The Dead White World

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
drarthrobalanus
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

The Dead White World

Post by drarthrobalanus »

"On November 2nd, 1936, the stars align."

I would like to run a game based off that premise. More specifically, it would be a game using Kenneth Hite's Trail of Cthulhu rules, loosely following a scenario written by Graham Walmsley. I would like to reveal as little as possible about the actual scenario, but if you are so inclined, you can find out the basic premise by looking up 'The Dead White World'. I have ran several play-by-post games in various different systems, including finishing a game of The Haunting on these very forums some years back. I am quite familiar with the classic BRP CoC rules, but ToC and the GUMSHOE system have intrigued me for quite a while, as has this scenario. It would be a fairly classic Call of Cthulhu-type scenario with a twist of the setting.

Ideally, I would be looking for five players, who would not mind starting with a pre-constructed character. I figure this would make it easier to get a gist of the rules without having to build a new character, and it gives me quite a bit more narrative flexibility for inserting the player party into the opening scenes. Familiarization with the Trail of Cthulhu rules wouldn't be necessary, as I myself are still getting them down. Owning the actual rules, on the other hand, would be a huge boon, though I guess not strictly necessary, as long as you're keen on playing.

So, any interest for five hapless investigators who happen to be around when the stars align?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: The Dead White World

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Welcome drathrobalanus,
welcome back to the boards. What was your former user name? I might manage to tweak it back to you.
Anyway, regarding the scenario you are considering to run: I can set it up for you as well as join in the game. Be aware that I have read Graham´s scenario and that I´ve never played that system.

Ah, and I validated your account.
Send me the specifics of the game and I´ll hook you up.

Cheers!
/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

Hi, I'm interested. I've had the rulebook for a while, but it's been tough to find a pbp game, so I decided to focus on BRP games; however, this could be my chance to get back into ToC.

What's your posting rate? I'd like at least 3 posts/week. :)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

drathrobalanus is one of the top 50 posters in the past (did some digging). Posting rates are affected by many things, though. I´m fine with any rate the game will be at.

Cheers!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back, drathrobalanus! I'm interested in playing. I think I have the ToC players' rules in a PDF as part of one of those bundles RPGNow put together. I'm not familiar with the rules, but I'm eager to learn and I have read along with the other ToC games that ran on these boards. If you're OathInBlood, I'm even more interested. I played in The Haunting here and enjoyed it immensely. If you ever want to pick up Dissonance or Hecatomb again, I can fish them out of the Graveyard.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
drarthrobalanus
Keeper
Keeper

Thanks Syrinx, that's much appreciated. I had no idea what my former user name was, until Mr. Handy reminded me. I am/was OathinBlood, and I do quite fondly remember that Haunting game! I also vaguely remember Dissonance/Hecatomb, and have that specific pbp-shame of an unfinished game. You using a pocket mirror to reflect a ray of sunlight into that undead corpse's tongue to stop it from summoning a dimensional shambler is still vivid in my mind though, haha. And excellent! Looks like we have at least three interested players, I will give it some more time to get two more, which would be ideal, though I don't mind modifying the amount of players. I've always preferred a minimal amount anyways. My posting rate will vary, though should be quite frequent. I can at least post once a day. We will probably go down to the lowest common denominator with posting rates, as to not leave anyone out of the action, though hopefully it will be enough to make some decent progress weekly.

I'm still not sure of Trail of Cthulhu. It looks solid, if somewhat minimalist. It's basically rolling a d6 and occasionally using points from a limited pool, which adds some mechanical tension. I do love BRP though, but I figure I should at least try Trail of Cthulhu once. Anyways, if your interest is intact, I'll list a brief summary of the pre-made characters. Pick as you will, first dibs gets first pick, and then I will PM you the character's stats and story in full. And yes, Agnes and Richard are husband and wife.

Mark Golightly, duty-bound journalist & BBC radio reporter
Agnes Bartlett, practical country wife & best-selling romance novelist
Richard Bartlett, traditional farmer & self-trained botanist
Irene Midgeley, successful female doctor at London Child Guidance Clinic
Edith Peel, field archaeologist freshly returned from Africa
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I´ll try Mark Golightly, the duty-bound journalist & BBC radio reporter.
/Dave
TVblog

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Richard Bartlett, traditional farmer & self-trained botanist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! That thing with the mirror would have been even cooler if it had actually worked. Of course, my idea later on where we used a dead PCs corpse was great too, and much more effective.

I remember you had once talked about running Edge of Darkness as a sequel to The Haunting. I'd be game for that too, but you might want to finish this one first before you start another game. I think I did actually play it once in 1994, but I don't remember much about it except for the hobo. I know Yockenthwaite is still around - she's playing in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign. I don't think the other players from The Haunting are still around, but a PM might reach them.

I'd like to play Irene Midgeley. I also prefer BRP compared to what I've seen of ToC, but I'll give it a try. I love apoclayptic scenarios, and I love London, so I'm really excited about this one (I've also heard good things about it on YS.com, but nothing spoiler-y).

I had actually been thinking of playing a BBC radio announcer at some point not too long ago, but I can always play a character like that in a different scenario (and one where the BBC would actually still be on the air).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

My enthusiasm for ToC rules is waning, but it's up to you Keeper. An unfamiliar system may detract from roleplaying . . .

Mr. Handy, I didn't realise you were such an anglophile!
drarthrobalanus
Keeper
Keeper

Though somewhat intriguing, my affection for the ToC mechanics is fast waning as well. Seems simplistic, and with the points pool it seems better suited for non-pbp session play. I may attempt a quick conversion of the characters tomorrow morning and just switch the scenario over to BRP, for old time's sake, before sending you guys your character PMs. Hopefully in that time we'll attract another player or two. I definitely don't regret buying ToC though, the book is gorgeous and Hite's alternate ideas for mythos entities are nothing short of fascinating.

I do recall that, Mr. Handy. Hard to believe that was five years ago. Good to know Yockenthwaite is still kicking around. I haven't ran a PBP in a while, I think I'll flex my weight with this one and see how it goes before considering old revivals, though that would be quite the continuation. Man, reading my old games in the Hall of Fame/Graveyard is a little painful. So many childish mistakes on my part. It's nice to be back here though.

Also, I will apologize now if I mishandle some of the setting. This game starts in rural England and will probably wind through London at some point. I myself am Canadian, so I'm better acclimated to American culture than British culture, so if I mess up some of the slang or geography let me know.
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Pickman37 »

Hi. I would be willing to join if this is going down as BRP but it would depend on what kind of posting rate you would be expecting. Presently, I am posting at a rate of a post a day but this might drop off for the next month or two when RL gets busy. Let me know what's shaking and we can work it from there!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm an American, but I've always been an Anglophile (much like HPL himself). I love British television, and I've grown up watching it on public TV stations, starting with Doctor Who. I've amassed quite a collection of British shows on DVD. I've been to London four times so far, and I have plans to go again in November. I also visited Vancouver a couple of years ago, and it was great to actually see some of the places where Dissonance was set and ride the Skytrain.

I'd rather play BRP if you don't mind doing the conversion, but I want to play either way.

You might want to ask Yockenthwaite if she'd be interested in playing this game. She'll be away until Sunday, so it may be some time before she can get back to you.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
drarthrobalanus
Keeper
Keeper

Alright, so I will be converting this to BRP, after hearing your guys' preferences and considering my own. Will be converting 2-3 of the characters tonight, PMs will be out shortly.

Pickman37, would love to have you in the game. One post a day sounds good, but if your posting rate does drop down in the next couple of months would you be okay with being mildly NPCed or moved along so as to match the rate of the other players? I've found that to be effective at preventing standstills in an ongoing PBP, but let me know if you have a problem with that. If not, feel free to pick one of the two remaining characters, either Agnes Bartlett or Edith Peel.

I would love to Keep for Yockenthwaite again, I will definitely PM her after Sunday and see if she has any interest in playing.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Creating a place holder for your campaign, classic era. Just tell me what to put in the description and I´ll change it.
Set up your own topics as you please.
The Dead White World
Cheers!
/Dave
TVblog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've added you to the Keepers group, so you'll see your name in blue now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

drarthrobalanus,

On second thought, I may have been over-zealous. I would probably operate better at about 2 to 3 posts a week, still being new to the whole PBP. I've been having a good run here the last week and a half and may have jumped the gun. I'd hate to start a game then not be able to keep up or not be able to keep up the other games I'm obligated to. Maybe it would be best if I relinquish my spot in case someone volunteers who could keep the pace better. However, I'll still keep my name in the mix in case you are short the players you need.

Sorry about that. I was looking forward to the game as well as playing with a fellow Canuck. Hopefully, things still pan out well here. As mentioned, I'll still allow myself to be available but I would hate to rob someone else of a chance who may be better at holding up their end of the bargain :D

As well, I'll be sure to follow the game in case an alternate is needed at a later date...
drarthrobalanus
Keeper
Keeper

While thoughtful, there's hardly dogs chomping at the bit to play this. 2-3 posts a week will be fine, I'd rather you have the chance to participate firsthand. Go ahead and choose your character.

I've been a little slow on this, my apologies. All character PMs will be out by midnight tomorrow.
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pickman37 »

Alright drarthrobalanus, I'm in ;)

Thanks for letting me join!

My first choice would be to go with Agnes Bartlett but if you convince Yockenthwaite to play, I'm flexible enough that I could play Edith Peel if Yockenthwaite should want the Bartlett character...
drarthrobalanus
Keeper
Keeper

Okay, I lied about the character PMs being out two days ago, but they're all out now. If all goes well I'll start the play thread tonight, if not than some time soon. Let me know if you have any issues or comments about the character sheets, it's been a while since I ran BRP so I may be a touch rusty on the details.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”