna to Percy, "let's take another look at the Archaeology Library where the Professor found the notes. And browsing Merida's bookstores would be fun." She realises afterwards that Percy was probably referring to the Mayan writing on the monuments.
Last edited by Tabs on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I agree, more research is in order," says David. "When we do eventually go to Xamanik, I may be able to decipher the writing myself. I've studied Mayan hieroglyphics."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"What you said, Professor, about trying to locate Stillbridge is a good start," says Anna. "Maybe send a telegram to Brown University to enquire?"
Last edited by Tabs on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Quinto, explorer

Quinn looks at the notebook after Anna and wonders.

"Rodrigo!" he calls out to the waiter he knows. "Wheel out a boiling steaming pot of water!"

The explorer tries to steam off the paper on the cover.

"I'll ask around my guide contacts to see if any know Stillbridge or his wherabouts."
Spoiler:
OOC:   Sorry I've been traveling and didn't realize the IC thread launched.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Excellent ideas, both of you," says David. "While you're doing that, I'll continue my research in the library."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Right," she says decidedly, "I'll go find a post office or someplace to send a telegram; also, I'll ask my Prof. Ackland at Boston University about Stillbridge. Afterwards there's the bookstores: shops need to be browsed, you know!"

"Good idea, Mr. Villavicencio, but there's nothing written between those glued sheets."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Once the meeting is over, David heads to the library to begin his research on Xamanik and on Stillbridge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Anna Dahl walks beside Mitch Cooper, heading for the post office in order to send two telegrams with an enquiry about Stillbridge: one to Prof. Johnson's Brown University and the other to Prof. Ackland of Boston University--where she studied for her degree.

"So you're our expedition photographer," she says, indicating the camera dangling from his neck, "do you wish to take snaps of me, Mr. Cooper?" She laughs. "Now, do I smile and look at the lens or do I pretend you're not there?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Percy will go to the library to read anything abouth the area.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"That depends Miss Dahl whether it's for the official record or just holiday snaps" he grins, in a goofy sort of college boy way, "I guess when the Prof is about we'd best keep it totaly professional"

Jogging to get in front of her he opens the camera and points it at her, "Watch the birdie"
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Well of Sacrifice”