Off Topic Comms

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet." - Stephen Hawking

The reach of the Great Old Ones stretches out into the stars; far-future Cthulhu with the crew of the Pioneer Ship Searchlight.

Moderator: Lex_Innokenti

Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Off Topic Comms

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Chat about things here, out of character, and do feel free to lambast me if I do anything particularly evil. ;)
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Off Topic Comms

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Just thought I'd ask you guys what you're expecting from this game, and if there's anything you'd like to know about how I intend to be running this thing?

Being as you're both keepers, it'd seem silly of me not to get a little bit of a feel for my players before we get going. Also, is there anything you find particularly offensive and would rather I steered clear of (I wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities by putting themes or situations within the game that might make anyone uncomfortable).

By the way - As a Keeper I tend to play a little loosely with the rules if it'll benefit the story being told; for example, if you do something incredibly stupid that should get you killed, it probably will - but doing something in-character that makes sense and doesn't suspend disbelief (such as suspension of disbelief exists in a Cosmic Horror game set light years from Earth aboard a futuristic spaceship) isn't going to get you unfairly or arbitrarily punished based on one unlucky die roll. I'm not a fan of the whole '2nd Edition D&D "Kill 'Em All" ' adversarial style. Just thought I'd warn you of that off the bat, so if your "The Keeper is cheating" sense starts tingling... you're probably right. Playing with other Keepers as players is actually going to be a slightly new experience for me, hahaha!

So anything you want to ask me before we get this show on the road?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't know exactly what to expect, but that's a good thing, as it preserves the mystery. I am expecting it to be mostly serious, though there may be some lighthearted moments. Comedy can work well too in this sort of setting, as I had a wonderful time playing Dr. Zoidberg in a Futurama/CoC game at a convention earlier this year, but I don't think that's what this is.

My style as Keeper is to stick with the rules as written as much as possible and to let the dice fall where they may. I never fudge dice rolls, and I've found that worked for the best. The random element often takes the story in a different and unexpected direction, but one which improves it. In spite of this, PC deaths are fairly rare in my games (except for Zombie Apocalypse, though even that petered out in recent chapters). When they do die, it's a result of the natural consequences of their actions (whether stupid, brave, or otherwise) and the unfolding events. They don't die as a result of a single dice roll with no other factors. In one case (The Ninth Planet, another futuristic science fiction adventure), having a PC die near the end also helped the story, and something far worse happened to him - he ended up in a Mi-Go brain cylinder. It was fun for both of us to have the realization gradually dawn on him, and then to have the Mi-Go reveal to him their scheme to conquer the Earth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Should be fairly interesting to see how things progress, then, given our differing keeper style. Like I said, whilst I'll mitigate the impact of a single unlucky roll (or string of rolls) and prevent them completely derailing the story, I won't protect characters in a situation that would warrant certain death as the only logical outcome of their actions, or shoe-horn in stupid deus ex machina either.

I'm British, so a cynical, black-as-pitch layer of comedy usually exists in anything we touch anyway, but yes - this is very much Hard, semi-dystopic Sci-fi and as such is going to be pretty serious (and fairly graphic) in tone. Beyond that... I won't ruin it by telling you much more. After all, you're investigating the mysterious disappearance of a city-sized ship full of people. Wouldn't do to drop hints. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I love British entertainment and especially British humor (or rather, humour ;) ). I know it won't be as wacky as Red Dwarf, but a bit of dark comedy does sound like it fits.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

I wouldn't get your hopes up that Dwayne Dibley's going to be making any cameo appearances, Handy. :P

Equipment lists are almost there. Standard-issue shipsuit information's just been put up.

Does anyone have any requests regarding specific equipment they'd want details on before we begin?
Nero
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Nero »

Is there spots still open for this?
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

There certainly are! Take a look at the Character Creation Station and absolutely feel free to roll up a character!
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Sorry about my absence! I was holed up in a studio recording my new single (I say 'my', it's more 'our').

Normal service shall now resume!
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

We seem to have a curious lack of players at the moment (my fault, owing to my week-long absence). I'll PM the two who aren't Mr. Handy and see if we can get things moving again, so no update til friday for now. If we have dropped to just you, Handy, then we'll carry on regardless and hope some other people get interested fairly quickly (I'll take over Tormsen's character as an NPC in that case). If you like, we can skip all this preliminary stuff if we are down to you flying solo and get the Magellan asap. Thoughts?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd rather not skip any part of the story.

You may want to post in the recruitment boards to try to find some new players to either take over an abandoned character or create a new one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Alright. I suppose it gives me time to write up detailed backstories for the other crewmembers anyway.

Bit of a pain, really, but if you have to fly solo for a bit, you'll fly solo for a bit I guess!
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Space for me? I think I put my hand up and then promptly got distracted for a bit. This adventure sounds cool.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

There certainly is, Laraqua! There's still half the crew as yet unmentioned, so feel free to make yourself a new character using the Character Creation Station.

Once you're ready, you can start posting in Chapter 1. :)
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Given that I've not heard a peep from Laraqua since his post a week ago, likewise Tormsen in the game thread itself, I'll give Tormsen at least til midnight tonight (GMT) and roll his sanity check myself. If he comes back, all to the good but I'll take over Pierre for the time being as a DMPC in order to get things flowing a little less erratically.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I peeped, by the way. About the same time as that post (which I only just read now). Just waiting on a character sheet and then I'm onboard!

If you haven't made me anything yet, you could make me a scientific adviser rather than a straight up engineer if that would work better. Happy to patch any holes!

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

Your character will be up and ready to use tonight, Laraqua. Been a bit of an insane weekend what with a single launch and everything so I spent yesterday mostly sleeping and feeling like I was going to die, hahaha.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Single launch?

Lex_Innokenti
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lex_Innokenti »

I'm in a band - our new single came out this monday, and we had a gig on Saturday. The combination of the two events resulted in me spending most of sunday and monday feeling very sorry for myself. :P

You'll be ready to go tonight, Laraqua. Sorry about the delay everyone!
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Wow, what kind of band?

Return to “In the Silence Between Stars”