Do you want another game? If so, what would you like?

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Do you want another game? If so, what would you like?

Post by coffee demon »

Hey everybody,

I think I spend the most time bumping around this site, hoping its time for me to post. I could probably use that time more productively - by Keeper-ing a game!

I've DM'ed/ref'ed many RPG's in the last 20-ish years, so its nothing new to me, but this would be my first CoC Keeper experience. Because of that, I'll probably start with a published adventure, or a deviation from one.

This probably wouldn't start until February, so I'm just looking for feedback and discussion right now. A few questions:

1) Are people more interested in an ongoing campaign, or a short, one-off adventure? (One-off's can always turn into longer campaigns, I suppose, if anyone lives. ;) )

2) What eras/types of characters/game style are people most interested in? I've been thinking about:
a) US Prohibition Gangster Stuff.
b) WWII era. The story/scenario would probably intertwined with the actual war.
c) Post apocalyptic (this is a tough one, in my mind, but I'd like to see what people think)
d) Modern Day, possibly Special Forces/Military Stuff.

I'm open to anything though!

Thoughts?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

I think I spend the most time bumping around this site, hoping its time for me to post.

How DARE you? Do you pull eighteen-to-twenty-hour days a lot and spend most of the time bumping around? No? I didn't think so. The insomniac wins on that account. 8)

On that other note, hmm, I like ... well ... a through d. Hope that helps you somewhat. :lol:
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Do you want another game? If so, what would you like?

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

Hey everybody, hey

I think I spend the most time bumping around this site, hoping its time for me to post. I could probably use that time more productively - by Keeper-ing a game! I always have a little extra time

I've DM'ed/ref'ed many RPG's in the last 20-ish years, so its nothing new to me, but this would be my first CoC Keeper experience. Because of that, I'll probably start with a published adventure, or a deviation from one. 110 points for attributes?

This probably wouldn't start until February, so I'm just looking for feedback and discussion right now. A few questions:

1) Are people more interested in an ongoing campaign, or a short, one-off adventure? (One-off's can always turn into longer campaigns, I suppose, if anyone lives. ;) ) <shrugs>

2) What eras/types of characters/game style are people most interested in? I've been thinking about:
a) US Prohibition Gangster Stuff. done to death
b) WWII era. The story/scenario would probably intertwined with the actual war. interesting
c) Post apocalyptic (this is a tough one, in my mind, but I'd like to see what people think) naw
d) Modern Day, possibly Special Forces/Military Stuff. maybe

I'm open to (to or for?) anything though!

Thoughts?
gezellig
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by gezellig »

I'm a sucker for classic stuff - but you know...jumping into modern day playing a special forces medic or similar might appeal.

My vote is for a "D".

I have predominantly been Keeper in CoC, but am always itching to play. I've never played online...but have been enjoying reading - and as a writer (http://www.danieldonahoo.com/).

I'm keen to try my hand at it.[/quote]
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

Re: campaign vs. one-shot. Fun one-shots end up as campaigns anyway because people want to keep going.

Multiple choice: b would be interesting. On a side note, I highly recommend Declare by Tim Powers. Partially set during WWII, it's got espionage with supernatural creepiness subtly woven in and slowly revealed. A wonderful read, and re-read.

If you were proposing to start a game now, I'd say, "No way do I have time for a fifth game, or the brainspace for another character." And then I might try to sneak in later, like I did for WH. February's far enough away that I don't have to think about it yet.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Sounds like a WWII game would be popular - woo hoo, that would be my top choice!

I think you're right, Imme - a one-shot can easily move into a longer one if people like it.

Please feel free to post more thoughts and ideas if you like.
gezellig
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by gezellig »

WW2 sounds alright.

I'd been keen to play an Australian soldier who somehow finds himself out of his depth and who tries to charm his way out of trouble...
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Oh dear... I'm coming up with some interesting concepts for characters in WWII. Maybe I should wait until after I've had some sleep before I worry too much about this.

Edit: Not that I won't have plenty of time before I need to worry about it. Just saying, warning to self: Don't so much as consider character concepts when over-tired and strained from homework.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Funny, I was thinking about using an area where the Australians fought..

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-bat ... kokoda.htm

The Kokoda trail was a nasty campaign. The threat of disease and the intense heat was on par with the dangers of the Japanese Army lurking in the jungles ahead.

We'll see..
gezellig
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by gezellig »

Sleep? In Adelaide, at 4pm?
gezellig
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by gezellig »

hmmm. kokoda trail. tropical jungle. japanese. yeah think I prefer that to Europe.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

:lol: You don't know me very well, do you? I'm the famous (or so I like to think) insomniac who posts at all hours of the day or night. Hence why I'm nearing the top of the list of posters with only two or three months worth of experience on this site. I only had about five hours sleep last night. I could use another nap.

gezellig
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by gezellig »

Ah - you obviously don't have kids. I've been living on less than 6 hours sleep a night for I've forgotten how long!

But yes - I understand...and a lazy little nap on an afternoon in Adelaide sounds like a lovely idea.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Looks like there's a fair few games set for January. This website has all of a sudden exploded with campaigns. I wonder how many campaigns came and went before I arrived? This site's been open for a year.

coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Maybe I'll wait a while then..
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

No way! If you've got enough people interested, go for it. That's not what I meant. I was just congratulating c4xtc on it's population growth.

coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Well, the idea is stewing in my head, so it'll happen sometime. I'm a bit worried that players are going to spread themselves too thin on this website, and everything will implode. Stupid, eh?

I'm pretty sure its going to start in the early days of the Kokoda Trail Campaign. The choice of characters will probably be somewhat limited - Australian soldiers/officers or Papuan guides/bearers... maybe a few other options, but no Dilettantes or anything like that. :wink:

Once I get a bit further along, I'll provide background information on the situation. You won't need to be a WWII historian to play this.

If the characters become involved in any large-scale gunfights, it should be pretty fun - I have a way to resolve the rest of the battle flowing around the characters to a small scale, so weapons will be whooshing past you and people will be charging around you, and be affected by your actions as well. It will be easy for the characters to get lost/overrun if they're not paying attention to the goings-on around them.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

Don't worry about me my blood is filled with multitask, if I'm not busy, I'm cranky :wink:
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Oh no! Sorry to gank the thread but...

Thewhatch is catching up to my post count.

STOP THE PRESSES!

This isn't right.

I must start Keeping more games. To stay on top. Must not lose crown to n00b. :lol:

welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by welsh »

Hey Coffee-

I am thinking of a large post-apocalyptic game that might utilize multiple sites and perhaps a few keepers. This way you'd be co-keeping and not keeping on your own- make life easier for you. This is an expansion of hte zombie apocalpypse game- a blood brothers type campaign. We won't be getting it going for a few months yet and I'll be doing much of the prep.
Let me know if you are interested.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”