Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Post by Priest »

Act One: ‘So it begins’
Scene 1 'Celebrations'
The sound of silverware ringing against a fine, crystal glass comes through the speakers.
“Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, but your attention please just for a moment.”
After several seconds, the noise begins to die down as the speaker taps the crystal a few more times. “Please,” he continues with a smile, “this will take only a moment.”
The ballroom grows quite as all eyes turn towards him on the second floor balcony. He’s a tall man, with perfectly combed black hair, blue eyes, and a strong jaw. Everyone immediately recognizes him as Howard Forthington, the owner of the Pinnacle.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of myself, Captain Romero, and his crew . . . I welcome you to the maiden voyage of the Pinnacle!” As he raises his glass, cheers fill the room. “While the hundreds of men and women that serve aboard this vessel have but one goal: to make your dreams come true, I’ve ever had but a single dream. A dream to create the most state-of-the-art pleasure ship, open to passengers of all financial backgrounds, that would provide happiness and entertainment like that found on no other! And thanks to you, that dream has come true!” He once again raises his glass. “To the Pinnacle! And more importantly, to all of you!”

And so the first day of the maiden voyage of the cruise ship Pinnacle begins to end in a sumptuous first night party to which you had been lucky enough to be invited. Invited by no less a personage than Howard Forthington, multi millionaire, entrepreneur and owner of this ship, himself

So far the opening hours of the cruise had been like any other. Cabins had been settled into, bags had been unpacked, safety drills had been carried out so that every passenger knew how to act in the event of an unlikely disaster.
The ensuing hours had been filled with exploration of the many delights of the ship from the restaurants to the gaming floors. It seemed that every detail had been taken care of from entertainments for the adult gambling enthusiast, to the passenger who wanted little more than to pass their time in sheer indolence waited on hand and foot, to the energetic younger passenger who wasted little time in checking out the climbing wall, the surf pool, or the zip wire ride that hung ominously above the main deck area.

But now it was time for good food, drinks and tuxedos at the special ‘First Night’ party to which a small selection of passengers had been invited via a ticket lottery. A chance for those with young children to relax in the knowledge that their offspring are being well cared for by the ‘sitting’ service the ship provides.
Amongst those passengers you now find yourselves being wined and dined in first-class splendour amongst the glamour and glitz of surroundings that would not be out of place amongst the best of Vegas. In settings of ten per table you estimate that their must be close to five hundred guests in attendance. Amongst these a large number of smartly dressed young men and women carrying trays laden with glasses move about in a constant stream of activity while the ships band play a version of the classic hit, ‘Luck be a lady tonight’…

As you take stock of your fellow table mates, a red faced gentleman in a tailored, western style dinner jacket, a boot lace tie with a silver rattlesnake clasp, and medium length grey hair carefully swept back in a well kept style reminiscent of the late 1950s, leans across the table to offer his hand in a firm handshake to the person opposite.
“First time cruising?” he asks in a low Texas drawl, “Me and the little lady”, he indicates a voluptuous, bejewelled and expensively dressed female to his left, “Like to cruise at least twice a year”. In a seemingly unending barrage of unsolicited information, he proceeds to give chapter and verse of his history. From his lowly birth on a Texas farm that was little more than a weed infested dirt patch to his eventual position of owner of one of the largest ranches in the Austin area, several highly productive oil wells, and head of one, if not the biggest, suppliers of Military Tech in the whole United States. Interspaced throughout with Texan homilies, which you are assured came direct from the mouth of his ‘grandpappy’, all of which tells you that he is Billy J Haynes of Austin, Texas on this cruise with his wife Jodie May who seems to hang adoringly on his every word.

OOC: Remember you do not know each other (unless specified in you background) and have been assigned to this table randomly by the ticket lottery. Now is your chance to introduce yourselves, describe your appearance and note any possessions currently on your person as opposed to what may be within your cabin. Remember you are at a dinner party, so be circumspect in what you have on you.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Chapter One: ‘And the dead shall walk the earth’

Post by Garrett »

Ricky offers a small nod at the Texan's question before returning his attention to his food, not even pretending to listen to the man's words. He wears a browns sports jacket over a clean, black t-shirt. Other then that he's only wearing a pair of jeans and black sneakers. His skin is fairly dark for a man of Hispanic origin, and he has short black hair that hangs loosely over his forehead. The only thing he has on him of interest is his multi-tool, safety tucked away in his pocket.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan Moore is drinks champagne as he listens to the Texan's ramblings, he is wearing a white tuxedo with a red kerchief in his breast pocket. When Haynes mentions his arms empire, Moore snorts derisively and empties his drink, motioning for a waiter to refill his glass.

"Have you ever seen your marvellous technology in action, Mr Haynes? Weren't you the guys that equipped our boys with those fascinating cluster mines?", he takes another drink from his glass and continues, "Have you ever held a child in your arms, bleeding to death from a blown off limb because it thought it had found a toy in the woods?"

He stops suddenly, caught in his own rant and smiles at the Texan's trophy wife.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head about it, Jodie May, this happened a long time before you were born."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ricky couldn't help releasing a chuckle at Moore's remark as he takes a large swig of his whiskey. He looks to see if the Texan offers any reply to this insult on his industry.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Pedro Rodriguez sits at the table, listening with interest. He has a medium brown complexion and a very athletic build, about six feet tall and 200 pounds. He wears a black suit and tie with matching shoes and a white dress shirt.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by Mr. Pear »

Luke Hoffman puts a piece of freshly cut off roast lamb meat in his mouth and leans back, amusedly overhearing the conversation. He has medium length black curly hair, combed to the right side. The left side of his hair is trimmed short. He has a full black beard. Behind his big black rimmed Ray Ban glasses there’s a distinctive scar running across his right eye. He’s wearing a very wide, loose, broken white cotton shirt and beige cotton trousers. On the table in front of him lies a Canon 5D Mark III camera with 50mm lens and detachable flashlight on top.
He leans forward and points his fork at mr. Moore.
“The man’s got a point.”
He swallows his meat and goes on, “Although in Africa you can still see it every day. Children running around with rifles. Both city and country dwellers massively killing one another. Civil and tribal wars are ripping the continent apart, and the introduction of fire arms hasn’t done the region any good.”
He takes a sip from his champagne as to consolidate his statement.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The Texan wipes perspiration from his forehead with a large red and white spotted handkerchief. "Y'all arent saying anything I haven't heard a thousand times before" again he wipes his forehead, "And my argument remains the same, if we didn't make and supply the commodities, someone else would, and probably someone with a looser morality than ours".
You can tell by the set of his jaw that he is ready to defend his version of the moral high ground come what may.

At Jonathan's comment Jodie May blushes slightly despite her obvious attempt to refuse to be drawn into a conversation you guess she's heard so many times before. That there is an age gap between the Texan millionaire and his 'trophy wife' is obvious you estimate that he is in his sixties while she can be little more than thirty.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Ricky dipped his head back and downed the rest of his drink, he was amused enough by the conversation he actually decided to add something. "The man's right, after all people will always find ways to kill one another. And the dumb ass kid should have known better to pick up a shiny metal object he found on the ground when he lives in a damn war zone. He says, turning to Moore and holding his hand up for another drink.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"A specious argument, but I appreciate your moral fibre and sense of self-sacrifice. However, I doubt if the countless people making each other's lives miserable are worth those dollars in your pocket. How many thousand men and women must suffer to make your life what it is? Beautiful though it may be.", he raises his glass in salute to Jodie May with a roguish smile.

Hearing Ricky's comment he turns to him.

"Were they but shiny metal objects, even those dumb ass kids as you put it, would know better than to pick them up. But they're not, they're painted in nice appealing colours, red, purple, yellow, and look like some toy, a ball or some such. I'd like to see you tell that kid not to play with ball."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

To the left of Mr Haynes a freckle faced blonde female dressed in a simple black dress set off with pearl necklace leans forward. “As a doctor I have to agree with the arguments of these gentlemen over the nature of weapons of war. However as the Military were largely responsible for my education and training I have to see things from their point of view.” She smiles at the Texan who is now flushing considerably and perspiring freely, “Are you okay Mr Haynes?”
Before he can reply his wife leans around him, “It’s probably nothing more than a touch of sea sickness, amplified by more than a few bourbons”
Billy Haynes snorts and holds up his empty glass to a passing steward, “Never have too many bourbons” He pushes up from his chair, pats his inside pocket, and produces a silver inlaid cigar case, “Havana’s, best thing to come out of Cuba. I’ll be stepping outside for a smoke if anyone cares to join me?”
Stepping away from the table the Texan begins making his way towards the doors to the outside deck.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Moore nods a friendly acknowledgment to the doctor and then smiles suddenly, glad to go for a smoke and not miss the discussion. He gets up, finishes his drink and addresses the table.

"My ladies, gentlemen, if you'll excuse me, I feel morally obliged to join Mr Haynes in his quest for fresh air."

With an even bigger smile, he pulls his cigar case from his pocket and approaches the sweating Texan.

"Allow me to soothe the agitation with some of the Caribbean's finest leaf."
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Too true." RIcky says in remark to the man comment on 'too many bourbons'. He leaves with the Texan as he picks up another drink, not one to pass up a free cigar of that quality. Besides he was finished with his food and didn't much care for the air in this fancy room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do not smoke," says Pedro, rising to his feet, "but I will join you, Mr. Haynes." He walks with the Texan towards the doors. "Havanas are quite excellent, but they are not the best thing to come out of Cuba. That would be my mother. I came out of Cuba too, along with my whole family. I'm Pedro Rodriguez, the new starting shortstop for the Miami Marlins. Those cigars are the one thing my grandfather misses about Cuba. He used to smoke them all the time, and he always complains that you just can't get a good cigar in America."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mr. Pear »

“I don’t smoke either,” says Luke Hoffman, “but the assembly of such great people at one table is an opportunity I cannot leave unused, if none of you mind.”
He gets up, grabs his camera from the table and swings the neck strap over his head.
“Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen.” He bows to the rest of the party that remained seated and proceeds outside while and adjusting some settings on his camera.
As soon as all are gathered outside, he positions himself as to get the best looking background in the shot.
“Please gentlemen, this will only take one moment, but it’s a moment I want to be able to show my grandchildren… And of course the fans of BBQ Magazine. We have a big number of readers in Texas, who are most likely fans of yours too, mr. Haynes, so smile for them.”
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC: At present you have all assembled outside on the deck, where Luke Hoffman is preparing to take a photograph for either publication or holiday snaps. You may post conversations between you and Billy Haynes, but before eight o'clock tonight (GMT) no forward action can take place.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The photograph is composed to Luke’s professional eye. The group close together for the picture, some smiling politely others a more ritualistic smile. “Hold it” Luke says preparing to activate the expensive camera, and at that moment Billy Haynes, who’s sweating has increased significantly as had the flush to his features, utters a strangulated gasp, almost of surprise, and collapses in a heap to the immaculately scrubbed deck.
It takes no medical skill to see that Billy Haynes is no longer breathing and his slightly parted lips have begun to take on a bluish cast. To the casual observer it appears that Billy Haynes has just had a heart attack.
- Anais Nin
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

"Oh shit, is he dead?" Ricky mutters out, slightly alarmed as he steps back to give the man some air. Hoping that someone here will have an idea what to do.
Mr. Pear
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mr. Pear »

Luke Hoffman had taken position to take the shot and focused on the party as Mr. Haynes falls over, so he intuitively presses the shutter before he hit the ground.
“Whaaaa… What just happened?” he startles, not yet fully sure of it. Even less sure about what to, he takes a step forward and then one back again. Still looking at the picture on the cameras LCD Screen, his widespread eyes looked even bigger than they usually do behind those black rimmed Ray Bans.
“I’ll go get someone!”
He rushes to the door, pushes it open with his shoulder to avoid damaging his camera and storms back inside to look around for the headwaiter or the nearest person in charge.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Pedro doesn't have any medical knowledge, but he knows someone who does and he can run extremely fast. He sprints back inside at top speed, heading for the table where he was sitting and the blonde woman in the black dress who had identified herself as a doctor. "Doctor, come quick!" he shouts. "Mr. Haynes need help! I think he's having a heart attack!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Jonathan Moore looked down at the prone Texan, and noted with approval that the two men dashed off to get help. After a moment to come to his senses, he clenched his cigar between his teeth and took of his jacket, kneeling down next to the Haynes and shoving it, folded up, under his head. With a quick movement he undid the man's tie and unbuttoned the top buttons of his shirt and then stepped back, looking at Ricky with a sly grin.

"Thus far the extent of my medical knowledge."

Return to “Archive”