OOC Chit-Chat

A resort town in cheery America is a major holiday destination that sits upon the shores of the beautiful Lake Toluca. It's a fun and fantastic location with plenty to see and do whether as one of our many wonderful tourists or as brand new residents. Catch a film or theatrical production at Artaud Theatre then retire to Annie's Bar for drinks with friends. Check out the Lakeside Amusement Park and see the historical Lighthouse that is still in operation certain days of the year. Spend a romantic evening on the Observation Deck or an evening at Pete's Bowl-o-Rama. Or take a stroll through Rosewater Park.
There's lots to see and do and that's not even mentioning White Claudia, The Order, skinned dogs, alien geometries that occasionally warp the town, nor the psychologically-induced misery and torments that spring fully formed into existence while walking the merry streets.
Welcome!

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

OOC Chit-Chat

Post by Laraqua »

Here is where you introduce yourself as a player, shoot the breeze, gas bag about this, that or the other, or talk about your favorite Survival Horror games and why. Feel free to take the Chit-Chat thread in whichever direction you like, really. It's up for conversational grabs!
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Re: OOC Chit-Chat

Post by Laraqua »

How rules-savvy and Call of Cthulhu knowledgeable are you?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Laine »

I've read about 20 of Lovecraft's stories, but am not really familiar with the game system. I mostly familar with the World Of Darkness gaming systems. I have downloaded the 5th edition COC rulebook online, so I've read up on some of the rules.
A friend of mine and I play single player Cthulhu games but don't have a larger group to play with.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laraqua wrote:How rules-savvy and Call of Cthulhu knowledgeable are you?
Well, you already know that I'm quite knowledgeable about the rules and the game, since you've asked me rules questions before. I've been a Keeper for the last five years. I played Call of Cthulhu in college in the mid-1990s, but I don't think I played between then and the middle of the last decade. Since then I've been playing every chance I get. Other than play-by-post, that's exclusively at conventions. I'm also Keeper for a few games here. You know about Zombie Apocalypse already, since you're both in it. That's the one that started in 2006 and is still going. Space Oddity is based on Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, though it is set in Philadelphia in 1969. I've been running it for over two and a half years now. My Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign has been running since the summer of 2010. The first game, The Terror Out of Time, was set in 1930 London and took almost a year to conclude. The second scenario, The Ninth Planet, is set on Pluto in the year 2112. It started a few months ago and will probably finish at some point next year. Laraqua is playing in that one. I have plans for several further adventures in that campaign that will sample a wide variety of eras and settings.

I've played (old) World of Darkness before in college, almost entirely Vampire: the Masquerade. There was one convention WoD game I played in where all of the other players were werewolves and I played a Malkavian.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I've played a lot of WoD games in both LARP and table-top settings. In nWoD, I only haven't played Innocents and Promethean. In oWoD, the only games I've played were Vampire: the Masquerade, Wraith: the Risen, and Demon: the Fallen (Well, I've mostly played it).

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Kadael »

I got the sixth edition rulebook for my birthday this year. The last (and first) time I played was months ago, and I've never been a player, just a keeper. It was quite an experience.

(We weren't the best group for it - we couldn't stay serious!)

I don't have the space or friends to play Call of Cthulhu physically, so I get my mythos-related enjoyment from other places. Being able to play online will fix that, I think.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Dr. Bloodworth
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Dr. Bloodworth »

Well, Call of Cthulhu was actually the first RPG I ever ran. I was running a solo game for a friend of mine for a while. Then I ran a couple games in college, about the time that the Delta Green setting came out. After that, I've found I have to run/play it online, since all the local RPGers are obsessed with DnD. So playing/running off and on for 20 years now.

I'll hopefully get my character up this afternoon or this evening.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I know! People have such a weird obsession with D&D. I can DM a game with zero effort and they'll love it and almost always attend 100% of the time despite it being a weekly weeknight game, and even World of Darkness games (which they say they like just as much) keep dying in the water because they just won't commit to them.

Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

I'll have my character sheet up tomorrow; my computer is borked so I'm doing everything on my phone.
I'm a smooth criminal and a neurotic lawyer with a crush on a pretty-boy author, and I'm being controlled by my creepy older brother (twice!) while I worry about not having a can opener.
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Do we have an estimated starting time for this game?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I'll be starting it this week though I understand that a few of the threads won't get off the ground until January if folks are busy and, even if they're not, I anticipate intermittent posting until then anyway. I have limited time at present so I'll focus on one thread / character per day until you're all up and running, starting with the first sheet poster and continuing downward.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Are we allowed to read each others' IC threads, or only our own?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Well, that's the first one up. Laine, over to you.

Next will be Dr. Bloodworth. I'll have yours up tomorrow!

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think you missed my question above, since you replied right after I posted. Are we allowed to read others' IC threads, or only our own?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Yeah, I didn't see that one. You can read other people's threads as things'll change up a bit between you all.

Besides, I'm sourcing neat pictures!

Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Having fun so far, actually it almost feels pretty real life table top. Thanks for keeping up with my posts.

Is there a FAQ for using the OCC and Spoiler button features?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I have never wrapped my head around those.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Oh and when I mark your skills with a (+), it means you can level them at the start of the next chapter.

Be aware that you can roll your own skill uses, or I'll do it for you to speed things along, depending on who's calling for it so it's not a really You or Me thing. If you have a strong preference either way, though, let me know. Otherwise, if you go:

I climb the mountain and rush over to the enemy - you roll on www.invisiblecastle.com and embed the link.

If I say:

You see nothing - then I'll roll for it for quickness' sake.

To embed a link, you select the words you want to highlight so they show up dark blue (clicking on the last letter and dragging the mouse over the first letter does it). Then click on the URL button above. Type in an = sign after the first URL and then paste in the weblink from invisiblecastle. Like so (but without the spaces):

You [url = http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3306578/]see[/url] nothing.

When using invisible castle, put [SH]Murphy as your name. That way if you keep rolling exceptional successes, I can double check that you're not just re-rolling 18 times. Other Keepers ask that you log in first so you can include what skill (i.e. Climb) you're using so they can make sure that's the one and only roll you've made but I'm fine if you don't so long as you indicate it in your text.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I put together some instructions here some time ago for Zombie Apocalypse (which I'm trying to finish updating, but I'm almost out of time tonight and don't think I'll make it).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Kadael
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Kadael »

There's a joke in this somewhere.

So a preschool teacher, a journalism student, a private investigator, and a lawyer walk into Silent Hill...

I love how strange Call of Cthulhu groups get.

Return to “Welcome to Silent Hill.”