IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Bill Johns and several other people attempt to understand the significance of the appearance of a new drug named Morpheus and its use in an experiment with college students as test subjects.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Post by Mr. Handy »

David Rittenhouse Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania
10:00 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

Richard Cane sat behind his desk in the Math/Physics/Astronomy library on the third floor of the David Rittenhouse Laboratory where he worked. The library was fairly empty at the moment. The only other person currently present was Professor Christopher Harland, an astrophysics professor who was a frequent visitor to the library for obvious reasons. He had come this morning to do some research for a paper he was writing on black holes. Richard and Christopher were friends, of sorts - if Christopher could be said to have any friends. Richard had learned a lot about astronomy from the professor since the previous year, when he had started working in the library, and the professor had in turned learned some things about computers from him.
OOC,Feel free to interact. I'll get you started with the plot when the time comes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: IC-Chapter 1-The Cygnet Committee(Richard/Christopher)

Post by CrackheadC. »

As Richard absentmindedly flipped through a book on the history of firearms, his topic de jour, he stopped at the chapter on rifling. He was wearing a pair of tan slacks, a freshly pressed white shirt and his black tie, still knotted, hung loosely around his neck. Richard's red hair had about a month of growth on his last high n' tight haircut, but it was still presentable - far more presentable than some of the students wandering around the school. Richard had definitely relaxed a bit since getting out of the military, but the Marines stick with you long after you are gone.

"You see, Chris. This is math and science that makes sense, like electricity. Accuracy, distance, and power all increased by proper rifling in the gun barrel." Richard tapped his book as he made his point, "And now you're trying to tell me that there are spots of...nothing, in space, that eat everything that gets near them. And it's all just gone?" Richard was a smart guy, a curious student, and good for a decent conversation - but sometimes his weak spots showed through significantly. He wasn't ashamed to admit to what he didn't know or understand.

Edit:
OOC,Thanks for getting this start, I hope things are going better for you Mr. Handy. I wanted to know, did you still intend to do the 2 or 3 secret pm'd to us about our characters?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I still haven't slept much, but I have hope that things will get better in June. I don't intend to send secrets via PM. Instead, the information will be revealed in the IC thread.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cyberpunk
Layman
Layman

Post by Cyberpunk »

Christopher muttered to himself as he scanned over the books. Writing on a nearby notepad, the professor shook his head, scrubbing his black hairs with the other hand. The Physicists was simply left stumbled at the thought of singularities – such an interesting subject matter which, while explainable logically, simply made no sense mathematically. Numerous equations filled his notepad, many scribbled out only to be rewritten, and scribbled out yet again. How fickle he was.

”Not exactly nothing. If we use that approach, there’ll always be the slightest of confusion. There is something, but it is, for all practical purposes, infinitely small. It is something, but we cannot see it, light cannot escape.” The physicist lifted a sheet of paper, and drawn upon it were several lines which, quite frankly, appeared to be simply that, lines, ”It’s not gone at all, no, but that would truly be interesting. It tears things apart. Even atoms.”

Leaning back in his chair, Christopher sighed, closing his eyes for some moments as a headache caused his head to throb. Despite his love for physics, the fine art was a bit heavy on the mind. ”You are right. Electricity, guns, all that make much more sense. But that’s why I find it dull. I prefer the things that simply do not make sense, the things that defy explanation. Why do you think I’m learning about computers from you?” he said with a chuckle.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Okay, the things aren't gone. I guess that works with that rule you told me - matter can't be destroyed - so it goes somewhere or is changed. Still it's a pretty scary idea. I can practically feel your headache from here." Richard leans back on his chair legs, "Sometimes things in life need to be a little more simple. Think about how much work you'd get done with a computer that can do all the math for you and the science-ing up to you."
Cyberpunk
Layman
Layman

Post by Cyberpunk »

Christpher shook his head as he took another look over the scribblings on his paper. With a sigh of resign, he dropped his pencil on the table and turned his chair towards Richard. ”That would be quite a bit easier. But it would make me feel a bit uneasy. What if the computer makes a mistake in the math?”

The professor stood for a moment and stretched, interlocking his fingers as he rose both arms high. Stretching simply felt so good, but he never knew why. Christopher felt rather light headed from the quick standing and sat back in the chair, nearly losing balance as he let himself drop rather fastly.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Well I suppose if you have a smart guy put the right formulas in once the computer will spit it out right every time. Then you just adjust it here and there if you need to try something new." Richard knew computers, how to use them, the electrical end, all the parts and what they do, but he didn't really have the mind for the programming aspect.

When Christopher flopped back down into his chair Richard looked up. "Careful now, you know that sitting around here too long will give you a headrush." Richard closed his book and stood up. He paced around his desk a few times and yawned. "Did you eat breakfast? I only had a coffee, but I'm starving."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Cyberpunk had to withdraw from the game, so I am writing [b]Christopher[/b] out at this point. He could still be reintroduced later if things change.
"No, I didn't get breakfast either," said Christopher. "I think I'll head out and pick some up. I know you have to stay here while you're on the job, so I'll bring you back something. See you later." He left the library.

A few minutes later, a familiar figure entered the library, one that Richard had never expected to see again. Curtis Farrell, a CIA man he had worked with at Khe Sanh, looked much the same as he had last year, the last time Richard had seen him. Curtis was a short, bald man with glasses that concealed deeply penetrating dark eyes. He didn't look at all like a spy, which was somewhat of an asset in the intelligence business. He looked like he would be more at home in this library than out in the field. He wore a black suit and tie, and he strode up to Richard's desk after looking to make sure nobody else was around. "Good morning, Major Cane," he said, sticking out his hand. Then he uttered the words that Richard had dreaded hearing from him. Even before they were out of his mouth, he was half expecting them. "Your country needs you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Richard shakes Curtis' hand warily. There was no reason to lose all semblance of civility just because the man was about to ruin his life again. Richard sighed, that wasn't fair to Curtis, he was just a messenger with a familiar face - one that could talk to Richard more calmly than someone he didn't know. Plus he was good people - he helped a lot at Khe Sanh. It was the people that Curtis represented that were the problem - they were the ones that were definitely going to pull the rug out on his life again. The worst part is knowing that this is only a courtesy. All the gears are surely in motion and they are just telling Richard that he is going. There is no refusal; not in these days of 'secret communists' and everyone who shows a little dissent suddenly being a Soviet sleeper agent.

"It's good to see you again Farrell, I wish it could have been under better circumstances."
Richard takes a step back, but stands at attention. "So, what does our dear Uncle Sam need with me this time? He is aware that I have done my duty right? That I have done more than most men's entire family lines have done and will do." Richard keeps his anger and frustration in check. The tension is there and noticeable, but once he volunteers or is 'voluntold' for his duty he won't be able to second guess his government. Even if second-guessing and cursing them was all he did in Vietnam.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we're well aware of the great work you've done," said Curtis. "That's one of the reasons I was sent to contact you. I know you've been discharged from your duty, but once a Marine, always a Marine, right? Don't worry, this won't be dangerous like the stuff we did in 'Nam, and no travel is required. You were selected because you happen to be ideally placed and we know that you're dependable."

Curtis pulled over a chair, spun it around so its back was to Richard, and straddled it backwards, crossing his arms on the chair back and leaning forward on it. "Some of this is going to sound like hooey," he continued. "Hell, I thought it was too when I first heard about it. But they gave me a pretty convincing demonstration. Maybe it was some kind of stage magician's trick, but I can't figure out how they did it if it was. Tell me, do you know anything about remote viewing?"
OOC,[b]Richard[/b], please make an Occult roll to see if you do know anything.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Glad to know it's just because I'm a convenient asset." Richard pulled up his own chair and sat down.

"I can't say that I know what remote viewing is. Is it something like using computers to look at photographs?" Richard leaned forward, his interested piqued.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, nothing like that," said Curtis. "Naturally, none of what I tell you leaves this room. Remote viewing is looking at a location without actually being there, using the power of one's mind. I know it sounds nuts, but the men at the top are convinced it can be done. The Soviets are working on it, and so we need to work on it too. You can see what an asset it would be for intelligence if it can be done."

He paused and scracthed his chin, then continued. "One of the professors here at Penn, Dr. Gregory Anderson, is a CIA asset. He has developed a drug which he calls Morpheus that he believes can allow someone to engage in remote viewing while asleep. He's running some tests here on it, using student volunteers. They don't know the true purpose of the experiment. As far as they know, the drug is supposed to enable lucid dreaming - the ability to control one's dreams. It's supposed to do that too, but there's more to it than that. The first round of tests were a couple of weeks ago, and everything went fine with only minor setbacks. The second round is due to start tomorrow night and last all weekend. But there have been some worrying developments. Dr. Anderson's son Brian was arrested last night for dealing drugs, and he had stolen a sample of Morpheus. The cops got their hands on it, and they claim one of their officers drank it. Now they're poking around, which might draw undue attention. There have been other worrying signs. A campus security guard reported seeing a prowler last night inside the biomedical building where Dr. Anderson has both his lab and his office. The guard chased the guy, but he got away, and he never got a good look at him. The burglar was short, maybe a kid, and he escaped on a bicycle. Maybe it was just someone pulling a prank or looking to make a buck. But maybe it's something more. The timing is a bit suspicious."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Richard took in everything Curtis was saying. He looked away from Curtis as he spoke, but leaned his right ear towards him - a sign that he was listening more intensely than normal. "So you are saying that the higher ups think that it is possible to perform some sort of invisible surveillance on a place while you are asleep. And they think it is possible to actually affect the real world while using this drug. Let's ignore for a moment the fact that this would almost certainly result in some sort of assassination version of M.A.D." Richard turned back towards Curtis, "What you're saying is that the CIA has an advanced science research asset here, as well as... valuable resources that they have been testing on students." Richard grimaced, "Come on Curtis. You saw what that Agent Orange stuff did first hand. None of us knew what we were walking into - Vietcong or GIs. The idea what they would just throw caution to the wind again is...discomforting to say the least."

Richard
counts off on his fingers, "Let's get this straight. 1. CIA research is stolen by the son of the asset. 2. The asset's son is arrested by regular police officers with the mystery drug. 3. One of the officers ingests the drug - which by the way is complete amateur hour. 4. And finally there is a evidence of someone either casing the lab to break in, or preparing to break in. Sure they could steal anything in there to make money, but when you have kids on campus taking the drug and it is becoming Philly's worst kept secret, it is doubtful that is something else." Richard ends on his last finger.

"Did I miss anything? What do you want me to do about this? And why should I help Uncle Sam again anyway?"
Richard was pretty sure he had no options here, but perhaps the government did have something he wanted - or at least would make an offer for his work. It was the least they could do for him, instead of bullying him around like some pawn.
OOC,On the off chance you don't remember,MAD stands for Mutually Assured Destruction. The hot button thing of the cold war nuclear arms race.
Edit,Fixed formatting issues.
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Wed May 30, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They believe the drug might be used for invisible surveillance, yes," said Curtis, "but not that it can actually affect the real world. There have been no results to indicate that it could. No, its purpose is observation only. Still quite valuable in our line of work. Other than that, you've summed it up nicely. I'm skeptical of the police saying that one of theirs ingested the drug, which is why I used the word 'claim.' I find it hard to believe that they could be that stupid. It's possible that they just said that in order to keep it. Morpheus is not illegal since nobody's even heard of it, so they have no legal justification to hold onto it and would be obligated to return it to its rightful owner, Dr. Anderson. The other drugs that his son had on him were most certainly illegal and enough to send him to jail for some time. He had attempted to sell the Morpheus, but nobody had bought it before his arrest.

"The drug has been tested safely on animals before there was any human testing. Human testing, however, is essential, as animals cannot tell us their dreams. Every possible precaution is taken to ensure the students' safety, and they all are required to sign waivers in order to participate in the experiment. They do not know what the drug is, and they do not get to take it with them. The conditions are carefully controlled. That's one reason I was sent to recruit your help, to ensure that the second round of experiments are carried out safely and without disruption.

"Why should you help Uncle Sam again? Patriotism is a pretty good reason in my book. Do you really want the Reds having such a huge advantage over us if they're able to complete their research first - or to steal ours? And to emphasize the benefits of capitalism, you will be generously compensated for your assistance. Your mission, if you decide to accept it, will be to investigate these strange happenings around the experiment and get to the bottom of any interference or espionage you find, as well as to safeguard it and ensure that it goes off without a hitch and to make sure that secrets stay secret. Talking to Dr. Anderson would be a good start. He's Company too, so you can speak to him about all of this. He knows a lot more than I do. You'll be able to contact me to report on your progress and to ask for information that I have access to, but the Company can't help you beyond that. It's not legal for the CIA to conduct operations on American soil. That's where you come in. We really do not have anyone else who can do this on such short notice. I know you figured you were out of this life, Richard, and I'm sorry I have to drag you back into this, but there wasn't any choice. I'm just the messenger here, anyway. I serve the same masters you once did. All of this is completely unofficial, of course. This conversation never happened. As always, if you are caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions," he added with an amused expression, paraphrasing the oft-repeated line from the beginning of episodes of Mission: Impossible. "What do you say? Can we count on you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Richard thinks about it for a bit before answering. "I'll do it, but on two conditions. First, if I die or something happens I want the money to go to my next of kin - if I go, I don't want this to be for nothing. And two, and most importantly, when this is done - I'm done. No more 'One last jobs' or anything. It's this and that is it." Richard looks Curtis in the eye before continuing, "I love my country, never let it be said that I don't, but a man can only give so much. And I'm at my limit."

Richard stands up, "I assume this job will be taken care of while I work, or should I expect to look for another job when I'm finished working for The Company?"

"I guess, I should start with Dr. Anderson. Do you know where he is?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," said Curtis. "I was half-joking at the end there. We don't expect this job to be dangerous, but you never know what could happen, especially if foreign agents turn out to be involved. It's been arranged for someone to cover for you for the rest of today and tomorrow for 'personal leave.' You don't work here during the weekend anyway, so that's free. The experiment ends early Monday morning, so everything should be over by then one way or another, and you should be able to report here for work that same day. Thank you for helping, Richard. This really means a lot.

"Dr. Anderson's office is Room 322 in John Morgan Hall." Richard hadn't spent much time in the biomedical building, but he knew where it was. "He was attending his son's arraignment earlier this morning at 9:00, but he should be back in his office by the time you get there." Curtis took a familiar-looking electronic gadget out of his suit's pocket, along with a business card with a phone number on it and nothing more, and he handed both to Richard. "This is a scrambler, the latest model. If you need to get in touch with me, call the number on the card. A girl who works for us will answer and say 'Blattstein, Morris, and Stewart.' You will identify yourself as 'Floyd Jarvis' and ask to speak to 'Lewis Black.' She will respond 'Hold, please' and place you on hold. While you're on hold, hook up your scrambler and she'll hook up hers. When she picks up again, you may speak freely."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Got it. You Company men and your secret codes. Seriously." Richard grabs his things and heads to the door before turning around and extending his hand to Curtis. "You're a good man Curtis. Keep up the fight and with luck we won't be seeing each other again." Richard gives Curtis a brief salute and heads out the door to the science facility.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

John Morgan Hall, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
10:30 AM - Thursday, July 17, 1969

"Thanks again, Richard," said Curtis, gripping his hand firmly and shaking it. "Good luck."

Richard left the library and made his way across campus to John Morgan Hall, which housed the School of Medicine. It contained laboratories, classrooms, and faculty offices. He passed through the lobby, where a handful of students and professors were passing through on their way to and from classes. Stairs led up to the upper floors, and a hallway led back toward classrooms and labs on this floor. A bulletin board was posted on the wall on the left side of the lobby, with notices and flyers stuck to it with pushpins and thumbtacks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Richard stopped, taking a moment to look at the bulletin board for anything of interest and to give himself a moment to think about what he will say to Dr. Anderson.

After a few seconds scanning the board, Richard will make his way to Dr. Anderson's office - following any necessary maps or signs to get there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Richard noticed a flyer on the bulletin board that drew his attention:
Undergraduate and Graduate Volunteers Needed for Psychology Experiment
Earn $50.00 For Your Participation
We are seeking undergraduate and graduate students for a psychological experiment about sleep and dreams. The study will last three consecutive nights, and volunteers will need to sleep in the lab overnight. Participants will need to arrive at John Morgan Hall, Room 110 at 8:00 PM and will stay until approximately 8 to 10 AM the morning after, depending upon when they awaken. Snacks will be provided in the evenings, and breakfast in the mornings. The study will be conducted twice, from Thursday, July 3 through Sunday, July 6 and from Friday, July 18 through Monday, July 21. To volunteer, please contact Dr. Gregory Anderson, either in person at his office in Room 322 during normal office hours or by telephone at 5-2009.
The phone number must have only had five digits because the first two digits for the University's exchange had been assumed.

Richard headed upstairs, figuring that Room 322 would be on the third floor. He climbed two flights of stairs to get there, and it didn't take him long to find the door to Room 322. However, there was a sheet of paper taped to the door that read:
Professor Anderson's office hours are canceled today (Thursday, July 17). Please see Assistant Professor Nancy Remington in Room 325 if you require assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.
However, he could see light coming from under the door.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 1”